Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    As it should be. The 4.6L in the Expedition is probably what lends toward the "sluggish" comments seen here sometimes. It's not enough engine, IMO. The 5.4L in any valve configuration seems to be plenty for me though.

The 05 should have a 6 speed automatic trans as well......
  • jeff88jeff88 Member Posts: 94
    Agreed, the '05 with a 5 or 6 speed would be excellent, particularly changing the gearing around 1st to 3rd. What is 4th today could still remain top end and give plenty of balance between economy and pull at highway speeds. It tracks rpms nicely at 75 to 80 mph.

Adding additional gears at the lower end will improve around-town economy and for hilly terrains, smooth out the power for uphill. Would also like to see the tranny have "grade logic" particularly for the downhill/descent gearing so the truck will hold a lower gear longer before upshifting. With trucks this size, it's a wonderful brake pad saver. Ford is brining out a 7 sp in '06 for some vehicles as well as cvt in '05. They seem to be getting the message that tranys have as much to do with performance as engines.

Lastly, I would welcome a modern diesel engine in the expy -- somethig quieter and cleaner than the ones in the 250/350 series. A 6 litre diesel, grade logic and 5-6sp would be outstanding improvements. Imagine 16 to 24 mpg with fuel 10% cheaper than 87 octane. (We are averaging 14.5 to 19 city/highway, worst and best.)

BTW, am not complaining, 8k miles on our '04 eb and we are still loving it.
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    04 EB Expy has 3500 miles. On a 600 mile Highway trip. doing 62-72 mph averaged 17.9 mpg.

Averaged 18 with a/c off and ended up at 17.9 with a/c on

City averages anywhere between 11-13, depending on traffic
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Man, I would be all over that diesel too! Problem is the weight. The half ton truck won't support it, you need the 3/4 ton truck for the weight of the diesel.
  • wkohlerwkohler Member Posts: 74
    I hope you're not relying totally on the mileage readout on the information center. I found that to be about 1 to 1.5 MPG on the high side. If you are, you're probably getting about 16.9 or so on a trip.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Any photos of the '05 Expi new interior (dash)?
  • jeff88jeff88 Member Posts: 94
    That's why I mentione the word "modern" when describing the deisel engine. Some of the newer ones are on par with gas engines in the weight dept. yeah, the ones in the 250/350 would crust the front end of an expy or a 150.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I was at a local dealer today, and found one '05 Expi sitting there between many '04's.

Looked inside the new dash - what should I say - a big NO-NO for my tastes. 2 big round gauges for speedometer and tachometer - but the needles are really small! and on the bottom part of each gauge there are sitting 2 additional tiny gauges (4 in total) for fuel and other info. The fonts (typefaces) are very funny to my eyes. In between sits the message center, which is not bad.

Besides that nothing special changes. The big 4 vents with chrome surroundings are tweaked a little to look similar to the new F-150 vents.

IMO there should always be separate meters for each individual gauge. The previous ('04 Expi wasn't too bad.
  • fx4fx4 Member Posts: 72
    Agree with 1401 about the new gauges. Prefer speedo right in center and let tach, etc. find a spot. Haven't seen new dash with key on, but seems like 2005 is trade down much like changes of
    many models of Fords long years ago.

Fuel mileage-both my 2003 and 2004 Expeditions had/have a 2.5% odometer error. Actual miles traveled are 2.5% more than odometer indicates based on interstate mile makers. That's a lot of extra warranty. Ha! Checked my odometers against mile markers in several different states in 10 mile increments-same 2.5% slow reading in all cases. Thus actual fuel mileage must be adjusted upward 2.5%. In my case anyway.

Vents in dash--worse than ever. Left one reflects boldly in left outside rear view mirror whether sort of satin or the new chrome ones. Gaudy to worse?

Hey NVBANKER. Agree 5.4L does well in 2V, 3V, 4V. 5.4L 2V 260 hp a lot stronger all around in 2004 than 260 hp in ligher weight 2000 5.4L 4wd Expedition. Final grear ratios near the same due to 16" tires on 2000. Could it be tranny, or new 5W-20 oil, better Cf drag, etc in 2004? 4R75W tranny unlocks nicely on grade to give a bit of extra performance. Eager to try 5.4L 3V in 2005 Expedition. 5.4L 3V not that impressive in demo of 2004 F-150 4wd. However, power (and fuel mileage) starts to come on strong after 5,000-10,000 in some of the new engines.

