Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cobalt Audio Questions

tcobalt06tcobalt06 Member Posts: 1
I own a 2006 cobalt coupe ls, and i'm planning on putting my stereo system in it... but in order for me to do that i need to replace the stereo with my head unit. does anyone know how to remove the trim without breaking it? or if you need any special keys after the trim is removed? :confuse:

Comments

• jleslie48jleslie48 Member Posts: 2
    it seems to reset every time I switch the station the equilizer resets itself. I hate that.
  • ferrisbeullerferrisbeuller Member Posts: 1
    The EQ is NOT resetting itself, it actually stores the EQ setting for each station. So, if station #1 is a rock station, set it to rock, then switch to another station and set it to another EQ setting. Go back to the first station and the EQ should be reset to rock for that station. I don't have the MP3 stereo, but that's how mine works.

I've had more problems with the gas gauge--it said that I had a 1/4 of a tank and the car would not start. Unfortunately, I had it towed to a chevy dealer and the mech wrote "2 gals of gas = engine run". I felt like an idiot, but they claimed they reset the "IPC" (computer) but it happened again within a week--this time it showed a 1/3 tank. I filled it up completely and now it seems better.. who knows.
  • gvsunursegvsunurse Member Posts: 28
    I had to "fix" this in my aunt's Equinox too...it's quite simple...you just program the equilizer you want with the station...so pick the equilizer and re-program it and you should be all set. The dealer should have explained that to you...
  • airmn65airmn65 Member Posts: 14
    I would NOT attempt to change that sound system, or play with the dashboard!! You could really tear things up badly.My LTZ has an: AM/FM/CD. 7 speaker sound system,with a sub-woofer mounted in the trunk!! All standard and the system sounds GREAT!! I love it. You just may need to play with the equalizer/sound selector button to get the sound you like best, but I personally would NOT change it!! Mine sounds very good and VERY loud!! Well...Good luck.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    To each his own, but I agree, I wouldn't change the stereo of any new car with an aftermarket unit. Factory car stereo's for the last 10-15 years are very good and in my opinion (especially the Delco's) are as good as the aftermarket. I have always replaced head units in my auto's in the past with Alpine head units and amplifier, but I will no longer do that in the future.
  • airmn65airmn65 Member Posts: 14
    Also...Changing your audio system just might void your warrenty as far as electrical problems go. I still would leave it alone....For now!!
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    www.crutchfield.com has a lot of do it yourself tools, instructions, parts.

I agree with others that the factory stereo is quite good. It is limited principally by the small speakers (small due to the size of the doors and location of glass etc.). Crutchfield has tons of replacement speakers to play with. One option would be to replace the rear speakers, which are larger, with higher quality speakers. And possibly add a power amp to drive the newer speakers (better speakers are sometimes less power efficient, hence the need to place an amp after the head unit, before the speakers).

But I'd keep the head unit, it's probably as good as you'll get.
  • bugeyes2005bugeyes2005 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Cobalt with the 7 speaker system w/228 watt amp. Does anybody know where the amp is located at in the car??
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Check under the front seats. If not there, call a dealer... :confuse:
  • dkurrledkurrle Member Posts: 20
    my girlfriend is thinking of buyin a cobalt without the truck subwoofer. I found a subwoofer out of a cobalt that i could probably install, but does the subwoofer have a built in amp, or would i need to buy an after market amp? Also does the stock stereo have outputs for an after market amp?? any help would be appreciated
  • golfgti4789golfgti4789 Member Posts: 20
    does anyone know if i can switch my 2006 head unit to the newer,updated 2007 head unit? Thanks!
  • mheroismherois Member Posts: 2
    i just got a 07 cobalt Ls and i want to keep the factory stereo and install my 12" subwoofers and amp is there a module that allows you to connect it all without putting in a aftermarket head unit??
  • kittychick314kittychick314 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same EQ problems with my '05 Cobalt. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain it to me! My boyfriend works with electronics all day and he couldn't even figure it out! Glad it's not something too serious! I will try to reset my stations!! Thanks again!
  • atomicsharkatomicshark Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if anyone knows the specific specs for the standard audio system on the Cobalt LS and LT1?

I know it is a four speaker system with XM, CD with MP3 capability and an AUX-IN, but I can't find any info on the power of the amp and the capability of the speakers.

