Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Impala: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    kcmocarguykcmocarguy Member Posts: 1
    Our 2004 Impala has had all of the fixes Detroit was willing to share with the dealer. The intermediate shaft did NOT work, the strut insulators did NOT work, the adhesive fix did NOT work, replacing the entire subframe did NOT work. The noise is back as bad as ever. It is so loud that I think I could find it but I shouldn't have to. Other than sounding like it is going to come apart it is a nice car.
  • Options
    zizithzizith Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone tried disabling the auto door locks? It is so awkward to drop people off and always have to shift it to park. Never had it all my life, and don't want now. Please help. &)
  • Options
    quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    I know this isn't the exact answer you want but what I do is just push the unlock button. The locks remain unlocked until you start moving again; They re-lock ~5 mph.
  • Options
    tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    The auto door locks can be changed using the radio, check your owners manual.2006 page 3-53
  • Options
    nicecar4nicecar4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Impala. My problem keep recurring,check engine light, no reading on temperature gauge, a/c would blow but not cold, engine was actually running to cold, radiator fans would run for 5 minutes when I turned off ignition. Took it to one dealer that said I needed to change every sensor I have ever heard of for $1100. Took it to another dealer who said it was an electronic problem and they charged me about $450. It was fine for a month. That was a waste of money, I had the same problem again months later. I read someones message on here and decided to have the thermostat changed. I took it to a Tires Plus and told them that was all I wanted, I did not want them to diagnose anything. Well that was 4 months ago and no problems. If your car has these symptoms change the thermostat and dont let anyone tell you it is anything else. Either they dont know what they're doing or are just trying to boost their commission. It may not be a fix for everyone but it took care of my problem. Good Luck!
  • Options
    lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Hello everyone: Does anyone else have a sound similar to a dentist's drill during the first few minutes of the first start-up of the day? It will go away as soon as the engine gets warm. (No. I don't live next to a Dentist's office.)
  • Options
    mrwaynemrwayne Member Posts: 20
    Check your power steering fluid level.
  • Options
    chrisis30chrisis30 Member Posts: 20
    My 2002 3.8 sport package Pala does the same thing and has since the day I bought it ( had only 2 miles on it) i think it has to do with pollution pump or some thing. soon as it warms up it goes away! chris.
  • Options
    goober49goober49 Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 just turned 80,000 miles.

Once I reach 30mph it loses power and doesnt shift. the trans fluid is fine. I have to gradually reach highway speed and hope not to get rear ended in the process.

I also have a low exhaust sound, like it is bogging, no leak sounds, just a really low sound. No bad trans sounds like grinding or whining.

If I hit the gas slow when traveling at 30 at a certain RPM it will shift but of i press further it drops again.

I have heard a few reasons from a blocked exhaust to the solenoid in the trans to just a bad trans.

Im hoping it is just a blocked exhaust!

Anyone?
  • Options
    I mentioned the power steering fluid because my 2001 3.8 always did that too. The sound went away after 5 minutes or so. I hear the same sound coming from a lot of Grand Prix's and Monte Carlo's. Earlier this year, the sound got worse, then would never stop. The steering got slow, so I checked the fluid level, and the reservoir was empty. Since filling it to the proper mark, I hear no sound at all anymore, even when cold. Getting to the power steering fluid reservoir on the 3.8 requires moving the strut tower brace out of the way.
  • Options
    brianzukobrianzuko Member Posts: 4
    2002 Impala
    Where to start.... First my catylitick converter went and it's not cheap to replace. Then the Blower motor went... and now my check engine light is on and sty's solid until I hit 30 MPH. After that it starts to blink. Does anyone have any ideas?

DONT BUY A CHEVY... :lemon:
  • Options
    I also had to replace the stero in it.

DONT BUY A CHEVY :lemon:
  • Options
    I am having the exact same problem.I just hit 80,000 miles a few weeks ago. This is the second time that this has happend to me. I'm willing to bet that it's your catylitack converter.... Do a search on it. GMC will not recall the part and they should... THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE... FILE A COMPLAINT :lemon:
  • Options
    shaysimpalashaysimpala Member Posts: 5
    IT IS THE CONVERTER!!!

I have a 2001 and mine went out in the mountains of WV. I had it repaired after taking to several places and having it misdiagnosised. Several months after the repair GM sent me a later say the THIS IS NOT A RECALL, but if I am having this problem they will replace it at no charge. If I'd had the repairs done they'd reimburse me.

So start calling b/c they are very aware that this is an issue. There should be a recall on a lot of things on these cars. This is very serious the techs said the exhaust getting dangerously hot.

Good luck to you!!!
  • Options
    shaysimpalashaysimpala Member Posts: 5
    take it to auto zone they will read the codes that it is kicking out.

my 2001 had the same issues, I had to replace the thermostat and temperature gauge.

did u replace the converter yet? call gm they are aware that it is an issue. see if they will help u out.

i feel your pain, me and my impala have a love-hate relationship. :blush:
  • Options
    goober49goober49 Member Posts: 2
    It was the Cat. Did the easiest thing first, dropped the exhaust off the manifold and took it for a spin. SOUNDED MEAN!!! I wanted to leave it that way. Ill try to get some money from GM.

thanks.

I already had the trans axle problem and the wiper problem and the manifold gasket problem. they fixed them all.

Now that I am past the warrantee I do all my own repairs since i am an ex-mechanic and still have garage access.(back when being a mechanic was fun, no electronics!)
  • Options
    israel1718israel1718 Member Posts: 1
    Why every time it rains i have water gathering on the floorboard on the passenger side. i can see the water dropping in from the light bulb area on the plastic thing above the floor.

i have put tape on the window and no luck. every time it rains i see the water in the car.

i also have a 2nd incident where i have water coming in in the truck on the left side,

any ideas please advise
  • Options
    chrisis30chrisis30 Member Posts: 20
    I had a similar problem that left me with 3 inches of water on the passenger side floor,the exact phrase at my gm dealer was hvac intake seal,located near cabin filter plastic cover (the cover on the outside near wipers) apparently in my case the wiper tore the seal off after winter freeze, if it is this water will leak from the light bulb under the glove box it will look as if the bulb is leaking, the water comes through the fan assembly. there solotion was double sided tape to replace the old seal on the plastic shroud below the wipers
  • Options
    larconelarcone Member Posts: 9
    The Catalytic Converter on the 2002 Chevrolet Impala now has a warranty extended to 10 years or 120K. I just had my wife's replaced. The cone inside the converter is defective. It was $500 charged directly to GM. If you have already paid to do it yourself and have the receipts, GM has a reimbursement policy IF you qualify.

Once replaced, you defintiely notice the power.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the PLDATA module from bypasskit.com will work "without" installing a remote starter?
  • Options
    Does anyone have an actual "dome light" in their 2000-2005 Impala? All I see are what the owners manual calls "reading lights." Dome lights are mentioned separately, yet I don't have one, and it's not referred to as an option. I know the 9C1/9C3/9C6 packages have dome lights, but I have yet to see any on regular civilian versions. Anyone have one?
  • Options
    Just got my car back from service. While it was in for the Bose amp TSB, I had them fix a squeaky seat rail for the driver's seat. I don't know for a fact but it seems like I have an inch or so more head room now. I'll follow-up once I've had time to figure out if it's just one of the eight adjustments that's changed. Seriously, though, I seem to be sitting much lower in the car. For anyone who thinks that's a bad thing, I can still raise the seat high enough to put my head through the sunroof. Now, I am not forced to always have my head rubbing the ceiling. My dealership treated me extremely well. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come from GM. :)
  • Options
    bussmanbussman Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem . I found that a rubber piece under the plastic cover plate came off. It's were you get to the air vent filter. I put it back on and have a couple of rains and no more water. good luck
  • Options
    06fasst06fasst Member Posts: 48
    i to ohad the same issue including the issue with the leaking trucnk but those have been since resolved no more leaking trunk and no more leaking floor, the found the weld and the air thingy at the bottom right corner under the mat ot be somewhat of a culprit of the leaking trunk
  • Options
    perk5perk5 Member Posts: 2
    hello i have a 2001 impala and i have the same problems you say you changed the thermostat i changed mine twice same problem seems to do it on the highway 70. 80. miles an hour im about ready to give up what temp was your thermostat 180 any one can help please and thanks
  • Options
    jtactilejtactile Member Posts: 3
    So, originally, my 2001 Chevy Impala wouldn't start Friday, and I combed the Internet, including this site, to find some answers.

Most of my trouble involved problems exactly as listed by folks having trouble with the PassLock system (which I myself have encountered), except for with one glaring difference -- the security light was not on.

Eventually, while trying to mess with EVERYTHING to get the thing started, the security light DID come on, but I got it to turn off using some advice from this forum.

However, my car will still not start.

As I said before the problem is similar to the Security problem -- no 'click,' no turnover, but with full battery power, etc. However, the first time this happened, I called a wrecker, and he solved this by moving the shifter through the gears and giving it a hard thrust into park. This worked for a few times, but not this time. Additionally, odder things have gotten the car to start (once when it seemed that nothing would make it start, I accidentally nudged the power seat lever while turning the key and it fired right up). This time, nothing seems to work.

So, I feel it may have something to do with electronics in the car, maybe the security system, or something to do with sensors in the shifter.

If anyone can offer advice, please do. If not, just get a good chuckle out of this story. (Oh yeah, while trying to fix this, my shift release button decided to not work, making it impossible for me to remove my keys until I figured out that was the problem.)

