Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Interior

Comments

• abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    A heat gun costs very little at Home Depot. If you don't feel comfortable, a car stereo place should be able to do it if they are good.

abfisch
  • trippertripper Posts: 3
    After reading all the precautions that go along with using a heat gun and having no experience, I'd rather entrust it to someone who knows what he's doing. I appreciate the suggestion of a car stereo place and will let you know how I make out.
    Thanks for your help!!
  • 20992099 Posts: 60
    The master power window switch "broke" on my 2002 Avalon @ 35,000 miles and was replaced under warranty. Now, one year later it is messed up again. Right rear button is broken (hardly EVER used it). Also two weeks ago wife broke passenger side window up/down switch. Also hardly ever used. Now I am out of warranty and I am sure these are expensive swiches to replace (especially the master one.) Anyone else have a problem with these? Otherwise car has been flawless. Thanks.

Tom
  • Anyone here have experience with aftermarket seat covers? My wife is using her Avalon for sales and due to getting in and out of the car 20 -30 times a day, the seat is beginning to wear fast. I would like to find one that fits well enough not to slide around with you as you get in and out.
  • alan_salan_s Posts: 356
    If your Avalon is a 2000 model or newer, (or earlier with SIPS) you can't use seatcovers that cover the sides of the seats because the covers will interfere with the operation of the side-impact air bags. You can use "seat cushions".
  • Thanks for the info. I noted a web site that custom made covers and it asked if it was the model with side impact air bags. I'm not really sure if My Wife's car has them or not. It is a 2000 XLS. Was it an option, or standard? I will check tonight when She gets home.
  • alan_salan_s Posts: 356
    Your 2000 has SIPS standard.
  • Thanks Alan_S
  • Toyota Avalon 2001 The driver window has Jam protection function when you press automatic closing operation. When ever I press this automatic closing switch the window closes and then opens halfway. I can't stop this operation. The operation manual writes" if the window receives a strong impact, this function may work even if nothing is caught".
    The function is working fine but it is a nuisance. How to stop the strong impact. The strong impact is caused by the closing speed of the motor. You cannot control the closing speed of the motor. Anybody knows how to fix this problem. Is the motor bad or the switch?
    lkg2244:

Yes, I have a 02 with similar problems. Solution: Open the window all the way. Clean the rubber with windex or similar around the perimeter. Then take some silicone, on a clean rag, and sparingly apply it to the entire the perimeter.

Move the window up and then down again. Your auto feature should work now. You will have to clean the rubber channel every so open using the same technique.

abfisch
  • Best are at Sam's club - thick, heavy duty
  • I agree. I brought a set last week. Love em! :shades:
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    In a 2006 Limited, which parts of the seats are leather and require cleaning and treatment with leather care products, and which parts are vinyl and should be treated with vinyl care products?
  • dscc1dscc1 Posts: 1
    In cold weather, <30 degrees, the car fogs up all windows. We replaced the air conditioning core below the radio because it was leaking and the mechanic indicated this caused the fogging. Well...the window fogging is back. When we turn everything off we hear a vent or ball fall inside the vent chamber. When this happens and we turn everything back on it will defrost and work fine...sometimes...
    Anybody have a clue what's up????
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The new evaporator core probably still has the nylon porus coating which retains condensate for an extended period. The only easy way to keep this from happening is to leave the windows down in the garage every night to let the condensate from the previous day's A/C operation evaporate and "drift" out of the cabin overnight via convection airflow.

Or you can buy and install an EED from airsept.com.

More info by googling:

nippondenso demist

Ignore the Ehow hit, its incomplete.
  • does anyone have any suggestions on cleaning the leather cooling/heated seats. I would like to clean my seats,but am concerned about possible damage to the seat functions. what have other people used?
    Kl:

I use regular Ole, Mcguires or Turtle Wax Leather conditioner/cleaner all in one. It seems to work nicely to get out some imbedded dirt and treat the leather. There are other more expensive fancier products but I cannot substantiate them.

abfisch
  • hank6hank6 Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Avalon w/94000 miles. The interior is developing moisture on the interio windows. Tried all settings on the heat/ac system. Does this year have a cabin filter and this could be the problem or some other problem.
    New car to you or you have moved to a new locale, say Seattle?

Common complaint of all Toyota/Lexus vehicle or really any vehicle using a climate control designed by NipponDenso, Denso US.

The best and quickest solution is to lower the windows slightly in the garage each and every night to let the cabin dry out. The main problem generally is the level of condensate left on the A/C evaporator after using the A/C, and many new vehicles run the A/C year 'round.

Google for:

airsept EED

Or:

Nippondenso demist

Ignore the ehow "hit"
  • hank6hank6 Posts: 2
    The car is not a climate control car. This only started to happen in the winter. Does this car have a ac filter that might need replacing could this be the problem? Chicago is very cold car is left out all year round.
    It doesn't have to be automatic climate control to exhibit the symptoms described by the EED solution.
  • I have a 2000 Avalon with power leather seats. Does anyone know if a memory-seat control be added to the existing power seat assembly by adding a control panel, an electronic board, and/or some additional wiring, etc.? Anyone know of anyone who's done it? What parts would I need? Help!
  • I was a bit spoiled by the car seat in my 2000 Buick LeSabare Limited. It was very comfortable! That car also had a "bun-warmer" but no cooler. The Avalon has both but the seat is way too firm and after driving it only for about 350 miles, I am feeling the discomfort of the seat. Anyone else have similar experience? I can always use a portable cushion but it gets in the way of the heating/cooling systems. Any ideas?
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Posts: 422
    The "comfort level" of the seats in the LTD is pretty subjective...what one person thinks is comfortable, isn't for the other person.

This topic has been batted around at length...suggest you search the topic using the search box at the top & bottom of each page; believe you'll find many opinions & ideas.

BTW, my LTD seats are perfect (at least for me and my wife).
    zekeman1
  • Yes, they're a little firm and there is no side support. We'll see if I get used to them. Initially, I thought about swapping the seats out for something more comfortable. Nope. You're not imagining things..........
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    I've finally developed the first problem with my '06 LTD. I have a small rattle somewhere . . . I think around the dash. The sound is the exact same sound you get when you shake a blown-out light bulb: the small sound of the filament shaking against the glass. It is unrelated to speed but only occurs when I'm moving. It is not always present but seems to be more pronounced when going over bumps.

Any ideas?
  • Take it in, that's what a warranty is for. An hour after buying my LTD I noticed a rattling sound coming somewhere from the door. I took it in, they test drove it with me to make sure I wasn't dreaming and a few hours later they found a loose nut under the drivers seat. And now, no more rattle :)
  • tj2000tj2000 Posts: 2
    DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THIS SQUEEKING NOISE IS COMING FROM ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE DASHBOARD. WHEN IT'S COLD IT SEEMS TO BE A BIT LOUDER. THANKS
  • ploganplogan Posts: 1
    I got the same problem, but for '05 Touring. The only time I dont hear it is right after I get my tires balanced and rotated.
  • mldj98mldj98 Posts: 378
    I have read in a couple of different places some complaints about the front seats of the new 06 Avalon.
    The articles I have read on the internet mentioned that the front seats are firm or hard and it is hard to find a comfortable position. Has anyone come across this? The article mentioned a couple of people who had the limited model and complained about lower back pain.....to the point of wanting to get rid of the car......any input would be much appreciated.......