Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I don't if they went to this composite intake manifold to save weight or money (or both), but it annoys me that they took what WAS a "bullet-proof" engine with the 3800, and then make this change which has led to numerous problems. I specifically bought my 2000 Impala BECAUSE it had the 3800 engine; of the problems I've had with the car (clunky intermediate steering shaft, warped rotors, etc.) I can dismiss them all except the upper intake manifold problem - this is the only regret/misgiving I've had about purchasing the car. Still love it, and mine was fixed under recall, but still one of those things that will nag me.
  • mfx007mfx007 Member Posts: 5
    I saw something that showed that the plastic intake saved substantially on cost and even more on weight.

Plastic should never be used as a substantial engine part. I don't care how well it is supposedly designed. Looks like the series III 3800 went back to AL.

The dealer changed the intake manifold and then noticed the cat was clogged. Fortunately the cat is covered to 80K miles and I have 70K. I never had a cat clog and I put tons on miles on all kinds of old heaps. Now I wonder what caused the cat to clog. If there is a hole in the intake, it will make the car run rich and ruin the cat. They speculated that a clogged cat could help put a hole in the intake. In that case the cat is clogging for some other reason. Maybe a leaky injector dumping fuel or I have seen reference to a poor fuel pressure regulator (for 90's vintage vehicles). I will have to keep an eye on the Fuel Consumption. If it is poor, then I know I still have a problem that may cause the cat to plug.

My rotors also warped. At least I got them replaced under warrantee at about 35K. They are not warped now, but the dealer says that need a brake job at 70K. I think that I have just started to notice the intermediate shaft clunk. That is a pain.

Maybe if GM spent less money on marketing and more money on development and agressive resolution of known field problems, they would not be in such bad shape. Coach K and Tiger Woods don't need the money that bad.
  • texboytexboy Member Posts: 1
    Impalas are quite reliable but have a few more problems. My father-in-law has a 2000, and had a 2003 (wrecked - total). I have a 2002 with the 3.8 liter engine. The 2000 had the steering link problem as did mine. The 2000 recently developed the common manifold coolant leak (98K) and appears to working on transmission issues. This is not surprising as regular maintenance (other than oil and tires) is not a priority.

In addition to the steering link, my 2002 with the 3.8 doesn't sound right when it cranks. The dealer looked at it three times and have extended the warranty on that item only. It always starts but hesitates on restarts when the engine is warm. Finally, it just developed the front-end rattle that I can feel through the steering wheel. That why I am checking the forum. It only has 42K.

I would hope for better as I am used to doing only regular maintenance up to 100K. Good luck.

Texboy
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    For what it's worth, the 3800 warm-starting issue is pretty common. I owned an '02 Monte Carlo and my sister owned an '02 Grand Prix...both with the 3800. Both of our cars had the exact same "problem." It was annoying but knowing it was normal eased my concern. I also had the intermediate steering shaft problem. I was reassured by the service dept that it was not a safety issue. That made me feel a little better but it would be nice if GM would fix the problems even if they aren't critical.
  • mfx007mfx007 Member Posts: 5
    I have the failed intake part.

I can see that the hole was the result of hot gasses from the EGR that "torched" a hole in the wall.

This site shows a picture of the EGR tube that comes out of the lower intake manifold that sticks into the plastic plenum. My Plenum have a "torched" hole opposite the tube.
    http://ken-co.com/manifold/default.htm

Seems the usuualy problem is general heating in the EGR area and there must be some coolant passages in the area that leak when the plenum degrades.

The dealer that fixed it and a few other dealers that I called did nto have a good idea as to what caused it and they have not seen it before.

They did say that it is plausible that a clogged catalytic converter could cause excessive exhaust to be routed back through the EGR.

Dealer indicated "internal defect" for cat, so hopefully the insides were busted up as the failure as opposed to fouled up from a poor running engine. In that case, with a new cat the problem shouldmmnot happen again.
  • james98james98 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2000 with only 49,000 we bought it new. In the past month if you put the air on it has a bad smell I am not sure what it smells like. But it is bad enough you will turn the air off. It does not matter if it is on recycle or not same smell. If you have the heat on there is no smell ?

Thanks for your help .

