Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Lighting

Comments

• totitoti Member Posts: 2
    Hi Pillman, I also like to install fog lamp on my 05 Camry LE. Was there a marked guide or depression on the bumper to correctly cut the the piece? Did you cut it from the inside?
  • camry97camry97 Member Posts: 1
    i own a 97 camry and was looking for halo headlights but i can only find 2000 2001 halo headlights but look almost exactly like 97 headlights on one website it says that 97 through 2001 was generation 4 camry was just wondering if anyone would know if i still can put 00 01 halo headlights on 97 camry
  • 2003lev62003lev6 Member Posts: 5
    I did it !

I ordered a McCulloch "Plug & Play" HID kit for the Camry.

It took 20 minutes to install and it looks AMAZING !!!

Just take out the old bulbs, plug in the new, wire it up according to the instructions.

The hardest part was trying to figure out the best place to locate the ignitor box and the control unit.

The kit includes 2 sided tape and zip ties to help with fastening everything down.

It cost me $249 USD from e-bay complete with FedEx Express Shipping from Hong Kong.

Just make sure you know, it only converts the 9006 low beams and cars with DRL (like in Canada) should have DRL disabled in order not to damage the HID system.
  • 2003lev62003lev6 Member Posts: 5
    DRL=Daytime Running Lights

In the 2002-2006 Camry, this means the Hi-Beam bulb runs at reduced power, just as an extra margin of safety since 1990 on all cars for the Canadian market.

This also means for the Camry, you can install HID upgrades on the low beam without fear the DRL system may damage your HID system !
  • thaprankstathapranksta Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone converted their halogen lights to HID? I have been wanting to do this for a while but I am unsure about issues surrounding converting the lights. I am not very "headlight literate" so to say. I was wondering if the kits that they sell on ebay produce extra glare to drivers coming in the opposite directions. What are some issues that exist as far as high beams and DRLs after installing a kit? What are projectors? Is the housing for a 2003 Toyota Camry LE suitable for HID? As you can see, I have a lot of questions. Thanks. :)
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    You can use a JDM conversion kit like a 4500K from MTEC (search ebay) that will 'plug ang play' with the factory harness and the only extra installation would be to mount the ballast somewhere.
  • nuclearfiziksnuclearfiziks Member Posts: 1
    hi, do you know where i can find instructions on how to connect the wiring for the fog lights?
    i have 02 camry, and i've had these fog lights in the garage for a while, so i wanted to try and put them on already.
    thanks
  • jbishop1557jbishop1557 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know of any aftermarket or OEM fog light for a '07 Camry LE? I would also like to get a XLE Grille to put on my LE. Does anyone know if either of these are available yet?
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Order the parts at your dealer.
  • jbishop1557jbishop1557 Member Posts: 6
    They want over $400 just for the kit. Do you know where I can get one any cheaper?
  • huntn1234huntn1234 Member Posts: 1
    My low beams dont come on! Highs and flash work. checked switch, relay, fuses, replaced bulbs! auto shut off does not work on high high beam indicator is not on lights indicator was on but no longer. there is 13.67 volts at low beam terminal on bulb socket on both . but still no low beams is there a different relay for low beams or a diff relay for the auto shut off? checked many plugs and connections. Please help!
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    I assume you've checked filament continuity of both low-beam bulbs with an ohmeter. If you have positive battery voltage at the sockets and the bulbs are established as good by the above test, there's only one other electrical anomaly I can think of: a bad ground connection.
  • bodoggybodoggy Member Posts: 2
    I have 93 Camry whose backup lamps go on everytime the brakes are activated and not when the transission is in reverse, except if the brakes are being applied.
    Has anyone solved this problem?
  • penizzlepenizzle Member Posts: 104
    Our camry had a similar problem. Your problem is the brake light controler, a very common replacement on the 93's. It is located in the trunk behind the carpeting and trim on the left or right side of the trunk. Also, check to make sure you are using the proper bulbs. Actually do that first.
  • bildowbildow Member Posts: 100
    I have installed the HID head lights I paid $400.00 and it was easy to install I just plugged in the bulbs where the low beam light were and put the transformers using velcrow to hold them in place. The bulbs have no filament they run at about 12,000 volts using an arc to light up the lights and do work wow they light up the road like daylight. They are great in FOG AND RAIN they also are great in the mountains around curves etc. Expect to pay around $400.00 to $500.00 for the two lights and transformers.
  • db217db217 Member Posts: 1
    The fog and reverse lights on my 1997 Automatic Camry have stopped working. When the main lights are turned on the fog indicator and R shift selector lights on the panel come on. When the car is driven with all the lights off, only the shift selector light for the position chosen shows on the panel. The fog and reverse bulbs appear sound. Any ideas?
  • didelotdidelot Member Posts: 2
    Anyone change the license plate lights on 02 Camry? Book says dealer. It looks like I either need to take out the carpet on the trunk lid or pry open the plastic cover on the outside.
  • ifegenifegen Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have exactly the same problem on a 98. Also the auto shift is not working correctly when driving with the main lights on. Hope you have found the answer to the problem and can help me. If I find out I'll let you know.

Ian Fegen
  • willabyswillabys Member Posts: 2
    Did you find an anwser to the question of replacing lic. plate light bulb on a 02 camry? Thanks
  • didelotdidelot Member Posts: 2
    Well, kind of. 02 LE and XLE (and probably 03-06) can just be snapped out. But I was at the dealer anyway and they said the SE has an additional cover. I don't know if they were able to snap it out or if they went through the trunk. It was only $15. Well worth it if you think about the possibility of getting pulled over.
  • willabyswillabys Member Posts: 2
    I have an LE I am thinking the route is to go through the trunk, either way I would risk breaking something. As you said, 15 bucks is cool, I was thinking 50 and perhaps having to wait. Thanks for the feedback, I will contact local Toyota and reply if I have any news.
    Thanks again,
    Willabys :)
  • howlandhowland Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Camry and the front headlights keep burning out...high beams are fine. Low on money and have little knowledge about repairs but need to fix this...any ideas?
  • fixallfixall Member Posts: 3
    i have a 92 le with some headlight problems but you might check back in the trunk where the wire harnessruns along the the trunk hinge on the drivers saide there notorious for rubbing thru the wire insulation causing all kinds of havoc . it happened on mine. it was sobad that the brake wire was cut thru and so not only did i not have brake lights but no cruise control either.hope this helps
  • fixallfixall Member Posts: 3
    the wrecking yard will be able to tell you exactly what years interchange
  • zsewellzsewell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Toyota Camry and the when I turn on the headlights on they are weak and fade with a minute to nothing. All of the lights are on and bright. If I turn on the brights just the right lamp comes on. The left lamp is brand new. It is also the one that I replaced three months ago and worked fine then went out again, So I replaced it and as soon as I put the new one in and this has started happening.

Help will greatly appreciated
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    It is an electrical problem, not one of the light bulbs. Have your car diagnosed at a shop that works only on electrical problems, if you are not extremely competent in electrical matters. :)
  • cp44cp44 Member Posts: 12
    I just need to know what type of kit I should buy. I know Mccolluchs and Phillips are a good brand. The thing is that I have the daytime running lights and auto on feature for my headlights. I want to know if I install a HID kit that runs off the battery and uses a relay...will I lose that auto on feature?
  • drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    No, auto on will be retained.... just make sure you buy a good kit, and keep in mind it will be an illegal mod. If you want the best look and performance, consider spending the extra and use a retrofit of projectors such as Acura's TSX/TL projectors. BTW, make sure the squirrel finders are covered up. and stick with brands like Phillips' bulbs, Denso's ballasts....
    what are squirrel finders?
  • drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    Only applicable if you go the cheaper route and but a plug and play HID kit, using the OEM projectors. They have a couple of flaps that allow light to reflect upwards, for the purposes of illuminating street signs,etc... hence "squirrel finders", but if not closed up during a HID conversion, will cause significant glare to oncoming motorists. This in turn, if not causing some accidents or pissing other drivers off, will get the attention of passing police, with the increased likelihood of getting a ticket for illegal HID lights. Hope this helps.
    I was planning to get the kit that uses the OEM power source and not have it run straight off the battery. I am going to use it through my OEM projectors.
  • projectcamryprojectcamry Member Posts: 1
    i was wondering if you had any pictures of how the mount looks like?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Welcome to Edmunds! One rule, don't expect an answer from someone's who's posted almost 2 years ago; they may be long gone!
    Last login on: April 18, 2005

Lasted 9 days, although he could still be a "lurker" (just looking, not posting).
  • rafalzrafalz Member Posts: 3
    I would like to do the same. I've noticed that many of the newer conversion kits are less than $200, or $300 at most. Have you done this yet? Where are those squirrel finders and how do I get to them? Fact is, in Michigan at least, people drive with such terrible lights, I don't know if the police will be much bothered by the lights. Any one else here with a conversion?
  • makotsmakots Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Camry which has a problem with low beam headlights. The low beams lightup but seem very weak to the point now that I have to drive with the high beams on. Is this a fuse problem or bulb issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Definitely not the fuses, could be the bulbs. Another possibility is that the aim is now incorrect. A third possibility is your alternator/battery. This last can be checked for free by an auto parts store like Advance or AutoZone.

I assume the lenses are still clear (not cloudy or yellowed like some other infamous cars, like the Dodge Neon).
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I heard that the only legal HID is OEM installed by the car manufacturer. Any aftermarket HID conversion kits are ILLEGAL.

I think the best is to get the brightest Halo & 100% legal. For example Sylvania has SILVERSTAR ULTRA which is closest to the HID and no need of any HID conversion kit. $10 rabate for a pair $39.99 model 9006SU, final cost $29.99 seems to be the cheapest to upgrade from OEM halo. They are much whiter & brighter lights.
  • dreck62dreck62 Member Posts: 1
    Last week both of my low beam headlights stopped working. The brights still work. I looked at the fuses under the hood in the fuse box that is over the driver's side front tire. All of the fuses in that box looked fine. The owners manual says if you have the all the time on headlights there should also be a fuse box near the front of the hood on the drivers side. I can't find that fuse box. Has anyone else had this problem. I'm just assuming it is a fuse. Let me know if anyone else has had this problem and they think it is something else.

Thanks in advance,

David
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Dreck,

Do you normally have daytime running lights on your car, or not? There are two different circuits, depending upon whether you have DRL.

And can you tell me whether you have any low beam lights at all, in any headlight switch position...
  • erpouerpou Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone had the experience of modifying the Camry to keep the DRLs on all the time to conform to Canadian standards? I'm thinking the switch can just be bypassed somehow, but I'm hoping someone has done this before and can share the secret.

eric :confuse:
  • carl56carl56 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have information on whether or not fog lights can be installed on the LE, 2008, Camry?
  • scottf81scottf81 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Camry and twice now in the past 6 months both my Low Beam light have blown for no apparent reason. Check all fuses all were good. Short in switch?
  • niceguy1234niceguy1234 Member Posts: 37
    When I brought my car to Canadia Tire for Federal Inspection, the technician told me that my 08 Camry SE V6 need to modify the DRL (It has built in DRL, but has an option to turn off - which is not allowed by RIV). They charge me $280 + tax to do the modification. I check some other CT location, and one charge only $240 + tax, so better call around to see which one is cheaper. You may do it in small gargage which cost you much less, but I am not sure if they can do a proper job because you don't want your brand new car short it up after.
  • niceguy1234niceguy1234 Member Posts: 37
    Can the fog light be turned on during the day? I found after I modified the DRL which can be turned on all the time, my fog light can't be turned on no matter what during the day. It works fine during the night time. I think it is because of the light senser. Is it normal?

My car is 08 camry SE V6
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I doubt it.

Bulbs tend to blow (filament breaks), if either the bulb is physically jolted....or they are given too high of a voltage (which then causes too high of a current across a fixed resistance V=iR).

Unless someone is vandalizing your bulbs by whacking them, you have to look to basic electrical problems.

Since the bulbs are made to run at full battery voltage, if they are getting a "higher" voltage there is something wrong with your alternator, corrosion/loose wiring connections, or potentially your battery.

I'd suggest making sure your battery terminals and wires are clean with no corrosion. Check your ground connection on the engine to make sure it isn't loose and you are loosing your ground reference. Most autoparts chains (pepboys, autozone, etc), will do a free battery and alternator check on the car....under load. Have that done to make sure you don't have too high of a voltage from your alternator.
    In the US at least, the low-beam headlights must be turned on for the fog lights to work. In all other headlight switch positions (daytime running lamps, parking lamps, or high-beam headlights), the fog lights will not illuminate, regardless of the fog lights' switch position.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "In the US at least...."

No, this all started with the invasion into the US of the asian automotive industry. Prior to that happening (~1980's [??]) most US manufactured cars, like those today of european manufacture, allowed the use of fogs ALONE, or with low beams, but locked out in HB mode.

Fog lights are useless in actual foggy conditions, daytime conditions, when illuminated along with LB's, and a detriment to forward vision when LB mode is needed.

:sick: Idiotic..!!

But then the Japanese are HEAVILY into BLING
    Are you sure about your assertions? I thought federal regulations prohibited the use of fog lamps if anything other than the low-beam headlights are also on. I do see people driving around with only fogs (typically on pickups or SUVs), but I assumed these were do-it-yourself modifications.

I would think fogs alone would be dangerous, because they only light up the road a short distance ahead and to the sides. The low beams allow greater illumination into the distance, but won't reflect their light back at you in foggy conditions because of their aim downward and to the right.

Much more annoying to me is that so many people use their fog lights all the time at night, regardless of the weather. And people seem to shun using their high beams (laziness)? I hardly ever use my fog lights, since fog is relatively rare here (central VA).
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I don't know of any laws or regulations governing this but it is patently foolish to have fog lights on along with either high or low beams. There is a law involving the required use of headlights, something on the orde rof they must be on by 30 minutes after sunset and until 30 minutes before sunrise.

That leaves the only legal and reasonable use of fog lights to be during "daytime" foggy conditions.

Think about it, if you have your low beams on and they are being of use, of what good is having CLOSE-IN, LOW and WIDE additional lighting using the fog lights...??