Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Timing Belt/Chain Questions

Comments

• ja5573ja5573 Member Posts: 14
    Hi,

I just bought 05 Camry LE with 30K miles on it. I am thinking about taking this car to have checked at dealer for 30K maintenance. What needs to be done ussually and is it a good idea(in terms of quality of service and cost etc)?

And what is usual durable stuffs that needs to be replaced regularly(i.e. 5k or 10k?)? I will be taking this car out of country where there isn't Toyota dealership so hoping to buy some stuffs and take along. Thanks.

p.s. I see a lot of discussion on timing belts. On 05 model, is it belt or chain? And how often does it have to be replaced?

Regards
    J
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    The 2001 4cyl 2.4liter Camry engine and forward has a timing Chain.

The 2007 3.5 Liter v6 engines has a Chain. The 3.0 and 3.3 liter engine on the SE has a belt.
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    I think it is time for you to change timing belt at 92000 miles. It's about $50 for part and 2 hrs labor. They asked $230 that is little to high except replacing water pump and other belt(s) as well including in the price.
    You could check condition of your timing belt by opening plastic cover for inspection.
    Make sure that you check their works after installing new belts. It happened to me that the belt for water pump was so tight caused water pump bearing failure after 4 months later. After they changed water pump, then the air conditioning bearing making noise ...

Just thought I'd bring this topic up. I am contemplating having my timing belt done. But I fear the above happening. I had nothing but problems with a corolla I had after a timing belt change. In fact the harmonic balancer snapped months afterwards. It's almost like let the belt break on its own, as long as non-interference.
  • woneillwoneill Member Posts: 1
    i met someone who said she had just received a notice from toyota that there is a recall for 1996 toyota camry timing belts. I am the 3rd owner of a 1996 camry so know little of its history of repairs. with 110,000 miles i assume i better get it replaced very soon.
    is there any indication before it freezes up? there is grinding sound when i excelerate. Is this related to the timing belt?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    There is no prior warning as to when a timing belt is about to let go. Even when you replace it, it's hard to discern any wear on the old belt.

Check with a Toyota dealer or NHTSA for possible recalls relating to the timing belt.
  • speedyscooterspeedyscooter Member Posts: 6
    I have a Toyota Camry (97) I have had less than a year... bought it from a client of the law firm I work for... great car...very reliable...doesn't leave me hanging...yet. I am paranoid that "her" timing belt's gonna go and I am going to be screwed...I went on some website to find out warning signs but then someone else told me when it goes, it goes...you basically can throw the car away after that...I dont want to go that extreme...I'm at 88,000, need an oil change and query whether or not its just in need of a tune up...seems kinda' sluggish at times...any advice?
    :confuse:
  • speedyscooterspeedyscooter Member Posts: 6
    who told you that (there is no prior warnings to when the belt is about to go)??? If you go on the website: www.castrol.com/castrol/ you will see a site that has "expert car advice" with archived articles and a link in it refers to: "When Should You Replace a Timing Belt?
    Belt replacement varies by vehicle make and mileage. Check your owner's manual for suggested maintenance. Here are some warning signs that your timing belt might need to be replaced:

Rough idling
    Chattering and other strange engine noises
    Difficulty starting the engine
    Even if your car is "symptom free" it's still a good idea to check the timing belt regularly."
    Those symptoms will likely not manifest themselves until well past the normal maintenance interval. When I had my former '97 Camry's timing belt changed at 93K miles by a co-worker (who used to be a Toyota tech), the engine was running perfectly and there were no visible signs of wear on the removed belt. My understanding is this is typical if you don't procrastinate on this needed maintenance service.

Your '97 Camry has a "non interference" engine, so if the belt breaks, the engine will quit immediately and you'll be stranded, but there will be no collateral damage (unless you get hit by the guy behind you). Cars with interference engines run the risk of bent valves and damaged pistons when the timing belt breaks -- lots of $$$ down the tubes.

If your car is approaching 90K miles, and you cannot ascertain if the belt was ever replaced in the past, then it's time to do it now!

Oh and BTW, I did have a timing belt break prematurely, on my former 1980 Volvo 240. There was no prior warning; the engine just died suddenly. Luckily we were on a city street in the right lane and had enough momentum to make a right turn and coast to a parking space on a quiet side street. This engine was non interference also, luckily.
  • j2lindej2linde Member Posts: 1
    I just had my 94 camry timing belt changed and now it has no power from a dead stop even thou it runs fine on the highway and idles smoothly. It ran fine before the new belt was installed what could be the cause of this? Any ideas would be apprieciated
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Sounds like the timing is off a tooth or so. There are timing marks on the pulleys, and when you put the cogged belt back on you have to make sure the timing marks line up accurately.

