Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Interior

2»

Comments

• jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    The sunroof on my 2005 Camry SE V6 does not open fully. I'm not sure if this is by design or if there is something wrong with it. When the button is pressed to open it, it retracts maybe 80% and then stops along with the sunroof cover. The cover can go back into the roof completely, but the glass does not retract completely into the roof. Is this normal? I have recently acquired this car so I am unsure of how it operates. It may be in the owners manual however I do not have access to it right now.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    This is normal -- the glass doesn't open all the way. (I have an '04 LE with sunroof.)

As an aside, if you ever have to disconnect or replace the battery (or the "Power No. 1" fuse in the lower left dashboard), follow EXACTLY the procedure for "initializing" the sunroof in your owner's manual once the battery or fuse is reinstalled.

Ask me how I know this!
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    Thanks for the information 210delray.
  • shop4shop4 Member Posts: 17
    My daughter drives a 1997 Camry XLE with a factory installed sunroof. Last Spring it started leaking on the right side and did a good job of soaking the carpet in both the front and back. I removed the interior moldings and tried to clean out the foward drain. It seemed to work for a few months, but the leak is back. Can you recommend a reputable repair center that will not rip me off? Can you tell me how to fix this. We live on Long Island, NY.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Many newer sunroofs retract partially with an auto stop built in, for safety, both ways.

Try activating the switch manually when it stops, and see if this does the trick. ;)
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Member Posts: 113
    What ever happened to the Red and Blue interiors of cars? Why have auto manufacturers stopped offering those interior colors? The only current car to offer blue interior is the civic hybrid! WHAT HAPPENED?
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Interior color choices are usually limited to light tan & light grey these days. I personally would like to see more black interiors.
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Member Posts: 113
    but do u know why they no longer offer those colors?
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Must be based on sales & marketing statistics. The old blue & burgundy plush velour interiors probably wouldn't sell in today's market.

A lot of people want their cars to look like a Lexus or BMW...those cars only come with black, grey, or tan interiors. Also, much easier to mass produce only 2 or 3 interior colors.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    The fewer options on interior colors, the more cost effective production is.

Most select lighter interior color, like tan, with greens and reds, and darker colors with black interior. Some colors come with either back or tan/cream.

It is merely a cost measure, not preferences of buyers. It is an option their research showed wouldn't make someone not buy, so it was removed to save money. Check out Mercedes for the four or five interior color options, but then you are paying $70,000 + for it. Sorry allcarscool, but mercedes offers many interior choices. ;)
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    My last car is a Honda with black interior which I like but am not wild about. I refused to buy a 03 04 Camry because of the poor selection of interior colors I was very tired of gray.
  • wolfborowolfboro Member Posts: 6
    We need to remove the foldable rear seat temporarily to carry a long item . I saw two bolts at the back of the each seat attached to brackets at each side. Also, I saw a "hook" which appeared to be an integral part of the bracket that was engaged in a hole . I am not sure about the procedure , I appreciate any input . Thank you.

Ken
  • znn94xznn94x Member Posts: 2
    I went through the car wash, and they moved the passenger seat all the way forward when they cleaned the interior. After driving away, I found that it is stuck fully forward and won't move back at all. Other power seat functions are normal (up/down/recline, etc...) only the movement forward/backward is affected. When the switch is pushed I can hear and feel the motor trying to move the seat but there is no movement. I've checked the track and don't see anything blocking it, I've also tried sitting in the seat and pushing with my legs when activating the switch - no luck there either. Any other ideas before I take it to the dealer?
    Maybe you ought to go back to that car wash and tell them what happened. The repair cost should be on their dime, although convincing them will get harder the longer you wait.
  • znn94xznn94x Member Posts: 2
    I tried the car was the next day, they're not going to take responsibility (and aren't going to get any more of my business either).
  • mikeb47mikeb47 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2007 Camry LE. I want to install an aftermarket "BlueConnect" bluetooth set in the overhead. I need to run one wire from the sunglass case area to an "accessories" wire. I need to pry off the cover on the drivers side forward window post between the windshield and the drivers window that houses the side curtain air bag. I'm sort of afraid to mess with the airbag area. Anyone know the secret to removing the cover and reinstalling? Thanks.
  • banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    HI I have some tears in the drivers cloth seat you can actually see the medal that put the rips in the seat. It is a power seat. I was wondering about getting the seat repaired but they said they would have to order an entire seat and since its power the price would be around 3k. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks
    Brent
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I'd try to find a 'pre-owned' seat in a wrecked vehicle from a junk yard....if you want to keep the exact same look.
    You're correct in being wary. The side airbags are not that likely to go off, but it can be tricky getting the plastic trim removed. For safety's sake though, I'd make sure the keys are out of the ignition for at least 10 minutes before starting the work.

This trim is just clipped on. But you're going to have to pull/pry harder than you like, and there is a possibility of breaking one or more clips (or the trim itself), so you may want to get someone knowledgeable in this area to help you.

I have older Camrys ('04 and '05) and these have the side curtain airbag inflators in the C-pillars (behind the rear doors); there is just a tether in the front pillars.
  • 4thtoyota4thtoyota Member Posts: 1
    The sunroof on my 1997 Camry doesn't close all the way. The glass panel doesn't seem to move quite far enough forward. The rear edge of the panel, on the passenger side, gets hung up on the roof opening. Are there instructions anywhere on how to adjust?
    First consult your owner's manual and follow the instructions exactly for "initializing" the moonroof. My 2004-05 Camrys have such instructions, not sure if the '97 will.

If this doesn't work (and it sounds like it may not), you're going to have to see a professional (doesn't have to be the dealer), just someone you trust or has a good reputation according to friends, relatives, or co-workers.
  • dchen2003dchen2003 Member Posts: 34
    I am looking for some leather care products to protect my leather interior. I have seen some product make the leather shiny and greasy, but that is not what I want. I need something which can protect the leather, at the same time I still want it looks not greasy. Are most of the stock camry come with leather and Viney combination? Is the leather care product can use on both surfaces?

Thanks for any suggestion and recommadation
  • mundsmunds Member Posts: 3
    Hi i just bought my daughter a 1998 camry LE and the center colesole is broken.Is there other years of camry that will fit this year console?

Thank You for your help
    1997 through 1999 are identical, and 2000-01 may also be the same.
  • mundsmunds Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your reply
  • dooreeroodooreeroo Member Posts: 5
    Hey everyone,

I'm going to be purchasing a Camry LE, but would like to buy wood trim parts for the LE. I basically want the exact wood trim on the XLE. Know any good accessory stores for good prices. :P
  • yulcyulc Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem with my 02 camry, just wandering if you already fix it let me know how. and if anybody know how to do this please reply ASAP. thanks a lot.
  • almonte8708almonte8708 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 camry XLE. Im replacing the driver side interior door handle trim. I have the new part but i need to paint to match exactly with the original color. Its beige in color. Thats all I know. Ive been looking everywhere online but i just cant find it. Those anyone where can i find it? Thanx
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I'd check a dealership for paint
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Hi, I recently test drove a fully loaded 2010 XLE V6 with nav and I have to say that the interior in this camry was pretty nice looking. I know the earlier models in 2007 and 2008 had some quality issues and some didn't like it but I think Toyota did a nice job on the refresh for 2010 in correcting the quality issues, panel gaps, and darkening the wood grain in the cabin that plagued earlier models that last few years. I feel the materials in the 2010 XLE made for a quite luxury feel to the cabin and bringing it back closer to Toyota quality and ergonomics!
  • jmgarjmgar Member Posts: 7
    The passenger side interior door handle plastic lever snapped on my 2002 Camry.

I can buy a replecement for $20 or so online. Has there been any recall on these ? It would seem dangerous to be unable to open the door from inside in an accident.

How difficult is it to remove the old plastic interior latch unit ? Do you just pry the unit out to replace, or have you got to disassemble surrounding upholstery panels ?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Usually you can buy these replacements at the dealer, yes. Most of them come out by prying off the plastic shield behind the handle (the shield where your fingernails touch the plastic) and there is usually one or two phillips screws there.

I haven't worked on your particular car, so in some cases you'll have to pop the door panel off to detach the handle from the activating lever. You'll have to get in there and poke around. Also when you see the new part that should tip you off.

Plastic breaks on 7 year old cars. That's normal wear and tear on a part that takes a lot of abuse.
  • jmgarjmgar Member Posts: 7
    Thanks. I saw some on line. Not too expensive ($20 delivered) . I'll check the dealers price as well. When I get it, I'll see if I want to pop it on myself. Shouldn't be too much trouble.
This discussion has been closed.