Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Avalon Navigation System

Comments

• Options
    cruzer866cruzer866 Member Posts: 4
    I installed the upgraded DVD (6.1) in my wife's '05 Avalon LTD. Maps work well enough, but the Route Guidance system is totally dead ... totally. Local dealer wants to keep car for up to a week to troubleshoot the system. Since car is out of warranty, I don't want to let them run up a big tab learning their trade at my expense. I pulled the fuse for a couple of days to disable the radio/nav system so that the nav would reboot itself, but still no luck.

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot the route guidance system or how to resolve this problem?
  • Options
    mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    What do you mean by "dead"? There is no voice? You can't input a destination?
  • Options
    The system won't perform route guidance functions. It can show my location on the maps and I can scroll across maps to other places. It still recognizes old destinations that were set before changing DVDs, but when I try to get a route to one of them the system takes a couple of minutes then produces a message saying "Route cannot be found," or words to that effect. The screen that allows me to type in addresses and cities does not work ... it is unresponsive and won't let any entries be made.

Although I have powered off the nav system by removing the radio fuse for several days, thereby causing the system to reload from the DVD, the system must have bubble memory or such because it can remember earlier-set destinations ... but it can't route back to them.

The voice nav is totally unresponsive.

Apparently I need to find a way to perform a total reset of the nav system ... something that wipes out the previously set destinations and completely reboots the entire system, both the GPS part, the mapreading part, and the route guidance part.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    Have you doublechecked that they gave you the right disk? The Avalon has a different system than all other Toyotas so the 6.1 disk for any other vehicle won't work. (Though I wouldn't expect it to boot at all.)

I'd put in the old disk and pull the fuse. I think you only need to wait a few minutes before it loses its RAM data and has to boot from disk. If the old disk works than you know it's the disk.

In that case, even if it's out of warranty, it's an issue with the new disk thus it's the dealer's responsibility.
  • Options
    niteoneniteone Member Posts: 41
    Just last week I had to have the screen replaced on my 2006 XLS cause it went dead....dealer said it was the first time he'd seen that....now, I'm thinking of getting the extra warranty.

they had to order the screen, then they spent 3 hours replacing it, and still I have to return cause they didn't tighten down the center console firmly, cause it now moves left to right easily.
  • Options
    hurtinhurtin Member Posts: 2
    Nothing happens when I depress the voice command button on the steering wheel, No indication on screen or beep. Anyone else expierenceing this problem? Or know of a fix??
  • Options
    Have you used the nav console controls to turn on voice commands and to adjust the volume? If you've done that and the system won't work, return to your dealer.
  • Options
    hurtinhurtin Member Posts: 2
    Thanks cruser866, The voice commands are working. (the voice that provides directions) Dealer had the car for 4 days, Checking wireing, Says the display unit has to be replaced, Awaiting parts, Says it will take 6 weeks to get it... Sorry mess !!
  • Options
    tedtnjtedtnj Member Posts: 10
    My Avalon ’07 is about four weeks old.

More and more I have begun to use the NAV system via voice commands. So far there are no problems. But, I will sometimes issue a voice command and something totally non sequitur follows. I don’t think its my elocution.

Oftentimes, my request will be followed by an announcement:
    1. Now showing gas stations
    2. Now showing Italian restaurants
    3. Now showing shopping malls
    4. Etc.
    And, while I issued a voice command, it was not for any of the above.

What voice command can I use to delete the ICON’s -- most desirable?

What console command can I use to delete the ICON’s?

