Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    I noticed that a lot of new cars are relying on plastic intake manifolds. The V-8 in the Dodge Dakota is plastic as well as a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head.
  • dcngodcngo Member Posts: 14
    Recently, the instrument panel light in my 2000 Impala does not turn on immediately after I inserted the key and turned on the engine. I would drive the car anywhere from 1 - 5 minute in the dark, then the instrument light will suddenly come on. Has anyone experienced this problem? Do you know what was the problem? Could it be the weather? The temperature in my area in recent days is near 0 degreee F. I wonder if this is a built feature to save battery (being optimistic). My battery and charging system appear to be working fine. Or is this a sign that a sensor is going bad (being pessimistic)?

DN
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    This is probably a function of the automatic headlights; odds are it's an overcast day, and although it looks dark enough for your headlights to kick on, the sensor gets enough light to "think" there's enough daylight to not activate the lights.
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    Is located on top of the dashboard towards the center, near the base of the windshield.
  • txguytxguy Member Posts: 57
    If you have had the upper manifold replaced on your GM 3800, I urge you to file a complaint with the NHTSA via their website at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ or by phone at 888-DASH-2-DOT

Only by reporting the thousands of these repairs can we hope to get it fixed.

Just fyi, my 2001 Impala is in the shop for the manifold repair.. and guess what... there are none available in Houston... in fact they said they already had 15 on backorder!
  • etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    Just posted mine!
  • banjosgonebanjosgone Member Posts: 1
    Thanx for the heads up on the leak. My Check Engine Light came on a few time and I was told it was due to a loose gas cap. I had added coolant two times and had no visable leaks on the outside of the engine. Thanks to this board, I made it known to the service dept. that I suspect the manifold was leaking. He just looked at me with wide open eyes, and a few hours later, called to confirm it. 28,000 miles and it's leaking! I'm thinking about buying the extended warranty now, just in case. Thanx again. Also reported mine!
  • ckeseyckesey Member Posts: 3
    I have noticed at around 55MPH and above when hitting the brakes that my steering wheel will shake and that the car itself will "shimmy" somewhat. It seems like it might be getting worse but not sure just yet. I have read where some people were having problems with warping brake routers...is this a common problem? If so and the dealer replaces them do they replace them with the same ones that will do this again?
    I had my front rotors turned at @ 18k miles due to the same problem you're having. Some have successfully gotten their dealer to replace/turn them under warranty; I didn't have that luck. My dealer claimed it was a wear problem. However, I've got over 47k miles now, and still on the original pads - so in hindsight I'm not complaining much!!
  • ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    I had my rotors turned 2 times while under warranty. My dealer said that they would not replace them because (like nosirrahg said) it was a wear item, but he did not charge for the 2 times he turned them. I am not up to 43,000 miles and they have been good for the last 23,000 which suprised me. I think when it is time to replace I will try to find a 3rd party rotor that isn't so soft.
  • randigirlrandigirl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Impala LS that is giving me a bit of difficulty. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the Ignition module, Ignition coils, Ignition wire set, wire harness, crankshaft position sensor, and reprogramed and updated all of the computers. I payed nearly $1200 and took it home and now it is doing the exact same thing. What could it be? I don't know what to do.
  • 03_impala03_impala Member Posts: 6
    The reply by by drivinisfun [Jan 15, 2003 (10:26 am)] is spot on. Out TranSport had that same problem on its 3.4L. Other people I know have also experienced this, and the lowest repair was $700. Some people paid more, mainly because the leak problem caused other problems, like ruining the O2 sensor, causing the oil to lose its lubricating proerties, etc.

Get it fixed soon.
    I got it fixed a couple of weeks ago; ended up costing a little over $800, which included replacing the coolant and oil. So far so good, but I still have doubts about the car long-term. My wife is ready for a new car; I'm comtemplating selling the Impala and getting her a new Camry,and getting myself an older SUV just to drive to work. I still don't see where replacing a defective part with an exact duplicate of the same part is supposed to give me the peace of mind to pull out cross-country in the thing. What's to convince me the same thing won't happen again?

