Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Suspension Questions

Comments

• mjtianmjtian Member Posts: 48
    Personally, I am not even sure what a stabilization link is, but according to him, it needed to be replaced. Needless to say, I was a little ticked off. I suspected that I needed a new strut, but he initially suggested that I replace the links, as he puts it, this is the most common cause and that mine was bad. :confuse:

Mike
  • dadof6dadof6 Member Posts: 61
    The front strut mounts are a problem on the 97-01 camrys. They start rattling about 40,000 miles & will do it until replaced. The noise is not harmfull or a saftey issue-just drive you nuts. OE struts should last about 100k depending on use then put OE struts,mounts & insulators in at the same time.The mount noise was addressed in a TSB years ago.
    Agreed! The noise did drove me crazy! Even though I knew its not a safty issue, but sometimes it did felt like that wheels were about to fall off. Every bump on the road made it worse, not to mention the speed bumps at shopping malls or even the little bump by my driveway.

My friend did said that my Struts are fine, but he argued that at 75,000 miles, my factory struts are approaching the end of its life cycle and that by changing my strut plates, I may as well change the struts too.

Mike
  • dadof6dadof6 Member Posts: 61
    Your friend is right about both strut life cycle & doing all at once as there is no additional labor to do one with the other.
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    I have a 97 Camry with 93K miles and am experiencing the rattles in the suspension as noted in previous posts. I can live with the rattles but the bottoming out over small bumps is a problem! Does anyone else have this problem and does replacing the struts solve it? I don't want to spent $1K on a 10 year old car unless I can get a decent ride.

Otherwise, the car has been very reliable and is in good condition otherwise.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    I had a rattle noise in the rear of my old '94 Camry. I replaced the sruts & didn't fix the noise.

I would make sure your exhaust system is not the problem. Maybe the pipe is hitting the underbody somewhere.

Your Camry will last forever, hold on to it. When you out 250k miles on it...give it to a nephew to use for college. I sold my '94 Camry w/165k miles for $3000 last year...first person to look at it bought no questions asked.
    It depends on how long you want to keep your Camry. I have a '98 with 75,000 miles on it, I spent the money and fixed it. I also spent it on my 93' Camry with 115,000 miles last year. The 93' is still running fine at 125,000 miles today. By the way, besides the strut, there is the strut plate and the Stabilization Links. Also, don't get sucker into buying all 4 struts. I just replaced the front 2 both times. I figured most of the distribution of the weight are on the front anyways.

Also, the noise on my 93' was still there after I put in the new Monroe struts last year. Later I noticed the noise was actually coming from the lose plastic covering around my steering column. I took a note card folded 5-6 times, jammed into the little space and whooola, the noise was gone. However, the noise and rattle was completely different from that on my 98' Camry. With the 98' it literally felt like the car was coming apart and it differed from time to time. The plastic made the same consistent noise all the time. I hope this helps.

Mike
  • jfudgejfudge Member Posts: 2
    THANKS! I own a '98 Camry w/ 100K miles. The front passenger side strut was rattling. I changed both front struts. STILL rattled. I had inspected the mounts & both seemed OK. I ended up replacing the right mount. My Chilton's manual said that it's best to change the whole strut assembly...I now agree.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    does anyone have the strut tower bolt settins in foot pounds of torque. I am putting on a tower brace and am not sure of the settings.

Thank you
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    sorry i forgot to put down that it is for a 2002 camry 4 cylinder xle
  • markbpmarkbp Member Posts: 1
    I had/have the same rattle, changed the struts about a year ago and still have the rattle, BUT now I have a sound when I turn the wheel that sounds like the coil spring is catching on something. I hear a boing(right side then left side) when I turn the wheel about half way to either side. Could the springs be not sitting right on the insulators?

Mark
  • rick44rick44 Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the front struts on my 1998 Camry which has 138,000 on it. I used Monroe QuickStruts.

Using QuickStruts was amazing: it came as one unit INCLUDING new springs, strut mounts, bearings, cover -- everything! I purchased the QuickStruts at Advanced Auto Parts for a total cost of $352.00 and did the work myself. You can also order the parts on the internet or from other parts stores. Other auto firms wanted $600 to $800 just to replace the struts and strut mounts. By using QuickStruts, I did not have to deal with removing the large springs that are attached to the struts – QuickStruts came with their own springs.

I am not a mechanic and have not worked on a car in over 20 years, but changing out these front struts was an absolute piece of cake using this assembly. After installing new struts you will need an alignment job – which is usually around $70 to $100.

Make sure that you purchase a high quality aerosol can of penetrating oil and soak down the lower large bolts located on the bottom of the struts – do this one day BEFORE starting work replacing the struts. Also, spray the bolts about 10 minutes or so before trying to remove them – they can be a bear to remove. The nut size is a 22mm. Use a ½” socket wrench (not 3/8” – I broke mine on these nuts). If the bolts are still frozen – purchase a longer handled socket wrench.

