Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Here you go:

http://www.renotoyota.com/service_schedule.htm#Service%20B

Depending on your vehicle's use, just use the appropriate schedule. Many items are inspect or check, which you could probably perform yourself.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    that's a handy chart. All you Toyota owners should bookmark it. thaks Alcan!
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    I replaced the stock air filter on my '03 Avalon with a a TRD oil-coated version. The company claims superior filtration and improved airflow, thus greater power. My initial reaction is that full-throttle acceleration from a standing start is perkier and more willing. I have not yet tried acceleration from cruising speeds.

The owner's manual decribes a few simple do-it-yourself maintenance steps, but changing the air filter is, amazingly, not one of them. It is very obvious what is necessary, but this omission from the manual is bizarre. Installing snow tires and rotating tires (rarely done by most owners - it's left to the service bay) are descrbed in detail. Maybe the air filter isn't considered important!
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    In my previous post I had not evaluated performance of the TRD air filter at highway speeds. Acceleration from 75 mph to 85 mph again seems more sprightly. The key seems to be getting the revs above 4000 rpm, at which point the better breathing of the replacement filter has the most impact. I am previously accustomed to slipping out of overdrive into 3rd gear to use the engine's optimum power and torque characteristics, but always felt that there was something missing. At least part of that surge has been restored, probably about 5 HP worth.
  • tomdisalvotomdisalvo Member Posts: 16
    Hello all. Glad to find such an active forum for the Avalon. I'm doing some legwork for my mom in regards to her Avalon maintenance. She has so-far continued going to the dealership after expiration of the warranty, which is an argument for a later date...

After reading through most of the archives, I've got a few questions on the 60k service:

First, the timing belt. There is no consensus on whether or not the engine is an 'interference' engine. IE - should the timing belt break, will the valves and pistons will smash together in a $2,500 collision? Is this the case with the 3.0? My feeling is to hold off on replacing the belt until 90k, but only if it's not an interference engine. Otherwise I won't take that chance. Any definitive answer would be appreciated.

Second, replacing the spark plugs. What type & mfr are the OEM plugs on an '00? Platinum or Iridium? My mom's dealership is looking for a $100 upcharge to their normal inflated service prices. That charge is what has led me to this forum, BTW. I'd like to change her plugs myself (knowing it's a pain) and don't want to get them from the dealership.

Any guidance would be appreciated. With significant shade-tree mechanic time on my Nissan, hopefully I can contribute to the forum in the future.

Regards,
    TOM
  • nomad56nomad56 Member Posts: 134
    Tom-FYI-CAR Mfg recommendation on the belt is 60k. BELT mfg recommendation is 90k. Toyota's only true "interference" engines are 4 cyl. and were made from 1980-1994. Even the VVTi engine is not an interference engine. NGK "platinum" plugs are available for about $50. -nomad56-
  • tomdisalvotomdisalvo Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the information. Indeed a set of NGK platinum plugs should only cost about $50. I'm glad to hear Toyota doesn't use anything exotic for the plugs. Might you (or someone else) have a specific part number for them? I know there are a range of gaps & temperatures.

Time to break out my socket extensions & universal joints. From my reading, it sounds like the rear bank of plugs, especially #1, is tricky to reach. My next hurdle is also finding her a good local garage for future maintenance. At least in our part of the country (Milwaukee WI), there is an absolute shortage of competent mechanics.

Regards,
    TOM
  • jickajicka Member Posts: 38
    According to the owner's manual, the 2000 Avalon has "Iridium" plugs. In the maintenance book there is no mention of plug replacement specificaly for the Avalon until 120,000 miles.

At the 60,000 mile mark, plug replacement is indicated for the Camry.

Do I argue with the dealer when the 60K service is due?
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    A few thoughts on the spark plug questions here:

Iridium: is a rare platinum type metal and the plugs contain very little of it. The metals are actually combined. Iridium is harder and resists heat a little better but platinum is certainly good enough. At the same time, Toyota offers a warranty based on proper care of a car from a manual and these are two different metals and react differently under stress. Your call...