Who did the timing belt change?
  • bloodyknucklebloodyknuckle Member Posts: 1
    belts do not offer any warning of failure. rough idle, low power oil consumption are likely due to improper valve clearance. i'm searching threads for interfearance motors and can not determine wether this is or is not said such motor. a friend has just had the timing belt break and i've offered to repair the car. i am not a yota guy, i know the worst case scenerio and i'm hoping to throw a new belt on, slap it on the [non-permissible content removed] and send it away. the car is a 99 4cyl. has anyone out there had the pleasure yet? and how extensive was the damage
    Bloody,

Not being a 'yota guy', replace the waterpump while you have it apart.
    It's not an interference engine. I had a former Toyota tech do a timing belt replacement on my former '97 4-cylinder. It's not a difficult job, at least if you have the experience like he did.
  • xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    I have an '02 Camry 3.0 V-6 with 64,000 miles. According to the owners manual it's time to replace the spark plugs even though the car is running great and gets very good gas mileage. My question is what is a reasonble charge for having a mechanic doing the job and should the plug wires also be replaced? Thanks.
    The plug wires should be fine. I'd guesstimate a "book time" of 2 to 3 hours of labor @ your local rate. The cost of the plugs is about $8 each (or so).

So if the rate is $75 per hour, I'd figure $150 to $225 for labor plus $48 for the plugs, plus tax.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    THIS IS JUST A SUGGESTION.......If the car is running really well, and the gas mileage is right up there where it should be.....I would not spend the money on new plugs. It is possible to go thousands of miles past the recomended plug replacement schedule without any problem of any kind. I have gone to 140,000 miles without a plug change or adjustment. The car started and ran as good as ever for this entire time. If you think you ahould change them,,,,fine,,,just thought I would share my experience. By the way, the reason I did this is because a friend told me what I am telling you...........Good luck either way.
    I always change them myself, and most of my vehicles (and all of my current ones) are 4-cylinders with easily accessible plugs. The only car that was a pain was my former '90 Mercury Sable with the Vulcan V6.

Therefore, the cost is minimal (not counting my time of course).
  • mundsmunds Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,
    I'm thinking of buying a 1998 camry LE for my daughter the timing belts have been changed but my question is the car has 140.000 miles on it will i have to change the timing belt again at 160.000?

Thanks from the New Guy
    When was the belt changed the last time? The normal replacement interval is 90,000 miles, so if you can verify the belt was changed at that time, then you have 40,000 miles left.

But I'd insist on seeing a receipt for the work done, not just relying on the seller's word.
  • jnudelljnudell Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 1998 V6 Toyota Camry with 101K miles. I have no problem changing the timing belt and water pump at the same time. I was told however to ALSO do change the following while the mechanic is in there:

idle pulley
    tensioner pulley
    cam shaft seal
    crank shaft seal
    oil pump seal front & rear

Are replacing these extra parts necessary/recommended? Thanks!!
    I'd say seals yes, esp. the cam and crank seals.

But not the pulleys.
  • milkyway1milkyway1 Member Posts: 18
    I have 98 Camry with 139k miles. I bought it used at 70k and I've performed only 2 services:

1. Transmission Fluid Flush (once)
    2. Regular Oil change every 3k miles (sometimes synthetic blend)

I'm not aware if the timing belt service was ever performed. I've some cash on me and I'll spend it on maintainence if it's worth it. Also, front suspension has been making a noise ever since I bought the car (especially when it's driven cold or on uneven roads). It doesnt bother me but if its cheaper to fix while doing timing belt I'll do that.

So please advise me:
    1. Should I get timing belt service? If yes, what other parts should be changed with it?
    2. Is the suspension noise mainly due to struts? Are they cheaper to repair with timing belt?
    3. Is there a way to find out if timing belt service was ever performed on the vehicle?

Thanks in advance,
    1. I'd replace the timing belt soon; also the crankshaft oil seal, the timing belt tensioner spring, and the two regular drive belts. You may want to replace the water pump; I probably wouldn't unless there were signs of leakage.

2. I never had this problem, so I can't comment. I do know that the replacing the struts wouldn't cost any less if done with the timing belt.

