Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    We've got a lot of new folks, and some of them are still in the "thinking" stages, like Mike (embeeduece).

I have the story of what I went through in getting my Thelma Jane in her web page. Take a look, if you are interested. I bought her two and a half years ago, so prices may have changed, but the techniques I used should still be good.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/thelma.html
    If you couldn't get to page two of Thelma Jane's web page, try again. I had not switched the link from my old AOL account to my new Earthlink account. I have it fixed now.

Tom

• wiscofanwiscofan Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know any retailers that might sell the 'TopFive' Rack and Safari Baskets. Or are they only available online? I'm in the Portland, OR area. Thanks much!
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    I'm not totally sure on the rack and basket, but Woody's 4x4 over in Vancouver has just about everything you'd want for a Jeep (or they can get it). I've also picked up a few things from Central 4 Wheel Drive in Delta Park. There's a few other good shops in town, but I don't have any experience with them. BTW, Harbor Freight and Tool in North Portland has a cargo basket that plugs into the trailer hitch receiver, it's rated for 500 lbs (not that you'd want to put that much on the back of your Jeep) and it's only $50.

Also, welcome to the board! There's lot of good info in here if you can search through to find it. You might check out the Jeep photo gallery to see some of the cool spots your Jeep can take you to right in your backyard.

-Pete
    Saw your latest pics, and, as usual, they are beauties. Just keep it up, and you're gonna have some company! I would LOVE to get out there in those gorgeous areas that you explore.

Nice camera work, Old Pedro!

Tom

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    We were talking about the pics I posted in the Jeep Owners: Photo Gallery here on Edmunds.com:
    01r1 "Jeep Owners: Photo Gallery" Jul 28, 2003 4:45pm

-Pete
  • plasmid1plasmid1 Member Posts: 11
    where do u live? i am actually looking for a tomb raider edition but couldn't find any around where i live (CT). i was told that all of them were sold out. i would really appreciate it if u could let me know what dealer u went that has them in stock.

thanks a lot.

Lance
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Really fantastic pictures; keep 'em coming! You may have covered this before, but I can't remember... Could you post some info about the photo gear you use? Also, if these are scans of prints, I'd love to get info on your scanner as well. All your shots posted are first rate!

Thanks,

-twylie
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Thanks for the info, Tom. Once I settle on my Jeep, all I'll need to do is find a 2000 Grand Prix GT to trade. I don't think my '85 Prelude is going to fetch much. ;)

BTW, great pics.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I have the problem of my seat belt hanging over and getting caught in the door latch. Took mine in and they replaced it as a warranty fix. It did not fix the problem. The new one is as bad as the old one. The problem is the slide (the male part of the buckle) on the belt lets the belt turn up on the edge. This keeps the slide from moving freely on the belt. When the belt tries to retract, the slide hits the support the belt is passing thru at the top. This stops it with slack in the belt that hangs over the latch.

The belt that was replaced had enough damage to make me think it had been weakened.

I try to keep an eye on this new one, but I have closed the door on it a couple of times. Should the driver have to check the belt each time before closing the door?

Do you think we should report this as a safety problem?

Terry

ps - Tom, I know, if I had the doors off I would not have this problem.

T.
    I could not find the post suggesting turning the inside rear view mirror over 180 degrees to place it higher in the windshield. Whoever it was, thanks. In all my cars, I have always kept the mirror as high as I could get it to keep it from creating a blind spot to the right front. The TJ mirror just didn't go as high as I would like. Don't know why I did not think of it. Thanks for the tip.

Terry
    I don't know if there is a fix for the seat belt getting caught in the door latch or not. I think everyone with a TJ has the same problem.

I just try to remember to check it before closing the door, but I do forget sometimes. I have closed the door on mine a few times, and I guess I ought to take a look to see how much I have damaged the belt, if any.

I wonder if just a visual inspection is enough to determine if there has been enough damage to weaken the belt???

Tom

• geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    I guess closing the door on the seat belt is just one of those Jeep things. Here I thought I was the only one. I have a '91 and I've shut the door on it enough times it is definitely damaged. I probably should get a new one and start the process all over. Sometimes a passenger does it and I'm not paying enough attention so they really give it heck trying to shut the door.