Changing plugs: They probably can last 120k and still work well enough. But, have you ever tried to *remove* a plug after several years and 120k miles? You might think they were made as part of the cylinder head as you struggle to get it out...and not strip the threads in the engine. Think about this. And, will you still own the car?

Other ideas are always welcome...
  • chilin12chilin12 Member Posts: 9
    Purchased a 2000 XLS Avalon with 82K miles. Planning to keep up to 250K.......what is the kind of maintenance I should do? Timing belt, water pump, tensioners.........what else? Experts on this forum please advise.
    Obafunque
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Chilin12 --Try this website for a very comprehensive maintenance Schedule.
    http://www.renotoyota.com/Recommended_Maintenance_Schedule.htm
    Thanks bwia but the miles in my Avy is greater than 60K as mentioned in the site you recommended. Anyone else could give a more concrete suggestion? I have no record of previous maintenance on this car but looks it was kept well maintained ( it was a lease car)
    NOTE: I am living in Texas ( Houston Area)
    chilin12

This is courtesy of Boch Toyota (Norwood Mass) and I had to retype these (ouch!). According to Boch, for optimum performance, oil changes every 5,000 miles will help improve your investment

90,000 miles or every 24 months

Preferred Care

Factory recommendations

• Replace engine oil and filter

• Rotate Tires

• Replace ATM/differential fluid

• Replace transfer case/differential fluid

• Replace spark plugs (non platinum)

• Replace coolant

• Repack rear wheel bearings

Inspect the following:

• Exhaust pipes/mountings

• Brake linings, disks, lines and hoses

• Steering linkage

• Rack and pinion for leaks

• Ball joints/boots

• Air filter

• Drive belts

• Fuel tank cap gasket

• Fuel lines, hoses, connections

• Body/chassis bolts and nuts

Preferred Care Plus – Recommended by dealer

• 19-point inspection

• Service battery

• Replace fuel filter

• Fuel injector service

• Adjust idle/fast idle

• Replace air conditioning filter

• Replace PCV valve

• Clean throttle plate

• Lube steering stops

• Lube locks, latches and hinges

• Inspect rotors, wires

• BG tune kits

120,000 miles or every 72 months Service

Same as above plus these

• Replace timing belt

I hope this helps
    BWIA: Thanks, your information is very helpful. I noticed that no timing belt replacement is mentioned at the 90K interval???? Is because is chain instead of rubber belt? Just curiosity.
    chilin12 --- according to the Boch maintenace schedule the timing belt should be replaced at 60,000 mile intervals. Since you've already passed the first milestone I assumed that you or the prior owner had already changed the timing belt/chain.

I hope this helps.

BTW, I encountered my first repair. The center mounted brake light on my '00 Avalon failed. This has never happened in any of my prior automobiles.
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Nomad56:

I need a little diagnosis help please. The weather has been very rainy here in Northern NY State, and every AM I get in, the belts or the spindles, make noise, that make it sound like a piece of junk. I tried spraying belt dressing on it, but had limited success. Do the spindles or round relays need some WD-40 or do I need to get in there and adjust the belts??? After the car runs awhile, the belt noise is practically non-existent.

Thanks.

abfisch
    ab-Not enough info yet... But, I will try to get us closer: 1st-Belt dressing IMO should not be sold! You can just turn up the stereo to cover the noise, and it lasts longer. However, if that offers temporary relief, it is probably belt squeak and NOT bearing squeak. By "relays" I am assuming you mean tensioners. These can/do go bad. Do not put WD40 on 'em. That seems to have more of a cleaning effect than long-lasting lubrucation. Is it only happening when it is wet out??? This leads me to believe it is belt slippage(I'll put a dollar on it) Wet pulleys + loose belt = squeek. You must do 2 things:

1)Check the belt. Is it visibly worn and how old is it?? Belts can be worn and not really look worn out.

2)Check the belt tension, which leads to two items to check:
    a-A worn belt(see #1). They stretch.
    b-A BAD tensioner. I've seen it happen, but it's not common. I do the tensioners with timing belt/waterpump service.

