Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Interior

ke21ke21 Member Posts: 2
01 Avalon XLS, 22000KM. Rattles from front right door on any hush roads. Anyone experiences this? How to solve it. Have sent the cat back to dealer for 5 times without fixing it.
Annoying!!
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• alan1111alan1111 Member Posts: 10
    I have a loud tapping noise coming from behind speedo or center of dash only on hard accerlaration (3000rpm and up) or in idle it does when revved up and local dealer cannot find. anyone with solution highly appreciate.
  • raylor4raylor4 Member Posts: 5
    Our trunk release lever stopped working suddenly, and an inspection of the latch mechanism revealed that the cable had simply come out of its holding bracket. I replaced the cable sheath into it's holding slot and shored it up with a piece of folded cardboard so it wouldn't pop out again. Hope this hint helps anyone with the same problem. The trunk locking mechanism is very straight-forward. By the way, if you ever get locked in your trunk, you can get out by pulling the cosmetic covering off the inside of the trunk between the latch and the lock, then moving the lever that connects the two. Hey, we live in dangerous times!
  • abbuckeyeabbuckeye Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2002 Avalon with 13,000 miles. A few months ago she had to have the driver side door panel replaced because the seat belt didn't retract and the latch was wedged between the panel and the pillar. Toyota replaced it but said that happens very often and that it will probably happen again. The service manager said we are to look each time we get out of the car and manually retract the belt if needed. We were willing to do that, although my much cheaper Corolla doesn't need this to be done, but last month during a storm the wind caught the door and slammed it shut. Sure enough the latch was wedged and damaged the panel. Our dealer said they wouldn't replace the panel any more even though they admit there is a problem so we went to the regional office and was told the same thing. They refuse to replace the panel and they refuse to do anything about the seat belt.
    We bought 2 Toyotas in the last 2 years thinking their quality and service was top-notch only to find out they're no better than anybody else.

Has anyone else had this problem or maybe know what can be done?
  • nonjth13nonjth13 Member Posts: 91
    have the same issue with the driver side belt not retracting automatically my 01 xls. Only solution i have found is to make sure the belt retracts manually. seems as if detroit ethics have finally made their way to our pseudo japanese car companies
  • zebra5zebra5 Member Posts: 47
    I have a '97 Avalon XL. The interior trunk release handle, located on the floorboard down by the driver's feet, no longer opens the trunk, although I still hear it clicking when I lift the release handle. The only way I open the trunk now is getting out of the car and opening it with the car key - which is annoying. I first suspected it was a blown fuse, but as far as I can tell, the trunk latch release is mechanical, not electrical. Anybody have suggestions how to fix?
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Looking for a suggestion to keep my 96 Avalon windows from sticking shut.

The window channels are clean and so is the glass. It has happened to both right side windows in the last few weeks: They won't open. Nothing wrong with the electrical connections - I can hear the motor in the door click. On the rear window I was able to get it free by pushing down on the glass while pushing the power window button. The passenger side front required taking off the door panel and tapping the track while pushing the button.

Everything is clean and the windows work fine once freed.
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Nomad56:

Sweet tech advice on the HVAC system. Not my game above.

Sticky windows. You found the problem. To prevent it the easiest way, I have gotta think, some "Blue Marine Grease" (Hydrophilic) in the slides, will keep it from sticking. You have an 8 year old car, and I would imagine the seals and channels have changed a little. Without replacing the entire mechanism, I would first try some Blue Marine Grease or any good quality synthetic grease on the mechanism that sticks to it, Weather or not.

abfisch
    I wish I knew where the windows were sticking. I have put silicone lube on the channels and weather strips. I also put a special non drying, non-sticky, lube on the track. Never had power windows stick shut before, even on my 18 year old Toyota Van.

I was able to pass a wire completely around the glass along the door frame, so I'm sure it was not sticking to the channels or weather strip. That leaves the track. The plastic (that holds the window) that rides on the track was not rough and appeared undamaged. The track itself was clean with no rough spots, though there was some lubricant on it.

I suppose it could be the window motors, but two at once?
  • bdriscbdrisc Member Posts: 1
    The center display - - the bright blue one in the center of my 2000 Avalon is disappearing. The background is now a charcoal gray color rather than blue. I can still see the information being displayed (day, temp, etc.) but just barely. The car has 67k miles on it and otherwise is in really good shape. Any help??

Thanks
  • hamcarmanhamcarman Member Posts: 6
    Have you checked your headlight switch and moved it from Auto to off to see if there was any change. I know there is a relay that is associated with the head light switch that can cause this. I know you have already checked to make sure your reostat for your dash lights is turned up.
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    On my '97 Avalon XLS (64,000 mi) I have been living for months with a driver-side power seat that squeals as it approaches the full rear travel. Dealer has tried to lube it a couple of times, which seems to help temporarily, but the squeal resurfaces after a few days. When I look at the track mechanism is doesn't seem to be overly lubricated so I am not sure the dealer service tech is getting grease in the right spot(s). Now the dealer says they must replace the track assembly to fix the problem. However, the cost is $1650 to do so. The car is only worth about $8000 so this doesn't sound cost effective. Anybody had this problem and fixed it for a reasonable fee?
  • nickditoronickditoro Member Posts: 2
    I've only had my '01 Avalon XLS for two days, so this may be only part of the learning curve, but the INST ECON setting changes constantly, very randomly, and with a wide spectrum of values, from, say, 3mpg to 50mpg in 6 seconds, all while driving on a straight-away with cruise set at 62mph.

The manual says that the displayed value is updated every 2 seconds, so I expect the value to change, but not wildly.

Is there something I need to do to "set it" or is this something I should check with Toyota about? (Car has 29,000 miles, and I purchased the extended 100,000 warranty.)

Thanks.
  • qualitynutqualitynut Member Posts: 36
    INST ECON stands for Instantaneous Economy and your display is operating correctly. The reason you see the numbers moving around so much is 1) the update time which you identified, and 2) because the instantaneous mpg actually does change based upon the driving conditions (let off gas, up hill, down hill, flat surface, etc.) You should set it to AVG ECON for more meaningful information. It will reset every time you add fuel. Based on definition of the INST ECON, there is nothing to "set." INST ECON is almost worthless in my opinion for the reasons I have just given. For your reference, I can easily attain 28-29 avg. mostly freeway and can obtain 30-31 all freeway (Ohio, mostly flat terrain). Fuel type doesn't seem to matter much, perhaps 1 mpg difference between 87 and 92 octane.
  • nickditoronickditoro Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the very helpful response. I'm greatly relieved to know that the car and its gauges are ok. Anyway, I've set the reading to AVG ECON, which is making sense to me.

Nick
  • lufululufulu Member Posts: 2
    After 5 yrs and 60K miles of ownership, my 1999 Avalon's airbag light has suddenly started sporadically coming on.

My dealer did a diagnosis and has determined that both the sensor and the left airbag unit needs to be replaced based on an error code from the diagnosis. The cost is rather steep - $930!!

My questions are
    - Is it possible for an original, undeployed airbag to be deemed faulty?
    - What can happen to it that necessitates a replacement?

Before I ask the dealer to go ahead and replace the airbag I thought I will request this forum to weigh in!! If any of you have an experience with this, I would appreciate a response.

Thanks

PS. The Toyota Customer Service did a search for me and didn't find any recall. Additionally they were not very useful with hints on how to verify the dealer's claim!!
  • nomad56nomad56 Member Posts: 134
    lufulu-Have you had any work done recently, that would require an alignment(ie: struts)???

...or, any work that included an airbag "reset"???

If the diagnostic code is for sensor/airbag replacement, I (personally/IMO) would start with the sensor, first, and retest. You may also get a second opinion. Perhaps with a tech who has seen this before???? ...but, I am imagining it is unusual. -nomad56-
  • lufululufulu Member Posts: 2
    nomad56
    Thx for the response.

Nope - no struts work or airbag reset! The service reps at my dealership don't appear interested in probing into this issue but rather would replace the unit. Hence, I'm wary!!

I will try to get some other opinions - one problem is that a diagnostic costs around $70 - so there is cost associated with these additional opinions.

Thx
    lufulu-I don't think you need to run the diagnostic again. Call, or stop at a dealer, and let 'em know what it's doing. See if a tech has experienced this. Or, has any recommendations. I do not recall any service bulletins on this one. -nomad56-
  • tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    I have a 98 Avalon xls and have had excellent service. The only thing I can find wrong right now is that the cup holders that pop out of the center console stick. Striking the top of the arm rest frees this but is annoying. Does anyone know how to access or remove the cup holder mechanism so it can be serviced?
    Thanks.
  • kicker9kicker9 Member Posts: 57
    If anyone has any detailed info as to how to remove the dash vents above the stereo, it would be greatly appreciated. I have a rattle in the vacinity and don't want to pay dealer hourly rate to search.
    Thanks
    Kick-You didn't say what year, but they ALL pry out-newer models they are self contained, older models they are attached to the radio bezel. Pulling it out away from the dash, as straight as possible. They are held in with those sheet metal clips that wedge into a box shaped hole. A 2" putty knife wrapped in a rag is best for prying it out. However tools are rarely needed. -nomad56-
  • djmdjm Member Posts: 1
    The light on the right side of my 98 Avalon dashboard is out. (Can't see the MPH or fuel gauge at night.) I pulled the plastic cover and metal pieces below the steering column in hopes of getting access to the bulb from behind and underneath the dash with no luck. Any advice on how/what to remove next in order to get to the bulb would be appreciated.
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    yesterday mysteriously the power window on the drivers side front door stopped working. It wasnt cold and i last used the window a day before. I had some rust proofing done including the door about a month back. In the morning it started working again. Is there a overload protection mechanism in the motor and could the rustproofing oil do any damage. Its a 96 avalon xls.
    Also have 96 Avalon. Starting last year, one or more of the windows sometimes do not work. It is always just one or two, with the others working fine. Just happened to both right side windows a couple of weeks ago. They stop working for no apparent reason and will start working again, sometimes days later. They will usually continue working perfectly for several months before the cycle repeats.

I've pulled off the interior door panels, unmounted the motors, cleaned and lubed the track, and made sure nothing was binding. I also tried bypassing the main switch and the individual door switch, as well as he anti-theft system, when I powered the motors directly from the battery. Didn't work. Sometimes, tapping directly on the motor or track will get the motor working again, but usually not. Then, hours or days later all is working perfectly.

My Avalon received the wind noise upgrade kit years ago that included new windshield side moldings, new door weather strips, new front window motors that closed the windows tighter, etc.

It is hard to believe that I have four bad window motors or four bad individual window switches. Even when a non driver door window is stuck shut I can hear the click in the door when the driver's door master switch for that window is pressed. That eliminates the master switch on the driver's door and other non-motor electrical components. My volt meter says the switches are okay too.

Please post what it takes to fix your reluctant window.
  • giraffegiraffe Member Posts: 1
    Just this morning my 99 Avalon did the same thing. The airbag light came on and stayed on until I turned the car off. Anyway, what did you finally wind up doing about your airbag light?
  • zebra5zebra5 Member Posts: 47
    I have a 97 Avalon on which the rear driver side window has not worked since about six months after the warranty ended. A dealer tried to sell me a new motor, to which I declined. It mysteriously started working again for a while, but then shortly after stopped once and for all. Maybe somebody out there has cracked the code on what the most likely solution is - if so please share it.

I also have had what I consider excessive wind noise from the front driver side window from Day One with this car. Fndlyfmrflyr, when did you get your wind noise upgrade kit, might it apply to 97 models also, and did you have to request it or were you contacted (i.e., a recall)? I've heard nothing about such a thing.
    A good slam of a read door usually gets the a rear door window working again. I've had the panels off and cleaned the connectors. Also made sure there was no binding on the track and nothing in the window channels. Took out the motors and checked them too (Every time I pulled a motor it worked fine when I tested it).

The wind noise fix was for 1995 and 1996 Avalons. New windshield moldings like those on the 1997 model were installed. New door weather stripping and new design rubber sound strips around the doors were installed. Insulation was added to the side mirrors and new front door power window motors were installed that closed the windows tighter.

There was no recall. Dealers would do the fix for customers that complained of wind noise around the front door mirrors and near the tops of the front door closed windows. The fix did not make a big difference. However, I stopped noticing the wind noise after the fix, so it must have done some good.
  • oilslick1oilslick1 Member Posts: 1
    Does the Avalon have a transmission filter that needs to be changed with the oil? Thanks.
  • stmanga1stmanga1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I do not know answer on your question,but I would like to ask you were did you get window noise upgrade kit for avalon..thank you
    The dealer. This was done when the car was less than two years old.
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    Anyone know of a good place to purchase the all weather floor mat for a 2001 Avalon XLS??
  • hamcarmanhamcarman Member Posts: 6
    I bought a very nice set of mats at WalMart. I think I paid 19 buck for them. As I recall that was for the front only.
    I purchased mine for my 03 online at weathertech.com I think they were about 100.00 plus shipping, very heavy duty and easy to clean
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    Weathertech mats are excellent, and do a great job of catching slush, mud, sand, etc.. However, if you store them for any period of time, do not fold them. Mine developed a perfect crack and split in two when I took them down off the shelf for the next winter season.
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    The Gulf states master distributor(5 southern states) options on the new Avalon was quoted for $1800.00. Of the crap on the list I am interested in options in the package that cost about $385 at MSRP. Any suggestions on ways to deal with this, other than buying out of state from a dealer who doesn't fall under the umbrella?
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Cove148:

This may not give you alot of comfort, but way back in 2001/2002, I was at a similar dilemma. I did not want the package but wanted similar items in the package, but could not order "a la carte".

I wound up buying the XL instead of the XLS, and while frustrating getting the options that I wanted put on for 1.5 years, I have a car that I like very much, and is not available on the North American market. If you are handy and patient, you can outfit the lower priced model your way.

I did with upgraded PIAA bulbs, XM Delphi stereo, PIAA fog and driving lights, 2 sets, both separate relays, Tokico HP struts, Energy Suspension PU bushing changes, a manual compass believe it or not, a Canadian Bug/Stone deflector, I changed the horn cause I could not stand the little bitty horn they used (probably off all the other models), added the splash guards myself, Weathertech mats, etc.

You get the picture. It cost around the same as a XLS, about 4-5K and that is on the high side, maybe a little less. I forgot the trailer hitch and the wiring. And, for the XM question, the delphi antenna on mine looks like a little mouse. We ran it down the right rear window rain channel, then under the truck seal, and then under the truck plastic and inner fascia through the rest of the car under the interior panels. Took some doing but came out very good. Seal it up with chaulking.

Good luck.

abfisch
  • barrygelbarrygel Member Posts: 5
    Ask your dealer if he has any cars coming in that have not made the "port" yet. The dealer i bought my 05 limited from put a note on the invoice(or whatever paper work there is) not to add the unwanted options (toyoguard $699) etc.
  • sparkyguysparkyguy Member Posts: 1
    2003 XLS w/14k Miles
    Developed a strange "squeak", not really a rattle, somewhere around the computer display panel (where the GPS option would go, but I don't have it). Not very loud, but I can hear it on almost every bump I hit. It's really annoying, especially for a car costing >$30k. Since the airbag equipment is behind the dash, I'm hesitant about taking the dash apart to try to locate it. Also, I can only hear it on a bump while driving, so it would be difficult to find standing still. I also have a '91 Cressida with >150k miles that's still has no squeaks or rattles, but that car was still made IN Japan. Any other owners have a similar noises in their Avalons.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    I've gotten leather for the first time in a car. What do I need to do to maintain it?

MikeS.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    While you're waiting for an Avalon owner to reply, try entering "leather" in the keyword search to your left. There is one current discussion about maintaining leather uphosltery, but also quite a few archived topics that may be helpful.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Thanks Karen!
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I had a 2000 Avalon that had that squeak or creaking noise in the middle part of the dash. I annoyed the heck out of my service advisor by taking it back every month or so for the first 2 years of its life. They could never find it. Finally they pulled the whole dash out and the dash had a crack right down the middle! So, they put in a whole new dash. Problem fixed!
    I also had a dash squeak/rattle around the radio area, I pulled (hard) out the double vent section above the stereo and added extra foam around the vent part that inserts into the air duct (it's easy to see what I mean when you pull it out), be sure to disconnect the wiring harness and put some tape on the blade of a flat screwdriver to pull out the vents.
  • davef2davef2 Member Posts: 2
    on my 3rd avalon and have never got a answer on how to clean avalon leather seats
  • lutgenlutgen Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 XLS with a "tic-tic" in the same dash area you described when driving over bumps or irregularities in the road. mentioned it to the dealer who "could not reproduce at this time" -- probably because the car had been in the heated work area prior to test drive (the sound is worse when the temperature is below 50 degrees. as you said, for a car costing 30K+ it is disappointing. i'm reluctant to have anybody tear the dash out in search of the noise for fear of creating other problems. i owned Hondas prior. May own them once again.
  • bakeroidbakeroid Member Posts: 39
    cove148,

I live in west/central Florida and recently bought an '05 Limited from the Sales Manager at the Toyota dealer in Ames, Iowa. He gave me a great price, with absolutely no port of entry add-ons, no dealer add-ons, no dealer prep charges, or any other "smoke and mirrors" charges. We dealt strictly from the true Factory Invoice. The dealer also delivered my car to Florida and picked up my '03 XL trade-in at no cost.(gave me $500 over KBB) He sends a truck from Ames to Florida every two weeks to pick up used Caddies and Lincolns for the Midwest market (big supply here, big market there). Painless, big money saving transaction.

Bakeroid
  • callahan2callahan2 Member Posts: 2
    I actually borrowed my Uncle's 98' Toyota Avalon for the last couple of months. 1st off - What a great car!!!!

Now my issue. I'm not sure if it was always like this or this just happened. At night when I turn the headlights on, the backlights behind the defrost buttons and other buttons to the left of the radio do not turn on. Are there lights there that should turn on? Right now I can't see the defroster button at all at night and the other buttons around it. I am not sure if its always been like that or if something went out.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what were your solutions? How easy is it to remove that portion of the dash?

Thanks in advance!!!!

-TC
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    there are 4 buttons. fresh air/recircle/defroster/A/C
    these are all backlighted. On mine they intermittently come on. what i do is tap gently on the middle between the buttons (not ON the buttons)and they come up.
  • callahan2callahan2 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, that's correct. I was too lazy to go out and see what the rest of the buttons were until this morning. I've tried tapping it without luck. Curious to see how complicated it is to get behind them and replace the bulb(s), if they're out.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    I had the same tapping noise in my 2002. It sounded like it was coming from the dash or possibly the windshield. I eventually discovered that it was actually coming from the windshield wiper motor which is located in a compartment between the internal firewall and the firewall ahead of the engine compartment. To access the motor, remove the windshield wipers, remove the black grill/cover between the windshield and hood, and tighten the bolts that secure the motor's mounting clamp and any other bolts in the area.
    The grill fitted very loosely and was also a possible source for rattling, so I applied some self-adhesive rubber weather-stripping from Home Depot to the underside circumference of the grill where it contacts the body when in place, and I used different retaining clips from Pep Boys to secure the grill firmly in place.
    No more rattles!
    Note that dry leaves trapped in this lower grill area, toward the hood, also cause a rattling sound which sounds like it is coming from the dash, so check there first!
    Hope this helps.
    ">