Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Tires and Wheels

Comments

• 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    S is actually the lowest rated typical speed rating for all-season passenger car tires. For tires that you'll be considering, the order (from lowest to highest) is S, T, U, H, and V. See tirerack.com for more info.

BTW, this topic will be moved by the hosts in short order.
  • thoythoy Member Posts: 2
    I recently posted a message wherein I said my 2002 Camry XLE came with S-rated tires. I was in error - the original tires were V-rated. The original tires wore out and I replaced them some time ago with V-rated tires but it was very expensive. I now need new tires again. Can I safely downgrade to an H or S tire? How about the handling and stability? Thanks for your help.
    Despite what the owner's manual says, you can drop down to H- or even T-rated tires. After all, the base Camry LE came with T-rated tires, and the suspension is identical to the XLE.

Just make sure you stay with the same size tires. Unless you drive like a bat out of hell, you'll likely notice absolutely no difference in handling.
  • choclitmookchoclitmook Member Posts: 3
    I am on my second set of Bridgestone Turanza LS-H tires for my 98 Camry XLE V-6. I love them. They are quiet, responsive, and I got 80K from the first set. Tire Rack and Firestone carry them, Discount Tire could order them for me.
  • dandman1dandman1 Member Posts: 12
    hi
    has anybody put IS 300 rims on a camry
    i can get some steel 16" rims for the winter, same bolt pattern as 07 camry, but one is rwd, camry is front wheel drive, will offset by that bad?
    id be running 215/60/16 snows
    thanks
    dan
  • jg6jg6 Member Posts: 70
    You need a wheel offset of 40-50mm. You have to do that homework.............
  • ja5573ja5573 Member Posts: 14
    Hi, my 05 Camry LE has 30k on it. The tires seems to be factory installed Goodyear Integrity(I bot it used). When should I expect to replace the tires? Thanks.

J
    How much tread is left on them now? Tires generally start with 10/32 inches of tread depth, and 2/32 is the legal minimum in most places, although it's not wise to let them get worn that low (that's only 1/16 inches). Don't forget, you have a full-size spare in the trunk.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Maybe 45k.
    Thanks for the reply. One more thing, is there a easy way to measure the thread left without taking car to the maintenance shop?

J
    You can buy a tire tread depth gauge at an auto parts store for about 5 bucks. Or you can use a penny to see if the tread is near the legal minimum. Also, the tires have "wear bars" to show when the legal minimum is approaching -- details are in your owner's manual.

Insert the penny into the tread with Lincoln's head pointed downward. Do this at several places around each tire. If you can see the top of Abe's head, the tire should be replaced.
    Thanks!!
  • jmpinmoonlitejmpinmoonlite Member Posts: 12
    Hi I don't have much time now to read all preious posts so I'm going to throw this out there. I'm buying a Super White XLE. I really don't like the wheels that come on the car. My friend has a Camry SE that looks so sporty with custom chrome wheels. I'm buying the XLE for comfort but would want to make it look more sporty. I'm tinting the windows dark. Any wheel suggestions that are a good deal? Maybe a wheel/tire that is inbetween passengar and performance. Thank you so much for your time!
  • alaoalao Member Posts: 1
    My 07 Camry LE tires are cupping at 11,000 miles. I brought it to the dealership, the told me that it's normal and that I "Have To" rotate the tires every 10,000 miles. I suspecting that it's my strut is causing it. I check my strut, 3 out of 4 have oily film. The dealer told me that the oily film is normal. They will not replace the strut or tires. Have anyone experience these issue before? If you have, please advise me how to get it fix or what I have to do to get it fix.
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    Well, the owners manual suggest oil changes and tire rotations at every 5,000 mile interval.

I would recommend going to a different Toyota dealer, because any Toyota dealer can do warranty work.

If that gets you nowhere, call Corporate Toyota's customer service and open a case with them. See what a case manager recommends.
  • philiplo513philiplo513 Member Posts: 1
    I'm not sure what happened, but one morning, my wife drove the Camry to work and noticed that a hub cap was missing. I'm not sure if it was because someone stole it, or I might've lost it while driving. Either way, it's missing. So if you live in Los Angeles or around the area, and are willing to give, or sell for cheap, please post your response with an email address and we can probably meet up or something. Thanks!
    I'd check on ebay. I guarantee you can find one for cheap. Or, go to a junk yard. The hub cap will probably be a few dollars at most.
  • metalibrarianmetalibrarian Member Posts: 29
    Go to www.hubcaps.com

They are inexpensive and have everything. I've got several things from them.
  • dchen2003dchen2003 Member Posts: 34
    I have a 03 camry, I found the pressure which shows on the door say 20 psi. But when I rotate my tires, the shop always increase the pressure to 32 psi. So what is the correct pressure for my car?
    It's not 20, it's 29. I assume you made a typo.

But 32 isn't going to hurt at all, and personally I inflate the tires on my '04 and '05 Camrys up to 35 psi.
  • drake55drake55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 toyota camry with 24,000 miles on it. My question is is there anything in the warranty that will cover tires at all? I have a huge tack in my tire that is right along the sidewall that according to 3 diffrent garages can't be plugged because of it's location. I also have the extra care platinum vehicle service agreement. I don't see anything that covers tires. I really don't want to buy a new tire if I don't have to. Anyone?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    No company would cover it - just bad luck. Buy a good new tire. Good tires are critical to your safety.
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    I bought a used 07 Camry V6 LE. I bought it with 20" BT Street wheels and Toyo Proxes 4 245/35ZR20 95W tires.

I wanted to down size so I bought off e-bay used original 17" Toyota alloys that came off of a Toyota Camry Solara. The tires are P215/55R17 93V Toyo Proxes J33.

I tried switching them but the mechanic said they didn't fit.

The original tires off my Camry were P215/60R16.

Could it be when the 1st owner put the 20s on he changed the tire mountings?

I was thinking just to change the tire mountings to fit the tires I bought off E-bay. Should I go to Toyota to do this? How much should putting new mountings and switching the tires cost me? Any advice is appriciated. Thank you.
  • slippin2slippin2 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if they are having the same problem i have had to replace the center caps on my rims 4 times in the last eight months, they come off.I brought this car in Jan 07.
    Are you sure about the label on the door? 20psi is very low. Most tires should be inflated anywhere from 32-35 psi. It should also say on the outside of the tire itself what the maximum psi should be.

Good luck!
  • eetereeter Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I had a puntured tire ( nail). Do I have to change all 4 tires now? two ?
    I have 25k on my odometer

Thanks
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    A puncture in the tire tread area, can usually be fixed for a couple bucks with a simple plug. You can actually do it yourself while it is on the car, with a kit at any autoparts or even probably bigbox retailer in the autoparts section.

Alternatively just go to any 'real' gas station (one with a mechanic and bay) or autotire store, and they should be able to do it at nominal cost.
    There is a tear ( 1 inch ) . Can it still repaired?

Thanks
    The curent tire 215/60R16 V94 : speed rating V which is rated (150mph)
    Do I need to maintain it or i can go to a lower speed rating
    I hardly go beyond 80 mph why should I install a tire with 150mph tires??
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Well you've multiple posted, which I've already answered at the other post.

You can repair a nail hole, if it is in the tread area. You can not repair a 1" tear, nor can you repair a sidewall.

So you need to replace the tire.
  • sjv1944sjv1944 Member Posts: 6
    My wife's 05 Camry LE needs new tires at 37K miles. I wanted to change size from the oem 205/65/15 to 215/60/15 to improve handling (safer to have a little bigger footprint I thought) but my dealer's service manager advises against using any but the original factory size. That it may adversely affect the remaining powertrain warranty (23K miles), having abs brakes a factor. I don't understand, as the overall diameter of each of these tire sizes on the oem 15 X 6.5 steel wheels is almost identical. Also, I am considering Yokohama Avid TRZ's or T4's. Any advice?
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Stick with the original size but buy a better quality tire. See the Tirerack site for tire ratings. I was very happy with Yokohamas on my previous car. The Turanzas that the Camry probably came with is not rated very well on the Tirerack site.
  • sjv1944sjv1944 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, same advice I got from the dealership manager. He was ok with it but said Toyota might not agree if I ever had a warranty issue. To be safe, I will stay with the original size and try the TRZ's, top rated in their catagory on Tirerack site. The Goodyear Integritys on the car now have done OK and and still have more than legal tread depth but have little traction and are not safe. I always thought they were a little small for that size car. I note that newer Camrys have 16" wheels.
  • eroc69eroc69 Member Posts: 56
    Hi guys and gals. I posted this in Toyo problems but this is more appropriate.
    I have an 07 LE V-6 Camry. The tires OEM are Turanza EL-II Hs. They are HORRIBLE. I have a tick under 13K on them and they have less than a pinky nails left of tread. The treadwear is a 250 or 260, thats not acceptable for a $25K car.
    Plus the thing rides like my dads ole 75 Buick. Will getting real tires i.e. Triple Treads or Eagle F1 all seaons made it ride a little stiffer-tighter or is there any things I can do to complain about the lack of distance on these?
    E
  • goobeegoobee Member Posts: 8
    OK, my sad story. My car is a 2008 Toyota Camry XLE with stock 215-60-16 tires.

This past Saturday, I had wheels and tires put on at America Tire.

17" Konig Reasons:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/wheelProduct.go?tc=KONREA&utm_source=Google+Loc- al&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=2007&rc=CALINT&rcz=91010

and Goodyear ResponsEdge 235-50-17.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?rcz=91010&- rc=CALINT&tpc=GDYHVF&tp=Passenger%2FPerformance&tc=GDYHVF

So far, they have been back twice for rebalancing and on the last visit, they put hub rings on.

It's still vibrating and shaking at speeds above 65 mph. American Tire is telling me that even though 235-50-17 is an approve fitment, it's too big for my Camry and I should downsize to a 215. Is this guy blowing smoke up my !@#$% or correct?

I've seen people with 245-45-18's on their cars without any problems which has me scratching my head on my slight upgrade.
    You probably don't want to hear this, but I'd go back for a full refund and get your original tires and wheels back!

If you really wanted 17-inch wheels, you could have gotten the SE model instead.
  • goobeegoobee Member Posts: 8
    Perhaps but I'm not that partial to the look of the SE wheels. The TRD wheel is not bad but it's not available in a 17".

I wonder if the stiff sidewall on the ResponsEdges are part of the problem? Supposedly they have carbon fiber sidewall to firm up the sides. I am considering changing to Yokohama YK520 225-50-17 tires which has traditional sidewalls. Additionally, I may try another style wheel. The one's I got were store demos and just maybe one or two are bent.

What do you guys think? I'm going in tomorrow to work this out with the store.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Take them back, get your originals put on and go to Tirerack. Better yet call them up. They are PROS when it comes to tires and wheels for your car. In fact go to their website and look for tire and wheel packages, enter your year and model car and presto they show what the car will look like with the wheels you choose before you make a purchase. I've yet to buy a set of wheels or tires from the locals since I discovered Tirerack in 1997
    Mackabee

here's the link: link title
  • igrigr Member Posts: 17
    Hi All,
    I have recently got 4 x all season Michelin Primacy MXV4 installed on my 2004 Camry LE 4 cyl. AT. The size of the tires is original and I keep about 32 PSI pressure in the tires. Everything was smooth until yesterday when we got our first serious snow storm in Toronto. The temperature was about -8 C, couple centimeters of snow on the road, when I noticed strong noise and steering wheel vibration during turns. All the turns were done with the speed under 20 km/h. Vibration/noise were constant when I was moving 10-20 km/h with the steering wheel even slightly turned. I tried turning steering wheel in both directions while standing still on the parking lot covered with the snow, the same vibration and noise were still present, but only when tire was actually moving against snow. On the same day I also could hear scraping sound from the rear wheels when braking - it didn't sound like ABS, because it was much more "distant" and break pedal didn't vibrate. All the fluids where on normal levels. Once I've reached my underground parking, the vibration/noise during turns and scraping sound during breaking were gone. So, it seems that both were produced by tires movement against snow. There were neither vibration nor noise when car was moving straight on snow.
    Did anybody experience similar tire behaviour? Or could it be mechanical problem and nothing to do with tires?
    Any information is highly appreciated.
  • niceguy1234niceguy1234 Member Posts: 37
    It says performance tires on the spec. Actually what kind of tire used on the Camry SE V6? Are they summer tires? Did anyone changes them to all-season tires at no extra cost?
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    I highly doubt this car comes w/ summer tire only. It's a family car-- not a 350Z. :P
    The SE comes with a choice of summer tires or all-season tires. There is no charge for one vs. the other.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Wow, there's something new everyday...never thought Toyota would offer summer tires only on the Camry, even if it's an SE. My old '05 G coupe didn't come w/ summer tires only unless I got a sport upgrade package.

FYI, from the Toyota website "SE available with All-Season tires as a no-cost option."
  • niceguy1234niceguy1234 Member Posts: 37
    In the 2008 Camry brochure, it says the spare tire is Full Size Spare except the Hybrid. Can anyone confirm that if it is a full-size spare or a compact sapre?
    Well, I know Toyota went to a temporary, compact spare for the 2007 model Camry, so I'd highly doubt they've reverted to a full-size regular tire for the spare in any 2008 model.
  • busterbunnybusterbunny Member Posts: 16
    At 24K, the dealer replaced a total of 5 struts on my 07 Camry LE. 3 front, and 2 back. My friend also have a 07 Camry LE, he had to replace 3 struts out of 4. Anyone have this kind of luck? If not, i suggest checking for oily firm on the struts. If it's leaking, bring it in to have it repace. According to the recept, the seal on the struts was bad. Anyone have this experience?
  • jkmqjkmq Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2007 Camry SE 4cyl. It came with Toyo Proxies tires, P215/55r17's. These tires have 21,000 miles on them and they are worn out ( only 3/32's left on tread). They have been rotated 3 times. The tires are also badly cupping. I went to Discount Tire and they said either they have not been rotated or the srtuts are worn out. I am going to get new tires this week and see if the Toyo's are just cheap tires. Then, I'm also going to the dealership and see if the struts are bad. My question is this...will P225 / 55 r17 fit and perform without problems on this car or do I need to stay with the same size tire that I am replacing. I think the slightly wider/taller tire would look better but I do not want any clearance/steering problems. Any thoughts ?
    It's highly unlikely the struts are worn out at such a low mileage. Aren't those Toyo tires summer high-performance tires? If so, 21K miles isn't bad at all.

If you want longer tread life, you'll have to go an all-season tire. I would not change the tire size -- it will throw off your speedometer and odometer.
  • gene22gene22 Member Posts: 34
    After reading from a few people here and on Avalon boards, I replace the tires on my 07 Camry XLE V6. Went with Goodyear Assurance Comfortread, which are not the same as Tripletread. I wanted a bit quieter ride and it worked. When I sent to sears to buy them, they kept trying to sell me something else at the same speed rating. The speed rating on my OEM tires were a V, and the new ones were T, or something like that. Since the new ones are still rated to 118mph, I was not worried.

Paid $101 each plus stuff at Sams.

Thanks to this board, my Camry is much quieter now - and I did not have to buy a new Avalon to get there.
  • geffengeffen Member Posts: 278
    I'm looking to replace the original Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's on my 06 Camry LE what is recommended as a replacement tire? i'm looking for an all season quiet riding tire.