James
    If your Impala is an LS it should have come with a cabin air filter, which is accessed under the hood. I think the manual suggests changing this annually, so if you've never done so, it could be the source of your problem.
  • mawmaw2mawmaw2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Impala that I bought new; now has 114,000 miles on it; for the last year have been experiencing a frustrating problem with Security light--it will flash on and then go off; and shortly thereafter but never on a frequent basis, the car will not crank. It may be the same day or it may be weeks later; and then it may not do it for several months. I can sit and turn the key for several minutes and finally it will start. Just concerned I will be out somewhere and can't get it to crank and be stranded. Anyone else experienced this and what did you have to do to get corrected?
  • searay303searay303 Member Posts: 2
    Just a thought.....My z/28 acts like that sometimes. a member from a camaro board said it was the "DATS" . I dunno man , take it from there. it may be something totally different.
  • searay303searay303 Member Posts: 2
    Correction.....

thats "vats" not "dats"

sorry-
  • rbailey76rbailey76 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Impala did the same thing - took it to dealer and they said the key was getting worn down but when the security light starts to come on just turn key to on (do not try to start) let it ran a scan for about 15 minutes then it will reset itself, also they said to spray some WD40 into key hole or on key and they will keep it from sticking which will also cause the security system to come on.
  • rhoward23rhoward23 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have an Imapala LS, and it has the fog lights on the lower valance. Inside where the switch should be there is a delete plate. My question is the following:

Are all of the wiring harness made the same for every Imapala? meaning if I buy a switch will I be able to just plug it in.

Thanks
  • hchu1hchu1 Member Posts: 17
    I too finally had to get a new rearview mirror. My mirror had the same failure, but with the addition of the right side light switch not engaging the off position. It initially got stuck in the off position, with some persuasion from a pen knife it turned on.:D Then it wouldn't turn off.:(

Just as Nosirrahg post, a flat blade screw driver near the front end and it pops off. So go for it if you need to replace your mirror. By the way, I got my mirror at https://www.partszoneonline.com/index.php (GM p/n 10300491 good for the 2000) they had the least expensive price at $101.33 +$9.00 shipping. :shades:
  • mebecutiemebecutie Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 impala has done this twice now... No I don't have a heavy keychain. I put the key in the ignition, and it won't turn. The first time it happened, I quit trying and returned an hour later and it worked. The second time it happened was yesterday. So, I tried again today and it still won't turn. I guess my only option is to have it towed and see what the dealer says? :cry:
  • gailvgailv Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Impala LS is doing the same thing. I have had it to a garage several times. they told me it is the linkage in the transmission, but I think it is electrical. My security light comes on and I know it is not going to start. It may be today or tomorrow but it won't start.
    This isn't so much a problem as it is an annoyance. My driver's seatback has developed a squeak. Sounds like an old squeaky mattress. I first noticed a week or so ago and it has gotten progressively worse. I have black leather interior. Is there anyone else out there with this issue? I'm holding off on getting it fixed because I'm fairly certain I'll be told to leave it and I hate being stranded. Maybe I can roll this, the clicking dash, and hissing radio all into one service stop. :)
    I've been meaning to ask this question for a while but keep forgetting. Has anyone noticed a possible issue with the speedometer in the '06 Impala SS? I pass by a roadside radar with display and I consistently get clocked at 2 to 3 mph faster than what is displayed on my speedometer. The concerning element to this is that it is a 15 mph zone. If the calibration is off, it could mean an exponential error at higher speeds. Anyone have any thoughts? Oh, and as a "control", I went through the same radar zone with a different vehicle that seemed to be spot on.
    Borrow/buy a GPS unit and set it to display your current "real time" speed; then go out on the Interstate and set your cruise at 60 MPH and see what the GPS reads. Both my cars typically read higher than the actualy speed by 1-2 MPH.
    Yeah, a GPS would be nice or one can time oneself between mile markers. I just wanted to know if it was an issue for anyone else. Since the Impala now comes with three different wheel sizes (16, 17, 18 in), it may have been a detail they let slide by.
  • lodtcd4lodtcd4 Member Posts: 7
    I have found that when the car won't start and the passlock is acting up (which they haven't been able to fix)
    You have to wait about 10 minutes and use a different key to start it.
  • lnicolelacylnicolelacy Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue. Have you determined what it could possibly be?
  • shooeyshooey Member Posts: 1
    We recently bought a 2006 Impala. Very nice car. However, we noticed the stainless steel muffler, etc., is rusting! The car has 1200 miles on it!

We checked with the Service Dept. at the dealership. We were offered two choices: sand and paint the affected areas black, with a certification letter that will warranty it for the life of the car; or, switch the parts with another Impala, which, ultimately, would also rust.

We asked why GM puts defective parts on such a nice vehicle.

Has anyone else run into this situation?
    I have an SS and I've noticed some rust but I didn't pay much attention. I was assuming it was just the weld points but I'll take a closer look.
  • pcameronpcameron Member Posts: 7
    The dealer explained to me (as if they know, eh?) that the ignition cylinder interacts with the BCM (Body Control Module) and that is the Passlock system. The ignition reads your key, and if it thinks you are using a wrong key, it tells the BCM to shut everything down. Waiting 10 min. did not work for me, as I waited even a day with no results, although once it was only till the towtruck arrived, then it started. Crazy,huh! I have had no problem at all for 2 months now, having a new ignition and a new BCM at the same time.
  • maximus4maximus4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, quick question, i have a 2004 Impala LS, recently when i start her up, and pull away, even mild pressure on the gas pedal during acceleration brings up the "traction control active" message, and for the past two days i keep getting a "service traction control" message as well, im stationed overseas and there is not a GM dealer/service center anywhere and the mechanic shop on base is a joke, does anyone have any ideas what may cause this and or a remedy? thanks.
  • jamihojamiho Member Posts: 2
    I've had an 06 Impala SS since December and have noticed that my Garmin GPS always shows my speed to be faster than the speedometer. Usually at least a 2% difference.
    jamiho, Thanks for the feedback. I am going to measure mine against a GPS as well. I hate that it's indicating lower speed but at least now I can adjust accordingly.
  • stinkymarystinkymary Member Posts: 2
    I meant V6 3.4L
  • bhaveshcebhaveshce Member Posts: 3
    Hello friends,

I have a chevrolet impala LT. i can't adjust driver seat. I mean there is no option for move drive seat towards stearing. there are two buttons one is for up down seat and one is for push back the seat. there are one handle under other front seat for move seat forward and backward but there is no handle for driver seat.

pls help me how can i move forward the driver seat. pls can you mail me on patel_bhavesh@emc.com

Thanks & Regards,
    Bhavesh
  • jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    Try pushing the button you describe as the up/down forward. On my 2006 that button will move the seat up/down and forward/back.
  • christine10christine10 Member Posts: 2
    I have read thru several postings here concerning the Low Tire Pressure Light on the Impalas. My problem is a bit different. I have an '02 Impala and the LTP light keeps coming on so I have the tire pressures checked and they are never low (or 12 psi different from each other). It happened again today and I pulled into an NTB and they checked them again - all at exactly 35 psi (which is what Sears automotive inflated them to just the day before). So the light seems to be coming on even though the tires are OK - any suggestions as to what might be happening?
  • captsewercaptsewer Member Posts: 3
    I think the tire pressure is checked by the antilock break system. Each wheel has a speed sensor. If one wheel is rotating faster than all the others, when the car is going down the road is would be because it is smaller in diameter or low in air (the same thing of a smaller tire). so, you actually may have a problem with mud or other debris behind the wheel (tire).
  • csancsan Member Posts: 5
    I recently had the low tire pressure light and everythign was fine. Turns out it came because I had not reset it after getting tires rotated. Anytime you get your tires rotated you have to reset the low tire pressure light system. Check your manual for instructions on how to do this and you should be all set.
  • christine10christine10 Member Posts: 2
    Well, that makes sense because I did have quite a bit of work done on the ABS system - that light kept coming on and staying on also. I believe they ended up replacing that sensor. All of this work would not be covered if I'm out of warranty correct? I was surprised last week to find out that my catalytic converter was covered up to 80000 miles (mine went bad at 76000), so was hoping that maybe something like this sensor might still be covered??
    Thank you for reply. It resolve my problem.
    Hi frns,

I would like to know that is there any cruise control in chevrolet impala LT. If yes then pls let me know how can i do that? I also dont know the function of buttons which resides on stearing so if anybody know it pls let me know.

thanks & regards,
    Bhavesh
  • captsewercaptsewer Member Posts: 3
    Should I take to car back to diagnoise and not find anything wrong but to reprogram. Or should I find someone to remove the brain from the passlock system. Any ideas.
  • quoiabquoiab Member Posts: 1
    Help! I have a 2000 Chevy Impala and the windshield wipers are stuck in the middle of the window. They work but when you turn them off they stay in the middle of the windshield instead of going back into position. I tried resetting them but that didn't work. Any suggestions?
  • zizithzizith Member Posts: 11
    The salesman said it was against the law to disable to auto locks. :confuse:
    I have since read that it is not--they may be afraid of being sued, but I very much dislike the doors to lock when I take off and when I stop to let someone out, having to put it in drive. I have driven 50 yrs without anyone falling out of my cars.
    :D I know the menu shows several choices, but none of them allow me to choose to disable them altogether.

Does anyone know how to disable to power locks please? I had them disable my Chevy Venture in 98 when I bought it.
    :cry:
  • tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    In my 2001 it told in the owner book how to disable.
  • spark1espark1e Member Posts: 18
    Hello, the instrument lamps and all interior indicator lamps in my 01 Impala had been dimming and or going out completely, then back on briefly, all totally at random. Seemed like it must be a loose connection somewhere.

Then, after 2 weak starts, and recognizing signs of a battery about to die, I replaced the battery. The lamp problem has disappeared also with the new battery. I believe the old, weaker battery wasn't providing the proper filtering of the DC line, and spikes may have been confusing the regulator circuit which controls the lamp's brilliance.
  • zizithzizith Member Posts: 11
    So, Tommy, do you still have the manual for your 2001, because I sure would like to stop this auto lock business. :)
  • rwmjwrwmjw Member Posts: 2
    I'm experiencing similar problems with my 2000 Impala. Just starting the troubleshooting process. Did you every get your problem resolved?
  • tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    look on page 3-53 in your 2006 ower manual.Tell you how to change settings on locks.
  • pbaranellopbaranello Member Posts: 36
    A 6.5 liter was a 400 cubic inch displacement. 5.4 should be a 327 since a 350 cu. inch was not available as yet.
    The 2002 Imapala with a 3800 does suck when it starts, cold hot or otherwise.

When it is a cold start it sounds like the starter is ripping the fly wheel apart. When it is warm it may or may not start the first time.

Nature of the beast.............
    This 3800 engine had a recall on this but it was an outside leak where the coolent would pool on the top of the intake manifold. If you have oil and antifreeze mixing that is an internal problem, head gaskets or crack in the heads or worse yet the engine block.

Do you allow this car to sit and idle for a long time, do you check the level of the antifreeze and make sure it is good? When was the last time you flushed the antifreeze?

Don't listen to the bull crap that the antifreeze lasts 100,000 miles, that is a bunch of lies. At 30,000 you should have had it flushed and fresh stuff put in.

Oil in antifreeze or vice versa is not good. I have a 2002 with 64,000 on the 3800 engine and never seen this problem.

If this is a 3400 engine, I cannot say.
  • bussmanbussman Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1.5 amp short in my radio system. found this by pulling the fuse. Unhooked the radio receiver in the trunk, it dropped about .3 of an amp. I unhooked the audio amp, that dropped about .3 of an amp. Had chevy replace the radio and that didn't help. Pulled the radio out and unhooked the wires and it dropped 1.5 amps. any ideas on this problem
  • ff3332ff3332 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Impala. Typically after driving in stop and go traffic for a long time the check engine light comes on and the car bucks and stutters when accelerating.The engine will rev fine in neutral but when engaged to the transmission I get the bucking and stuttering. If I stop the car, shut it off for only a minute and restart, the car drives fine. The check engine light will go away after a day or so. I had it looked at by a dealer and two shops with no resolution. I suspect a sensor trips based on heat but an not sure where to look next.
  • t_tookalookt_tookalook Member Posts: 29
    I had MY '03 Impala in the garage to fix the intake manifold; then a part in the steering shaft and now it has a grease zerk. Then I had to replace a boot on the R-front.
    All under 32K They paid for all of it.

When starting up in a parking lot the Traction disengaged light came on. To get it to shut off, I shut off the engine and let it set for 5 minutes--- everything still ok now. ??

I think a KIA SUV looks better all the time-- back to Japanese or something similar for me.
    Rodger
This discussion has been closed.