Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Lighting

92camry92camry Member Posts: 1
Help. I have a 92 camry that we purchased from a relative. it has the manual but no info on how to adjust the head lights. I have not been able to locate more than one screw and it does not seem to do anything.

Comments

• canoe2canoe2 Member Posts: 128
    Anyone installed fog lights for 2002-2003 Camry LE ?
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    is it even possible to install fog lights on the 2002/3 camry LE?
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    slov98 - I think you can install one. But it is not listed an an accessory for 2002/2003 Camry LE (standard on SE and XLE). But someone sold this for about $250 on ebay. Why don't you check with the folks at your local Toyota dealer or www.camelbacktoyotaparts.com for part number and instruction. They have been very helpful when I was checking with some parts for my 03 Camry SE.

I think you need to buy a separate switch for the lights. The factory switch is located at the turn indicater (near the headlight on/off switch). I don't know how the switch look like. I hope this helps.
  • rev4rev4 Member Posts: 38
    I pursued fog lights for my 2002 xle and this is what I found. You cannot get factory fog lights to intall on your camry. There is no kit. However, this will intall other brands. I decided against it as it all started to sound complicated and contradictory.....so, depends on how bad you need/want them.
    rev4 - That's what I thought. But the one that I saw on ebay came with wires. I didn't ask the guy for more details because I don't need one.

slov98 - Try the website and ask them everything you need for a fog light kits on SE and XLE, pretending you are replacing the fog light lens assemble, brackets, wires, switch and screws & bolts because of an accident or something. That's properly cost you couple hundreds because you buy them separately. Plus there is no guarantee it will fit. If you are very into it, ask the people in the auto body shop for the 2002-2003 Toyota Camry service manual. You can buy one from your dealer. The manual should tell you what you need and the part number. Well, I think it is just for look. It is nice when they are on. But Toyota is not offering this even as an accessary, same thing with the Highlander (non-Limited) or any base model. After all, why not consider aftermarket fog lights like PIAA.
  • artc1688artc1688 Member Posts: 7
    I would like to install a HID on my 03' Camry LE.
    Any suggestions?? I am looking for something that requires no modifications... is this doable?

Thanks
    I am sure you have to do some modification for HID. Or you can replace the stock bulbs (9006 = low beam, 9005 = high beam) with the super white (xenon) bulbs by PIAA, Sylvania, MTEC. But be carefully when you choice these bulbs. Always buy the one with the same wattage as the factory recommended like 12V 55W.

If you are interested to switch the rear turn signal bulbs with super white bulb. The spec. for the rear turn signal bulb is 921, same as the tail lights and back up lights. Have fun!
    I have checked the Toyota dealer for fog lights, and it is possible to be installed by dealer.
    There are pre_wires for the fog lights, and I do not think any hardwares are needed. The only difficult part is to replace head light on/off switch and I have no idea how to do it.
    I think the Camry is better look with fog lights instead of plastic covers. Also it would be useful in northern climate (snowing).
    There is not much different in price for factory vs. aftermarket foglights.
    I may consider to have Toyota dealer to install.
  • rev4rev4 Member Posts: 38
    It might be different in canada, but in the U.S. you can't get factory intalled fog lights. No kit for it. You can get after market.
    Folks - Please tell us if you have any info on Toyota OEM fog lights. My friend wants to install one on his 02 Camry LE. Yes. It is better looking on my Camry SE (also on XLE) instead of plastic covers on LE. Yes. The turn signal indicator must be replaced with the one has fog lights on/off switch.
    I just have made special order from Toyota dealership for fog lights.
    Part numbers are: 81210-AA010 and 81220-AA010. The total cost is about $300 US. It will take approximate 2 days for delivery.
    I will try to figure out how to replace the turn signal handle before ordering the one with fog light switch. If it is too dificult to change, I would leave it for dealer.
    I have installed fog lights by myself. The process for installation was about 30-45 minutes.
    They are working perfectly.
    canoe2 - The fog lights are standard on my Camry SE. But I am interested how you install and necessary parts (with parts numbers) and tools that you have used. So I can show it to my friend who has a 2002 Camry LE. I think the difficult part must be changing the headlight switch.
    This is for 2002/3 LE without fog lights
    Part number:
    - Fog Lights left and right: 81210-AA010 and 81220-AA010

- Turn signal level with fog lights (this part is for car with Auto head light (without DRL)) check with your Toyota dealer: 84140-48020
    - Fog light relay: 90987-02020

Tools:

- Flat head screw driver
    - Philip screw driver

Procedure:
    a) Remove plastic covers: By pushing outer edge, the plastic cover should pop out easily
    b) Wire connection with connector: The wires should be hanging above the fog light openings
    c) Fitting fog lights: Plug connectors to fog lights align with outer edge first then push the inner edge. You should hear a click to confirm the fog light locks in the bumper.
    d) Remove steering plastic housing: There are 2 Phillip screws to secure the housing. They are underneath steering wheel. By turning steering -90deg, the screw on right side can be removed and +90deg on steering wheel, the left screw can be removed.
    There are two pieces of plastic for the housing: top one and bottom one. Use flat head screwdriver, start from left side opening between seam, and try not to make mark on the plastic. The bottom part can be removed for accessing to switch
    e) Change turn signal switch: unplug the connector from level turning switch, pushing down the center switch to disengage its body from the frame, then the switch can be pull out.
    f) Put on relay: Open compartment fuse panel, all the relays are on opposite (back) side of fuse panel. You should see an empty location is for fog light relay (most top right). Plug in the relay for fog lights.
    g) Install fog light switch, now you should be able to see the fog light works
    canoe2 - Thanks for the info. I noticed I have to turn on the headlights in order to get the foglights on. It won't turn on even on only DRL is on.
  • foundrymanfoundryman Member Posts: 1
    It's interesting to have watched canoe2's installation of fog lights on his Camry step
    by step. Thanks for the info.

Canoe2, can you tell me where did you get the Turn Signal Level with Fog Lights, 84140-48020, and the Fog Light Relay, 90987-02020.
    Anyone know how to change the fog light bulbs on Camry SE? I couldn't reach my hand under the front bumper.
    foundryman: All parts you can get from Toyota dealership. They got my parts within 24 hrs.

lok888: You have to remove the fog light(s) from bumper for changing the light bulb(s). There is a clip on one side of fog light, reach to the clip then squeeze it to disengage fog light assembly from the bumper.
    Thanks. But do I need to jack up the car (front wheels) for better hand position and reach from my hand underneath the front bumper or just reach my hands from the top of the engine compartment?
    You can reach it from top of engine comparment.
    canoe2 - I tried to reach the light bulbs and it was impossible. First, you can't reach from underneath the front bumper. It is well covered with the plastic board. Second, there isn't much space if reach from the top. Then I grabbed the owners manual and they say to go to the dealer if the fog lights and license plate lights are out. I guess they simply remove the plastic board and reach from the bottom.
  • rhdrocrhdroc Member Posts: 22
    I have a 03 Camry LE V-6 and wish to add the fog light package BUT I've noticed several posts that say they're not available from Toyota as an add-on accessory. On the other hand, I've noticed several posts that not only say it's possible but give the part numbers and detail instructions on their installation.

So, in the US, can you order the fog light kit from Toyoya as an add-on accessory?? Any idea of what Toyota charges for the kit??

Thanks---<Rick
    I think they are available but the installation is not as easy as on the 02 I think, you can't pop out the plastic anymore on the 03(compared to 02) from what I've read.
    Try calling the dealer to see if they would install them and how much for the whole process?
    I did contact several dealers and they all claim fog lights cannot be added as an Toyota OEM accessory in an 03. That seems like a contradication to some of the posts on this threat. I've seen lots of after-market fogs but I was after the OEM look. I'm just searching for the truth.
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    I've been wanting to know the same thing myself. I want to add the OEM fog lights, too....
    The manual shows the switch as added to the signal stalk behind the headlight switch. I'd rather have a toggle or push on/off switch on the dash.

Too many people ride around with these lights on all the time. Heard a cop asking some kid in an SUV with two sets of fog lights if he thought he was driving in the country in the middle of nowhere on a deserted road in the fog. Kid said no.. Cop says, THAT'S what they're for! and pronmtly wrote him up a few tickets after finding other violations!

I'll be interested in seeing what the outcome is for you, as I'll probably follow suit.

Maybe Cliffy has a take on this?

Deke
    rhdroc - I think someone from Canada has added the OEM fog lights on his Camry LE. Just look back few messages. Ask him about the part number. I only know the fog light bulbs are 9006 (as same headlight - low bean). Yes. You need to buy a new turn signal indicator (that one from SE or XLE) with a fog light switch. Good luck.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Do a search, someone lsited part numbers and specific deatils on how to install everything from the lights to replacing the stalk in the car...it was very detailed.
    I found a site that sells the fog lights for 2003 camry
    http://www.toyotapartspro.com/
    the OEM part numbers match up with the earlier post in this thread, 81220AA010 and 81210AA010
    each costs US$118.75
    I don't know if you also get the relay switch and everything else you need
    Do you think the aftermarket super white lights from PIAA etc., are worth it? (street legal)

I saw your comments couple pages back, considering these over HIDs, I found this : http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

I wonder what the stock 'temperature' of the lightbulbs is our latest camrys? The bulbs above are 4000K

Thanks
    First of all, the light bulbs specs for 2002-2004 Camry are 9006 (low beam), 9005 (high beam), 9006 (fog lights) and 921 (back up). I have been using MTEC brand on my SUV for months now. MTEC light bulbs are made in Japan and have the same PIAA ratings. PIAA costs you $60 to $80 per pair. I bought mine (MTEC) from ebay for less than $15. I am going to order two sets for my 03 Camry but still try to figure how to remove the fog light bulbs. Be sure to buy those 55W = 100W (4350 K). Sometime they are selling some 100W = 150W, the existing socket and wire may not handle it at all and burn. Always follow the manufacturers' recommendation and never touch the light bulb. I used PIAA on my Accord (car sold) but it was too experience and not too bright. And I have no experience with Sylvania Silver Star. They are also pricy. Good luck.
    after some reasearch I found out these silvestars typically burn out within a year, even the company says they expect to only last about 1 year

There are these sylvania xtravision lights that may be worth considering, claims 20% more output then regular halogen bulb, favorable reviews on several boards, lasts longer and also cheaper.
  • zed421vzed421v Member Posts: 28
    I just put sylvania silverstar low-beams in my 2003 camry-se. They make a big difference. They really lite up the road. I just hope they last more than a year.
  • alguirealguire Member Posts: 6
    "just put sylvania silverstar low-beams in my 2003 camry-se. They make a big difference. They really lite up the road".

I wonder how they affect oncoming traffics ability to see?

ca
    I am not an engineer. Even I put PIAA, MTEC and any HID xenon or plasma light bulbs on my cars, I really can't the different in term of lighting the road. It is sure that makes the headlights are brighter and more white especially when you look behind the rearview mirror and oncoimg traffics. But I still don't get those daylight look on the ground like they showed it on the pictures. I believe those real HID lights on BMW, Lexus or MB have something to do with the lens as well.
    some do notice improvement, I guess if you ride often at night on back roads, you would notice it..or just compare against a wall, keep a stock bulb on one side and change the other to see if it's brighter? BTW do you have an SUV? some reported they don't notice difference on suvs since their lights are already pretty bright
    It is a '03 Kia Sorento. The low beam is H7. The H series must be new within the last few years.
    After putting the MTEC bulbs, it is brighter than the stock bulbs. It has been few month now. I am very satisfied with it and planning to buy the same brand for my Camry. It is an alternative to PIAA and Sylvania Silver Star.
    I went ahead and ordered Philips HiVisibility(aka Premium in Europe) 30% more light claimed, they are brighter than stock, whether it's 30% I can't tell exactly
    btw, advanced auto zone has some current specials on bulbs from sylvania, get 1 regular price, 2nd half off + $6 rebate if anyone interested
    Anyone familiar with the OEM-like after market fog light kits currently being offered by several Ebay merchants?? They appear to be just like OEM fog lights and are selling for about $160.

Thanks!!

I did read the early posts about OEM fog light installation BUT the post(s) deal with Canadian Camrys, not US Camrys. Might there be a difference??
  • solara_pasolara_pa Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have any personal experience with a HID conversion kit for an '04? Most of the kits available will come with HID d2 bulbs rebased into H11 bulbs which will fit into the normal Solara low beams. H11 is fairly hard to come by in re-based HID yet, but's it's out there.

My concern is that most of the importers selling them want a 20% restocking fee or have no return at all. HID bulbs are longer in length sometimes then the regular halogen bulbs... With Toyota's "HID wanna-be" elliptical dome that the bulb goes into, I'm concerned the HID bulb could actually go in too far and bang the front of the dome and not lock in. I'm not willing to spend $450.00 to find out they won't go in thanks to the shape of the '04 headlights.

Any thoughts/experiences?

Thanks
  • wildkid102wildkid102 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, all.
    I want to change fog light bulbs w/ Silverstar.
    Who knows how to switch foglight bulb.
    Please reply or email to wildkid102@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    The owner manual suggested to go to the dealer for service. you can reach down from the engine bay. I can bearly touch the light sockets. But the easy way is to remove the screws on the skip plate, then remove the plate and change it from underneath. BTW, the foglight bulbs are 9006.
  • abranchabranch Member Posts: 1
    I have to replace my headlight on the right side of the car. I want to replace with a used part from auto salvage. What i'm trying to find out is in what year did the headlight change. I have a 2001 toyota carmy. Thanks
  • majordadmajordad Member Posts: 43
    Recently purchased an 05 Odyssey and now my wife has absconded with the new van and the navigation system and XM radio I love. I now find myself tooling around in her 02 Camry LE. We have the sunroof and 15 inch alloys so its not a completely stripped model.

Since it appears this will be my new set of wheels, I need some help in improving the look and ride.

I searched this thread and reviewed the installation of fog lights on a 02/03 Camry by canoe2. Noticed the price for OEM lights was about $300. I believe I can get the same quality on eBay for $105. However, the price for the fog light relay and the turn stalk was not included in the thread. Anyone know how much these items cost?

Also is there a conversion or body kit available to make the Camry look more like a Lexus ES300? Did a few web searches but I'm not interested in the boy racer kits usually offered. (Yea, if I wanted a Lexus I should have bought one, got it. But the lines appear smoother and more refined than the large overhangs offered on most kits.)

Also, my original factory rubber, the cheap Continentals, are on their last leg and I've only got 33K miles on the vehicle. I'm in the market for a grippy all weather tire that won't increase road noise in the cabin. The tire shops in my area seem to be steering me to the Goodyear TripleTred. Anyone have any experience with these tires or have recommendations on suitable replacements? I plan on keeping the 15 inchers since my alloys look pretty good. Hate to fork over another bundle for replacement wheels to upgrade to 16 or 17 inchers.
  • lou2lou2 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know how to install foglights on 2004 LE camry? they are selling foglights on Ebay for around $100, but I was wondering if anyone has installed them yet? In the 2004 Carmy, I believe the foglights are turned on when the headlights go on. The control (on/off) switch in on the turn signal with the headlight switch. If anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Do a search for fog light or go back to message#43.
  • chris198chris198 Member Posts: 4
    Hey Canoe2 are you still visiting the forum, I have a 04 LE-V6 and would definitely like to add fogs to the car. Please let me know if you are available to discuss. Thx!
  • xtrm4x4xtrm4x4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 LE, Leather, wood dash...i love it, i want to add fog lights to it...i read other posts, didnt see anything for the 2k5, the plasic pieces dont pop out, they have to be cut out..has anyone done this, if so, pics, write up, anything would be appreciated. thanks
  • pillmanpillman Member Posts: 3
    Am interested in installing fog lights on my 02le like previous posting there are no pop outs on the fog light area---the plugs are behind the bumper for the lights--i imagine that the relay will be needed and a switch---Anyone with any experience with this installation ?
  • pillmanpillman Member Posts: 3
    You can install the fog lights in such models but expect alot more work. Per previous postings if you do not want to do alot of wiring, the factory harness has the connectors for the fog lights. You have to put in the relay ($50) and install the headlight control w fog light control ($100). The lights themselves go from $ 98 pair (ebay) to $ 150 ea (dealer)

Now for the hard part-there are no mounting brackets behind the plastic bumper shell. You will have to fabricate same from some strip aluminum or iron. The lights have a bolt washer assembly that can be used for this purpose. The hole where the wiring for the fog lights is restrained may be used for the car side attachment. I also made a U bracket to keep the end from sliding out, it just sandwiches the assembly to the plastic. I also siliconed the light assembly to the plastic bumper for water seal and extra security.

Now as to the opening. The best way to cut it out is with a sharp utility knife. Scoring the areas several times until you go through. After cutting you can pry out the piece with a screwdriver. The most critical piece is that the cut must be made just inside the bottom ridge of the depression. If the concave is not left intact the light will slide right through the opening and have nothing to seal against.

Sounds tough, is it worth the fuss----YES YES the look is great and the lighting 100% improved. was glad i had the balls to try it
  • peterpanpeterpan Member Posts: 120
    There are adjustment screws for the head lights behind the light assembly.