Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cobalt Electrical Problems

Comments

• liketospeedliketospeed Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 cobalt, the car is my baby. I have done a few modifications to it, and it seems just when i am pleased with the car, it dissapoints me again. It has 70 000 km on it, the car has been in and out of the shop since the first 10 000kms. Such problems as steering columns, 02 sensors, tie rods, warped rotors, engine lights, overheating, 2x wheel bearings...etc etc....I still love my car....but it is more of a love/hate relationship. The car is not under warrenty anymore...which does scare me. Recently I realized my tail light was out. So i went to the store and bought new bulbs. easy fix right??....The bulbs didnt cure the problem and i realized that the bulbs were fine. Checked the fuses....alll fine...Soooo my brake light works, signal works, hazards work.....but no running light...??? Nothing is an easy fix with this car...After exchanging words with the not so pleasent sevice rep i have decided to bring it into an independant shop where i will pay minimum 100 dollars, if not way more to fix a TAIL LIGHT!!???...Like WTF?...SO I am just curious if anyone else has had a similar problem or even any advise/ideas of what i could check? It would be greatly appretiated!
  • leannemarieleannemarie Member Posts: 9
    It's been a couple years since I got my 2005 cobalt, but the issues are the same:

I have a 2005 Cobalt - bought new with a 10yr/100k warrantee.
    Issues:
    * High Beam and EBrake indicators coming on and off very sporadically.
    * CD player giving ERROR or LOCKED message until I restart car.
    *** My key keeps getting stuck in the ignition. while the car is off, I have to shift it into Reverse then back into park to hear the 'click' releasing my key.

~ I found the TSB for almost all these issues but won't pay for subscription so can't see details. My dealership's kinda dickin me around & wants to charge me $100 to tell me what is/isn't wrong when I've already had it seen by a mechanic.

* Who else has these issues and how are you handling it? Anyone give me more info on how to use/read the TSBs?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Bulletin No.: 06-07-30-004C

Date: June 27, 2006

TECHNICAL
    Subject:
    Various Concerns With Shifter and/or Ignition Key (Replace Shifter Assembly/Shifter Components or Ignition Lock Cylinder)

Models:
    2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt
    2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)
    2007 Pontiac G5

with Automatic Transmission 4T45-E (RPO MN5)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add models and model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-07-30-004B (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition

Some customers may comment on any of the following concerns:
    ^ The shifter is hard to move or binds.

^ They cannot remove the ignition key.

^ It takes high effort to rotate the key.

Cause 1

The shifter button may be sticking in the handle.

Cause 2

The pin that activates the micro-switch may have moved out of position (refer to illustration above). This causes the micro-switch to fail to engage when the vehicle is placed in Park. If this condition is present, the customer will not be able to remove the key from the ignition.

The illustration above shows the switch in a correct position.

Cause 3

Metal flashing left in the cylinder may cause a high effort to rotate the key.

Cause 4

The slider may be binding in the guides. This may cause the shifter to become difficult to operate.

Correction 1

Verify that the shifter button is inoperative by evaluating if the park pawl pin on the shifter assembly moves when activating the button. If the parking pawl does not move when the button is activated, the shifter handle will have to be replaced. Refer to Floor Shifter Control Knob Replacement in SI.

Correction 2
    Important: A change has been made to the shifter assembly for service. The replacement shifter assembly will read PRNDIL (Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Intermediate and Low).

Verify that the micro switch is out of position. Replace the shifter assembly. Refer to Floor Shifter Control Replacement in SI.

Correction 3
    Important: Refer to instruction sheet that is supplied with the lock cylinder kit. BO 47869 is an essential staking tool and must be used for the repair.

Replace the ignition lock cylinder. Refer to Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement in SI.

Correction 4

Replace the slide indicator and guides in the shifter following the procedure below:
    1. Apply the parking brake.

2. Remove the upper console trim. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement-Console Front in SI.

3. Remove shifter knob. Refer to Floor Shifter Control Knob Replacement in SI.

4. Remove the indicator plate. Use a flat-bladed screwdriver to release the locking tabs.

5. Remove the shifter indicator lens.

6. Pull up on the indicator and remove it from the assembly.

7. Remove the two front rails by unsnapping the front and lifting up, and then back, to remove the rails from the shifter assembly.

