Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Navigation System

bakerncbakernc Member Posts: 2
My navigation system works great, but when I start to accelerate the destination screen greys everything except "emergency" -also my menu screen greysout prev dest and my places . When I stop they all work again--seems to occur about 10-12 miles per hour. Is this suppose to happen and is it a safety function? Thanks

Comments

• ednovakednovak Member Posts: 55
    My navigation system works great, but when I start to accelerate the destination screen greys everything except "emergency" -also my menu screen greysout prev dest and my places . When I stop they all work again--seems to occur about 10-12 miles per hour. Is this suppose to happen and is it a safety function? Thanks

This is NOT normal operation. Sounds like you have something is wrong with the speed sensor connection. It's time for a visit to Toyota for diagnostics and repair.
  • mtber3737mtber3737 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna. We're Realtors and constantly use the navigation system as part of our jobs. The last time I checked Toyota did not have an updated version of the software. We get our Inifinity's nav system updated every year... what's going on with Toyota???
  • kwidjajakwidjaja Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have the same problem. I also have a 2004 Toyota Sienna and need Navigation updates. According to my local dealer, the next update is due January/February 2006. Hope this helps.

-Kristian
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    The new DVD map disc will be available in January. The MSRP will be $250. ;)
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    Has anyone heard anything about when the Toyota voice activated navigation system will be available on the 2006 Sienna? Avalon and some other Toyota models already have it - Lexus has it of course.
  • jurryjurry Member Posts: 3
    About to purchase 2006 Sienna Limited. Dealer offered to install Eclipse Nav package to HE model as HO model hard to find. What's the difference between Eclipse and Toyota nav units. Dealer will also install bluetooth and back up camera.
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    The back-up camera is not a big deal to integrate with the Eclipse navigation unit. When the vehicle is placed in reverse it will display the rear camera input.

I am curious how the Bluetooth will be integrated with the Eclips radio/navigation unit. If it is an aftermarket Bluetooth adaptor it will not mute the radio or navigation when a call is received or replaced unless it has provisions for such. In contrast, the factory navigation unit will mute all sources when a call is in process. Plus the factory navigation features (06MY Sienna) feature voice dialing too! The Eclipse unit is just not as advanced.

The last MAJOR concern is the warranty. The factory installed navigation comes with a 3 year or 36K mile factory warranty. If the navigation should fail (or the back-up camera) the dealership will repair and replace the unit... nationwide. However, the aftermarket unit (or camera) may need to be handled by Eclipse. Plus all of this non-factory equipment must be integrated with your vehicle. While the unit in the dash will be easy to integrate the rear view camera will require a more extensive installation process.

Check with the dealership and be cautious! Other dealers do not like to handle other dealer installed options (DIO) when issues arise. If you move it may become an issue to have the vehicle serviced under warranty. ;)
  • jurryjurry Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! I'll wait for a another car with factory installed equipment.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    I think it's available now, isn't it?
  • kj2005kj2005 Member Posts: 17
    Not to be confused with the Toyota/Lexus Gen 2 and 3 DVDs now showing up on eBay as the latest 5.1 data released in Jan 2006 --- the 2006 Sienna has a Gen 5 system and that DVD is not due out until late January per Toyota Tech Support.

I'm disappointed I just purchased a 06 XLE Limited and now I would need to spend $250 to get the update given the lack of updated info on the DVD for Massachusetts.
  • navguynavguy Member Posts: 61
    Just for clarification...

The GEN 5 navigation system for the 06MY Sienna is much more advanced than Avalon. The GEN 5 system is vastly superior to the Avalon since you can input the address and place a call via voice recognition. Plus you can find a nearby gas station, hotels, ATMs, Post Offices, etc by saying, "Nearby hotel"... just insert say the POI you want. It is the coolest thing you have ever seen!
    If you do find some map discrepancies report them either to your local dealership or to Toyota Customer Relationships @ 800 331 4331. Give them the specific information that is missing so that they can investigate it and get it fixed.

Another alternative is to report them directly to NAVTEQ. Use the following link to report to them - http://www.navteq.com/updates/mapfeedback.html
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    How can I remove the center console cover to get access to the wiring harnesses that attach to the rear of the two 12V cigarette lighter plugs near the bottom of the console?

In addition, does anyone know the color codes of the accessory power wire feeding the Navigation Unit and if there is a MUTE input to the unit so I can hook up a bluetooth device?
  • siennagirlsiennagirl Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

New to the boards, new to Toyota, new to Sienna. My office let me choose any vechicle for my position, and I felt the Sienna was the best choice. :shades:

I have a Limited AWD with navigation -- and after fiddling for nearly a week have some frustrations. Perhaps someone here can point me in the right direction?

First: Does anyone know where I can find better instructions on *using* the navigation, specifically a list of voice commands?

Second: Does anyone know what the truly latest version is? My dealer assured me I have it (ver. 5.1) but my companys' office isn't even listed, and it has been there for 5 years.

Thanks in advance for any help!