Also soak down with penetrating oil the sway bar link top mounting bolt and brake line bolts – the bolts must be removed from the old struts and move to the new ones.
  • nnnnnpatelnnnnnpatel Member Posts: 27
    Is there a step by step book/ or forum that describes how I can change my camry front/rear struts?

thanks
    Nick
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    The factory shop manual. Order from the coupon in your owner's manual or from any Toyota dealer's parts department.
    I don't think this is as easy as changing your oil though. I know it is expensive, mine was about $1,000. But it may be one of those things that it may cause you more headaches if you try to do it on your own.
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    Workshop/service manuals on EBAY for under $10.....
  • golfnut3golfnut3 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a part # or a better description for the lower insulator on a 97 Camry LE? I've been calling auto parts stores and no one seems to know what I'm talking about.
  • bavulabavula Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1997 Toyota Camry, 4 cylinder, automatic, mileage: 100K. It has ABS brakes, power steering, A/C, cruise control.
    When I bought this car (used) 2 years ago, the mechanic who inspected the car suggested that I change out the suspension system. I did as he advised, and got the suspension changed (both front and back). But the new suspension system that he installed is very stiff. It feels like sports car like suspension. I can feel every bump/hole on the road. My wife is complaining lately about this.

I would like to have a much smoother ride in the car, something you would typically get in luxury cars. I do not care as much for the handling/cornering abilities. I am not a sports car driver. Is there something that can be done?

Does the existing suspension system need to be replaced with another system, or can some "tweaks" be done to the existing suspension to produce a smoother ride?

If I have to replace the system, what kind of suspension (make/model) should I buy?
    How much does it cost? Is this something I can do myself with some instructions?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    When they "changed out the suspension" 2 years ago, exactly what did they do to it......what parts did they use, and what did they charge you?

Did they just replace the struts (kept original springs), or something more?

What tires did you put on the car, and what inflation pressure do you run in them?

Just to reset on expectations.....if you want a "smooth ride like a luxury car", you won't get it on 10 year old Camry with 100K+ miles....and you should be asking yourself whether any of these changes are a good financial decision to do. There are things you can do if parts wear out to make it better (for instance tires), but I'm not sure I'd be throwing a bunch of money at a 10 year old car to replace non-defective suspension parts. You'd probably be better off saving the money for a couple years, and use it toward your next replacement vehicle.
  • jacob690jacob690 Member Posts: 1
    How difficult is it to change the torque strut mount on my 98 Camry 4cyl? It looks pretty straight forward, but I'm not sure if the motor will move or shift once I remove the old strut. Any advice would be very helpful.
    Thanks!
  • ca0412ca0412 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2007 camry SE V6 that I have put in eibach lowering springs, which let the car corner well ,but now the struts are too soft . any thoughts on firmer or adjustable aftermarket struts?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If you lowered more than 2", you'll need new struts, but be careful what you buy or you'll have a really bad ride. If you can afford them, Bilsteins are fabulous shocks. For decent entry level shocks you could try KYB. Koni makes a nice adjustable shock. I definitely wouldn't get too firm. You want compliance for street driving.

Visiting Host
  • ca0412ca0412 Member Posts: 5
    I only lowered the car 1.5" but wanted to know what if anyone MAKES aftermarket struts for the 07 Camry SE yet

thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oh, okay, Did you check with TRD? Might give them a call and ask what's coming down the pipe.

http://www.trdracing.com/
  • dustekdustek Member Posts: 1
    hi, im wondering if i change the spring of my camry to a longer one (+/- 7 cm more), would it be possible? and what are the effects? do i need to change other parts?
    thx.
  • frezzr1frezzr1 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 98 Camry with 52,000 original miles on it. Have a loud squeching noice coming from rear of car (Mostly when weather turns cooler) when going over speed bumps or dips, holes in road, etc. This has been going on for about 4 years. Don't hear it when the weather is warm. Do not have any trouble with oddly worn tires and rear struts seem OK. Car handles great, no leaks, etc. Does this sound like a squeeking bushing problem?
    Personally....I'd be suspecting a strut was bad for a metal-to-metal sound.
  • ssubssub Member Posts: 2
    Hi Savvy13, I have a 1999 camery too now 57k miles on it, went for inspection & got failed for safety. I was asked to replace only rear struts, did replace them with those private inspection guys. They charged me $140 for each strut & the labor &150.
  • dfs2dfs2 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1998 camry and wish to replace rear trailing arms and noticed that fuel tank is in the way of removing center bolts. Can the bolts be cut and installed in the reverse or must the fuel tank or subframe be dropped for this procedure.
  • smy123smy123 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have a 2007 Camry XLE with 40,000 miles on it. The front struts are leaking already. This seems pretty premature. Meeting with the dealer today to see if they'll do anything for me. Has anyone else had this experience? Any suggestions?

Thank you,

smy123
    Have a 2007 w/44K miles, just rotated the tires last weekend and no strut leakage or suspension problems anywhere.
  • rvharrierrvharrier Member Posts: 1
    I can see there are a ton of questions over the years and I've read them all. I just had my front struts, coils and mounts replaced a long with new brake pads, alignment and break fluid for $600.00. And now my car runs like a charm and like it's new.

My front end struts were shot. In addition, I added 4, 80,000 mile michelin tires on sale at costco-I love costco warranty, got alignment, changed the oil, transmission fluid and changed the air filter.

I was seeing unusual wear and my car was bottoming out over bumps. Here are a few lessons I learned (I'm not a mechanic):

1) If you have unusual wear on your tires, most likely it's alignment or the shocks.
    2) If you need to replace your tires, make sure you get alignment -All 4-especially if you have unusual wear
    3) Always check your shocks when you get new tires-ideally, you want your shocks to go out the same time your tires wear out. This is because shocks will definately affect alignment. So if you put on 80,000 miles tires, like me, you ideally want a shock that will last 80,000 miles.

If you wait a long time, not installing shocks can affect other stabilizing components of the car over the long term. Once I got the new tires, shocks and alignment brakes and the fluids.

It's not unusual is you are a city driver for your front shocks to last only half as long as your back. This is because the bumps the city drivers have are generally speed bumps or deep dips in the road and the front shocks take most the load most of the time. If you are careful over those dips and take it easy over the bumps, you can significantly extend the life of the shocks.

Next, as you can imagine all the stuff I did cost about $950.00. I mean everything. My car is 10 years old-Now it looks (inside and out as well as under the hood) and runs like new. If you figure in that I have not had a payment for at least 6 years, this really is worth the money. If I didn't it, I would have to buy another car a lot sooner and spend a lot more money in the future.

Moral of the story is always save money to perform maintenance-expect big outlays ever 60-80 miles because of shocks. I know it's easy to get use to the simple oil and transmission changes/air filter. When you buy tires, think about the cost per mile.

So here is the last word from me. If you have been diligent and been doing your maintenance, then yes, it's absolutely worth it to invest $350-$700 on shocks. I would say the same thing if it was 20 years. If you take care of your car and treat it right, you should get 30 years or 300,000 miles out of it... whatever comes first.

Check the belts, check the bearings, check the joints, check the boots every time you get your oil. You will mitigate most of your major repairs. You want a nice car where you know the history and are confident it will take you there. Look at the prices of cars now. Many of my friends have gone through three cars in the 10 years I owned m Camry. It's a lot of money to toss away just for not planning or budgeting for regular maintenance.

I hope this helps someone :-)
  • honezk9honezk9 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem.. Right around 40000 miles. Im my case the dealership did nothing for me. Ive contacted Toyota.. At first it seemed like they were going to do something, but they havent yet. Ive lloked at all the strut manufactures, such as monroe, an no one make a strut for the 07 camry yet (because they shouldnt need them yet). I refuse to put the toyota junk back on, especially if Im only going to get 40000 miles out of it. I recently looked at airbags for it, they were a little expensive, but seem like a worthwile upgrade. I also looked at trading it in on a Fusion. I even took the Fusion for a test drive. Wish I would have looked at it first, there was no comparison, although the Fusion was more expensive.

Mine is a 2007, and I bough the extended warranty. This will be my last Toyota.
  • duck928duck928 Member Posts: 3
    I have a questions about the 98 Camry rattle.
    I change the rear sway bar links and bushings, noise still there.
    This started about 6month ago, when going over bumps, like small bumps in the road and manhole cover it sounds like the rear suspension is going to come out from under the car. I'm looking at replacing the Struts, the car has only 91120 miles on it, not abused, regular maintenance done on the car.
    Any Ideas on what can be causing this terrible rattle.
    bad strut
  • busterbunnybusterbunny Member Posts: 16
    I also have a 2007 Camry LE. Currently i have about 39K, and been through 5 struts alrealdy. And currently 2 more in the front is leaking. I called Toyota up cause the dealer said it was not bad at 34.5K even though it was leaking. But it's leaking more now at 39K. They said they will call me back. My friend also have the same 07 Camry, he have gone through 6 struts, and 2 more is being replace. Anyone have anymore of these experience? I think 07 Camry should be recall for "defective" struts!
  • toyman5toyman5 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 Toyota Camry with 37,000 miles...3 struts are leaking. Outrageous
    I'm getting the New Motor Vehicle Board, Comsumer mediation services to help. You can call them at 916-445-1888. Struts should not be going bad/leaks so early like that. I'm going to exhaust all my options. Let me know how things go for you. If not you can email me at allen.lao@gmail.com to see what we can help each other with.
  • toyman5toyman5 Member Posts: 4
    I live in NY...I don't think we have a New Motor Vehicle Board, consumer mediation service but I'm interested to hear what happens with your situation.
  • brightbeambrightbeam Member Posts: 1
    I replaced struts on a 1999 LE and this did not solve the problem. Here's a link that probably identifies the real culprit. http://204.16.221.2/direct/view/.ee9950e/2000.

Good luck.
  • duck928duck928 Member Posts: 3
    I replaced all 4 struts on my 1998 Camry. Noise went away for a short time,, It is starting to come back, put not as bad. The noise is coming from the rear of the car.
    Could it be the rear springs are weak or the rear bushing need changed?
  • ben_caben_ca Member Posts: 2
    Went to the dealership for basic oil change yesterday morning for my 2009 Camry Hybrid. The dealership found that ALL 4 struts are leaking and need to be replaced. The leaking oil past the spring base. The costs to replace the structs are $550 for the front and $680 for the rear struts. They told me that the car is out of warranty since it has 36013 miles, which is 13 miles over and that I only did the basic oil change. I was very upset. I thought Toyota is reliable and that the struts should last more than 80K. And I thought my car is still under warranty. I argued with them that the leaking must have started before 36K since all 4 struts are leaking now. They told me that Toyota is very strict on their warranty mileage and my car is 13 miles over and there is nothing they can do. I am very upset with the dealership. I really don't believe that I should pay to replace the struts. Please let me know if anyone has the similar experience and how to resolve it.
    It's the struts mounts. I've used to have a 97 camry, and i had noise on mine too. Replaced the strut mounts, noise went away.
    Like my last posting on here. I also have a 2007 Camry LE, I've replaced total of 5 struts alrealdy. Toyota says that it's normal. Then how the "hel" would you know the struts are bad until the tires are wearing. I think it's a defect in the struts. Just owners are not paying attention to it until it's too late. I'm going to try to bring my case to a couple of agencys. Let see what they can do. Try calling Toyota to see what they can do for you. Doesn't hurt to try it out. :mad:
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    "They told me that Toyota is very strict on their warranty mileage and my car is 13 miles over and there is nothing they can do."

That is not true - they should have told you what I will tell you:

I bet you that if you call Toyota directly and nicely explain the situation that they will cover it under warranty. I did this about 5 years ago and they very nicely covered a seat belt button that was sticking down - it was about 3 months past the warranty. Toyota will call the dealer and give them authorization.

Also, how many miles did your car have on it when you took delivery? I bet at least 5, could be more than 13, so that's another good "argument" point.

After you get this covered, I'd have a talk with the Service Manager and/or the General Manger of the dealer.
  • ben_caben_ca Member Posts: 2
    I called the Toyota Customer Experience and opened the case with them. I explained my situation to the agent on the phone. He said that Toyota will cover it under warranty. After that I called the dealership again. At first,the service person still told me that it is not covered. Then I escalated it to the service manager and told them that I opened the case already and that Toyota agreed it should be covered. They finally backed down and told me to bring in the car and they will fix it. I think that the toyota struts definitely are defected. If you have a Toyota camry, please have them inspected before the warranty expires.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Great, just as I expected. Now ask yourself why your dealer didn't know that, or maybe they didn't want you to know that? I'd really be suspicious of ANYTHING your dealer tells you!! If you can, go to a different one.

My '07 struts are not leaking, but I will keep an eye on them.

You can send a thank-you check to me at.... :shades:
  • jdzwjdzw Member Posts: 2
    I have an '08 XLE with just under 54K miles and was just told I have a leaking rear strut - the dealer is going to charge me more than $500 to fix it!!! When I stated that it seemed early for the struts to be having a problem, I was met with complete indifference. Any luck with the New Motor Vehicle Board?

And before that, I reported problems with the transmission shifting - also to be told it was "typical" and thanks to this site, have discovered that there is a technical bulletin that I can walk in with and make them fix that problem at least.

Anyone have problems with their passenger seat belts not working properly? In response to this complaint, all they did was lube it...
    I have not heard anything from them yet. Last week I check, the person that's handling my case said they sent a letter to Toyota. Toyota might call me and talk to me. But I will keep you posted. If you want, you can email me directly allenlao75@yahoo.com. Let'w work toyota to see what we can help each other with. Toyota is building crappy cars. At least seems for 07 Camry.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    You don't have to have the dealer do the work. No doubt, a reputable independent shop could replace one strut for less. At 54K miles, I wouldn't sweat it. An independent shop generally also has access to TSBs.

What exactly is wrong with the front? passenger seat belt?