One question for everyone, though - Someone mentioned putting a lower temp thermostat on their Impala (like 180-degrees vs. the factory 190-degrees, or something like that); would there be any justification for doing so in an effort to keep the coolant temp down, and perhaps avoid warping the intake manifold (or would coolant temp have made any difference)?
  • kkc3kkc3 Member Posts: 6
    Just purchased my first used car. I wasn't looking for an Impala, but I sat in one on Saturday, drove it Monday, bought it Tuesday. It's a 2000 LS with 33,000 miles. I started reading Impala forum here, and there seems to be a common thread of trouble in the areas of ISS ( steering shaft?), something about a manifold leak -upper plenum? and a headlight switch that causes dash lights and other electrical stuff to fail. Can anyone enlighten me on these issues? Thanks.
  • kkc3kkc3 Member Posts: 6
    The more I read this board, the more nervous I get. What's the deal with this leaking manifold?
    When I purchased my 2000, I told the dealer I smelled that 'sweet' smell of anti-freeze after my test drive (which was great). He said it was probably the stuff the mechanic used to clean the engine for re-sale. What are the symptoms of a leaking manifold, other than the obvious spots on your garage floor? I want to address this before my warranty is up. Thank you again.
  • txguytxguy Member Posts: 57
    There may be no outside signs other than coolant level dropping and the hot antifreeze smell. Check your oil for contamination too.

Tell your dealer you are loosing coolant and request a pressure test of the cooling system. It's important to catch especially if there is an internal leak.

I love my LS and plan to keep it a long time. But I'm going to keep agitating till this problem gets the attention it deserves.
  • macgyver24macgyver24 Member Posts: 36
    My airbag light came on the other day, so as recommended in the owner's manual, I took it into the dealership right away. Turns out the problem lies in the control module for the side airbag on the side of the driver's seat. The replacement module is over $300 Canadian plus labour, and since the module is under the seat they have to take it off and that means mucho labour. They didn't have any of these in stock so they had to order one. Hopefully the airbag behaves itself in the meantime. Grrrrr...
  • bcumminsbcummins Member Posts: 16
    My check engine light comes on quite frequently. At first I thought it was just a case of drving thru a puddle or not screwing the gas cap on, but now it happens too frequently to be coincidental. After a few trips it goes off. Just when I start to relax, it comes back on...

I've seen several posts about EGR and I'm wondering if this could be my problem. Would you guys recommend I take it to the dealer? If it is the EGR, do I have to pay anything out of pocket? I've got about 65K miles on my 2000. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. I had to replace the tranny at 40K and have had lots of other small problems. I'd like to find out if this will be another disaster or just a small speed bump in my ownership experience.
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    I stopped using the crappy gas from the local no-name gas station up the block. The EGR valve stopped sticking within 2 weeks. No more Check Engine Light. As an experiment, I started using the cheap gas again, and within a month the EGR valve started to stick again. Try a different brand of gas for a few weeks, it could be the cheapest fix.
    My engine light was coming on regularly a couple of months ago. I took it to Auto Zone and let them hook their computer up to read the code (which they'll do for free), and it reported a "misfire on cylinder 4". Had them reset the light just in case it was a fluke, and within a few days it was back on. Took it to the dealer, where they cleaned the fuel injectors (and @ $200 out of my wallet), and the problem seems to be solved for now. That was at about 46k miles on my 2000 w/3.8l engine.

I'm trying to stick with better name fuel ( no more discount stuff), and will probably start regularly running fuel injector cleaner through (a friend suggested using it with each oil change). May not make a difference, but certainly won't hurt anything.
  • bradharmerbradharmer Member Posts: 15
    Hi,

I have a 2000LS which had the change oil light come on. I had the oil changed at a 30 minutes less place, but the message still keep coming on when I start the car. I tried the light switch trick, but that didn't work. Am I missing something here? Any help would be great.

