Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Maintenance schedules for vehicles of every year are on this website:
    http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/maintenance.do

They're not that easy to find.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    The original plugs are good for 120K miles; I'd suggest returning the plugs you bought for a refund.
  • junghyun85junghyun85 Member Posts: 5
    I have a quick question about oil change for 09 Camry.

From automobile shops such as Firestone and Jiffy Lube, I was often told
    that regular oil's duration was 3 months / 3000 miles and
    Synthetic was around 5000-6000 miles.

Can someone clarify on this information? On Camry's maintenance schedule, it says once every 5000 miles. Is this assuming that I do synthetic oil change every time which costs a lot more? Or is it okay to go 5000 miles with regular oil.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I see no reason why you can't go 5,000 on regular quality oil that meets manufacturer's specification. That's what modern engines do nowadays. 3,000 mile intervals are not necessarily foolish but seem wasteful to me on such a new car. Once the car ages and rolls over 80K or so, a shorter interval might make more sense.

Unless you are using the car in some "severe service" situation, 5K changes should be just fine.
    Shifty is right; 5000K miles is per the owner's manual and is based on using conventional oil. If you're a low-mileage driver, change the oil every 6 months (even if you haven't accumulated 5k miles).
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Is this something I can replace myself. The AC knob is still backlit but the other dial is not?

The shifter light is out too...can I do this one?

HOW?

Thanks for looking!
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Is there a particular brand I should look for..GE. Sylvania etc. One is out (after 6.5 years). Should I just repalce both? If I replace one will it burn brighter than the other? Thanks!
  • nmeehannmeehan Member Posts: 3
    The one that came with your car is 50 watt the replacement is 55 watts,replace the 2 and keep old one that is still good as emergency replacement.
  • faz3faz3 Member Posts: 1
    Any one know where is the fuse box located in 2001 camry
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Drivers Left Knee, behind the ashtray
  • stevei54stevei54 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have the Torque setting to be used in changing the spark plugs in a 4 cylinder 2002 Camry?
    Plug is 16mm socket, 14 ft-lbs
  • damdoordamdoor Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, My door locks will not work electronically with door lock switch (armrest of the doors)or w/key to open all doors. I have checked all fuses concerning and all are ok. I have even checked every fuse both under hood and by left knee and all are ok. Everything else in vehicle seems to be working also(cig & aux, and all other that is electrical.) It's probably something simple ,I HOPE.. I can do basic stuff but electronic testing I have never learned. I have a '00 camry CE. Thanks in advance to all.
    Well there are only a couple things you'll be able to do without some electrical knowledge. There are three fuses that are part of the door lock circuitry....check to make sure all three of these are okay:
    - 30A Power M fuse
    - 25A Door fuse
    - 10A Gauge fuse

If those check out okay, then you'd need an electrical multimeter to diagnose it further.
    KIAWAH, Which one is the 30 amp pwr m fuse. Is that the pink square one to the extreme bottom right by the left knee. It looks like a tiny copper thread showing, unlike the look of the other square fuses that have the metallic t showing thru the top. Or is the 30 amp pwr m fuse in the box under the hood. I checked the other fuses and replaced the 10 and 25 just to be sure. Again, Thanks in advance
    It's in the Fuse box by your left knee.

In a column, about 2/3rds of the way across left to right, will be a column of fuses. Going from top to bottom are:
    - 7.5 Amp Turn
    - 7.5 Amp Rad
    - 15 Amp Cig (you should check to make sure this one is okay as well)
    - 40 Amp Def
    - 30 Amp Power (this is the one I need you to verify is good)
    - 40 Amp AM1
    KIAWAH, The 30 amp is the one I was talking about that has no metallic T at the top of the see thru window. All you see is a tiny copper wire in a white plastic piece. I took the fuse out and carefully took the plastic see thru top off and there are no broken pieces or anything that looks out of place, like as if the metallic T had broken if there ever was one on this fuse. Again, Thanks in advance
    Unfortunately, since all of your fuses appear to be okay.....the problem is most likely the integration relay (an electrical circuit board), which for your year is a big 12 pin relay on the "back side" of that fuse panel that you were checking the fuses on. There is a different relay in the circuit, but since your power windows are working that relay couldn't be the problem.

