Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Exterior Questions

sparky53sparky53 Member Posts: 13
Iown a 2003 Avalon xls with lunar mist paint.I have been unable to get the proper touch up paint from the dealer.The paint they gave me is bright silver & it sticks out like asore thumb!They say they are trying to get me the proper paint but so far no luck. Anyone having this problem?On the subject of timing chains-belts,Toyota has put out a FYI on its website dated4/14/03 that all Avalons have timing belts.Love yoyr website,very helpful.Thanks.

Comments

• mikem30mikem30 Member Posts: 20
    I took my 2003 Avalon to a dealer last week to have him inspect what I thought were some paint imperfections. This car is garaged,washed weekly and waxed 3-4 times a year. I was amazed to be told that the problem was environmental damage, not covered under warranty and was told to use baking soda on the paint to "slow down" the problem. I am a little skeptical about this advice/solution. Does anyone have any experience on this?
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Mikem30:

I have a 02 Avalon. No sure what type of imperfections you describe. Can you be more specific as to what and where they are. Many chips I have from highway driving, but less now with a Stone guard deflector although not elated about the way it looks. I would use some mild rubbing compound before using baking soda, or test it in a inconspicious area.

Nomad56. Any comments on this??

"Feed the forum"

abfisch
  • nomad56nomad56 Member Posts: 134
    Mikem30-without a better idea of what the imperfection is, or looks like, it is hard to offer a solution. My brother's car had a corse/dry half-dollar sized imperfection in his paint(probably a bird...a BIG bird!). To the touch, it felt like the surface of sandstone. I rubbed it out with Aura's Presta 1500, where 1500 is the corseness/abrasive level of the product. ...better than new! Take it to a good "detail" shop. They should identify the type of damage and a solution. They may even rub one of the spots out, to show you. Otherwise, go to an automotive paint and paint care "supplier"- they'll carry more paint care products than you care to see, but will definitely have a product to treat it, if it can be rubbed out. Good luck!

petras-YES! It is an interference engine. -nomad56-
  • mikem30mikem30 Member Posts: 20
    To clarify-the paint imperfections consisted of small pin-head shaped bubbles or bumps on the driver's side of the trunk. I can't tell if they are in the base coat or the clear coat. It doesn't appear that the base coat is coming loose. What made me suspicious of the environmental damage excuse is that the problem on is on half of the trunk. It would seem that acid rain would fall evenly on the entire trunk! Thanks for any input.
  • jrainjrain Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2003 XL with white diamond pearl paint--from new, the front and rear bumpers did not match the body of the car--this has gotten much worse over the last 10 months--the bumpers are about 3 shades darker than the body--I can not stand it! Toyota offered to repaint the bumpes/blend in the fenders, but I do not want a repainted new car. I have seen many of these cars, and every one I see has this problem--is no one else complaining? Please contact me(email if you like) jrainieri@optonline.net if you have this issue. I am interested to know if I am just too picky or if others are also disgusted with this crummy paint job.
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Done properly, the paint on a repainted bumper will last and wear well. Our pearl white Avalon's rear bumper was repainted eight years ago and still looks like new.
    jrain:

Let me give you some knowledge about this subject that disturbs you. I don't blame you, but take a couple of breaths first and then read on.

As you probably now, many of todays cars have the bumper painted the same as the car. I really dislike this but that is the way they are coming, with the exceptions of BMW and SAAB, which still put a rubber strip around the painted surface itself.

The bumper composition, takes up the paint differently than the metal, and therefore, it reflects differently on different surfaces. Look at differenct color Avalons, at differenct angles. Take my color, an 02 Silver Spruce. The bumper does not exactly match the car, not because the paint is not the same, it is the same paint, but because the plastic takes the color up differently.

If you do not believe me, which is fine, go to an Auto Body Shop, a good one, and ask yourself. Even if they blend colors, they will tell you most of the time that it turns out a little different because of the base. In some colors, maybe yours, there is more contrast.

I hope this helps. Don't beat yourself up about this, as it is a good car, not great, but good car. Read the other forums to concentrate on some of its major flaws.

