Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Navigation System

Comments

• mrsincere7mrsincere7 Member Posts: 40
    Quick question???? If you end up purchasing a Nav ECU on Ebay and installing it in your car......would you still go to the secret menu from time to time to do the overide function? Once I have my Nav working again, I might go to that menu to do the overide, but I will not even think of exploring any further. I've learned my lesson.
  • jdre86jdre86 Member Posts: 30
    I'll more than likely do the override, but I won't be fooling with any other menus. I tried to keep the Nav ECU on eBay my little secret until I bought one because I'm still dealing with the dealership. I wish their was a way to message someone privately on here, but its alright. I just didn't want you to buy a portable unit if you knew that the OEM unit was available. Hopefully there is one still there if they decide not to replace it under warranty. Let me know how everything works out for you as far as your new Nav unit goes.
    Thanks for the consideration. Both items have already been shipped. I should be receiving them in a few days. I'll get back to you.
    Hey jdre86......I received both the Toyota Nav Ecu and the Garmin Nuvi 660 today 11/7. Of course you know I had to install the Toyota Nav Ecu 1st. I put in the Nav DVD from the old unit, and powered up. I got the agree screen, and the rest was business as usual. The Garmin is on charge right now. And since the owners manual is on a cd, I'll wait til tomorrow to fool with it. Right now, I'll just bask in the comfort of knowing my Avalon's Nav is working again. I think I'll wait a few days or until I have a need before I visit the secret menu to override the system. :shades:
    As of 1:45 pm today, I've taken my Garmin out for a test. It is loaded with features and functions. I've paired my cell phone to the Garmin, and also enabled the FM transmitter to work with my car stereo.

The clarity during calls is pretty good. I can hear and be heard quite clearly. The garmin automatically captured my cell phones phonebook, and all recent calling activity. That way I can place calls or redial numbers with ease, and without touching the phone. I like the touch screen, and that I can voice dial, and if necessary input any pin#'s on the touch screen.

This gadget has a lot of ways to customize it's usage. And it's portability is invaluable. It will be a great asset in the Avalon even though it's primarily for my car that doesnt have a GPS system. Whats your status with the reps at Toyota or your next move in regards to getting another ECU on your own???
  • mikee2399mikee2399 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, does anyone have experience with this company's product? http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-models-gnet_rgb_toylex.asp?Car=Toyota%20Avalo- n

I'm very excited about the prospect that this unit will allow me to utilize the built-in NAV screen for something really useful in my opinion ... video! However, I do not find any reference on this topic so I'd appreciate any information about this product's performance etc...

Thanks.
    Interesting product. For me though.....if I wanted video.....like for a DVD player or TV tuner......it's easier and cheaper for me to just use a portable unit that does one or both functions. Something I already have. The back-up camera feature? Now thats another story. But even there......I really dont have much need for a back-up camera hookup.
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    yes it is on toyota nation...
  • jrjhmjrjhm Member Posts: 26
    I sit here amazed at some people who go nuts because a message comes up and you have to push a button to use the Nav system. It seems to me that this could indicate just how spoiled we can get. The car automatically unlocks the doors, turns on interior and exterior lights for you and sets the drivers seats and mirrors. You push a button to start the car and you complain about pushing another button to use a system that will guide you to where your going, show you where to find all kinds of restaurants, gas stations, historical places, hotels, golf courses and just about any thing else using a nice female voice?? I remember when my father used to use smudge pots and a hand crank in order to get his car started to get to work. I feel blessed to have all these wonderful conveniences at the push of a button.
  • acv999acv999 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I'm new to this forum and my searches have landed me here. This is my predicament: I bought an 06 Avalon XLS (brand new) about 6 months ago as a daily client car, but have since bought an S550 Benz. I ended up giving the car to my parents. They are much older drivers and I have considered that the Nav would be the best thing for them. The car did not come with NAV, and I have followed suit and found the NAV ECU on Ebay (as mentioned here). My question is this: Can I order this ECU and have it installed by an audio shop and my parents will then be able to enjoy the benefits of NAV? What all else do you think that I might need in order to get the thing working. There is already a display screen, standard radio/cd changer...perhaps wiring? Please assist in any way possible, and I thank you all in advance...
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Personally, I dont know what your course of action could be. But I would 1st check with a knowledgeable Toyota rep to find out if your car is "Nav ready" ( pre-wired ). Maybe the Nav wiring is already there, maybe it isnt?
    Then consider the type of screen you have? Is it touch screen compatible, and will it support Nav commands? Or will you have a joystick? Even the joystick has to be integrated with the display in order to command the ECU in the trunk.

I'd say, find out what needs to be done to add Navigation to the car. That info might give you some insight into whether an audio shop could do the installation instead of relying on Toyota. You might find that installing a Toyota Nav in that car is more problematic for you, than it's worth.

But if you decide not to put the Toyota Nav in, and still want Nagigation.....I recommend the portable Garmin Nuvi 660. It has a lot more features than my Toyota's Nav. And it's maps are a lot more accurate and detailed.

One thing I like about my Garmin, is that it shows the name of each street as you approach. When the Garmin has been programmed for a destination, it announces the name of the street, road, etc at each turn. The points of interest info ( food, atms, banks,shopping centers etc ) is very detailed. You get their names and addresses, the distance to these places.

Hope things work out for you.
  • petemuscipetemusci Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the Nav System selecting the wrong route. In most cases, it is at least 20% worse. I have tried to use the Edit route, add a preferred road, (even two preferred roads; max # allowed) but it does not work. Have you found a solution?
  • acv999acv999 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for such an informed and clear response, and suggestions. The reason I'm pushing so hard for the Toyota NAV unit is the integrated feel of the whole thing, that and the fact that an aftermarket unit will be mounted to the windshield, thereby obstructing the view as well as warrant unwanted attention from would be thieves. I have personally known friends who have had their Garmins, Tomtoms, etc. stolen out of their cars. More so, in my experience and knowledge, than integrated units. I do own the Tomtom Go 910 and think it is great for moving from car to car, but for the parents who are much older and much less technically inclined, I would just prefer something in the dash board. Perhaps I'll check with Crutchfield and see if Pioneer or Eclipse makes a unit that can be installed in the dash.

Again, thank you so much for the heads up...Saved me from bying the ECU and then not being able to use it. Have a great weekend.
  • rbnski71rbnski71 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, the other day I was playing with my new Toyota Navigation system. In the process I changed my preference from Miles to Kilometers. and I dont know how to change it back, can anyone assist me out there> Thanks
    Hi there. I'm not sure if you were responding to me or petemusci? My last message to you, I forgot to sign in ( my handle doesnt show )when I sent that message. If you are responding to me? You're welcome. ;)

I agree with you regarding the "feel" of an integrated unit. I'm sure thats why I bought the Toyota Nav off of Ebay, even though I already sprung for a portable unit too. I hope your research will help you find a workable solution. If there is an in-dash unit out there, could you share what you find here? Thanks, and good luck.
    I have an 03' Avalon using a joystick. I usually press the menu button on my joystick. Then I find the "setup" button on the screen, and then I scroll down ( using my joystick ) until I see the option to select miles or kilometers. I highlight miles, and I select it with the enter button ( on my joystick ). If there are any other preferences in the setup screen to change, you can make those changes too. When done, click ok.
  • quilterquilter Member Posts: 9
    I, too, have an '05 with same. The parts people at the dealer know NOTHING about when an updated DVD will be available. In reading many other postings, I have had the same problems with the system not knowing the fastest route, OR even the most direct ones. I think the version on the '05 is a 2004 edition...much too old now!
  • regisregis Member Posts: 94
    "recommend the the portable Garmin Nuvi 660"
    I just replaced my old garmin c330 with the new Garmin c550 and am very impressed with the new features in this unit, especially the Bluetooth, mp3 player and jpg photo viewer. But the most important enhancement is the sunlight-readable, anti-glare display that is even readable in bright sunlight. It's easily transportable for multivehicle use and comes with an easy-to-install windshield mount. I just detach the unit from my windshield and lock it in my glove box or take it with me to deter thieves.