I hope this gets ya' closer...Sorry for delays to the questions that were directed at me, but it looks like others in the forum got my back(Thanks!) I am travelling alot right now and spare time/computer time is minimal! -nomad56-
    Nomad56:

Thanks man. The belt dressing did take away all noise, so I gotta think it is belts that need to be addressed, with 52K on the odo, probably just an adjustment.

Tell me about the tensioners and replacement with the timing belt/waterpump service at 100K since I am ignorant on this matter, and would like to do any proactive maintenance, ONCE, if possible. I hate to have them touch any machine I own, and I am not prepared to do those repairs myself. Maintenance yes, repairs sometimes when simple.

Thanks again.

abfisch
  • nonfibnonfib Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem for a long time until I replaced the serpentine belt. try that
  • hawiianavownerhawiianavowner Member Posts: 76
    If the noise went away when you sprayed dressing on the uppermost belt, and returns when you turn on the a/c, it is the DRIVE belt that needs adjusting/tensioning/replacing which you can do yourself (see post #'s 451 & 2). The other belt is more difficult to reach, if not making noise I'd wait for the tming chain/waterpump service since they'll be removing it anyway.
  • txgeezertxgeezer Member Posts: 12
    bwia -- Funny, the center brake light was one of the first repairs on my used (pre-owned) '99 (bought Sep. '03).
  • biggvilbiggvil Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 1998 Avalon XLS with 90k miles from a very reliable source (my father) who has owned the car since it was new. He has not had the timing belt changed but has done all the other services regularly. Is there anything special that I know about this car at this mileage? Also, I have a specific question about the shocks/struts and when they should be changed? I prefer a little bit sportier ride but maybe the shocks are just worn.
    You have a good car and you will find a lot of information on these boards if you scroll back thru the last year's topics and posts. Read them all. Comments on the shocks/struts are frequent as this is a much discussed item with Avalon.

The manual probably says replace the timing belt at 90k. Good idea. Keep up all regular service per the manual at a good dealer or independent shop. I use a Toyota dealer but many here go independent or even DIY for routine things.

The main thing you should know about your Avalon is that the car is capable of 200k comfortable miles, or more, if you take care of it. My '99 XL was near perfect at 92k when I purchased a new '03. The '03 has had the battery replaced, but that's it, in 2 years and 40k miles. Enjoy the quality ride.....
  • elrlawelrlaw Member Posts: 20
    When driving my '02 Avalon XL (40,000 miles) under about 35 MPH and after the car has been driven about 5 miles, I get a high pitched squeaking sound coming from underneath the car. It sounds like two unlubricated pieces of metal quickly spinning on each other. When I speed up above 40 MPH the sound stops. It also stops when I apply the brakes. I seem to get an inordinate amount of brake dust on my wheel covers too. Does anyone have any theories about possible sources of the squeak and possible remedies? Thanks, Eric
    elrlaw:

Have an 02 Avalon also. Squeak sounds from the description above like a belt issue. I had the same and ask Toyota to readjust the belts. The brake dust in another issue. The stock brakes are not very good in my opinion, and depending on your driving, the car dives alot, further stressing the front brakes. At 40K, I would at least look at the front brakes and our have someone competent look at them. They usually need replacing at about that interval. Second if you do alot of around town or city driving, you might want to take the car out of the long overdrive gear, and just ride around with the car in "OVERDRIVE OFF". This is third gear and will give the car better braking capacity albeit at a slight decrease in gas mileage. This will help with the dust as well as you will need less brake to stop. Thirdly, at 100K or sooner, change the struts to a premium brand, such as KYB or Tokico, if you can tolerate a little more rigidity in the ride quality while increase the cornering capacity, stopping capacity, and decreasing front end dive while will also translate into less brake dust.

Hope that helps a little.

"Feed the forum"

abfisch
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    How easy/hard is it to change the plugs, particularly the rear 3. Any easy instructions.
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    I looked at my 96 and I can see as well as reach where the plug wires attach to the rear plugs. Have to do the change by feel unless the intake manifold is removed.

Looking in the 1996 Toyota Avalon Repair Manual the instructions are very simple "remove spark plugs." Of course the pictures show the engine with the intake removed.

