Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• denochdenoch Member Posts: 1
    We are considering getting either a minivan or the Ford Expedition. We are leaning toward the Expedition if we can get the middle row with captains chairs. We are looking to buy used. Can anyone tell me if the captains chairs for the second row is only in the Eddie Bauer Expeditions? Please help. Thanks so much!
  • joeaustinjoeaustin Member Posts: 2
    I just received, (ordered it with what I wanted) my 03 EB with Captains Chairs. I am pretty sure they were only available on the EB edition. Just to let you know, we really like them. It makes it so much easier to get to the 3rd row seating. Now have just over 1K miles and no complaints. The Nav system could be a little better on the map display, but other than that, love it. Good Luck in your search
  • wkohlerwkohler Member Posts: 74
    Glad to hear you like the captains chairs. I was looking for that option for ours, but couldn't find any at the time. What I did was remove the center seat and stored it in the basement. Works out OK, of course no inboard armrests on the outboard seats. I noticed that the center seat has the shoulder harness built into the seat. Would have thought that they would have done that with all the seating postions. I have an early model, and am having the "growl" and "clunk" when using 4 wheel drive fixed as soon as all the parts come in. Some are on back-order. Other than that, not a bad vehicle.
  • davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    Thank goodness, some posts at last! I thought I was the only one here lately, TV sure is boring, war re-run previews. I guess the only message board less busy than this one is Renault or Citron (don't bother looking as there isn't one, I rest my case).

I went to the Ford site and pretended to build a 2003 XLT Expedition. On the options page it allows you to select 2nd row captains chairs for $795...or you could keep the cash and pick what's behind curtain number two. It's probably a new Chevy Suburban anyway so I'd stick with the Expie with Captains seating. This doesn't address previous model years and Ford has been known to shuffle the deck so spin the wheel of fortune, you could wind up a Millionaire (I've got to get out more).

We have an '03 EB with the standard seats and once you get the hang of the double front flip in the pike position (the seat, not your body) for 3rd row entry, it becomes second nature. Lots of folks like us need the middle slider seat for our birthday challenged offspring.
  • london01london01 Member Posts: 4
    I would really appreciate any input, good or bad, on your experiences with the Expedition in terms of reliability, durability and operating costs. I have an opportunity to buy a one owner 97 Expedition XLT with the 4.6 engine. Comes with the third seat and rear A/C. Well maintained by a Ford dealership for it's entire in service life. 130,000 miles. Original paint ( good ) and clean interior. Never hit. Pre-purchase inspection is good. They corrected a leaky PS pump and replaced two ball joints. I have read in Edmunds that this truck presents with overly sensitive steering which is most notable at highway speeds ( equates to wandering and twichy steering ). Any truth to this critism? I currently drive a 1996 Explorer V8 AWD. Not ever a problem. But the extra cabin room would be great for a growing family.
    Thanks All...
    From a Brit living in Canada.
  • mardynmardyn Member Posts: 12
    I too have heard that the short wheel base, high C/G and solid rear axle makes for some Yaw problems, the ones I've driven have all been great... keep in mind, I'm in town at slower speed most of the time, but even on the highway, I've never really been bothered by the percieved problem... 130K miles is a bunch, but if the price is right and it's been properly maintained, it'll probably be OK...

My '03 Expy continues to do well, great drive out, trouble free so far, decent mpg, and plenty of power from the 5.4L... I'd like to have the new 3V 5.4L coming next year... anybody heard anything? good? bad?

Thanks
    mardyn
  • abrownpup64abrownpup64 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Expedition and chose to install the twin headrest monitors to a Playstation 2, reason being that the Playstation 2 plays a DVD, CD, and games vs. the "High-priced" DVD players that only play DVD's, I thought it would be "Cheaper" to install a Playstation 2 with Monitors rather than spending the "Big" bucks. Plus I had it hooked-up to my stereo system so I have that "Big" theatre sound, also you can add a "wireless" headphone kit that comes with 2 headphones already in it and also add more if you want to,plus add a T.V. Tuner kit so you could watch T.V. These two kits combined costs me only about just under $200.00.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    You would be getting the Expy for almost nothing. Personally, I believe that 130K miles is just too many miles. I wouldn't take the risk.

