Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon - Remotes, Remote Start, Door Locks and Security System Questions

13»

Comments

• lovemyavalon1lovemyavalon1 Member Posts: 1
    My remote start only works at the dealer; aside from that it works about once out of 6 or 10 tries. By then, I'm already at the car and then it turns off when I open the door. The only time remote start may be of use is if you grab your snow scraper out of it first, THEN turn on the engine if you can, and let it warm up while you scrape.
    Having a garage, I don't use remote start when at home. With this in mind, it's useless.
    Dealer said the only option is for it to turn off when the door is opened.
  • 40644064 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 avalon limited that I bought new and had no problems until my warranty expired. When I had 40,000 miles on the car the drivers door would unlock and instead of the 2 beeps and 2 light flashes it woud unlock but you could hear the locks on all the doors cycling about 6 times with about 6 flashes of the lights soon the door would not open from the outside at all but the cycling and the flashes continued and I had to go the passenger side and lean across to open the drivers door. Brought the car back to the dealer and he fixed the problem to the tune of $710.00. They replaced a module in the driver's door and about a month latter the passenger door started the same thing. I wasn't about to spend another $710.00 so I took the door apart myself and replaced a small DC motor that activates the lock mechanism($6.00). The doors worked fine for about two months and the rear passenger door started the same thing. I fixed that one but now if I have it programmed for all the doors to unlock when the drivers door in entered the on all the doors and lights continue to cycle and flash about 6 times but they do all unlock. If the locks are programmed to open just the drivers door it will unlock properly with just the normal two beeps and two flashes of light, but touch any other door and they all unlock but with multible cycling and flashing. Even after all the doors are unlocked, you touch any other door except drivers door with the fob in your pocket they still flash and cycle the locks repeatedly. If the fob is not in your pocket and the doors are open there is no cycling and flashing. I have been to three different dealers and none of them can figure it out. They told me they have never seen this before. I can't believe that I'm the only one who has had this problem.
  • sallynoblesallynoble Member Posts: 1
    The same thing happened on our 2000 Avalon. I got a code sheet from iKeyless.com when I bought new remotes from them. There are a series of steps that you have to take in very strict order in order to reprogram the remote. Then our both worked again. Very mysterious, but I am very grateful to ikeyless.com. The dealership wanted to charge me more than $100 to reprogram them. (open the door, take key in and out of ignition, lock and unlock door 5 x, etc.) I'm sure that each model has a different series of steps that work. Anyways, the ikeyless staff are very knowledgeable and will tell you if they can help you.
  • richa555richa555 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 Avalon Limited. I have the factory VIP remote starter. It has worked perfectly since 2006, but now when I go to remote start it, it goes through the same routine, and when the lights flash the final time before it starts....nothing, it's doesn't attempt to turn over the car.

The fob is fine and both fobs do the same thing. I can't even find the remote starter under the dash, so I'm guessing it's integrated into the car somewhere, unlike the aftermarket ones.

Has anyone had this happen, and if so, what was the problem?

The only thing I can think may have caused it, is that I had to get a jump start recently. Could this have done something? Everything else is working fine.
  • cl77cl77 Member Posts: 1
    To richa555: I have that same issue. Took my car to dealership service dept. They took 5 hours after having to troubleshoot the computer system. Found out the main chip in the starter system was relaying only three doors were locked instead of all four. Before the starter could activate, all four doors must indicate locked and car is in park. So I had to purchase a new chip which is like purchasing a new system.
  • richa555richa555 Member Posts: 4
    How much did the dealer charge you to replace the chip??
  • sega37sega37 Member Posts: 1
    Recently had a Viper Remote Start installed, car is running awfully, ran injector cleaner through car is still missing, someone stated he had a remote starter installed in a 2001 Camry and had to have it taken out because of car running like crap. Has anyone else have this problem with a aftermarket supposibly good system.