Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry - CV Boot Questions

camrydrivercamrydriver Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I have a 2003 Camry with 30000 miles. Has any of the reader checked their CV boots?

My CV boots are cracking, but the Toyota dealer refuses to replace them under the warranty. The dealer says that the dealer will replace them if the boots are broken.

I do not want to wait until the boots are broken, because if the boots are broken, the grease will not lubricate the CV joints. If the CV joints fail due to lubrication problem, the dealer will say that failure due to lubrication problem is not covered by warranty, and I will have to pay several hundred of dollars to replace them.

I am concerned, because I have experienced with my other car.

Please let me know if you have checked your CV boots. Thank you.

Comments

• vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Some superficial cracking can be normal in a vehicle with that many miles.

How was it determined that the boots are cracking? When a vehcile is on a lift, the suspension drops to its lowest level, which can stretch the boots and expose superficial cracking but is usually of no consequence. Further, if there is loss of grease, there is a big mess with splatters all over, and there is enough grease to prevent instant damage, i.e. the boot has to be torn for a good many miles before damage occurs by dirt and water ingress.

That is why keeping an eye on things with periodic inspections may be all that is required.

If you are still concerned, have the dealer document your claims in writing, so that in event of a later failure, you have proof that the problem was pointed out under warranty.
  • jdeibjdeib Member Posts: 70
    I just had the CV boots checked on my 2002 Camry. It just turned 3 years old and is about to turn 60,000 miles. My mechanic checked them and found them to be in great shape, no cracks. I was cautious in that my 1992 camry needed them at about 70,000, but the car was about 6 years old at that time.

Good luck.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Once a year I spray silicone on the CV boots and steering boots to keep them flexible. It's worked so far, the boots have not cracked,the CV joints gave way first at 157,000(passenger side) and 200,000(driver side) miles on my 89 Camry in MA.
  • camrydrivercamrydriver Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for your suggestion. I will have the dealer documented in writing.

The crack was found when the vehicle is on a lift.
    Thanks for your response. I am glad that you have good CV boots.
    Thank you for suggestion. Hopefully, mine will last that long.
  • peterpanpeterpan Member Posts: 120
    You can "help" the boots to fall apart just before you bring the car in to the dealer :)
    Ha ha. What is the best way to "help" the boots to fall apart?
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    --"You can "help" the boots to fall apart just before you bring the car in to the dealer"--

I'm not sure opening the fraud can of worms is really in this site's or camrydriver's best interests...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The dealer won't replace them because the factory won't pay him to do it, so it's out of his pocket. You are correct, if the cracks are extensive, that this should be done as preventive maintenance, but most pro-active parts replacement wouldn't be covered under a warranty, unless the cracks were really bad.

If there are just a few light wrinkles in the CV boot, it could last a long time that way.

Even if it cracks open, you have some time to respond. The grease in there is very thick and nasty and one thing you'd notice right away is some "slinging" of the grease onto other parts of the underside of the car and onto the boot itself.

So, if you peek under there once in a while and see a clean boot, no problem.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Exactly so, Joe. :)
  • jjoseph2jjoseph2 Member Posts: 18
    My 2004 camry, When I make turns the stearing mech: makes a strange noise.
    I had this same problem with my previous 04 camry which I took to a Toyota delar.
    They wanted to replace the "intermediat shaft" and charge me $ 600.I told them leave it alone.Now I have the same problem with this car. I could hear the noise
    when I turn the stearing wheel even when the car is parked.I hope some one could
    help me.
    Thank you
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Sounds like you already have the source of this problem figured out. You expecting this to go away by itself?

If you want to verify it, have someone turn the wheel while you feel the intermediate shaft.
  • jjoseph2jjoseph2 Member Posts: 18
    My 2004 Camry with 70k miles, check engine light just came on with code P-2238.Any one know what this mean?
    Thank you
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Air/Fuel (Oxygen) sensor #1, replace with Toyota part

Low positive Oxygen Sensing Pumping Current

A/F + is less than .5V for 5 seconds or more, or
    (A/F+) - (A/F-) is less than .1V for 5 seconds or more

Typical causes:
    - Open in A/F sensor circuit
    - Bad A/F sensor
    - Bad A/F heater (part of the sensor)
    - EFuel Injector main relay
  • nick9nick9 Member Posts: 2
    Rubber CV boot is leaking black grease and need to be replaced. Can anyone tell me the approximate cost/ hours needed to replace?
    Thanks
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    It's been a long time for me, but I'd say about $300, most of which is labor. Don't put it off, because you don't want to damage the CV joint itself.

It may also be a good idea to replace the other side as well, especially if the boot shows signs of cracking.

You don't have to go to the dealer; find a good independent shop on the basis of recommendations from friends, relatives, and co-workers.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Good suggestions on the board but also if you have high mileage you may wish to consider the cost of replacing the boot vs. the cost of installing a rebuilt axle kit---get a cost comparison from your independent shop. Also, be sure he is installing quality parts and not cheesy rebuilts from god knows where.
This discussion has been closed.