8. Install the new guides. Place the hook end into the assembly and push down. It will snap into place.

9. Install the new slide indicator. With the transmission in neutral, place the slide over the shifter and into the guides. Move the slide indicator down the guides in the front and rear.

Important: Replace the shifter indicator lens if damage is present due to the slider binding or if it becomes damaged during disassembly.

10. Install the shift indicator lens.

11. Install the shift indicator plate.

12. Install the shifter knob. Refer to Floor Shifter Control Knob Replacement in SI.

13. Install the upper console trim. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement-Console Front in SI.

=====================================================

============================================================

Bulletin No.: 05-08-44-010B

Date: November 09, 2005

TECHNICAL
    Subject:
    Radio Displays Locked Message Intermittently (Reprogram Radio)

Models:
    2005 Chevrolet Cobalt
    2005 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

with Radio (RPO U1C)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to provide additional corrective action information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-08-44-010A (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment of the following radio concerns:
    - Inoperative or "dead" CD mechanism

- CD loads but won't play

- CD spins but no audio is heard

- Radio clock displays 12:00 while CD plays

- Radio VF display does not dim when the vehicle dimmer control is decremented

- Radio VF display momentarily flickers

- Radio VF becomes inoperative

- Radio displays ERR

- Radio displays LOC, disabling the radio

If the customer turns the vehicle "off" and then back to "on" the radio message may clear itself and the radio functions normally. This condition may be intermittent.

Cause

Due to a software issue, the radio may not be able to verify the vehicle VIN number and then goes into LOC mode.

Correction

DO NOT REPLACE THE BCM OR RADIO.
    Important: Programming will cause the radio to lose station pre-sets. Note the station presets to they can be reset after programming.

A radio software update (calibration P/N 1327) has been released to address the conditions listed above. The software is available on TIS software update version 11.0 dated 10/30/05, or later.
    Note: Using the software update on a radio other than the part numbers listed below may cause the radio to go "dead" and require replacement.

The software update ONLY applies to the following U1C radio part numbers: 15278465, 15235437, and 22712714. Radios which have been programmed with the new software will have a PROM ID of 052F.
    Important: Verify the PROM ID prior to programming. Use the following steps to verify the PROM ID using the Tech 2(R).

1. Enter "Diagnostics".

2. Select Model Year = "2005".

3. Select Vehicle Type = "Passenger Car".

4. Select Make = "Chevrolet".

5. Select Product Line = "A".

6. Select F6: Body and Accessories.

7. Select "Entertainment".

8. Select F4: Module ID Information.

9. Select F1: Radio.

10. If the PROM ID = 052F, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PROGRAM THE RADIO. THIS MAY CAUSE THE RADIO TO GO "DEAD". If the PROM ID is anything other than 052F, proceed with programming using the steps listed below.

Reprogram the radio using the Tech 2(R). If using Tech 2(R) software version 25.010 or later, programming can be done using the "remote" method. If using an earlier version of Tech 2(R) software, programming must be done following these steps for "pass-thru" programming:
    1. Enter SPS Programming.

2. Select Pass-Thru Programming.

3. Build the vehicle (i.e. year, make and model).

4. Verify the VIN.

5. Select the RAD (Radio) module for programming.

6. Select "Base Radio" (RPO U1C).

7. After programming is complete, the screen will instruct you to turn the ignition off for 30 seconds.

8. Reset the clock and station presets.

Warranty Information
    Thank you so much ~ I'm trying to hard to research enough so that I can walk in there and sound like I know what I"m talking about. any more info is always appreciated, but I will see how I do with this...
  • sarah_duhsarah_duh Member Posts: 1
    My Cobalt was having issues with the motor in the steering wheel turning on and jerking the wheel back and forth. I had taken it to several different car shops, avoiding the dealer like the plague, but nobody could figure out what was causing the steering wheel to shake and the helicopter-like sound coming from under the hood.
    I finally took it to the local dealer and they were so helpful, it was refreshing. I bough my cobalt used and was told there was no warranty left on it, but the gentleman who helped me found out that there was one, it just hadn't been transferred to me. Despite that, he considered it still warranteed and investigated the problem.
    It turned out that GM had issued a bulletin stating if you can't get the vehicle to replicate the noise or the shaking, don't do anything about it. Under the off-chance that you can replicate the issues, the motor in the steering wheel needs replacing. The man who helped me couldn't replicate the problem as it only happens at freeway speeds, but he ordered the new part and will be installing it in 3 business days. He said he likes to treat his customer's and their vehicles as he would want himself and his vehicles treated. Now that is what customer service is about.
    Other than that, my Lazer Blue Cobalt LS Coupe has been nothing but a dream. I'm the 4th owner of that baby, I've put nearly 8,000 miles on it since late December when I bought it, and it still runs like a champ. Sound system still works great, she still looooves to go fast, and the seats are still comfy for my frequent 2-hour drives on the weekends. And who the hell thinks those things have small back seats? You can't fit 3 full grown adults because Americans are FAT, but trust me, they definitely leave enough room to party. Or move.
    The lazer blue cobalt coupe was my dream car from the moment I saw it, and honestly, it still is. :shades:
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    The rear seat is a little tight but that wouldn't deter me from buying the car. Three average sized adults can fit back there but I wouldn't want to be back there for any long drive. The tight seat situation is pretty common in the compact car class so this isn't just a Cobalt thing. Yes, I agree most Americans need to stop eating.

The Cobalt was one of the first cars to have the electric steering instead of the typical power steering drive belt that robs gas mileage. The had issues with the power steering motor for the first couple years of production including its tendency to over-react to steering input. From what I hear everything has been corrected and electric power steering is now found in many brands of cars now.
  • jane28jane28 Member Posts: 3
    Hey what was the solution on any one who had the power door lock issue? My car is unlocking/locking itself when it is off or on.. randomly throughout the day. Can anyone help me with this.
    I haven't had that issue with my Cobalt, though I did have it with my first car - a Corsica. Ended up being the beginning of the death of that car.
    Is it sporadically or only when you reach high speeds?
    very sporadic.. even when the car is off and sitting in the driveway.. just started doing this too.. also.. my door chime started acting up about a month ago for no reason. I would open the door but hadn't left anything on and it would ding.. and then sometimes it doesn't do it. And once.. don't know if this is related.. but I was turning left and my brights were on.. and when I hit my blinker my headlights went out for about a half a second ( as I was turning..) On a VERY dark road. It was scary.. the dealer said I probably clicked the lights off while I was turning on the blinker.. it hasn't happened again but I don't really think that was it. I hope this car doesn't die. I am SO upside down.
    I forgot this, but another thing that started a few days before the crazy locking/unlocking started.. is that my passenger window won't roll down from the passenger control. It would roll up.. but not down.. and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. But from my driver control, it all worked.. so weird.
  • tclifftcliff Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 cobalt stalled out starting in July 07 every time I turned Right..not left, not straight..only right. This after owning it 6 months.. The digital indicator panel would go crazy too. Dealer put a data recorder on it for over a month..no good cause was found. They told me to remove all the keys from my key ring and just use the iginition key by itself. BAD answer..but it has worked ok now over a year. No stalling or indicator problems. Also, sometimes radio goes LOCKED..restart fixes it.
  • tclifftcliff Member Posts: 2
    You're correct that the stalling problem some of us have is very dangerous. Very easy to get rear-ended while we coast along trying to re-start the car in neutral. has happened to me many times (05 cobalt). Dealer said to remove all keys from my key ring and just use the one ignition key..so far so good (1 year now). But this problem is more widespread than I thought.
  • virtualwolfvirtualwolf Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2007 Chevy Cobalt LT (Program Car) about 4 months ago. It has the Power Sunroof, Heated Seats, Leather Seats, Pioneer Stereo, Alloy Wheels, etc. About 3 days after I got the car the moulding around the power switch for the sunroof fell out of the ceiling along with the switch itself. I have now brought the car back 3 times to have this fixed and it is still not fixed. It lasts about 3 days and then falls apart. I have called Chevrolet and they don’t really seem to care that I have to keep taking it back to the dealer over and over. They are making me bring it back to the same dealer because it started happening while it was still under warranty. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can go about getting this resolved for good? Also, does anyone know what the package this car has is called?