!!!
  • Options
    revjim64revjim64 Member Posts: 78
    Have the dealer replace the passlock sensor in your ignition switch.

I have an 02 Impala, and that fixed the problem for me.
    (about $400 dollars!)

Chevy's are junk! GM Passlock prevents the owner from using his or her own car!

Time to by Japanese cars!
  • Options
    jtactilejtactile Member Posts: 3
    My friend, a mechanic, returned from vacation today, unplugged the fuse for the PCM under the hood, left it out for 5 minutes, replaced it, and the car fired right up. (???)
  • Options
    nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Japanese cars, check out the Toyota Camry forum, Seems to be a lot of tranny problems--2007 Camry Woes. And to some extent for the Rav4 and Highlander. Honda Accord not perfect either. Acura...Maybe the new Impala 2006 might be a big improvement over the older version?
  • Options
    perk5perk5 Member Posts: 2
    they put another thermostat switch in it everything seems to be working fine temp is actually normal this thing has ran cool for two years hope it did not hurt it
  • Options
    kryptonkrypton Member Posts: 2
    has anyone encountered a problem with impala ss engine leaking or like i was told by the service manager it's weeping not leaking, oil if so let me know something and then i will explain a little further. thanks let me add that this is a 2006 impala ss.
  • Options
    nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Is it possible that the weeping will lead to an oil leak?
    An oil weep on a new car should not be acceptable.
  • Options
    kryptonkrypton Member Posts: 2
    yes and that is why they replaced the engine with only 4135 miles Chevrolet techs have called it a porosity issue, which i can understand after working for them years ago but the dealer has caused so many problems they are killing me with the repairs that have been done since(power steering pump, idler pulley seperating, low coolant level, scratched up on inner fender tops etc.) any advice on what to do i've changed dealers for service and am back to my usual dealer and have gotten with G.M.and they know about the situation and only want to settle on a value guard package with me were as i say replace the car and of course they say not eligible so some help please if possible. thanks
  • Options
    dcngodcngo Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2000 Impala. The thermometer in my trip computer is not show the correct outdoor temperature. Outside temp. is high 80F, and the thermometer reads mid 60F. Other functions, such as compass, are ok. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks for your help.

-dn
  • Options
    9c1chevimpala9c1chevimpala Member Posts: 1
    With the heat rising every freaking day, I've noticed that the tire pressure in my car goes up and down...After doing this for about a week, the low tire pressure warning came up. I looked everywhere on how to reset the sensor without unhooking the battery. Here's how...

Turn your car to the "on" position

Turn on / off your park lights three (3) times

You should hear a ding sound and the sensor has been reset.
  • Options
    drat19drat19 Member Posts: 28
    I brought my '06 LTZ in to my dealer for service on the brake system recall campaign (reprogram brake system module for improved performance). Now I find that my wheels are out of alignment. I will be contacting my dealer on Monday (it's now Saturday) to follow this up, and I hope/expect they will make good. However, my question to the forum is: Should this repair have been simply a computer reprogram, or would they have had a need to pull my wheels, and if so, how/why would my previously-perfectly-aligned vehicle now be out of alignment? (steering wheel is off center while driving)

Thanks for any ideas...
  • Options
    I'm not familiar with the specifics of the recall, but perhaps they removed your wheels and didn't put them back on straight. (Didn't tighten the bolts evenly).
  • Options
    pcameronpcameron Member Posts: 7
    You must be joking, right? That's a classic, I'm going to print that one.
    ;)
  • Options
    Quote - pcameron: You must be joking, right? That's a classic, I'm going to print that one.

Classic that this happened on a simple recall, or classic that I posted a "stupid question"?
  • Options
    darmsteaddarmstead Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Impala. Looking to have a power sun roof installed. Has anyone had a after marker power sun roof installed and if so how did it workout.
  • Options
    I hope it's "classic" because you got your vehicle back with a new problem.

As for your problem, I had the same service performed on my vehicle and the only "problem" I had was that my radio presets were gone. That tells me there was service done on the "computer". I can't imagine anything that may have been done mechanically that would've affected wheel alignment. I would take a good look at it all over and underneath. My guess would be somebody hit a curb or pothole while road testing it. But, with the wheel off-center, who knows. That's pretty significant. I hope it turns out to be something more innocent. :confuse:
  • Options
    Update on my "classic" wheel alignment issue on my '06 LTZ:

Well, it turns out that the brake recall service (computer module reprogram) was NOT the cause of my wheel alignment issue. I confirmed that they did NOT pull the wheels for that service item. Conveniently, there's more to the story than what I originally posted (although I certainly didn't expect the following to be "the issue"):

One of the other service items I had performed while the car was in the shop was the resolution of an oil leak that developed. The resolution was that they had to order a part - a replacement of the main seal between the engine and the tranny. In order to access the location to replace the seal, they had to drop the tranny. The service manager confirmed that it was certainly likely that while in the process of doing this significant labor, my wheel alignment could have been affected. In fact, when I spoke to him this morning, he wasn't surprised at all...go figure. I'll be bringing the car back in as soon as I can and he's going to do a make-good for me, no problem.

