Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Fuel and Fuel System Questions

liaisonliaison Member Posts: 49
Can anyone tell me if the V6 Camry requires premium unleaded?

Comments

• just1garyjust1gary Member Posts: 1
    The 3.3 & 3.0 V6 engines can use 87 Octane, but the Owner's Manual states: "For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 or higher is recommended". Go figure!

I typically use 87 in my 2004 SE V6 (3.3) for normal driving to work and back, without any engine knocking, but I do use higher octane when I'm traveling on long drives. In southern California I like being able to drive/pass slower cars/trucks quickly especially when I'm going up a steep hill.
  • cpocpo Member Posts: 23
    Not that I'm unimpressed by my 99's performance, but would it help or hurt to use 91 octane in this 2.2L four cyl.? Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    It won't help the car's performance to use premium gas in the 4-cylinder. Save your money.
  • solaraman2003solaraman2003 Member Posts: 92
    FYI...

I changed my FUEL FILTER at about 15k. I bought the part myself at Toyota (I think it was about $20-$35) and installed it myself.

I'm now approaching 45k and I expect I'll do it again as soon as the weather gets warmer (it's 3 degrees here today!).

In order to do this, you need a special wrench called a FLARE NUT WRENCH. DO NOT attempt to do this unless you're using this tool.

You CERTAINLY need to use TWO wrenches simultaneously, but I don't remember if the second one HAD TO BE a flare-nut type.

It probably takes anywhere from 20-60 minutes to do the job, and you should EXPECT that you will have gas leaking out for a few moments.

The most important thing is to make sure that when you're attaching the new filter you get a PROPER SEATING of the nut. If you don't, you'll be in BIG trouble. SO....don't force it and take a very close look to make sure it is going on properly.
  • makarandmakarand Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I ve bought a 2005 Camry. Is there a maximum speed recommended
    for new vehicle fo first 1000 miles or so ?

-Makarand Vaidya
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    No, no maximum speed, but just for the first 1,000 miles vary the speed occasionally. So don't set your cruise control in NYC and drive to LA. Seriously, just vary the speed by 5-10mph every 15 minutes or so when you're driving.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • makarandmakarand Member Posts: 3
    Thanks ! In fact I was planning to drive from NJ to Niagara and
    wud probably ve put cruise for extended periods of time.
    I wont use it this time then. Got good advice in nick of time !

Thanks again.

-Makarand
    You're welcome.

Glad I could help and I'm surprised (maybe not) that your sales consultant didn't go over this with you when you picked up your car.

Ken
    I would further add that you should seriously consider taking back roads instead of interstates, if you have the time. It's difficult to vary your speed all that much on interstates, especially considering the high speeds traffic moves on these roads. On back roads, you do more climbing, descending, and slowing down for towns and sharp curves.

I did this on a recent trip from VA to IN, since my car only had 600 miles to start. I took 2-lane roads through the mountains of West Virginia.
  • ektaekta Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum and toyota camry ( i bought it 3 weeks back) i got a used 1996 camry. My question is what is the recommended fuel (octane level) for 1996 camry. i've been trying to look it up on the internet, but it was of no help. I'm currently putting 89. Please advise.
    Thank you

Ekta :)
    87 octane is the mimimum required.

Ken
  • grant2grant2 Member Posts: 30
    My 2000 Camry LE gas pedal, sometimes, sticks, and hesitates when depressed. In order to accelerate, forcible pressure is sometimes necessary, which leads to accelerating quicker than normal. Any ideas?
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Most likely the throttle plate needs cleaning. It's located where the flexible hose from air cleaner meets the metal throttle body. Remove the hose and sparingly use carb cleaner and Q-tips to clean the around the plate, the plate pivots, and where the plate contacts the throttle body. Carbon buildup causes the stickiness, it is not the throttle cable sticking.
  • grant2grant2 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for the advice. Paid $2 for carb cleaner. No problem since following your instructions. Before getting your advice, a dealer service mechanic said it would cost at least $50.
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    Just did a tune-up on my Camry but I am hesitant to R&R the fuel filter (I have already bought one).

When I unbolt the In and Out lines will gas spurt out? How do I prevent gas from streaming out?

Can I unbolt the In line from the engine bay or is it usually accessed from under the car? The Out line looks easily accessible from the top of the engine bay.

I rather not go to a garage or dealer for this fuel filter change.