Thank you to all who reply…
  • mike13083mike13083 Member Posts: 1
    i dont know if you got this problem fixed yet or not. but what you should o bc the battery is in the trunk is just ground on the battery and run the remote turn on wire off the battery as well not a fuse. then put a toggle switch on that line somewhere that you can reach easy. then just flip that switch to shut down the amp.
  • allenlynnallenlynn Member Posts: 6
    We recently got a 2005 Cobalt sedan(Chev. certified used car) for daughter. It has about 45,000 miles. She was driving to school and the panel lit up with TC warning light(enhanced traction system) and Check engine light. Alert bells were sounding, and she lost power steering, and the car wanted to speed up and then slow down without giving it any gas.. Down below the shifter panel(automatic transmission) there were clicking noises through all the gears, even though it was in drive. She managed to get it pulled over on the side of the road and I had a tow truck come and take it to the dealer we got it from in July. If my daughter had been passing another car when that happened, she could of been killed. As of today, and the dealer has had the car for two days they do not have a clue what is wrong with it. Anyone had the same experience . I done told them if the problems cannot be fixed they can ship the car back to Chevolet, the death trap is not coming home with me.
    I haven't heard anything about the traction control error but there have been some cars including Toyota with the electric steering that have had issues such as you describe. I have only heard about this with the early model Cobalts.
    Do you know what year they started making Cobalts? Since our car was a 3 year lease before we bought it and I made a copy of the first title for reasons of getting ahold of original owners, to check to see what repairs they had done. I have yet to locate them, and was wondering, since it was a lease, if a person could check through GM or Chevolet to see if any background there on same problems before we got it.? Thanks for any info.
  • kuhlkuhl Member Posts: 5
    As the owner of a 2005 cobalt, I can tell you that these problems are all very similar to what I have experienced. The lights will go completely out when turn signal, brights or reg beam are switched to, stereo will unlock if you can leave it sit for at least an hour, running but not moving, the pin in the shifter is likely to dislodge, leaving you to be unable to take your key out, and there is a throttle relay valve on the engine that burns up quickly, leaving your car without proper circulation of gas, oil and power steering fluid. I have now had to replace my engine with a newer 2007 engine, the shifter column is still all taken apart, and am hoping the engine will solve the electrical problems as well, altho the chances of this are only so so. This was the first car I ever paid for in full, and it is a mess! I have become much stronger in walking the mile and 1/2 to work each way!
    The only solution is to keep a set of entry buttons or keys in your pocket at all times! one set for the car, one set in your pocket, this way, you can start the car on early mornings and then not have to stand out and freeze until "it decides" to unlock and let you back in. Sounds crazy but this car is a trip!
    This problem is the throttle relay valve on the engine. While you are not getting gas, neither is your engine getting it's needed oil (or power steering fluid!). Take it from a new engine buyer!
    It came out in 2004 as a 2005 model.
  • pvanhousepvanhouse Member Posts: 9
    Finally got the problem fixed. BTW this is an '05 Cobalt with about 66k miles...but the stalling problem has been around almost since I bought it. Other symptoms. Occasionally when vehicle is started the windshield wipers come on very slowly and can't be turned off...and the rear defrost is turned on and won't turn off.

I tried everything at the dealer from a lengthy typed summary of the symptoms and what I was doing at the time to offering to show the mechanic videos of the malfunction. With just a couple-thousand miles left on the extended warranty it finally misbehaved for a service tech. I asked if he had time to hook up equipment to see what the problem was and was told no....they just figured it was the "Body Control Module." It was replaced and all has been good for a bit over 1000 miles.

