Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry - Repair and Owners Manuals

pilotnathanbpilotnathanb Member Posts: 7
edited August 2014 in Toyota
Anybody have a suggestion for a good diy manual? I have the Haynes, but I was reading about the cabin filter today and the book lied. It said '99 and up (I have a '99 Camry) have the filter behind the glove box. So I take the thing apart and there's nothing there. I think having too many variations of a car in one manual leads to poor quality. I am thinking about getting a Chilton's.

Comments

• haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    If you really want to do it right, order the factory shop manual from the rear of the owner's manual or the dealer's parts department. Yeah, it'll cost more, but it's guaranteed to cover your car. By the way, where else could the cabin filter be? It has to be in the airflow of the heater core/AC evaporator case in order to function. Some cars have access to it through the cowl fresh air intake. But, these filters are more commonly located where the Haynes book referenced. It would probably be a slide-in affair covered with an exterior hatch cover that has to be unlatched for access. Anyway, good luck. Like the punch line from an old Ronald Reagan joke about an overly optomistic little boy who wanted a pony for Christmas but got a load of horse manure in the front yard instead said as he tore into the manure mound, "That pony's gotta be in here somewhere!"
  • pilotnathanbpilotnathanb Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the help. Another thing that makes me wonder if there is a replacable cabin filter is that a Google search does not turn up anything. Other model year filters are easy to find, but nothing for the 99. I searched a handful of online auto parts stores.
  • pilotnathanbpilotnathanb Member Posts: 7
    Is the factory shop manual as easy to read as Haynes?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Yes, it is, if not more so. The cabin air filter started with the 2002 redesigned model.
  • bullpup12564bullpup12564 Member Posts: 1
    First post here. Pick up Camry on Monday evening. Anyone know if the owners manual is available to download? It would be a help. Thanks
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Not sure about the owner's manual but the maintenance schedule is available online at Toyota's site.
  • coolair4coolair4 Member Posts: 1
    I have recently purchased an '03 Camry SE. Can anyone direct me to a pretty good source of printed (or online!) tech information I can use for maintenance work? I found the owner's manual to be a little light on things as basic as changing plugs, PCV valves, etc.
    Thanks!
    Your best bet is to buy a Toyota Camry factory service manual on eBay. It would be best to purchase the one covering the 2003 model specifically, but any years 2002-06 would also work.
  • uhariuhari Member Posts: 9
    I recently purchased used Toyota Camry 2001 model from a certified used car dealership. Since it did not come with an owner's manual, I was wondering if there is any place I can download one.

Thanks in advance,
    Usha
    If it was a Toyota (dealer) certified vehicle, couldn't you just ask the dealer to get you one (for free)? After all, the car was sold as certified.

If I misunderstood, and the dealer is not associated with Toyota, then it's not really a "certified" car. The easiest way to find a manual is to look for it on eBay.
  • uhariuhari Member Posts: 9
    I will ask the dealer. The dealer is with Toyota. I did not know that :)
    Thanks,
    Usha
  • mriegermrieger Member Posts: 2
    Anyone got some advice on this? I need to change the filter, but the dealer repair cost is outrageous. I'm told you have to remove the glove compartment drawer. Can anyone help out here? I don't mind doing the work, they said it only take about an hour. I just don't want to pay the huge dollars the dealer wants to charge.
    The Camry and Prius both explain the procedure in the owner's manual. The ES 330 should have the same explanation. The filter is housed behind the glove compartment, as you state.

The actual time to change it is no more than 15 minutes, if you don't get hung up with trying to get the glove comp. door back on and/or moving any wiring out of the way to better access the filter.
  • robert_p14robert_p14 Member Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me if the rotors come off separately from the axel on a 2002 camry (front end)? thank you
  • lovecdlovecd Member Posts: 50
    I recently noticed that those transmission gear marker did not lit up when I switch on the lights on my 97 Camry. I checked the owner's manual and did not find any chapter addressed this problem. Anybody had such experience before and know how to fix it?

Many thanks!
  • jollygreen1jollygreen1 Member Posts: 42
    I have an 05 LE I4 and an 03 4R V8 Ltd. I bought the "Toyota" Repair manual for the 4R and it is a little difficult to use and does not give helpful hints. I had a Caddy STS once upon a time and bought a Cadillac Repair manual for it and it contained lots of helpful hints and cautions and warnings and was easy to follow and easy to find the right page quickly. The Caddy manual also had a full detailed description at the beginning of each chapter on the parts explained (in engine, tranny etc). I want a Camry manual now and will probably go with the Toyota manual because it is model specific.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    If you search around the internet a little bit, you should be able to locate some Camry manual samples, which you could review to see if they contain the details that you are looking for before ordering from Toyota.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Its a 2002 Camry...the indicator light (P, R, D etc) blew out...how do I replace it. Thanks.
  • pops10pops10 Member Posts: 1
    Just trying to figure out how to extract a piece of a broken key from the ignition. Ive tried a few simple things that haven't worked. The broken part of the key I have will not let me turn the key at all. 1-How to remove key? 2-how to remove part to get key out? 3-at least how do I disable the steering lock mech. so that I can drive the car. It's an old '89 Camry. ANY help anyone can be would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for all help!!
  • freezincamryfreezincamry Member Posts: 4
    Hi. New to this website--I have a chilton manual-it is wrong sometimes, too....can let you know what was messed up on the car....It says that I have axles from an automatic-I have a 5-speed in the car..... :confuse:
    Paul
  • freezincamryfreezincamry Member Posts: 4
    Hi. My name is Paul, and I am glad this site is here. Looks like there is a lot of good info on all different cars here. As far as my screen name--I live in North Pole (Yes; Santa has his own house here); and I have seen it to -65 below zero
    here-depending on what part of town you are in...

I own a 1989 Toyota Camry and am looking for a manual or pictures of repair procedures. I love the car and it developed problems in the last 3 months :sick:

:confuse: Does anyone know if there is an online manual or instructions with illustrations for repair of cars of any kind? Preferably for no cost, since I have no credit card.
    If anyone can help, that would be good. And I found a site or 2 that could help to at least diagnose problems with all different kinds of stuff.

Hope we can help each other out soon==========
    Girlfriend has a 2003 Ford Focus-info on that would be apprecieated also.

Thanx,
    Paul
  • pcamrypcamry Member Posts: 1
    I have two questions which I hope someone can help.

1 I own a 2nd hand Japanese manufactured Camry 2.4 and the owner's manual is in Japanese. I asked the workshop for an English version but they said that there was none. Does anyone know where I can get one?

2) The internal lights will light up when I walk near the car as the car sensed my 'key'. And the lights will also come on when I switch off the engine. I like this feature. However, recently I think I pressed some button and the internal lights doesn't light up anymore when I am near the car or when I switch off the engine. What do I have to do to get it working again?
    You might want to check eBay for an owner's manual. My Camrys are older and don't have the light feature/smart key you are referring to.
  • leshkovleshkov Member Posts: 1
    I recently acquired a 2nd Hand Camry from Singapore which came with Japanese manuals. It is a good car with lots of features that I am unable to fully exploit as the manuals are in a language that I cannot read and understand. I have searched the net to no avail and if there is anybody out there with the English manuals please help.
    Have you tried eBay?
  • lost10lost10 Member Posts: 1
    How to turn off the maintenance warning light in 2006 toyota corolla ?
  • nycamrynycamry Member Posts: 1
    I am the original owner of a 2002 Camry. I have never replaced the suspension, until now. Next week, my mechanic will fix the suspension. He told me I need new struts in the front and in the back. The parts are not that expensive, so its labor, that takes up most of the bill. Has anyone else had this expeience yet, and what can you tell me about it?
    Make sure you have the car aligned after those parts are replaced.
    It's explained in the owner's manual.
  • c5t4rc5t4r Member Posts: 13
    Your car is 7 years old, and probably has more than 50,000 miles on it by now. It's time (past time probably) to have that work done. No, struts themselves aren't usually that expensive - but they can be a bear to install if you don't know what you are doing or have the right tools. It is well worth paying someone to do. You'll also need an alignment afterwards. Any alignments you may have had with worn struts will be off after installation of the new ones...at least that's what's been explained to me.

Truth is, depending on your situation, you haven't noticed the gradual deterioration in performace because you drive it most every day. 9 times out of 10, new struts make it feel almost like a new car.
  • djroffdjroff Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1995 and did that very thing last year... actually, all four of the struts. It ran me almost $1,100 all told, but it was well worth it. The car rides like new again, afterward. Prior to this, it was bouncing a lot, and the tires were getting eaten up prematurely.
  • djroffdjroff Member Posts: 4
    Has anybody had experience troubleshooting cruise controls on the older Camrys? I have a 1995 which is still a sweet car, but the cruise fails intermittently. The dash light comes on, but when you try to engage, it may or may not do so. If it's not going to, the light blinks 5 times and shuts off. Turning off the car resets it, and it may or may not work next time.

This problem has been getting more frequent over the past few years, to the point that it now only works infrequently. The Toyota garage has looked at it but has no clue, they say I would have to "come it with it not working" -- and how likely is THAT to happen? It sounds like it might be some weak relay that could be replaced, or maybe even a leaky vacuum hose -- as opposed to their suggested solution of replacing the entire unit, to the tune of $1,200, which MAY fix the problem, if the problem is not the computer module rather than the cruise.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, you might want to try the Older Camry Maintenance and Repair discussion. You might be able to turn up something related using the search, but if not, that's a more likely place for you to get some feedback on this.

Hope we can help!
    Speed sensor inspection:

(a) Connect the positive (+) lead from battery to terminal
    1 and negative (–) lead to terminal 2.
    (b) Connect the positive (+) lead from tester to terminal 3
    and negative (–) lead to terminal 2.
    (c) Revolve shaft.
    (d) Check that there is voltage change from approx. 0 V
    to 1 1 V or more between terminals 2 and 3.
    HINT: The voltage change should be 4 times par each
    revolution of the speed sensor shaft.
    If operation is not as specified, replace the sensor.

If that is not the problem, verify that the switches turning the cruise on/off/set work correctly. Unplug it, and check operation with an omhmeter.
  • yowusuyowusu Member Posts: 3
    One of the dashboard light of my toyota camry 2010 is on. it is yellowish round light with a little gap at the top and small dots beneath with an exclamation sign in the centre. pls can somebody explain the meaning of this dashboard light?
  • yowusuyowusu Member Posts: 3
    Users guide for Toyota Camry 2010 to purchase or download free. Any suggestions?
    So you don't have the owners manual supplied in the glovebox?

Not sure, but I think if you go to www.toyota.com, you can download an owners manual.
This discussion has been closed.