Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Audio Questions

pilotownerpilotowner Member Posts: 51
I have a 2000 Avalon XL and have a tremendous amount of static on AM and FM when the rear defogger is on. Has anyone else had this condition and what did you do about it?

Comments

• bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    pilotowner:

Avalon's radio atenna is embedded in the rear window with rear window defrost. Our 97 XL only shows static in AM with rear defrost on. No Static in FM. I think that's a flaw in Toyota's design.

bjk
  • bsteffbsteff Member Posts: 3
    I am now getting audio via mp3 files rather than by cassette tape. Does anyone know a way to play mp3 files on CD in the Avalon? After market stereo? I hate to break up such a nice sound system as the JBL. My car is a 2000 model year XLS with the JBL system.
    At present, I convert the mp3file to a CD audio file and put it on a CD-R and close out the session. A series of one hour lectures sure uses up CD's quickly! I could put a ton of mp3 files on one CD if I could find a way to play the files directly in the car.
  • nomad56nomad56 Member Posts: 134
    bsteff-the Alpine changer can be connected to the factory head unit with the correct interface cable. (There may be other add-on changers that do this now, as well??? ..only Alpine, when I did it.) It plays MP3 CD's. You will only get basic readout info ie)Disc#/Track# but, it will work. This assumes you do not want a portable sittting on the seat next to ya' with a cassette or FM adapter??? Hope this helps. -nomad-
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Toyota is offering XM radio as a new dealer add-on for the Avalon. I'd be interested in anyone who has experience with or knowledge of that, in other Toyota models, or Lexus. E.g., how visible is the antenna? Thanks in advance.
  • elemgigielemgigi Member Posts: 1
    Radio volume goes Up & Down without me even touching anything. I have a 2003 Avalon XLS. If I take it to the dealer, I won't be able to show him as it does not happen that often, and I'm not sure what is causing this.
  • mcescher1mcescher1 Member Posts: 37
    I would like to upgrade the sound system in a 2003 XLS. I am disinclined to change the head unit since the CD changer works well and the tuner brings in stations well. Has anyone tried to replace the amps and/or speakers and/or speaker wire? The basic question is whether this will change the sound significantly for the better or whether the basic limitation is the head unit; also whether there are any traps in trying to do this. I am used to listening to classical music on tube equipment with Quad speakers, just to give you an idea of where I am coming from. Thanks.
    The factory head unit is fine. If it isn't the JBL, that may be an upgrade to consider, in addition to a better amp and speakers-though, I would make this change last. I also preferred the LOOK of the OEM head unit. You'll want to by-pass the factory amp, NOT replace it. It contains control wires to your head unit(Gnd,Pwr,Ant,Etc). "TAP" into the FRONT left/right audio leads at the head unit. This is a low-voltage (pre-amp) signal. Send this signal to your amp. ...and, YES, rewire the speakers. Leave the factory amp to power the rears.

IMO-You have some serious HOME equipment, so if you are shooting for the stars in your car, you'll want to consider Morel/Focal/CDT etc. FYI:I am using CDT with an ARC amp. CDT braxials are a great choice for this car. -nomad56-
  • mcescher1mcescher1 Member Posts: 37
    Many thanks. Head unit is the highest level one the factory offered, I believe the JBL. In my other car, I had a Nakamichi 1200 radio/tape unit until it went out after 15 years, then replaced it with the current Nakamichi tuner/CD unit and an Alpine tuner/tape unit, the tuner section of which sounds just as good as the Nakamichi (so much for current Nakamichi products), together with Nakamichi amps and speakers from Sequerra which he uses in his home units. At the moment, I have the tweeters of the Avalon in effect disconnected because they distort so terribly, and I have the subwoofers on low for the same reason.
  • qualitynutqualitynut Member Posts: 36
    Glad(?) to see someone else mention this; thought it was my imagination! I too have noticed that the volume changes. Either that or it switches from monorail to stereo thereby making it seem that it is changing.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    I stopped at a Lexus dealer today beacause the Visualogic A-1000 & A-2000 model of DVD systems show an 05 Lexus RX330 with Ivory and a couple more Lexus models and 2 or 3 Toyota models as having the same Visualogic part number.

The service manager at Lexus had 1 of his guys pull the headrest out of an 05 RX330 and it plugged right into my 05 Avvy, the color even matched up perfectly.

I called my audio store had them order me one. Should be here in a couple days and then the kid will again have a DVD player to keep her amused. 3 yr olds get bored pretty quick :)
  • wizwiz Member Posts: 5
    Amplifier died, anybody know where I can get a replacement at a reasonable price. Dealership quoted $400 dollars for a new one.
    There are a lot of "Toyota" amps on eBay. Be careful though. Unfortunately, the Avalon amp interface is NOT universal, like most other models. If you can't match it there, get the part number, and call a few junk yards. Your best bet is a "you pull-the-part" place. Theses guys will pull the radios without knowing they have to pull the amp separately. -nomad56-
  • wizwiz Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info, but I decided to use my education and fix the amp myself. After a couple of hours work, I discovered two power transistors and a diode were not responding correctly, so I desoldered the components, cross referenced them to the NTE database and ordered replacement parts. Crossing my fingers I installed the new components this evening and have sweet sounding music once again! Now my wife can quit nagging me about fixing the radio and I saved myself a couple hundred dollars...
    Here is a shot of the DVD system & of the power point I had installed.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    That's really cool!!!

- P.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Hi y'all. I just got an Avalon rental cuz my 4Runner had some $1500 ECU fail for the VSC. My question is: Where is the radio display? I can tune the radio via scan or seek buttons or the presets, and use the CD or cassette, but cannot find the display for the radio, if there is one. I have no idea what channel I'm on til the announcer gives the station name. The dash has a blacked out screen where I'd think the display belongs. It's a 2005 XL Avalon with 47 (forty-seven) miles total. Is the display failed? Is there a way to turn it on? There is no vehicle manual in the vehicle.

Likes: HP, HP, HP, as well as the ride and handling so far

Dislikes: No radio display and rear window view washed out by sunlight reflecting off area between rear seats and rear window. Large C-pillars no help either. I must admit, the rear view would keep me from buying this vehicle. The HVAC and radio controls also wash out in daylight. My 4Runner has the same issue. Sure wish Toyota would go back to good ole circular knobs.
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "My question is: Where is the radio display?"

canddmeyer - Try the little black button above the radio, in the center of the console. One push for top half of display. Second push for bottom half.

Groza
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Thanks Groza...that was the fix. As my son said when he first got glasses, "Daddy, I can see, I can see".

I also see the trip computer shows the Avalon averaging 16mpg to date. That's 6 mpg below city EPA. I'm surprised it's that low, but then again the car is new.

Thanks again.
  • sctortplacesctortplace Member Posts: 3
    We're going to have an aftermarket XM system installed in our new XLS, which is equipped with the standard XLS sound system. From all I've read, the best sound quality will only come from direct wiring an RCA cable from the XM receiver's "output" into the factory radio receiver's "auxiliary input", if there is one. The question is, does this factory system have an "auxiliary input"? I understand that many/most factory radios do not have these. I guess this is the same thing as asking, "is this radio satellite-ready"?
  • sctortplacesctortplace Member Posts: 3
    We're going to have an aftermarket XM satellite radio system installed in our new XLS, which is equipped with the standard sound system. We did not buy the optional JBL system, as it seemed way beyond anything we needed/wanted, given the pretty deluxe standard system. From all I've read, the best satellite sound quality will only come from direct wiring an RCA cable from the XM receiver's "output" into the factory radio's "auxiliary input", if there is one. The question is, does this factory system have an "auxiliary input"? I understand that many/most factory radios do not have these. I guess this is the same thing as asking, "is this radio satellite-ready"? The dealership is researching this question for us, but so far, no answer. Guess they're not too familiar with this as they refer
    satellite radio add-on's to a local auto stereo shop and no, they don't know either until they take everything apart - they just want to go the wireless FM route, which I do not want.
    sc-I have NOT pulled an 05 stereo yet, but I am showing parts for it. The Soundgate TOYCBL 03, changes the newer style plug, to interface with their AUXTOY1 aux input. Therefore, with the TOYCBL03, you can probably (my guess) also use PIE's "TOY-AUX", if you can't find Soundgate's input converter. Call PIE (pie.net) they may have a direct input, but I am not showing one yet, their tech support is excellent. -nomad56-
  • jxgjxg Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem. My Avalon Limited has the JBL Synthesis Audio System with an in-dash CD changer. It won't play MP3 CD's and the manual warns against putting home-made CD's into the changer. I have a perfectly good CD player that I can use for my home-made CD's but I need a way to pipe the sound signal into the installed system. Is there an aux input on it anywhere?
    See my reply, #742, in Toyota Avalon Owners: Problems & Solutions. -nomad56-
  • delandelan Member Posts: 6
    sctortplace,

I also have the JBL system in my Limited. I downloaded music from the internet using my computer. Burnt 5 cds and loaded them into the JBL system. No problem at all....sounds great.

delan
    Give me a day or three and I will. I want to wait for a nice sunny day, not a dark dreay overcast one like we've been having.

MikeS.
    Give me a day or three and I will. I want to wait for a nice sunny day, not a dark dreay overcast one like we've been having.

MikeS

OK, sorry I'm haven't forgotten just haven't gotten this far yet.

MikeS.
    I was asked to post some more pictures of my car, try this link.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y95/mtpys/

Password is; Avy05
  • putter5putter5 Member Posts: 12
    Just ordered 2005 Avalon XLS. On my prev cars I had the windows tinted ( live in So Florida) I'm wondering if aftermarket tinting affects the reception based on the antenna being imbedded in the rear window. My current wheels 1999 300M with premium radio, I feel sound was compromised after I had the tinting installed. Anybody have an opinion . I did not op for the JBL radio so the car will have the standard sound.Any feedback would be appreciated
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    If you get good quality tinting, it should not affect reception. I just tinted my 05 LTD and reception is untouched. I had an 01 ES300 with tinted windows and had an XM radio antenna mounted inside the car on the rear package deck - absolutely no affect on the reception.
  • pcgpcg Member Posts: 6
    As you can not have a factory Nav system in the 2005 Avalon Touring, I am looking at high end after market Nav units. The Pioneer AVIC-N2 interest me because of large foldaway screen and it is capable of real time traffic updates via SAT Radio. I want to install it in place of my factory JBL stereo and still keep the standard dash radio cover in place. I am also hoping to retain use of the steering wheel radio controls. Any suggestions, thoughts ,or experience with this potential application is greatly appreciated.
  • steph10steph10 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a used 2001 Avalon XLS. I am interested in replacing the Toyota in-console AM/FM/CD/Cassette player with AM/FM/CD/XM. I want something to fit right into that cut out on the console and not look like an add-on perched up on the dash or elsewhere. I was led to believe this is easy........but, now I'm not so sure. Any ideas on how to get this done, where to shop, how to find, etc. Maybe it sounds vain, but I just want it all to look sharp and like it's meant to be there, not attached to some other part of the dash.
    Look in your local yellow pages for car audio places. BestBuy & Circuit City are 2 national chains and there is usually 1 or more local stores that handle car audio. They can show you replacement models that will do exactly what you want.

MikeS.
  • teddylegteddyleg Member Posts: 8
    Hello,

This is my first post here. Looks like a great place to get suggestions and opinions. I am in the final stages of purchasing a 2005 Avalon Limited and I had a question and wanted to see what other owners were experiencing. I am going to get both satellite radio (with the antenna inside the car next to the rear window) and I also have the navigation system.

I know the Nav manual says not to tint the windows as it could affect the GPS system on the Nav, but I'm assuming that's just a standard warning. I had an Acura TL with Nav and had the windows tinted (35%) with no problems at all.

I was happy to read zekeman's input (thanks very much Zeke!) Can others confirm that they have gotten a 35% window tinting (I'm having it done at the same place that did the Acura so I know it's quality) on their Avalon w/Nav and have had no adverse affects on radio reception, satellite radio reception, or Nav reception?

Any input from anyone with tinting and Nav would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks very much.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Have you tried www.crutchfield.com? Maybe get their 800 # and give them a call, tell them your situation and see what they suggest in the way of unit. Then check out your local retailer for the same item...I've found they are extremely helpful/knowledgeable.
    zekeman1
  • eugenegiersoneugenegierson Member Posts: 3
    My avalon xls, 2000, purchased yesterday, came with a JBL woofer that sounds fuzzy; like it is torn. Very annoying.
    I think this is a common problem.
    Is it common?
    Easy fixes? [eg: Kragen woofer, about $20]
    thanks
    eugene
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    I have XM radio in my 02 Avalon. I use the XM Delphi removable unit, have a vehicle specific mount, and wire the antenna, on the back central portion of the roof, about 8" from the back window. Works very well, many miles of enjoyement. Also have dual use as have home docking station to dock into the surround sound system at home.

abfisch
  • funtallyfuntally Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Avalon XLS with a 6 cd player. Never had a problem until today when I got in the car, the CD player would not play, nor could I get any of the CDs that were in the unit to eject. The player was fully loaded with 6 CDs. I can't change CDs or change tracks either. The player displays a "6" for the sixth CS, but doesn't display a track number. The tape player works and I can use the same buttons to change tracks on the tape. Am I going to have to go to the dealer to get this fixed? Has anyone else had similar problems? THANKS, K

PS. This is a factory-installed unit.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    My wife's 2000 xls had the same problem when we bought it used. It was a Toyota CPO, so we did take it back to the dealer. They had to exchange the unit, but we never got our 1 disc that we had in it. It was no biggie though. I had a Mozart throw away disc that I was testing it with when it happened. It also happened in a new Nissan I had once. It seems that most of the dealers have to send it back to the stereo manufacturer for repair. Usually they make no bones about the fact that the chances for disc recovery are slim. If your car is out of warranty, I would take it to a well known car stereo shop first, you may have a better chance of getting your discs back. Good luck.
  • mshalhmshalh Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2005 Avalon with the Navigation system. A Cassette player is not an option. Any Suggestions For Adding/Integrating An External/Internal Cassette Player On Our Avalon? When traveling, we enjoy using libraries books on tapes. We want to continue using cassette tapes if we can find an Okay solution.
  • azfj60azfj60 Member Posts: 15
    Same thing happened when I bought my 2000 XLS (only wires had been cut). I replaced with an $18 versions from Checker. Works great. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, but it sounds good, and cranks up loud enough to vibrate the rear-view mirror!. I think I removed the seat to make installation easier. Still a pretty easy do-it-yourself job.

Rob
  • 05avforum05avforum Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone know how I could add an ipod to this system? I have a 2005 Avalon LTD with the upgraded JBL system but without the XM satellite option. There are several systems one can buy online that attaches to factory Toyota radios for either adding an ipod or simply adding an Aux input.

These systems typically specify they are for factory systems with a CD changer option. My system has an in-dash 6 CD system, so I am not sure it qualifies (are they referring to external only?).

Also, because by my system is made to add an XM satellite and it obviously has some sort of interface for another audio source, I was wondering if I could somehow use that option.

Has anyone come up with a solution? I've tried FM transmitters, but the reception inside the Avalon is terrible, and there is no cassette option in this model since I have the Nav system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • jms4jms4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi ,
    I have a 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS with a 6 cd changer . The cd player will not eject suddenly , and the cd image flashes in the radio window .
    How do I reset this thing , or eject the cds ?
    Thank you in advance for any help .
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    MikeS:

Nice car. Radar detector should be direct linked to the battery. Chicken appears overdone. Just kidding. Enjoy that car. Very nice color.

abfisch
  • cake1cake1 Member Posts: 1
    I took my care to the dealer and he pulled the fuse out to reset it.
  • drb05drb05 Member Posts: 24
    COuld you please let me know where you got the DVD system? i have grey interiror touring.

Thanks,

drb
  • ggg1ggg1 Member Posts: 1
    Last week I experienced exactly the same problem with my factory-installed 6 cd player on my 2000 Avalon XLS as "funtally." Solution? Thanks, g
  • drb05drb05 Member Posts: 24
    Hi all,
    I am planning to a buy a portable DVD player 7" for avalon 05. Wondering if the car is negatively grounded, because the DVD player requires that.

Can somebody help me out?

and also any experiences in using DVD player attached to back of car seat by caselogic or targus portable DVD cases? any suggestions? is 7" too small? I used to have pilot 04 with DVD player. It was OK. Any thick shades that would block sunlight? Sometimes it glares.

And also any suggestions on how to increase the height of booster seat? my 2 yr old kid can't see anything through the window. She is too low on the seat.

Sorry too many questions, any help is much appreciated.

drb
  • pmvisionpmvision Member Posts: 6
    Re: iPod or Aux Options for JBL system [05avforum]
    ...Does anyone know how I could add an ipod to this system?...

Here's something that was posted 'round here awhile back:

http://www.coastaletech.com/viewtech_2005.htm
  • msavalonmsavalon Member Posts: 49
    I really like this Nav system! I have a LTD and didn't want to buy the Nav. Let me know how it went for you if and when you install this. I don't want to take my JBL system out. I will take my cd player out for this.
  • avalon4everavalon4ever Member Posts: 1
    I changed my avalon 1996 XLS battery and the stereo anti-theft system turn on and i can't find my manual. I know my code but don't know where to start and key to press to show up the enter code prompt on the stereo system. Pls help thanks