Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Lighting/Electrical Problems

Comments

• squarejohn99squarejohn99 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 impala and it started out like this. The rear defroster stopped working and when i turn on the ac the domes lights came on. Then only the back dome lights would come on now only the floorboard lights come on. If you turn it to the defroster then the lights go out... Any help please?
  • sarahgarciasarahgarcia Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 and suspect the headlamp switch is bad. List of problems which lead me to this conclusion are:
    Headlights wont dim
    Windshield wipers dont turn on (the way they should) meaning when I turn them on they dont work but when I hit the Washer button they turn on and stay on-one speed HIGH
    Blinkers sometimes dont turn on and I have to click the hazzard lights to make them function. Once I do this and turn them off the blinker will work again.

Also my Traction button will not work. It remains off and pushing it does nothing.
    The ABS light stays on too.

Well with all these problems I have learned to drive my car and rig these necessary functions to work (not correctly but still work) I am a single mother, with no money to spend on a 300 dollar switch (that is how much the headlamp switch costs, not including labor)

Anyway the other day I am driving and I go to make a sharp left hand turn. All of the sudden the traction light that usually says off is now saying on and the ABS light has disappeared. However the car also made a terrible grinding noise and the break peddle jumped and was stiff. Well hit the traction button, it turns the traction off, ABS light comes back on, problem solved! NOPE. Now my car does this every time I make a left hand turn! I dont know what is going on but I suspect it is serious. Can someone PLEASE help me!?
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    Re: your blinker it could be the hazard/blinker switch has gone bad. The hazard switch is GM part #10359031. Costs about $45.

Here's instructions on how to fix it without removing the dashboard:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/93599926N00/sets/72157602620999931/

That other problems I don't know - sounds like a serious problem. Sounds kind of dangerous and you should really have someone look at it. Paying the dealer $500 for a new BCM is a lot cheaper than a trip to the hospital!
  • revjim64revjim64 Member Posts: 78
    I had the same problems with my 02 impala.

You really should replace the combination high/low beam switch.

You can probably find an aftermarket switch on e-bay for about $149.00 and see if you can find a local garage to install it for a cheaper cost than a dealer.

I changed out my switch by myself. You have to remove the steering wheel and it is difficult fishing the wires under the columnn assembly under the dash.
    It took me about 2hours to install.

If you don't replace it you will be driving at night and you will switch from high to low beams and the headlight might go out! This is extremely dangerous if you are driving at night on a busy highway!

I also replaced my hazard switch too.

I'm not sure what your grinding noises are. You may want to see if a local garage can chek it out.

Good luck! :shades:
    Good luck!
  • sparetire1sparetire1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for posting the pictures. I'm going to try it on my 2001 when the part comes in.
  • kibbles96kibbles96 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new to this, hoping it will be a good source to find help with daughter's new/used car. When we got it, we knew radio caused battery to go dead so fuse was pulled. Since then, running lights wouldn't shut off. Once she got them shut off, no lights at all would come back on. Car sometimes has trouble starting and you have to turn key back & forth in a certain pattern before it will start. Now car wouldn't start & killed battery trying. Anyone out there have any similar problems they found answers to?
    Thanks for any help.
    The problem with the key is probably a bad "passlock" sensor.
    Sometimes there is a delay on the running lights from shutting off.
    I think you need the radio hooked up to program the timing on the light shut off. You also need the radio hooked up for other settings.

The 2000-2004 Impalas are notorious for electrical problems. Usually BCM's and the Passlock sensors are the main culprits!! :lemon:
  • denharrio87denharrio87 Member Posts: 1
    Hello ppl....iam kinda of new to this.I need help I have 05 impala.my temp guage stop working months ago,my check engine light is on,when i step on the gas it takes a while to catch when it past 30mph,as well now tha car shuts off an to start it back up I have to turn the key and step on the gas now.I ran OBD an it told me my oxygen sensor is bad...I dont think a 02 sensor caN TURN YOUR CAR COMPLETLY off..So I look up an see if it was any recalls an it said fuel system pressure relief. I was wondering if this could b my problem...I also look up and could be fuel pressure sensor and timing sensor.I really dont know what it is i can use all the help i can plz....
  • silvalittle59silvalittle59 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 impala, i bought some clear tail light covers and also adjusted some led lights. The tail lights do come on, also my break lights when pressed , but my signal lights do not work properly when I turn the signal both turn lights start to flash and also when i push the brake my console dims lighter. i don't have any bulbs right now on my front corner lights i was wondering if that was the problem or is there anything that i forgot to do thank you
  • musgrovemusgrove Member Posts: 6
    I want to thank everyone here who has posted concerning the BCM issue. I had mine replaced today in our 2001 impala. The first sign of trouble was about three months ago when the red picture of the battery came on the dash. Clicking was coming from near the glove box and the glove box light would flash on and off. Our mechanic did a couple of things that cleared the codes. About once a week we would get the battery indicator light, clicking and noticed the low beam lights were flashing on and off.

About a month ago my wife called and said that the car was doing its thing and I got it to the mechanic while it was acting up. He put it on the computer and absolutely no codes showed up. He said it was not discharging and the blinking went away. I drove it nearly every day including a 360 mile round trip to my dad’s house. It started really acting up about 10 days ago. Clicking, all the lights on the dash flashing off and on, head lights flashing off and on. The glove box light would flash off and on with the clicking coming from that area for 4-5 hours after the car was shut off.

I was determined to drive the car until I knew it would act up at the dealers place. I could drive it all morning without a problem but in the hot afternoon for the last 3-4 days the light show would begin. The day before yesterday I opened the trunk with the remote and the back-up lights and the headlights started blinking. Turned on the ignition and got the light show. Took it to the dealer while it was acting up and the service rep saw it. Yesterday, after having it sit in the shop all morning he called and said it would not act up for them. I suggested they park it in the hot sun for awhile. He called back yesterday evening and said sure enough it put on the light display for them and the mechanic said it needed a new BCM. They replaced it this morning and went and parked it in the sun for a few hours and everything was working OK this afternoon. He said the mechanic could also “communicate” with some devices after replacing it that he could not before it was replaced so felt pretty comfortable that the BCM was the problem.

The charges were $170 for the labor, $239.06 for the BCM, $15 shop supplies, and $22.91 for sales tax. Total = $446.97. If this does not fix it I will post accordingly.

Charlie D.
  • rebelngreyrebelngrey Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the post. Your note describes my 2001 in every word. The one thing I have been able to correct is the sporadic starting issues. As long as I keep the neg battery post clean, no starting issues. As for the lights, AC, blinkers, warning lights, its like a show. BUT, the one item I noticed more than anything that you mentioned is the heat. In the 2.5 years I've owned the car, there have been no issues with the electronics as long as the temperature in the car is below 60. Go ahead and laugh. I am serious. I've monitored it enough to know it has to be some kind of relay/switch overheating issue. I'll learn more after leaving it in the shop this week. I hope they do find it, and maybe reprogramming the BCM will solve it.
  • dlmurphy13dlmurphy13 Member Posts: 1
    I tried you link for instructions to replace the hazard switch for 2001 Impala, the link didn't work for me...is there another link to instructions???
    Thanks for your help!!
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    Dunno - the photos & instructions are still on Flickr. Try this link again:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93599926@N00/sets/72157602620999931/
  • polymeshpolymesh Member Posts: 4
    The Flickr photo how-to is what I used about a month ago to replace my hazard switch.. twice. Unfortunately the replacement switch went bad in the first 600 miles. Fortunately I replaced it right before a big trip, so I was able to get a second replacement within the 6 day warranty (ordered off ebay). Hope this one lasts!

I did discover during the second replacement that you don't have to pop off the front of the switch (which does break it). Instead you can slide a really skinny screwdriver or thin but sturdy metal or whatever directly into where the clip is that holds it in place. I was able to get mine off without breaking it or removing the dash. But if you break it it's probably no big deal since you are replacing it anyway.. although, if your case is like mine and the replacement is even worse.. anyway.. good luck!
  • montecarl02montecarl02 Member Posts: 6
    1st they say they made the sensor cables too short that go to the speed sensors. being that they'll try and sell you that. Dont' buy into it. These cars all have major wiring issues. As GM thinks it's OK to put a ground connection over painted body panels. I have a 02' monte (electrically the same car, as with most other functions) and I was able to fix mine by removing the ground wires, cleaning/replacing it fixed the ABS/traction. There's also a problematic area where the AC cable, ABS sensor wires, and multiple ground wires meet and come together by the AC accumulator mounting ring ( on the driver side, under air filter box, shiny silver cannister with line coming in and one out- that's the accumulator) the cable beside that with all the wires coming in and out of that is a problem area, where chaffing is caused from hte mounting ring.
  • montecarl02montecarl02 Member Posts: 6
    I have all the same issues with my 02' Monte, did replacing the BCM fix your problems? I'm very critical of that being the issue. I'm going to freeze the BCM and test, then bake it and test again. My guess is either way it'll do the same thing.
  • jrpnfwjrpnfw Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2004 Impala new. I have for the most part been very happy with it. The only real issue I am having is with the speedometer. It will sometimes say I am going 100 mph or more when only going maybe 30. And sometimes it will say I am going negative speed when going 55. It goes all over the place. I never know when it will go crazy on me. It makes it very difficult to know my actual speed. I am fortunate to have an information center that I can check my average speed. That is how I see how fast I am going. Is there any recourse with this issue? I look online at times to see if there have been any recalls we missed. Nothing so far about this problem. I have been told it will be several hundred dollars to fix. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
  • dmillerjdmillerj Member Posts: 1
    About 6 months ago with about 90,000 miles I started to have the following problem: when I start the car, sometimes (but not every time) the overhead info center would not come on, the HVAC would not work, and the cruise control light would come on but the system would not work. The problem always involved these 3 items, and only them. When this first started, everything would start working fine within about 5 minutes after driving. The problem has steadily gotten worse (happens more frequently, lasts longer, etc.). It is been a condition that I could somewhat ignore, but now that the frost is on the pumkin, winter driving without a heater and rear window defogger will be intolerable. I suspect a grounding problem or a computer module, but have not had it in for check up...probably will be expensive and may or may not cure the problem. Any ideas?
  • rebelngreyrebelngrey Member Posts: 2
    BODY CONTROL MODULE needs to be replaced. GM has avoided a recall on the mid-sized cars and trucks made from 1999 through 2004, and made most people go through the electrical nightmare or replacing every component before telling them it is the BCM. The problems came from after-market components used to build the cars. You can buy a BCM and install it yourself, but then GM needs to program it. For that, they will charge you an installation fee. I bought a warranty plan with my 2001 Impala when I got it from a GM dealer in 2008. In order to utilize the investment, I DEMANDED the dealer cover the BCM. They did, and it worked. After all, they had no issue covering the ECM/ECU, better known as the Power-train Control Module. My warranty specifically addressed power-train, but made exceptions for the electrical. I explained that the BCM prevented by car from starting, and they we able to provide the coverage for minimal costs.
  • cfillercfiller Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Impala and had the same speedometer problem. We had a wiring harness replaced. The Chev dealer said we'll get our money back if they have a recall on that part...so far no word of recall. It was mighty scary watching the speedometer go faster when I was slowing down or stopped!!! works now though. Now my problem is the switch for the AC/heat. If it doesn't work, I have to slam the passenger side door and it works!!! If anybody knows how to solve that problem, let me know!!!
  • wayniac67wayniac67 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2008 Impala and I am very frustrated ,I have only had it 3 years,my radio goes on and off,has been doing that for months,if you take the key out of the ignition it keeps chiming ,you have to put the key back in and turn it on then off,my back defroster quit working,my onstar won't work because of the radio and my battery has been dead several times after coming out to my car from work,I took it to my dealer and of course the only warranty left is the powertrain ! I bought a new car because my used car was breaking down on me,I had no car payment though,now I am breaking down and paying 450 a month,I am so angry ,now I am going to have to pay a dealer big bucks for repairs,I thought Chey was dependable and stood behing their cars but I am starting to reconsider. :mad:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    wayniac67,
    I apologize for your experience. When did you start experiencing these problems? Can you please e-mail your VIN and current mileage? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • artie529artie529 Member Posts: 2
  • artie529artie529 Member Posts: 2
    I do not know what happened to my message before. As a result I will repeat. Everyone should call 1-888-327-4236 DOT Auto Safety Line to create a RECALL of this problem as I did.
    You may get results. GOOD LUCK
  • chevowner1chevowner1 Member Posts: 1
    I am responding also, as I have a 2005 Chev Impala and the speedodometer, the overheat monitor both go crazy constantly. I have been watching for a recall for about 2 years. It is going to cost $500 to fix this problem. I find very frustrating as I have had this problem for about 2 years and have to constantly judge my speed and keep a check on my radiator as I cannot trust my factory installed equipment. I have never owned another brand vehicle other than a Chev and this is the first time I have been truly disappointed with my vehicle. I am now thinking about going for a Nissan in the future as I have spoken with numerous Nissan owners who seem to never have electrical issues.
    Sometimes the security system causes the car not to start for no reason and you have to wait 10 minutes to start your car.
    I am also aware that my local police dept impalas also have this issue. It is sad when a police officer is going on a call and his car will not start and he had to wait 10 minutes to "protect and serve" the citizens because the police dept chose a chev impala.
    Thank you for your time.
    edited February 2011
    The "no-start" problem is probably the "passlock sensor" The other problems with the guages may be related to a defective BCM (Body Control Module)
    Chevys are Junk: My 02 Impala needed a BCM, Passlock Sensor, Intake manifold gasket, ISS steering shaft is noisy, high low beam combination switch was defective.

Chevy's are Lemons! :lemon:
  • jazzycazzjazzycazz Member Posts: 1
    The "low oil pressure - stop engine now" beeping constantly in 2006 chevrolet impala. I keep the oil changed constantly, but beeping continues off and on. I use 5W30 during oil changes. Does it need Synthetic? can i disconnect this dang beeping somehow? Where is this sensor located?
  • phatkat66phatkat66 Member Posts: 2
  • phatkat66phatkat66 Member Posts: 2
    I've changed the bulbs on my brake light but no luck also my turn signals went out. I've checked through the manual to see which fuses I should check but I can't seem to figure out which ones power the turning signals and brake lights. Anyone can tell me which ones to look at? I have the manual but nothing specifically says "brake light".

Thanks
  • sbehling1sbehling1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi my name is Shannel. I was woundering if you ever found out the problem with your 2000 impala? I am having the same problem with my Impala. Thanks
  • hank164hank164 Member Posts: 2
    Shannel - The stalling while idling of the 2000 Impala was fixed by GM through a Bulletin which increased computer controlled idle speed.
    Hank 64
  • sbehling1sbehling1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank u:) I just got my Cadillac Converter and my starter fix. So I thought the problem was behind me but yesterday will out I when to start my car and it woundn't start for about 10-15 mins. I'm getting to the piont to where I want to sale it but I love it to much. Was it an electrical problem that chevy fix? Also do you mind if I ask how much it cost?
  • kaatje03kaatje03 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 as well with low miles and mine is doing the same. I found that it tends to fix it self after I alot of driving around and parking.. Like I went shopping one day and i went to several stores.. After each time I parked and got back in the car a few minutes later the spedometer would go down a little. I havent had to take it in yet to get fixed as that seems to fix the problem when it happens. Which it has 2 times.. I'm thinking of getting rid of the car as I have a few other issues.. I think the 2004 must be a bad year..
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    It is not just the 2004 that the instrament panel needles stick. I found on my 2004 that the speedometer and temp gages stick when the instrament panel gets hot. I drive at night with the dash lights dim to keep the dash from heating up. Another trick is to close one of the dash vents on either side of the I/P and run the A/C. This keeps the I/P from heating up and the gages work properly. You can also take the instrument panel out and have it rebuild for around $170. There are several sites on the internet that will do the work. It appears to be a common problem on many GM vehicles not just Impalas.
    Does any one have any problems with there engine cradle on the 2002 Impalas?

Click on Link: http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/gmlemons/

The issue seems to be with the 2000 and 2001 models. I have a 2002 model. Does anyone know if GM fixed the problem??? :confuse:
  • shaunlynadyshaunlynady Member Posts: 1
    IM having a problem with my 2000 chevey impala, after i shut the ignition off, my parking lights wont turn off, i checked my fuses, i took the head light switch out and put it back in, BTW that is one complicated switch, i lost my instrument panel lights as well, my mechanic is even stumped. any help?
  • 2oldn2ys2oldn2ys Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. Mine does it when its cold. Once the motor warms up and I come to a complete stop and then take off it will work. I have had it not fix itself on two occasions and actually go all the way around 1.5 times! This has gone on for the last 2 years. For about the same amount of time the passengers windshield wiper will begin to flop and stop working. I have to tighten it up to get it to work for a short time once again. Now the new problem is the car not starting. Looking like electrical problems. Once I put it in neutral and try starting it a few times it will start. It doesn't have that many miles to be having this much trouble. My 97 Ford F150 has 189,000 miles and less problems!!
  • 2oldn2ys2oldn2ys Member Posts: 2
    Wow! You described many of my problems I am now having on my 2004!!! Thank you for your post. I figured electrical. Hopefully I can bring this up to mechanic and check it out!
  • frankflafrankfla Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my remote so if anyone has a solution please let me know. Is the problem with the receiver? I have replaced the battery but the problem persists. We have 2 remotes...same problem with both.
  • 2005impala2005impala Member Posts: 1
    No matter the amount of gas I put into my car the gas light comes on I do not notice any leaks, but my gas hand never worked it always showed empty but just recent my gas fuel light will not go away. I do not know what to do.
  • polymeshpolymesh Member Posts: 4
    The same thing happened to me when my "fuel level sensor" went bad. In my 2001 Impala I was able to replace it without removing the gas tank due to an access panel between the trunk and back seet under the carpeting. I think I bought a replacement sensor only rather than the entire system that it is connected to. It cost 25$ after shipping from rockauto.com. I know I found some directions doing a google search that had pictures and stuff. Best of luck!
  • sunnyxxzerosunnyxxzero Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 impala ls as well and iv been having problems but with the gas and rpm gauges. it did this since the day i got it then about 4 months ago my heat on driver side stopped working and the gauges didn't act up. but then my heat started working out of nowhere about 2 weeks ago and the gauges acted up again. it doesn't bother me. after i turn my car off i let it cool down then when i turn it back on its back to normal.
  • ambieambie Member Posts: 2
    I noticed that when the weather started getting colder, the car was slower to start. I replaced the battery and it seemed to help. After about a month, it started doing it again. All the lights work, key fob, horn, everything. It turns over a few times very slowly, then nothing. If I wait a few seconds and try, it will turn over again a couple times. Finally after trying it it will slowly turn over then start. It only seems to do this when it's cold (today it was 65 degrees out and it started fine). Any ideas? Could I just need a stronger battery or is something more?

:cry:
  • sparetire1sparetire1 Member Posts: 2
    When you had the battery changed was the charging system checked? There could be a problem with the alternator charging the battery properly and not bringing it up to a full charge. Without a full charge it will be harder to turn over the engine on a cold day. If at all possible have a mechanic where the battery came from check out the alternator.
  • ambieambie Member Posts: 2
    The person that put the new battery in said they took the terminal off with the car started and the car stayed running, so the alternator is working. But what you're saying makes sense, the problem is only when it's cold out, never once has it happened when it's warmer.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Testing an alternator that way is not a good idea. Don't let them do that again. Damage can result.
    We are having these same problems since the car was 2 years old,my husband was told you had to pull the dash,can you tell us how to get to it and where it is? I am so annoyed with this car,I bought a new car because my old car kept breaking down,I am still breaking down paying 480 a month plus full coverage insurance,I am so annoyed. :lemon:
    where do I email my VIN number,I am continuing to have problems and GM dealer says nothing is wrong with it,even though,the battery is going dead,the radio goes on and off,back defroster goes on and off,I hate it! Its a lemon. :lemon:
    Thats,what I thought was wrong with mine but the dealership says no,they say its my battery ,which I have had 2 ,only 6 months since last one,advance says the battery is fine,they also say my radio is bad and that my back defroster works(which it doesn;t) :cry:
    I know this is an old post but I am having the same problems,my radio goes on and off,back defroster goes on and off,my battery goes dead at times,thought it was BCM but has never been confirmed,mine started around 40,000 miles,I am so angry! I have always been Chevy but I am starting to hate them ! and I am telling everyone I know not to buy them. :mad: :lemon: