Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Tires and Wheels

Comments

• olddog7olddog7 Member Posts: 23
    I have a 2007 Camry LE with 19,000 miles and already the tires seem to need replacing. I'm a bit pissed. The tires have been rotated regularly. Can some quiet road tires be recommended? There are some sales going on around here, buy 2 get 2 tires free with the following tires: Goodyear Integrity, 50,000 mile, Dunlop Signature, T 75,000,H 60,000mile, Falken ZE-502. I dont know if they even come in the size I need. They also have Michelin mxv4 primacy, approx 120 per tire(not buy 2 get 2). So I'm looking for comfort, longer lasting, and a deal. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • paul3637paul3637 Member Posts: 45
    I put Michelin Primacy MXV4's on my 09 LE V6 when my worthless and noisy Turanzas wore out prematurely. They are great and have a 60,000 mile warranty and improved the cornering ability of my car.. I did a lot of research .... and that research was confirmed with the test results release by consumerreports.org on 9-28-09..

They tested 15 V rated tires and 14 H rated tires. Michelin Primacy was the best H rated tire and Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S was best V rated.

Results will be published in the November issue. I cant send you a link to the internet posting because you have to be a member to join.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/09/new-tires-ratings-and-a-new-look.h- tml
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Felt the same way about my OEM Bridgestone EL400's that came on my Acura TL; had so many problems with them and since they were Bridgestone's they were the only one I was able to work an adjustment out on and get the top of the line Serenity's on the car for a really reduced price!! thankful to say the Serenity's are ten times better in all areas compared to the EL400's that came with the car but they still have a little bit too much road noise for my taste and don't compare to past Michelins and Kumhos I've had in regards to quietness and ride quality;

I will say that the Bridgestone Serenity's are probably one of the top three tires I have ever had but they are God awful expensive (almost $245 a tire for my TL but luckily I had the adjustment from Bridgestone); they are the best tire I've had in regards to performance, road feel, handling, and road grip but again while it is pretty good in ride quality and road noise it hasn't been able to beat Michelin and Kumho in those two areas; I'm most likely going to replace the Serenity's with the Primacy's when they wear out
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    I purchased two sets of michelin X tires from Sam's Club in recent years. That tire rated very high in a C/R report. I've been very happy with the ride comfort, quietness, and threadwear so far..
    OK this is what I have been quoted so far: falken ze-502 4 tires out the door: $346, supposedly v rated. Primacy mxv4 $743 otd. toyo versado $502 otd, and cooper cs4, $473, with $50 rebate( approx $422). The first two sets have a free or discounted alignment, the second 2 sets have $50 alignment. I can buy lifetime alignment for $139/149, which I'm thinking of doing as I plan to have the car for at least 5 more years. possibly longer. The falkens are by far the best deal, but I dont know how those tires are, they said they were v rated and 65k tires. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.PS this is all in S. California( no snow, hardly any rain)
    Has anyone got any input on the Falken ze-502 tires? Or any other reasonable priced set of tires? Thanks for the input.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    If you haven't received any responses, I'd recommend Tire Rack to see how the Falkens stacked up. I have no experience with them myself.

I've found the original equipment Michelin MX4 SV8 tires to be fine in spite of the bad-mouthing they seem to receive. But all Michelins are so expensive these days.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I agree about the MX4V S8 tires. I have them on both Camrys, and even though original equipment tires are not the best, these tires are better than most original equipment tires.
  • bethh518bethh518 Member Posts: 5
    I feel like I'm being taken for a "ride".... I have to replace my tires after 18,000 miles. It's a 2007 Camery, I've had the tires rotated and take good care of the car. I live in upstate NY and need good tires because of the snow.
    Is this normal, or should I be pushing this issue, with Toyota?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Can be normal, based on an aggressive driving style, or lack of attention to air pressure.
  • busterbunnybusterbunny Member Posts: 16
    I should push Toyota to help you pay for the tires. No tires should be replace at 18,0000 unless it's really a cheap tires. I've recently replaced my tires at 35K miles, and it's not cheap. Almost $150 each for firestone tires. If they won't do anything for you, i would contact the mediation center on my previous posting. Toyota is going to the dump if they continue to build these kinds of cars.
  • bethh518bethh518 Member Posts: 5
    thanks, good sugestioin.
  • rjohn33566rjohn33566 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Camry Hybrid w/ 22K miles on it and I've got to replace my tires also. It's a shame that they put these "cheap" tires on these cars knowing they won't last very long.