I paid $669 Canadian (GPS City) which is about $598 US.

I've loaded my mp3 music unto a SD card and insert it into the slot but I want to play these through my 06 Avalon speakers. I have a little used cassette deck in my Avalon and understand that there is an adaptor that can be inserted in my tape deck that can play my Garmin's audio through my Avalon speakers. Has anyone have experience with this and have any advice?
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I have a little used cassette deck in my Avalon and understand that there is an adaptor that can be inserted in my tape deck that can play my Garmin's audio through my Avalon speakers. Has anyone have experience with this and have any advice?

Your Garmin c550 should have a headphone jack on the side, right? Most of the time, the cassette adapter you are refering to is for a portable CD player that has a headphone jack, and someone wants to listen to the player through their speakers in the car instead of the headphones.

As long as you have the same headphone jack on your Garmin as a portable CD player, you can use the cassette adapter the same way. Just remember to set your car stereo to TAPE DECK mode in order to hear the music/sound from the Garmin or portable CD player ).

Most retail electronic stores and even some "dollar discount" stores sells these cassette adapters. Anywhere from $5 to maybe $20??? Sometimes you can buy a portable CD player that has a car kit. In the car kit, will usually be a cassette adapter and a power cord for the cigarette lighter. Hope this helps.
  • justathought1justathought1 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like the firmware has been wiped out. I think some where there was a comment about Toyota releasing an update DVD that reprogramed the NAV system with a newer version. Sounds like that DVD would have uploaded a new version of firmware. Don't know if Toyota dealer would have any info on that upgrade DVD or not. I think it was back in 2001 or 2002. Really don't remember the whole story. Sounds like the unit is waiting for firmware changes tho!
  • bogeygolferbogeygolfer Member Posts: 17
    Hi...

I have a 2005 Avalon with Navigation....

I was wondering if there a way to display the arrival time for a trip instead of the default "trip duration X hr Y min"

I find that displaying arrival time is better information than duration. (Of course, there is always a danger of speeding to see if one can arrive earlier than the estimated time :P )

TIA.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    I don't think so. This feature showed up in Toyota navigation systems only last year.
  • tch4thtch4th Member Posts: 1
    I have only had my '07 limited for about 2 weeks and I think I hit a button that I didn't mean to. I thought when I got the car, while the navigation screen was on, the arrow was moving along the route (but I could be wrong). Now, the arrow in the little circle is stationary at the bottom of the screen in the middle, while the map moves, twists, turns, etc. as I drive. I'm wondering If I hit something to cause this, and if so, how do I get it back to where the arrow is moving and not the map??? I appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!
  • samskssamsks Member Posts: 12
    Do you think you may have originally had it in North up mode, and now it is in Heading up mode? In heading up mode, the map twists and turns so that what you see straight ahead out your windshield is what you see at the top of the map. In North up mode, it is just like a paper map you are holding in your hand, North is up, even if you are driving South. Try hitting the voice command button on your steering wheel and saying "MAP ORIENTATION". This will change it back and forth. Note the compass row on the display, this will tell you which mode you are in. Good luck.
    You can also toggle the orientation by pressing the direction indicator in the upper left corner of the map screen.
    My 2006 avalon does not have touch screen. I find the voice commands for this to be easier than using the joystick and buttons.
  • tkaztkaz Member Posts: 69
    I have a 2005 Sienna and a 2006 Avalon, both with NAV's. I have a few questions about upgrading. Can I buy one DVD that would work with both cars? The Sienna is 4.2 and the Avalon is 5.1. Is the DVD left in the Nav unit or is the DVD used for programming then taken out? Does it matter what generation the NAV is for upgrading? How do I determine the generation?
    I have seen a few DVD's on ebay, mostly for Lexus but some of the Toyota models are lsited too. But they mention certain generations for compatability.

I had talked to my dealer, but that didn't get me any useful info. They said I had the latest update in both cars. I thought 6.1 is ther latest?
    Thanks for any feedback.
    Tony
    No, they are different systems so they require different disks. I thought 6.1 is the latest also.
  • tkaztkaz Member Posts: 69
    Thanks for the info. How do I find out the part number or other info I need to get the correct disks for each car?
  • jjlimitedjjlimited Member Posts: 1
    If you push the big MAP button on the controller, it should bring the circle back onto your route. Hope that helps.
  • lbs1lbs1 Member Posts: 16
    you sound smart so I'm going to ask you a question. The only way to set a destination while traveling is to voice activate "previous destination" and then you are asked to select one of the 20 previously written in destinations (not to be confused with preset destinations) When I give the number of the previous destination I want and confirm it with a "yes" I get a totally different number/destination. Anybody else have this problem or have any thoughts?
    Thanks, not sure how smart, but I do enjoy the Avy (2006). I have the same issue, and my dealer told me it was a bug and nothing they could do. It doesn't bother me too much because I don't use the previous destination feature often. But when I do, I use the voice command to get to the "Previous Destination" screen, then I use the joystick to choose the destination I want. If you use voice commands "Number 4" for example, then you will not get Number 4, you will get some other destination from the list.
    Number 4 gives you preset number four, not previous destination number four.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    OK - the NAV is working, daylight brightness is fine. Go into a tunnel or the sun sets, turn on the lights, it would dim and change colors. Now it stays bright as in daylight.

Did I hit a wrong button or is it something else? Yes, I read the manual but could not find a page to tell me how to correct this problem. And, oddly, the NAV screen picture in the book (contrast, color, etc.) does not exactly match the screen I am looking at in the dash. I am missing a button :confuse:

Any ideas appreciated..... :)
    I had the same problem. It is easy to accidentally lock the display in the "day" mode. Read message 111 and I think that will help you put your display back to "automatic" mode. (you can use the "Go to Message" feature). good luck. --sam
    Not exactly. We are talking about what happens once you have reached the "previous destination" menu.
    Me: "previous destination"
    Screen shows list of previous destinations correctly
    Me: "Three" or "Number Three"
    Avalon: "Are you sure you want a route to PREVIOUS
    DESTINATION number 3 ?" (question also displayed on screen)
    Me: "Yes"
    Avalon: "Calculating a route to PREVIOUS destination number 3."
    The issue is that the destination it takes us to, is not what was displayed next to the PREVIOUS destination number 3 as shown in the list. It isn't the PRESET destination number 3 either. This is a bug. I have an 06 Avalon with software 05.1. Perhaps someone with newer software can tell us if it works correctly on their car.
    Thanks, but... I read post #111 before I asked for help... It seems my screen has no Day Mode button. Looks just like the page 117 screen in the NAV manual. Can't push a button you can't see.

Do you know how to make the Day Mode button re-appear? The position of the headlight switch makes no difference. Is this an electronic failure? :confuse:
    On my car, the DAY mode button is not visible either, when the headlights are OFF. Note that the display does not update in real time, you must have the headlights in the correct state before entering this screen.
    Try this again, just to make sure:
    1. Make sure NAV is displaying the normal MAP display.
    2. Turn your headlights on
    3. Push the Display button
    4. Now I bet you will have the "Day Mode" button?? If so, push it.
    5. Exit as usual back to the normal MAP display.
    Now see if your display dims automatically?
    Note also that you can not be moving. I just noticed that the DAY mode button is not visible when the car is in motion, even if the headlights are on.
    OK... the problem is solved. You won't believe it.

All along we have known that the NAV screen has a control panel to operate it. All the regular dash stuff is one system, the NAV is another. Right? Nope....

If the dash brightness button, on the left side of the dash, is turned to MAX, that is, all the way over to the right, then the NAV screen goes to DAY MODE and cannot be set to night mode. The Day Mode button vanishes.... Back off the max brite setting, the Day Mode button re-appears when you press the DISP button. Needless to say, this explanation is not in the NAV manual or the regular manual.

Not only that, three different local dealers had no idea how to solve this problem. All suggested bringing the car in for a service check. Rediculous. Never doubt that most of the members on Edmunds.com, regardless of the car make, know a lot more than most service departments.

And thanks to *samsks*. Your ideas will eliminate other issues that might have come up later. Still love the car, 5k miles, and perfect so far. :)
    EXACTLY!! I have the same car, same software and same problem. What did your dealer say? When I took my car into a a Florida Toyota dealer the technician said I needed a new microphone ( microphone functions in all other situations) we didn't have time to have this repair and am back in MD now. the technician is mystified (I guess he doesn't accept the FL diagnosis) and will talk to Californaia headquarters when I bring the car in this week. Anybody have any suggestions?
    In reference to post's 162, 157 and 152. It's not going to be the microphone, and I would avoid a dealer that suggests this. It is a software bug, we can use voice commands to bring up the previous destination screen, we can use voice commands to choose an entry from the screen. The car responds with a question "are you sure you want a route to previous destination X." The NAV system recognizes that we want PREVIOUS destination X, and it does properly confirm that with us. Everything works correctly to this point. The problem is that the route it then gives us is not the route that it recognized and confirmed.

My dealer basically told me that they agree it is a problem, and that they have no solution. I am hoping to find someone with a newer DVD software version to see if that takes care of the problem. It isn't a big problem for me because I just use voice commands to get the screen to display (easier than using the menu) and then I use the joystick to select the entry I want.

I have a 2006 with DVD software version 05.1. I am trying to get my hands on a newer version, but my dealer hasn't came through yet.
    Sorry, I don't actually have an Avalon. I was assuming that it was the same as Camry. Guess not.

So does the destination that is being set look familiar at all? Is it nearby the intended destination, some place you've set before or just completely random?
    Same procedure, same problem.For example, if I select destination 3,and it confirms destination 3 it gives me one of the other numbered destinations on the list. I don't want to have to stop the car to get the destination. I think Toyota has a responsibility to make it right.
    The local technician solved the problem-after calling the California gurus who said they they weren't famil;iar with the problem. he figured out that the chosen destination number refers to the five "previous destination" addresses appearing on the screen, not the numbers next to them. So, if you scroll to the destination you're looking for and site its position on the screen, the correct directions will follow. I hope that's clear. It's amazing that this info is not in the instruction manual.
  • ac1962ac1962 Member Posts: 1
    pardon my redundancy if this question has been asked before, but i bought a 2007 avalon xls equipped with a nav system and the disk is missing. how do i find a replacement without spending a lot of money?
    Excellent! Thanks for the info, I should have noticed that myself. Either terrible design, or a bug, but at least now we know how to work around it and be able to use it! Thanks again.

Original Message (lbs1):
    The local technician solved the problem-after calling the California gurus who said they they weren't famil;iar with the problem. he figured out that the chosen destination number refers to the five "previous destination" addresses appearing on the screen, not the numbers next to them. So, if you scroll to the destination you're looking for and site its position on the screen, the correct directions will follow. I hope that's clear. It's amazing that this info is not in the instruction manual
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Those of you with NAV: does it include the State of Hawaii? The largest Hawaii dealer says Hawaii Avalons are not available with NAV so I wonder if that's because the software doesn't include Hawaii, or just because Toyota dealers here decided not to bring in any cars with the NAV option. Since we can't roam too far in this state, it's not a big deal, but I'm curious whether Toyota's factory installed NAV omits Hawaii destinations, streets, etc.
    I'd start by complaing to the person from whom I bought it. If that doesn't work then Ebay...
    That's correct. Hawaii is not supported yet last I heard.