Thanks in advance.
  • cobaltdyancobaltdyan Member Posts: 1
    I'm wanting to hook up a new head unit with bluetooth connections but i dont know how to remove the dash without ruining it. Any advice??? :confuse:
  • cadelesscadeless Member Posts: 4
    Not sure if this was covered yet but, My 05's warrenty just ran out and so i want to put my subs in, Nothin big, 2 10's at 300 W each, I have the pioneer factory head, 7, and trunk sub, not wanting to get rid of the pioneer head, but not sure if I can add another amp at the back of the head, or splice before the stock amp, and add the 10's there, or im open to ideas, and like every other post, Does anyone know how to get the dash appart?
  • sethy32sethy32 Member Posts: 3
    the best thing to do is have it professionally done. the cobalts have a very complicated stereo. i had to have an adaptor put in mine because there was so much stuff tied into my stock stereo.
    i'm pretty sure its right behind the stock subwoofer...if you look on top kinda behind the sub you can see the different wires.
    yes you can connect it to the stock head unit there is an adaptor thats used and an rca output box that needs to be installed. its pretty simple and not that much extra. $.
  • billylopezbillylopez Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2005 cobalt and i want to take the stereo out to see if i can connect an mp3 player somewhere in the back since it doesnt have an aux input jack in front. does anyone know for sure if the stock stereo even has that in the back??
  • billylopezbillylopez Member Posts: 3
    do you have an idea of how i can take the stereo out...... or where i could find something to tell me how to take it out????
    There is probably a schematic sheet somewhere that explains how to do it but I couldn't tell you. I thought someone had posted that it has the connections at the back or you can use an adapter of some kind.
  • cnancnan Member Posts: 1
    does the 06 stock stereo in a cobalt have an auxillary input?
    I believe so but I can't say for sure. Try a google search if no one with an 06 responds.
  • xomissbxoxomissbxo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Cobalt LT that I have had just over a year. My question concerns the XM Radio feature. When I look at the radio presets in my car, I have about 10 XM presets however I do not have the special antenna to hear them. When I try to listen to them the radio display says XM feature not available. I asked the salesperson who sold me the car and he checked it out and basically said I don't have the XM option eventhough I have presets. Does anyone know why I would have those channels set on my radio? Also, I would like to have XM but I don't want to buy the radio at Best Buy, etc. and spend an arm and a leg. Does anyone know if I can somehow (through the dealership or anywhere else) get the XM antenna and have it installed. I just don't understand why I have presets for it! Thanks in advance for the help!
  • expwymanexpwyman Member Posts: 25
    I bought an 08 LT that does not have audio controls on the steering wheel, and I saw a steering wheel with the controls on sale on Ebay. Does anyone know if the wires for the audio control are there behind the blank trim on the wheel? If so, can I replace the blank with the audio controls and trim?
  • cadelesscadeless Member Posts: 4
    I'm doing some customizing, Painting some trim "Victory Red" to match the exterior. The first pic is the front. The second shows the 6 pins that hold it on. BE WARNED! Very soft plastic! So take the time to get behind each pin and pull straight out rather then prying at the edges. Also know that they are firmly held to the dash. It will take some force. When it finally does give, it will sound like you broke it. The third pic shows how the trim at the top overlaps. So they get to come off as well. Pic four shows their pin locations. Same kind, get behind, pull straight out, The last pic is the front of the three parts that need to come off to access your head unit. Lastly, your DIC buttons, seat warmer switch's, and passenger airbag on/off display, are attached to the back of these parts that your popping out. Will say it again, Very Soft Plastic! If you intend to reattach them when your done, then take the time to un-attach them. When you remove the DIC buttons, Make sure you don't loose your buttons. You will understand when you get to that part.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

• janicedanieljanicedaniel Member Posts: 2
    ALL THE TRIM AROUND YOUR STEREO POPS OFF REAL EASILY THEN YOU NEED A SOCKET TO UNDO FOUR BOLTS STEREO COMES OUT NO PROBLEM MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT HARNESS WHEN YOU PUT IT IN IT RUNS ABOUT $150 ( NO SOUND AND GAUGES WONT WORK IF YOU DONT, BEST BUY HAS WHAT YOU NEED)
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    When I bought my 2006 Impala I ordered the Bose speaker system. It was not much better or actually any better than the standard stereo in an Impala I rented a few months later. I am going to order a 2009 Cobalt in January. Has anyone compared the standard system in the 2LT with the Pioneer 7 speaker system? What do you think? Is it worth the extra money?
    I have wondered that myself. Delco's have always been known as the best stock brand stereo in auto's but to compare that with a Pioneer would be tough unless a dealer had a few cars with different radio's to compare to. I have heard that some vehicles radio reception (HHR) hasn't been as good with these upgraded radio's.

I have always bought Alpine stereo's with every car/truck that I have owned but there is no reason to anymore with these great standard radio's nowadays.
  • just84wvujust84wvu Member Posts: 9
    I noticed in my new '08 that when I play a CD it can't recognize album names, titles, or artist. When using XM I still have issues with not being able to see the artist name and song title at the same time like my standalone did. I liked that cause if there was a song I liked I could remember it with the Cobalt I have to take my hand off the wheel and hit that dumb info button to get the answer its such a waste. It also cannot read the info on CDs like my friends cars can. Putting in the new Coldplay my friend's Nissan stereo can read the songs and album and artist names the Cobalt can't. I even notice problems with signal reception with the XM and FM. XM I get alot of NO XM SIGNAL. I have resent the signal to the car over 15 times this summer just to get it to pick up. Even while I was in Washington DC I had to call and have the signal resent because driving around Northern Virginia the radio displayed NO XM SIGNAL. The car also hates local stations I guess and anything FM. While in Pittsburgh the car wouldn't read the station ID and songs that play on the channel 96.1 KISSFM. In my friend's 2005 Audi it could read the station ID and the songs and artist. While I am here at home our local station does the same deal, my Escape did it, it will show it then freeze and stop moving. All while doing this the station sounds like your trying to pick it up from hundreds of miles away instead of just a few miles since the station and its antenna are located right here in town. Another issue I notice is that while using the AUX hole my iPod sounds awful. Its very quiet even with my iPod turned completely up to MAX and the sound optimizer it has in it doesn't work with the AUX input. Another issue is the quality of the sound. My iPod sounds more like its playing through a clock radio but while using the Griffin iTrip it sounds like a CD. Its really weird but it just adds on top the many problems that are wrong with this car that GM and Chevy won't fix. :lemon:
  • bones214bones214 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 08 cobalt LT i put in a new stereo with the harness that bestbuy sold me for 150$ but i have no signal or dash sound they said that there is no part for an 08 yet. is there any place to go and find what i need or a part number anybody has for me to take to bestbuy
  • cobalt08blackcobalt08black Member Posts: 1
    Hello guys! i recently buy a brand new 2008 cobalt LT. Im planning on changing the soundsystem, but i dont know anything about this. I'd probably change 2 out of 4 speakers maybe 4/4 add a sub in the trunk, but again i dont know what to look for. So if any of you have any tips for me on anything to think of when i shop, or requirements to make my soundsystem work correctly or just sound better i'd really appreciate.

Ty in advance! :)
  • jmckenzie003jmckenzie003 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 09 cobalt lt and i was going to add a subwoofer in the trunk and hope to keep the stock head unit. I got the line out converter and I was trying to find someone that knew which wires on the speakers were positive and negative bc it only says A&B for the wires. Also if anyone knew if they knew were to attach the remote wire to from the amp. Please excuse my ignorance.
  • expwymanexpwyman Member Posts: 25
    I noticed on my new Cobalt that when I play a CD, the elapsed time does not display (this is the upgraded radio/CD with XM, not the base radio). Does anyone know if this is possible, with a reprogram or special key entry?
  • kaylaxodudekaylaxodude Member Posts: 1
    hi , im looking for a system for my car the same one the 2009 cobalt. What speakers did you get ? thanks very much im so dumb founded about this stuff. :confuse:
  • vincent67vincent67 Member Posts: 3
    As is said above, Crutchfield is a good source for aftermarket audio.

I agree that sticking with the stock audio system is best. On my last car, a 99 Ford Contour, I added an aftermarket head unit and speakers. When I put the stock components back in before trade-in, I realized that they sounded okay. The stock speakers weren't as detailed as the Infinity's, but I could hear that difference only when parked; when driving, the road noise obscured that audio detail. I probably could have improved on that by installing an amp, but wasn't comfortable with adding a power-intensive accessory to an electrical system that wasn't specifically designed for it. I know there are beefed-up batteries and coils that are made for this purpose, but that just makes it even more of an engineering Frankenstein. If I had it to do again, I'd install only the head unit (the stock one was a cassette) and leave everything else alone. My LS is just fine in its stock form.
  • diesel87diesel87 Member Posts: 1
    Back in February, I purchased an '09 LS with the Pioneer system, which I have no complaints about. However, I've been missing my Rockford Fosgate subwoofers. I'm almost certain that I'll need the aftermarket head unit as well. My only unanswered question to this point regards the warranty. Has anyone installed or taken their Cobalt anywhere to have audio installed, and is the warranty an issue? :confuse: I don't plan on installing it myself. I'm wondering if I take it to a dealer or the guys at Geek Squad if the warranty can remain intact.

If no one knows, I'll either call the dealer, or enjoy the factory installed system until the warranty runs out.
  • chels87chels87 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Cobalt and I can't play any CDs that I make with lightscribe CDs or any CDs for that matter. Is there a certain format that I have to use or what? I am completely confused and angry about it. I have tried it so many times and it still won't work. What format should I use?
  • franchise3franchise3 Member Posts: 1
    so i have a 2009 cobalt lt and would like to know how many watts are in the stock radio and speakers, it sounds great but just curious cuz i might change speakers, ive looked everywhere and cannot find an answer
  • sabalomsabalom Member Posts: 2
    I wish to know if it is possible to delete an already programmed radio station. The instruction manual doesn't' seem to go into enough detail about this that I can find.

I have a 2009 Cobalt.

I don't want to override one preprogrammed radio station with another, I want to simply make that radio space blank-with no radio station there-awaiting for me to program something into it at a future time. I want it as it was in the beginning, never having been preset or programmed at all yet-(with the possible exceptions of my stations already programmed in).

I bought the car used and someone elses stations are already on there. I simply want them removed. How do I do this? Thanks.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited September 2010
    The number of rows of presets is adjustable using the menu option from 1 to 6. I'd set that back to 1 and I would think that would clear the stations in any other rows allocated.

If you're wanting to clear the first row, I'd look for a fuse that is the memory power for the radio. Removing that fuse should clear the memory after a period of time.

However, I would think you would have stations of your own for the 6 slots in the mandatory 1 row of presets. But if you don't, the memory, or keep alive fuse, is the one to find. I have a factory service manual but I'd check the glovebox manual first to find that fuse.

Just removing the radio fuse shouldn't do it. There may be a separate circuit supplying power all the time, even when the key is OFF.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• sabalomsabalom Member Posts: 2
    Hi and thanks for the reply. You are probably right about the keep alive fuse. I disconnected the regular radio fuse and waited 15 minutes before reinstalling it. All I did was mess the clock and date. The radio stations stayed put.

I did set back to the first row (1) only so I would not have to see the other preset stations and Rows I do not want. Row 1 is all I have and want currently.

Still, the previous owner's radio stations are still there, even if I am not seeing them and I would still like to find a way of clearing them out.

I did not see in my owner's manual anything about a keep live fuse so I don't know where to look for it or even if that option will work.

I hope there is an answer to this problem. Can I contact the radio manufacturer or car manufacturer and ask them? If so, what would be their contact info?

Thanks.
  • personn5personn5 Member Posts: 2
  • personn5personn5 Member Posts: 2
    So I have a Cobalt, 06 Model I believe (may be 07). Whenever I drive I listen to my iPod, have a cable to connect i to the auxillury port and everything. However, over the past few weeks, the sound from it has been progressively getting worse. Basically, the front speakers sound quiet or like they aren't playing at all, and the music is extremely "off", singers can't be heard, however instruments are just fine. Background noise/instruments in songs picks up very well, but anything verbal is quiet.

Turning on the radio itself, everything works just fine. Sounds like normal, and nothing is wrong. I haven't tried out anything in the CD player just yet, though going to do that soon, but I doubt it'll sound different. So far though, it is just when I hook in my iPod.

I've tried two different sets of cables to hook in the iPod, so its not the cable, may just be the port itself. Is there anything I can do about it without having to replace the entire radio? Would rather have a cheap fix if I could, that still sounds decent.