Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Audio Questions

Comments

• avahooavahoo Member Posts: 1
    I recently inherited a 1997 toyota avalon, and I had to get my battery changed. After I changed the battery, the radio stopped working, thanks to the ingenious security system. I called the previous owner for the code, but he said he never set one up! I called toyota to see what I should do, and they said I needed to bring my car to the dealers, and they would call the company for the code...for a price of 50$! Is there anyway around this dilemma?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Nope, no way out, although it's pretty crappy for the dealer to charge you for this. Maybe you can sweet talk your way through another dealer.
  • burton1burton1 Member Posts: 3
    I had a dead battery. Took three days to realize it wasn't my starter, etc.because I replaced the original battery in the middle of July with a new battery. This time, after I replaced the battery, everything seems to work except for radio. It won't go on. The screen won't light up.

I called the dealer. They said it was either a fuse or it was due to the anti-theft device. I would have to come in so they could order new numbers from somewhere else. Wait a few days, then bring the car back in and they would use a computer to put the new numbers back in. Is this true?

And, what's your guess on why my batteries go bad. Just defective batteries? Or alternator, or?

Thanks, Burton
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    The radio has an anti-theft code built in. Cut the power, you need the code to activate the radio again. Might be a fuse, probably not. Honda has this also... Code is in the package of things from the dealer when the car was sold new. Look for it. Dealer can find it with car serial number. No real difficulty here, just push radio buttons with code...it will work.

Possible bad battery...hard to tell. Clean the terminals, check the alternator..?? Try a new battery. Hope this helps. :)
  • burton1burton1 Member Posts: 3
    My local Avalon dealer that I use near here said he thought my radio wouldn't turn on because I needed a security code. The dealer where I originally bought it (and then moved away a year later) thought it was either the radio colde or a fuse, but most likely the fuse because I wasn't getting security warning messages. Since I wasn't originally given the radio code I asked him to get it for me from Toyota. When he called me back, he told me that Toyota had no record of any Avalon with my radio model number (on the front of my radio), so he couldn't get the code. (??)
    He hoped it was the radio fuse, and told me where and how to change the fuse (under the steering wheel). It was a bad fuse. The radio works fine now. Thank goodness! (I now just hope I never need the security code.)
    Burton
  • macavityabcmacavityabc Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Toyota Avalon Limited. When I'm listening to FM radio, the audio display gives the name of the singer, the song, the station, etc. when I'm stopped or parked, but when the car is driven, the display says that there is no display "for safety reasons." Since the navigation system and other displays are shown when the car is moving, this seems stupid. Is there any way to bypass this and get the info displayed?
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    macavityabc, I couldn't agree more with ya on this! Here is added ammo as to why this is really dumb: if you have the XM radio option (I do...) it shows a lot of information on each station and song, etc. Doesn't make any difference whether you are moving or stopped, it is displayed... even displays the toll-free phone number to phone in requests, that sort of thing. Even the XM screens can be maddening, though, for some reason it truncates the displayed information at 10 characters and spaces, even though there is room for about 30 or 40 characters! You wonder if the designers actually use the products they design?! :confuse:

Mike
  • macavityabcmacavityabc Member Posts: 2
    Right on, Mike. What I can't figure is that the regular FM display (when you're parked or stopped) shows plenty of characters across the screen and not the truncated version that XM displays. I don't understand why stuff like this gets by and into the finished product.
  • dandd58dandd58 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2000 Avalon XLS with the 6 cd player and just started having problems with it. Was the dealer able to repair it or did they replace it? Any idea of how much they wanted to repair it?
  • dandd58dandd58 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Avalon XLS with a factory installed, in dash 6 cd changer. I am wondering if there is a DVD Audio player with 5.1 decoding that could replace the standard player?