Have you had any luck contacting Toyota? If so, would you mind providing me with the contact information you used?

Thanks
    What tires came on the vehicle, how much are they on www.tirerack.com? How cheap are they?
  • rajatarorarajatarora Member Posts: 24
    Hi! I have a 07 SE v4 with about 53K miles on it and have to get all 4 tires as the tread is running really this. The car has the original tires - Michelin Primacy MXV4 right now.

The only quote I have is for -
    1. Falken ZIEX 912 buy 3 get one free ($142 before discount)
    2. Mounting & balancing ($12 per tire)
    3. Rubber valve stem ($2.50 per tire)
    4. Disposal ($3.00 per tire)
    5. Alignment $65

Total comes out to be about 604 with tax, etc. ( I live in PA :( - 6% )

Is that a good tire ? Any suggestions on getting other deals ? I have looked at the tirerack.com, but don't know what is a good tire to settle on. If there are any tips on choosing a good installer for the West Chester / Delaware area that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
    I replaced w/Michelin's, didn't need an alignment.
  • djdoyledjdoyle Member Posts: 2
    We recently purchased a 2005 Camry LE with the stock 15" metal rims and want to replace them with something bigger but don't want the wheels/tires to hit the body or shocks or cause other problems.

What size tires would be best with 17" rims, or if 17" is too large, what size tires for the 16".

The reason I'm asking specifically about the 17" is that a neighbor has a set of 17" factory wheels taken off 2008 Toyota Avalon for a very good price. Would these fit my 2005 Camry?

Thanks!
    My advice would be to skip the 17s. 16-inch wheels were standard on the XLE of that year (I have one), and the proper tire size is 215/60R16. The speedometer and odometer will be minimally affected by this change, and there obviously would be no clearance issues with the tires.
  • houston_manhouston_man Member Posts: 34
    I am now on my third set of tires on this car. The good news is the car came new with tires that had a warranty, and the follow on replacement tires have also had a warranty. I will not put tires on any of my cars without it.

The previous sets were both Bridgestone Turanza's, and now have Yokahama Advan S series on the original 16" rims. I live in Texas, so snow and ice aren't a factor. The tires ride well, aren't noisy, and perform well in the rain. So far, after 10,000 miles I am happy with the Yokahama's, and when they wear out, I'll get another set with a warranty. My Toyota dealer was right on top of the wear on the previous sets, and replaced them without any issue. I have had the car lined up after each set has been mounted. The alignment has never been off that far, at least according to the shop that performed it. Hope this is helpful...
  • djdoyledjdoyle Member Posts: 2
    Alright, thanks for the advice on sticking with the 16" rims.

BUT, if I were to move up to the 17" rims what would be the consequences and what would be the best bet for tire size? Yeah, I'd rather not have to worry about changes to the speedo but it's hard to pass up 4 essentially brand new rims for almost free. I know the tires will be more expensive than 15" or 16" but that's a given.

Thanks again.
  • silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    Looks like 215/55-17 based on Tirerack:

http://www.tirerack.com/
  • planomikeplanomike Member Posts: 8
    I had to replace mine a week ago. Had 18,343 on my 2007 XLE.

It's been a known issue for a long time. Manufacturers do NOT put 70,000 mile tires on cars. They put on tires that will last, on average, 2 years with average driving. It's economics. They base MSRP on what the car costs to make and what they want as profit. Why would they put $400 tires (for 4) on it when they could put a $100 set.
    It also depends on how and where you drive. My co-worker has the exact same Michelin MXV4 S8 tires on his '04 Camry and gets only about 27K miles out of them. But he definitely drives more aggressively than me, and he doesn't rotate the tires. He still likes the Michelins for their ride, handling, and lack of noise. Note that these still are OEM tires on some Camrys.

I have the same tires on my nearly identical '05 Camry. Two have been on the car since 21K miles and they only have minimal wear going on 44K miles. I managed to nurse 3 of the 5 the reportedly notorious Bridgestone Potenza RE-92 original tires on that car to 41K miles, with regular rotations (the other 2 were punctured earlier on -- hence replacement with the 2 Michelins). Now I have the Michelins all around.
  • silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    My 2010 SE came with Toyo "Summer Performance" tires. I don't expect that they will last more than 15 to 20K miles, even tho my wife and I are not aggressive drivers.

I will replace those with either the Toyo Versada or the Michelin Primacy. I have had good luck with Michelins on all of my other cars.
    edited February 2010
    Update: Mediation Center could not do anything for me. Did I metion on my last post that Toyota said that leaking struts is "By Design". And now with these recalls...I'm staying away from Toyota. To you all Toyota associates, lawyers, etc that's reading my post. Please advise Toyota to build better cars and don't give customers the "by design" BS for a defective parts/automobile.
    Yes, summer tires aren't expected to last more than about 20K miles, because they have soft tread compounds for maximum grip. Downside of course is that the soft rubber wears down much faster.
  • tyt7203tyt7203 Member Posts: 1
    Me too, after 19,000 miles I replaced 4 tires on my 07 Camry XLE V6 at car dealership today but they only charged me 2 tires instead of 4 tires. I was told that they would bill Toyota for 2 tires. Went to Costco 1st since they have tire sale but they did not have my size.
  • oneadam12oneadam12 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a complete set of Michelin Primacy MXV4s for my 2004 Camry. They were rated very well by Consumer Reports but immediately after install I noticed a problem on the freeway - they are terribly unstable! It feels like it's always a windy day as the car feel like it's jerking from side to side (though the steering wheel doesn't really move). I brought the car back and they checked the balancing which was fine. They did over-inflate them to 35 PSI though they should be at 29 PSI. Not a huge difference and they are now at the recommended 29 PSI. The problem persists so I brought it back again and this time they told me that generally Michelin tires are terrible with recent changes to the tire compounds and the sidewalls are too soft and mushy. Of course this is a primarily a Bridgestone dealer but they were happy to install Michelins! The service manager drove my car on the freeway and he confirmed that the car is "terribly unstable" yet now is backtracking and maintaining that they are still safe. Hm. The store is maintaining that since they are not a Michelin dealer, they will not stand behind the tires. They are also saying that it could be the struts but the day before the new tires this problem did not exist (I had Goodyear Tripletread since we lived on the East Coast when I bought them). I have asked to escalate this to the Manager and will go higher if necessary. I am leaving the name of this chain out of this email since I have generally been happy with them and if they resolve this well (meaning they agree to take back all four tires and replace with another set - Bridgestone Turanza Serenities maybe?) I will continue to recommend them. Any feedback? Thank you!
    edited April 2010
    I put Michelin Pilot Exalto AS on my 2007 LE (almost 20K miles ago), and have been very happy with them. These replaced the Michelin Energy MXV4-S8's that were on it as OEM originals. Both fine tires as far as I'm concerned.
    edited April 2010
    test results

That tire you bought has good testing and recommendations.....you may have something out of whack with your vehicle. I'd check alignment, and struts.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Adam,

There is a phenomenon known as "groove wander", sometimes referred to as tramiling, where the grooves in the tire and the grooves in the pavement line up and the road tries to steer the car. It sounds like you've got this.

This is pretty much size specific as the spacing between grooves in a tire is dependent on the width of the tread, which varies according to tire size. Tire manufacturers will specifically space their grooves to avoid certain widths. The problems is that pavement grooving isn't standardized, making it difficult for tire manufacturers to account for all the possibilties - and occassionally they will miss one.

I would call Michelin directly and explain your problem. They should be able to offer something appropriate and you won't have to deal with the dealer.
  • mandy32mandy32 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 Camry SE, I got a flat and have no lug key to get the tire off, is there any other way to get the lugs off ? The dealership told me they needed to measure the lug . Thanks
  • rexanarexana Member Posts: 1
    94V is suggested for the car. Anyone have knowledge of the below?

94 "Load Index"
    V "Speed Rating

Is the "V" necessary and is the "94" load index the only one that works also? Tire Brand suggestions?

Thanks for your information!
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    edited June 2010
    According to the good people at my local Sears tire store, you can step down to the H speed rating but should try to match the load index as closely as possible. My Michelins are getting close to the wear bars now with 28k on my 08 Solara. I've been loking at tires lately and will probably buy in the Fall.

BTW, Sears will now price match Tirerack prices plus the shipping charge. Just remember to add the shipping cost to the Tirerack price for tires. I was informed of this policy just last week and its good for me as my local Sears is 1/2 mile away.
  • nmd34nmd34 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Camry. My mechanic told me twice that my struts are leaking and need to be replaced. The Toyota service center continues to tell me that they are leaking a "normal" amount and refuse to replace them. I called Toyota directly who did nothing for me. Basically, I have to wait until they are leaking enough and then they will no longer be under warranty. I am furious. With the recent recalls, Toyota should be completely willing to fix any problems.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    "My mechanic told me twice that my struts are leaking and need to be replaced. The Toyota service center continues to tell me that they are leaking a "normal" amount "

I always thought when struts start leaking they need replacement. Sounds like dealer hooey to me. Face it, Toyota seems to becoming the new "old GM" arrogantly internally focused while ignoring the customer.
    edited July 2010
    Try bringing your car to different dealer. Some dealer will replace it, some won't. That's the experience I had. According to Toyota leaking struts and cupping/feather tires are "by design". By design my [non-permissible content removed]. Are your tires starting to cup or or feathering? If they are, the struts are definitely bad and is not "by design". I had to take them to small claim for them to pay out for my struts and tires. They finally seattled. Toyota is building really bad cars now a day. This Toyota is my last Toyota I'm going to buy unless their quality change. You should report them to the National Highway Safty, New Vehicle Board, etc. That's what I did. The more complaint they get on that issue, the agencies will look into it. Good luck and let me know how things turn out.
  • vlapintavlapinta Member Posts: 23
    I need new tires for my 07 Camry XLE . I have 27,000 miles and have the original Bridgstone Turanza tires. After reading I see the tires do not last long. I like the ride and quietness but thought I would get a little more miles from tires. Anyway I need to replace them and I don't know which ones to buy. Any help would be really appreciated.
    Vicki
    edited July 2010
    go to www.tirerack.com, for reviews of different tires.

On our 07, we replaced the OEM Michelin Energy MXV4-S8's, with Michelin Pilot Exalto AS's. They've been a nice tire, have about 20K on the Pilot's at this point. I would replace with same if was going to be buying tires again (assuming they're still available/made.....haven't checked tirerack).
    edited July 2010
    I have the OEM Michelin MXV4 S8 tires on one of my Camrys and have been quite pleased with them. A colleague at work has purchased the same tires for his same-generation Camry (a 2004) and goes through a set in about 27K miles, the same as you. He definitely drives more aggressively than my wife and I do. He likes them so much that he just keeps on buying them despite the relatively rapid wear.

I agree with kiawah about checking the reviews on Tire Rack.
  • naavynaavy Member Posts: 1
    Does 205/65R15 tires Came off a Mercury Sable, Bolt pattern for rims 5 x 108 fit on Camry 2003 LE?

thanks.
    Tires yes; wheels, I believe not.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    The rims from a Ford Taurus (and Mercury Sable) have a bolt circle of 107.9mm (yes, the decimal is important!), while the Camry has a bolt circle of 114.3mm, so wheels from a Taurus (Sable) will NOT fit a Camry - and vice versa!.
  • coldfins04coldfins04 Member Posts: 2
    I cant seem to get a straight answer from anyone. I have a 2010 Camry XLE with 16 inch alloys. I recently bought a set of OEM take off steel wheels and hub caps from a 2010/2011. The hub caps have the holes in them so the lugs show through. I have called different dealership service departments and the parts departments and get different answers. WHAT LUGS DO I USE ON THE STEELIES...THE ALLOY LUGS OR BUY STEELIE LUGS? The steelie lugs at the dealer are open ended and will look aweful through the hub caps. One dealer says use the alloy lugs another says no way wont be safe. Another said she would check the lot for an LE with hubcaps and run the vin to see what lugs it has???? Whatever that means. Not much online for answer either, some posts say yes, some say no. Any help? All I want is a set of lugs that a 2010 or 2011 Camry LE with hubcaps has.
    It's absurd you can't get a straight answer. I have both alloy and steel 16-inch wheels for my '04 Camry. What you need are the "acorn" style (closed) chromed lugs for the steelies. These are standard on 2010-11 models with the steel wheels, and they were also used on earlier Camrys with steel wheels with holes in the hubcaps (such as the 2005-06 XLE). Surely, the parts department must carry these, or at least can order them. You do not want to use the alloy wheel lugs on the steelies.
  • brianmcneillybrianmcneilly Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2007 Toyota Solara Convertible, which is in the Camry family. I had replaced just 2 rear Michelin Energy tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4 V rated tires. I took it out on the highway and experienced swaying as if I had an unruly trailer hooked to the back of the car. (I didn't). I went back to the tire store, they ordered 2 Energy series like I had on the front. Put those on and the same thing but maybe a little better. I went back to the tire store. They said my fronts are doing battle with my backs. My fronts still had 4/32 so I was trying to save them for a while. I said ok, let's put 4 new ones on. They installed 4 new MXV4 V's on the car. It was every bit as bad at highway speed if not a little worse. I have not been back to the tire store and just wanted to ck online to see if anyone else had the same type of handling problems. I think I am going to have them try a different brand of tire but really don't care for Bridgestone. It is a shame because I thought I was buying the best tire out there for the money.
    I own a 2007 Toyota Solara Convertible, which is in the Camry family. I had replaced just 2 rear Michelin Energy tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4 V rated tires. I took it out on the highway and experienced swaying as if I had an unruly trailer hooked to the back of the car. (I didn't). I went back to the tire store, they ordered 2 Energy series like I had on the front. Put those on and the same thing but maybe a little better. I went back to the tire store. They said my fronts are doing battle with my backs. My fronts still had 4/32 so I was trying to save them for a while. I said ok, let's put 4 new ones on. They installed 4 new MXV4 V's on the car. It was every bit as bad at highway speed if not a little worse. I have not been back to the tire store and just wanted to ck online to see if anyone else had the same type of handling problems. I think I am going to have them try a different brand of tire but really don't care for Bridgestone. It is a shame because I thought I was buying the best tire out there for the money.
  • igrigr Member Posts: 17
    I has been using Primacy™ MXV4 on my Camry 2004 LE since September 2007, driving about 15 K km per year and didn't have any swaying problems. Assuming you didn't have swaying problem at highway speed with your older tires, could it be something happened to your wheels alignment during installation of the new tires? Just a thought...
    I did not have the problem with the old tires. I suppose the tires store could have done something to the alignment on installation but this is a reputable tire store national chain and they do this all day long. It still drives straight and does not pull to either side. I found 1 other similar report by oneadam12 but cannot find anyone else with the problem. I had a 4 wheel alignment done less than a year ago and have not run over any curbs or anything adverse.
  • igrigr Member Posts: 17
    It seems that wheel alignment, balancing and struts are all fine, as no swaying occurs with the older tires. What about grooves on the highway surface where you got swaying with new tires? What is the surface on that highway: asphalt, concrete or something else? Or you had swaying at highway speed on various surfaces?
    By the way I keep mine tires at around 40 PSI, mainly to cut down rolling resistance and get better fuel economy, even though Toyota recommends 29 PSI for my Camry 2004.
    I don't know if tire pressure could contribute to swaying. But if tire manufacturer expects modern tire to be at 35 PSI (for fuel economy and etc) and car manufacturer set "standard" for this model at 29 PSI back in 2004 when it was designed for a softer and more "luxurious" ride, then I think tire pressure is something worth experimenting with just to rule it out.