Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Steering Questions

2»

Comments

• netwonnetwon Member Posts: 53
    Over your valve train on the top end of the engine both banks of cylinders have a cover that goes over the valves. There is a gasket that holds them on. The gaskets themselves aren't that bad to get but they may be hard to get to. The front one in your car should be easy if that is the one that is leaking.... Not a major repair.

Net
  • mcali786mcali786 Member Posts: 3
    Net...thanks for explaining...I asked mylocal mechanic and he quoted $300 for complete job +taxes...He said exactly what you mentioned above that the gasket itself is for $60 but to replace it is the time it takes...around 2 1/2 hrs job so labours kills it.

So now i have 2 things to take care of: Rack n Pinon to be repalced from my toyota dealer and the valve cover gaskets from my mechanic

Question: is it a good idea to have the fluid flushed while i'm getting new rack?
    Once the rack is removed 95% of your PS fluid will be gone. Have Toyota check to see if your car can take transmission fluid, for PS fluid. (some quote DOT3 brake fluid but can take Tranny fluid as they found it lasted better in the cold Toy will know) If you can use transmission fluid get a good Mobil One Synthetic. It will cost you 8.99 a litre but works awesome in the cold. Short answer to your question post rant. You will have all your fluid drained when the new rack goes in. Just ask the mechanic to make sure he bleeds the old fluid out (which they most likely will.

Net
  • mcali786mcali786 Member Posts: 3
    Okay thanks again! you mentioned transmission fluid in PS? How's that possible, I've heard even people say just use genuine toyota ps fluid! because generic can casue racks to leark (from seals i guess)

Also, is there any way I can have my dealer charge less? (any tips on saving money at service?) :)
    I own an Avalon and a Toyota Corolla my factory fill for the Corolla is Dextron III (trans fluid) for the PS system. Some older Toyotas that require special fluids should use the Toyota brand. My cousins Tundra required brake fluid (DOT 3) for the PS, but after pump failures in the cold weather of Edmonton, Toyota eventually came out with documentation into using tranny fluid. Both Dot 3 and Dex 3 are technically hydraluic fluids.

Net
  • carterbcarterb Member Posts: 2
    I have owned a 2007 for about 3 months and the steering seems oversensitive. It is just all over the highway, if I glance away for a second I am in the other lane. The dealer says no use checking the alignment, this is just the way the car steers. As great as this car is, I hate the steering and am wondering if I should trade it. Is it me, or just my particular car?
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    This is not typical.

One reason could be overinflated tires, a common and dangerous oversight when new cars are first delivered. This happened to me twice, with a 97 Camry and a 05 Avalon, tire pressures were way over spec. Setting correct pressure made a huge difference in handling.

Your 07 has built-in sensors so this should not be happening -- but I'd still suggest to check tire pressure manually.
  • carterbcarterb Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I should have mentioned after getting the vehicle home I deflated the tires from 37 PSI to 32. I have a very accurate digital gauge I use for all my cars.
  • ydnicydnic Member Posts: 2
    While I am driving my Avalon, the steering is very stiff and jerky. After turning the steering wheel does not return to straight.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

I used a syringe to extract most of the old power steering fluid and added new Dex III, as recommended by my Toyota manual. Someone told me that I should add some Lucas power steering fluid to stop any leaks (none visible) and make smooth steering. I purchased the Lucas, but I am hesitant to add it to the reservoir as it is not mentioned in my Toyota manual. If it is safe I will take some of the Dex III out and add Lucas to the fill line.

I appreciate any help with this problem.

Ydnic
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    This question is already being answered in our Answers Department:

http://answers.edmunds.com/ViewQuestion.aspx?questionId=11471&#answer11486

Please feel free to come back here and talk about your Avalon but go over there for responses to your specific power steering question. I think you have 3 answers already!

Visiting host
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Thanks Shifty!! :)
  • ydnicydnic Member Posts: 2
    My husband's Ram 1500 four door, four wheel drive truck won't accelerate over 60 kilometres an hour. Filled up and still same. Anyone have any suggestions as to what we might be looking at?? Thanks for all responses in advance.
This discussion has been closed.