Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Audio Questions

Comments

• jwhagenjwhagen Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, Bob. The installation is complete. The antenna is mounted inside of the third brake light and works great. I did have a couple of times where the reception fell off for 5 seconds on a 600 mile trip. You can't see the antenna and to me, it's worth the few times of drop-out.

John
  • thegadgetguruthegadgetguru Member Posts: 27
    The satellite system is retrofitted and delivers constant dropouts. Thats's almost as frustrating as the defective (with no fix) GPS System. $3,000 down the drain and they treat us cuctomers like we're the idiots! Read my full review at www.gadgetguru.com It is very detailed on these two points as well as what Toyota does to break your soul and ruin the customer experience.
  • jimtranjimtran Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,
    recently, i became a proud owner of a 1998 toyota avalon xls. there is one problem that bothers me all the time and that is the cd player. the cd player is a factory type-3. sometime early in the morning i insert a cd and (if i'm lucky) it plays for about 1 minute and 30 seconds or so and then give a an error "err1" or something similar. after i ejected the cd and insert another one it went in for a few seconds and spits it back out. the am/fm radio and cass works fine, but the cd player drives me crazy. thanks in advance.
    ps: sorry i posted on the wrong place
  • oilcan2oilcan2 Member Posts: 120
    why not replace it,check on ebay,I just checked and there
    is one for $150 with a year warr.
  • fjacksfjacks Member Posts: 2
    I added the XM to my 2006 AV LTD. The antenna is sitting inside the back window and is barely noticeable. I get great reception and wouldn't be without my XM. The controls, however, leave something to be desired. For $400 it should have display capability greater than the $99 XM you can buy anywhere. I can't figure out why the information center(the blue screen) wasn't programmed to display more info.
  • shawn4818shawn4818 Member Posts: 6
    Last week, we started to hear buzzing noise from the sub woofer behind the back seat. The noise is not always on. It only happens when the sub woofer sounds (or pounds). Is this a problem with the sub woofer or something comes loose inside or near the sub woofer? Thanks for any suggestions or advises :confuse: .
  • whilstwhilst Member Posts: 19
    Hi. Yes,the subwoofer is "blown". Dealer only= $275 abouts.!
    I just "re-glued"my daughters' w/3M Weatherstrip adhesive.
    $5.00. We'll see how long it lasts.
    What happens is the foam surround of speaker cone cracks,detaches from base.
    I tried a JBL 8" subwoofer GTO series,but there's not enough power going to that speaker and output was very weak.
    Cheers,Jeff.
  • shawn4818shawn4818 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Jeff,
    Thanks very much for the info. I guess I will need to spend some money and time to fix this. What may be the reason for this to happen? My college daughter came home for the summer and has been driving this car, and she likes to turn up the volume a lot when playing those music with heavy bass - Could this be the reason? How to avoid this from happening again? By the way, I have not done this kind of replacement before. Should I try or should I get some more skilled person to do this? Thanks again!
    Shaw
    Not difficult really.
    Taking the time to do properly=1.5 hrs.
    The speaker cone seperates due to usage and heat from sun drying the glue out.
    Mine seems to be working after repair.How long?
    It's daughters' car as well.
    They seem to last 5 yrs.
    No way to avoid.
    Cheers,Jeff.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    Has anyone used the USA-Spec Ipod interface on an '05 or '06 JBL equipped Av without Navigation? I really want to pull the trigger on it, and would like some feedback. I know it doesn't display the artist and title but that isn't a big deal for me. Thanks.

<a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-djZwBHbO7pk/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=USA+Spec&i=581PA11TOY"

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• binderzoobinderzoo Member Posts: 5
    We just bought a 06 Avalon Limited with 6 disk CD changer. When we listen to the AM/FM, the bass is good and strong but when listening to CD, (either burned or store bought) the bass is almost nonexistent. I went to the dealer and put my store bought CD into another Avalon and it sounded the same. Any ideas.
  • dclkdclk Member Posts: 8
    max,
    thanx for sharing the pics. one reason i don't have an avalon yet is because of that nasty black xm box on the trunk. is that the best they can do?! please tell me they've come up with something better for '07! anyway, your mod gives me hope that a workable and visibly appealing soln exists.