Thanks!

BRAD
  • 2002ls2002ls Member Posts: 11
    Brad: Check your owners manual, you will need to reset the oil change monitor via your RDS stereo head unit. Steve :-)
    Unfortunately, most oil change places are too lazy to reset the Change Oil Light for you. But, you can reset it your self using some controls on the radio. I'm at work so I don't have the manual in front of me, but you should be able to get the steps from there. If not, I'm sure one of these guys can probably tell you six shortcuts for resetting it. I'll be checking back later and if you still haven't gotten instructions, I'll type em straight from the manual.
    If I give the fuel injector cleaner a shot to fix my potential EGR problem, do I need to follow it with an oil change or is that just a good way of keeping a schedule for that type of maintenance?
    No connection between the two; just a way to remind yourself to do it regularly. I don't know if the light will go off entirely on its own or not, though - you may need to go to Auto Zone and have them reset the light for you.
    I'm approaching 48k miles on my original brakes. No problems at the moment, but I figure I'm probably due at least pads in the near future. Toying with the idea of putting pads on myself (never done it before, but it shouldn't be too difficult), but also wondering about taking the opportunity to upgrade the brake system (since by the next time it needs brakes, I'll probably be pushing 100k miles, and it won't make sense to spend any extra money).

Any thoughts/sources for better pads (or rotors, calipers, etc.) to improve the brake system?
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    Maybe 5 months ago I had my brakes changed. With over 60k miles at that point, i was on my second set of pads but still hearing squeaks and sometimes a little shaking when braking hard from over 50mph.
    I had the rotors changed (not turned) as well as the pads changed, and it felt like a brand new car in terms of brake performance. Just your usual medium priced Bendix parts, nothing fancy or expensive. You may want to find out how expensive it can get to go with performance parts if you may not really need them. Do you do a lot of street driving or mostly highway? Are you hard on your brakes? I dont have any mods on my Base Impala, saving my money for the Impala SS, when it (hopefully) comes out. At that point, I would totally consider springing the $$$ for premium parts. Heck, maybe even premium gas!
  • ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    Got a call from the garage, they are charging me 152.00 for faulty sensor that is inside the radiator, which I guess I can live with.

What I do have a problem with is the 232.00 they are charging me for doing the ISS for the 2nd time. The first time was under warranty. This time he said they are putting on a new one with some new plastic piece to it (?).. anyway I told the service manager that it should be covered by GM since this is the second fix, he told me that GM calls this a "maintenance issue" and that I have to pay for it unless they issue some sort of recall.

Has anyone else had to pay for ISS after their warranty was up?
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    The rattling sound was not the ISS, it is the calipers!

Brakes - Rattling Noise

File In Section: 05 - Brakes
    Bulletin No.: 01-05-23-O11A
    Date: February, 2002
    TECHNICAL
    Subject:
    Rattle Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle
    (Install Front Brake Caliper Service Kit)
    Models:
    2000-01 Buick Century, Regal
    2000-01 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo, Venture
    2000-01 Oldsmobile Intrigue, Silhouette
    2000-01 Pontiac Grand Prix, Montana
    This bulletin is being revised to remove Chevrolet Lumina from the Models
    section and to update the condition information. Please discard Corporate
    Bulletin Number 01-05-23-11 (Section 05 - Brakes).

Built Prior to the VIN Breakpoints shown.
    Condition
    Some customers may comment about a rattle type noise coming from the front of
    the vehicle. This noise usually occurs at vehicle speeds under 48 km/h (30 mph)
    and while driving over bumps. The noise can usually be eliminated by a light
    application of the brake pedal.
    Cause
    This condition may be caused by too much clearance between the front brake
    caliper bracket and the caliper pins in the bottom of the bracket bores.
    Correction
    Install front brake caliper service kits to both sides of the vehicle using the
    following service procedure. Each kit contains 2 pins, 2 boots, and 2 packets of
    grease.
    Service Procedure
          1.Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the
          Vehicle in General Information.
          2.Remove both the front tire and wheel assemblies.
          3.Hand tighten 2 wheel nuts to retain the rotor to the hub.

