Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Navigation System

12345679»

Comments

• number4avalonnumber4avalon Member Posts: 13
    In Aug'12 purchased a '11AV Limited with Navigation which I am still slowly learning to use. This has a 10.1 version DVD Nav. disc which was developed in 2010 for the 2011 AV. production. Two Toy. dealers want $169.00 for a 12.1 Nav. disc update. Has anyone updated their disc to newer versions? Is it worthwhile. Use the Nav. 1-2 times a month. Any suggestions?
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Tough call. I said to hell with it and bought a new 2013 instead:)

Ok, really. I had a very nice Garmin with the car before my 2011 Avalon, and must admit, I often used both units. The Garmin (which I had lifetime Map updates), was as you'd expect always right on the money. More so as of late (which is why the Toyota unit has a New DVD available).

Is it worth $169.00 to not get lost É you'll have to make that call?

Is it worth NOT having a usable Nav that you paid dearly for É you'll have to make that call?

Is it worth looking at a nice Garmin and getting lifetime map updates and never have to worry about this again É you'll need to make that call.

In a perfect world, Toyota would contract with someone like Garmin and allow for "Lifetime Map updates" and:

- Being able to create a route on the desktop computer / ipad or whatever, and then be able to email to the car

- Be able to move about the screen better, and change routes with greater easy. Touch on the new road you want to be on, and have it take you there.

Now the 2013 does have something I didn't see and my 2011, which is POI show up and you can select one and say go there and it puts it into the system. A pretty cool feature, that is a way I used to get back on track once so far.

Skip
  • djrc08861djrc08861 Member Posts: 52
    we are in the same boat.i too had a garmin.the 2012 avalon nav is horrible.is the 2013 one the same? with the routes? quick.alt,fast etc? is it alot like your 2011 avalon nav?
    Had a email response from the Toy. parts dept. regarding the 12.1 nav. disk update for a 2011AV compared to the 10.1 orginal. "Easier re-routing, 42 new counties added, updated coverage Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands and about 200K miles of newly verified roads". So my decision whether to update to 12.1 is not easier. I have a old Navcon GPS which is easier to program and can take in any vehicle.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Dealer install nav's are terrible. i always use my garmin so much better. I say do yourself a favor save the money w/ car installed nav/s they look nice but thats about it.. I always goolgle my directions with print out just in case you hit a dead zone with the nav. happen a couple of times not very fun..

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• tkaztkaz Member Posts: 69
    I want to upgrade the DVD in my 2011 Avalon and Sienna to 12.1 There are two different part numbers - 86271-73013 and 86271-73014. What is the difference? Will both work for both cars? Is there a preference? How do I determine which one to get?
    Nav model in the Sienna is E7027 and in the Avalon it is E7031.
    Thanks
    Hope some '11 Avalon owner has updated to the 12.1 disc and can relate if the updated disc improves the nav. system to justify the expense. The Toyota dealer I spoke to has the specs for the updated 12.1 disc for the particular Toyota vehicles.
    Navigation for my 2011 AV is 10.1 disc. Can't understand why so few established cross streets (roads) are shown as lines but not named. Always identifies name of street road being traveled but not intersecting streets etc. My 4 year old portable Navagon does much better on intersecting streets. I would upgrade the disc. to 12.1 if I knew more intersecting streets (roads) are identified. Still hope as in previous post to learn from a user the changes made in the 12.1 disc.
  • liaisonliaison Member Posts: 49
    Does anyone know if the 2012 Limited with Navi shows info on songs that are playing like my 07 Accord in XM mode? Also, I drove a 2012 Limited today and the JBL system does not seem to sound as good as my Honda EX-L system (07). Would like to hear from Avalon owners out there on what they think of the JBL system in the Avalon.
    yes it shows info on songs.also the sound system is phenomenal.just lower the bass cuz the bass bottom gives out too much bass from songs
  • itzme80itzme80 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2013 Avalon Limited (less than 300 miles) and am curious if the problems I am experiencing are limited to my particular car or if anyone else has the same problems.

Upon pairing my iPhone to the car's entertainment system, many things started happening. First, the system played what I wanted it to from the iPhone. Then, right in the middle of listening to my calming music at the volume level I wanted, another song from a totally different genre of music started playing at a much higher volume level. I had no idea where it came from, and it took quite a bit of fiddling to get it to revert to what I was listening to.

Then, it arbitrarily went to the Settings screen. I did not tell it to do that. I got that turned off, and then it went back to my music. Then the map screen came on. I got that turned off and it reverted to my desired music.

Then the loud music came back on. I got that turned back off and the same cycle started all over again. I had not touched anything to make all this happen.

There are many more details, but that the gist of the situation.

Has anyone experienced the same, or reasonably similar, situation with the 2013 Avalon Limited?
    I couldn't even get my cell phone to pair with the unit. They told me it was my phone, but turns out it was the head unit.

Skip
    Did you mean "You drove a 2013"? If so, the radio in the 2013's is not as good as the earlier models, at least many of us don't think it's as good.

Skip
  • jackson75jackson75 Member Posts: 1
    Owners manual states there is a section on right hand side of screen that has a colored section on a bar that reduces as the vehicle approaches the next turn. It should also show the distance to the next turn with a arrow indicating the turn direction. My system does not show this. In heavy city driving, the voice command does not give you enough warning to make turn safely. My portable Magellan unit has this feature. Could not find a setting that would turn this feature on. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Well the good news is, it does. The bad news is, I no longer have a 2013 Avalon, so I can't tell you how to set it?

Try this, it's a great area for how do video's

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF94CmqbviY&playnext=1&list=PLsOvRYzJPCwW2G_XGce-- V89dSGZzNSuHw&feature=results_main

Skip
  • driver228driver228 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2013 Avalon w/o Navi. Should I have one put in or just use a TomTom on GPS handheld. HELP
    As nice as it is, a Tom-Tom or Garmin (which is what I have) is as good if not better for a Hell of a lot less money.

And I believe the "Head Unit" is part of the sound system, so you'll get more then just the Nav É I believe.

The Nav is nice in that is bigger then the Tom-Tom. It's easy to read, it splits the screen when you get on highways, and has exits and such showing up on screen, it has POI showing up on screen, which is cool, because you can touch say, the gas station on the screen, and say "Go there" and sets that up as the stop to make next and other cool stuff like that.

Skip
  • driver228driver228 Member Posts: 3
    So, what shud I expect to pay for Toyota to install the Navigation System if I go that route. The easy access of touch is diff a plus especially the easy to see part. lol
  • tkaztkaz Member Posts: 69
    I have the NAV in both my '11 Sienna and '11 Avalon. I find that if you need general directions, like site-seeing it works fine. The traffic alert is not impressive. I also have Tom Tom on my iPhone with the traffic subsription. When I travel on business the Tom Tom has it all over the Toyota Nav. Tom Tom gives you more info plus if there is a traffic issue it gives you options.
    I agree. I had a 2011, and the Nav was nice, but not as up-to-date as my Garmin (which I have lifetime map up-dates with), the 2013 Avalon Nav was much better (but the car wasn't and I traded it in), and the 2012 Avalon is fine, but again, my Garmin is better.

I do like having POI show up on the map, and being able to click on them, and then say "Go there" and the Nav add's it to your route.

Very surprised that the car manufacturers aren't hooked up with one of the GPS giants? All a moog point with cell phones on a days.

Skip
    i have the 2012 also.i'm curious.why did you trade in the 2013?
  • solara01solara01 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2013 Avalon Limited w/tech package. I used to use a Tom Tom in my 2001 Solara. I gave it to a friend because I no longer need it with this car. I liked the 3D on my Tom Tom but I got used to the HDD nav. in the Avalon quickly. I have yet to find any nav. system that gets everything right. All that being said, I will give you the Pros and Cons.

I live in Rochester. NY. It seams that XM traffic only works in profitable markets which I am not in. Do not fret. The HDD nav. system does not require an XM subscription for road problems. So I guess, the question was what do I have to pay for good nav. information. Nothing!

I will say this, when driving, the voice recognition needs improvement. You need to know the commands and locating a destination that is not close by, can be frustrating. This is a software fix and can be updated to your vehicle.

You have to get use to the system. Read the manuals and the videos. Is it perfect, No! I have still not seen a perfect Nav. system. I think this car offers a more user friendly system that I have seen in cars costing $20,000 more. Everything is touch sensitive including the nav. system. The whole user interface to the driver is well laid out and responsive.

I own this car but I do not have any problem with suggesting any improvements.

Thanks
  • cryptokid1cryptokid1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Toyota Avalon Limited and I'm having a problem with the Navigation System in it.
    Here is my question: How do you get from Point A to Point B without the GPS telling you to take
    every exit you are approaching long before you arrive at the actual exit you need to take? For example, if I need to take Exit #12 the GPS will tell me to take all the exits from 1 to ll. I purchased the car new in July of 2012 and the GPS never done this in the past. It just started
    doing this last week on our last vacation. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Terry
    Hi. From what I can tell, you'll need to go in and tell it how you want it to navigate for for. By this I mean, Highways (toll roads), back roads and so forth.

Also, you'll need to notice when it tells you there are 3 routes chosen and you choose a route, it's going to follow that route. You can go in and place a marker at a point, and it will then go that route.

I haven't checked this out yet, but here is what looks like an OUTSTANDING site to watch video's on the system?

- https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/2011-toyota-avalon-navigation/id388938852

Skip
    dont even bother.theyre is no solution.it is a garbage gps.i regret paying the extra.i removed the entire system altogether and replaced it with a sony radio and gps
  • ramosvramosv Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 avalon love the car hate the navigation every time I enter a destination it sends me on a route keeps telling to get off every exit as if I preferred to go through the city when All I wanna do is stay on the highway need help there has to be some kind of setting I can change please help
    There are settings allowing for: Fastest Route, Stay off highways, only highways, avoid toll roads and such.

Check out the video's on youtube for using the Nav.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHPeW6n6l0s&list=PLsOvRYzJPCwW2G_XGce-V89dSGZzNSu- Hw

Skip
  • tperdue1tperdue1 Member Posts: 1
    I discovered something today when I called the local Toyota dealer to inquire about upgrading the disc in my 2011 Avalon. The parts manager said that the only disc available now is the 2012 version. He said that the 2013 disc will not be available until November. He said that is the typical upgrade date for new discs. It goes without saying that I put my order on hold.
    The only thing I'd say to this is É Should be in around November?

While I'm not having enough issues to worry about, I'd be leery about the time table. Maybe others can chime in on if they purchased over the years and when.

Other posts have noted, that while the latest is nice, it's still a year or more away from the newest data?

Skip
  • jacairjacair Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I have a 2005 Avalon and have had nothing but problems with the toggle for typing etc. I have had the unit replaced because I just couldn't type anymore. Now we are back to the same thing and it's basicaly useless I can't type again. it seems to me to be a manufatucing flaw. To replace the unit is about 900.00 and that is without updating the map which I hear has 2003 data on the 2005 cars.. Any feedback would be appreciated, the car is too old now to have it repaired again...
  • donbarnes3328donbarnes3328 Member Posts: 2
    HI, I have a new 2013 avalon. what are the little red dots all over the map? can i get rid of them?
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    Yes you can they are showing you the routes you have been taking.

AND READ THE MANUAL for goodness sake
  • donbarnes3328donbarnes3328 Member Posts: 2
    I found it, turn off the "route tracer" feature.
    You're welcome :-)
  • gagalgagal Member Posts: 4
    I agree the installed GPS is a total waste of money. It can't find places that have been around for 10 years! It tries to take you down roads that have been closed for years!! GARBAGE!!!!!!!!
    While not great, it's not garbage (IMO).

I use it most of the time on trips, and yes, sometimes it takes me off the beaten path,
    and yes, it has gotten screwed up when new roads, new roundabouts have been built since the current version was made, and yes, it still lists many POI that is wrong or non-existing, it has never gotten me lost, or not work at all.

Yes I like and use my Garmin, but I try the built in unit first and been fine.

I travel a fair amount (35,000 miles a year), from Maine to Florida and all points in-between and it's never failed me to the point of being mad.

YES, it has on a few occasions sent me out in no mans land for a pizza shop / subway sandwich shop, but for hotels, streets and most other major attractions, it's worked fine.

YES, I'm glad I bring along my Garmin, but even that has brought me out in the woods for a restaurant before, and yes, it most often chooses a different route to get somewhere.

Would I like the built-in unit to work as good, easy and practical as my Garmin, Hell yes (as I pointed out before, just trip planning online then downloading to the Garmin is way cool, and makes a extended trip so much less stressful, but the Toyota unit has a bigger display and shows things like how many lanes there are in an upcoming exit, REAL helpful when getting off in the bigger cities and coming up on an exit quickly.

Ok, I'll stop so I can get some work done.

Skip
  • deenie3deenie3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem of the toggle sticking and not allowing me to enter a selection on my '06 Avalon Limited. While in for service the dealer checked with Toyota to see if this problem was acknowleged or if there was a fix (e.g., clean and lubricate the toggle). The dealer came up empty and short of replacing the unit referred me to a private shop that deals with electronics issues. Also, the dealer said it would not work to replace my unit with a touch screed unit Toyota provided in later year Avalons (I have one of these in my '07 Tundra and it is far superior). I'll keep researching.... not inclined to replace with the same inferior toggle ball type unit that I have, have always found it cumbersome even when it worked.
  • jmuccijmucci Member Posts: 1

I have a 2006 avalon and I can't input a new destination. On the destination screen I click on address and it flashes but thats all. No input screen, nothing. Also, I can't input a search area. It's all blank on the search area right side. No map and "change" button, nothing. Help.

• debm3debm3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Avalon and the Nav system is getting pretty squirrelly. It often says no DVD while in the middle of route guidance or just says can't find route when I put in a destination. When driving around without route guidance the map display works fine, with no error messages. It is just the guidance mode. Updated disc about 18 months ago and I know new disc is available, but will new disc fix the issues?
  • johnr888johnr888 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2010 Avalon Limited and for the past year I have been experiencing a major problem with the button-joystick. It simply won't go to the letters / numbers that I point it at, hence preventing me from inputting information such as addresses and such. The Toyota dealer said that they can't or won't fix the problem, which is probably a faulty contact switch in the button assembly, but would be glad to replace the entire unit for thousands of dollars! There is no way I'm going down that trail. However, I was wondering if anyone is aware of a company in the greater Chicago area that fixes on-board GPS systems. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    JohnR888