DClK
  • niteoneniteone Member Posts: 41
    "max,
    thanx for sharing the pics. one reason i don't have an avalon yet is because of that nasty black xm box on the trunk. is that the best they can do?! please tell me they've come up with something better for '07! anyway, your mod gives me hope that a workable and visibly appealing soln exists. "

yes, it's now on the rear deck next to the 3rd brake light.
  • hsakuragihsakuragi Member Posts: 12
    http://toyotanation.com/forum/t151508.html

let me know if you want one
  • cms1528cms1528 Member Posts: 45
    The SIRIUS antenna is mounted to the windshield behind the rear view mirror. You can put that XM antenna just about anywhere yu want to inside the vehicle as well.
  • tstrick320tstrick320 Member Posts: 64
    For those who have 2005-2006 Avalons w/Nav and are looking for an iPod integration solution, Vais Technology has a promising device and they just need some help testing.

The SLI iPod adapter promises full integration with the Avalon head-end: audio, steering controls, song titles, etc. Their device works with non-Nav systems now but they need an opportunity to test the system in an Avalon w/Nav.

Vais Tech is located in Denver and their website is www.vaistech.com. Someone willing to give up an afternoon for testing might talk them into a "deal" on the device (they didn't say this, I'm just guessing.) :-)

I would go but 2200 miles is a bit far for me...

Tom

P.S. Pat, I know this belongs in one of your other new forums but I think lots of folks are still watching this one. Copy this if you wish, but please leave one copy here. Thanks.
  • steve326asteve326a Member Posts: 58
    Sounds like the optical pickup [non-permissible content removed]'y inside the CD player is either dirty or weak.
  • tstrick320tstrick320 Member Posts: 64
    UPDATE: Vais Technology is offering a FREE iPod adapter (about $300) to anyone with an Avalon w/Nav who will let them do some testing.
  • raphilraphil Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Avalon and I have been experencing the exact same issues. My problems started over a year ago. First the radio looses power/presets. Then sometimes the compass and AC will not work either. All are intemittent problems. The dealer said it was the altenator or battery. Both were replaced and the problem went away for 6 months and now they have re-surfaced. Both the battery and altenator have been checked, and are in perfect working order. I'm looking for some clues on maybe what might be causing this. I'm going to test the fuse block for loose connections this weekend.
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    Guys i got 05 avalon limited fully loaded but too bad it didnt came with navi system :(
    anyway whats the easiest way to buy/install ipod ( BRAND/COMPANY ) ?
    I live in Bahrain whichs overseas and i would like to order the whole package to work on my car but with everything the sound should be clear and clean as cd player !

any feedback would be greatful :)

ALi
  • hsakuragihsakuragi Member Posts: 12
    email me, I can find you one from toyota that only works without navi for $200+ shipping since you live so far away. Or PM me on toyotanation.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Can you post here so that other community members may be able to benefit?
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I am so miserable. A valet parking attendant screwed-up my CD changer. As soon as he brought the car over I could see that my settings were changed and the CD made a whirring and annoying sound. In short, the CD/s are stuck.

The car is a 2000 XLS with the JBL in-dash CD changer and it was filled with six CDs. I called the dealer he said a replacement is $900 or repair (outsourced) $295. But I would have to wait approximately two months for the repairs and in the meantime I would have a huge hole in my dash.

He suggested Circuit City or Best Buy but they were more interested in selling me a new stereo system than doing the repairs. At Tweeter, Etc. the technician laughed in my face saying that my music system was ancient technology and they no longer sell in-dash CD changers as they are prone to hiccups and breakdowns. What he suggested instead is an iPod/MP3 setup that would provide trouble-free music. He even promised to convert all my CDs to the iPod for free. Nice idea until he revealed a $2,800 price.

So my questions to boardies: have you ever had a stuck CD? and how did you remove it? Other than buying a replacement what other suggestions would you recommend?
    There is a place in CT that specializes in car audio and if you can arrange to take it out and ship it to them, for a flat fee they will repair it and ship it back to you.I think it's around 150 or so. You pay shipping to them, they pay shipping back to you. The place is called Jo-Di's. If interested, let me know and I will get you their address and phone#. I used to use them a lot before I retired from my job as a TV tech.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    Tried cleaning my CD today--spit out disc #6 OK---then when I tried to insert cleaning disc it wouldn't accept. Tried several times--no luck. Tried shutting down the system--no luck. The display showed searching for a disc and when I pressed the eject button, the system changed to FM 1. So tomorrow our 06 Limited goes to the dealer and I know we'll have a "hole" in the dash as the unit has to be removed and shipped somewhere for repair. Anybody else experience this situation? thanks!
    Bob
    Both my '00 Solara and '03 Avalon's CD players went and both times the dealer simply confirmed they were broken and replaced them under warranty. How did your situation work out? Curious to see if my '06 XLS will last the length of my lease (3 years).