This is the same diagnosis my wife got at a small Chevy dealership somewhere in the middle of Arkansas (they didn't see it happen...they just analyzed the symptoms). But they didn't have the part any my wife didn't have time to spend a day there waiting for it. Even with a diagnosis in hand nobody else would listen.

Kind of upsetting that all the mechanic had to do was see it happen in person when I offered a video showing the same thing. I was under the impression they had to both see it happen and hook up some analysis equipment.
  • humphrey_mchumphrey_mc Member Posts: 5
    Yes! I have an 06 Cobalt and this same thing keeps happening to me with my two-year old in the car! Warning lights and random things are displayed, gauges shut off, and the car speeds up and wont stop easily. My gauges also click while this is happening. Please let me know if you ever found out what was wrong and how much to repair.
  • pvanhousepvanhouse Member Posts: 9
    In my case it was the "Body Control Module." This was diagnosed by a mechanic in a small Chevy Dealer in Arkansas...but they didn't have the part and my wife didn't have time to wait. No other service people would listen to me (or to him.) I even had a movie on my cell phone of the car stalling out. They would not replace it until it happened to them. If yours is like mine it will take a long time for that to happen.

My daughter has an '08 HHR (same chassis..bigger engine) and has not had any mechanical problems at all through 10-months/15k miles
  • cmtracycmtracy Member Posts: 8
    Hi, My 06 Cobalt started with the radio at 15K miles, then gas tank at 17K, it was in the dealers for repairs 7 times, 4 times with it completely shutting down on me on a major parkway here in Pittsburgh PA, summer and winter.
    Unfortunately I didn't realize it was a lemon at first, I only had the car for 1 year.
    I couldn't take condescending comments from the service mgr at dealer and luckily called Lemon Law attornies that did help me get some money out of GM.