If so, what brand did you buy, where did you find it and was the sound improvement worth it?
  • zoom2xtnzoom2xtn Member Posts: 8
    my 2005 Avy Ltd w/ Nav, purchased in July, bugs me --traveling on interstate @ 75 mph --ask wife to punch in nearest McDonalds or nearest gas, etc. -- no, you have to stop -- rediculous to have to stop to find or enter destination

anyone know how to override this safety feature?
  • zoom2xtnzoom2xtn Member Posts: 8
    this is really poor -- should be 32 character
  • hambonerhamboner Member Posts: 12
    Does the 05 Avalon have a nav, radio and xm code for battery replacement? I didn't recieve one at delivery
  • will16will16 Member Posts: 21
    I disconnected my battery on 06 XL and did not have to put code in for radio
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Sorry for such a late reply, I just saw the ?. It is a Vizualogic system installed by a local car audio shop.

MikeS.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Use the voice activated part of the system, tell it to show food POIs, I think you can specify American food establishments. Same thing for gas.

Blame this stupidity on our legal system.

MikeS.
  • sumantpsumantp Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I just bought an iPod2Car unit for my 2006 Avalon Limited. I have never installed car audio systems but would like to try. Can someone provide pointers on how to open the console so I can reach behind the JBL Synthesis system to connect the iPod2Car cable?

Thanks in advance!
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    suman:

I don't have an 06 but have an 02. I have some experience with taking off the plastic panels. These are some of the things I would do.

1. Buy a service manual, not owners manual for the car. It is a little expensive, but usually pays for itself over the life of the vehicle.

2. Make sure when you work on plastic, the ambient temperature is high, at least above 50F.

3. Buy some plastic if you can, not metal trim removal tools. These work best at removing panels and clips.

Good luck.

abfisch
  • sumantpsumantp Member Posts: 3
    abfisch, thanks much for your response.

The iPod2Car is installed now but it uses the satellite radio interface instead of the CD interface as I expected. I can't change tracks using the radio/steering wheel controls. Has anyone run into this issue? I have JBL Synthesis. Are the dip switch settings different for this model? I guess I'll contact iPod2Car support, but if someone already has an answer I'd appreciate it.

Happy Holidays :)
  • hybrid4hybrid4 Member Posts: 4
    I successfully hooked up my iPod to one of the outlets (lighter) in the larger compartments (right armrest). The adaptor is a Kensington and is preprogrammed to tune in to an unused FM frequency, 107.9mhz. I've tried it first in the other outlet but the fit was awkward. Now it works. You may have to noodle with it some.
  • kh101kh101 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Avalon Limited with the factory installed JBL radio to which I added the XM receiver. Does anyone know why (because Toyota, JBL and XM don't)the full artist/song information fails to appear on the large display? I know it's not because it's incapable of that many characters as other messages fill it up. It seems strange that they would offer an XM option and not allow for a full display of the data. On a separate issue, the calendar setting is off, it shows the next day after about 7pm. Is there an easy way to change it as I haven't seen it in the owner's manual. Insights?
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    This problem is not unique to Toyota sat radio setups. I own an Infiniti FX35 and it has the same problem. Infiniti says that is just the way the unit is engineered. Kind of dumb in my opinion.
  • superepsuperep Member Posts: 8
    Picked up my Avalon in Jan 06.
    I got the XM but not the GPS.
    MY BEEF > I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS CAR HAS NO OUTSIDE TEMP MONITOR . It has everything else.
    Am I missing something here? Is there a feature I have overlooked?
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Got one on my 05 LTD. Have you read your manual?
    zekeman1
  • parrothead1parrothead1 Member Posts: 2
    Not sure how you are missing it if you do not have the NAV system the outdoor temp should show on the lower left hand side of the Information center display.

If you do have NAV you have to press the climate button on the NAV control panel
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    mine you push info and shows both passenger's temp settings and outside.,,,
  • mugs454mugs454 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 Limited. When purchasing the car I was not interested in Sirius/XM radio but have since changed my mind. I notice the radio has "Sat" button. Can the dealer add on satellite to existing radio? Approximately how much will it cost?
  • mugs454mugs454 Member Posts: 2
    I also have Avalon Limited 06 with no XM or GPS. However I do have outside temp monitor.
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    MUGS454, your system is ready for the XM radio add-on. You can purchase the same factory unit and have a shop install for you. Avoid the dealer and their high-cost parts. See Message #10143 for details... Let us/me know if further info is needed. Mike
  • iflyx5iflyx5 Member Posts: 14
    You should be able to purchase the xm tuner from the parts counter. It runs about $300. It's a pretty easy DIY project. If you need instructions, let me know. The XM tuner comes with detailed instructions, but I do have some tips that might help.
  • jwhagenjwhagen Member Posts: 4
    I'd be interested in the instructions, if you don't mind. I have tried for the last week (since getting my '06 Limited) to figure this out. Deaaler led me to believe it was XM ready, just add an antenna. So much for honest dealers... Anyway, I have the JBL system and everything else you can get on the Limited including the NAV. What a nice car!

I am anxious to get the satellite working. Lexus sites indicate the owners are installing the antenna (mag mount) inside of the 3rd stop light without any problems. Anyone else have a suggestion instead of mounting an ugly antenna outside, with a magnet (??)

Thanks
    JohnWHagen at my Hotmail.com address. add in the name to the domain.
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    jwhagen: Be careful where ya mount the receiver--originally mine was in the upper right hand corner of the front windshield---continously lost XM signal. Dealer reinstalled to bottom middle of rear window and it's not real noticeable and the XM works great.
    Bob
  • jkbjkb Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 avalon xls which has just started losing the radio presets. It doesn't do it all the time, but it is annoying. It seems to happen more frequently when the car has been driven for several days. I thought it was possible a bad battery which periodically loses power or something, but the clock has never lost time nor has there been any alarms of any kind. Additionally, the outside temperature guage doesn't always give the correct temperature, but does change when the outside temperature changes. What could cause the radio presets to be lost? Is the radio problem related to the outside temperature problem? Is this an electrical system problem? Is this a fuse problem or wire short?

Thanks in advance
  • b1gatorb1gator Member Posts: 12
    I have a 05 Avalon with the DVD Nav System purchased in Mar of 05. Have at the dealer as I write this, trying to find out why in the audio mode the CD disk information does not display the name of the disk and track information. Anyone have similar problems? :mad:
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    b1gator -

It does. The CD must have CD Text info included. Most CD's you buy at the store don't. If you burn your own CD, iTunes does not include CD Text, but Napster does. So - you need to burn your own CD's and use software that includes CD Text info. I have burned a number of disks that show the name, track, etc. on my 05 Avy Limited with the Nav display.

Also, the CD Text info is NOT limited to 10 characters, like the lame info on the XM radio display. What were they thinking?!!

Max
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    a clock might not be as sensitive as the radio to a loss of power.

your temp sensor being off is more likely related to where the sensor is located and it's being affected by heat radiating from the engine... but as long as it is consistently off, you know the approximate temperature right?

anyway, do you have difficulty sometimes starting the vehicle? curious.

there are several possibilities here, including a marginal battery (yours may be at its expected lifespan 4yrs is considered pretty good, yours is what 6-7years?), or a marginal alternator (or a slipping belt on the alternator pully), or as you say a wiring issue.

i doubt a fuse, however a fuse holder? possibly intermittent flow of juice because of bad contacts. sure. also, possibly the radio unit itself has some solder joints that loosen when the vehicle is hot or there is a lot of vibration.

first step for me is to pull out my owners manual and pull and reseat the fuse for the accessories / radio.

second step here for me? i'd drive my Avalon over to a car parts store (like Advance Auto) or such. Most of these places will have battery/alternator testers which do a good job of checking these two parts of the vehicle. they actually apply a load on the battery and alternator and see if the battery recovers and the alternator output remains high.

i'd perhaps consider putting an aftermarket radio in the vehicle if the battery and alternator proved good, and the fuse for the accessories was well seated and the station resetting continued.

hope it helps.
  • niteoneniteone Member Posts: 41
    3puttmax,

could you tell us how your burning your cd's?
    are u using windows media player 10 with windows xp?
    are you using wma or mp3 format?

I burnt some cd's using the above with wma format and they play, but the audio quality isn't as good as a store bought cd playing in the 12 speaker surround sound in my 2006 xls Avalon. And, they sometimes skip.

they played great in my 2001 Camry JBL system.

so, could you explain how you burnt the cd's and what format your using and software etc? And, what cd brand your using?

thanks
    could you tell us how your burning your cd's?

niteone -

Sorry folks, this is starting to sound like an audio forum, not Avalon forum. Briefly, I use the CD burning engine in Napster, whatever that is, because it includes CD Text in the burn. As for sound quality, that depends on the sample rate you use to rip the original music. I use mp3 at 192 kbps, which sounds fine to me. Others may disagree.

And I use 87 Octane gas - never notice any pinging and performance is still very strong.

Max
  • niteoneniteone Member Posts: 41
    thanks Max and thanks everyone for your letting Max and I talk a little bit about the cd thing.

I'll tty that sample rate using mp3 Max...

thanks again.
  • b1gatorb1gator Member Posts: 12
    Max,
    Thanks for the info--I thought most new CDs had that info on them. Do you know how to distinguish which have it and which don't?

BC
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's talk about your thoughts and questions on audio capabilities here!
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    For the last couple of weeks I have been having a bad aural experience with XLS. The sounds from the JBL speakers are muffled even at the lowest volume level.

So far I have changed all the settings: increase/lower the base, trebble, fade etc. without any success. Does anyone have any idea why the sudden bad fidelity? Since the car is out of warranty the dealer will charge an arm an a leg for a diagnosis.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    My first guess would be that the tweeters in the dash are shot. I assume you have a 2000-2004 car since you say its out of warranty. Put your ear up to the tweeters on the dash, (look for the JBL logo) if you hear nothing that is the problem. I remember from my '03 that the door speakers in the front do not carry any highs, the rear door speakers do, but they could be bad also.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    I'm curious about the factory XM radio on an Avalon, I've heard that the PIO XM places the antenna on the trunk lid. Can you get XM from the factory and is the installation better? Would I be better off going to the local XM outlet for installation?
    bluesman3 -

I bought the Toyota XM kit from a dealer, then had a stereo shop install it. Had them use a smaller (Terk) antenna that mounted inside at the front windshield/dash top juncture. Practically invisible. The reception may not be quite as good as with an external mount, but I've found it quite acceptable. I'm glad I did it this way, rather than have an external box on the trunk. There's a picture of it on main 2005+ Avy forum, post no. 5279.

Max
    Thanks for the tips! I'll check that out.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    My '03 XL has a JBL sound system and it is by far the best radio and CD/tape player I have ever enjoyed in a car. Not really in to music but this thing sounds wonderful. All the notes my ears can hear and probably a few I can't. It came in the car and is worth every penny. The '06 can't be any better, or is it? audiophiles...??
    All I can say is the stock stereo sounds like mud..... It's flat, the sound isn't full and there's no power.

The JBL on the other hand really sounds good!
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    The JBL in the '06 is a little better (IMO). I just came out of an '03 and am an avid audio nut. The '06 system has better imaging and to me a flatter response. It also plays louder and is a bit cleaner at the high volumes. The earlier system could be a little boomy. However, I must say that prior to my '06 that system was the best I ever had in a car without putting in aftermarket gear.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    My first guess would be that the tweeters in the dash are shot. I assume you have a 2000-2004 car since you say its out of warranty. Put your ear up to the tweeters on the dash, (look for the JBL logo) if you hear nothing that is the problem.

Thanks tjc78 for your input.I don't know what happened but suddenly I can hear all speakers crisp and clear. By the way the car is a 2000 XLS.