4.Install a large C-clamp (2) over the top of the brake caliper and
          against the back of the outboard brake pad.
          5.Tighten the C-clamp until the caliper piston is pushed into the caliper
          bore enough to slide the caliper off the rotor.
          6.Remove the C-clamp from the caliper.

7.Remove the caliper pin bolts (3) and discard. New bolts are supplied
          with the service kit.
          8.Remove the caliper (1) from the caliper bracket (2) and support the
          caliper with heavy mechanic's wire, or equivalent.
          9.Using a flat bladed tool or punch, carefully tap the caliper pin boots
          from the brake caliper bracket and discard.
          10.Remove and discard the bushings from the brake caliper bracket bores.
          Carefully insert a small screwdriver into the brake caliper bracket bore,
          then rotate and pull the bushing outward to remove.
          11.Remove the brake pads from the brake caliper bracket.
          12.Thoroughly clean the brake caliper bracket bores of all lubricant.
          13.Install the brake pads to the brake caliper bracket.
          14.Lubricate the brake caliper bracket bores. Divide the large packet of
          grease, P/N 18046532; put one-half packet into each bore.

15.Lubricate the new caliper pin boots. Use the small packet of grease,
          P/N 18046645, only on the bottom internal threads (2).
          16.Install the new caliper pin boots into the caliper pin bores (3) on the
          bracket. Carefully tap boots into bores using a deep well socket or
          equivalent.
          17.Install the caliper over the rotor and onto the caliper bracket. Ensure
          that the caliper pin boots are not pinched.

Important :The leading caliper pin, or top pin, has a bushing as part of the
    assembly. The trailing caliper pin, or bottom pin, is a solid design.
          18.Install the new caliper pin bolts (1). It is important to note which
          caliper pin is designed for the correct bore. The leading caliper pin, or
          top pin, has a bushing as part of the assembly. The trailing caliper pin,
          or bottom pin, is a solid design. Ensure that the bolt boots fit securely
          in the groove of the pin bolts. Be sure not to pinch or tear the boots. If
          the boots are damaged, they must be replaced.
          Tighten
          Tighten the bolts to 95 N.m (70 lb ft).
          19.Remove the 2 wheel nuts retaining the rotor to the hub.
          20.Repeat the above steps for the other side.
          21.Install both the front tire and wheel assemblies. Tighten the wheel
          nuts using the J 39544 kit.
          22.Lower the vehicle.

Parts Information
    Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
    Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

b4z--I just had this work done on my 2000. No More rattling. (Ken)
  • elruby71elruby71 Member Posts: 1
    I was reading this forum and since I am @ work dont have the time to read all the posts...anyway, my problem is that this light comes on all the time. Is there something with the computer where maybe it is detecting a short or what. If anyone know or has a solution, please let me know...thanks in advance. BTW - I have a 2000 3.4l Impala.
    I have the same problem with my 2000 3.8l. I mentioned it to the service rep when I took mine in for the "check engine" light, but they said there were no codes stored for the air bag (the light wasn't on at the time). Naturally, any time I've got the time to take it in, the light doesn't come on. I've been assured the light doesn't mean the air bag will go off prematurely, but it probably does mean it won't work if I had an accident (not sure which would be worse).
  • larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    My wife's '02 LS has been emitting a mildew odor through the AC for the last few months (Yes, in Florida we have the AC on all year). I took it in to the dealership for it's first checkup last week and, in addition to the oil change and tire rotation, had a small laundry list of issues we've been saving up for it's visit, the odor being one of them.

All the issues were taken care of under warranty except the odor. The dealer said they have some cars that do this, they knew exactly what the fix would be, but said that Chevrolet REFUSED to pay for it as a warranty repair because "it's technically not a mechanical failure, but is considered an environmental issue". The mildew is formed in the evaporator, which needs to be taken out and "Flushed and cleaned". It apparently normally only happens in California and Florida and is caused by running the AC with the windows down ?!????!

The fix (probably only temporary) isn't particularly expensive - $120 - but it's the principle of the thing to me. This is obviously a known issue and a design defect - none of our other cars (GM or otherwise) have ever had this problem. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A TSB ADDRESSING THIS? The dealer said they didn't know of one but I'm not sure I believe them.

Thanks for any help.
  • otto42otto42 Member Posts: 33
    Never heard of the theory of running the AC with the windows down, but this is a problem that happens to lots of cars, it's not specific to any particular one.

The problem is that you get mildew growing in the evaporator and the ducts. If the ducts and evaporator are wet for 3weeks/month, fungus moves in. Period. Happens on any car. Happens on home AC too, except there it's usually called Legionnaires' disease.

There's a lot of ways to prevent it, but essentially the idea is to dry the ducts every once in a while.
    -Run it with the vent on but the compressor off from time to time. This will dry them out and prevent buildup.
    -Put it on recycle mode (internal air) and spray some lysol in the intake, then immediately shut off the vent after you spray a bit. The Lysol will stay in there overnight, and dry the mess out, along with killing the mildew and preventing it from being in there for a time.
    -Half a dozen other ways using other products besides Lysol.

The point being that it's not a design defect as such, it's just the reality of an HVAC system. Cars have been doing this since they put in the first AC unit.
    I agree with your dealer's comments. Mildew smells in the A/C is not a defect in the ventilation system but rather a fact of life with any A/C equipped car here in Florida. See, if you always run your A/C in "Recirc" mode or air circulation, due to our very high year round humidity levels, mildew will start to grow and develop inside the car's HVAC system and air circulation outlet passages inside the dashboard. In Recirc mode, the air always circulates throught the cabin and doesn't get replinished, meanwhile when you use the "Fresh" setting (Outdoor ventilation gates open), the air inside the cabin will always be renewed and therefore chances for mildew to develop will be greatly minimized.

I have never ever had this problem in my '01 Impala LS because I typically run the A/C in the "Recirc" setting for no more than 30 minutes and after the car has reached a comfortable temperature level inside then I switch to "Fresh" mode and therefore the cabin air is continously refreshed.

I hate to tell you this but your dealer ripped you off in your face by charging you $120 for a fix that probably will not last for more than a month. To combat A/C system mildew is a very easy procedure and one that you can do by yourself and for free...it only takes 15 minutes every month or couple of months depending on the time of the year. Here is what you need to do:

1) Start engine
    2) Allow engine to reach normal operating temperature if the car has been parked overnight or for several hours.
    3) Set the interior temperature controls to maximum heat. If you have an Impala LS with the dual zone temperature controls, slide both switches up to maximum heat.
    4) Make sure the system is in "Recirc" mode
    5) Set the fan to maximum speed (Position 5)
    6) If the A/C compressor is on, switch it to off by pressing the button with the snowflake or A/C label in it.
    7) Make sure the airflow is directed to the dashboard vents ONLY.
    8) Exit the vehicle and close the doors/windows.
    9) leave vehicle's engine and heater running for about 15 to 20 minutes depending on the severity of the mildew smell.
    10) The excessive amount of heat will kill and dry off any existing mildew in the inner ventilation passage ways.
    11) Repeat procedure as needed until odor is eliminated.
    12) When you run the A/C again, initially leave it running in "Recirc" for 10 minutes, then switch to "Fresh" mode. This will discharge any remaining burnt mildew out of the vehicle from the outer exterior vents.
    13) GOLDEN RULE: Initially leave running A/C in Recirc for no more than 30 minutes, then switch to "Fresh" airflow settings. Never leave the A/C running in Recirc all the time while driving.
    14) You will never have to deal with this problem again and get ripped off at the dealer.

Important note: Avoid the temptation of spreaying a can of Lysol on the exterior vents to kill the mildew. Often this makes the problem even worse after a while.

I had a couple of Acura vehicles with the same problem in the past and this little method was effective in eliminating the nasty mildew odor and saved me $$$$ in ineffective anti-mildew methods.

Good luck and if I were you, I would never comeback to that dealer.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that the lysol method is bad. It works to eliminate the mildew after it's already built up, but to prevent it from building up again you really have to change your habits. Avoid leaving it in recirc all the time, and use outdoor air the majority of the time. That alone is enough to stop it most of the time. The heat method mentioned will work to clear it out sometimes, but I've found it ineffective before (this happened to a couple of my friends cars, and this was in Missouri). The Lysol method worked to clean it out, as long as you're not relying on it for prevention, it's okay.
    Thanks for the replys. I guess we've been lucky in that it's never happened to us before.

I guess the good news is I didn't let the dealer do his service so I'm not out the $$$. I'll try your methods.

Drivinisfun: Will running the heater help the mildew in the evaporator?

otto42: If I understand your procedure, I spray Lysol in the intake w/ it running in RECIRC mode, let it get throughout the system then cut the car off, close the vents, and let it sit overnight - hopefully killing the mildew throughout the system.

Then I can do the heat only procedure to clear everything out. Oughta work!

Thanks again. I always thought the most efficient way to cool a car is w/ recirculation so that you weren't trying to constantly cool the superheated (here in florida) outside air. Oh well. I 'll give this a shot.

Larry
  • tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    check out Bullentin 99-01-39-004A on GM Tech link.
  • mark521mark521 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Impala LS (63k miles) and the instrument panel lights, radio, HVAC, etc. now go off when the autoheadlights come on. I have adjusted the dimmer knob, but nothing changes. Any ideas?

Thanks...Mark
    Sometimes that sort of thing can be the result of a bad headlight bulb. Might be worth getting out and looking at the headlights.
    Thanks for the bulletin. BUT, I can't find it in gmtechlink. I looked in www.gmtechlink.com and -other than the new, current bulletins - I can't locate where they are archived. Can you give me some hints how to look it up?

Thanks.
  • tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    GO to http://www.impalahq.com/ Check News&Tsb ,alot of good info on this sight.
    You're a life saver! That TSB is EXACTLY this problem and shows it's covered under warranty.

I called the service writer at the dealership w/ this info and he started to back-pedal immediately. It seems his Service Director had laid down a policy that they would not do that particular warranty service any more. Seems pretty sleazy to me after I specifically asked last week for the associated TSB and he claimed there was none and the chevrolet did not consider it a warranty repair.

Thanks for the links, there definitely is a lot of useful information!
    I'm contemplating replacing my brake pads this weekend, and will probably have to remove the discs and have them resurfaced. According to my book, I've got to have a Torx wrench to remove the caliper mounting bracket before I can take the disc off; does anyone happen to know what size Torx I need?
  • spence30spence30 Member Posts: 52
    I haven't read any of these for a while, but I find it funny that the Impala's are still having the same problems. I have 2000 LS with 88,000 miles on it. I have had the ignition relaced 3 times. What I found odd was that when I paid for it they replaced the lock cylinder and the switch to a tune of $498. The 2 subsequent times (while under warrenty 1yr/12,000) they only change the lock cylinder. Knock on wood, I have gone about 30,000 on this ignition.

I have had the intake manifold relaced as well. The dealer knew exactly what it was when I brought it in. $800....

No major problems since except a Yukon XL driving through me taking out the rear door, quarter panel, and tire... Oh well, it's just a car...
    I have never ever had a problem with the ignition in my Impalas. Very heavy keychains can ruin and damage the ignition mechanism. Remove unecessary keys and weight from your keychain. I am sure that's the root cause of your problems.
    I've been having intermittent problems with the light coming on for months in my 2000 impala. I've tried the fuel injector cleaner and bought only quality gas, but the light still comes on randomly every now and then.

I finally managed to swing by AutoZone while my Check Engine Light was on. The logged code was P1404 which apparently signals that the EGR Temperature Sensor is not working. Before I call in and bug my service rep at the dealership, I wanted to get the lowdown on the deal from folks who probably know...

Should I expect to pay for this repair? My car has 67K miles on it. Has anyone else been thru the same situation?

Thanks in advance!
    Brian
    I've seen some mention of a Federal Emissions Warranty. Does anyone know where I might find that information so I could show my dealer? (Assuming ya'll think my EGR Temp Sensor might be covered)

Thanks,
    Brian
  • colie74colie74 Member Posts: 42
    WOW is all I have to say about this issue. I didn't know I wasn't the only one. I obviously don't have time to read from the beginning, but wanted to give some fix it ideas to some problems we actually got fixed!!

The clunking in the brakes and steering column were fixed with simple lube in the shaft I guess. Also had a clicking noise when turning the wheel. They solved that by doing something that required adhesive and had to sit over night. At least it was fixed. I can't believe some people have had to have their shaft and cradle replaced. That's terrible.

I have had a power window switch go out as well. Also the engine stuttering at take off as well.

My latest deal which is on it's third repair is a leak in the trunk. Anyone dealing with this. One more unsucessful repair and it's a lemon!!!

Don't forget people, 4 attempts and it's a lemon.

Anyway, neat board, I will be reading up on all the problems. I am seriously considering trading it in on an import after the warrenty. I don't want this car sending me to the poor house with all the repairs I have had. They are lucky their service dept is open on Saturdays. They know me by name now!!!

Good luck to all of you!!
    Nicole
  • colie74colie74 Member Posts: 42
    Hi all, been reading things over. I have a question. My low coolant light came on a while back (200 LS, with approx 20K miles on it) and so I added a bit off dexcool to it. It light didn't necessarily go off and it was hit and miss to begin with. Then during an oil change, they added a touch more. I never really paid much attention to it as the light was hit and miss. Well the light is now out and hasn't come back on. Twice I saw a little leakage under the car, but it was hard to tell what it was. Almost a coolaid color, very watery once, but hasn't leaked constantly.

What is the symptom of the manifold problem that everyone is having. I am trading it in, but since I am under warrenty, I would love to get things taken car of for the next prospective buyer. What do I ask for. I don't think they like me very much over there at the service shop, I have a water leak in the trunk that has been in there 3 times. So I need to go in and demand what I want to get them to loo at it again. What do I say and do I have to have symptoms ALL the time to demand a check at their cost/warrenty?

Thanks.

Other than that, I got the clicking and the clunk fixed, both different problems and fixes.

I can't imagine anyone keeping this vehicle past its warrenty period. Why should we shell out money for repeat fixes on manufactures defects? Not fair. I have never had a vehicle have soo many problems. My 94 dodge shadow (10 grand) was never in the shop.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
    Biggest thing you'll notice is the smell of hot coolant; sort of a sweet smell, caused by the coolant leaking out of the manifold onto the outside (hopefully) of the hot engine. You'll also have coolant loss from the reservoir, but you probably won't see puddles (or even drops) under the vehicle.

I did have the "check engine" light come on, which read as a "misfire on cylinder 4". They attributed it to clogged fuel injectors, but within a couple of weeks, I was back in for the coolant problem. I personally think the misfire could have been due to coolant getting INTO cylinder 4, but they discount that at this point.

They should do a pressure test, which should make a leak easy to find.

Does anyone know if the Impala 3.8 is/will be included in the recall that affected some earlier GM vehicles for this manifold warping issue?
This discussion has been closed.