Thanks in advance for any step by step instructions or advice. John
  • natek1natek1 Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 Camry (only 70k miles) has had a horrible sulfur smell whenever the engine has to kick into gear to pass or go up a hill. When the sunroof is open, it is unbearable. It comes through the vents when the roof is closed, so I get the smell no matter what.
    I took it in to a dealership years ago (I bought it used and it was out of warranty) and was given the "service bulletin" regarding it and told that there was nothing I could do (recommended to change gas brands, which I have done with no success).
    Most will say it is the catalytic converter, but I know this is a common problem with Toyotas (the service bulletin confirmed it) and the converter is "too efficient". A buddy bought a new Lexus SUV a few years ago and noticed the same issue. The Dealer replaced the converter with a "less efficient" one rather than take the SUV back.
    My question is ... is there a solution to my problem? I don't mind replacing the converter if it resolves it but I'm not sure it will. My car was originally built for California and I know they have higher emission standards. I've had a shop adjust and replace other emission parts but no help.
    I really like the Toyota -- any thoughts on how to fix??
  • bildowbildow Member Posts: 100
    Have you tried going to a muffler shop and have them put on a higg flo catalytic converter this allows the converter to pass the gases quicker and usually no smell. I have had the same problem here in California and replaced my converter and no more problems. :shades:
  • awpawp Member Posts: 5
    Toyota has had this problem for years. My 2002 Camry has this same problem. There is a TSB (EG013-04)for 02-04 that includes a replacement cat and reflashing the PCM. The fix did not work on my car, and now Toyota is saying there's nothing they can do. I suggest you contact EPA in Ann Arbor Michigan and find out what they are doing about earlier model years. They are the ones that pressured Toyota to come up with a fix for the 02s. Toyota is reluctant because there's so many cars out there with the problem .

As far as using a different fuel, that will only have a limited effect. The entire country is going to low sulphur fuel soon so that might help if you are in an area that doesn't already have low sulphur fuel.
  • venkynvenkyn Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 99 used camry with 37000 miles on it (Evans, Georgia). When i start the car in the morning, I get a blue colored emission from tail pipe that lasts a 5 seconds after which it is colorless. What is this blue colored emission due to ?
    The engine sounds smooth (no odd noises), drives very smooth.

thanks
    VEnky
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Blue colored smoke is typically a little bit of oil that has seeped past the valve stems/seals and into the cylinder. When you start it, it burns the oil up and shoots it out your tailpipe. Would be surprised that you'd have that problem with only 37K miles, typically that occurs which much higher mileage vehicles.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Black smoke - overly rich fuel mixture
    Blue smoke - burning motor oil
    White "smoke" - normal exhaust system condensation being evaporated and blown out into the cold morning air where it instantly condenses back into a white vapor

Blue smoke, even confined to cold startup, is not a good sign on a car with such low accumulated miles. Your car was manufactured at a time (from about 1995 through 2002) when Toyota had some premature engine sludge problems with Camry 4 and 6 cylinder motors. Toyota recommended normal service oil changes a bit longer than the oils of the day would safely sustain for everyday driving. The company's since scaled back to 5,000 miles from the 7,500 mile oil and filter changes it once recommended. Toyota accepted responsibility and repaired or replaced engines as needed under a warranty extension if database service records or owners showed evidence of oil changes performed per owner's manual recommendations. Take your car to a Toyota dealership and request they check their service database to see if your car was serviced through Toyota dealers. You may be entitled to repairs. If the previous owner did his own service or had the car serviced through an independent shop, unless you can supply receipts for materials or service, you may be on your own. Good luck.
    Both kiawah and ray_h1 have good advice. I'd add that you can have blue smoke on startup without sludge -- my '97 Camry did. Here's a recap from the Toyota Oil Sludge thread (closed) that I wrote in 2001:

At 57K miles (last summer), the car developed blue smoke on startup. The problem was diagnosed as worn valve stem seals, which were replaced by the local Toyota dealer. At the same time, the head gasket was replaced, because coolant "seepage" onto the outside of the engine block was discovered. All work was done under the terms of the 60K powertrain warranty. The oil and filter was changed at the same time.

I had receipts of most (not all) oil and filter purchases and a detailed handwritten maintenance log, so I got no flak from the dealer about negligence.

Before the work started, the dealer said he'd check for sludge, without me broaching the subject. Luckily my engine was determined to be "fairly clean."

I have also noted in this thread that Toyota with its 2001 models still has a severe service oil change interval of 5000 miles, but they also have a separate card warning of sludge build up if the needed maintenance is ignored.

Still, I'd have your car checked because although you can ignore valve stem seals for the time being, you can't ignore sludge! With such low miles on a relatively old car, it wouldn't surprise me that the oil wasn't changed often enough (in terms to time, obviously not mileage).

BTW, my car started smoking again on startup at 102K miles, but I didn't do anything about it and sold the car at 111K miles disclosing the problem.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    You have already received some good advice, but I wanted to add that if it is engine sludge you may have other signs. Check your oil level to see if your car is consuming oil. If your oil level is dropping dramatically after adding oil and you do not see any visible signs of oil loss, it could be sludge. Sometimes the check engine light will come on, but at that point you could have some signficant engine damage. Also, sometimes you can actually tell it is sludged on the dip stick (thick chunky oil). The only way to tell for sure is to have the valve cover pulled.
  • venkynvenkyn Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to all that have replied.

Is there a dramatic difference in oil consumption between
    (a) valve stem seals leak
    versus
    (b) engine oil sludge ?

If there is a valve stem leak, how much oil is typically consumed ? a quart every 3000 miles ?

Venky
    Having had the faulty valve stem seals (twice on the same car), I can say that there will be NO noticeable oil consumption. As I said earlier, the second time it happened (at 102K miles), I did not have the engine repaired. I kept the car till 111K miles, and it continued to use no oil between changes.

Sludge is a much more serious issue -- as to whether there's excessive oil consumption, I think it depends on how much sludge there is and where it's concentrated.
    It really depends on the severity of the valve stem seal (and/or guide) leakage. I've seen engines with valve stem seal leakage bad enough to burn a full quart of oil every 500 miles. One observation that can be made is to follow a car suspected of having a valve stem seal problem down a moderately steep hill. If the suspect car is trailing blue smoke when the piston rings are vacuum loaded from little or no throttle, it's because motor oil is being drawn past the valve stem seals into the combustion chambers. When smoke under negative load happens, it's time to pull the cylinder head(s) and have a machine shop rebuild it/them.
  • chevymalibuchevymalibu Member Posts: 129
    Not sure if this has been asked (sorry if it has). Can 2005 camry LE's use this fuel. I've checked the net and it's mostly trucks and vehicles made by GM, some others. No sign of honda or toyota vehicles. Thanks.
    No, the Camry cannot use this fuel, including the newest models. It says in the 2004-05 manuals that gasoline containing up to 10% ethanol can be used.
  • penizzlepenizzle Member Posts: 104
    Is my 04' camry supposed to have a fuel pump prime, because on all of my other cars it primes but not this one, but it does run good. If you turn the Ignition to the ON position, do you hear a small whiring from the back of the car for a few seconds. Im confused becasue according to my manual, to check fuel pressure you have to have the prime. ANYBODY CHECk for your prime, regarless of year. Although i have a 93 but it isnt suposed to.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Yes,the noise is the fuel pump. Fuel injected cars will prime when the key is turned on.Why are you concerned with fuel pump pressure if there is nothing wrong with the way the car is running?
    Perhaps you dont understant. My camry doesnt have the prime. Every year, my manual suggests checking fuel pressure and to do that, i need the prime according to the manual. I know enough about cars to the point where i know what is going on.
    At the risk of alienating you (and no one is implying you're not knowledgeable), if your fuel pump wasn't able to achieve prime when the ignition switch is turned on, your engine wouldn't run at all. There has to be a minimally nominal 32-35 psi for the injectors to work. Whether you can actually hear the brief groan in the cabin as the fuel pressure spools up may be related to your own hearing abilities depending on age, prior illness, etc. You might try removing the fuel filler cap and remaining close by the open fill tube while someone else turns on the ignition switch from the driver's seat. (ONLY attempt this procedure in open air!) By having more immediate access to the noise the fuel pump makes in operation, you may be able to verify the fuel pump priming up to nominal pressure. Regardless, if you can start and drive the car, the fuel pump has achieved prime.
    I guaruntee that my hearing isn't bad. I'm only 15. The system only pressurizes when the pump recieves cranking signals from the engine to the PCM, so depending on the set of of your PCM, it may prime or it may not, but if there is no prime, it can still start because MPFI vehicles dont lose all fuel pressure when not running. Yes this is weird to hear from a 15 year old, but i am a car nut. :P But now i realize, who cares?? THe car runs and that is all that matters. :shades:
  • jpclanjpclan Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 Toyota Camry and we can't figure this one out. Filling up the car takes forever because the pump keeps cutting off. No matter where we fill up this happens. Always thought the cut off was a function of back pressure from the tank, but this happens all the time no matter how we manipulate the pump. Any ideas?
    Check for a damaged fill pipe as it could be kinked allowing slow fuel fillup. The fill pipe is the large blck pipe that goes from the place ou put gas in to the side of the fuel tank Easy replacement if that is the problem.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    or there is a vent valve and reclaimation filter assembly. it could be the vent valve is not working properly, or the vent line is kinked.

as penizzle is describing, anything which prevents displacement of the air in the tank when the fuel is going in will build a back pressure as you said causing it to be sensed in the pump nozzle and cause the pump to stop.

the place to start is the filler tube as was mentioned. if it isn't that, then i've provided what i think is the other most likely possibility.

on some cars, i think they have an internal bladder in the fuel tank. possibly if you run them too low, it's a problem to get them to open/expand back out. not sure about that, but i don't think you're vehicle has that sort of thing.
  • bigman07bigman07 Member Posts: 1
    I have a big problem and I want either of you to either email me the problem back or post it in the room...ok

I was driving my car down the street to a friend's Home and all of a sudden it stopped in front of the road,so one of my buddy's mechanic friend checked it out for me,to see what was wrong and he didnt know the problem.this is what happened... I started to crank it up just to see will it start but no results, my mechanic looked inside the engine into one of the spark plugs to our surprise.. gas drowned out the spark plugs leaving it black ... the question is, if you crank your ride and gas shoots inside your spark plugs and drowns them everytime what could be the problem.. i need a answer ASAP.. Please!!!
  • baylentheskybaylenthesky Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I realized this isn't the exact place to post but I think the problem might be related to the fuel injector (I'm no car expert so don't go flaming on me if it isn't :)
    Ok, every time I start up my 99 Camry LE, the engine would die a few seconds later unless I depress the throttle a little bit (1100 RPM or more). After a minute or two I can release the throttle and the engine will idle just fine, without dying. So what exactly is the problem? Could it be the fuel injector pumping an insufficient amount of fuel into the engine? Thanks in advance for any help!
    It sounds like you spark plugs arent firing or are weak. Also, you fuel mixture may be too rich, which would be caused by the fuel pressure regulator.
  • smile1017smile1017 Member Posts: 37
    I have a 99 Camry LE as well and the problem is the idle control. Mine has gone out completely (happens everytime I tried to start the car) once and was starting to go out (only happens in certain situations like 100+F weather) the last time I took it into the mechanic. Mine has gone out about every 60K but I do a lot of driving here in Cali. The fix is relatively cheap $150 at an independent Toyota specialist. Don't take it to the dealer because they charge way more for the labor. If you are handy you may want to download the manual in the "Camry Manuals" thread and see if it gives you some instructions. :)
  • rxguy1588rxguy1588 Member Posts: 1
    "check engine light" diagnosis says rust around filler cap of"02 XLE requires replacing entire pipe ($260+).
    any less -expensive solution available?
  • bryceabrycea Member Posts: 5
    My check engine light came on then I noticed that I was having trouble fueling pumps keep tripping off as if full 2005 camry 68,000 miles never had any issues before
    unfortunatly, there is no other way to fix your problem.
    Find out what the code is that made the check engine light come on. It is probably related to the EVAp controls on your gas tank.
    how do i do that exactly years a go you could jump a couple of terminal on the diagnostic jack and the light would basic blink out a code I need to go to a shop and plug in
    Your car has to have a hanheld scanner to do the job. Most auto parts stores like auto zone or such will scan and retrieve your codes for free and tell you what the problem is.
    ty
  • bumrushbumrush Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I have a 91 tercel that floods and won't start. replaced the fuel pressure regulator, but as soon as i turn the key the cylinders fill with gas, pull the plugs and they are all wet :mad: has anyone had simular problems? sure would like to keep the car. any suggestions would be appreciated
  • stank1stank1 Member Posts: 1
    I changed the fuel pump on a 96 camry for a friend and cant get it to prime. I hear the pump running, but it isn't getting the pressure I need to start the engine. Am i missing a trick?
    The camry doesn't have a prime. You need to power the fuel pump directly from the battery by using jumpers. If the pump is running but isn't gettin good pressure, then you installed the wrong fuel pump, or your fuel filter may be plugged.