3. No, unless you know where the car was serviced and if the records still exist. But you're up to the point where the belt should be replaced again anyway.
  • ittrayittray Member Posts: 2
    Hello All. I am replacing the timing belt on my girlfriends 2001 V6 Camry. Its way over due. 130K miles and never been changed. Anyways, I ran into a problem tonight while changing it. I cannot seem to loosen the crank pulley bolt. I hit it with an impact with no results. Can anyone tell me if its a right or left hand threaded bolt? Does anyone have some tips on dogging off the crank so it wont turn when attempting to loosen the crank pulley bolt? I was using a low volume air compressor so my impact wrench might have been underpowered a bit. I just borrowed a higher volume compressor tank, so maybe that will help. Thanks for any advice ya'll!

-Ray
  • dadpaysdadpays Member Posts: 1
    Daughter just bought used 1987 Camry LE. Original timing belt replaced at 96k, now has 156k. Car was maintained. Replace timing belt, water pump, oil seals, tensioners recommended. Is the 3S-FE a non-interference engine?. Reputable auto repair shop or dealer? Read prior posts and informative.
  • ittrayittray Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone. I know its been awhile but I figured out the timing belt issue I posted above. The pulley bolt is a "righty-Tighty, Lefty-Loosey" I have a tip on dogging off the crank. Get a strap wrench and a thin peice of rubber that can wrap around the grooves of the pulley. Put the strap wrench around the pulley (this is difficult and it will be necessary to have two people doing this) I had best success putting the strap wrench down through the top and holding the wrench with a cheater bar. The reason why the pulley is so difficult to get off is because it has lock-tight on it. Now, while holding the cheater bar on the strap wrench, have your buddy (prefferably someone who is very strong and is heavy) with a strong arm loosen the pulley bolt. This is the only way to "dog-off" the crank. There is no access to the flywheel, and you cannot stick a crow bar through the pulley like on some models. After pulley removal, removal/installation of the timing belt is simple. Unbolt the top idler pulley, take off the old belt. Take notice of the timing marks on the cam pulleys and the crank pulleys. These timing marks must line up with the timing marks on the new timing belt. It is a bit technical to hold the cam pulleys in place while putting on the new belt, but make sure all the marks are lined up. Then replace the idler pulley you took off. Now you are ready to put the other peices you took off the engine back on. Good Luck. ;)
  • ginni1ginni1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am new to this board.
    Just wondering any ideas where to get the timing belt changed i.e. Dealer or other repair shops.What can i expect to pay(in Maryland) Is it necessary to change water pump and how much does it add to the cost. I am on a budget. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
  • scarletgemscarletgem Member Posts: 1
    Are all camrys equipped with "non interference" engines....when did they start or stop?
  • niceguy1234niceguy1234 Member Posts: 37
    Anyone know that the 2007-2008 Camry use timing belt or timing chain?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Timing chain.
  • carljoncarljon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 4-cylinder 2001 Camry with only 55,000 miles on it. The Toyota maintenance manual says that the timing belt should be replaced at 6years/90,000 miles, but it doesn't say exactly what that means. My car is over 6 years old. Should I replace the timing belt just because of the age of the car, or is that way too conservative? Any opinions would be appreciated.
    I thought it was based only on miles, not on age, for the timing belt replacement. But if your maintenance manual really says replace at 6 years or 90K miles, this means whichever comes first.
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    id replace it. And def do the water pump at the same time. A water pump cant be more than 60.00 dollars, and its all opened up for the timing belt so throw it in there at the same time.

Macdawg......Timing belt before 07-08 camry?
    At least they wised up and went with a chain now.

later
    Caaz
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    No, the '07-08 4 cylinder engine is the same engine as the last generation Camry (02-06), so it has been a chain for a while. Honda did the same thing - was using belts, now chains.
  • kennedysbudgetkennedysbudget Member Posts: 1
    Everyone on this forum has been so very helpful and informative (especially you delray)-Thank you. I was pulling my hair out today about having to get all this work done at a grand total of a little over 840.00 but I said you know what.....
    1) If you travel 80 miles per day highway mostly at night
    2) you purchased your car new 2002
    3) you plan to keep your car for the next 5 or so yrs(so you can buy a boat)

You may as well pay now or pay more later so I invested in my Betsy (and in myself). Ladies, read carefully. I visited this website just to make sure that the body shop or dealership weren't telling things just to drain my poskets but I've had my car for five years and the only maint. I've had done was regular oil changes (per 5,000miles), new breaks, new tires (regularly rotated and balanced) and a recent fuel system clean b/c of the amount of miles I put on the car per day (I gotta go to work). So If you are like me and you're wondering where your owner's manual is or if the dealerships/bodyshops are yinging your yang (oh and you have around or about 900.00 to spend), read the following.... 1st time for all of this stuff and Delray made me feel good about myself after I sat and read all of the other questions and delray's recommendations. Bodyshop prices vary but I hear this is reasonable.