If you DIY keep in mind the torque is very low:
    18 N-m (13 ft-lb).
    Recommended plug: ND: PK20TR11
                      NGK: BKR6KPB11

Gap for new plus is 1.1 mm (0.043 in)

Use a 16 mm plug wrench
  • rzepa1rzepa1 Member Posts: 55
    I have 2001XL with 44K miles on it. Do I have
    cabin air filter and if so how often and how hard is to replace ? The dealership charges ~$90 which seem little high for a filter.
    rzepa1:

Relatively easy to do. Yes, you have one. They are a little different on the XLS vs the XL, at least the part numbers are different. If you never changed it before and the dealserhip never changed it, then you might not have one in there now, as my 02 came with the outer plastic frame but no cabin filter. Can you imagine that.

No biggie. Get the correct part, then when the plastic is warm, the bottom of the fasica underneath the glove box comes off, then the 5 or so screws holding the glove box on, after emptying it, and a couple I believe of clips.

Take you time. Get a copy of the page from the service manual to get a better picture.

Good luck.

abfisch
  • kuolkuol Member Posts: 7
    Hi,anyone has ever replace the bulbs(license plate light) and fuses (60A, type C, according to the owner manual) with the non-Toyota brand ones?
    Is it OK if I just find the correct spec? Thanks for reply! :)
  • john609john609 Member Posts: 10
    Replaced several bulbs (over 8 years) with non-Toyota bulbs - no problems. Just match the light bulb with the part number. Auto part store can give you the generic equivalent.

Never had to change a fuse.

FYI - when you are replacing the tag light bulb - be careful pulling out the clips holding the trunk liner in place. The clips break easy.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Anyone have any online service links for the Avalon. I had been pretty handy in the past with self auto maintenance, but with the demands on my time have been inclined to take my autos to the shop for the last 10 years or so. My wife's 2000 Avalon is in need of 60k service and the dealer is quoting about $400 for it. She is out of town and will not be needing it for a few weeks. It only includes plugs, oil change and filter, air filter, and cabin filter, and possibly the tranny fluid change. The air filter is a piece of cake. I don't think the cabin filter will be that difficult, but the plugs on the other hand could be a problem. I couldn't even see the plugs tonight when I looked. Of course it was dark out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Can anybody tell me the correct part number for the Toyota OEM oil filter for my 1996 Avalon? It should begin with "90915."

Thanks.
    The actual filter is/was 08922-02011. 90915 series are compact replacements and TRD parts. Those are: (TRD)00602-90915-004 & 90915-20003, 90915-YZZB5. This filter series goes in a lot of Toyo's.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Thanks, nomad56.
  • nsx603nsx603 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1997 Avalon XL with 112000 miles on it, and I am concerned about the work that needs to be done on it. The local mechanic said that he advises a timing belt and water pump change, but the owners manual says to only perform this if you drive under severe conditions, which I do not. This car is mostly used on the freeway for a round trip of 20 miles a day. Is it advised to perform these repairs? Also recently a check engine light has come on and the code states that the oxygen sensors are going bad. A pair of new ones costs 300+ dollars, what is up with the Toyota quality.
  • kuolkuol Member Posts: 7
    Anyone can share his(her) experiences to change Air filter and Cabin filter on 96 Avalon XL?

Please describe it clearly. I tried but it is not as easy as Honda Accord. The owner's manual doesn't have a page about it. I have searched this forum but just some general descriptions. Hope someone can help. Thanks!
    Cabin air filter? My 96 doesn't have one.

Engine air filter cover has four thumb clips. If the filter cover doesn't come up enough, after releasing the clips, to slide the filter out you will need to remove the small hose/wire guide from the side of the cover next to the engine (one 10 mm bolt/screw just above the rear inside thumb clip). Removing this bolt allows the cover to come up enough, without removing the air hose or anything else, to replace the filter.
  • berobberob Member Posts: 35
    I am unclear as to the recommended interval for changing the automatic transmission fluid in my 2000 Avalon. I checked the Scheduled Maintenance Guide that came with my car, and the only mention I see of it are under "Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions". It says to inspect the fluid at 15,000 miles and change it at 30,000 miles and it then repeats this cycle. Again, inspecting and changing the tranny fluid is only listed as maintenance whe the car is operated under the Special Operating Instructions. I see absolutely no mention of it under the regular maintenance schedule. Can someone please explain/clarify this? Thank you.
    Here's my opinion:

After 36k miles (or 3 years) of regular driving, the fluid is worn out. The high operating temperatures have reduced the fluid's ability to do the job. Change it. I overmaintain mine by having it flushed and refilled, not just refilled. (With no flush, about 70% of the fluid remains in the transmission.) Always done at a Toyota dealer as I am not a DIY person.

A Toyota transmission should last 200k miles if properly maintained. Several who post here have had them last longer. When you consider the cost of a transmission failure, the flush-n-fill is fairly cheap.

Synthetic fluid is different but I don't use it so I don't know anything about it. Most who use it seem to like it. You might ask around..or someone here may post a comment on synthetics again. We had a long discussion last year on this in one of these topics.

Hope this helps..Avalons are great cars. Enjoy.
    berob:

Here you go. No mention is made in the service manual for normal operations. In my wife's Honda Civic 03 service manual (not owner's manual now), it goes like this. The first transmission change, is at 60K, then 30K thereafter.

Secondly, no mention in here or the Toyota manual in regards to flush. Just empty and replace. I do mine every 50K, since I coincide it with an oil change. I know this is a little long, but I only plan to keep the car 250K. My last car, a Honda Civic, manual tranny, I replaced every 30K, NO FLUSH, and it was running strong at 236K when I sold it to another soldier.

Thirdly, I put in Synthetic Dexron III, yes, they make. It is more important, that you put in the correct type of fluid in regards to viscositiy and thermal breakdown, then if it is synthetic or organic. Nevertheless, I put in synthetic. I really don't notice a difference but I know it is there, cause I did it myself.

Four, the power steering, something that goes broke in OLD Avalons, takes the same fluid, Dexron III, as does the tranny, at least in my 02. Double check for your year. Look in the Shop/Service Manual, it is there. That would be an excellent thing to do at the same time, since the racks have gone out on these cars after 125K. This is also expensive. Think about this. It takes an extra 10 minutes cause you have the fluid there already and is very easy to do.

Five, the most important thing besides just changing the fluid, is to get in a habit of letting your foot off the accelorator slightly when the car is about to upshift. Try it. You will see that it takes the pressure of the unit, and over time, if you get into the habit of driving like this, when it upshifts, will save demonstrable wear and tear on the unit. Probably getting it to at least 250K.

How many of you have had a car and tranny, especially an automatic go over 250K without an overhaul??????????

abfisch
  • raleighwolfraleighwolf Member Posts: 40
    my 2002 Avalon XLS is coming up on 100K miles.

what should I think of in terms of preventative maintance.

The only problem that i have notices is that last year the A/C started acting strange...then fixes itself then acts Strange again....the little light would blink too. I did not have anything done with it as it was towards the end of the season and I have not had any problems with the heat. I am hoping this is a belt slippage???? I have heard the belts slip a little.

Anyway...any suggestions? I think I would like to get 150K out of this car.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    Hi, I have a 2000 Toyota Avalon with 73,000 miles, which I'll probably be trading in this upcoming fall, but I haven't replaced the spark plugs or battery yet. The car is five years old, and I know Toyota recommended the spark plugs be replaced at 60,000.

Is it wise of me to put money into the car before I get rid of it in 6 months, or are changing the spark plugs pretty vital, even though I've gone 13,000 miles over the "Toyota Limit?"

I've had all the other maintenance done (transmission fluid, filters, brakes checked etc.), so this is the only thing that I'm a little concerned to wait around about.

Also, about how long do the batteries last? Again, I'll be trading the car in soon, but it is the winter and am skeptical how much longer it can really last.

One other thing I found peculiar is my son's Honda Civic and my wife's Acura MDX both are Hondas and both recommend changing the brake fluid every 3 years, yet I could find no mention of that in my maintenance guide from Toyota, so I've never done it. Does the Avalon require the brake fluid to be changed?

Thanks in advance!
    Here's one opinion:

The spark plugs are worn out. They work, yes. But at $2.00 a gallon for gas why not change them and begin to recover the cost of the new plugs immediately from better gas mileage.

Original equipment batteries go from 2 years to 8 years, maybe. If it starts the car quickly, the lights don't flicker with the heater on and the case is not wet (leaking), it will last a while longer so leave it alone. Ultimate life is unknown.

Brake fluid absorbs water, and water, like air, in a fluid brake system will not work. Changing the brake fluid will help make the car safer as the brakes will work better and internal brake parts will be less likely to rust, clog or fail. Absolutely necessary now..? Probably not. But, what is your tolerance for risk? How much safety do you need? Think about it.

Hope this helps....
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    Thanks for the input, but for the general driver, how am I supposed to change the brake fluid if Toyota doesn't say to do so even in their owners manual.

If it wasn't for my Honda and Acura owners manual saying to do so, it never would have crossed my mind. I'm no mechanic so I just do what's written down in whatever brand car maintenance guide I have.

But in any event, I'll get all 3 checked out.
    I agree..and there is nothing in the owner's manual of my 2003 XL about brake fluid changes. Both my wife and daughter drive V6 Hondas. It is in their manuals. Both are over 3 years old and have the original fluid. They stop fine. But no brake fluid lasts forever. Good luck....
    Save your money. If you are really going to get rid of the car (trade in) this fall there is no dollar value in doing any more than necessary to keep the car running okay.

Platinum plugs usually last well in excess of 100,000 miles. As long as the car is running well, why not leave them alone? Except for Toyota, don't most manufactures call for plug changes at around 100K?

My Avalon has 71K on the OE plugs. Mpg, how the engine runs, and acceleration are virtually the same as when new.

Have a Honda product too (MDX) and agree that it is a good idea to flush brake fluid from time to time, however have never done it on cars under 10 years old and have never had a problem. Yes, the X will get a flush to keep the warranty people happy.
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    i'm considering replacing the power steering fluid on my 98'avalon/81k mileage...dealer wants around $100, how hard is it to do it yourself? would replacing just most of the reservoir fluid only, help? is there anyone out there that has NOT done these fluid changes on their higher mileage avalons and had not experienced problems in these areas?..thanks
    General rule of thumb is changing fluids increases time between repairs. However, before the recent change everything push by dealers, did many (I was going to say any) change power steering or brake fluids? At a little over 17 years of continuous use my 1984 Toyota Van still had the OE brake fluid except for a top off once and the PS fluid was OE too. Rear end fluid was OE. Radiator fluid was changed when the water pump started leaking during year 12. Transmission fluid was changed at 60K miles and again at 110K.

I did replace the brake master cylinder when the van was 18 years old, but I doubt changing brake fluid would have prevented the reason for the replacement.

Changing only part of the fluid will help, but is not as good as flushing and having 100% new fluid.

I'm planning on changing all of the fluids in my 96 (72K miles) this summer.

NOTE: Finally put new tires on he car this week. Have had OE type Dunlop SP4000 tires on the car since new. Had needed to buy only two tires in 72K miles because three were replaced under warranty along the way.

Installed CR's top rated Falken 512 tires. I do not recommend them in the 205-65x15 size that is standard on my 96 Avalon. They sing a bit and are in general noisier than the Dunlops. They don't 'turn in' as well as the Dunlops nor do they ride as well at low speeds. Freeway ride is good however. Cornering grip is okay, like the Dunlops, but the slow steering response was not expected. They seem good in the rain.

The primary driver of the car, a teen, listens to music so the added noise is not a problem and the harsher low speed ride is actually perceived as better road feel (ah, youth).
  • tnbtigertnbtiger Member Posts: 1
    thank you so much ... this forum regarding replacing the air filter on my 1996 avalon was very helpful. i still owned the vehicle since day 1, and its being very good to me, currently i have 166,000 miles on it. ohh the one thing i want to mention is if you have to replace your valve cover gasket, the dealer will charge you an arm and leg for it. my local dealer quoted me a price of close to $500 and the parts were only like $10 or something. i checked on the web and the part was minimal. i checked around the local mechanics and they replaced the valve cover gasket for me at a total cost of $200.