Personally, I would verify all of the inputs (voltages, switch inputs) to the integration relay were the correct values (and the outputs were incorrect)...before shelling out $$ for a new integration relay. Not sure that is practical for you without electrical knowledge, digital multi-meter, and electrical schematics. Electrical items are not returnable, so if you buy one you own it if diagnosis is incorrect, thats why I would personally take it the extra step to prove that it is the problem.

You will either need to get it to the dealer to completely diagnose and fix, or take a chance that the integration relay is the problem and you can swap it out yourself.
  • graffixxgraffixx Member Posts: 41
    We bought a used '07 Camry LE (Auto). The dealer did service maintenance on it at about 30k miles. It now has about 34k miles on it. The car didn't come with an owner manual from the previous owner.

Am I expecting the service maintenance required light to come on before I take it in to have an oil change?

Or does the service maintenance light only comes on when we have to do some minor/major service?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    If you know the dealer did maintenance at 30k, what did they do? Basically, the manual says change the engine air filter and cabin air filter, and oil change.

The service maintenance light is just an oil change reminder. It begins to warn you after 4,500 miles from the last time it was reset. I think it remains on steady or flashes or something at 5,000 miles.

I would do two things - find out exactly what was done at 30k, and get an owner's manual. You can find them for sale on line, or just look up the information on the internet (Edmunds), even the Toyota website I think has the details of the maintenance requirements.
  • mumble88mumble88 Member Posts: 9
    I got a 07 Solara and trying to take care of it. So I got a cover from carscover.com. It looked like a great cover. But now that I purchased it I'm worried that it could damage the paint job of my car. What do you guys think? Will it damage my car?
    I don't know about current car covers and paint jobs, but in the past, they did more harm than good.
  • geri2geri2 Member Posts: 1
    Does a 2007 Camry LE use an air filter, and if so, where does it go?
    Thank you,
    It's behind the glove box.

Open the glove box, unscrew the glove box damper (limiter), then squeeze both sides of the glove box on the top sides and the glove box will drop down revealing the filter.
    You weren't exactly clear which air filter you were referencing.

Shifty's response, is for the cabin air filter.

There is also an air filter for the engine, up in the engine compartment.
    Ah didn't think of that but since she asked if it uses one, I'm going to give her full credit for knowing that some cars do NOT have cabin filters.
  • kadieokadieo Member Posts: 1
    92 Camry went dead. Full tank. Turn key and door ding, radio still happen. Sounds like it's trying to "crank", just won't. HELP!!!
  • metalibrarianmetalibrarian Member Posts: 29
    2004 Camry LE I4. Under the battery shelf, driver's side, there is a white plastic translucent tank or box of some sort. Looks like a large coolant recovery tank but that thing is over on the passenger side. Visible in a photo in my Haynes but not identified. Anybody know what it is? Thanks!
  • mm7003mm7003 Member Posts: 1
    Well, I'm bad...I've maintained the obvious maintenance and replacements on my 2000 SLE V6 Solara (brakes, tires and rotation, struts/seals, etc., oil, air filter) but did not do the traditional 60K, 75K and it now has 80K on it. I checked into local prices in Eureka, CA and am astonished at the prices for a engine coolant and spark plug replacement -- $469. I've checked with 4 different shops and they are all basically the same.

More disturbing is the 90K coming up with the timing belt (and why not replace the fuel filter, water pump, seals, etc. they said) coming to a whopping $1200.

I mentioned the cab once in a while smells of the rotten egg smell when I have the recirculation air switched on. This led to a quote for the 3 catalytic converters costing $2,765.

All in all, my car which has no problems other than the smell thing is amounting to $4,434 in the next year when the car is probably only worth $8,000 to a private party.

Does this sound right to any of you? The repair costs seem excessive. What do you recommend?

Thank you.
    at this point, doesn't make sense to do the coolant until you have the timing belt and waterpump replaced.

The latest generation v6's, you have to pull the engine to do the water pump......
  • jmyanajmyana Member Posts: 3
    I am a novice when it comes to cars and their maintenance. I got 60K maintenance done on my Camry with a price tag of $718.00. This is the full maintenance they did for the vehicle. I did not remember what I did at 30K and dealer could not pull up 30K service record(He was able to pull up all other records), so I went with the suggested full maintenance.

- Replace engine oil and filter
    - Rotate and balance tires
    - Visually Inspect brake linings
    - Replace engine air filter
    - Replace Cabin air filter
    - 4 wheel alignment
    - Inspect tire pressure
    -Inspect all vehicle fluids
    - BG fuel induction service
    - BG power steering flush
    - BG brake system flush
    - BG coolant flush
    - BG transmission flush
    - BG MOA oil supplement

Is this too high for the things they have done on my Vehicle?

Also they suggested to change
    FRONT PADS/SHIMS/ROTORS and quoted $400.00.

Also suggested to change Serpentine Belt (He said it is cracking)and quoted $130.00

Also suggested to Clean and Adjust Rear Brakes and quoted $25.00

When I asked them if they can resurface rotors they said rotors were too rusty and they need to be replaced. Do rotors get that rusty 60,000 miles?

Also, does Serpentine Belt quote seems to be reasonable?

Please help with these questions?
    Well it's a typical dealer maintenance routine---a combination of necessary things, a few things they should really have done for free (I mean, how tired can your eyes get inspecting brake linings after the wheels are off for balancing anyway) and a few things that are strictly dealer profit and are of debatable value, such as the injection cleaning and the "MOA" oil additive. Those are IMO a waste of money---the other things, all good ideas I think...especially brake and coolant flush. The power steering flush? I'm not so sure about that--but no harm done except to your checkbook.

Cleaning the rear brakes and adjusting them sounds like a waste of time, unless they mean adjusting the emergency brake.

Serpentine belt--that's a good idea and a fair enough price I guess given dealer rates.

The brake pads and rotors sounds high but I wouldn't take it to some chain store either---perhaps you could find a competent independent garage to do the brake work and save yourself some money there.

NEXT TIME -- when you go for your 90K service post the items here for us and we'll tell you what to buy and what to cross off the list prior to them working on it.

Don't pay for additives and you don't need injector cleaning if your car is running well.

On the plus side, it's good that you have the service records from the dealer, should you ever wish to sell the car and ask a good price for it.
  • dmcdonnelldmcdonnell Member Posts: 18
    - Replace engine oil and filter ok, $25
    - Rotate and balance tires ok $20
    - Visually Inspect brake linings ok $5
    - Replace engine air filter ok $10
    - Replace Cabin air filter ok $15
    - 4 wheel alignment not necessary unless there is tire where issues or pullling $70
    - Inspect tire pressure give me a break. $0
    -Inspect all vehicle fluids $0
    - BG fuel induction service unecessary money maker $0
    - BG power steering flush unecessary money maker $0
    - BG brake system flush unecessary money maker $0
    - BG coolant flush check your schedule, I think it's 100K, $100
    - BG transmission flush ok maybe, $100
    - BG MOA oil supplement ? $0
    Is this too high for the things they have done on my Vehicle?

Also they suggested to change
    FRONT PADS/SHIMS/ROTORS and quoted $400.00.
    insane. $200 tops, have your oem rotors resurfaced.

Also suggested to change Serpentine Belt (He said it is cracking)and quoted $130.00 I doubt it

Also suggested to Clean and Adjust Rear Brakes and quoted $25.00 reasonable if they adjust the emergency brake.

max total: $675 that's with new front brakes included.

Full fluid flushes are really overkill at mileages below 120K in my opinion. You really only need a trans drain and fill. You should never need ps or brake fluid flushes unless there is contamination or component failure in the systems.

Dealers never want to resurface rotors because of warping risks and customer callbacks. Howeer, it should never be an issue with quality rotors that have been previously resurfaced at most once prior. (ie resurface them 2X then go with new rotors at 90K+) These rotors all have minimum thickness specs. The thinner they get, the more they are prone to warpage. However, you shouldn't run into issues with 1 or 2 resurfaces. I have never run into warping issues on Toyota oem rotors when resurfaced. Aftermarket rotors are a different story. Some come out of the box new and warped. Just go to a quality shop which are willing to turn the exisiting rotors.

dmcd
  • balakrishnapbalakrishnap Member Posts: 5
    Hello,

I need to do 90k service for my camry, most of the dealers are suggesting that I should change the timing belt and water pump along with the service. The price they are quoting are in the range of 1000k - 1300k. Please advise.

Can I do the timing belt , 90k service at mechanic or dealer which one is better. Please note i dont know any mechanic.

Also if you know any good dealer/mechanic who does this for reasoable rates , please let me know. I am located in bellevue, wa.

thanks in advance
    I think you're too cheap on some of that stuff. I don't know anywhere you can get someone to take off four tires, machine balance them and rotate them for $5 a piece.

also $25 to do 5 quarts of oil, quality filter plus labor for $25? Not so sure about that.

I also think brake flushes at 60K are okay. Brake fluid absorbs water (which it is supposed to do)

But we do agree on most stuff.
  • rearwheeldriverearwheeldrive Member Posts: 140
    Timing belt change is a challenge.

I done them and have a V6 Camry and can walk you through it. I need to do it in my blog, 1990 Q-45. If you own a 4 cylinder it is alot easier.
  • dmcdonnelldmcdonnell Member Posts: 18
    Mr shiftright, what can i say? I admit it. I'm cheap. :) ok $25 or an oil change is a little cheap if you like to get an oil with a familar name. Let's say $35 then. For me, it's $10 including an oil filter to put 5 qts of Castrol XLR in it myself.

However, the point I'm making is that dealer service centers are in the business to make money. If a person does not educate themselves on required basic vehicle maintenance, they will be raped at a dealership. That is almost guaranteed. I am not familiar with any camry maintenance schedule spelled out in the user manual that recommends full flushes of transmissions, steering or brake systems. The only one I have ever seen is a cooling system flush. And now with toyota long life coolant, I'm not even sure if a flush is even recommended before 100K or even more. Waterpumps arnd their seals are more reliable these days. Replacement is recommeneded at every other timing belt change and no more. It's a waste of money to get these things changed more frequently. Oil and trans drain and fills at the scheduled intervals are probably the best bang for the buck maintenance you can do increase your car's longetivity. Things to change for reliability and performance are plugs and wires at 100K+, batteries every 3-5 years depending on quality, air filter every 50K or whatever the schedule states

dmcd
    LOL! No, I didn't say YOU were cheap....I just meant that the prices you estimated seemed too cheap for my area of the country at any rate.

But you are right, it is the owner's job to look at what the dealer is trying to sell them versus what the factory actually recommends.
    Now that this discussion is live again, anybody want to try an answer to my question in #466? On the 2004 Camry, 4 cylinder, there is a white translucent box or tank under the battery tray, on the driver's side.. What is it? Looks like a coolant recovery tank but isn't. That tank is over on the passenger side in plain sight.

I'm curiouser and curiouser...
  • daises2daisesdaises2daises Member Posts: 1
    Went in to get my 2000 Camry's oil changed and the dealership (which has never tried to get me to pay for extras before) said that there are two things on my Camry that are urgent. They said that I need to get the fuel injectors cleaned (quoted about $120) and my steering fluid flushed (about $120 also-discount because we bought our car there). My car is running great, I just went over 70K miles and was doing a routine oil change. We bought our car nov of 2007 and have had no problems....I think my dealership is trying to take me for a ride, what do you think?

Thank you!!
    Both are ripoffs and completely unnecessary, especially considering your car is running great.
  • alex24alex24 Member Posts: 54
    Yes a total RIP OFF, When is our Government going to start Protecting us from things like this, When they waste Millions Protecting Irags, I do part time Mechanic work and I have a 93 Camry 4 cyl, with 192000 miles on it, I never had to do a fuel injector flush or a steering fluid flush, and it stile runs great.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    Yea man. that is a total rip off. I have a 2006 Toyota Camry Le V6 bought on July 2006 brand new. I do alot of driving. As today 01/05/2009 my camry is 128,000 miles. I never had to do a fuel injector flush or a steering fluid flush. The only thing I did to my car was change brake pads, spark plugs, tune up, . other than that change oil regularly.

Toyota are very reliable car.
  • Novice07Novice07 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am a new driver with not so much experience with cars and dealers. However, I am well aware that dealers are very good at convincing people to add unnecessary services at additional costs. I have Camry 2007 and have owned it for one-and-half-a-year. I have 10,000 miles. I recently made an appointment for an oil change, and I have several questions to educate myself before agreeing to have suggested services by the dealer.

(1) The dealer tells me that I should do tire rotation for every 5,000 miles for an additional charge of $13. They did not ask me for this when I went in for an oil change with 5,000 miles. I remain skeptical whether or not this is a necessary service to maintain my car in a good shape. Do I need it? I drive about 10 miles a day or so.

(2) This morning, I had a warning signal on for having tire pressure below the level. When I go in for an oil change, will they look into fixing this tire pressure issue?

(3) What exactly is tire rotation and how do I get rid of the warning signal for having low tire pressure?

(4) When I got my car in the summer '07, I obviously had a new set of tires. How long does a new set of tires usually last?

As you can tell from my questions, I am very new with car stuff. Please advise me. I feel like if I don't educate myself, I will end up paying lots of money for lots of unnecessary services suggested at the dealer. I realize that employees at the dealer are not the right group of people to ask for help in educating myself.

Thanks
    It would be good to rotate tires at least every 10K miles, it just helps keep uneven wear from occurring. Tire mileage will vary depending upon driving style and tire compound, but you should probably get about 30-40K on that original set of tires. When they 'rotate' tires, they will take the front right, and switch it with the back right. and similar on the left side. $13 is very reasonable for a rotation. Front tires in front wheel drive vehicles wear faster than the rears. They do the steering, hold the most weight, and do the majority of the stopping.

The TPMS light means you have low air pressure in one of your tires. Check the tire(s) pressure and refill with air, and don't forget the tire in the trunk, it has a pressure sensor on it as well. Common when cold weather hits to loose pressure and cause the light to come on.
    People should know that for every 10 degree F drop in temperature, the tire pressure drops by 1 lb. For example, in my garage lately, it is around 45 degrees. If the temperature outside is supposed to be 15 degrees, I set my pressures at 35 lbs because that would really equal 32 lbs, which is 2 lbs over recommended, and that's what I always set my tires at - 2 lbs. over. Better two over than 2 under!

Kiawah is right, rotate at least every 10k or so.

It varies how long tires last, but in general, on original tires from the factory, anywhere from 30,000 to 45,000 miles.
  • jjoseph2jjoseph2 Member Posts: 18
    My 2004 Camry, when I unbuckle the driver side seat belt It wont pull all the way in.Some times when I close the door It stuck between the door and car body.
    Anybody got the same problem or any idea what it could be?
  • TijuazTijuaz Member Posts: 1
    Hi!!!
    What would happen if i change a 2.2 fuel inyector of a toyota camry 95 4 cyl for a 1.8 fuel inyector of the same year 95 4 cyl.

would the computer respond if i put the 1.8 fuel inyector?

I Know its not going to have the same power but the reason im changeing it its because the gas is to expensive and im always moveing around in the car.
    The Camry brake discussion seems to have quieted down so I'll ask this here. Anybody have any experience with using brake upgrades (performance pads, rotors) or even OEM pads or rotors from TireRack? Is my 2004 4-cyl Camry just too bland, too 'family' to even consider any part that has 'performance' written on it? Actually I have zero complaints about the original Toyota pads and rotors, which now have almost 70k miles on them. I assume the pads are ceramic.
  • cfinnigancfinnigan Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone:

1st time new car buyer. Looking to purchase the Camry, but I want heated leather seats. They said they could install them for $1399. Is the quality equal to factory installed leather?

Thank you