Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX - Interior

Comments

• saruhhhsaruhhh Member Posts: 47
    Has anyone figured out what the four loops are for in the trunk??? I would assume the cargo net, but, nope, they charged me $130 for that (with install). What a rip!! That stupid thing is about 6 inches tall and doesn't even hold groceries. Save your money!!!

So, does anyone know what those loops are for??
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Click the handa link at the top and follow the Acura, TSX and then check out the cargo net - does yours look like that?

Also check out the installation instructions:

http://www.handaaccessories.com/tsx/08L96.pdf

$130 sounds high but it's a lot of work to put that thing in.
  • singhsingh Member Posts: 1
    When I brake hard, the drive seat moves forward a little as if the mechanism holding the seat has a slight slop to it. If I move the seat all the way back to the end of the travel, then the seat does not shift upon braking. I have taken the car to my dealer 3 times and each time he says that the seat mechanism is just fine. The passenger seat does not have this problem.
  • uncledaviduncledavid Member Posts: 548
    This is a known problem with the TSX, and Acura should really issue a TSB to dealers.

I had the same seat sliding problem, as do many other TSX drivers. My dealer was able to correct the problem fully by replacing the seat tracks.

Your dealer is wrong. There is a problem, Acura is aware of the issue, and there is a relatively easy fix. The seat tracks need to be replaced.
    Yeah. That's my tiny trunk net. Waste of money. Buy some nice $10 Rubbermaid bin and use that to keep groceries stable instead. Save yourself $120.

I realize it's a lot of work to install. But WHY does the car have all those loops in the trunk? They seem like perfect anchors for a better designed cargo net, to me.

The dealer threw in the well sized cargo net with my 03 Nissan Altima. AND the loops/anchors were part of the car. No need for drilling and extra fees.
  • thepdmmthepdmm Member Posts: 82
    The button plate that holds the VSA on/off button and the sunroof button (plus two empty slots) is a bit loose on my car.. I am talking it moves a bit if I tap one of the empty slots not so loose that it makes noise or is about to fall off.. as I have had problems with my dealer breaking other parts and putting them back on my car I was curious if this is normal? Again not a bit deal but going in for an oil change and if nobody has this problem I might say something about it..??

thanks
  • rross553rross553 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2005 TSX. I bought it for good gas mileage and saving on gas money. Dealer tells me that it must, MUST, run on premium gas. Is this true? :confuse:
    Minimum 91 octane is what is recommended. It will run on regular 87 or mid-grade 89 but the computer will reduce the performance. You will probably also discover that you get less miles per gallon running a lesser grade of fuel - it may cost you more to buy the less expensive grade.

Good Luck.
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    You should have asked those questions before you bought the car, not after. Regardless, the owner's manual states usage of fuel lower than 91 octane may damage your engine.

If it's any consolation, do a quick computation of your annual fuel cost using regular unleaded versus premium unleaded. In my case it amounts to a whole $111 more per year and I drive 20000 miles per year. Here in Texas 93 octane is only 15 cents more per gallon than 87 octane.
    Here in Texas 93 octane is only 15 cents more per gallon than 87 octane.

Here in Boston it was always $0.20 more for premium. Now some stations are over a $0.30 differential. I wonder why?? :confuse:
  • carguy000carguy000 Member Posts: 55
    I'm concerned by something that manavi pointed out. I didn't realize that using less than premium might damage one's engine. I was under the impression that it would just reduce performance, and possibly gas mileage.
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    It's on page 152 of the TSX owner's manual.
  • lb55lb55 Member Posts: 4
    I'm a prospective buyer, love everything about the car, but got spooked by the November, 2004 Consumer Report's comment that "some drivers needed more lower-back support". Since I have lower-back problems and a test-drive doesn't allow for a decent evaluation, is there an owner out there with a weak back that can supply some commentary on this issue?

Thanks.
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    The TSX's seats are both the most supportive and the best seats overall of any car I've owned. Not quite sure what CR is referring to, but the seats are very good. They are firm, but they're very well-shaped and supportive.