• clemdiaclemdia Member Posts: 10
    I just replaced the JBL head unit in my 2000 Avalon with a new unit from Crutchfield -- still using the JBL amp --

Now there is an annoying hum from the speakers on ALL sources. I've tried grounding the head unit to 20 different places -- but it seems like source of the hum is the JBL amp --

It's a constant hum (does not vary with engine) that gets slightly louder when headlights are turned on --

Anyone already been down this road? Suggestions? I'd rather not bypass/replace the amp if I don't have to, but I'm losing the battle...
  • teethteeth Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2000 avalon and my woofer is shot also; I took the cover off (the one with the brake light) after you loosen the 4 screws does it all come out; or is it more involved than that? thanks john e, 80525
    Hi. They wear out around 5yr. mark-sun,heat,etc. Foam surround crumbles.Go in trunk on your back and you'll see "plastic push pins" sticking through metal rear deck. These hold upper shelf to deck. Otherwise you'll break the fiberboard if your not careful.Then remove wires and subwoofer w/bracket.
  • bushman26bushman26 Member Posts: 2
    The JBL sub woofer located under the rear shelf needs to be replaced. Toyota wants $260 for the speaker. I spoke to an individual at Crutchfield confirmed that I'm being raped. He checked his offerings and much more powerful subwoofers but none that would conform to the JBL in my Avalon. Has anyone else had this problem and how was it solved?
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Update:
    My laissez-faire attitude paid off after all. For two months I pondered whether spending all that money to replace the CD changer made sense. But yesterday the changer spit out the stuck CD's just like that.

For some reason the fix turned out to be quite simple. The service manager simply pressed the load and eject button simultaneously, and Voila, two CDs came out stuck together. And the best part, it did not cost me a dime. Now I am all smiles listening to my favorite music.
  • avalondougavalondoug Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone installed the system on their Avalon? I've got a 2005 XLS with the JBL Sat.ready radio and I'm looking at installing Sirius system.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Can anybody point me to a wiring diagram for the standard (not JBL) headunit in the 2005-07 Avalon? I'd like to add a subwoofer and am wondering if preamp-level outs and a remote power lead are available on the standard head unit -- or if not, what are the pinouts for the speakers so I can use speaker-level signals.

Thanks.
    No doubt the OEM sub is junk, but given that this one sells for only $10-15 (etronics etc.) it can't be much better. But it can't hurt to try it out -- if it doesn't fit or sounds bad you're not out much money.
  • johns0968johns0968 Member Posts: 4
    Alright thanks man i guess i am going to go for it. I'm nervous about the installation tho. I am not to familiar with audio systems. Like i know how they work but not much on installation or maintenance. But i was able to figure out how to pop the cover off and measure the sub, i was proud. ha. but thanks again.
    My impression of the stereo in my new Avalon XL is that it is pretty decent, just lacking in really low bass. There is too much boomy mid-bass, but it can be tamed with the bass control.

I would appreciate hearing anyone's experiences with adding a subwoofer to the 2005+ Avalon. I'm leaning towards an Infinity Basslink in the trunk as the simplest route, but will consider other options. I don't need window-rattling bass, I just want to clearly hear the lowest notes in my music. Any insights welcome, e.g.

--How difficult is it to remove the head unit and tap into the speaker wires? (I'm assuming the standard head unit doesn't have line outs --??)

--Is there an existing hole in the firewall that can be used to pass a power lead from the battery, or does a new hole have to be drilled?

--What's the best way to run wiring from the head unit to the trunk?

--Did you have to put a hole/grille in the rear shelf to get enough bass in the cabin?

Thanks in advance for any information!
  • johnijohni Member Posts: 43
    Does anyone know of an mp3 player (non-ipod) adapter, hard wire not through FM, that works on 2005 Avalon w/ nav? I don't need integration with the factory unit. I just want to play mp3 music through the sound system. Thanks.
    This is the only one I've seen that claims to work in vehicles with nav.....kind of pricey though.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundlexaux.html
    Okay...i decided not to order that sub, just because it is so cheap. Does anyone know if ANY 8 will fit in my 98 avalon. Where the factory one was. Can i just go buy an 8 and switch them? because the one i have is blown.
    If you do decide to find an aftermarket replacement, make sure it is not only the same or better wattage rating, but also the same exact impedence load (ohms)as well.

Steve
    ** 97 XLS w/ All The Toys! **
    ** My Baby! **
    ** Enjoy & Long Live Your Avalon! **
  • jediclampettjediclampett Member Posts: 4
    Regarding the sound in Avalons being pretty decent, check out my post in the Avalon/Sirius Forum - I don't want to repeat myself here but my experience with my XLS was like an awakening; it's been the very first time I've been excited about the sound in my '03 XLS. --How difficult is it to remove the head unit and tap into the speaker wires? OK, this place is only giving you free information because they're trolling for your OEM head-unit repair business. Take the free info and then RUN from that repair concept: http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalToyAvalon1.htm CAUTION - when you first pull that top A/C vent the clips are a little stiff; there are 3 of them NOT 2! One is top-dead-center and the other two are on the bottom at each side. (I'm assuming the standard head unit doesn't have line outs --??) Mine's JBL so my experience is limited to that unit; I don't know if you have a downstream amplifier. If there's an adapter for your system Metra, Soundgate, Scosche, P.I.E. ONE of these manufacturers makes it. You can use their site/s as an easy place to find out if the solution exists. Email their support if you need to, that's why they exist. I had good luck with the Metra harness which in my situation included 4 RCA/IN jacks so I could feed line-level from my aftermarket head unit. www.metraonline.com The best deal I could find on the Metra parts I used came from my LOCAL INDEPENDANT RETAILER! NO OEM HARNESS HACKING! You WILL be able to find a plug/adapter to get you tapped into the factory wiring. The factory wiring is OK for small upgrades; if you were going "bigtime" you'd eventually be running bigger/better speaker-wire anyway. --Is there an existing hole in the firewall that can be used to pass a power lead from the battery, or does a new hole have to be drilled? Nein! Drillen Ist Verboten! You can get your power from the factory radio harness if you're using an adapter harness - be aware that in addition to aftermarket head-unit harnesses, there are also adapter harnesses to accommodate adding amplifiers to the OEM head unit. You'll have to map out your plan and select accordingly. If you end up only tapping into audio wires and still need a 12VDC feed, steal it from the lighter. (I don't smoke so that'd be no inconvenience for me.) That lighter operates by resistance and I'm sure the power-wire/fuse has adequate juice. If you're motivated I'm sure you can find an accessory fuse position on the OEM fuseblock. NO DRILLING! You can easily run an extra wire through one of the factory grommets or even fish one through a loom if you're lucky/skilled. Try running a long piece of string-trimmer-line through whichever loom looks promising. File/sand the line blunt first, work from the engine compartment inward if you can, a sparing amount of dish soap might coax things along. If it's a NoGo, just push it through alongside the loom. Once you can see it on the other side of the firewall tape your new wire to it and make the pull back into the engine bay. --What's the best way to run wiring from the head unit to the trunk? WELL! I dropped one of my radio-bracket bolts down and it ricocheted backwards down under my console shifter - I was in there with an extendable magnet and a small mirror in order to retrieve it. It goes WAYY back! Remember there's no driveline under the hump so I'm guessing there's a tunnel all the way back. Otherwise why a hump in the rear footwell? At the very least you can get a wire from the firewall to the back of the front seat. From there you could pull the back seat out and fish your string-trimmer-line forward under the carpet. I'm still counting on the tunnel but I may need to fall back on fishing too. --Did you have to put a hole/grille in the rear shelf to get enough bass in the cabin? OK, when you remove that OEM "subwoofer" (which you SHOULD) you'll have a hole to pass wind into the passenger compartment. That OEM speaker was and never will be a sub, and the only decent free-air woofers I've ever heard were 15" diameter. Needless to say the average Avalon driver (including me) doesn't need or want a subwoofer that size. It was just a lame way for Toyota to throw a sub in an Avalon, as nearly an afterthought. Does anyone believe someone tuned that enormous trunkspace to suit the acoustic needs of that puny speaker? A friend of my builds boxes and he said it didn't much matter which way it pointed due to the configuration he wanted to use. You know: sealed; ported; transmission line, etcetera. Besides, true lower bass frequencies are nearly non-directional. I don't know which he plans on but I do know the box is a compact rectangle because I saw one he built for a Camry. He put a single 8" JL sub in it and built the box around the specs for that particular woofer. It's a real sub, albeit a puny one by today's standards. It's tight and fast, never flabby. Right now I'm using one 6" Bazooka Tube http://www.sasbazooka.com which is corner-loaded on the left side of my trunk, almost touching the back of the rear passenger seat. It sounds "good" but I'm looking for "much better". If I go for the box solution he assures me plenty of air will pass through the factory speaker hole. My Tubes are old and if I was going to buy them again I'd go for two 8's or a single 10". You can even get them with onboard amps (active sub vs. passive) which might save you some hassle. By the time you did enough bastardy to get ANY speaker to "thump" in that stock position, your rear deck would be vibrating, buzzing and undulating like someone playing a tree-saw. Not to mention the license plate frame, the plate itself, and anything else not nailed down. Gas tanks are notorious for rattling. OK, I'll quit reddening your eyes, good luck! (Here's a picture of the harness I used, just to give you an idea: http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=1334&cat=324)
    okay so can the wattage be higher? but the ohms has to be the same. how do i know the ohms in the sub thats in there now. and how is installation on these things?
  • jambandphanjambandphan Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased 5-1/4 inch speakers for my avalon, but they do not fit the factory mounts. in fact, the inside of the doors looks like a minefield of problems. Has anyone ever installed new speakers using the factory speaker housings, or is a kit necessary? Also, it appears that the factory speakers were slightly smaller than the 5-1/4 speakers i bought. Is it possible that best buy and circuit city were wrong when they told me that 5-1/4s fit the 97 avalon? Toyotas are great cars, but after today im going to dread taking them apart to install audio components. Can anyone help me?

Thank you.
    The wattage can be higher but never lower. The ohms must me the same. On most speakers, the ohms is usually shown on the speaker magnet itself. it may be 4, 8, 16, or 32 ohms. If someone on the forum here has the same speaker, they might be able to post it if it's the same one.

Steve
    ** 97 XLS w/ All The Toys! **
    ** My Baby! **
    ** Enjoy & Long Live Your Avalon! **
    Hey smith1... RE: "I would appreciate hearing anyone's experiences with adding a subwoofer to the 2005+ Avalon." Apologies; I used the Evelyn Wood "sped-read" method, skimmed your post, and did not see your year '05+ year-model stipulation. (RTFM) Still, most of my original reply to you, I stand behind. EXAMPLE: Today my dealer put a NEW JBL head-unit in my '03 XLS, even though they HAD sent my original piece to wherever they sent it for repair. (Zero dollars to me as per my 84 month extended warranty! Wheeee!) I have to say that my original JBL unit must have been a lemon from the git-go, even before the in-dash CD changer went dormant. The reason I say that is because there is no doubt the new JBL radio sounds better than the original did on day one when the car was new. The service department was surprised to see I had already wedged a replacement in and interested enough to ask that I leave the Clarion unit in until the mechanic took it into a bay. (I had taken a crash-kit with only the tools I needed in case they wanted me to pull it.) In the shop they listened to the first part of several tracks from an Alison Krauss AKUS LIVE CD which has pretty diverse range. Then the mechanic pulled my aftermarket unit and buttoned up my dash/console with the new JBL unit. That took mere minutes and we played the same tracks in the JBL's CD player. Everyone agreed the Clarion sounded better, but not so much better that the JBL had to come back out. The difference was in the separation and soundstage (yes, I said it, "soundstage"). I don't want to call the JBL "muddy", but I guess I have to. Certain instruments and vocal passages grouped together? Clustered? They just seemed to pick a set of speakers and come out of that "zone". Most of this happened in the speakers in the rear seating area. (Door speakers.) They're so small they ought to be called "weakers". However, the Clarion was able to drive them better and the finger-picking and vocals had an arrangement and positioning to them as opposed to the spatial uncertainty the JBL produced. It might be because the Clarion is one of what was known as their "Pro-Audio" line when it was new; that series put out a minimum of 4-volts at the RCA's. Now I see that some Clarion models don't mention specific output-voltage - those are all the lower-end models. The specs on the midrange to big-dough units all say 4 volts. Maybe the H/U is just handing the OEM amp a better signal? You know what they say; garbage in = garbage out. The JBL is good for MUZAK and when you're driving and concentrating on what you should be, it's good enough for background ambience. When you're sitting still listening to the JBL with the engine on OR off, that's when the Clarion unit pops into your mind. Another big safety plus of the Clarion is the included remote - I need to relearn all the button functions because it's been in mothballs for years, but I can reduce volume, pause CD's etc. without leaning forward or looking down. (Steering wheel controls were not available on the '03.) We were on a twisty mountain road with no other cars headed down to the dealer and the Clarion sounded great. We took the same road going home with the JBL installed and it didn't sound much different than it did when we were flanked by semis on the 10, 605, and 210 freeways of Los Angeles. What am I saying? I don't know! I suppose I just have to say the aging aftermarket unit kicked the JBL in the faceplate; enough so 3 persons and myself agreed on the result, but we also agreed the JBL was "adequate". It's going to bug me having said that, but I'm leaving the JBL in until I decide on a Double-DIN NAV-capable unit, AND that unit is on sale at a deep discount. The JBL does blend with the interior better than the Clarion, but as I said you can have any suitable substrate professionally coated with the exact same burlwood finish as OEM parts. Also... you ought to be able to find removal instructions for the 05+ Avalon head-unit online. Try Metra's PDF library. Later
    Crutchfield's guide sez you can slam 5.75" speakers in my '03 Avalon's front doors. Yours? You can go look on Crutchfield's website. They also give you depth limitation specs. If the 5.25's are a go, Crutchfield will have adapter plates for sale (if they are needed). With those plates I'm sure you can persuade them to cut loose with a installation instruction sheet. Normally their fitment guide is pretty accurate, or else they'd experience mega-merchandise-returns for their errant information. BTW, my '03 Avalon is a far cry from my '68 Corona, but all through my Toyota ownership history I've found them easy to work on. A '75 SR5 pickup, '77 Corona wagon, '96 Celica, '97 4Runner Limited, '05 Tundra and of course the Avalon. OK, some things under the hood of the newer Toyo's look like Icelandic 'glyphics, but that's what I said about my '85 pickup and I ended up doing some of my own engine work on that. As for audio installation I've always done it. I've been "in-the-dash" of all my Toyotas; I had 3 two-channel amps, one 4 channel amp and a large passive crossover in my '86 SR5 Xtra-Cab. Three Soundstreams under the driver's seat and a 4-channel Alpine under the passenger's seat. The front had a component 3-way setup, there was one 6.5" directly under the Xtra-Cab window/s on each side and a Bazooka Tube on the floor behind each seat. The X-over lived under the driver's side package shelf. I lifted the console up and ran all my signal cabling on one side of the hump, all my power down the other side of the hump. What I'm saying is "You CAN do this". Go to your dealer and have them show you a microfiche of the door panel assembly - they might even have it "online" on their own intranet. Either way Parts can print you a copy. I almost guarantee the dealer won't spite you for doing it yourself - they normally want nothing to do with aftermarket installs. Hey! If you want the result and you don't want to pay some installer, you've got to step out on the ledge a bit. Later P.S. (No, I don't only buy Toyotas, but my other cars have been Nash, Divco's, Hudson's, Studebaker, '40 Chevrolet stakebed, '69 Nissan Patrol, Grumman Kurbmaster, '37 Indian-4, Ramblers, '55 Roadmaster, '57 Roadmaster, '57 Mercury, '63 Mercury, Five VW's, '70 Electra w/ Wildcat engine. I've had 50+ cars since high school. In other words Toyotas have been my "Old Faithfuls" since I bought my '68 Corona used. That thing sold me on the reliability. All but one of those Toyo's I purchased new. When you like weird vehicles you need solid transportation to fall back on when you can't find some elusive Hudson part or whatever.)
  • b1gatorb1gator Member Posts: 12
    You may have already gotten some responses under the XM/Sirius radio thread but here goes. I have an 05 Lmtd and I just had the Sirius system installed in the trunk that I bought from a Toyota Dealer through Ebay. I didn't use the antenna that came with the unit (the one that mounts by the rearview mirror) I replaced with a trunk mount from the installer. Cost of the unit was just under $300 and the Install was $100. Unit works great--same issue as others have mentioned with the limit of only 10 characters per line on the display for song and artist info
  • jamesj1jamesj1 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know which brand of IPOD interface will work with the 2005 Avalon XLS that has the 6 disc CD changer in the dash and no AUX button?
    Peripheral Electronics makes an interface that works great. I bought it at Best Buy for $149.99 (I think its cheaper now). Was going to install it myself, but for $60.00 extra I just let them do it. I had them run the connection into the center console (the large one, not the small one for your cell phone). When I park the car I just place the I-pod back into console and nothing shows. It works by pushing the "disc" button on the radio, it charges the Ipod and you can skip tracks with the radio or steering wheel controls. You can also control the I-pod direct. My car is an '06 XLS w/JBL 6CD, W/O Nav. Hope this helps!