CAMRY 3.0L V6 2002
    Timing Belt.......had replaced at 99,000 @ 267.00 includes labor
    Water Pump.......85.00 including labor costs since its next to the belt
    Engine Air filter.........26.00
    Engine Gaskets......front and rear 199.00 including labor
    Tune up or Spark plug ........160.00 including labor
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    I'm confused. According to Macdawgg, your 02 camry has a timing chain, which rearely ever need changing, much different than a timing belt. Thats 300.00 worth of non needed work. ??? But if they really did change it for you, your car should be set for like ever, cuz it doesnt need to be changed.
    p,s, your car will last as long as you want it to, even 15 or 20 years as long as you wash it, wax it, detail it, and take good maintainence care for it.
  • phd86phd86 Member Posts: 110
    "Are all camrys equipped with "non interference" engines....when did they start or stop? "

yes, been that way for a long time.
  • superduty3superduty3 Member Posts: 11
    o2 camry 4 & 6 cylinders are timing belt.
    Not quite -- the redesigned 2002 had the new 2.4-liter 4-cylinder, the same one used today in the 2009 models, and it uses a timing chain. The V6 was carried over and still used a belt, in both 3.0 and 3.3-liter guises. The new 3.5-liter V6 with a timing chain went into the redesigned 2007 models.
    Glad to have been helpful. If you had the 4-cylinder, the spark plugs are much easier to change without professional help.
  • emonenaemonena Member Posts: 3
    Please can anyone out there help me in answering this? I have a 2002 Toyota Camry, XLE 3.0L V6 engine. Does it have a timing belt or timing chain?

Secondly, how does its anti-theft security works if it has at all, as a standard for the XLE?
    Definitely a timing belt that must be replaced periodically (90K miles). As for security, the car has an engine immobilizer which means that a key with a built-in transmitter must be used to start the car.
  • emonenaemonena Member Posts: 3
    210delray, I appreciate your prompt response to my questions. To add to my earlier questions, I bought this 2002 Camry, XLE 3.0L V6 with 97K miles on it. I did checks with Autocheck. They did not say anything about the engine status such as the condition of the Timing belt. However, the car checks out with 85% mark with all the usual stated conditions. I am a bit confused. Do I need to check independently with other mechanics autoshop?

Lastly, is the '02 Camry XLE, 3.0L V6 a more durable and reliable car with a second hand value than its LE, 2.4L V4 counterpart? I am asking this, because all I see around me is the LE, 2.4L V4 model. It seems there is a reason why people prefer this?

Thanks 210delray and all other respondents in anticipation.
  • zsokazsoka Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 4 cylinder auto camry, with 75,000 on it. the dealer tells me that the car doesn't have a timing belt, but a chain, but they say the drive belt has to be changed. Any recommendations/
    The drive belt the dealer references, is the accessory or 'serpentine' belt. That's very cheap and takes hardly any time to replace. Many owners can do it themselves with some basic tools, if they are so inclined.
  • zsokazsoka Member Posts: 2
    Thank you, my dealer estimated a cost of $165, and i'm not sue if it includes labor
    That cost must include labor, because the belt itself is much cheaper than that.
    I haven't bought that particular belt yet, but have bought many others for our other vehicles. I would have guessed the belt to be about 30 bucks at an autoparts store, probably 60 bucks then at dealer. Would take someone about 10 minutes to put it on, but they'd charge you an hour of labor.

Call Pep Boys, and ask them what they'd do it for. Heck, Jiffy Lubes might even do it.
  • dovandovan Member Posts: 4
    I just found and joined this forum. Here's my first question. I want to replace my plugs. The manual says I must replace with only "iridium-tipped" ones. Unfortunately I've already bought platinum tipped plugs. Is it all right to use them? The manual does not have the maintenance schedule. I can't find the supplement that has the schedule. When should I change plugs? I only have 45K miles on my Camry. Thanks. -Hieu
  • nickitpanickitpa Member Posts: 1
    I recently had an oil change done and the tech told us we need to have the timing changed, was not specific on belt or chain. Also, he said there is no warning when it goes, it just gives and your car stops running. If there is no warning, how can he tell that is needs to be changed? Also, I just had all of my other main belts replaced about 1 year ago, the car has 136,000 on it. What should I look for so I do not get ripped off ?