Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• clarence28713clarence28713 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks 210delray and mcdawgg for the clarification.

I also want to mention something that happened to me. I travel a lot for my job and one time I rented a 2007 Chevrolet Impala with flex fuel. Nice car...until it died on me on a deserted stretch of highway in New Mexico and the nearest town over 50 miles away!
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    You're welcome.

Interesting on the Impala because we have a troll in the 2007 Camry "problems and repairs" board bragging about how wonderful the Impala is!

Do you know what was wrong with the car? I assume you were able to phone the rental company for help.
    Unfortunately I never called back to the rental company in Albuquerque to find out what went wrong with the Impala. Prior to dying the tire pressure warning light came on and about 20 miles later it shut completely down, there was a message saying it was shutting down but I was too busy trying to get it off the road so I wouldn't get run over by a passing 18 wheeler doing 90 MPH! After a few minutes I was able to restart the car but it would only go 5 MPH for about 2-3 minutes before dying again, and with the tire pressure warning light on. I was sure glad to see the rental company guys though, I finally made it back to ABQ around 3 AM but missed my flight to Atlanta so I had to spend an extra night in ABQ.

When it happened I was able to phone the rental company when the car died, just barely though; I had one bar on my signal strength!

It was around 8 PM when this happened on NM 550 between Cuba, NM and Albuquerque, NM. The rental company sent two cars out that night and gave one to me(Hyundai Elantra)to take back to Albuquerque and the two guys had to babysit the dead Impala until a wrecker truck could be found. It was a good idea for them to bring another car because it was cold that night. I left them on that dark lonely highway hours later glad to be in a Hyundai and not a Chevy Impala!!
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    Okay. If that it true than I appologize for my previous post.

I was told differently. I just checked Toyota's website and it says for the 2003 Camry that the timing belt should be replaced at 90,000 miles.

I was told the 2007 I-4 is the first 4-cylinder engine with the timing chain......and that prior V-6's had the timing chain, but not the V-4's.
    Clarence,

Read my previous post about your timing belt. The Toyota website says to replace it around 90,000 miles.

Another poster said you have a timing chain....I am not sure if that is correct. Your dealer can't lie to you about a timing belt or chain....they are two completely different things.
    This is getting silly. I have both a 2004 and a 2005 Camry, with 4-cylinder engines. Both have timing chains. This 2.4-liter 4-cylinder was introduced with the 2002 models, replacing the former 2.2-liter 4 with the timing belt (I had one of those too).

The Toyota maintenance website makes no distinction between the 4-cyl. and the V6? Dealers? Well, the salesmen aren't necessarily going to know, but certainly the service manager should!
    Well, then the Toyota website is incorrect. When I input a 2003 Toyota Camry is says to change the timing belt at 90,000 miles......the website must be wrong. Like I said, a dealership would be able to tell you.
    Thanks to all.

I do appreciate the help and I'll call the service manager and see what that person says.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Please come back and let us know!!
  • kutrakutra Member Posts: 8
    Hi:

I got the "Malfunction Indicator Light" (aka the Check Engine Light, I believe) on my 2000 Toyota Camry V6. So I took it to Autozone and the instrument showed 2 error codes. Both the error codes were the same:P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1).

1. Are the error codes absolutely accurate in pinpointing the problem?
    2. Do the 2 error codes mean I have to change TWO oxygen sensors?
    3. If I buy the Bosch OEM part myself, how much would a mechanic typically charge to replace ONE or TWO O2 sensors?
    4. Anything I should be aware of when I talk to a mechanic?
    5. How serious is this problem? That is, how long can I continue to drive till I get it fixed?

Thanks,
    K
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    1. Are the error codes absolutely accurate in pinpointing the problem?
    2. Do the 2 error codes mean I have to change TWO oxygen sensors?
    3. If I buy the Bosch OEM part myself, how much would a mechanic typically charge to replace ONE or TWO O2 sensors?
    4. Anything I should be aware of when I talk to a mechanic?
    5. How serious is this problem? That is, how long can I continue to drive till I get it fixed?

Thanks,

1,) "absolutely" accurate ... of course not. Reasonably good, yes

2.) no, you have 1 sensor (the first sensor on bank 1), which the system is indicating is "probably" bad.

3.) don't know as I do maintenance myself, but I would think maybe an hour of shoptime.

4.) well if you are going to pay a shop to do the work, it is usually best if you allow them to buy the part and charge you for it. Otherwise they could claim that the part was defective, not of high quality, not the right part, not even needed, yada yada yada.

5.) The engine computer uses all of the sensors, to adjust fuel mixture and timings of sparkplug firing. WIth a bad O2 sensor, the engine doesn't know exactly how much fuel to put into the cylinders, because it's not getting a good reading coming out of the cylinders and can't tell how well the mixture is burning. You run the risk of damaging your catalytic converter by dumping excess fuel into it, or burning engine valves if too lean. You don't need to drop everything to immediately fix it, but I wouldn't be driving it around for weeks or a lot of mileage.

In your case it is the 'heater circuit' of the sensor. This circuit is used to heat up the O2 sensor when you initially start the car, before there is enough heat from the exhaust gases. If the sensor doesn't come up to temperature fast enough, it throws off that error code. So I suspect you have minimal risk once your vehicle is warmed up, but I'd get it fixed when reasonably do-able.

Good luck
    Okay guys,

I called the Toyota dealer in Asheville and the service manager confirmed that my 2003 Camry 4 cylinder has a timing chain and she confirmed that the website was incorrect. I must say I'm a little surprised that the website is incorrect but then again Toyota has lots of cars and I guess it would be next to impossible to be totally correct each and every time on every model/year on a continual basis for a website.
    Thanks for the update.
    The service manager said something that piqued my interest and so I looked at the engine ID number and it turns out that the 4 banger I have is the "2AZ-FE" engine with a timing chain and the Toyota website does state to change the timing belt on the "1MZ-FE" engine only which is the 6 cylinder engine. So, technically speaking the website is not incorrect, just a little vague.

All the more reason to own a Toy!
  • bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    The coolant the dealer sold me for both my 2002 Sienna and 2004 Camry says "Toyota Long Life Coolant". It is red.

Is this the stuff that is supposed to work for 10 years or 100,000 miles in my Camry before replacing? It also appears to not be pre-mixed, becuase it talks about mixing on the bottle, but I guess that's not a given.
    I'd check with someone knowledgeable at the dealership to make sure it's the real deal -- good for 100K miles. Also read the label carefully.

The label should clearly indicate if it's full-strength or requires dilution with water. It sounds like you have the full-strength type.
  • bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    thanks again 210delray.
  • asi12asi12 Member Posts: 46
    I have 2005 camry.

How many air filters does this camry has?

Is Cabin air filter is same as AC filter located behind the glove box?

How often do I have to clean/replace the cabin and engine air filters?

Now windshielf washer fluid and coolant fluid is at its low level. What kind of fluids should I add into that? toyota only fluids or any thing?

For coolant do I have to mix it with water in 1:1 ratio and if yes then distill water from supermarket should be ok?

What about windwasher fluid? Distill water should be fine?
  • dchen2003dchen2003 Member Posts: 34
    :confuse: I have a 03 Camry LE. One time I forgot to turn my headlights off almost drained my battery. I looked at the manual it says the headlight will cut off itself after you lock the door for 30 seconds. I tried several times like press the lock key on the remote control twice, but it never worked. Is the cut off system failed on my car or I need to program it.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advices
    Did you check where your head lights control is resting. Head light controls are on the direction control stick?

In order to head light to switch off automatically after you lock the door, head light control should be at Auto.
    The "auto" feature didn't become standard in all Camry trim lines until 2005. I think something may be wrong with his 2003. If the switch is left in the "on" position, the lights should cut out after 30 seconds once the doors are locked. I believe if you press the lock button twice, the lights will go out immediately.
    I had 2001 camry in the past and I never had to manually switch off headlights. Headlight always switched off when doors are locked. Double click lights are off instantly and one click lights are off after few seconds. Check the headlight controls there might be other option other than auto. If I remember correctly there was one option which has just " - " sign. Check this one.
  • mscheuermscheuer Member Posts: 1
    I recently took my 99 Camry to the local Tiresplus to patch my right front tire. The mechanic I've worked w/ before was fired and I had to work w/ a guy I didn't know

He called me an hour later w/ a list of things that he said they noticed as a result of their policy to check all aspects of the car. Reasonable poicy, but the mechanic stipulated that the following items should be replaced/done to the 99 Camry w/ 80K miles:

- new battery
    - transmission flush
    - fuel system tune
    - clean lube and adjust brakes

All this for $350 (plus $25 for the patch). I checked my owner's manual and didn't find any of these suggestions. Also, the previous mechanic didn't mention any of this when I brought the car in for its 75K check up. Am I being taken for a ride here?

Many thanks, Mark
    Seems like a ride to me, as he has identified generic things.

For instnace....how old is your battery (4-5 yrs?), and did they do a free battery/alternator check that autoparts stores would do to determine that you need a battery?

adjust brakes???? front brakes which do the majority of braking are disc (which self adjust). Does your parking brake hold? or does that need adjusting?
    Maybe the former mechanic was fired because he refused to sell unneeded services!

I agree with kiawah: the battery can be tested for free at most large auto parts stores like Advance or AutoZone. Fuel system tune is a just a money-maker; unless the car is not running properly, do not bother. Transmission flushes are another big money-maker; sure the transmission should be drained and refilled periodically, but not every 15-30K miles as these places would have you believe.

As for the brakes, the only adjustment needed is for the parking brakes. You can tell if you have to pull up on the center lever a long way for the brakes to hold on a hill with the gearshift in neutral. (I believe the owner's manual may give the number of "clicks" when the brake is adjusted properly).
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi mscheuer:
    I would never take my vehicle to these kinds of service operations. Just check the "net" and you will see why! I take my vehicles to the dealer. I make it a point to develop a professional relationship with one service advisor, and the service manager. They understand what I want and expect in terms of service. I have all my service done by the selling dealer. I even purchase my tires at the dealership. Should something go wrong, I am not caught between a tire store, and the car dealer. The dealer installed and balanced the tires, and they performed the alignment. It something is not right, it is their problem!!!!! In terms of oil and filter changes, it is their oil, their filter and their mechanic doing the service. If something is not done right, and the engine fails, it is Toyota's problem! My warranty is safe!
    Best regards. ---- Dwyane :shades: ;) :confuse: :)
  • dchen2003dchen2003 Member Posts: 34
    Thank you for the help, I tried again to press the lock button on the remote control twice, but still had no luck.
    I look at the headlight control stick, there are a few options. 1. Off 2. Daytime Running Light (DRL) 3. On. Am I suppose to put the switch at DRL? I will give this option a try, it it still doesn't work I may need to go to the dealership.

Thank You for All the Responses
    "DRL" (daytime running lights) should always be the default position when you don't need low-beam headlights. In this position, only the DRLs are illuminated when the car is running. As soon as you shut off the ignition, the DRLs should go off.

If you have the switch in the "on" position, all lights, including the headlights, parking lights, and taillights, will be illuminated. Once the car is shut down and locked twice with the remote, all these lights should go out.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I have a 2008 TCH and want to know how to remove the wiper blade assembly from the wiper arm.. I am used to the type that you pinch a tab and pull the assembly down from the hook on the arm. The 2008 Camry looks a little different than what I am used to. I want to put winter wiper blades on. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    It's basically the same procedure as you've described, except you pull UP on a hinged tab just in front of the hook. The tab is on the side of the blade facing you from the outside of the car, so it's easy to do. Ask for further details if you can't figure it out -- it's kind of hard to fully explain without a photo. Also, there may be a diagram in the owner's manual.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    210delray,

Thanks for information. What you described is what it looks like would have to be done, but thought I would ask first.
    Great, glad to be of assistance!
  • jperezjperez Member Posts: 2
    Can you please email a copy of the picture of the tensioner. I am trying to replace the belt on a 02 2.4 litter engine and can seem to see how to losen the tension on the old belt.

Thanks
    The service manual doesn't have a real good picture with a wrench to show how to relieve the tension, so here's one from a Corolla. The Camry tensioner (although there a couple differen versions) is a little different from this picture in that the spring position is downward between the other two big pulleys, but the arm & spring concept is the same.

Most tensioner arms have some have a wrench point, which will either accept a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive (that a breaker bar, or rachet would fit), or a molded in bolt head (that you could put a socket or closed end wrench on). I prefer using a breaker bar as opposed to rachet, so you have control in both directions. You don't want the tensioner to snap back when you take the belt off, relax it gently.

2004 Corolla Tensioner
  • jperezjperez Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. now I see what it looks like. I will try again this weekend.
  • thomasj49thomasj49 Member Posts: 8
    I was wondering if anyone knew the mileage necessary for this oil change in the auto tranny of the 2007? It's frustrating to call a few different dealerships and everyone tells you something different. Some have said before 30,000 - some have said 60,000 - some have said it needs a full flush, and some didn't. The last place I called I talked to two different advisers on different days and one told me every 60,000 and the other told me that oil shouldn't be touched until 100,000 miles and that it's supposed to be a long lasting type like the coolant. Anyone know exactly who's telling the truth?
    If you read the Scheduled Maintenance Guide, which is a blue supplement you received with the owners manual......you will find that replacing the transmission fluid is not a required change. It needs to be inspected periodically to make sure the right level and color, and if there is a problem then replaced.

So following the guide would be a good idea.
  • toy4life72toy4life72 Member Posts: 3
    I would suggest use non-synthetic oil. The reason is that the synthetic, and non form a kind of gel (bond) after a number of uses, which can cause a gunk bulid up and clog your oil pump. PS... Toyota has had a number of recalls on the V6 3.0L engine without the use synthetic... 5w-30 works just fine save your money....
  • toy4life72toy4life72 Member Posts: 3
    5000, trust the manufacturer...
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I think the manual recommends 30K miles or 30 months. I changed mine at 20 months (only 15K miles) because it was filthy. Looked at it yesterday (only 8K miles since new) and it was pretty dirty again. I vacuumed out all the seeds and crud and put it back in. Not sure how quickly it turns gray.
  • nmeehannmeehan Member Posts: 3
    how do I remove light socket for licence bulb on 2003 camry
  • nmeehannmeehan Member Posts: 3
    My 1997 honda civic,is hard to get shifter out of park,daughter spilt coffee on center consul ???.Would appericate any help to resolve this issue.
    You have to get them from inside the trunk. Pull the emergency release handle (glow-in-dark green) straight off (carefully). Then you have to (carefully) pry out enough of the trunk interior trim panel 2-pc. clips to pull the trim panel back. Look for the bulb sockets, which should now be visible. Twist one quarter turn to remove the socket; then if I recall correctly, pull the bulb straight out.

Installation is the exact opposite.

Take to a mechanic (doesn't have to be the dealer) if you lack the confidence.
  • graffixxgraffixx Member Posts: 41
    Greetings. We purchased a certified '07 Camry LE automatic. At the time, the dealer changed the engine oil/air filter, and replaced the spark plugs.

2,000 miles later, the maintenance required light is now on and we're at about 30k miles. Unfortunately, we do not have the service maintenance schedule.

What's needed for 30k miles maintenance? and how much does it cost?
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    The Edmunds web site has maintenance schedules for most vehicles.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • graffixxgraffixx Member Posts: 41
    Thanks!
  • bergyonebergyone Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 I-4 Camry with 126,000 miles. Since it has a timing chain I won't be changing the belt and water pump at the same time. What is the expected life span, min/max, for the water pump? I have had the coolant changed and use Mobil 1 oil.
    I don't think there's a straightforward answer. It could last the life of the car. I check my fluid levels once a week (except transmission fluid, which I do less often), so I'd recommend the same for you just to be sure nothing is leaking.
  • dovandovan Member Posts: 4
    I just found and joined this forum. Here's my first question. I want to replace my plugs. The manual says I must replace with only "iridium-tipped" ones. Unfortunately I've already bought platinum tipped plugs. Is it all right to use them? The manual does not have the maintenance schedule. I can't find the supplement that has the schedule. When should I change plugs? I only have 45K miles on my Camry. Thanks. -Hieu