Johnny
  • celineceline Member Posts: 3
    I was not aware of the CR caveat on lower back dis-comfort. Nice to know I am not the only one. Spent a lot of time fiddling with the power seat adjustment before sticking a small pillow back there. LB pain ensued within ten minutes of every ride. Did not find the answer in the car's lumbar support tab. Dis-concerting because I love everything else about this car--but the prospect of back pain (which I'd never experienced before) every drive was a bummer. Recently have removed the pillow and re-fiddled with the seat settings with some improvement. It's an ongoing project. Other car is a 94 Camry and those ole fabrics are comfortable as hell by comparison.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    The reason for lower back support issue is that you cannot raise the bottom portion of the seat vertically with respect to the back portion of the seat. The entire seat moves up or down. although they have lumbar support, if you are an average build, the lumbar support will be in the middle or higher of your back instead of near the bottom of your back. I have lower back pain too, and that is the first issue I noticed sitting in this car. But it is for my wife, and her back is just fine.
  • marc10marc10 Member Posts: 7
    I want to buy oem fog lights for my tsx, so I can saver on the dealer costs. How much do they cost to install at a dealership and privately, and how do they put the fog light switch into the car? Will in the on side of the wheel or below near the stability control?
  • flicmodflicmod Member Posts: 21
    I bought fog lights for my TSX. I was going to have my dad install them since he's a mechanic, but he never installed any fog lights on a TSX or any Acura before, so I had the dealer install them. I think the price total was pretty close to $500 if not slightly over. I think the lights themselves cost around $420 or so. The switch for it is mounted on the left stem on the steering wheel column for the other lights. It's basically a circular piece around that stem that you twist to turn on and off.

Good point about the oil pipe lines. Most people probably never realize that all oil companies provide the same oil and gas, let alone how many pipelines it would take to accomodate each oil company.
  • meg9713meg9713 Member Posts: 21
    Is the Parchment hard to keep clean?
  • indybobindybob Member Posts: 10
    Have Black with Parchment TSX non Navi Auto purchased in January. Interior not hard to keep clean. On seats buy some Meguiers leather wipes that really work great. Have had some spots on carpet, but regular carpet cleaner works. Agreed that Parchment interior looks better than any of the black or grey interiors, but only think it looks good on black or white, not crazy about the red available.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    I prefer a low-gloss finish too, thanks for the info. :)
  • tcwattcwat Member Posts: 10
    Got the cargo nets on my TSX and am a bit unsure of how useful they are. It's nice put put a small bag of groceries in the net itself but I am use to using the net to keep stuff from sliding forward. If I put, say, a box between the net and the bumper, the box can slide under the net. Anyway to make the net more secure at the bottom?
    I too got the useless cargo net. An expensive piece of junk. I just have a locking lid Rubbermaid tub that I let float around the trunk. I don't know of a way to make the net more secure at the bottom.
  • rko2rko2 Member Posts: 40
    I have a tub in my trunk too, and I pin it to the side with a bungee cord. You can clip it to the middle side clip and the rear side clip, and it will keep the tub in one spot. It works pretty well and can secure other things as well.
  • dianka555dianka555 Member Posts: 14
    Hello,
    I'm new to the forum, and not sure if I'm posting in the right place, but I had a question for the TSX owners...
    I'm considering the car, and like almost everything about it. But, was wondering about the seats. It doesn't have bucket seats but sports seats. I don't think it's a problem in short distances, but I was wondering if in long distances the sports seats are still comfortable? Currently I drive a car w/ bucket seats.

Thanks in advance!
  • indybobindybob Member Posts: 10
    Dianka555,

Purchased an '05 TSX auto for my wife over a year ago and IMO the seats are a little firm, but comfortable. Longest trip was Indy to Knoxville, TN and found little difference between TSX seats and those on my '02 Bonneville SLE. I think it's just terminology of sports seats vs bucket seats.
  • dianka555dianka555 Member Posts: 14
    Thank you very much... :)
  • derekgderekg Member Posts: 1
    there are no directions, and it doesn't make sense. Can anyone help? I carry sporting equipment in my trunk, so the net is a necessity. Thanks!
    I can't link it directly, but go to hondaacuraworld dot com. They have downloadable PDF instructions for all add on TSX pieces. Once you get to the Honda/Acura parts page, click on "Instructions" at the top of the page and you'll find it there under TSX.
  • gjustusgjustus Member Posts: 22
    I got my 2006 TSX at the beginning of February. It only has 3400 miles. I am very particular about my material possessions; therefore, I have been very careful with my car. I noticed some scrapes on the driver's side seat. It is on the part of the seat that I call the wing. I'm not sure if that is what it is called. It is on the wing closest to the door. My best guess is that a button on one of my pants must have caused the scrapes. Also, there are a couple of worn places on the seat where my back and posterior touch the seat. Again, these could have been caused by a button on my pants. Regardless, I don't feel with so few miles the seat should be so delicate that it should have scrapes on it or it should look worn. Does any think I have any hope of having this issue remedied by Acura?