I knew someone that worked at the Lordstown Ohio GM plant that made the Cobalt, and he told me that the 05 and 06 had alot of electrical issues.
    This is so terrible what is going on. I told that clown at the dealer before all this GM bankruptcy stuff, that he should be grateful that I bought a GM car. He still had the attitude and refused to admit this car was a devil. I showed him this website a year ago when I still had the stupid car and he laughed at me! Hysterical woman he said....I'm lucky to be alive.
    Funny, the Lemon Law attorney settled for me with GM in only 3 weeks but I still lost money on trade since I only had for 1 year. Unbelievable.
    GM knew there were problems with 05 and 06 Cobalts. Govt isn't bailing us out for GM's failures....
    They had replaced the Body Control Module the first visit and it was acting up in 3 days , and the second time the Chevolet service bay manager did some research and they replaced the ignition switch and knock on wood, it has not given her any problems for a few months. Their service manager did let it slip his wife had a 2006 Cobalt and the more he talked, the more issues he had with their Cobalt. They do not want to hear about what you had found out on Edmunds Car Space, they do not go there. The ignition switch was covered under warrantly and it seemed the price with labor was less 75.00. I do like the Cobalt.It rides so much better than my Malibu and I love the heated seat.
    Hi, I printed out all my pages of the website last year regarding 05 and 06 Cobalts as part of my Lemon Law lawsuit, the attorney told me that GM "paid attention" to Edmunds. com with all my service calls attached. So I disagree with that they don't pay attention, they just don't want to admit it to the consumers that they sell a bad product. I loved my cobalt too but then when I was almost killed in it on an icey highway, i hated it. I guess every state varies with Lemon Law attorneys but I did not have to pay a dime, I had a great paper trail, taking off from work, arguing with service manager and my Edmunds.com paperwork so it did help.
    Please don't make a judgement until you research your rights with the Lemon Law in your state. Edmunds.com made a big impact for me, per my atttorney.
  • bzinkcbzinkc Member Posts: 1
    My son just purchased a 2005 Cobalt. He drove it to work the first day he had it (yesterday) and when he was getting out of the car, the key was stuck in the ignition. He just left it in there, and when he got off work he got in his car to head home, and the dang thing wouldn't start. It is at the dealership as I am writing this. The dealership is telling us that the modules may be burned.(?) Anyone care to ballpark the cost of fixing that?
    I hope the Cobalt came with the month bumper to bumper warranty. I had trouble with lights coming on in the dash(see one of my other posts) and they was replacing a speed control valve and it doing the same thing, they replaced the ignition switch, which was considered faulty. I bought this car a certified preowned car and it was covered by warranty, but the parts and labor on car was about $70.00.So far, knock on wood and God look after and protect my daughter in her car, nothing has happened since. Tammy
    Hello friends. I have been having problems with my car too. I am not under warranty and can not afford to take my car to the shop every time this happens (car shuts down.) I have found the U.S Department of Transportation's website for Defects and Recalls. You can file a complaint in less than two minutes. Hopefully, if there are enough complaints, we might see some action and less people will be put in danger with these faulty cars. Please go this site to file a complaint on the electric issues with the Cobalt:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
    What is your electrical issue that needs a recall?
    My car was shutting off in the middle of driving. The engine would still run but it would jump like I was poorly shifing a manual (my car is an automatic.) My car's gauges would shut off and the display would read "Low Fuel" and "Power Steering." This was happening several times a day and then my car was starting to not start in the mornings. I have taken it to my wonderful mechanic and had the ignition switch replaced. No problems since but very hard to diagnose.
    Yes, that sounds like a recall safety issue.
  • cochise1962cochise1962 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2005 cobalt. the key broke off in the ignition and it has been removed, but the car want start. Is there a safety device or a way to reset the switch or device?
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I think you will have to get the ignition switch replaced. I had mine done about a week ago. It only cost $120 for part and labor. Unfortunately for me, my car still shuts off when driving.
  • denise70denise70 Member Posts: 2
    Hello cmtracy, I am having the same problems with my 06 Cobalt. When I back up, the car shuts off, when i stop in traffic, and if I press on the brakes too hard the car will shut off. I am lucky it cranks back up. A guy that work with my mom, he has an 06 Cobalt and his car is doing the same thing. My sister have an 06 and her key keep getting stuck in the ignition and just the other day her engine light came on but went off. What is there for us to do? Do we need to file a class action against GM?
    Have you spoke with your dealers service department? The ignition issue is a known issue for the first few years. Your ignition switch probably needs to be replaced. Also, don't hang a lot of keys on your ignition key because the weight will mess things up.
  • denise70denise70 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I have spoken to my service department at both dealerships and they claim that they have not heard of these problems with the cobalts. Now this is too many people having the same problems with these cars. What can we do? I think we need to file a class action against GM. They already are doing bad, so the least they can do is satisfy their customers. :)
    If two dealerships are unaware of the issue then I would call the number for GM in your owners manual. They should offer some kind of guidence.
    Hi Denise 70, This is so unfortunate that all of us had major problems with these cars. I am lucky to be alive considering it stalled on me on a major highway.
    The dealer was no help. Of course the service manager claimed GM doesn't care what Edmunds website states.
    I asked the Lemon Law attorney in PA who helped me reach a settlement.
    GM did not want to help me out. I couldn't even reach a person that spoke English.
    They first offered me after many calls, free tire rotation and oil change for 1 year.
    Big deal, if the car is a death trap, that wouldn't help me.

I really believe that the 06 cobalt had problems along with the trailblazer, I saw a local story here in Pittsburgh about Chevy with most Lemon law complaints.
    I don't think class action will have any weight since they are in dire straits.

This car cost me so much stress and money, I got rid of it but have the negative equity for years. I was too scared to drive it anymore.
  • co5893co5893 Member Posts: 1
    @ 35k my ignition key no longer goes past "acc" and stays in. Of course this happens as Im on a trip to FL from NY. Alone. Locking the car up becomes an issue then. On some shut downs it pulls right out. Took it to two dealers one in FL and back at where I bought it. "yup its stuck " is what I hear. Im now at 36k of course and it is no longer under warranty. Been a lot of $$ parts so far for such a young car. Sorry to say but my Fiero gives me less crap for being 23 years old.
    :sick:
  • whoareyou310whoareyou310 Member Posts: 2
    I have just had this same problem with my 05 cobalt, I was on an interstate going 80 mph at the time, I almost died with semi trucks all around me, and the dealer said I have a bad "body control module", and it was dumb luck that this has happened. this is all within 2 weeks of having to replace my left front control arm bushing and replacing my shifter because of a bad solenoid. The dealer told me he has not seen this before in cobalts. I call BS on that one. Yet there are no recalls for this, and I almost died yesterday on the freeway. Should I call CHEVY??
  • dr_no_1dr_no_1 Member Posts: 2
    I know this is a very old posting, but there seems much recent activity as well. I own a 2006 Cobalt, and have JUST recently had a problem where my battery is being drained by an unknown draw. at the same time this happened, i could hear on my radio a dip in "power" when folks were talking(i listen to AM Sportstalk) and it was an obvious draw on the power. if i let it site a couple of days, the battery would be dead. Now its a few hours. I have just spent a few hours trying to find a shorted line on the back of the radio as the front left speaker has never consistently stayed on. Nothing visible. So then i read these postings on Electrical problems and i seem to have hit the place. I too have had problems with the key not coming out of the ignition, and having to "wiggle" the shifter button until the key would turn back enough to come out. one post here said that they had this problem, and due to it, the clock on the radio didn't turn off and their battery died.

This seems like my exact problem. Would anyone else concur? i saw one post that said they had a short in their radio and it had to be replaced. i have taken the dash apart and unplugged the radio(i know i could have pulled the fuse, but was looking for an arced wire anyway). i have charged the battery with the radio out of the loop and am going to check in the morning to see if it will start, hopefully isolating this issue to the radio.

But the shifter issue seems to be the problem that has manifested itself by making the radio controls screwy( the steering wheel controls work sporadically, and the digital display is all messed up and wont allow you to reset the clock or other settings with any kind of ease as they stay in the "input" mode for a second or two only).

Does anyone concur that the shifter could cause all of this, or do i have a bad radio causing a drain on my battery or both?

any insight is greatly appreciated. I'm over 3 years as its late 2009, and over 60 k in miles with almost 70, and i dont wanna pay a dealer 300 bucks to fix a known issue they wont tell me about.

Thanks!
    My 06 Cobalt started with daytime running lights not working, stereo, gas tank not reading correctly. I was told my dealer, same old tune- sensor, sensor....
    so i would think maybe computer problem sensor. I started having problems at 17K miles but didnt think of the nightmare that was to follow with my car stalling so many times almost killing me. I also had the key issue.
    I am sorry to say but i think out of all the cobalts made in 05 and 06 that had bugs in them, i was unlucky to buy one.
    I saw the postings on this website, the dealer laughed at me when i showed him all the postings. GM was very rude to me and offered me 1 year free oil and tire rotations.
    BIG DEAL, my car was haunted. I was lucky to have a lemon law attorney in PA to take my case. He settled with GM in 3 weeks. I could not trust the car was fixed.
    It was at dealer 7 times. i was offered by dealer to trade in for trailblazer
    which i found out later, trailblazer had stalling problems also.

I am so sorry that all of us had so many problems with cobalts.
    To make matters worse, our tax money went to fat cats GMAC, and GM
    and i'm in the hole now financially cuz i traded the crappy car in and lost money.
    The day i wanted to trade in my cobalt, the key got stuck! i had to come back next day praying it wouldnt get stuck again.

GM got bailed out, no one bailed us out with these car issues.
    GM treated me bad, so did dealer.
  • dr_no_1dr_no_1 Member Posts: 2
    An Update to my posting:

I took the information from this forum and had the shifter replaced on my 2006 cobalt yesterday. Now i'm faced with another problem. the Shifter issue shorted my radio. that remains as a draw on my battery.

The dealer said when i picked the car up that the microswitch in the shifter indeed had failed, and that was causing the main draw on my battery(which oh by the way was bad and not taking a charge, so add another cnote + to my bill). but when i picked it up, they told me, "Well, the clock display on your radio is still displaying, you might need to replace it."

Thats the WHOLE reason i went in there in the first place! so now the dealer says, "Well, its not a large draw at all on the battery, we did a draw test on it. I'll call the place in NY that we do radio exchanges with on Monday to see what that would run you." i asked ballpark and he shot back 2-3 HUNDRED dollars.

Thats to replace a fully functioning radio that got fried by a malfunctioning switch that clearly is a known issue to GM.

so i'm looking at at least 600 bucks to get back to fine. I'm so livid i cannot see straight.

Currently creating an email to send to Susan E. Docherty Vice President, U.S. Sales, Frederick A. Henderson President and Chief Executive Officer, Kevin W. Williams Vice President and General Manager, Service and Parts Operations along with my dealership.

I asked my dealer(who was toting the company line and claimed to know little of what i was talking about when I said the number of issues with these year and model Cobalts electrical systems were outstanding) if there were any recalls. they of course said no. but they didnt say ANYTHING when i called out the model and said there are HUNDREDS of issues out there and i started citing symptoms and causes. Usually you'd get reassurance or at least the cheesy salesmanship that would try to deflect blame.

Nothing but Crickets when standing face to face with them. Another tell tale sign of KNOWING that the car is a POS, and not being able to own up to it.

I have owned 8 GM cars in my life. EIGHT. I have always driven GM products because I loved the lines they offered, and never had issues. Heck I also own a Venture Van, which has many many issues online that i've seen, and that i've had to put some work into recently, but it's TEN YEARS OLD and running strong for the most part. We were looking at a replacement for it in an Enclave or Equinox or Traverse as recently as July of this year.

I'm not going to be looking to do that now.
  • linkinpark789linkinpark789 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my cobalt summer of 05. no more that 6 months into it the problems began. I have had my cluster replaced because of shorts, also i have had my blower replaced on my a/c unit. I have had both of my interior door panels replaced twice because the fabric was peeling around the handles, and i have had the radio replaced twice because of shorts. Now the foil on my door handles is bubbling and peeling, my chevy sign in the rear is peeling, and my radio still doesn't fully work, holds on to cds. The cherry on top is that now my power steering light comes on and i lose my power steering, i turn my car off and it resets but only for a short time, sometimes a hour sometimes 5 mins. Ever try to turn 180 degrees without power steering, not fun.
  • linkinpark789linkinpark789 Member Posts: 2
    It sounds like alot of the problems that you have i have as well but i only have 62k on my car. Im going to the dealership today and going to see how gm takes care of this issue. If you want check my post.
  • bigboobigboo Member Posts: 1
    so i bought a used 2005 cobalt early december and i liked it alot at first. then about 2 weeks later i started to have problems with the key getting stuck in the ignition and getting out. the problem wasnt major at first but then one night i tried to turn the car off and it wouldnt go off all the way and the key got stuck. so i finally got it out and went to bed. i woke up the next morning and my car was dead. i was assuming it was because my car wasnt able to turn off all the way and the battery drained all night. so i tried to jump it with another car but after i hooked it up i wasnt even hearing the car turn over. the car completely locked up and the security light kept flashing. i had no idea what was going on but i knew it had something to do with the key ignition. this was all after i had the car for 3 weeks. so i had to have the car towed to the dealership and they told me it was a ignition cylinder that was shot and something else with the ignition switch. they said with all parts and labor it was gonna cost close to 600. i was pissed so i complained and since it was so close to when i bought it they did it for free. so i thought i would put it on here because i noticed a lot of people are having this same problem and dont know what it is.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    A common problem with 05s and 6s. We've found those that have a lot of junk on the key chains are more prone to this issue.
  • lc20104lc20104 Member Posts: 1
    So my son has a 2007 colbalt yesterday 1-7-2010 the headlights would not turn off so he decides to unhook the battery until we can afford to get it fixed then today he goes out and forgets and puts the keys in the ignition and the trunk release won't open the trunk so he can put the terminals back on the battery and now of course the key is stuck in the ignition, there is no way to get in trunk unless you are in the trunk this is so redicoulous, there has got to be something we can do to get gm to fix this mess, any ideas on how to get in trunk please let me know, thanks lisa