Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Basic Maintenance Questions

2»

Comments

• johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    It should be in the owners manual, but I believe it involves turning the key to the "on" position while simultaneously holding in the reset button located just below the gauges, the same one you use to reset the trip odometers.

I think you hold it for a few seconds until the dash lights go out. This is how it's done with Hondas and it should hold true with Acuras too.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Do this:

Make sure the headlights are off, otherwise it won't work. (Don't ask me why, I just know that this is the way it worked for me!)

Hold down the "trip reset" button while turning the ignition switch to "ON" (but don't start the car). Continue holding the button until you see the display change to +/- °F increments, then quickly let go before the +/- °F value changes.

This will keep the "Maintenance" light off for another 8,000 miles.
  • pj_columbiapj_columbia Member Posts: 12
    Thanks -Johnny. I'll give it a try and see if i can make it happen.
  • jehlingjehling Member Posts: 2
    Yes, Bought my TSX 6 speed two months ago, burned 1.5 quarts in 4000 miles. A shock, after having three accords that never burned oil. According to Acura, 1 quart every 1000 miles is acceptable depending on driving style and environment? I guess i just need to check it every 500 miles. According to what research i have done, thinner oil used, and all aluminum engine components. Besides that, love the car. Did have the dealer document the issue, and will keep my own score card to monitor the issue.
  • jehlingjehling Member Posts: 2
    Yes,k same problem, same statement by Acura. Besides that, I enjoy the car, just a little shocked after owning three Accords, that never burned any oil.

??????
  • drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    I burned nearly a quart of oil during the first 3-4,000 miles but none since. I'm at 10,000 miles now. It may have something to do with engine break-in.
    You should check engine oil level more frequently than every 500 miles anyway.
  • mrgold35mrgold35 Member Posts: 73
    I have a 06 TSX and the family took it on its first road trip a few weeks ago. I did all the fluid/air checks before we left and hit the interstate Hwy. I’ve noticed the hood bouncing up/down on the car at Hwy speeds. Not a huge bounce, but enough catch my eye. I actually pulled off on an exit because I thought I forgot to close the hood properly at home. I really don’t notice the bounce with city/commuter driving.

Have other 04-06 TSX owners experienced the same problem? Is it related to rubber hood stops and/or hood latch adjustment? Wondering if I should take it in sooner or just wait for the 1st service in about 3 months.

Thx.
  • bora1bora1 Member Posts: 42
    Hello, can someone please let me know the maintenance schedule of the TSX? After how many KMs/Miles can it go before an oil change has to be performed? Thx.
  • devore420devore420 Member Posts: 30
    The TSX tells you when it needs maintenance via the MID (display in center of gauge cluster.) For oil changes, if you cycle through the displays in the MID, one of them tells you oil % life remaining. When it gets low enough, go get an oil change.

If you wait until it drops to 10% the car will _really_ become insistent that you take it in for service.

I don't believe there is a maintenance schedule to be found in the manual since it tracks this itself. Still, I'd probably never go more than 4-5K miles at most between oil changes.
  • abhiutdabhiutd Member Posts: 44
    I went to a long drive on my 06 TSX last weekend and didn't see anything. I went as high as 90 and went on 80 for quite some time.
  • kozman2kozman2 Member Posts: 11
    Guys, you might want to do some research on bobistheoilguy.com. Search the forum there for my Blackstone Labs analysis of my oil that I drained out of my 06 TSX with 2902 miles. The lab said they would have changed it out. There is alot of crap in that oil early on. My suggestion is to change it out early (2-3K) and put some Havoline dino oil in 5w-30. Havoline has a fair amount of Moly in it compared to other oils. It appears the Honda factory fill is high in Moly as well. Just do the research on the oil forums. I think Honda says 5 or 10K on the service to also keep initial costs down tot he consumer. After having my oil analyzed, I was greatful that I changed it out. Also, on the consumption issue. The i-vtec engine the TSX has in it utilizes oil pressure to actuate the variable timing on this engine. If you routinly see higher rpms, your engine will burn oil due to this feature. THat's the way the i-vtec works. Just my two cents.
  • devore420devore420 Member Posts: 30
    So I keep reading here about what intervals to perform maintenance on the TSX and I'm confused because my '06, according to the manual, has no fixed maintenance intervals. The car tracks this for you and when different types of service is required it will tell you this on the MID in the dashboard.

Is this not the case for previous model year TSXes?

FWIW, I'm doing what the car and manual tells me to do. At about 4K miles, the MID told me, "Service due now - A" - A being the code for oil change.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Pre-06 TSX didn't have the 06 MID feature.

Nothing really changed, it's virtually the same engine with the same maintenance requirements - it just went from a table in the owners' manual format to a digital version in the MID based on sensor inputs. Like the BMW method, it's probably based on the volume of fuel burned (not time, nor milage).
  • rock_on_kurock_on_ku Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought 06 Acura TSX, and the dealer offered me a maintenance plan at about 40% off of their service price. So I basically bought the 45000 mile plan with oil change/tire rotation every 5000 miles, and the Acura recommended basic 15000 miles service. The only thing about the 15000 miles service is that it includes air filter change and lot of visual inspections and lubrication - the only major I saw was transmission oil change on the 30000 mile service.

Is this plan worth it or did I get ripped off - one thing is that I can cancel this anytime? I paid almost $800 for it so its like 6 oil change/tire rotation basic maintenance. Then 3 of the 15000 miles services. So at $40 per oil change service, the three 15000 miles service is costing me $560.

Pls let me know what kind of charges have you paid for these kind of services at your dealership. I would like to change the oil myself - is the oil filter pretty easy to change?

Thanks!
  • buyinginncbuyinginnc Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased my 06 TSX a couple of days ago and also purchased the same maintenance plan as you (except mine was $863 - grrr). Then I read these posts and am wondering about the oil change intervals since I haven't seen the manual yet (don't pick up the car until later today).

I think my 5k services worked out to be $35 which is a little high but not too bad since it is oil change, tire rotation and car wash.

Curious - did you try to return yours or if you kept it, have you found it worthwhile?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    It depends on your how mechanically inclined/motivated you are. If you know your way around your car (engine bay and underside) and you have a floor jack and some basic tools, then services like fluid changes are quick and easy.

Last weekend, I performed the 45,000 mile service and replaced the front brake pads on my Volvo V70. Total cost was about $80 and 2 hours of my time ($37 for brake pads, $36 for six quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic, and $6 for an oil filter).

I also changed the transmission oil on my BMW M3 just before Halloween. $18 for two quarts of Redline MTL synthetic transmission fluid and one hour in my driveway.

Visual inspection of fluid levels (brake, power steering, washer fluid, etc) and condition/security of belts and hoses are all that remain for these scheduled services. I perform them while the fluids are draining and/or before the test drive.

Doing your own service also gives you an opportunity to inspect the underside of your car for any problems (suspension components, exhaust system, CV boots, etc).

Call your local dealer service department or purchase a factory service manual to get fluid capacities and torque specifications.
    I concur with the above advice - working on your car gives you a better appreciation of its condition.

It all depends on your inclination and the subjective issue of what your time is worth. Is working on your car 3 hrs/ yr (+parts) for 3 - 4 years worth more than $800?
  • 111114111114 Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

Any suggestions on which brand and type of engine oil is best use for the Acura TSX?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    That's a tough question that really depends on you.

Do you change your own oil or have a shop do it for you? Are you anal about changing the oil every 3000 or can you go longer? Are you concerned about the price of an oil change?

My cars get full synthetic (Mobil 1) oil every 5000 miles. Synthetics are good for probably twice that interval, but I like to be safe and I like nice round numbers. I use 0W-40 weight all year round, but your climate may dictate different viscosities depending on time of year and temperature swings.

If you don't want to pay for synthetic, I also like Castrol GTX (it's about 1/2 the price of Mobil 1). Even with dino oil, todays engines can go 5000 miles between changes - so that's what I would do.

I always use a factory oil filter. Take the time to go to the parts counter and buy 2 or 3 (and buy a couple of new drain plug washers while you're there). If you do go to a quick lube place, then bring your own oil, filter, and washer and hover over the tech to make sure they do the job right. Make sure they change the washer and don't let them overtorque the drain plug when they reinstall it.

I change the oil and filter myself because I don't trust others to do it (unless I'm standing right there watching). I also like to do it myself because I use this time to thoroughly inspect the undercarriage/engine compartment for other routine issues (belts, fluid levels, suspension bushings, tires, brake pads, leaks, etc.). I visually examine my cars inside and out probably once a month, but during oil changes, I actually look, touch, pull, shake, wiggle, and poke pretty much everything.

Well, that's my advice, for what it's worth.
  • 111114111114 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for providing the information that I need. Your comment is very helpful.
  • del3del3 Member Posts: 6
    After 7 months owning my 06 TSX it's time to go in for an oil change (2950 miles). I've heard how dealers rip you off, can I go to some neighborhood car place or do you recommend taking it to the dealer for service? :confuse:

Thanks!
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    oil changes are not that more expensive at the dealer. If something needs to fixed under warranty, if it is a good dealer will let you know. My tsx is almost 4 months old, the oil life is at 15%. My friend, is a acura service manager, told me to get my oil changed when it gets to 10%. that should be at about 7,500 miles. I am almost there. Thanks to knowing someone, my oil changes are free. Even when I did not know anyone almost all the cars I bought had the 1st oil change free.
    If you have an independent shop you trust, there's no reason at all you can't have them change out your oil.
  • del3del3 Member Posts: 6
    For the longest time nobody posted here, now I have company. :)
  • lilitalialilitalia Member Posts: 1
    I have a friend who works at a Toyota dealership and offered to do my oil changes (and other small maintenance) for me. I have an '06 TSX and am at 40% oil life. Should I have my friend change the oil when it's time or just go to the Acura dealership where I bought my car? I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between Acuras and Toyotas and if it would really matter, but I am anal about these things so I just wanted to ask for some opinions.

Also, if my friend does it for me should I at least buy the filter from the Acura dealership? And does he need to do anything in terms of re-setting the oil monitor?
  • radhayradhay Member Posts: 17
    I called the dealership service department to check if I needed oil change and they told me to wait till the on board computer prompts me for oil change.
    i get my oil changed when the oil life is about 5%. I have owned my 06 tsx 10 months, bought new with almost 25,000 miles. love it.
  • lfloeck87lfloeck87 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, I have a mercedes benz c230 and am looking into buying an acura TSX, the mercedes is just WAY to expensive to maintain. I'm hoping, that since the TSX has a honda engine, all maintence will be easy and user friendly. I'm hoping that the TSX doesn't require any "special" maintence. Like the $457 tranny fluid flush mercedes charges for their vehicles which can only be done at a dealer. So basicaly my question is, can most maintence be done by the owner or by a regular maintence shop aka jiffy lube for larger jobs like tranny flushes and coolant flushes???

Thank you!
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    yes, that will be fine, I take my new accord to another dealer since the honda dealer is horrible. They change my oil, rotate my tire, and get this, when I thought I needed a tire rotation, they told me I didn't, because the tires didn't need it. Now that is service. They are very friendly, and treat me with respect.

So, yes, you'll be able to take your car to a basic place to get it done, even at that they required maintenence is not expensive like the BENZ. The accord and the tsx share the same engine.
  • satoautosatoauto Member Posts: 22
    I'd like to offer up some general Acura oil advice.

1) For those with the maintenance minder, follow it's recommendations. Changing the oil more than the computer suggests only costs you more money.

2) The K Series engines (TSX) can use some oil during the break in process. This is especially magnified when you have a manual transmission (you rev it higher). The oil should be checked at every fill up and topped off as needed. Oil consumption usually drops off as you pass 5000 miles.

3) New owners should keep the factory fill in the engine as long as the car suggests. There is a break-in additive in the original fill.

4) Lastly, most of our mechanics concur, use regular oil for the first 10,000 miles to fully allow the rings to seat. Afterwards, feel free to switch to synthetic if you like. This last suggestion is not a fact, but rather a generally accepted 'rule of thumb"
    excellent advice- I own a 06 6spd tsx, bought new 11/17/06, with almost 35,000 miles on it now. I did have to put oil in it during the first 2,000 miles but have not since then. I use regular oil-works for me. Love the car. I drive it very conservative-no over-reving.
  • nchengncheng Member Posts: 4
    Hello, I got my new acura 5 months ago, and the oil life just dropped to 30%. The mileage is 3800 miles..
    I am planning a trip to LA and San Diego in a couple weeks. Should I change the oil before or after the trip.. I am in SF bay area..
    When the oil life reaches 15% it will show service due soon and a code of what service is to be done. Since your car is new it will show a-1 (oil change) At 5% it will show service due now and when it goes below 0% it will begin showing miles past due. With the driving I do (mostly highway) I average at least 600 miles per 10% oil life. I do not know how many miles you will have before you go on this trip but I would wait until it gets to at least 15% to 5% oil life. I travel alot-especially from NC to NJ and back. (635 miles one way) When I left NC last Tuesday for NJ the oil life was at 30%. It is now at 20% ready to go to 15% in about 50 more miles. I plan to wait until I get back to NC to get the oil changed (oil life should be at 5%). I do check the oil level and tire pressure on a regular basis. My 06, bought new 11/17/06, has 55,000+ problem free miles. Many miles of safe driving to you
  • treezillatreezilla Member Posts: 1
    heres my problem, i changed my oil and oil filter on my own and i dont know how to reset the service due meter. it keeps showing up, i already checked my manual book and cant find a way to reset it.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Well, it's in the book, on page 283. If you've customized the display any (per pages 69-118), the directions will be easier to follow because you should be used to how they use the two buttons (info & sel/reset) to do stuff.

If not, you can still get it done, but it may take a few tries -- you're not going to hurt anything, so don't worry if it doesn't go well the first time.

Good luck.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • tsx6mtoileatertsx6mtoileater Member Posts: 3
    For starter the TSX 6MT uses the K24 engine that is also used in the Civic SI and there are many posts by both TSX and CIVIC SI owners having high oil consumption.
    Many say that the dealer replaced the block to fix the problem, rings alone are not enough. The oil consumption problem seems to only happen on a small percentage of engines and mostly 6MT which rev higher than the 5AT but, there may be more to it.
    Both Honda and Acura say that is okay to use a quart of oil every 1000 miles with these high performance engines. Of course that is simply a CYA statement. I have owned many cars and none ever used oil at a rate of more than a quart to 7000 miles.
    For the first 10k miles my TSX used 5 quarts of oil and then used about 6 during the second 10K miles and then went about 1200 miles before needing another quart.
    At this point the Acura rep for my dealer says that there is no problem because I am not yet burning oil at 1 quart per 1000 miles.
    I am truly in disbelief that Honda/Acura are not taking a more responsible approach to dealing with this obvious defect.
    Anybody have additional info on this subject?
    Own a 06 6MT TSX, bought new 11/17/06. No oil consumption or loss in almost 143k miles.
  • tsx6mtoileatertsx6mtoileater Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, that is proof that Honda can make a TSX that does not use oil. I know this from my own experience owning an 86 Accord 5MT, 92 Accord 5MT, 03 Accord V6 and leasing 4 Odyssey Minivans.
    The question is why Honda is refusing to take action unless the engine uses more than a quart of oil per 1000 miles. No oil use versus 10 quarts per oil change interval is quite a spread.
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    Not sure if this is the right thread to ask about the spare tire in the 2012 TSX Wagon. I was looking at one today and the salesman said there was only a repair kit, not even a donut in order to save space. Can anyone explain how that would compare to a donut tire?
  • nefariousnigelnefariousnigel Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2012
    I own a 2011 TSX 6MT as well. I drive in downtown Chicago almost exclusively although a good part of my driving is on Lake Shore Drive which is a sort of a min-highway with some stoplights (of course it is parking lot in rush hour traffic). So I'd say 60% is stop and go (literally) and the rest zipping in and out of 40-60 mph traffic revving the K24 liberally.

I don't ever redline the vehicle but I do not baby it on my daily commute either. I've got nearly 20,000 miles so far with only 3 oil changes (one recently) and no oil burning. I check regularly and the thing literally does not burn any additional oil. When I picked the vehicle up at the dealership, I actually 'splurged' for an $8 quart of Honda's 0-20W synthetic that they recommend. It is still sitting unopened in my vehicle. I am at the point where I'm going to stop checking as the engine should be broken in.

I'm sorry to hear about your issues...hope you find some deserved resolution. You obviously have had bulletproof Hondas in the past so I can imagine your surprise.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Can anyone explain how that would compare to a donut tire?

The donut spare and the repair kit (can of fix a flat I presume) are both temporary fixes designed to get you to a tire shop so the flat can be properly fixed. The repair kit is cheaper and lighter.
    ...and takes up a lot less space.