Update--liking the 2004 20.5-1 steering ratio in NBX model, versus 17-1 in 2003 FX4. 2004 NBX has extra driving comfort versus 2003 FX4 not accounted for by new 4R75W transmission. Must be steering ratio. May be slightly different spring rate between 2003 FX4 and 2004 NBX. Don't know? Might be the black paint. ha!
    Did you guys see post on Blue Oval News recently?
    GM owners hot all over USA. My brother's 2001 GMC
    Yukon XL with 5.3 had slap or peck even new. Vehicle stolen early on by nut who later was taunting THP with it. Stuffed his weed down his throat and made a run for it. Brother's later 2003 Suburban doesn't seem to have the piston slap in 5.3L engine. Learned GM redesigned piston and ring land in late 2002.

Friend had 6.0 or 8.1 gas in 2500 or 3500 truck that sounded like a "gas diesel" right off the showroom. Dealer replaced engine immediately to satisfy loyal high income customer.

Attorneys are trying to work GM case into class action status all around USA.
    I own a 2001 suburban with the 5.3L (since new) and do have a little piston slap on start up for a few seconds. Vehicle has almost 70M miles on it and no problems. Still as strong as ever. My wife drives an 03 Expedition with the 5.4L. Much prefer the "drivability" of the suburban. Suburban has more "pick up" and better gas mileage. So, we're not ALL hot over a little piston slap.
    A guy in Florida was so "hot" about the piston slap problem that he started www.pistonslap.com. Ha!

Your view generally reflects what GM is saying according to some accounts I have read. However, my brother Boyd was major aggravated with the noise in his 2001 GMC Yukon XL given the premium price dealers were getting then. Any odd noise just seems to immediately demand the dealers' and automakers' attention no matter the source or whether the function of the vehicle is impacted.

I too like the Suburban and Tahoe cabs or bodies, wheelbases, turning radius, etc. However, three of my brothers and a nephew who have late model 1500 series Suburban and/or Yukon XL report an unpleasant feel in the rear end handling of the late models versus the earlier leaf spring Suburbans in 1500 series. That's four out of four very experienced owners picking up on something definite they don't like about the late model GM handling. No comparison to new IRS Ford engineering.

I tried out the 5.3L in Yukon and found the brakes to be very mushy compared to the 2003 Expedition FX4 that I owned at the time. The Yukon was brand new and the brakes probably would have gotten better with some wear. Don't know, but believe GM has some catching up to do?
    Ford does squander the larger, better brakes of the 2003 and up Expy models by having excessive vehicle weights versus the more reasonable weights of the late model GM products.

As mentioned in my earlier post, my 2004 NBX is much more comfortable to drive than the 2003 FX4. The 4R70W tranny in the FX4, 5.4L is suspect changing down when turning corners.

Finally, the GM prices and dealer cost %. The semi-sorry Ford Expeditions beat the over priced GM products (at least off the new show room). Try to buy a Tahoe with off-road package lately!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "If you drive one of the listed vehicles, make a date with your dealer to get this replacement."

Ford to Recall Trucks and SUVs (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • ford_ownerford_owner Member Posts: 23
    I have had both the 5.4L and now currently the 4.6 in the EB Expedition. I dont see much difference in power, only maybe lose a little of the towing capacity with the 4.6L. If your not towing alot, then the 4.6L does fine. Also just wanted to say that I installed a K & N Washable air filter in the 4.6L and man talk about a difference in power and acceleration! These kits as you may have heard are designed to draw more air into the engine , thereby breathing more efficiently and increasing both HP and mileage. I have notice a difference in acceleration and am getting an increase of around 1.6 to 2.2 MPG city/highway respectively. in my opinion, but take care all
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Was side impact testing ever done on the 2004 or 2005 Expedition? I can't find any side impact test results for any Expedition models.
  • dontshopthewaldontshopthewal Member Posts: 49
    I have one of the affected 2000 Ford Expedition's with the Cruise Control recall. My Expedtion has 60,000 miles currently. What exactly are the dangers of the malfunctioning cruise control?

Thank you.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Defective speed-control switches can overheat and result in fires under the hood.

Inside Line

Steve, Host
  • jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    We have had our 04 EB since Christmas and we love it. My wife traded in her 2000 Jeep GC Limited and has been very impressed with Exp. When driving she dosen't feel like she is driving a big truck and the ride is great. We currently only have one child and he loves it also because he can climb into/out of his car seat easier and I love the extra space the exp gives us (or other car is an Audi A4). We have 5.4L our dealership didn't have many choice left and gave us a great deal! Our gas mileage is 1 Mpg better than our Jeep... we took this on our trip to Florida (9 Hours one way) and it was great comforatable ride for all. I perfer it over the chevy products - I had a 2003 chevy avalanche for a year and perfer the Ford to the chevy in all aspects. I would highly recomend this SUV to anyone looking for an SUV.

Good Luck!
  • dsj123dsj123 Member Posts: 7
    We also have an 04 EB, since Thanksgiving. We love it and it's the perfect size for our 3 boys. It drives great and the folding 3rd row seat is very convenient! We were also looking at the Suburban but I think (hope) we made the right decision. I just wish the gas mileage was a little better.
    I use to have a 2003 chevy avalanche which is basically a subarban - and this rides better and feels smaller than our Jeep GC. Also, the ride is a lot smother becuase of the back end setup. I think gas milage between the chevy and ford will be about the same - I was getting 16.5 in my avalanche, 14.1 in the Jeep (Wife) and she now gets 15.4 in the Exp and we have the 5.4 L. Hope you keep enjoying your Exp.
    Just a word of caution here. I hope you're not using the on-board computer to rely on you're mileage for the Expedition. Most of us have found that feature to read about 1 to 1 1/2 MPG on the high side. In other words, if you're getting 15.4 you may only be getting 14.4 or less. Make sure you figure your own gas mileage a few times and not rely on the computer. I've figured mine enough that I always subtract 1.5 MPG when using the MPG readout.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    I just rec'd my recall letter for the speed control deactivation switch problem- Ford is doing a 2-step fix as the new switches won't be avail. till April or May. I hate to blow half a day at a dealer to (probably)just disconnect a wire- has anyone done the first step, disconnecting the electrical connector on the speed control switch? If so, could you give the location of the switch and wire color(s)? Or, are there any websites with diagrams/info? Thanks!
  • kimronkimron Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 EB EXPY. The amp and/or subwoofer stopped working. I am no electronics genius, but I have found out that power is getting to the plug on the amp. Can anyone tell me what size amp I have? I have the factory installed Mach 1 system. The system sounded great when everything was working correctly. I don't need some teeth rattling system, I just want something comparable to what I have.
  • jg88jg88 Member Posts: 59
    We have an '04 Expy EB that we really have enjoyed thus far. This week, on a biz trip, Hertz upgraded me to an '05 Expy XLT with the new engine. Was looking forward to comparing the two and was surprised that there appeared to be no difference at all. Both were smooth, powerful; hill climbing appeared to be the same as well as acceleration and passing power. MPG was slightly less on the '05 but that is easily explained by the hilly terrain in MD and W PA v the flat area of TX where we reside.
  • dsj123dsj123 Member Posts: 7
    I'm glad to hear there appeared to be no difference between the engines. We also have been happy with the '04 EB Expy. However when we we bought it in November, I was a little concerned about the difference between the two engines. Thanks for posting this info.
  • vincebvinceb Member Posts: 1
    Thinking of buying an '05 Kings Ranch Expo. Call me old fashion, I think limited slip is a must. What are the real benefits of AdvanceTrac over limited slip?

Does it really help? This will be my wife's vehicle and I'll drive on road trips (tahoe- snow skiing, etc) I don't expect to do much/any hard core off roading. More of the soccer mom driving in SF bay area (normally good weather) and some snow bound trips.

On a seperate note the King's ranch doesn't offer cooled/heated seats? Are the climate controlled seats a good enough reason to stick with the Eddie Bauer?

Thanks for feedback!
    Having owned two expeditions, one with advance trac and the other with the limited slip, I'm not real sure what to tell you. The advance trac version has come in handy during highway driving, but I don't really care for it during acceleration from a stop in snowy/icy weather. Of course you can turn a portion of the advance trac off for those occasions. What I don't like about it during acceleration from a stop is the fact that it reduces engine rpm. I believe if you press the advance trac button once it disconnets the engine management portion of advance trac and should be used in the event you get stuck. Having said all that, I suppose I'd lean towards the advance trac option. I'm not sure how much rain you get there (it's seems you're getting a lot now) but the advance trac may come in handy for those long time between rain events when the roads get really slick. As for the heated/cooled seats, I wouldn't waste my money. The cooling portion don't work that well anyway (my opinion). If I had it to do over again, I'd opt for a fairly well loaded XLT version with the cloth seats. I'm not a real big fan of leather.
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    I have the Advance Trac and have had no problems on my 04 Expedition. As for the Climate Control seats, the heat works well in the winter. While the cooled seats work they are not meant to freeze your butt off. There is an element inside that cools your butt and back. It feels like you have wet underware on in the summer. No cranky BUTT here. I think it does the job by circulating air and not having you stick to the leather interior. I like it...........
  • jg88jg88 Member Posts: 59
    Our '04 expy eb has them and in Houston, TX, they are very nice to have.

Is it possible to have limited slip and advance trac? We have the trailer tow package and advance trac, thought limited slip came with the towing package.
    As far as I know, you can not get limited slip and advance trac. One or the other.
    You were right - I calculated the MPG on our recent trip to Florida and it was off about 1 MPG - That said I don't think many of us buy these for there stellar MPG...

Why would the computer compute a different MPG?
    Not sure why; could be set up that way to make you happy. Could be that the program isn't the most accurate; any number of reasons come to mind. A friend of mine has a 04 model cadillac that has this feature and his trip computer is dead on the money. I didn't say too much at first, but I did take an extended trip in the vehicle and it was right on. And...........you're right; if I was really worried about gas mileage I'd by a Prius.
  • expoman2expoman2 Member Posts: 1
    how do i drop the front of my 2000 xlt expedition and how far can i go, torsion bar in front
  • snowmannsnowmann Member Posts: 3
    my sub-woofer has quit working. the bass is turned all the way up but i don't have much bass in the other four speakers. i put a volt meter on the connection coming in to the amp. near the back seat. it has juice. but the sub-woofer is not working. does this mean that the amp has gone out?
  • mbjbmbjb Member Posts: 39
    Hey Snowmann,

It sounds like your amp is fried. Did you test to see if power is leaving the amp? I would bet that is your problem.
  • polarblueicepolarblueice Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2000 EB Expedition. I know nothing about the various models of Expeditions, but this one has a reverse sensing system and a load level suspension. When you start it, just after putting into gear, an air compressor motor sounds for 10 to 20 seconds. Occasionally when driving it will come on too. Seems to work well; I've noticed it generally raises the vehicle maybe 1 to 3 inches. Any ideas if this suspension system is prone to failures and costly repairs? I got a very good price on this vehicle, perfect condition interior & exterior. Another question: how is gas mileage (km) compared to the F150? I have the 5.4L Triton V8. Thanks.
    Start putting money aside for when it breaks; it's pricey. I purposely sought a Expy w/out air suspension, you really don't need it on that vehicle, I tow an 18' boat w/mine and the suspension doesn't sag at all, even with a load of people (I have 3rd seat as well). Otherwise, our 2000 XLT has been very reliable, has 41K, bought it w/24K, no real problems other than a finicky rear wiper, and the current speed control switch recall (which you should do asap, see previous posts on this thread). We get 15 mpg hwy w/the 4.6 (have the K&N air filter), 12/13 around town. Best of luck w/yours- from what I read about some of the new ones the old design is built better.
  • polarblueicepolarblueice Member Posts: 2
    Fitguy, thanks for the reply. Yes, they already did the speed control recall. Yes, I'll put money aside, because I think I'll be replacing breaks sooner than average on this heavy truck. Generally, I don't like gadgetry--they are usually opportunities for things to go wrong--I would never have chosen air suspension, but buying this used, I just took it "as is" and it came with it. Regards.
  • edcpedcp Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2004 E/B EXPY. It is Aspen green and the lower parts are a Tan-ish color.

I need to Know the name of the color as it is not on the door pillar card.

All I find is P5=Aspen Green.
    Is It Pueblo Gold , Gold Ash Met.,Arizona Beige?

I need a little for touch up.
    And dose the truck come with anything else that say E/B then the name plate on back?

Ed
  • jerryrunjerryrun Member Posts: 1
    I have seamed to have blown the fuse that monitors the center console rear aux cigerette type power hole. Where is that fuse... I have checked all fuses under the dash.

It is a 1998 eddie bauer. Please help... my daughter wants her portable dvd player working again.

Jerry
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    It is Arizona Beige. I remember it from my invoice.
    Thanks,

I will check it out.

ED
  • snowmannsnowmann Member Posts: 3
    i have power coming into the amp. but none coming out to the subwoofer. But, does the amp. serve the other speakers as well
    Anyone know what the box under the Rear view mirror
    is for?
    Looks like there is some kind of switch on it!

Ed
    I have a 2004 Expedition NBX (4wd with 260 hp 5.4L). This engine does well in my NBX, but is not nearly as strong as the 5.4l 3V when comparing the engines wide open, pushed to the limit. I drove a 2005 E/B 4wd 5.4L 3v for several days and found that it would reach 83mph up a well known steep grade to a certain mile marker versus 80 to 81 mph for my above 2004 NBX.

When pushed all out, the 5.4L 3V clearly out shines the older 5.4L 2V when hp matters. However not much difference in towing torque in real world.

Same goes for my experiences with two or three Enterprise 2004 F-150s with 5.4L 3V. More power
    when pushed to the limit. Gas mileage slightly lower than expected and hovered around 16-17 mpg for mostly easy suburban driving for all the 2004 F150 5.4L 3V rental units whether 2wd or 4wd.
  • expedition322expedition322 Member Posts: 3
    I to have just been robbed to get an alignment done on my 2002 Expedition. I was charged $380.00. The thing that really gets me is that they say this is covered by the normal 36 month 36k mile warranty. Well my millage at the time I took it in was 36,900. The thing that really got me was when I called the dealer to ask how much the cost of the alignment would be I was told $60. Nothing was said that there could be a need for parts to be installed to get the thing into specs. At this point I was being charged the $60.00 for the alignment whether or not I approved the other charges. I just spent $900. on new tires so I didn't have a choice. I think as many people as possible need to complain about this to Ford. I have already written my letter.
    Before going off on FoMoCo, you need to realize: dealers quote a price for a basic job (FE align or brakes, for example) but until the vehicle is brought in and looked at, no one can know what other parts may be worn and need to be replaced. Rotors warp, ball joints wear out, etc. You should always require a shop (dealer or otherwise) to call you if additional work or parts are needed, with the price. If it is too much or seems out of line, you have the right to have your car put back together, be charged for inspection time, and go elsewhere.
    I'm not a dealer or service guy; this is just standard procedure and everyone should be aware of it.
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    I think what he is talking about is the fact that the expy doesn't have adjustability in one of the required planes (can't remember if it is caster, camber or toe-in), but there is definately one that can't be adjusted without ordering a kit from the factory. It is done that way on Explorers too. If you run into the alignment problem under warranty many dealers will put the kits on. If it happens out of warranty you are on your own. The fact that the dealer didn't handle it at 36.9 is a differnet issue. Either the person is not a repeat customer and has no customer loyalty "brownie points" or they could have rubbed someone the wrong way which led them to not be so helpful. I guess the third option is that the dealership is in fact not that helpful. I am freinds with a LM dealer principle and from discussions with him, dealers have lots of lattitude to help in situations like this but it is at their discretion. A lot of their interaction they base on the loyalty of the customer too. If you are bringing it to them for service after buying it in the next town, they aren't going to bend over backwards to help you out. I guess we need more info to really try to understand it. I do agree that the dealer should have called before taking the liberty of doing the work.
  • san_diegosan_diego Member Posts: 1
    Sometimes I will hear a very low rumbling noise in my Ford 01 Expedition before I even start the vehicle. I will get in it, be doing something before taking off, and I will hear a low rumbling noise. What is this? Thanks.
  • john57john57 Member Posts: 1
    1999 front driver's window does not go up or down. A clicking from the relay is heard and felt. Switched identical relays from fuse box and still no go. Checked for continuity by operating the switches and the continuity was good. Are there problems with these window motors? If so, best place to get a replacement?

Thanks