But more embarrassing, hasn't anyone been brought to a standstill getting out when your belt loop hangs up on it? If I had a lift I might be left dangling in the air.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    LOL! I haven't had a problem with getting out - just with closing the door. It's become second nature to check it, but I occasionally forget and get surprised when the door springs back at me. Usually when I'm either in a hurry or when my hands are full! I guess they still haven't fixed this problem...
  • nota4renota4re Member Posts: 54
    My dealer in Thousand Oaks, CA had 6 Tom Raider editions in stock. I read where 80% + of Tomb Raiders came to California. There are definitely a lot around at the dealerships.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The 10 cars that cost the least to insure (MSN Money)

Yep, the Wrangler is on yet another Top Ten list.

Steve, Host
    twylie-

Thanks. I mostly shoot digital now, 99.9% of the time. I've been using two cameras, my first digital one is the Sony DCS-F707, which Sony has now replaced with the DSC-F717. It's a great high-end consumer camera that has top notch optics, 5.24 Mpixels, will also shoot video, uses memory sticks and has more bells and whistles than any of it's competitors. I would recommend the F707/F717 to anyone looking for a high-end digital camera. It's not as small as some of the high-end Canon point and shoots, but you'll find much better optics on the Sony.

I'm now using a Canon EOS-10D, it's a digital single lens reflex camera or D-SLR. It uses removable lenses and supports all Canon's AF lenses. It's a great work horse with it's magnesium body and very high build quality. About 6.3 Mpixels and enough adjustments/settings to make your head spin. It's not always as fun (or easy) as the Sony, but if set up just right, will produce a higher resolution image with fewer thermal noise artifacts than the Sony. I can't recommend this camera to anyone who enjoys casual point and shoot style cameras, this one's just too much work for most. Out of the box, in auto mode, the Sony will out perform the Canon.

For all my older 35mm negatives (occasionally a new one here or there) I use a Nikon Coolscan III negative scanner. A nice little scanner that does negative strips, APS, single and bulk slide scanning.

For printing I use an Espon 1280 larger format printer with external ink resevoirs. With the right paper, truely photo quality. The 13"x19" prints come out great!

If you want to see more of my photos, visit:
    http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=287893
    If you have time, please rate some pictures. I have to mention that this web page is one of the best of it's kind. A great resource for any photo enthusist.

Not to be to far off topic, but having a Jeep Wrangler to get to some of these great picture places just makes it that much more fun! Don't know which I like more, seeing the views and taking pictures or the drive up there :)

-Pete
    Interesting article about the Wrangler being pretty inexpensive to insure. When I bought mine back in '98 I had heard it was the most stolen vehicle, so I figured it would be expensive to insure. Guess either that has changed, or else the insurance companies have taken into account what a tough vehicle it really is.

I also have a Sony F717 and love it. It has enough bells and whistles to keep any amateur photographer happy but it also has an auto mode for those who want true point and shoot. Great photos, but is bulky compared to many less capable cameras. It is still lighter and smaller than carrying around a 35mm with several lenses! And yes, a digital camera can only take lovely pictures if you have a vehicle capable of getting you there. The Wrangler sure does that!
    Pete

I went to the site.

I'm speechless.

Terry
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Great information. Thanks for taking the time to detail your photography setup. Having no idea what you do, I'll say there is definitely a second career (if it's not already your first) doing photography. Your pictures are really outstanding.

-twylie
    Just wish my pictures with the same camera were as good as Pete's!
    A Wrangler is great for trails because it's nice and compact. I got a great deal recently on a S200 Canon ELPH but took it back because it was too small. Us older guys need bigger lcds, bigger menu text on the lcds, and controls that are nice and easy to manipulate.

Nice pics Pete - a few more like that and maybe that'll get Tom driving Thelma Jane out West.

Steve, Host
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    Wrangler:

The off-road vehicle will be redesigned for the 2007 model. The Wrangler, the only Jeep that is body-on-frame, likely will remain on its own platform.

Scrambler:

The Scrambler, a pickup derivative of the Jeep Wrangler, will bow in 2004 as a 2005 model. Jeep is aiming at the youth market with the Scrambler, a Wrangler based SUV that seats two and has a four-foot pickup bed.

Initially developed for military use, the Scrambler concept sits on a stretched Wrangler wheelbase. That allows the addition of a 4-foot pickup bed behind a two-passenger compartment.

Four- and six-cylinder engines will be available.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Wow, I had about 300 messages to catch up on!!!!

mtngal, sorry about your loss. I know how it is when you lose a true friend. I had one. He really loved me, and I loved him. His name was Jingles. He was an 10 year old Cocker Spaniel. Unlike your friend, he was stolen from my backyard. I still miss him. No dog will replace him.

Pete, WONDERFUL pictures as usual. Have you thought about quitting your day job? :-D

Tom, do you ever stop helping people? When are you going to be in the Member Spotlight? You deserve it!!!

James, where did that info come from?
    Here's a quickie: is there a legal problem with driving around sans doors (specifically California)? When the doors are off, what do you do with the mirrors? Thought I heard there was an aftermarket adapter to keep the mirrors on.

Thanks,
    Mike
    I don't think it is illegal anywhere to ride with no doors, but there are mirror laws that vary from state to state.

Yeah, there are various after market mirror relocator brackets, and some supposedly work much better than others. I can't help ya in selecting any particular type, since we don't have a side mirror law in Ky, and I haven't had to worry about it.

Tom

I don't see Thelma Jane on top of this list:

Most Popular Car Name

Your entry must have got lost in the mail.

Steve, Host
  • jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    Old Red turn over 140K last week. He still not using any oil, but loves gas.
    have a great day Walt
    Wow! And I thought I was high with my 115K. Good to hear that I've got a long, long way to go. Do you suppose there is any way to convince our old timers that they really don't need all that much gas? Maybe try to convince them to go a bit further with a little less? I know, wishful thinking...
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I have seen a few on JCWhitney's web site. I'm not considering them right now as I don't want my 17 year old daughter driving w/o doors. :) Half doors are low enough that it really isn't an issue for her yet.

The adapters I've seen mount to the windshield brackets. If you go to the site, select the Wrangler area, then choose mirrors. You'll have quite a few to look at.

-Paul
    Thanks everyone for positive comments!

BTW, photography for me started as just a hobby, but is slowly progressing from there. I sell an occasional picture or group of pictures. I love taking the pictures, but am not really into marketing side of the business. I'll set up a web page eventually and see what happens.

In the mean time, I'll be driving around in my Jeep taking pictures building a good stockpile of images. Nothing I'd rather do more!

-Pete
  • misspishmisspish Member Posts: 5
    Hi, fellow Jeep enthusiasts. I have enjoyed reading the posts, and have found some excellent advice...thank you. I am hoping to order a 2004 Wrangler in the near future....my local dealers were unable to locate an '03 with the options I desire. One dealer was able to fax me the 2004 prices for my Sport. Looks like MSRP went from $21,045 to $21,320. And, if his print out is correct, the Dana 44 rear axle is no longer included in the 30" tire/wheel group, so carries an additional MSRP of $310. The side steps also went up from MSRP of $75 to $150. The rest of my desired options (CD, 7 speakers, tinted windows, Sentry key, Auto dim mirror, Trac-Lok, a/c) did not have a model yr. price increase. On the upside, they now throw in front mats at no additional cost (they were $30 in '03). My question is regarding the extended warranty. From reading the posts, it may be a good idea....and I am a warranty type girl anyway. How do I shop for the best price?

Thanks for the sage advice!
    Michele
  • bmg132bmg132 Member Posts: 28
    Hi all, I ordered my 1st Wrangler on June 6th and have been counting down the days until it arrives. I ordered an '04 Sport. I did all the research back in 2000, but just couldn't quite afford to do it right & had to wait out a 3 year Saturn lease...

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for an order to come in, when ordered before/at the very begining of the model year? My dealership (whom based on all accounts is very reputable) has been vauge to say the least. I am approaching the end of the 6-8 week window I was told.

Also, if anyone has experience w/ordering Mopar items is there a timeframe of when their '04 accessories are available? I was told I am not allowed to get seat covers or slush mats yet.

Not certain if anyone else pointed it out or not (there were so many messages to try and review), but another addition to the Sport package is that the in-dash CD is now standard.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Basically, you bargain for it in the same way that you bargain for the best price on the vehicle itself. To the dealer, the extended warranty is just an item to be sold, like the side steps or undersealing.

One effective method is to base your negotiations on an 'out the door' price. "I want to buy a Wrangler with these options and an extended warranty for $XX,XXX, to include tax tag and title, 'out the door'". Of course you have to do your research and be realistic, but it avoids all the add ons like 'documentation fees' and 'advertising fees' that seem to get tagged on after you think you've agreed a price.
    Okay,thanks, I'll do some research. We have already agreed on the vehicle price as $100 over invoice. My final decision will be made as soon as the '04 incentives are disclosed. I am hoping the $1000 plus $500 for military will be carried over to the new model year. My husband thinks I am having a mid-life crisis! I disagree, and suggested that a Wrangler immunization would be just the thing to ward off such a condition! Oh, and thanks, bmg132- I was not aware that the CD is now standard.
    Neither was I, but that is what the copy of my order says.
    Sounds like you and I are in the market for similar Sport Jeeps. 30" group, trac-lok, a/c, mirror, sentry key, 7 speakers, etc. My L.A. dealer did a 200 mile search and came up empty. So I'm looking at the 04s as well. Bad news about the heavy duty axle. But free floor mats MORE than make up for it. Also, good news from BMG132 that the in-dash CD is standard.

Did you get any info about 04 colors? How about the new wheels mentioned previously in this group (Canyon replaced by Ravine)? Thanks.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Maybe.......but I bet he'll be wanting to drive it when it arrives!

:-)
    No, I have not seen the Ravine wheels.....I really liked the Canyon, though! And, since I want white, I didn't ask about other '04 colors. Yeah, the mats and CD help a little to offset the Dana's additional cost.
    Wait till he sees the Jeep tatoo to match my new Wrangler! :-) Just kidding!(sorta)
    Well, shoot. I think tatoo should be tattoo. I guess I have no business getting one if I can't even spell it correctly! :-p
    Is the switch to the Ravine Wheels a recent development?

When I placed my order I was advised the Canyons were still in the 30in t&w gp (I specificly asked). I was also told about the Dana being additional, you have to upgrade to 4 wheel disc brakes to get the trac-lok (apparently you could do it w/drums before?) and the CD (I had planned on getting as option) all at the same time.

How could they not mention the change in wheels???

I have not seen them yet either. Hopefully they still have that same soft/subtle look the Canyons do, the last thing I want is shinny chrome.

I did not get too involved w/colors, I was going with the Bright Silver that was new in '03. I was advised that color did not change, and that was enough for me.
    Like I told you guys, it is very difficiult to get complete and accurate info on options from the salesmen at DC dealers.

I will place a call to my salesman, who is a big time exception to the rule, since he knows his Jeeps. I'll ask him about some of the things that have come up in the last several posts.

I called a little while ago and found that he was at lunch, so I will try again in about 45 minutes. Stay tuned.

Tom

I took the same approach and just got off the phone w/my salesman (South Jersey area by the way), because I was really starting to wig out over these wheels.

While he "had not heard anything" regarding a change from Canyons, he said he will have an answer tomorrow after 11. He reassured me that the copy of my order states Canyon Wheels (my copy is at home).

He was able to give me a VIN and advised my Wrangler was expected to ship by 7/25, putting it at my dealership by the end of next week.

YAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOOO!
    My salesman is almost as much in the dark as we are, and it is because DC is so slow in coming out with the info that their dealers need.

David, my salesman, says that the "AAS" package shows the "Ravine" wheel for the 04's instead of the Canyon wheel. The AAS package gets you the 30" tires, gas shocks, Dana 44 rear end, and the Ravine wheels (15 x 8 inch, same size as the Canyon wheels). When I got my Thelma Jane, I got the AAS package, and it was the same stuff, but with the Canyon wheels.

David did not have a picture of the Ravine wheels, and he does not have a clue as to what they look like. He said it could even be the same wheel as the Canyons, just given a new name.

Oh well, I tried.

Tom

• tjraytjray Member Posts: 38
    I highly recommend the doors off mirror brackets on jeepit.com. I got some a few weeks ago and they work great. They are simple and inexpensive and it really is safer to have side mirrors if you drive in traffic. Just a little Jeep tip-Tjray
    Congrats on the Jeep order, and it sounds like you are coming down the home stretch on delivery.

Hope you get it soon.

Post some pics of that baby for us, and be sure to get out of that Jeep long enough to post your initial impressions of it.

Tom

I use an Olympus D-550 Zoom, 3.0 Megapixel. It's my first ever digi camera, and I love it! I had been wanting one for a long time, and I finally took the plunge back in November.

I have a question for ya, about the red eye reduction setting for my flash. How come it doesn't work? :)

I have been shooting some pics of my new granddaughter, and I have been setting the flash for red eye reduction. I get the pre-flash, but the pics still have red eye. What's up with that?

I hate to get off topic, but your email addy ain't public, and I don't know how to contact you other than posting here.

Email me, if you don't mind, and then I will have your email addy. tsjay49@earthlink.net

Tom