To you "under the hood gurus" on this forum, I'm not as smart as y'all as regards under-the-hood geography, so while the above may seem "obvious" to some of you now that I've posted the resolution, it certainly was not to me. In fact, it was so "not obvious" to me that it's why this other service item didn't even occur to me when I made my original post, and furthermore, when I call the service manager this morning I didn't even mention it, either. I only mentioned the brake system item; HE reminded me that they also had the tranny dropped to make the oil seal repair, and that it was the more likely cause of the alignment problem.
  • Options
    Regardless of your particular knowledge level, cheap shots like that are uncalled for. But, some folks have to make themselves feel smart by belittling others on subject areas where they have an advantage. Hopefully, the comment was directed at the service you received rather than you personally.
  • Options
    Quote "quietpro": Regardless of your particular knowledge level, cheap shots like that are uncalled for. But, some folks have to make themselves feel smart by belittling others on subject areas where they have an advantage. Hopefully, the comment was directed at the service you received rather than you personally.

Yep, one would hope. This (Edmunds overall, not just this Chevy forum) is usually one of the most "civil" on-line forums in which I participate, so hopefully you're right.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Since the remark is unclear, the host will give the poster the benefit of the doubt and presume it was not intended to offend, since this topic has always been populated by courteous people. Please inform the host of any breeches in civility.
  • Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    There is no fix for this. I went through this issue back in 2001 with my new Impala. The temperature reading was accurate but the MPG were off up to 15% especially city driving. My friend had the same problem and so do many others. My friend and I collectively pushed the issue back then and we were compensated for this. We were told the DIC (driver information centre) only gives an estimate within 15% of actual MPG that was indicated. Sort of a useless device for what its worth, however the temperature readings are accurate.
  • Options
    Charts,
    While I would agree there is no fix for the faulty computing of mileage in the older cars (my '02 was very inaccurate, my '06 is very close), having a problem develop indicates a worn out part or possibly a maintenance issue (cleaning, adjusting, etc). If the temperature indicated used to be accurate but is now off, it can likely be fixed.
  • Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Shortly after my friend and I purchased new 2001 Impala LS cars we noticed that the DIC (driver information centre) was off by up to 15% (in favor of higher MPG then actual. We contacted the service managers at the two different chevy dealers where we purchased the cars. One service manager a personal friend of my buddy said that there were many complaints up to that point about their inaccuracy. We stated that it records MPG to a decimal point so it should be accurate. Its no use if it doesn't work. He couldn't help us. We contacted 1-800-GMdrive the advisor told us there was nothing they could do. We contacted the area GM rep and he met both of us at one of the Chevy dealerships a few days later. He indicated that the devices are not as accurate as they should be and there is no fix. We pushed the issue and asked to be compensated for the useless calculations it was registering. These devices should be accurate. He offered us each 6 free oil/filter changes at our dealerships. We declined. We asked for the cost of the devices to be credited. He said he couldn't do that. His next offer was 12 free oil/filter changes and the opportunity to buy GMs extended warranty (at GMs cost) at any time up until our base warranty expired. We accepted. It was a fair compromise. The GM rep told us that these devices at that time could be out as much as 15-20% especially if a lot of city driving is done in the calculations. The thermometer works accurately but I don't use any of the other modes for calculating. These devices were an option in all 2000-2005 Impalas.

It had nothing to do with worn parts or lack of maintenance (there is no maintenance on these units.

I have stated before on this forum if you have an issue with your product within warranty you have a right to have it fixed or repaired. If you are not satisfied with the result then ask to meet a GM rep and explain your circumstances. That usually gets the ball rolling. You paid for a product with a warranty that should be honored.

Its good to know that the 06 DIC is more accurate. Too bad for the thousands who paid $$$ for this device on their 00-05 Impalas that had the same problems that we had and were never compensated.
  • Options
    cmimpalacmimpala Member Posts: 2
    2000 Impala, 125,000 miles, 3.4 ltr engine

When I go to the pump, I pull the handle and the filling tube overflows within second if the temp is over 94 Degrees or below 72 Degrees. Any other time if I use a high volume pump it will not fill properly either. Lots of back wash.

I have checked the tube, not blocked, I checked all connections, tight and seals. No check engine light.

ANY SUGGESTIONS??
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    The only thing I can think of is to maybe change the angle at which you insert the nozzle...maybe try turning the nozzle upside-down or sideways...sometimes that can help.
This discussion has been closed.