Thanks much
    :confuse:
  • Options
    algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    POI's OFF voice
  • Options
    generosegenerose Member Posts: 35
    Maybe the two of us have the same speech impediment. I have been experiencing the same problem and my wife thinks that the problem is getting worse with the voice commands. I met with a Toyota Representative today (Jun 11, 07) who denied that there is any issue with the voice recognition system. He said that different regional dialects can affect the way that the system responds. I told him that I do not think that I have a speech problem and that since I spent top dollar for the system I expect perfect performance. Also, I have found that the route guidance in the system id far from perfect, often choosing routes that are indirect or inefficient. He told me that the system seems to be working correctly. I told him that either the system gets corrected or I will see Toyota in court to get this issue resolved. My Avalon is a 2007 Limited model purchased in late November 2006. I am located in Long Island NY. Are you anywhere near here if I should decide to pursue this by legal action? The rep also told me that this generation of the GPS is essentially a three year old design. The new Lexus ES350 system which is very similar has more advanced search features such as search for destination by telephone number or by zip code.
  • Options
    When the voice nav system in my '05 Avalon LTD worked, which it not longer does, I found that the voice recognition capabilities were better if I reduced ambient sounds, such as by turning down the radio volume and turning the a/c fan to a lower speed (if it were on a higher speed).
  • Options
    samskssamsks Member Posts: 12
    Have you checked to make sure that you have selected the correct region? I am not sure if this will affect route guidance or not, but might be worth a try. Destination, then in the Search section there is a map of the US. Make sure your current region is selected.
  • Options
    jrjhmjrjhm Member Posts: 26
    I'm pretty sure the command is "Remove POI's". My system (2007 Limited) has problems recognizing my voice often. Not happy with the system in general. Has put me on strange routes a few times. I'm to the point I don't trust it. Good luck.
  • Options
    davepiszykdavepiszyk Member Posts: 16
    I have a 07 Avalon. The voice system does not respond correctly . I took it in 2 times, the 2nd time they replaced the system...No change. The voice system does the same as before, which is what ever the hell it wants to do. I say go home, it says ATMs are on or map in heads up direction..everything except go home.
    The dealer says that there is NOTHING more they can do ...Anyone else have this problem???
  • Options
    YES-AND TOYOTA IS STONEWALLING THIS PROBLEM. A FACTORY REPRESENTATIVE AFTER SEEING THE PROBLEM WROTE IT UP AS THE SYSTEM IS OPERATING CORRECTLY. DOES ANYONE WANT TO START A MASSIVE PROTEST AGAINST TOYOTA? THE PROBLEM SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING WITH AN OPTION AS EXPENSIVE AS THIS ONE.
  • Options
    PLEASE SEE MY MESSAGE # 183 REGARDING THIS ISSUE ALSO.
  • Options
    mcp13mcp13 Member Posts: 1
    My friend owns a 05 Avalon and the joystick enter button has gradually become more and more unresponsive over the last two years; although looking back it now seems that initially it may not have worked as well as it should have. But now, when you try to use it to select a function it erratically jumps to other areas of the screen and won't respond to the command you need to enter. He had it checked out at a dealer and their recommendation was "it is an electronic failure" and a part in the system needs to be replaced... at a cost of $900! Has anyone encountered this problem? Any advice, suggestions, are most appreciated. The voice system works fine but still need the enter function to make the system work completely. Thanks! MCP13
  • Options
    pulonepulone Member Posts: 11
    I have on 06 Avalon and after three trips to the dealer, they are reluctancly replacing my ball type joystick...alas no JOY. It started getting more erratic, and since I have a 7 yr extended wrty, they knew they would have to replace it sooner or later.

Also, I am having a problem with my navigation screen freezing about once or twice a month. Since Toyota cannot "duplicate" it, they cannot/will not fix it. I am seriously thinking of taking them to small claims court. Has anyone else had their NAVIGATION SYSTEM SCREEN FREEZE?

Thanks, bob
  • Options
    I have on 06 Avalon and after three trips to the dealer, they are reluctantly replacing my ball type joystick...alas no JOY. It started getting more erratic, and since I have a 7 yr extended wrty, they knew they would have to replace it sooner or later.

Also, I am having a problem with my navigation screen freezing about once or twice a month. Since Toyota cannot "duplicate" it, they cannot/will not fix it. I am seriously thinking of taking them to small claims court. Has anyone else had their NAVIGATION SYSTEM SCREEN FREEZE?

Thanks, bob
  • Options
    I have an '07 Avalon Limited. Although my problem is different with the NAV system than yours, my experience with Toyota is miserable. They deny that there is a problem and will not even attempt to investigate the problem beyond having sent a factory representative to the dealer who denied that there is a problem although it was demonstrated to him. I live in New York and there appears to be no easy way to serve a summons on Toyota since they do not have a registered legal representative in the state. The only way to serve them is through the Secretary of State in the state capital (Albany). Their outrageous position is that they will not even reply in writing to my Certified letter but only call me and tell me that they will not offer any further help with the issue since they say that the factory representative has the final say. I called the NYS Attorney General's office and they are sending my a complaint form to complete naming the dealer and Toyota in the complaint. Unfortunately, Small Claims Court seems to be an improbable answer.
  • Options
    Please see my message #193
  • Options
    Although the law might be different in NY, I am a lawyer in CA and do not think you need to serve Toyota itself. Since you bought it from a dealer you can/should just be able to sue the dealer who sold you the car. What is your NAV problem?
    Document it with a detailed history of the problem, including your cert ltr and their failure to provide a written response, etc, bring 3 copies of this diary to court, (yours, Courts & Toyota's) and you should do OK.

bob
  • Options
    My original message is state in #182 on this blog. There is an issue with the voice command system on the NAV. You can find various instances of the same problem mentioned by other writers also. I am extremely angry with the brush-off that Toyota has given this matter and would like to take it further. If any other readers with the same or related problems I would like to create some type of a massive issue to wake up their customer relations(??) people. My Avalon is an '07 Limited model.
  • Options
    Please refer to my blog #183 #196 etc
  • Options
    I understand your frustration (or buyer's remorse) but I don't see a logical argument here.

> since I spent top dollar for the system I expect perfect performance

No GPS or voice recognition system is perfect. Even if this system is inferior to others, I still don't see a case here.

> Also, I have found that the route guidance in the system id far from perfect, often choosing routes that are indirect or inefficient.

This is definitely true of all systems. Even Google maps. If your legal argument is going to be that the system is not perfect than I think you should save your time & money.
  • Options
    why not serve the summons on the dealer where you bought the car?
    and serve Toyota by certified letter (if NY allows that for Small Claims ct)

bob
  • Options
    rugsterrugster Member Posts: 6
    I bought an '08 Limited and passed on the Navigation feature. I've been useing a Garmin Street Pilot in the work vehicle for a year or so. It works great for me and is so simple to use, I didn't even have to read the instructions . I can also move it from vehicle to vehicle with ease.
    The wife basically drives this car to work and back home. She knows her way both directions so a GPS is only needed ocasionally and when that happens, we have the Street Pilot. I just saw the 340 version at Tiger Direct for $240.
  • Options
    Because..You have purchased a luxurious auto with a hang-on device. This contradicts the concept of buy such a car. The integrated system is not difficult to use, it merely has a problem with the voice-recognition system which is apparently incurable. It fails to recognize all commands accurately. The system otherwise works fine. It also has other integrated features which are probably not available without the system. I am near a resolve with Toyota on this issue and will post the information when it is totally resolved. Stand by.... ;)
  • Options
    rugsterrugster Member Posts: 6
    Concept is one thing. Paying so much for a feature that is very seldom used and has incurable voice recognition problems is another. For those rare times we need a navigator , breaking out the hang-on device serves us very well.
    If it works for you that's great but everybody has different needs and values.
  • Options
    davepiszykdavepiszyk Member Posts: 16
    When you resolve your issue please post the results. I've gotten no where with my dealer other than it's an issue Toyota is aware of and not resolvable.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    Good Luck to you. Whatever your choices are, they are the right ones. My feeling is I want everything integrated and th at works for me.
  • Options
    go to Cons Reports, (Oct?) and they evaluate about 20 different ones..... If not Oct, see index on current one, and it will tell you which issue, worth the trip to your local library
  • Options
    b1gatorb1gator Member Posts: 12
    I have an 05 Ltd with the DVD navigation system and the Maintenance reminders. I change my on oil at 5000 mile intervals and enter the 5000 mile interval into the oil change and filter areas of the maintenance reminders. The problem I have is that several times the system has stopped counting down to the oil change mileage and I believe is hung up at 1661 or some similar number. Anyone else had this issue and/or know how to correct. Thanks.

BC
  • Options
    inferno_gogoinferno_gogo Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just purchased an Avalon XLS 2007. It has a navigation DVD but i can't figure out where to insert it. It is nowhere in the manual. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
  • Options
    algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    I have not actually put a dvd in but I did see the unit.

Look under the little well on the left side in the trunk. Pull out the insulation and I believe you will see the unit.

Good luck

Al
  • Options
    fmflfmfl Member Posts: 16
    I traded a 2003 Honda Accord with navigation and bought a 2008 Toyota Avalon Limited with all the bells and whistles. The Avalon is a wonderful car ... but the navigation really sucks. My Honda navigation was a joy to use. The Avalon navigation operation reminds me of a kid playing with a rubic's cube ... your hands are flying all over the place, you are making mistakes, and little is being accomplished. The Honda touch screen was a joy to use ... the Avalon navigation is misery. If Toyota makes some kind of solution for this junk let us know.
  • Options
    coral1coral1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 avalon with a GPS....I can not tell you how many times this thing has taken me astray...Ihave told the dealer to no avail. I have called the toyota home office and they say they have no complaints about the GPS system. Are you guys complaining, are you having them write up a work order ticket and are you calling the main office?
  • Options
    gmorkengmorken Member Posts: 2
    The other response you got for your question is correct. Its in the trunk and the eject button is covered up but a small piece of plastic that you slide over to expose the eject button.

For any others wondering about the upgrade process, I just upgraded to the latest maps on our 2006 Avalon Limited. I waited 2 years before forking over the $250 (list price) for these newer maps... I went from v5.1 to 7.1. The Toyota service bulletin lists the counties that have upgraded maps before you decide if its worth the upgrade. Our county in northeast Florida is building subdivisions like crazy for the last few years so it was an easy decision for us to upgrade.

While the engine was on, I simply ejected the old version and inserted the new DVD and it never missed a step. It remembered our saved locations with no problems. There were new software features added to our Generation 3 unit.

Regards
    Greg

2006 Avalon Limited, with all available factory options.
    2001 Avalon XLS (best quality of our four Toyotas)
    2000 Camry (problems galore including new engine at 60k)
    1995 Camry (225,000 miles and still running strong)
  • Options
    ... have a 2007 avalon with a GPS....I can not tell you how many times this thing has taken me astray...Ihave told the dealer to no avail. I have called the toyota home office and they say they have no complaints about the GPS system...

Toyota America is lying to you. I finally got results after I called Toyota in Japan (Tokyo)and sent them documentation of my travails with the factory representative who saw my car malfunction and said that there was nothing wrong with the system. A certified letter to Toyota in California got me a phone call from a representative who said that the word of the Factory Representative was final and I could go to arbitration if I felt there was a basis for a complaint. They refused to put their response in writing. After the call to Japan (which must be made at night after 9PM EST), the lady I spoke to, who spoke perfect English, expressed the concern that the position being taken by Toyota America was not appropriate and that she would contact them. I received a call from a gentleman in the Executive Offices of Toyota America after about 5 days who advised me that they had heard about problems with the Navigation system. He said that they intend to make changes in future models. I asked what good that would do for me and he asked me what I would thought would be appropriate. I said I either wanted the system fixed or I wanted monetary compensation for the less-than-perfect system.
    He asked what I thought would be appropriate. I asked for $500 and he agreed. I got a check with a cover letter that made no mention of the problem, merely that the check was for "goodwill". Anybody with the problem should consider dealing with Toyota regarding this problem in the same way since they are taking the STONEWALL POSITION on the problems with this system. I got the number for Toyota by going on the Toyota website (Japan). Good Luck to All. Write back after you try this! It worked for me! :mad: :) By the way.... I used STARTEC phone service (see GOOGLE) The call to Japan for 20+ minutes cost about $1.00
  • Options
    See message #212 for what I accomplished
  • Options
    :):):)I finally got results after I called Toyota in Japan (Tokyo)and sent them documentation of my travails with the factory representative who saw my car malfunction and said that there was nothing wrong with the system. A certified letter to Toyota in California got me a phone call from a representative who said that the word of the Factory Representative was final and I could go to arbitration if I felt there was a basis for a complaint. They refused to put their response in writing. After the call to Japan (which must be made at night after 9PM EST), the lady I spoke to, who spoke perfect English, expressed the concern that the position being taken by Toyota America was not appropriate and that she would contact them. I received a call from a gentleman in the Executive Offices of Toyota America after about 5 days who advised me that they had heard about problems with the Navigation system. He said that they intend to make changes in future models. I asked what good that would do for me and he asked me what I would thought would be appropriate. I said I either wanted the system fixed or I wanted monetary compensation for the less-than-perfect system.
    He asked what I thought would be appropriate. I asked for $500 and he agreed. I got a check with a cover letter that made no mention of the problem, merely that the check was for "goodwill". Anybody with the problem should consider dealing with Toyota regarding this problem in the same way since they are taking the STONEWALL POSITION on the problems with this system. I got the number for Toyota by going on the Toyota website (Japan). Good Luck to All. Write back after you try this! It worked for me! By the way.... I used STARTEC phone service (see GOOGLE) The call to Japan for 20+ minutes cost about $1.00
  • Options
    good for you,

I may do something similar.

bob
  • Options
    I think anyone getting run over by Toyota should take an action like this. Don't let them get away with it. They think they can run roughshod over the consumer.
  • Options
    baldbillbaldbill Member Posts: 2
    I want to purchase upgrade disc for 03 system To install is it just a matter of switching discs in the trunk?
  • Options
    navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    Yes. Please be sure to get the correct disc. The disc from Toyota is 00110-DVD07-CY.
  • Options
    baldbillbaldbill Member Posts: 2
    Thank You
  • Options
    Has anyone else had their NAV SYS just plain freeze? Mine does it about twice a month, when on longer trips, on fwy. Dealer can't duplicate the probelm, so I am stuck with it.

bob
  • Options
    b1gatorb1gator Member Posts: 12
    I have an 05 Limited and i've had it do that several times when I'm driving to a set destination and it stops counting down the mileage to go even though the map still moves. Sometimes pushing the Nav button again will get it to update but not always.

BC
  • Options
    coach57coach57 Member Posts: 5
    I just recently bought my first toyota a 2008 avalon limited absolutely love this car just have one problem when using the voice activated system will ask it to swich to am radio and nav responds atm icons showing on map. If not in the gps mode it recognizes the command this is not the only command it gets wrong is this a common occurance or am I doing something wrong thanks for the help.