We own a 2001, with about 24K miles on it, and have not had a single problem. The steering has a very light feel, and I was also concerned about the "twitchyness" I had read about, but after two years, it doesn't bother me a bit. It does NOT wander.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    We bought our new 2001 EB Expy in January of 2001 for $36K (a fantastic deal we thought). At that same time, Toyota dealers would NOT budge from full MSRP of about $45K on a comparably equipped Sequoia Limited. So we figured we saved $9000.

Naturally, the Toyota fanatics here on Edmunds insisted that when I went to trade my Expy after a few years, that their Sequoias would always be worth $9000 more than the Expy. Well, it just isn't so. A check on trade-in values here on Edmunds reveals that the difference is now only $5000. Whoops!

So, I figure that I now saved $13,000 by not buying the Sequoia. That makes me feel pretty good!

OTOH, I'm not too pleased that our Expy is now worth only about $24K wholesale. That sucks.
  • lvs2bspoiled2lvs2bspoiled2 Member Posts: 1
    In the last 4 months I have gone through 3 altonators. Has anyone had a problem like this? Luckily the car is still under warranty, but the hassel of having to have it towed into the dealership every month and a half is getting very old.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    In fact I just changed the alternator in My 1999 EB Expedition. First the battery went dead then about 2 weeks later the battery light came on and the alternator had to be changed. I thought that this was a little strange, but after I asked around I found out that my bad battery may have been to blame for the bad alternator. I knew that the battery was getting weak because it wouldn't hold a charge very long. However, I thought if it started to vehicle, then that was good enough. I guess this is very wrong as it puts a huge strain on the alternator. So I guess my question is, have you had your battery changed recently? Once they are drained completely they are never the same. So it may be worth a try to do both (the alternator and the battery) as having one bad can ruin the other. If you have gotten a new battery then I must apologize as I don't know where to go from there. Maybe others here will have incite!? I wish you the best.
    Sorry to hear of your 99- Expie plight.
    JRC is once gain right.
    Next time you're in for an altonator,
    be sure to replace it with an alternator.
    Your battery could be the problem with your carriage,
    as once drained it's never the same,
    much like marriage.

Cheers
  • califjohncalifjohn Member Posts: 101
    now looks like it will be in MY2005! Seems strange because the new 3v 5.4 is in the 2004 F150. I guess they know what they are doing, but it seems like they are missing a bet here.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Especially with the fold flat 3rd row 300hp Armada coming out this fall.
  • califjohncalifjohn Member Posts: 101
    is just not going to be available in sufficient quantity for both the Expy and F-150 needs until 2005MY. The new Expy XL is also supposed to be offered in MY 2005/6 as the Excursion bows out.
  • gaarcegaarce Member Posts: 2
    Today I have to take my 2002 Ford Expedition XLT to the dealer because the "Check Engine" light lighted up, and the overdrive light on the handle started blinking like a Christmas tree. In addition to rough idle. Recently took my ESPY from L. A. to El Paso, to Carlsbad, New Mexico, to El Paso, back to L. A., no problems whatsoever.

(Wonder if the long trip may have been the cause of it, but I doubt it) It probably made the problem to come up sooner.

They put the computer up and had the following problem codes P0740, P0741, P0743. The SM indicated that there was a problem with the Solenoid Body Assembly. Solenoid Body Assembly, Filter and a new sealer gasket and all of the transmission oil was replaced. They also had to adjust the manual linkage.

To be honest, I don't know what all of that means, and would like someone to explain to me exactly what went wrong, what could have cause the problem, and whether anyone else may have had the same problem. My "TANK" only has 15K, is a year and 1 month old, and two long distance trips, one to Puerto Vallarta, MX 5,000 miles (no problems there), and about 2,000 to the L.A., ELP, Carlsbad, ELP, L.A. trip.
  • alexm234alexm234 Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know of a solution to get rid of the excessive brake dust that dirties the front wheel. I'd appreciate if someone would respond. Thanks.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    The only solution that I have heard of other than trying to go to a different pad is a product called Kleen Wheels. Do a search and you will find their web page. I hear they work well.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've heard that if you wax your wheels a couple of times, and then keep them waxed every few months, it'll make it a lot easier to clean the dust off. But it won't prevent it. Some people like to install brake shields, but others say they'll cause the rotors to overheat and warp.

Steve, Host
  • jauringer1jauringer1 Member Posts: 1
    was reading on this website that in 1998 the 4.6 liter engine had 215 Hp and in 99 it had 240hp. Whats the difference? Is that a typo?

thanks
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    "With the Toyota so far ahead of both the Chevrolet Tahoe and Ford Expedition, it was left to the domestics to fight for second place. Ultimately, they settled for a draw."

Latest Fullsize SUV Comparison
  • tom4365tom4365 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have any information on planned changes for the 2004MY? Will there be a 3-row side curtain airbag for instance?
  • stephjoestephjoe Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE HAD A LOT OF BRAKE DUST ON MY WHEELS TOO. IT IS HARD TO REMOVE. I JUST GET IT CLEANED BY A FULL SERVICE PLACE. I'LL HAVE TO TRY THE KLEEN WHEELS. HOPE IT WORKS.
  • 2000trep2000trep Member Posts: 30
    Looks pretty slow in here. Hopefully it will pick up soon. I am a new Expedition owner. As is evidenced by my user name, I am a former Dodge Intrepid owner. I just bought a 2001 XLT 2wd with the 5.4 liter, comfort convenience package, and the premium sport appearance group. It's a beautiful truck! I towed my boat for the first time yesterday and it pulls it effortlessly compared to my F150 4.9 Liter. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with Goodyear's Fortera tires on your Expy's. I saw them on TireRack.com and thought they looked like a pretty good buy based on their survey ratings.
    I'm still pretty happy with my new '03 Expy as purchased last December... but after a while, I find that the various warning systems on the vehicle have become very annoying. That damn back up sonar based alarm should be able to be turned On and Off... not just temporarily disabled... the seat belt warning is aggravating too... and then the key in the ignition or headlites on warnings... get all these damn thing going at once and it'll will drive you crazy... I discovered how annoying these systems are the other evening... after dark, headlights on, backing up to hook up my go kart trailer, everytime you get outta' the truck to check the location of the trailer tongue... damn chimes going off every where... Man... it was driving me crazy... I Know the seat belt is not on, I know the head lites are on, I know I'm backing up and I know there's something behind me... I know... I know... give me a break already!

Everything else is pretty good... not too much I can [non-permissible content removed] about on this one.

mardyn
    Mardyn,

The '03 Expie is near perfect except our EB has demon spawn mirrors that still aren't fixed after two attempts. I hope the Nissan Armada has this same problem as apparently they copied everything else except the look.

Here's how to overcome almost all the problems you mentioned:

1) Turn the back-up aid off in the set up menu, mine remains off once set but reminds me of the setting on the message center each time I select R on the PRNDL, (displays "Back-up aid off", no sound). I don't know what you mean by temporarily disabled, is that like breaking a leg, folicly challenged or slightly pregnant?

2) The headlight thing only chimes with the key off and lights on, so leave the engine running for the trailer hookup. If not you can always play music and groove to the chime harmony.

3) Buckle your seatbelt before you get in when hooking up your trailer. Minor annoyance but it works. So does driving a short distance with the seat belt buckled over you and then removing it. You will still get a single solid tone no matter what if it's running and a door is opened. Of all the sounds, I find this one the least annoying.

4) If your trailer is on soft ground tap a broom handle straight into the ground where your trailer's hitch is. Even better, 'find' a traffic cone and stick a broom in it, (bristles up of course) and put it where you want the Expie hitch to end up to connect. Lift the rear glass before backing up if you want a clear view at night, (causes another message center warning-arrggh!). You should have no trouble backing up to the exact spot you need without having to get out to look at all. This works like a champ when hooking up the hermetically sealed trailer I make my mother-in-law ride in. If we get separated she can always hop on the broom and fly home!
    Thanks for the suggestions.... but you see, if I do all the items you mention, I won't have anything to complain about... I'm only happy when I'm complaining. I'm sure it has something to do with my O.C.D.

Anyway... made a long trip in my Expy this past weekend, DFW to Lake Charles, La... flawless performance, decent fuel milage at highway speeds (16.8 I think it was) and cold A/C. A good time was had by all.

Hey, I'm thinkin' about gettin' a new Ford GT once the price stabilizes, anybody got any thought on those things? (I know this isn't the GT40 forum, but I just thought I'd mention it)

mardyn
    Mardyn,

Complaining is good, it's covered under the Constitution. OCD=duh, something complaining disorder? You may have mentioned it but my A.T.D. has me distracted. Anyway, where were we, oh yeah, SUV's-Expies, which drive train and wheel drive version do you have? I think the 2WD (like ours) with the 5.4 is rated 13/18 and the 4.6 is 14/19. Not sure how the 4WD kills that, something like 12/17 for the 5.4 and who cares about a 4WD 4.6 because both owners nationwide are fools for buying that combo. I apologize if you're either of them.

Over 12K miles we've averaged 15.5 MPG in about an even mix of level Florida C/H driving. Darn message center always estimates 1.3 MPG high, but at least it quit beeping since I drove that ice pick through it. Hope to complain with you more soon.
  • btate2002btate2002 Member Posts: 64
    What size is the sub in the rear of the EB Expedition...Has anyone replaced theirs? The one in the Expedition my mom just bought is blown (Its a 2000)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is aiming to interview someone who recently bought a new Ford for less than $38,000 after either owning used cars or waiting a while to replace a paid-off car.
    Please send your response including Ford model and daytime contact info by Monday, June 30 to jfallon@edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tjleschtjlesch Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone here know if it is possible to get a cargo shade for the 03 expedition? This is the one thing keeping from purchasing this SUV.

Thanks,
    T.J.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Anyone with any idea what the changes are for the 2004 expedition. My next vehicle will either be this or the Nissan Armada.
    It that what you call those "curtain" things that you slide back to the rear hatch to hide the stuff back there? My Outback has one, but it lives mostly in my garage.

It doesn't sound like an easily found aftermarket item unless there's some Explorer ones around that you can make fit on an '03.

Steve, Host
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    between the dark tinted windows and the 3rd row of seats, it seems more trouble than it's worth (imo). my shades were taken out, and left out, until it was time for the vehicle to go.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    As Explorerx4 said, why on earth would you ever need a cargo cover with factory tint windows so dark you can hardly see in? If your cargo is that precious maybe you should cover it before you put it in the vehicle, perhaps with one of those highway patrol yellow sheets, LOL. If you buy something else you'll miss out on the best Uhmerkin SUV on the market. I'm not so sure the Armada has one either but it if does they copied it from Ford.

Steve, Explorer cover stretched to fit an Expie?... are those magic beans in your pocket?
    dang, where are you when it's still within my edit window time to fix stuff like that?

It's just going to get worse as more Ford models start with the letters "E" and "F."

Steve, Host
  • jabberwocky1jabberwocky1 Member Posts: 1
    Is Ford going to put the new 5.4 in the Expedition any time soon?
  • wkohlerwkohler Member Posts: 74
    Not soon enough. I just saw on another message board (flatratetech.com) that there are no powertrain upgrades for 04 expeditions. Reserving all the 3V 5.4L engines for the new pickups.
    Think multi-year strategy when looking for answers. Ford probably doesn't want to change to the 3v 5.4L in '04 as it's not that much of a power improvement but would somewhat increase MPG. Changes like this cost money and since the major ground-up revamp was in '03, might imply they didn't get it right the first time. Although the current 5.4L Expie could use a bit more power I feel it's no slouch, at least in our 2WD EB, why mess with success. Think of the 20 percenters that go for the 4.6L. If anything they should increase power in the 4.6L in '04 or drop it entirely.

My bet is they're saving the 3v for '05 as a stretch model Expie replacing the nearly fossilized Excursion, two birds, one stone and all that. I think it'd make no sense to put the slightly stronger engine in now, and then not improve it again with the added weight the longer vehicle brings in '05. Delaying also allows Ford the next move in one-upping the Armada due out late this CY and prevents what I call, "Premature Expie-elation".

I recommend we call the '05 extended length Expedition...the Extradition!
  • tloftustloftus Member Posts: 7
    Have had my new 2003 Expedition for 3 months and love it! Much better ride than my 1998. Owners manual and Ford website recommend 5K intervals for normal driving conditions (I don't tow or off-road...etc.). Dealer says it should be every 3K. Local mechanic says 4K. What do you guys say???
  • ivy_28ivy_28 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I have done research past 2 weeks and have narrowed my search down to (used) 03 Expedition or Explorer. Currently have 01 Passat 2/ 4-motion awd (for 5 months: Hubby's choice) had traded 00 Infinity qx4 4wd (I miss the space). I know this is long message, but I have not seen these issues addressed, and though this would be a good place to start. My criteria: 1. Safety for occupants and driver (I'm 5'5": we have a lot of rain in FL, sometimes "flooding storms" with lots of water on roadways) 2. Space (BIG Sam's club trips, twice yearly trips to Ohio at 1000 miles each way) 3. Gas mileage is going to suck on both of these, but is still a consideration. Mini-van or conversion van is out of the question. 4. Must be a V-8. We plan to keep this for 6 years +/- I wanted all input from you folks on several questions.. (taking into account possible resale value & wear & tear) 1. IS leather worth the extra?? 2. Any experiences w/ reverse-trac option? 3. Any advantages to driving in rain w/ 4wd? Hubby seems to think 4wd would be better 4. Thoughts on 02 vs 03 for resale? Hubby says high mileage (under 30) would be better than less miles on 02. He thinks that resale value of 03 would be better because of changes made in 03. 5. Any thoughts on explorer vs expedition? I am leaning towards explorer somewhat, with a bit better gas mileage (or so I have read. Hubby worries about safety, thinking if I am going big, I might as well go expedition for safety. I appreiciate all assistance and comments. Also, why doesn't edmunds give used values on 03? Any good sources other than carsdirect.com, cars.com or autotrader.com??
    Thanks Stacey
    Ivy_28_03@hotmail.com
    Isn't out here at Edmunds, because it's not considered a "used" car. Yet. ('03 prices are still linked off the new car pages under the '04 section). I'm not sure how many new '03's are still in the pipeline at the dealers.

Steve, Host
    Ivy 28 (Stacey),

You call that long? Watch this. Since you're hunting opinions:

1. Safety for occupants and driver (I'm 5'5": we have a lot of rain in FL, sometimes "flooding storms" with lots of water on roadways)

Re: I take it you're worried about being washed away at 5'5"? That's some storm, I'd take the boat. We have a 2WD '03 EB and live in NW FL, same problem but I'm 6'2", not that size matters (in vehicles of course). The XP is sure footed and handles well in lake and puddle surprises. Longer wheelbases tend to do better. The reality is that at 45 MPH and up you'll hydroplane so it doesn't matter how many wheels are powered as they aren't touching the road much anyway. The poundage the XP offers helps is plow through better than any vehicle we've owned, last was a '00 Rodeo, yuck. Can't speak for the Explorer directly but two pals have nothing spectacular or bad to say about wet weather handling. Best 'there if we need it' Expedition safety feature is the side airbags that stay puffy in rollovers. Sounds good on paper and I'm sure we'd want occupants and any broken glass to stay as one happy family plus it blocks the view of impending external peril.

2. Space

Re: XP rocks, could use a little more behind the third row when it's up but hang out until '05 and that'll be fixed. Fold all seats down and there's room for an Explorer in back, 'nuff said.

3. Gas mileage is going to suck on both of these...

Re: Yup. Our '03 Eddie B. 5.4L rated 13/18 gets 16 tops in 50/50 C/H mix. Not bad considering it's 6,500 lbs compared to the 15/19 rating on the Explorer that's a good bit smaller and lighter.

4. Must be a V-8. We plan to keep this for 6 years +/- I wanted all input from you folks on several questions.. (taking into account possible resale value & wear & tear)

Re: Both offer V-8's, XP has two, 4.6 and 5.4. Exploder's 4.0 is adequate but my pals seems just as anemic as the XP with a 4.6 I test drove.

1. (A.?) IS leather worth the extra??

Re: I think so. It's comfy, durable, and most of all, easy to clean. We have a munchkin and love the wipe and go aspect.

2. (B.?) Any experiences w/ reverse-trac option?

Re: Nope, 2WD here and we drive forwards most of the time. No need to ever go backwards to wind it up. Advance-trac on 4WD model was boasted by northern owners as having merit in snow/ice.

3. (C.?) Any advantages to driving in rain w/ 4wd?

Re: Reading several boards I truly believe that the AWD (auto-4WD) function is useful but the 1 MPG trade-off, added weight and cost, plus drive train noise problems prevalent last Oct made me think again. If you plan to go off road go for it, Exxon will thank you.

4. Thoughts on 02 vs 03 for resale?

Both are great vehicles but don't expect either to hold value any different than previous MY's. As your hubby eluded the last year before major revision is worth less (not worthless) but sometimes the first year of the newbie is too. Age, mileage, and condition matters most.

5. Any thoughts on explorer vs expedition?

Re: You came to an Expedition board, remember? Escape=S, Explorer=M, Expie=L, Excur=XL, pick one that fits your needs. This large size Expie-owner loves the extra space, quickie convert seats, safety features & proven track record, and especially the new suspension and steering. '02 had rigid rear axle & recirculating ball vs. '03 with independent rear suspension and rack & pinion, it rides & handles so much better than an '02. The Explorer is a fine SUV but hasn't broken any new ground lately except for hideous colors on the Sport-trac. Despite the large size, the Expedition feels more nimble than you would expect, commanding and confidence inspiring IMHO.

Also, why doesn't edmunds give used values on 03?

Re: As Steve said, too new, with incentives have you considered a new one? Our EB was $33.5 (5.4, side bags, elect 3rd row) and there's an extra grand rebate now...no I don't work for Ford.

Any good sources other than carsdirect.com, cars.com or autotrader.com??

Re: I know of a few good sites that talk up vehicle problems but since I'm still in the 30 minute edit window, can tell you Steve said it's not appropriate to post them here. You can buzz me at davant@hotmail.com if you wish. I bet Steve is back from the walk just when my half hour is up, thanks for the quick hook-up host-meister!

Now, get up and stretch, that was long!

Dave writes Ford novel, film at 11
    Promoting other auto forums is frowned upon around here.

(thought you were gonna get me eh? <G>. Don't worry, Tidester would have nabbed you if I didn't, LOL).

Steve, Host
    (time for a walk!)
  • caseman22caseman22 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 Expy, I believe you can buckle the set belt, unbuckle it then buckle and finally unbuckle and it will disable the selt belt reminder thingy until you turn off the ignition.
    Caseman,

I think you're right and that's prolly true on an '03 as well. I thought I did something like that once when I kept running back into the house but never could figure out the sequence that snuffed the alarm. Thanks for setting the record straight.
  • caseman22caseman22 Member Posts: 8
    I have read in other forums "not mentioning any names Steve" about the sub woofer in the Expy. I have heard that it cannot be removed. I also heard that there may be a seperate relay for the sub, check the owners manual you may be able to fix the problem with a simple relay replacemnt. Do a internet search for "expedition subwoofer" and see what you can find.

Then you can go to Crutchfields web site to see what it can be replaced with, if it can. Wait...this is a ford, you have to purchase a $200 tool to remove it then buy the new sub from them for $500. Just kidding. would not suprise me though.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    just some random thoughts about both

have a new gen explorer 4x4 w/v8, towing package.
    gas mileage is usually 16-17. about 15 in bad winter weather, better (18+)on a long trip.
    expy 4x4 5.4 v8. got about 13. 12 in bad winter driving. 16-17 on a long trip.
    drove an '03 expy 4x4. i think the mileage would be a bit better since i think it defaults to a 2wd mode. someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

had a 2k expy and have first hand on the highway, in-your-face, collision experience. other driver's fault. left front wheel and suspension ripped off vehicle. had to wake up daughter in 3rd row, when it was time to put it on the flatbed. left corner hit in front. airbags did not go off. drove it another couple hundred yards on 3 wheels to get under an overpass since it was drizzling. the crumpled crush zones on the left front fender were a thing of beauty. the engineers did put some thought into this. feel VERY STRONGLY that this is a very safe vehicle if you don't try any drastic maneuvers with it.

i'm 6'2". explorer is a lot less roomy, but not horrible. much easier because of size in everyday use. 7 passengers instead of 8 in expy. 2 adults can sit back there though. engine is very smooth and explo is peppier,although that isn't a big deal to me. transmission is ok. drive the 5.0 if i want some acceleration.
    the auto 4wd has very little slip in it. seems like it takes only about half a wheel turn for it to engage. (try some extra gas pedal uphill from a stop on damp pavement.)
    many of the features i like are probably common to both, keyless entry, multi steering wheel controls, good stereo, dual air, split tailgate.
    the biggest disapointment to me is that the leather seems much like vinyl. also goodyear tires(which i don't think they put on them anymore)give off a lot of vibations, unless the temp is above 80 or so.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • mechdeclinedmechdeclined Member Posts: 5
    We are looking at a new (45 miles) 2003 xlt premium. When we took it for a test drive, I noticed a hissing noise coming from the passenger side vents. I brought this to the attention of the fleet manager and he had his technician look at it. They said it must have been something in the vent that cleared itself out or maybe the vent wasn't all the way open, as it is not making the noise anymore (this was after I suggested they check the seals/compressor/condenser and leak test it). Anyway, any thoughts/similar experiences? Thanks.