Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Lighting/Electrical Problems

12345679»

Comments

• revjim64revjim64 Member Posts: 78
    If you are having BCM problems it is probably best to have the dealer replace it because the BCM has to be programmed with a special computer. You can not reprogram the BCM with a standard OBD II code reader.
    When I had my BCM replaced back in 2005, the dealer charged me about $400.00. I contacted Chevy Customer service because the care was less then 3 years old but I just exceeded the 36k mileage warranty. Chevy agreed to reimberse me for half the cost.

My 02 Impala is a lemon, and from the posts that I am reading about the newer models, Chevy is still growing more lemons at the factory! :lemon:
    I have an 02 Impala and my rear defogger stopped working. I checked the breaker and it was ok. I replaced the defogger relay and it still doesn't work.
    Does anyone else have this problem? :confuse:
  • wayniac67wayniac67 Member Posts: 12
    I called this number and reported it.
    :(
    I did take it to a dealer,who said the computer said BCM was good,my radio still doesn't work ,back defrost on and off,battery goes dead occasionally and the key chimes,they said a bad battery,was just checked a couple days earlier was told it was fine and it was bought less than a year ago when the same thing was going on.They said I needed a new radio also but it works fine when it works,plays awhile then shuts off or stays on even after you open the door. :lemon:
  • joe394joe394 Member Posts: 1
    ive had the same problem for years with my 2000 Chevy. Although last week surprise it happened again! I immediately investigated once again and checked the starter fuse under the hood and other fuses. They felt a little loose so i secured them the best i could and it started right up!!! Coincidence?? im not sure but ill find out. Also it helps to turn the key very slowly allowing all the electrical to start up whlile u hear the tone of the car...and then start it. I noticed this atleast gets it started faster!!
  • reedgirlreedgirl Member Posts: 8
    I am having a problem with my 2006 Chev Impala LS
    I just had a total tranny rebuild in which my car was good for a week, now my gauges have went haywire and the engine is cutting out and it sounds like the door locks are being locked/unlocked. Has anyone any idea what this could be?
    I know the earlier impalas 2000-2004 had BCM (body control module) problems. Not sure if your vehicle is equipped with a BCM.
    The engine cutting out could possibly be a crankshaft position sensor. I would start with a code reader and see what you get. :confuse:
  • dorgosdorgos Member Posts: 2
  • dorgosdorgos Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Chevy Impala with an odd issue. Most of the neither of the two key fobs work. However as soon as we unlock the door with the key they both start working fine. Five minutes later they stop working again until we unlock a door with the key. We have tried reprogramming both fobs but it doesn't seem to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • reedgirlreedgirl Member Posts: 8
    It has been at the tranny shop for another week, I am just about ready to go crazy, they thought they had it running good yesterday to no avail. The tranny seems to be shutting down, along with my dash and now it wont start sometimes. They are getting different readings, but I guess they can't seem to narrow it down, seems funny the car ran ok, until the tranny was done!
  • angielynnangielynn Member Posts: 3
    So I just bought my 2003 Impala used, less than 3 weeks ago. I had previously owned a 2000 Impala, which I drove until just recently. I would still be driving her had she not finally died after 265,000 (hard) miles. I STILL love that car.
    I am having a crazy and potentially dangerous problem. It started with me driving down the road, about 50 miles an hour, and my dash lights all flash on. My gauges drop to nothing. My message center first displays the red "battery" light, then shows nothing. My power steering shuts off, ABS doesn't work, and I throw it in neutral as I coast to the side of the road. I stop, throw it in "Park", and turn the key off. Wait a second, then turn my key to "On" and wait until I hear my fuel pump cycle and everything resets itself. Turn the key, starts right up like it never happened. No evidence of the incident remains, not even the "Check Engine" light. This will not happen on my 47 mile commute in to work, yet on my ride home it could happen 1-8 times, maybe more if I have to go further.
    I took it to the shop, no codes show and of course it doesn't happen when they're in the car. They replaced the TPS sensor. The 30 mile ride home from the shop (at 2pm), no incidents. 4 days later, 47 mile ride in to work (6am), no problem. Ride home from work (6:30pm) shuts off exactly like before, 3 separate times.
    Today, shut down 3 times exactly like before, the 4th time the entire dash flat-lined, all gauges, the P R N D 3 2 1 shift icons, shut off. The only light remaining belonged to my odometer. The car was still driving. Engine never shut off, ran fine for 5 miles with no dash activity (aside from the odmeter still rolling) and shut off totally like before.
    My Impala has a V6, 3.6 engine. I put in the (barely 3 month old) battery from my '00, so I've already done that. The TPS sensor. I have heard of a "Crank Sensor" that may be the culprit. Also the "BCM".
    I know this is a lot of information, but I hope to cover all the bases. I'm not looking for alternator, starter, or an actual engine mechanical suggestion. With the research I have put into this issue, I'm leaning towards electrical/sensor/computer issue.
    I loved my '00, and I'm not willing to complain about how awful these cars are. I've had nothing but good luck with the Impala brand. My '00 had a few electrical 'ghosts' as well-the turn signal only worked if I pushed slightly on the hazard switch, I had to remove the stock stereo because it would cycle (with no disc) until my battery died. Those issues were easy to overlook when compared to never having to replace anything mechanical (aside from normal wear-and-tear) for almost 10 years. I am a die-hard Impala lover, for better or for worse.
    So please, anyone with any suggestions, please reply. I want to make sure I do as much research as possible before I start a trek that could be very expensive. Thank you for reading through this long post, I am open to any suggestions.
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    I have yet to experience this problem in my 2004 Impala but from what I have read over the past few years the symptoms you have described are from either a battery going bad or the BCM going bad.
    Thanks for the help! I did the battery thing, and that didn't help. Right now they're changing a part that is involved with the computer. I forget what it is, but I know that it is a roughly $500 part. The hard part was getting it to happen while it was in the shop. The BCM shouldn't have been it (according to the shop) because my door locks, windows, lights, or any of the other electrical body components weren't acting up. My dashboard, and the engine were all that seemed affected. I am getting the car back tomorrow, and I will post what part we replaced, and whether or not it fixes the problem. I hope it works, but I'm pretty realistic about electrical problems. It can take time to find the real culprit.
    So I just got my car back yesterday. I had the ECM changed. It's a $500 part of my computer that (I guess) tells my car what to do and in what order to drive down the road. I drove around for a few hours after picking it up, put almost 150 miles on just trying to shut it off. So far so good. Not one hiccup. If anything changes, I will post what happens and what we do to fix it. Money is no object on this one, because the car only had 33,000 miles on it when I got it (I know, pretty good for a 2003) so our bank offered an awesome warranty that I will be availing myself of any service I need to to figure this issue out.
  • morrism817morrism817 Member Posts: 1
    Easy fix bro. take apart your key fob and carefully bend the battery contacts out slightly and swap the 2023 remote battery for a 2032 remote battery. perfect fix will never fail again. i had the same issue.
  • bostonbirmybostonbirmy Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 Impala purchased new. I have been very pleased...good economy, comfortable, great looks. Recently I have encountered a problem connected with the Daytime Running Lights. When driving daytime with the DRL "on", the entire lighting system, including dashboard lamps will go into rapid oscillation with accompanying noise like the clicking of a relay from the area behind the dash on the passenger side. This occurs when the car passes into shadow, such as that of an underpass. I can simulate same by putting my hand over the photodiode on the dash. There is supposed to be a time delay built into the system so that short passages into darkness do not produce such an effect. Oh yes, if I pull out the headlight switch, the relay noise persists but the lights no longer flash off and on. Driving at night there is no problem. Anyone have this problem or heard about it?
    Sounds like the symptoms of a faulty BCM (Body Control Module)
    Your best bet is to have the dealer diagnose this. If the BCM needs replacement you are probably looking at $500-600 dollars. Unfortunately you can not replace this yourself because it requires special programing that involves a computer and typing in your VIN #.

Good luck! Other common problems for this model vehicle is defective high/low beam combination switch. Faulty Passlock sensors, Noisey ISS shaft in steering columnn, intake manifold gasket leaks, and recall on cat converter. Other than that it is a smooth riding car! :sick:
  • scotte67scotte67 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to troubleshoot why my heater blower, cruise control and info center above my rear-view mirror has stopped working. I am trying to confirm power to an orange wire next to the driver-side fuse box. I have confirmed no power at the fuses. I am hoping the problem is the wire box below the fuse box and not the ignition switch. I have a wiring diagram and the power feed to these three fuses is via an Orange wire. There are two Orange wires in the box, I am trying to determine which one feeds the fuses for these three devices. I have a picture of the fuse box. Any help is appreciated.
  • cat54cat54 Member Posts: 2
    hey, tony .g. here. working on a 2001 impala(after someone was at it) and did various resetting techs to no avail. car did start once. now i discovered tha it has this BCM and every impal/malibu problem posted that i have read has lead me to this module. todd u have endurance. if this car comes around i will be posting with u in mind. thanks thus far and in fact thanks to all who i now know has chevy BCM problem. have a good one. :mad:
  • doublegg1970doublegg1970 Member Posts: 1
    Possibly another BCM victim here. My step-daughter's 2000 Impala (3.4L) has been acting up for a while now. No easy to get to codes, but with a deeper look, have a code B2648, Ambient Light Sensor Circuit Voltage High. Of course this falls under the BCM arena. Not wanting to shell out $500 on a car that's up for sale. Especially when it doesn't really effect the rest of the car, other than the 'Service Vehicle Soon' light that stays on constantly, which I will have to explain to potential buyers and hope they believe me. I say the rest of the car is unaffected, but if not started for a few days, it does have a starting issue. When trying to start, the interior lights all flash quickly and clicking is heard. My step-daughter, has figured out that if she pumps the accelerator repeatedly while holding the key over, it eventually starts. But it does sound horrible while doing so. If started often, no issue. GM really should warranty this for us. A new part should work... and shouldn;t require flashing to make it work. Should come with complimentary flashing if you ask me. I can buy one from Autozone for half the price. Frustrating.
  • dommer21dommer21 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Impala.
    It runs perfectly fine, until the temperature reaches about 25 degrees Celsius.
    Then the ticking happens. There was a ticking on the passenger side, which would cause my cabin lights to flicker. But I figured out that it was the battery relay in the panel.
    But there is still a ticking and if feels like it is coming out of the steering column. I can feel it in my steering wheel when i have my hands on it.
    That ticking causes my radio to not work. a message shows up saying cal error and then locked. Also, my running lights flicker unless i turn my headlights on, then it stops and when i am driving there is a loud tick unless i put my foot on the break. And the biggest problem this causes is that my fan to cool my engine stops working, and i need to drive at least 60 km/h to keep if from overheating. If i am stuck in traffic on a hot summer day my car will over heat.

I hope someone knows how to solve this problem !!
  • nealwnealw Member Posts: 2
    I now have a similar problem with my 2003, but is is intermittant and effects the AC and cruise control only, as far as I can determine. Do know if I pull the 10 amp ac/cruise fuse the blower will run in the #5 position?

Based on your experiences can you give me any ideas?
  • nealwnealw Member Posts: 2
    After much head scratching I have come to the conclusion that there must be one or more loose ground connections. Sometimes the problem goes away when I hit a bump in the road. Does anybody know where the G201 and G202 grounds are physcially located?
  • randyosb76randyosb76 Member Posts: 1
    I have a odd question about my Head/Fog lights for my car. I was sitting in my house late at night when I saw what I think was my fog lights since they were more yellow kind of like if it was my turn signal or fog lights when they started to flicker by themselves. Now a little back story I have been having issues with my turn signal not working and to get them to work I hit my hazards and then my turn signal will start to work again. Not sure if the two are connected but the lights just randomly flickering by themselves is new. Has anyone experienced or heard about this happening?
  • ccody115ccody115 Member Posts: 1
    So my 2001 impala is having some problems electrically (I think). At first when I would crank the car up it would say service engine soon. When I would go to put my blinker on, a sound from the instrument cluster would start and suddenly my abs, my parking brake, and air bag light would come on. I replaced the hazard switch and the turn signals are still not working but the hazard lights work. It has new front brakes and plenty of brake fluid. The brakes work just fine. Yesterday the headlights had come one when they weren't suppose to and the interior lights weren't working for about a minute. The Seat belt light also lit up long after I had already put it on. This hasn't happened again since yesterday. Could this be a problem with the instrument cluster itself?? HELP!!!!
  • cat54cat54 Member Posts: 2
    Are you drivers having any start problems? Car security reset issues? Have the vehicle's BCM (body control module) checked out. Normally you have to change it. Cost about $400. The BCM controls most of your lighting and cars electrical functions. Hope this helps somwhat.
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    Change out the turn signal lever. It will solve your head light and turn signal issues
  • policeimpala1policeimpala1 Member Posts: 1
    Wsp guys i have a 2002 police impala v6 3.8l everytime i put in a blinker fuse 15a it keep on blowing out. Anybody know why?
  • meowmix7121meowmix7121 Member Posts: 3
    The clinking i hear in my impala is a fan thats connecting to a faulty belt.. i have not gotten it fixed yet, i found the fan myself when the car was off, (it was still running)
  • meowmix7121meowmix7121 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a Impala for 500 bucks, obviously it was going to have problems lol. I can't pin point the exact problem, I'm hoping for some help.

After buying the car, the car needed a jump to start. I bought a new battery, when the mechanic tested the battery he said it had a bad cell, i figured cool 1 problem down.... HA.

So, the next day she starts up dandy. I went to the bank to cash a check, literally in and out, i try to start the car but its dead. wtf. My friend comes and gives me a Jump and charges the battery for a couple minutes, i was then driving to the post office and she starts over heating?? The battery light flashes on & off on the message board, And the red hot coolant starts flashing as well. I Immediately pull over and open the hood to find some smoke but not a lot.. There was also a very loud clanking sound after i shut the car off.. It lasts a few minutes then stops, i eventually found where it was coming from, a cooling fan, not sure which one but i saw it turning and hitting the car. I let the car cool off, jump it and take it to the shop again for a coolant flush and alternator. Still dies and overheats, I'm thinking it has something to do with the wiring the past owners did? Or if maybe a jump blew a fuse or cable.. maybe a power surge through the car? Not sure what's going on here... going to get a free diagnostic and quote hopefully saturday. Every thought helps [=
    Could be a bad fan or a bad head gasket. The running hot and after run may indicate that you need a head gasket. If you flush the radiator and find oil in the antifreeze or if you check the oil on the dipstick and see evidence of water than you need new head gaskets. How many miles and what year is this Impala? Hey for 500 dollar car it may be worth putting a 1000 into it!
    I have learned to live with my 2008 because no one seems to know how to fix it.My radio works at times and at times it doesn't. I take my keys out and it will ding like they aren't out( also comes and goes) randomly an air bag light or service engine light will come on.At times my back defrost works and at times it doesn't.I don't want to buy another car so I will live with it.SO frustrating when I finally bought a new car this happened <after only 3 years,I should have bought a used car.
  • mrdennisatmrdennisat Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2011 chevy Impala with a rather peculiar habit. Twice since I've owned it the heating switch, Rear window defogger switch, fan switch, and anything to do with the A/C goes completely dead. If I shut the car off and start up again everything works like nothing ever happened. Any ideas ? No codes or anything come up.
  • wohler15wohler15 Member Posts: 1
    I just got the BCM replaced on my 2002 Chevy impala and that was the result of anti theft, flicking lights upon start up and radio locking. We thought it was the wires that could of chewed my a mouse by it was the computer! So if your lights flicker when start, get the computer changed!
  • fhaasfhaas Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Chevy impala LS. I went to turn my car to the "ACC" position and noticed my instrument panel cluster lights were dim and my information center kept displaying all the warning lights ( Battery, Low fuel, service engine soon, etc.). Also I heard a loud clicking sound underneath the dash next to the emergency brake. The headlights would flicker on and off as well. All of this kept happening even after I took the key out.

Is this an issue with the BCM? Or is it related to the battery?

Any information would be much appreciated!
    Thank you
  • berniejbberniejb Member Posts: 1

Have '02 Impala, 6c, auto. Periodically, when using turn signal, there is a buzzing noise, the airbag light blinks and the door locks will open and close Ignition switch? Today, I can't start it. Electrics work (radio, lights, gauges) Battery OK, as is gen and start. ??????

• izhemadizhemad Member Posts: 1

Same probs, flashing lights, outside & inside. the clicking noise was from the Battery Run down Protection Relay, when I took it out it was hotter than hell. still did the flashing and stuff butt the click was gone. If you pull the 10 fuse next to the Starter Relay on the driver's side, wait 2 or 3 minutes and push it back in, it seem to reset itself and the car would work for a few days. Thought it was the Starter Relay but wasn't. You can use the Rear Defog Relay from the passenger side and swap it with the Starter relay to test because they are the same relay. So now I am getting a Battery Run Down Protection Relay and hope it's that and not the BCM, which will be next if this don't work. Hope this helps someone! =D

• Biggi53Biggi53 Member Posts: 2
    killsmice said:

I have a 2003 Impala and had a similar problem with the headlights and dash lights.
    My fix was to replace the Body Control Module. "BCM"

What part on the vehicle is controlling the remotes ? Which part accept them when u trying to program new ones ?
  • Biggi53Biggi53 Member Posts: 2
    Remotes
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,737
    edited December 2019
    The "RCDLR" ( Remote Control Door Lock Reciever), also known as the Remote Keyless Entry Module.
    The body computer is the module that recieves and confirms the identity and commands from the key fobs via the RCDLR.
  • BrianbrayBrianbray Member Posts: 1

So I'm having like the same issue as everyone else mine is an 03 impala but as soon as I start my car it will run fine for a few miles then out of no where my lights start flickering my locks start locking and unlocking my check engine light comes on my abs light comes on and then my battery light starts going off all while my car is driving. Scared the crap out of me I was on the freeway doing 70 when it happened thought my car was going to brake down bought a code reader and of course dam car isn't throwing any codes idk what the issue is but would like to get some ideas before spending out the butt for putting my car in a shop?