SiennaGirl
  • rqluerqlue Member Posts: 3
    So my 2005 Sienna XLE which I love has a safety feature in the navigation system -- you can't edit or do a search or many other uses when you're driving. I'm about to switch to a 2005 Odyssey Touring because of it. But I do like the Toyota more than Honda except for the nav. Is there a way to override it? I tried googling and didn't find any resource. Dealer says they can't override the safety feature.
    The system prevents users from inputting or modifying the in depth features that could detract you from driving.
    Okay, but it's not even just the in-depth features. It's ALL features!
    The hassle is when you're on a road trip and you are in the freeway and you decide you need to find a drugstore or a restaurant or even just the nearest gas station. One can't do a search on categories when you're driving with a co-pilot!
  • jcentenojcenteno Member Posts: 1
    I have one toyota sienna 2004 with the Toyota GPS navigation system but I live in Puerto Rico and toyota does not have the CD of the maps of Puerto Rico, I would like to know if it is possible to obtain it or how they would be possible to be obtained. :confuse:

Thank you very much.
    Javier Centeno
  • oceantoyotaoceantoyota Member Posts: 1
    My navigation system (Toyota Sienna 2004 xle) quit working after my battery died. i get a message saying the external unit is not connected? Anyone else have this problem???
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    No way around it I'm afraid. I actually did get rid of my 2005 XLE Limited AWD and replaced it with a 2006 Odyssey Touring. The Honda is a much nicer vehicle and more powrful too with more interior space and a sportier ride.
    Interesting.... I ended up doing the same thing -- got rid of my Sienna and opted for a Honda. Unfortunately, I'm not too keen on the remote control of the Odyssey. I think it's not as responsive as the Sienna. But I have a 2005 Odyssey Touring. Anyway, thanks for your email. Oh, BTW, a friend did find the work around, but it involves removing the nav system and doing some re-wiring work. Something that voids any warranty, I'm sure!
    One thing you can do is go to Map View and turn icons on/off for things like restaurants and gas stations and then view the icons on the map, clicking each one to see what it is or to set it as a destination. In the Setup menu, the icons in the Map View popup are customizable to the POI cateories that you prefer (for example I've replaced Parks with Post Offices).
    I would suggest using the Navigation Quick Reference Guide and view the Camry Navigation tutorial at:

http://toyotaiguide.com/iGuide_Camry.htm

The navigation units look different on the exterior but they operate exactly the same. I really found this site to be pretty good. Look for the navigation link at the bottom left hand corner after it loads the webpage.

Lastly, V6.1 will be released in January of 2007.
    No maps for Puerto Rico at this time. It's gonna be a couple of years until the map data is available. Same goes for Mexico, Alaska and Hawaii too.
  • egusmanegusman Member Posts: 15
    hello wavier, there may be a solution. i see that kenwood aftermarket navigations now has gps dvd maps with puerto rico on it. so you take the 2006 dvd map and burn the beginning firmware onto blank disc with dual layer dvd recorder. then you burn the kenwood map data on the rest of the dvd . so when you put in dvd it will be recognized by the headunit. i know the concept works because the 5th generation 2007 6.1 sienna update dvd has eliminated the override button that allows changes to destination while driving. industrious owners who wanted the updated maps of the 2007 update burned the 2006 firmware and the 2007 map data and it worked. they still have the override button but have the 2007 maps. the 2 original discs have to be purchased and the copies are only for the use of the owner of the 2 original discs to keep out of trouble with the copyright detectives. the only problem are the kenwood map files recognized by the toyota headunit. the lexus discs were of course of the same system so it wasn't a problem. i hope that helps. there are gps maps of puerto rico available from many manufacturers just not toyota yet.
  • pamlightftpamlightft Member Posts: 1
    Greetings! It's great when I put in a distance and the GPS indicates that the location is so many miles away. However, I'm trying to figure out what the estimated time arrival is based upon. I found the location to adjust the speed on various types of road. My question is - is the estimated arrival time based on REAL time? If so, is there a way to set that time? It doesn't appear to be related to the time on the clock by which you can change with the little buttons near the radio. Thanks!!
    It's based on real time (after calculating based on distance and those road speed settings). The GPS signal sends out the exact time so you should never have to set the navigation clock. If the time seems off then probably you don't have the time zone or daylight savings time setting set correctly. Go to Menu > Settings > Time Zone.
  • sno0py50sno0py50 Member Posts: 1
    well the 2004 sienna's battery is very poor. try to scoot the front passenger as far up as possible and then if you check under the seat from behind, you will see a black DVD player. on the left side slide open a screen then push the button. it will eject the navigation CD and maybe you can reload the map stuff. then slide in closed and put the disc back in. you will need to have the key in.
  • tkaztkaz Member Posts: 69
    How do I determine what version I have for my Nav system and what is available? I had asked at our local dealer if there were any updates available for a 2005 Sienna and was told no. If there are updates can I just buy the DVD and are their instructions to do it myself?
    Thanks,
    Tony
    Press the Menu button then the Map DVD onscreen button to find out what version you have. Then call the Toyota customer assistance line to find out if there is a newer version available. If you've never updated, then there should be a newer one available. The updates are released once/year.
    Thanks for the info. I have version 4.2. Will call Toyota.
  • fangsf15fangsf15 Member Posts: 4
    Egusman,

Can you tell me where I can purchase the Kenwood map disk that covers Alaska? All I can find is the Kenwood unit that has hard disk storage.