Good luck.

abfisch
  • jrainjrain Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info---it just does not make sense to me that the bumper fillers in my 83 Riviera match perfect, the bumpers on my old 92 and 96 camry matched perfect. We are living in a time where technology advances every day. I was just looking at images being beamed across the solar system from the rings of Saturn---but we can't match paint! Maybe I am asking for too much. Can't wait for my next car, not a Toyota, in Super White! :) ps I wish I understood how to post an image on this message
    jrain:

You are right. I am not sure what to tell you, but the info. above, I got from two different sources from Auto Body shops. If they would not put color coded bumpers, than they would not have such a problem, but most, not all of the manufacturers seem to think that color coded bumpers are the thing. I think it is just another way from the car to diminish in value as people bang into it parking and make it look weathered instead of a solid rubber bumper. Just IMO.

It is obvious you keep cars a very long time, something that spurs my interest. You probably pay cash too, something from a long time ago. Please let the forum know your secrets, as the Avalon is a very good car, especially when compared to others in its large car category and getting 200K plus miles on them would only add to its appeal. You probably have some tips on 'keeping a car forever" or at least for a long while.

Thanks.

"Feed the forum"

abfisch
  • sparky53sparky53 Member Posts: 13
    Ispraypainted the upper panel of the right rear door on my 04 xls.The color matched very good.I then applied two coats of clearcoat butI do not get a good shine.I did use polishing compound &maguires polish.Iam wondering if I compound it lightly &use laquer instead of clearcoat would I get a better shine.Any help would be appreciated.
  • rayrrayr Member Posts: 1
    During some sunlight conditions on my 2003 Avalon, the door glass looks as if it has been sandblasted. This happens when the sun is relatively low in the sky. The glass is smooth both inside and outside so the light scatter appears to be in the plastic laminate between the glass layers. Anyone else had this problem?
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    I have a 96 xls. The left side nozzle doesnt spray washer fluid. I can hear the motor and the fluid just oozes out from the bottom of the black unit thats attached to the bumper. Could it be the nozzle is blocked. How do i remove the unit from the bumper to inspect. The right side works fine.
  • barrygelbarrygel Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone found a place that will add body side moldings on the 05 avalon? One dealer said no, the other dealer said he can do a glue on type of molding.
  • bperrymanbperryman Member Posts: 15
    My wife accidentally closed the garage door on my new Avalon badly scratched the white bumper showing black undercoat. Can this be repaired easily or will I need to live with the marks or get a new bumper.
  • raleighwolfraleighwolf Member Posts: 40
    I have just had a similer scratch fixed...they did not have to replace the bumper....
  • bperrymanbperryman Member Posts: 15
    Thanks
    Suggest you check the bumper repair people dealers use. Around here they will come to you and the cost is reasonable, much less than a body shop. In addition, you can go to them and it can be done while you wait (about two hours).
  • sandydee1sandydee1 Member Posts: 26
    While backing out of my garage, I busted my driver's side mirror on my 2003 Avalon XL. The dealer replaced it for a hefty $330. The replacement is not an automatic dimming mirror and I am being blinded by the cars passing me on the left. I do have the interior auto-dimming mirror which was an option that came with the car. The passenger side mirror seems to be automatic dimming. So is it possible that my car came with an automatic dimming side mirror originally and that the dealer replaced it with the wrong kind?
    SANDYDEE1:

I recently replaced my mirror driver's side as a shopping cart got caught by the wind and busted it. Their is not a auto dimming side view mirror only rearview. I have a 02 XL. I bought the mirror for around $200. It was not easy to put in and took me about 1.5 hours. The entire door trim needs to come off to do it correctly, so that price while high is not too bad.

Toyota should provide folding collapsible mirrors in its flagship car, not the cheap ones that are on them. It has not changed in the new model, and that is a shame.

Good luck.

abfisch
    thats probably all part of cost cutting. The Older Toyotas (not avalons) had them and they were excellent.
  • sargeusmc57sargeusmc57 Member Posts: 12
    Disconnect hose where it attaches to the nozzle; activate washer and see if fluid squirts out of hose. If it does, get a straight pin and ream out the nozzle; it should work. If nothing squirts out of the hose; trace it back to the washer pump to make sure that it is connected there. Good luck.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    I washed my 5 week old baby a couple days ago and noticed 3 small paint chips. Errrrr...

Has any1 here used the 3M Scotchguard film that they sell for paint protection?

Thanks,

MikeS.
    Paint protection film: Works well and it isn't noticed unless you are close. I've seen it used on headlights too.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    I had this on my Lexus and it seemed to work well. The seems were noticeable, especially after waxing. I'm not quite sure yet about getting it on my Limited.

Expect to pay about $600 for protection of bumper, edge of the hood and fenders and also the back of mirrors. If you get it done, make certain that you have it installed by an experienced installer.
  • born2tranceborn2trance Member Posts: 2
    how do i get it closed? theres no fuse labeled sunroof so i dunno if its the fuse or if someone stickin their head out hit it and it got stuck. would anyone know ANY tricks to closing it? thnx

-born2trance

ps- supposed to rain rest of the week too :P
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    born2trance,
    When my '95 Avalon was just a year or three old...(don't remember just when, ) I had a problem with the sunroof opening all by itself, being closed by me, then opening by itself, over and over again. I found out that Toyota was aware of the problem, but since it wasn't safety-related, only fixed them if owners brought in the car with the complaint of self-opening. The long and short of it was, there WAS a technical service bulletin or a similar directive about the problem,. so I'd check with a dealer and ask about it. They should fix it for free, even after all this time, if it's the same equipment causing the problem. They have, in my opinion, a moral obligation to do the right thing, as they did on my insistance about the wind noise on my '95. Same story---there was a factory-authorized fix, but nobody was notified, 'cause not safety-related. They fixed mine with a whole extensive kit even though I then had over 100,000 miles on it, because I screamed bloody murder about it. Phil
    typically Sunroofs have a screw/nut that you can rotate to close the thing. If you open/remove the plastic where the controls are housed (tilt/slide/lights) there might be a nut that you can use a spanner to close off. I am purely guessing at this time.

i have a similar issue with my drivers side wndow. It will mysteriously stop working and after a few blows to the door it will work again. I will remoev it one of these days to take a lcoser look. luckily all 3 times they were stuck in the closed position. Its a 96 xls
  • born2tranceborn2trance Member Posts: 2
    yeah well theres no screw or seperate fuse for the sunroof. but yeah when i got my car the sunroof ALWAYS opened/closed by itself, like when u turn off the ignition, itll close, then open, then close halfway. i thought it was a security feature, but bnow that u mention ur dealio, ill take it in (after i go to this sunroof place) and request/force them to fix it for cheap/free
    You wrote:
    i have a similar issue with my drivers side wndow. It will mysteriously stop working and after a few blows to the door it will work again. I will remoev it one of these days to take a lcoser look. luckily all 3 times they were stuck in the closed position. Its a 96 xls

I have had both rear and the passenger front window do the same thing on my 96 XLS, though the driver's window continues to function properly. The rear windows only did it once each, but the passenger front window 'sticks' shut from time to time. At first a few 'blows to the door' would do the trick, but eventually that wouldn't work.

I can hear the motor 'click' when the window button is pressed. When I take the door panel off and tap on the window motor or drive guide the window will usually unstick. Sometimes I have to remove the drive guide from the door mount holes. Once the window is free it will work perfectly for some time before sticking shut again. Maybe sticking is the wrong word because the guides and tracks are clean. A better description is the motor has jammed the window full up. It is as if the 'up stop' for the motor has failed and the window is pressed against the top of the track too tightly.

A few months ago, after freeing the window again, I added additional weather strip material at the top of the door to keep the window from going up as far. The window still closes enough that there are no air or water leaks and so far the window continues to respond to the window switch.

Please post your fix for this problem.
    "A better description is the motor has jammed the window full up."

maybe this is the reason. So it has never failed in the open position. I was going to chk the wiring from the motor and maybe swap the motor with the one in the rear. now that the weather is warm i need to open/close the window without any worries.
  • hambonerhamboner Member Posts: 12
    I found some great allweather mats at Sam's Club. 19.00 for front and rear. The xm antenna is on the side of the trunk on my 05 Avalon and it is black. I think Toyota could have found a better place to put it.
    any idea's on where I can get a sunroof windvisor for my 05 Avalon? Thanks
    do you know exactly what was done to fix it. any trim or track that was changed. i'd rather not go on a fishing expedition to fix this. maybe some lubricant on the tracks.
  • tajahtajah Member Posts: 10
    Where are you located. My dealer in MS can get them. You should be able to order them from your dealer as well or from here & have it shipped.

I am considering one for my 05 Avalon as well. I haven't decided I actually need it. I've been riding with the sunroof open all week & there's just not much wind inside the car & the air noise is minimal as well.

What significant benefit will they have?

Tajah
    I'm in Georgia My TL had one and I loved it was thinking about getting it for my Avalon.
  • figaromdfigaromd Member Posts: 18
    in my 1998 Avalon. Has this ever happened to you people?? I can't believe it. The auto glass guy wants $75 to re-glue it. I tried Super Glue but didn't work. Can anyone help??

Thanks!
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Believe It Or Not:
    My '03 XL went over a bump...and the rear view mirror fell off. The bracket broke and, of course, it is all made as one piece. Try $180. DIY. This is the mirror with the compass and the auto-dimming feature. The mounting plate stayed on the windshield, the problem was the bracket. And this is a little different from your situation. But someone here knows how to fix your problem. These things happen.
  • bigsambigsam Member Posts: 4
    Auto supply stores sell a special glue for this purpose, just ask for rear view mirror glue (no joke), comes in a little tube. Follow directions (make sure both parts are CLEAN) and you should have no trouble. The glue is only a couple bucks.
  • eelpeelp Member Posts: 6
    I must replace my windshield on my 2003 XLS. As you know the car have rain sensing wipers. I can see that the sensor, it is glued to the windshield on the inside. My question is... is this a special windshield, or will any Avalon windshield do. While most shops says any will do. I got one shop saying I need a rain sensing windshield. Thanks for your time :confuse:
  • felix7felix7 Member Posts: 1
    i have a late 90's avalon, 97 i think. anyway the inside of the headlight covers are very dirty and so the headlights do not shine very bright on the road. i was wondering if anyone knows how or if the covers can be removed to be cleaned. any input would be well appreciated.
  • zmanjohnzmanjohn Member Posts: 6
    I recently bought a 1996 Avy and it is really beautiful. Currently it only has two very small stone chips in the leading edge of the hood. Since I do a lot of highway miles and sometimes country miles it is likely that I will develop more chips. Does anyone know where I can get a Lexan type of bug deflector for my Avy? I have spent many hours looking online, but they do not offer anything for Avy's. I have had one on my mini van for years and it helps like you would not believe.

Try finding one for a 96 Camry, these cars are a lot alike.

I honestly had a lot of trouble telling my 96 xl from a 96 Camry. I also found that a lot of parts from the Camry interchange with the Avalons.

MikeS.
    i always thought my 96 xls looked like a LS400. :D not a camry :cry:
    You were squinting too hard :)
  • mkulinamkulina Member Posts: 8
    Perhaps you could use this material to protect the edge of the hood:

http://www.invinca-shield.com/main.htm

Regards,
    Mike
    140k miles, not much paint left to protect up there now...
  • xlsavxlsav Member Posts: 2
    For a 2005 Avalon XLS - Has anyone installed door and/or bumper guards? If so, how do you think they look. I have a mirage blue XLS - I'm guessing they would look better than parking lot dings. Any opinion or advice out there?
  • billwilk21billwilk21 Member Posts: 1
    How to replace broken outside rear view mirror?
  • bbraddockbbraddock Member Posts: 46
    Had the windows tinted and a nice silver pin stripe, but it needs a new grill. Anybody have any ideas, I'm at a dead end?!?!?!? I nice wire mesh or black grill would add a lot in my opinion. Still no k&N filter either, darn.
  • jt7jt7 Member Posts: 6
    Hi gang,

Have any of you all applied this product to your Avalon? I just put 2 coats of Z2 and 1 Coat of Z5 to my new Desert Sand Avalon Ltd. and this thing looks awesome- the car looks wet permanently. It looks so good I am afraid to pull it out of the driveway and get it dirty.

Anyone else used this liquid gold yet?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Just an FYI...

We have quite a few Zainoites that hang out in this discussion:

Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences