Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Suspension Questions

13»

Comments

• sen79sen79 Member Posts: 3
    I need to replace struts on my 1999 Camry with 85000 miles. I am not quite sure whether i should go for OEM or after markets struts like KYB, monroe. I would appreciate if someone can share their experience with after market struts on Camry. Thanks
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I have never replaced the struts on any of the 3 Camrys I've owned, except for the right front of my former '97, when it was hit in a parking lot crash. I just replaced it with the OEM version.
  • toyman5toyman5 Member Posts: 4
    We were successful in having Toyota pay for more than half of the cost of the repair. We paid up front and they are sending us a check. We called Toyota in Torrence, CA. There is a program called Outside Warranty Assistance Program. I don't know if it was because we have owned Toyota's since the 1980's coupleed with we were just 1000 miles over the warranty that they shared the cost, but it's worth a try. Good luck.
  • toyman5toyman5 Member Posts: 4
    call toyota in Torrence California and ask about the Outside Warranty Assistance Program. Our car was 1000 miles over the warranty and they are reimbursing us for more than half of the cost of repairs.
  • jdzwjdzw Member Posts: 2
    Thanks - good info on the Outside Warranty Assistance Program for the struts.

I also called Toyota and got a case # assigned for the transmission problem. It's so annoying that I decided if I couldn't get that fixed, I wasn't going to dump any money into the car to fix any other problems (like the struts). As of today they are contacting the dealer on the transmission problem. Very helpful compared to the dealer, who just told me that the car ran really smooth during their test run and that the TSB didn't apply to my car anyway as mine is a V6. In working with Toyota, they confirmed that the TSB (TSB-0068-08) does not apply to all of the Camry's. Mine is a 2008 XLE 6 speed. It seems that there is a TSB 0090-09 that might apply - "TCM calibration to enhance shifting performance and smoothness during acceleration. " Toyota is intervening with the dealer so we'll see what happens.

I'll let you know if I have any success...
  • dwmdesignerdwmdesigner Member Posts: 1
    After installing New Brakes my repair Guy just let me know my Two front Struts are Leaking and told me to Contact Toyota to have them replaced since they "should" be under warranty...Not after 36,000 Miles!! I'm at just over 48,000 miles since I do a lot of Driving to work with my daily commute.

After reading this post I contacted Torrance Toyota about the "Outside Warranty Assistance Program" and the guy I spoke to said that there is No Official "Outside Warranty Assistance Program!"

Did I call the wrong Toyota Dealership?

The one I contacted was DCH Toyota of Torrance.

Any help will be appreciated!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Don't call a dealer, call Toyota - the number is in the owner's manual.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Do you trust your repair guy enough to believe the struts are leaking? Did you see for yourself while he had the car up on the lift? Was the underside of the car wet from rain or snow?

I say this because a Midas guy years ago said I needed new rear shocks because the ones on my car were "leaking." But I had just driven through slushy snow and it was only water on the shocks, not oil.
  • busterbunnybusterbunny Member Posts: 16
    Everyone that has leaky struts, Please contact New Motor Vehicle Board, Comsumer mediation services to help. You can call them at 916-445-1888. The person that's helping me said the more people report it, they will investigate. And if proves to be true that the struts are defect, they can force Toyota to do a recall. I will keep you all updated. I'm going to contact them tomorrow to see what's the status is.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    What I would like to know is WHY Toyota is having all these problems with the struts on the Camry leaking? Does it have anything to do with the Camry being built here in the U.S.? If the Camry was built in Japan I bet that it wouldn't have any issues with the leaky struts and with anything else. When these cars were once built 100% in Japan they didn't have any problems.
    Toyota Quality has gone down since the company decided to build their cars here in the U.S.. That's why everyone is having so many issues and problems with their Camry. A Camry that's Made is U.S.A. = JUNK! :lemon:
    YES! YES! Piece of Junk. LAST Toyota I will buy!!
    I just wanted to re-iterate on something here regarding the 2010 Camry.
    I ended up just recently "leasing" a brand new 2010 Toyota Camry LE 2.5L automatic for 3 years and for 18,000 miles per year. The ONLY reason why I decided to do this is because I used to own a 1997 Toyota Camry 2.5L CE 5 speed manual and that particular car never gave me any mechanical problems. The ONLY 2 problems that I encountered during the 3 year and 52,000 mile owernership with my 97' Camry was that the rubber gaskets around all the window moldings on all 4 doors shrunk into the door frames. ALSO, the front end was making a "clunking" noise when I first bought the car. I left the rubber around the window molding frames "as is" and accepted the window molding flaw.
    But the entire front end was replaced when the car had under 3,000 miles on it and the clunking noise went away. The origin of the clunking noise was from a loose flat metal washer that was located on top of the shock towers in the engine bay.

Again, the problem with the rubber gaskets around door window molding frames shrinking into the door frame was due to poor fit and finish because the car was NOT built 100% in Japan. It was built in Kentucky just like my current 2010 Camry LE. Other than that, I never encountered and other problems with my 97' Camry and the engine and transmission were flawless thru-out the 3 years that I owned it.

Now getting back to my current 2010 Camry LE which I just leased. The ONLY reason why I leased a 2010 Camry LE was because I wanted a decent point A to point B car and because I am NOT the type of person who wants to make the astronomical $250, $300+ and $400+ a month car payments for a vehicle. It aint worth it for a piece of metal that depreciates 50% and that will look beat and worn after 3 years of continuous everyday usage. I also decided on picking the Camry LE as my vehicle because my other 1997 Camry CE 5 speed manual was a very relaible car and it didn't give me any mechanical issues during the 3 years which I owned it from 1997-2000.

Currently, I only put down a total of $2,800 (with the gap insurance included in the $2,800 down payment together with all the taxes, title, fees, ect.) and I was able to lease my new 2010 Camry LE for ONLY $156.01 per month and am allowed to put 18,000 miles per year on it with a total of 54,000 miles in 3 years. I just couldn't pass up such a good deal and that's why I decided to stick with the new 2010 Camry LE.

I am hoping that I will not encounter any quality or mechanical issues with this car and that I will have a trouble-free 3 years/54,000 miles of ownership with my newly leased 2010 Camry LE. I am hoping that Toyota has resolved the leaking strut problem on the newer 2010 Camry vehicles.

I still wish that Toyota built all of their Camry vehicles 100% in Japan. I believe that cars built 100% in Japan are better built and that they use better quality materials on 100% Japanese built cars. The American built Camry is currently missing some of the quality that a Japanese car which is built 100% in Japan has. Japanese cars like the Camry which are built here in America just do NOT "cut the cake" and they do NOT have the same quality build standards that a 100% "made in Japan" Japanese built car has. That's why Toyota is having so many fit and finish and so many mechanical issues with their American built vehicles. The quality standards are much lower on all the vehicles that Toyota manufactures here in the U.S..
    Let's face it, Americans do not and will never be able to meet the very strict Japanese quality and building standards on any of their Japanese brand name vehicles that they build here in the U.S.. It has never happened with the Camry and it will also never happen with any other American built Toyota as long as Toyota builds all their vehicles here in the United States and not in Japan.

I look at it this way with this type of logic:
    If we Americans wanted to buy a lower quality vehicle that's built here in the U.S, we could always buy any American brand name car. Why buy a Japanese car that's built here in the U.S. if the Japanese car is going to have quality build issues and mechanical issues with it if you know what I mean? In other words, what good is it buying a Japanese brand name car that's built here in the U.S. that's got quality and mechanical issues when one could always buy an American brand name car with the same quality and mechanical issues? Why would I want to spend the "extra" money for a "cheaply built" American built Japanese brand name car when I can always spend "LESS" money and buy an American built American brand name car for much LESS money? I think that Toyota just like a lot of the other Japanese brand name auto manufacturers have gained a lot of loyal customers due to the fact that they once all build excellent quality cars in the past 30 years. But what a lot of people still do NOT realize is that the quality has gone down with a lot of the Japanese auto manufacturers. At least with a lot of the cars which they build here in the United States right now. Toyota needs to increase their quality standards in manufacturing and materials here in the U.S. to the same quality standards as they currently have in Japan. If they are unable to do this then Toyota needs to STOP building their cars here in the U.S. and they need to revert all of their automobile production back to Japan where the quality in manufacturing and materials is top notch. PERIOD!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That's a great lease in terms of mileage (the usual stumbling block for most leasees) and I don't mean to nitpick, but in fact your payments are $233 a month because of your upfront money. Still you can't beat that mileage allowance.
    "That's a great lease in terms of mileage (the usual stumbling block for most leasees) and I don't mean to nitpick, but in fact your payments are $233 a month because of your upfront money. Still you can't beat that mileage allowance."