Also, where can I purchase the firmware for my 05 Toyota LandCruiser.

In short, how do I do this, because I confirmed with the AK Toyota dealer that they don't have a disk that covers AK. My wife is not going to like me when I tell her...

Thanks,
    Cliff Harvey
    fangsf15-at-yahoo.com
  • tls8thtls8th Member Posts: 27
    I have purchased a 2007 Sienna with Nav/DVD looking for a compatible satellite receiver from XM, anyone have model numbers that are compatible and from where?
  • swilloswillo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Sienna with a GPS. Just this weekend my map has gone a little crazy and is not working correctly. I am NOT where I am supposed to be. The area and roads it says I am on is way off. What is the problem?

Thanks.
  • balancesheetbalancesheet Member Posts: 25
    I think this is a known problem but Toyota has a fix for it. Contact your dealer right away.
  • rockdalerockdale Member Posts: 1
    hi sno0py50, My MAP DVD battery failed and the navigation system is not working now. The screen display:PLEASE INSERT MAP DVD ". Could you tell me what can I do ?
    Thank you!
  • hanszolhanszol Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have a 2007 Sienna and have shipped it to Europe.
    Is there an easy way to use the Navigation System in Europe, can I get a European Map for it somewhere?
    Thanks, Zol
    thats the problem with the 1 piece toyota units compared to the 2 piece lexus and higher end toyota unints(prius, land cruiser highlander)units. you can switch the whole gps unit. in the 1 piece sienna unit e7007 you would have to switch the internal drive and soft ware to european one. just the dvd map change wont do. the gps computer software readers are all regionalized just like movie dvds.
    its the laser of the gps computer that has failed not the map battery. it would have to do with incorrect map inserted not say you need to insert the map.
  • hanszolhanszol Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Is that the same regional code system as regular DVDs, (US1 Europe2) or something different?
    Changing regional codes is duable, but unfortunatly illegal.
    Guess will have to drive the old fashion way, did work for a while in history. :(
    What is the procedure to upgrade from 4.2 to 6.1 if you have the new DVD? I have a Gen4 system in my 2005 Sienna. Did I miss the procedure in my owner's manual?
    Just buy the new 6.1 DVD and insert it into the map disk drive. That's it. (Note, this is a map update. It's not going to give you new functions or features.)
  • louisvuittonlouisvuitton Member Posts: 1
    Egusman,help me pls,
    my love van display:please insert map dvd.how can i do ?
    last time my van does not work ,and the battary had been changed,can you give me some suggest to restore dvd ?
    the car is sienna 2007 xle limited
    ques1:i am in china,so map dvd navigations is no use,but now i can't insert cd,and not to play dvd.i only need dvd player and radio etc,not for dvd map,so what can i do this?
    qus2:my friends have lexus,prius,do you know which discs type available for sienna?
    qus3:how much of sienna dvd map(not for update) and how can i buy?my china dealer don't know this.
    thanks ,if you have some other way,pls tell me
    q1 cd slot is on top benind the screen. gps dvd map slot below. the map dvd slot will not play dvd movies. you would need seperate dvd movie player.
    q2 the 2007 lexus and 2004 and 2005 pruis map dvds are the same as 2007 sienna xle which all use denso gps computer . . the 2006 and 3007 prius uses an eisen computer and use a differen incompatible ,ap with denso units.
    q3 the usa maps will not work in china. i dont know the availablity of chinese dvd maps sorry.
    the usa dealers say thae cannot change the regional code of factory dvd players. it isnt the same file system as dvd movie players so a progrean to switch regional code probably wont work on a factory gps player.
    be sure to buy the right 6.1 disc. there are now 6 different 6.1 discs out. the 4th genraqtion upgrade has id number U21 arounf 2 oclock on the dvd label. and the part number on the label is 86271-33046.
  • siennaswedensiennasweden Member Posts: 7
    Hi!
    I alsoe have a 2007 sienna in sweden,and wounder of what cind of Lexus you ment,there seemes to be different betwen the Lexus cars.
    I asume that some of them have the denso nav but who?
    No, the supplier for europe is completely different. denso only supplies north america.
  • caravan2caravan2 Member Posts: 198
    Hello,

I think that factory installed systems are DVD driven and don't have flash or hard drive to store data, correct? Are updated CDs with new maps are available every year as is with other GPS systems? I bet those CDs are expensive as well.

I don't understand why those are so expensive. Has anyone tried to install some other systems available by Garmin or others? I would like to permanently install the GPS.

Thanks,
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, Subaru's pair of DVDs for the update cost over $200. :surprise: