Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Sounds like those of us in the ordering stage are all looking at similar Jeeps. We should have gotten together and had some lucky salesperson give us a bulk rate.

-Mike
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    You would think the best place to go for up to date info would be the DC website, but they are stil showing the info for the 03's.

I have noticed that they stay way behind ever since I first got interested in Jeeps three years ago.

I realize that there are still 03's being sold, so they need to keep that info available, but why couldn't they also show the 04 info?

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • bmg132bmg132 Member Posts: 28
    They did post the new incentive rates (went up) for the '04s but no specs and you still can only build '03s online...

FYI:

1.9/2.9/3.9 APR for 36/48/60 month loans, good through 9/2.
    That APR info I posted is for purchases, I didn't take note of the rates for leasing.
  • dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    Hi Gang,
     I am going to install my new "Durango4x4" rear bumper and tire carrier this weekend. Does anyone know about how long this takes? Any tips on making the install go easier?
    Thanks,
    dewars
    My salesperson called me back.

Ravines are in fact on my Wrangler, not Canyons, despite what my original order form stated. Good news is that they apparently look very similar to the Canyon both in material & design. Bad news is that I still have not gotten to see what they look like.

He is sending me a picture, to check them out. Unfortunately he did not have a .gif or .jpg for me to attach.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I have found some of the best pics while driving offroad can be some of the hardest to get. :) But that makes it fun. :)

I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 (5.24 megapixel, 8x optical, 4x digital zoom, 256 MB memory). It has the rugged frame for handling the offroad hiking and geocaching I do. When the going gets really wet or dusty, I seal it in a ziplock.

-Paul
    Not only are the 03s still on the jeep.com site, but many of the images, like the virtual tour, use the '02 Wrangler.

-Mike
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    Wrangler Gang –

I forgot to mention the other day when I posted the below information that it was from last weeks Automotive News (to which I started subscribing). Basically, they had a huge set of articles that laid out Chrysler’s entire product plan through the 2008 MY. I have paraphrased the information to keep it short and not get in any troubles with Auto News.

What I was really glad to see was that they are committed to the Wrangler/Scrambler on its own platform and that we will still have our current Wrangler architecture through the 2007 MY.

Hopefully, when 2007 comes they will not mess-up the Wrangler. I was worried that they would replace the Wrangler sooner and base it off of the up coming Jeep GC which will be based on the new Benz M class.

I had been keeping my fingers crossed.

Wrangler Info:

The off-road vehicle will be redesigned for the 2007 model. The Wrangler, the only Jeep that is body-on-frame, likely will remain on its own platform.

Scrambler Info:

The Scrambler, a pickup derivative of the Jeep Wrangler, will bow in 2004 as a 2005 model. Jeep is aiming at the youth market with the Scrambler, a Wrangler based SUV that seats two and has a four-foot pickup bed.

Initially developed for military use, the Scrambler concept sits on a stretched Wrangler wheelbase. That allows the addition of a 4-foot pickup bed behind a two-passenger compartment.
    Four- and six-cylinder engines will be available.

I am still waiting to see the new Scrambler so that I can decide whether to replace our old Wrangler with a new Scrambler or a Rubicon? I just hope that they offer a Scrambler with two seats, a full-length soft top and half doors. Oh, I would also like to see them offer the Rubicon gear on the Scrambler but that is most likely asking for too much.

Jim
    Over 24 hours and no new posts!

Had a wonderful day at Turkey Bay today! Great wheelin'!.

http://itsajeep.org/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?cat=3052&ppuser- =3

That's a link to today's pics.

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    OK, I'll play. Here's a post. Unfortunately, I'm in Las Vegas and my Wrangler is in California. No following some dirt road out in the desert to escape traffic this trip (sigh).
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    How could you guys get those Jeeps SOOO dirty..
    u guys play to rough for me..
      I couldnt take it.. I would be right there washing them as I go.
      I Know, I know I am in the minority on this issue.

Keep Jeepin anyway
      BamaTazz
    Dirt comes off! :)

What yer gonna have to do is buy an old beater Jeep that you can bring up here and take on the trails with me, I guess. Wheelin' is SO much fun!!! You're really missing out, Terry.

Tom

• bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    2004 FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS

CHASSIS

• New Ravine wheel
    • Right-hand-drive model available for U.S. retail market

BODY

• New exterior color: Electric Lime Green and Solar Yellow
    • New 30-inch spare tire cover with Sahara logo
    • Optional locking fuel cap

INTERIOR

• CD player now standard on X, Sport, Sahara and Rubicon
    • Tilt steering standard on all models

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/03august/jeep_2004- _wrangler.asp
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    These look like Canyons to me. Am I blind?

Hug your Jeeps for me. :)
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Hey Tom, looked at your Turkey Bay pictures, looks like FUN!!! What's with the top and doors being on already? Are you guys having a cool spell?

Keep those pics coming!

-Pete
    I was helping a friend move the other day, when he drove a large 25+ ft Penske moving truck up a steep driveway and got it stuck while trying to back it out. He piled the rear bumper and hitch into the pavement when he tried backing down and had all four rear tires about a 1/2" off the ground!

So, there we were with a big truck that could probably hold 3 Wranglers inside stuck on a steep slope. He was going to call one of those big tow truck/wreckers to come help, but it was doubtful he could have made it into a position to help. We tried putting stuff under the tires, but just couldn't get any traction.

As a last resort, I thought I could try pulling the truck up the hill with my Wrangler. Everyone kind of laughed at the idea, this truck was big and loaded. I hooked up the tow strap, used 1st gear low range and pulled the whole mess up the hill! He was then able to turn around and drive out forward and 'skid' out the driveway.

Sometimes these little Jeeps will surprise you with their abilities. Mine certainly did!

-Pete
    I had the top and doors back on Thelma Jane for my trip to Hot Springs about three weeks ago. It was a little over an eight hour drive each way, and there's no way either Ross Allen or I could have handled the heat and wind that long.

I just haven't gotten around to taking them back off, and it's a good thing I hadn't this past Saturday: we had a tremendous downpour at Turkey Bay while we were wheelin'.

That air conditioning feels awful good, I have to admit. Poor old Ross Allen doesn't seem to be able to handle the heat this summer as well as he did last year either, so maybe I ought to leave the top and doors on until the hottest part of the summer is over. Sure is nice wheelin' topless and doorless, though. Tough choice. :(

I can use my safari top, but it helps only when the sun is directly overhead.

Tom

Hey, congrats on the Penske rescue! Did it seem like the engine of your Jeep was in much of a strain as you pulled that truck up the hill? Did you have any trouble with traction, or was the driveway paved?

Tom

• bfoxvtbfoxvt Member Posts: 5
    hi! i just purchased an 03 X with the freedom package. after a month of 'fighting' with my wife over a VW convertable bug and a wrangler we went with the jeep (after a couple of different test drives). so far my wife is very pleased with the choice we made, as am i.

we went with the freedom because there was a firm 'air conditioning' requirement (don't ask!!), and the freedom package had the AC, and was the least expensive. however there was only a single freedom around, and it came with a hard top.

Thus my question is what people think of the sun bonnet/tonneau? we are considering purchasing it in case it decides to rain (heck we live in seattle :) ), and we would like to have the hard top 'in storage' until winter arrives.

how difficult is it to install?

thanks for any help, from a happy new owner!

barry
    I'd be willing to bet that attaching the soft tops will be easier than removing the hard top by yourself. :)

Installing a soft top is not a big deal, but it does take some time the first few times you do it. It would be highly worth it. :)

If you order one, check out online web suppliers. You can get a bestop soft top (like the sailcloth multilayer) for a better rate that from the dealer.

-Paul
    It was no problem for the engine at all. It was dry blacktop pavement, so I had lots of traction. Just wish I had my camera with me, it looked pretty funny, or cool, depending on your perspective.

-Pete

p.s. I'd keep the top on too with that hot weather and poor old Ross Allen - you've at least got A/C! Every time it gets over 100F I kind of start wishing for A/C in mine....
  • geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    Hey Barry,

I installed a Bestop on my '91 Wrangler. It wasn't difficult but involved drilling some holes in the windshield frame and some more in the lip around the rear tub.

If you go to the Bestop web site they have on-line instructions on installing their tops. Your later year model could be different from mine. Sailcloth wasn't available for my year, from what I've heard though that's the way to go.

One word of caution, those things don't go up and down without a bit of a fight. And when it's down you have two side windows and a rear window to figure out storage for.

But it's a gas going topless. I live in Seattle too, you've missed some great weather for that type of thing. I headed up to Mt Rainier last weekend, ain't nothing better.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Congrats on the new Wrangler. I live in Seattle too (In the Greenwood/Ballard area). I'll keep my eyes peeled for a Freedom edition Wrangler w/temp tags. :-)

Stephen
    Welcome to the family, and congrats!

How about some pics of that new Jeep?

Hope you will stick with us and be a frequent poster.

Tom

i have a single picture of the jeep at:

http://www.users.qwest.net/~fbarry1

i will likely take some more this week when i get a few more minutes.
    She's a beauty! You're gonna get her dirty, though, I hope? You DO plan on offroading, don't ya? :)

Don't waste as much time as I did before discovering the joys of " wheelin'. " It took me 14 months after getting Thelma Jane before I could get up the nerve to take her offroad. Man, when I did.... WOW! What a blast!

Tom

The 04 Freedom pic reminds me of a question. I've always liked the black fenders, as opposed to the color fenders which until now had been on the Sahara. Does anyone know if the 04 Jeeps will have color fenders standard.

Just my preference, but I hope they don't.

-Mike
    Geez, like the change in wheels didn't stress me out enough the other day!

I think my dealer is pretty tired of hearing from me the past few days. Everytime I start a call with: "I saw on Edmunds..." he lets out this sigh.

My dealer said he did not believe the fenders were supposed to change (at least on the Sport), this was a short-term feature on the Freedom model alone.

Whew, I really like the black fenders too.

Although, this is the same guy that told me it would have Canyon wheels...
    Quick opinion check:

I kept (& keep) reminding my dealer that I do not want any dealer decals/advertisements on my Wrangler when it comes in. He keeps telling me that they are no problem to remove even if they manage to get on there. I have no clue if this is accurate or not, having never attempted to remove them before.

My theory is that if I remove the decals & screw up the paint somehow, I'm S.O.L. Plus, they were told well in advance to not put them on there.

Am I being out of line or way too anal if I tell them to fix it to the way I ordered it before I take possession?

I waited too long not to have this Jeep turn out exactly as I have always wanted it. Right?
    You're not out of line, I would/did/do the same thing. No dealer decals and no license plate frames - no free advertisement here. Now I might feel differently if I found a truly great dealership, but that hasn't even come close to happening yet.

Depending on how long those decals have been on, they can be difficult to remove, so that's a good idea to CYOB and have them do it.

-Pete
    i do not like dealer markings at all. on my jeep i have the license plate thingy and a tire cover with the dealership name. the license plate thingy will be in the garbage as soon as my plates show up.

the tire cover may be gone, i am undecided on it (at least i did not pay for the cover :) )

i do not have any other decals or anything, which is nice.
    I have one of those on Thelma Jane. I didn't make a request for them to leave it off, but if I had done so, I would have fully expected them to comply. None of this "You can take it off" stuff!

I have a great dealer (Stacy Chrysler in Owensboro, Ky), and I don't mind at all giving them a plug by leaving their decal on my Jeep. Just wish the thing was black instead of red... everything else on Thelma Jane is either black or white.

Tom

I'm with you all in disliking dealer ads on vehicles/jeeps. (Jeeps are not billboards!) Having said that, as I prepare to buy my Jeep, those plate frames and tire covers have helped me in my search.

When I see a Jeep with features/colors I like, I take note of where it was purchased. And if I see one dealer's name a lot, I figure they must have a pretty good inventory. So, in at least this regard, they've helped.

P.S. Thanks for the fender info!

-Mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's archived, but there are some good tips about removing decals in:

Badge/emblem removal techniques

Steve, Host
    Personally, I like the smiley face that hasn't shaved and the red, white, blue bandana. :)

Only logo... JEEP. :)

-Paul
  • tjraytjray Member Posts: 38
    Way back in '01, I ordered my Jeep, and I happened to see the truck deliver it. It was on a saturday, and I was told it might be a day or 2 before it would be ready. After I set them straight, they had a tech check it over, then I drove her home with plastic still on the seats! I enjoyed spending some time washing and detailing my new baby! Still love it-Tjray
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Welcome to the board..
       I LOVE that red jeep.. I really like the read fnder flares are well..
       DONT let these guys talk you into getting that jeep dirty. Keep him CLEAN as long as u can.

Again.. Welcome to the board.
    Keep posting

BAMATAZZ
    Thanks, its good to know its not just me.

I told them I had no problem w/the plate braket, wheel cover or anything that's not permanent. They will all come off immediately after the initial drive home anyway.

Not intending to rip on my dealership, the decal thing has been the only negative in an otherwise very exciting event for me.

Not only is this my 1st Jeep but its my first new car that is going to be mine (leased last car, doesn't count).

I would whole heartedly refer anyone to Lenihan Jeep in Marlton, NJ.
    By the way BFOXVT, I was also on the fence about the tire cover until my buddy (a CJ owner) advised me that tire covers breed moisture. If you don't plan on regularly airing out the spare tire, leave the cover off. Plus, they look cooler w/out it.
    Thanks for that archived link, some real good tips on getting them off should I need to.

The one thing the dealer probably suspects is that I'm not really interested in waiting 6-8 more weeks for another one to arrive...
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    Pete,

I have been away for a few days so I just got to read your post on your Wrangler towing the Penske truck. I admit that I had to read your post three times to make sure I had truly got it.

Man, I would have never guessed it would have been so easy. If a friend had happened by your feat and told me the story 2nd-hand I would not have believed it!

Man - you and your little Jeep rule!

Jim
    Is it wrong that my Jeep dealer drives a RAV-4?

-Mike
    None of us thought it would work and didn't even bother getting the camera out. If we weren't blocking traffic we may have got is stuck again just to get it on video tape! When you've got lots of traction on warm dry blacktop, low gear and a 25000# tow strap, that stretchs just enough to get the clutch out, look out(!) that's some pulling power.

-Pete
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I know this is short notice. I just saw that The History Channel has history of tanks/jeeps tonight. 7:00 to 9:00 PM central time tonight.

Terry
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    This happened as the Rubicon was coming out: I had test driven a Liberty (was thinking of it as a possible replacement for the Tacoma) and then asked if they had any Rubicons on the lot (overkill for me, but I can dream, can't I?). He took me over to a Renegade and proudly announced that he had one. When I said I was asking about the Rubicon, he looked at me very blankly and then said I had the name wrong.

I left quickly (and still own that hated Taco!).
  • 2003wrangler2003wrangler Member Posts: 24
    Finally found some pics of the new Ravine wheels.

Personally, I like the Canyons better, but maybe these will grow on me.......
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Is it wrong that my Jeep dealer drives a RAV-4?

It's at least a serious mistake! :-)

tidester, host
    Woo-Hoo! I was worried I wouldn't like the Ravine rims, but those look really cool. They seem less concave than the Canyons.

-Mike
    Thanks for the pics of the Ravines. I was really curious as to what they would look like.

Well, like you, at this point I can say that I like the Canyons better, but the Ravines look pretty good too.

Tom