Thanks

Glen
    Those "wings" are called bolsters, and since what you described is normal wear, I doubt there's much Acura will do about it. Leather wears in such a way that's it's not always going to look brand new. That's just the nature of the beast.

Really, it's a niggling issue. Perhaps you can just chalk it up to normal wear and tear and get on with enjoying your car.
  • sjonesronessjonesrones Member Posts: 2
    On the driver's seat of my '04 TSX, I have been noticing that the "high traffic" leather surfaces are wearing and discoloring. Specifically, the left side bolsters and left-most edges of the seat are turning a light blue color (esp. noticeable with the parchment leather). These are the surfaces that are rubbed each time I enter and exit the vehicle.

I'm willing to accept a measure of wear, however I think this might be a quality of materials issue. Here's why (bear with me): there is a seam on the left edge of the lower seat that joins two pieces of leather together. One piece of leather is wearing/discoloring, the other is fine. Both see the same level of wear as I enter and exit the car. Same deal on the left bolster. My hypothesis (and I'm by no means an interior materials expert): one piece of leather is meant for high traffic. The other isn't rated for high traffic (rather for looks). Acura didn't anticipate the need for a more wear proof material on the side of the seat.

Is anyone experiencing a similar wear pattern?

P.S. -- the car has been outstanding otherwise. I'd get another one even if Acura goofed on this minor point.

Thanks
  • dottie2dottie2 Member Posts: 2
    We have and 05 TSX and have just noticed the blue discoloration. The dealer said it was wear, but that can't be right. The bluish color is on both sides, and there is hardly every anyone in the passenger seat. Besides, the car is only a year and a half old! It's an Acura. I expect more than that. Have you contacted the dealer?
    I'll be interested in a response.
  • sjonesronessjonesrones Member Posts: 2
    I ran it by one of the Service Advisors when I took it in for an oil change/rotation. He said that it might be due to a leather jacket (which I have) rubbing on the edges of the seat. I did some research, and found that clothing leather is pretty colorfast. Ditto for jeans -- which I've heard that some dealers cite as a cause of the discoloration.

I've seen some pretty old cars (ex. 1980 M-B 200D) with light leather interiors and none of them show this kind of blue discoloration.

Check you vehicle to see if my theory bears out (i.e. seating surface leather is more resistant to bluing than the leather that covers the outside edge of the seat and bolster).

Let me know what you find. If it's a similar situation, we may be able to elevate this to Honda/Acura for resolution.
  • cloveclove Member Posts: 10
    Can those of you that have the gray or the Black Leather tell me how they are wearing??
    We live in Colorado and I park in a garage and under shade at work (of course grocery shopping is another thing) -- will be getting the tint on the windows.
    I have a 14 month old baby as well to add in to the factor.
    We have had two cars with tan leather and I know about the wear and the black marks that never come out in the creases.
  • mrgold35mrgold35 Member Posts: 73
    I have the 06 TSX with quartz and so far it has been very easy to keep clean. The only problem I have is my 8 year old son jacking up the back seat. I purchased the all weather mats mainly because of him and he is “banned for life” for eating, drinking, coloring, chewing gum, and touching the windows with his hands. My 97 Accord is too far gone in the back seat because of him just being a kid.

If you condition the seats a couple of times a month that will go a long way toward delaying wear marks and staining. You have to start conditioning before you get wear/tear on the seats.
  • dmacciocdmaccioc Member Posts: 13
    I know this is probably random, but I was conditioning the leather on my now 3-week old CG TSX with Ebony interior, and I noticed that light reflects off of just about all of the holes in the perforated portion of the seat. Has anyone else noted this? Is this "sparkle" effect intentional or just a by-product of the perforation? I'm sure it's the latter, but this vehicle is so chock-full-o-feature-content that I wouldn't put it past Acura to think about such a minute detail! =)

I also decided today that I hate the hooks for the driver's floormat, such a pain to dislodge it when cleaning. But, other than that, everything is gravy.
  • ellen4ellen4 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2004 TSX with a light tan interior. I noticed that my drivers side seat has a bluish discoloration too. I drive with a grey seat wedge that covers the seat. I thought that the discoloration might be due to that. However after reading your post, I'm having second thoughts.
  • acuratsx06acuratsx06 Member Posts: 2
    Also have a '06 CG TSX since April and noticed the same sparkle, especially on front pass seat -- has reduced over time. Ditto on mat hooks.
  • robby5robby5 Member Posts: 4
    Have a 2006 tsx..bought a caego net...returned it because it was too complicated to install. A friend had an A4, he gave me the cargo net off the Audi...it fits really good and does the trick. The attachments are already in the tsx.
  • marksnarkmarksnark Member Posts: 2
    I looked at my TSX Ebony interior after your comments. The perforated leather in mine is not dyed all the way through (drum dyed), it is surface dyed and finished only. If yours is the same I think you are seeing the tan edges of the perforations. My experience in selling automotive leather it is usually drum dyed especially if it is going to be perforated.

For maintenance I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. I use it on the seats, dash, door panels, weatherstrip, under the hood-fuse box covers etc. Wipe dry and it leaves things looking nice, not slippery or shiny.
  • mrgold35mrgold35 Member Posts: 73
    You can also use the cargo net from a 350Z coupe. It fits perfectly with the four hooks already in the back of the trunk. I purchased the TSX cargo net and the dealership installed for free. The TSX cargo net wasn't very useful just hanging in the middle of the trunk. I read other forums and ordered the 350Z cargo net for $32+shipping from the internet. Not one regret with the 350Z net. Now I have both nets installed in my TSX (w/ pics).
  • kcelliskcellis Member Posts: 18
    We have a '08 TSX that is experiencing VERY similar wearing of the leather seats.
    ( started just months after we bought it! )

I was wondering if you ever took your situation up with the dealer or anything?

Thanks,
    -- Keith
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I would have let the dealer know about the problem as soon as I noticed it. My ebony seats (except for the wrinkles) look good on my 06 tsx, with 91,000+miles
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I would inform the dealer too!

I use Lexol on my seats and it works great! Creates a nice plush, soft feel without all the shine and slick. It keeps it all looking great.

Now, I have thought about the tan interior. I would be very hesitant, because of it turning blue with blues jeans and getting dirty. I might stick with black.
  • kcelliskcellis Member Posts: 18
    We did let the dealer know as soon as the problem with the leather appeared --- 4 months after we bought it new.

They have been giving us the run-around after several meeting & "inspections" of the seats. Their first take was that the damage was from something we were wearing on our clothes/jackets/etc. !!

Any suggestions?
  • trendy10trendy10 Member Posts: 5
    I agree that the tan interior is risky with blue jeans and the darker microfibre jackets but I usually just buy into more frequent cleaning. I uase Lexol.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    See, that is a load of poo! Its like they are not putting their money where their mouths are!! They sell a upper end car, but then turn around and excuse the fact that the seats are wearing out at a fast rate! That is not normal wear! Seats should be made to withstand the everyday in's and out's of the driver. Especially a car of this caliber should not be having this issue. That is bull!!

I would start a file immediately with Acura, giving them all the details such as mileage and occurrence. Compare to similarly equipped cars that are close in mileage.

Some dealers are not as eager to help as others are. Keep pushing to find a solution. Its all fine and dandy when they get the sale, but when your having an issue, they don't like to take the initiative. What's the problem, Acura pays the dealership for the work, and what is this thing called warranty? You would think the warranty would cover some what of this to an extent.

Do not give up on it, if you need to, go to another dealer. Inform Acura!
  • dtp55dtp55 Member Posts: 2
    My daughter has a 2004 Acura TSX and recently has had a problem with the A/C going out. Also when this happens the thermometer on the dash goes out. Sometimes I can turn the engine off and restart it and the A/C comes back on but this doesn't work everytime. It's a very random problem and really no way of knowing when it's going to go off or come back on.
    Has anyone else had this type of problem? I have taken it to the Acura dealership and they have a part ordered but it's on backorder. They tell me that this may or may not fix the problem because this recall part is actually supposed to address another problem with the dash lights going out.
    I would appreciate any info anyone might have on this.
This discussion has been closed.