Yes, you are very right about the mileage allowance. Initially, in the beginning of the lease deal, I "demanded" that my payment be "no more" than $150.00 per month "with" taxes included with ONLY a $1,000.00 down payment and "with" 18,000 miles a year. The dealership declined my offer and I then increased my down payment to a $1,500.00 down payment and still demanded the same exact $150.00 monthly payments with tax included.

The dealership then was able to meet me at a payment of $169.00 per month with all the taxes included with 18,000 miles a year and with ALSO a FREE REMOTE START. I closed the deal at the $169.00 per month payment, but my wife wanted to put $500.00 MORE down and when we did that the payment went down to $156.01 per month.
    I also had to pay an extra $185.00 for the car which I selected from the lot because it had $185.00 more in options in it which wasn't a big deal to me. Then I ALSO paid the GAP INSURANCE up front too which was $595.00 for the entire 3 years of the lease.
    So, the $185.00 added difference in the price of the car that I chose from the dealer's lot, plus the added $595.00 GAP INSURANCE plus the $2,020.00 that I put down for the car came out to a total of $2,800.00......($185.00 + $595.00 + $2,020.00 = $2,800.00).
    I also think that I got an excellent deal too. :)

I'm hoping to work out a similar deal just like this one again when my lease is up in 3 years when I am ready to lease another Toyota Camry again.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Disagree about USA build quality. I have had worse experience with Japan built cars. My experience is that USA and Canadian built Toyotas have gone over 100,000 miles with no problems. The Japan-built did too, but it had about three squeaks and rattles that had to be fixed (fortunately under warranty). But is it really the build quality? No!

I said the same thing over in the Prius vs. Camry forum. What matters the most is the design of the car. If the design is good, then the assembly will be easy, and the chance of errors is much less. Also, the design also includes the parts and their specs, and if this is good, then you will not have any problems, no matter where they are built. I know our USA workers can produce as good or better as any country, but you have to start with a good design, and that includes all the components. A bad component can be built OK, but if it is with sub par materials (per the design specs) or if it is not easy to assemble, then the chances of a problem go up dramatically. The factory, no matter where it is, can only produce a car as good as the engineering was. I had more problems with a Japan Rav than my USA/Canadian Toyotas - why? Some BAD engineering, not bad Japan assembly.

Sorry, I have been in manufacturing since I finished college, and my experience tells me that it is the DESIGN, not the assembly.
    I made this same exact post in the Prius versus Camry Forum, but since we are both debating about the same issue regarding Toyota build quality, I thought that I would also include the same post that I made in the Prius versus Camry Forum in here too. Maybe you or someone else in here can enlighten me about this topic.

I can tell you one thing. My family currently owns a 98 Camry and I used to own a 97 Camry CE. I sold my 97 Camry back in 2000, but mine ALSO had fit and finish and quality issues. My family still owns the 98 Camry and it too has fit and finish issues and rattles and it only has 54,000 original miles on it. Both of these vehicles were built here in the USA in Kentucky. Before my family owned the 98 Camry, they owned a 1982 Toyota Celica that was purchased brand new which was 100% built in Japan. The 100% Japanese built 1982 Celica was an excellent car. We never had any fit and finish or any quality problems with the Celica during the entire 16 years that we owned it. It had over 170,000+ miles before we gave it away to another member of our family. They owned it and drove it for another 2 years until it was 19 years old and they traded it in for another vehicle. When they traded it in the 1982 Celica was still driveable and it had over 180,000+ miles on it. The only thing wrong with the car was that it had rust on the lower panels and on the floor boards from all the salt and from the 19 winters that it went thru up here in the northeast. Other than that, everything on the vehicle was working and the car was running like brand new.

But on the other hand, the 1998 Camry that my family still drives and owns has all sorts of rattling and fit and finish issues that the 1982 Celica didn't have. Can you tell me WHY that is so?
    WHY didn't the 1982 Celica have any fit and finish and quality issues during the entire 19 years of ownership? And WHY does the 1998 Camry have fit and finish and quality issues? And WHY did my 1997 Camry also have fit and finish and quality issues too? Is it because maybe when they were built here in the USA in Kentucky that the manufacturing process or the materials were not up to par like the materials and like the manufacturing process that they use in Japan for the same exact same vehicles? There HAS to be a legitimate reason WHY this occurs. There is NO WAY that American built Toyotas are better or equal quality as the Toyotas that are 100% built in Japan. That's an big overstatement. American built Toyotas are not as well built and are not as good quality as the ones that are built 100% in Japan. There is something that is NOT done here with the American built Toyota vehicles that are done with the ones that are built 100% in Japan. What it is I don't know? I am hoping that someone can chime in on this issue. What is the difference between a 100% Japanese built Toyota and a 100% American built Toyota? If we can find this out then we will also find out WHY the American built Toyota vehicles lack the quality that the Japanese built ones have. Maybe someone in here knows the answer to this.
    Well anecdotal evidence is good for the person who experiences it, but it's not necessarily evidence that will work as "proof". After all, each of us is only a database of 1.

I agree, it's how the car is engineered that determines its success in the field. Fit and finish issues are easily addressed and it is the management, not the workers, that create or destroy quality control. I mean, you'd think German workers would be the best in the world, being well paid and well educated, but they don't make the most reliable cars, and the reason is because German management and German engineering doesn't have a handle on it yet.
  • zipper5zipper5 Member Posts: 2
    Had the same problem. Toyota garage put new bushings in rear sway bars for $130 and noise was gone.
  • pissoffcamownpissoffcamown Member Posts: 1
    I am having some problems with my 2009 Camry from the day I purchased it two years ago. I live in Canada, and I wanted to know if anyone is having the same problems.

1. My shocks are leaking... all four
    2. When I go over a speed bump or pot hole I hear a clunking noise and a weird sound from the front.
    3. My engine between 40 and 60 struggles to change gears.
    4. At about 85, 95, and 110, I get this vibration from the frond end and sometimes the car jumps to the right or left when I hit a bump at high speeds. I have almost gotten into several accidents.

I am told my Toyota Canada and the dealership there is nothing wrong with my car. The leaking shocks are normal on Camrys. The vibration problem they have noticed also but tells me that it is the road conditions, but when I change speeds to 115 or 90 or 89 km the vibrations goes away on the same road. The engine problem they have stated that it is the overdrive that is kicking in, but I know overdrive does not kick in until after 75 km.

The first dealership where I purchased my car, after I complained several times and yelled at them the last time, they had their lawyers send me a letter that I am no longer welcomed at that dealership and must take my business elsewhere. This is how Toyota Canada and the dealerships treat customers.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    edited July 2010
    Leaking shocks are not normal, and could be the cause of #2 and #4 problems, also causing alignment problems which lead to tire wear and balance problems. You indicate the problems existed 'from the day you purchased it'. If your shocks were leaking since day 1, the dealership would obviously had replaced them as clearly defective. You don't indicate your mileage, and we don't know your driving style or typical roads in your area.....to determine the "cause", or "when" the shocks started going bad. You also don't explain the logic and rationale that the dealership has given you why they won't cover the repair. So we really don't have a whole lot of info to evaluate your situation.

I have an 07 with almost 60K miles now, and the suspension is still very tight, tracks straight, and no leaks anywhere. But with any mechanical conglomerate of parts, I'm sure someone has had a defective shock. How you could end up with four would on the surface indicate that it is something that you have done....or....the shock manufacturer has a MAJOR problem that would effect more than you. The odds of you getting 'all four' defective shocks, is a low probability.

If you have a legitimate low mileage warranty concern, escalate up the Toyota chain. Otherwise, go put a new set of struts on the vehicle, have it aligned, have the tires rebalanced, and replace the tire if it can't be balanced or is out of round. Your vehicle is not going to get better sitting in your driveway.

If the strut breaks, you run the risk of a catastrophic accident as the wheel breaks out from under the car as you are driving down the road. You risk serious injury, to you or others. You knowing this risk of failed parts, failing to repair your vehicle and continuing to drive on it, would put you legally at risk as well.

Go repair your vehicle and move on with life.
  • pff3pff3 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    I have a 2009 Camry with 12k miles and I have the exact same issue that you mentioned in #2 above. At low speeds, especially when turning into driveways, I hear a loud clunking noise from the back end of the car.

I took it to the dealer and they "couldn't replicate" the problem and refused to investigate it further. I did a quick visual inspection and everything appears to be firmly attached, but I'm far from an expert in suspensions. I'm planning to bring it back in and take the Toyota technician for a ride so that I can replicate the problem for him.

Just wondering if anyone else is coming across this issue.
  • skybucketskybucket Member Posts: 1
    Lot of 07-08 Camry's have defective struts. Toyota and the dealerships are stressing over that. They won't recall them. Far too many Camrys on the road, far too expensive. So, they blow people off, and wait until the struts get really bad (at around 60K miles), then offer to replace for about $1500. At 60K, the car has just ruined its 3rd set of tires (premature wear due to defective struts.) As you drive around town, look at the rear tires of 07 and later Camrys as they go down the street. It is easy to see, on 2 out of 3 Camrys, that the back tires are bouncing way more than they should. It is high frequency, low amplitude bouncing.

So, I have to agree with your advice. Repair your vehicle and move on with your life. And don't buy another Toyota, make sure they know you won't buy another Toyota, and make sure to do your part to ensure no one else buys a Toyota, i.e., word of mouth.
    After I contacted New Motor Vehicle Board, Toyota still insist is not a defective struts. I asked the NMVB to say that if Toyota insist their struts are not defective, that I wanted an extended on the "struts" only. They still declined. I took them to small claim cout, and we ended up settling out of court. I WON!
  • hussterhusster Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Camry and at 60K 3 of the 4 struts were leaking. About ninety percent of the miles driven were on Interstates. There were no extreme road conditions. Toyota dealer maintains leakage is normal and the service manager said that with a straight face. The strurts are, in fact, leaking but it is NOT normal. Toyota would not be selling very many new cars if leaking struts are a normal condition. What next? Is a slow radiator leak normal? Is an oil pan leak normal? I don't know what happened to Toyota but the quality of their cars has slipped dramatically. The fact that they won't own up to their mistakes is unacceptable. There are better choices in the marketplace.
  • cvalescot1225cvalescot1225 Member Posts: 4
    Hello Everyone. I hope someone here can help me figure this problem out. I have just purchased my 07 SE V6 with 17k miles on the 23rd of December. The car was certified and i also purchased the platinum warranty so that i can have a full warranty on the car. It wasn't until about two weeks ago i started noticing the thumping/rattle sound coming from the front passenger side strut area. I took it to the dealership last week and they replaced both front struts and mounts. I got the car back from them this past Friday (1/14/11) and am still experiencing the same problem but this time it sounds even worse. I took it back this morning and had the tech who certified the car and also replaced the struts look at it and with no surprise they claim that they didn't hear anything or find anything wrong. The noise is a lot more noticeable now then it ever was before. So in the process of trying to make something better it ended up becoming worse. Based on all the threads I've read a lot of people say that it maybe the swaybar bushings and or endlinks. Could it be that or could i just happen to have gotten another defective strut? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Christian
  • dragonpr19dragonpr19 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, i do the same. I installed the eibach springs, then within a couple of months, my car start to bouncing more. Thats around 20K, now the car have 55K and the ride quality is horrible. I feel the steering wheel moves too much. Let me know whats your car condition right now.
    You may have to sleuth this yourself, to prove to the shop there is a problem.

If you go out and push up and down on the vehicle getting it really rocking, do you hear the noise? If so, then have the shop do it while someone is under the car in a pit. They should be able to identify the problem fairly easily.
  • cvalescot1225cvalescot1225 Member Posts: 4
    I brought the car to the dealership a couple days after my original post a d the tech heard the noise I was talking about. He said that it was the struts and that they were leaking gas which didn't make much sense to me. He ordered he ordered new struts and mounts for the left and right side. Not even a full day after I got my car back I heard the same noise again but this time worse. I took it back and another tech looked at it and said that he knew what it was. He took the car in and in about an hour I got it back. He said it was something on the strut or mount that needed to be sanded down. Sorry I don't remember exactly which one but it was definitely one of those two parts. We went out for a drive and the sound was gone and I was extremely happy. A week later on my way to work the sound came back. Everyone that's driven in my car questions me about that and I have no answers. Car has on 17k miles and now with a new pair of struts and still I get the same noise. Now it leaves me to wonder if its not the struts what else could it be? I told the second tech to look at the sway bar endlinks and bushings to make sure they were good and he said they where fine so I'm lost right now. Its one of the most annoying sounds ever. I have to keep my volume no less than 10 to cancel it out. I can't believe how a $30k vehicle can have this many problem. Yes most of it is petty but shouldn't be there. My girlfriends 08 yaris has had one problem since we picked it up in August 07. I have two other dealerships near me so I plan on taking it to one of them and hopefully one of them will know what the problem is. My apologies for the late update and thanks to all who have replied.
    I'd be taking it back to the place that did the original work. Ask for a service manager to review it, take him out in the vehicle, and show him the sound by having him hear it. Don't let them off the hook of fixing it correctly, by taking it somewhere else.
  • chicagocamrychicagocamry Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2011 Camry LE with 2500 miles. I notice that the suspension feels a bit bumpy and noisy in winter, particularly at low speeds, even over relatively smooth roads. I don't notice it at highway speeds or even when going over a speed bump. It is noticeable when driving in a parking lot, for example, or on a road at 30-40 mph. I don't remember it happening in the Fall when the weather was warmer. Does anyone else notice the same problem?
  • trip22245trip22245 Member Posts: 1
    I having the exact same problem in my 2008 Camry LE @ 40K miles. I called Toyota customer services last month, they said that they woudl have a local Toyota Services manager call me...I have yet to receive any call from anyone at Toyota.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Wouldn't your extended warranty cover this repair? ------------- Best regards. ------------ Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    When I purchased my new 2007 Toyota XLE V6 Camry, I recognized that this was "high tech vehicle," and I also purchased a "Top Of The Line Toyota Extended Warranty" for the maximum number of years, and the maximum mileage with a "0" deductible. ------ The cost of this warranty was $1600.00 dollars. ----- To date, this extended warranty has paid for the replacement of the exterior engine oil hose for the VVT. ----- My vehicle now has 63,000 + miles. ----- Should I need to replace all four struts, (before 100,000 miles), I will have broken even with the cost of the warranty. ---- Should I need an additional repair beyond the "struts," I will be way ahead of the financial game! ------ With today's "High Tech New Vehicles," a factory extended warranty is just as important as "high quality tires" and "high quality vehicle insurance!" ---- You cannot afford to be without this coverage. ----- If you DO NOT PURCHASE this coverage, your are gambling your personal finances against the possibility of an early major repair! ----- Should this occur, you cannot hold the vehicle manufacturer responsible! ----- A new vehicle is covered for three (3) years or 36,000 miles, (which ever comes first!) ----- Without an "extended factory warranty" you are responsible for the cost of any repair beyond the new car warranty! ---- To expect a manufacturer to pay for a repair beyond three (3) years / 36000 miles is simply not realistic. ---- (Purchasing a vehicle is simply a business transaction. If you cannot afford an "unexpected vehicle repair" beyond a new vehicle warranty, YOU NEED AN EXTENDED WARRANTY!) ----- If you want to protect your vehicle investment and drive stress free, YOU must purchase a "factory extended warranty" to cover unexpected repairs beyond the original three (3) years / 36,000 miles. ----- YES, it is that simple! ----- You as the owner must take responsibility. ---- I always purchase an extended warranty on all of my vehicles, and I always come out ahead of the repair game, plus I can drive all over the United States stress free and with confidence that I can get high quality repairs at any Toyota Dealership free of charge! ----- This is something to consider on your next vehicle purchase. ------ Best regards. ------ :shades: :confuse: ;):)
  • jnaultjnault Member Posts: 1
    The problem may come from:
    1-Leaking gas strut that makes noise only in cold wheter; sometimes they cannot find the noise because the car inside the Toyota garage, when they try it the problem desapear because the struts are warm
    2-Door hinges bushings that transmit the noise to the body, I know it sounds ridiculous but Toyota has bad door hinges bushings. The result is that on sudden small bumps it makes noise. It cost $500 for the replacement of 4 doord hinges (2 front doors)
    John Montreal
  • smy123smy123 Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 XLE Camary needed all four struts replaced. They started leaking at about 36,000 miles. I also had to replace a external oil hose. Toyota said that leaking struts are "normal" and that the leaking external oil hose was a "fairly common problem." I wish they would have told me that before I bought the car.

My next car will be a Ford Fusion. I plan to purchase one early next year--unless my Camry breaks down again. Then I'll replace it sooner.

From my experience the price premium consumers pay for Toyota quality isn't worth it.
    edited June 2011
    Like my previous post on my 07 Camry. Struts are DEFECTIVE. After i settled with Toyota. I had replaced my 2 front struts by myself with help from a mechanic friend, and it's not leaking anymore. I wonder why Toyota is telling the dealer that it's normal for a strut to leak. It's not NORMAL especially if it's causing premature tire wear. Who knows..............
  • ralcarezralcarez Member Posts: 1
    While having my car's tires aligned at a regional tire dealer, I was informed that three of my Camry's struts were leaking and I should contact my Toyota dealer. With the cars warranty being in effect for only 36 months or 36,000 miles - which ever comes first, my car was 41 months old and has 30,000 miles on it so it out of the warranty coverage The dealer's inspection found all four struts leaking and on a scale of one to 10, deemed the status at four. I car is safe to drive and I could delay having the work done now. However, the dealer offered to replace all four struts now and I would pay only for the labor, which was about $410. I was satisfied with this arrangement. I had not detected any problems with my Camry's ride or handling beforehand. I am disappointed about the struts all needing to be replaced with only 30,000 miles. As a side note, I chose to replace the Bridgestone tires that originally came with the car because the thread life was much too short.
    Did you try to contact Toyota to see what they can do for you? If not, you should have called Toyota to see what they can do for you since it's not even out of warranty (as in miliage wise).
  • letsgojohnletsgojohn Member Posts: 1
    I agree 100% buster, Toyota and the dealer knows there is a problem with the suspension but choose to ignore it.
    I am about to replace my 3rd set of tires after about 70k miles.
    I noticed the problem after my origional set of tires lasted for 30k miles which I was ok with replacing assuming they were simply cheaper oem tires.
    My second set of tires started to feather after about 7k miles so I went back to the shop that installed the tires and they said your struts are leaking!
    I went to 2 Toyota dealers and they both said struts are fine small amount of leakage is normal. I told them I want to replace my tires and they told me everything was fine. So with this in mind I assumed the tire shop where I bought the second set was worng.
    Now after 13k miles the 3rd set is feathering and the car sounds like a truck with big nobby tires!
    I went back to 3 Toyota dealers and they all told me the struts are fine! Obviously there is a PROBLEM and they will not tell me what the real issue is.
    I called Toyota care and they were very curt and said sorry not our problem and they have no solution. I told them after buying 3 Toyota's I feel toyota is pushing me away as a custom. No comment was their answer.
    By the way I rotate the tires at least every 5k or less and have had it aligned several times. The only way I can resolve this problem is to go to a lemon lawyer.
    I love Toyota's but the way the dealer and Toyota is dealing with this KNOWN problem is WRONG! :mad:
    Keep me updated on the lemon lawyer. Don't go to dealer to replace your strut. I replaced my struts myself with the help with a mechanic friend, and it' s not leaking anymore. But the new tires i put on sounds very load when driving.
  • comountainmancomountainman Member Posts: 2
    I bought this car new. It has been well cared for; now with 147,000 trouble free miles until I had the front struts replaced recently with new Monroe struts. Ever since I have had loud ratchet noises or pops and grinds from the front. What was always a smooth ride sometimes feels like wheel hop now, but not all the time. I've it back six times and they say they installed one wrong and replaced it, on a later trip they put a new bearing plate on.
    Wondering if they put the wrong strut on, I have asked if there is a difference between SE Camry strut parts and LE or V-6 and they said they checked and it's the same part number.
    Front suspension is still noisy. I am giving this car to my granddaughter and want it right when I do. Any ideas?
    The 4 and 6 cylinder are the same part # but the SE and LE have different part numbers.

LE - 48510A9190

SE - 48520A9200
  • triptrip Member Posts: 1
    hahaha...I dumped my '08 Camry in '11 because of rough idling, leaking struts, broken sun visor in less than 2 years. Will never buy another Toyota again...Toyota quality just went down the drain after around 2006...My '04 Camry still run strong.
  • kutasykkutasyk Member Posts: 1
    Replacing the strut is totally DIY job. However, you should never replace the spring coil, only the entire strut that includes the spring coil. It costs a little bit more, but, trust me, doing it otherwise, first of all, does not make any sense, second of all, it requires a special tool that squeezes it and it is a very dangerous job tring to squeeze the spring coil.
    When you replace the whole thing you have a brand new strut! Once again, buy the entire strut assembly only.