Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi TT Window and Door Problems

koolkev1koolkev1 Member Posts: 1
I purchased an 180-hp TT earlier this year and in general I have been pretty happy with it. My three biggest problems with the car are:
- about 1 out of every 5 times the car door is closed, the window does not go back up all of the way.
- both of the sideview mirrors rattle like crazy
- the Bose Stereo upgrade sounds pathetic!

My Audi dealer claims that there is nothing wrong with my side view mirrors, even though everyone that rides in my car notices a problem.

Audi's service is another problem. I take my car to Jim Ellis Audi in Atlanta. For some reason it takes me 3-4 weeks to get an appointment to take my car in.

Comments

• vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Kev:

Is your TT a coupe or roadster? If it is a roadster, you might want to try pushing up on the handle that releases the top. It sometimes doesn't seat properly and this will prevent the window from going all the way up. If this problem persists, the dealer should adjust the top so that it aligns correctly with the headliner.

I had the same problem with my 01 Roadster. After several complaints, they finally realigned the top and I haven't had the problem in 6 months. Good luck.
  • belferbelfer Member Posts: 1
    After carefully scrutinizing which would be the sportiest and unique car to buy for 25grand, I purchased a '02 225hp quattro TT coupe. The vehicle is Cert-pre-owned with a 3 year extended warranty (6 months still remain on the orig. fact warranty) I absolutely went crazy for the car's looks, performance, and quality of the materials and interior design. It is the coolest car I've ever owned. Shortly thereafter it became an incredible source of frustration for me. Before taking delivery of the car, I made sure Rusnak Audi of Pasadena, CA replaced the tires with name brand tires of the proper size. The tires were slightly too thin and too tall. The turn-signal and interior light switch were repaired as well. After driving the car for a couple days it felt totally unstable. Turns out, after 3 trips to the dealer that the rear suspension bushings had been working their way out of their housings causing extreme neg. camber at the rear. It was fixed under warranty after 4 days at the dealer with a terrible rental car. The windows started to get a mind of their own and would roll down 1 second after I hit the fancy "1-touch" up switch. The other window simply wouldn't roll all the way up. Until finally, it randomly decided to. The dealer couldn't duplicate the problem. The car, then began to overheat. Oh yeah, did I tell you that it only had 30,000 miles on it? Took it to the dealer again, got a PT cruiser rental car and they replaced the temp sensor and electric fan. They told me the windows were dirty from the smog in the air which caused their erratic behavior. I didn't accept this answer, but couldn't duplicate the problem in front of them. Two days later, the windows are still wacky and the temp guage started climbing again while gently driving in 68 degree weather. Lots of squeaks and rattles, there's a loose screw rolling around inside of the plastic E-brake housing. Both parking lamp bulbs have been replaced and one of the lamp sockets appearently melted. I swear the clutch is starting to feel like it takes up differently from time to time. I'm getting rid of it after 5 months. It still looks really cool and breaks my heart that the design is so appealing but I can't have that without the headaches of crazy problems. I'm getting a lexus IS300. It's really boring looking but has a reputation for reliability.
  • alexspyalexspy Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY AUDI TT 2001 MY WINDOW DO NOT GO ALL THE WAY UP AND WHEN I'M DRIVIN THE DOOR LIGHT IS ON SOME TIMES. DOES ANY ONE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ???? AND WHEN I CLOSE THE DOOR SOME TIMES THE WINDOW WORK ;... :(
  • quattrorttquattrortt Member Posts: 3
    I have similar problems. Have checked to see if your gas and trunk button are working along with the central locking button in the center console? Let me know. Steve
  • allnightdjallnightdj Member Posts: 2
    There is a simple fix to your automatic up-down window problem. I found this out when I had my instrument cluster replaced, and they forgot to re-program the windows. Just call your dealer's service department, and they will tell you the sequence of raising and lowering your window to reset the automatic up down feature. It worked for me.
  • drhunter950drhunter950 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know if there is a fuse or reply for the passenger window not to operate.
  • robm4robm4 Member Posts: 2
    No, but if you find out, or had it fixed could you please let me know what it was?
    thanks
  • scoughscough Member Posts: 3
    The windows in my TT roll down (by themselves) occasionally after the car is stopped and locked. It's maddening and my dealer says he has never heard of this happening. (Luckily I have witnesses!) I live in Palm Desert, I really think it has something to do with the extraordinary heat here.
  • 2005ttr2005ttr Member Posts: 1
    The dealer may not, but i have. I have a 2005 TT roadster and everytime its even the slightest bit damp outside i cant get the drivers side window to "auto up", it stops about half way and rolls back down. After a visit to the dealer to fix that issue(and it was corrected after 2 trips), i noticed that while driving, if i hit a bump or a pothole, the passenger window "autos down" by itself. Getting aggrivated with the dealer telling me i was crazy, i traced the power window module wires. Come to find out that the drivers side external key cylinder leads had become crimped by the window regulator in the drivers door, causing the window down relays to trigger. Thus, the doors remained locked, but the windows roll down at, what appeared to be, random. You may want to check the drivers door harnesses and the internal door wiring, sounds very similar to the problem i was having. Hope this helps.
    Wow! Thanks very much. I'll talk to the dealer. (The Internet is the greatest thing!)

Steve
  • jgoweyjgowey Member Posts: 1
    I live in Iowa and am having the same problem this summer. On really hot days, the windows just go down. I actually sat and watched it happen one day. I shut off the engine and locked the doors and in about 5 minutes, the locks started to click and then the windows just went down. It will also happen if you do not lock the doors. I have a 2001 TT with 54,000 miles purchased in October 2005.
    Did you ever find a solution to the problem.
    Hey, my family lives in Des Moines. (I live in Palm Desert now.) I'm just living with it. I'll take it to the dealership when I have more $$$. Steve
  • thekegthekeg Member Posts: 2
    I, too, have the windows that decide when they want to go down. I wont beat a dead horse but the 5 second reset doesn't seem to ok for me. Its totally random when he windows go up and seal. Hopefully someone has seen their problem rectified. Please share.
  • sarahjane827sarahjane827 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Did you ever find the solution to your window problem as I have that problem every time I go to lock or open my car the windows come down.
  • jazzyjjazzyj Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am having the exact same problem with my 95 c220 mb. But, to add salt to the wound, the window also goes down when the key is in the iginition. Did you every find out what the problem was in your car?
  • savannah_ttsavannah_tt Member Posts: 3
    there is a little switch in the door latch that tells computer door position. you will have to buy a new latch unless you are very mechanically inclined. its not hard to get to at all after the the latch is out of the door. ( i bought a switch from radio shack and super glued it in place.) its still working after about 100 miles but im not holding my breath. if it fails again i will make a metal bracket.
  • dmlphdmlph Member Posts: 3
    the rear window comes unglued from the convertible top and cannot really be repaired properly. Replacement cost? $3100 for a new top. It just happened to me (see my pic album)
  • dmlphdmlph Member Posts: 3
    Re the window coming unglued from the convertible top: I spoke the the customer service 'advocate' She indicated that this is a 'routine maintenance issue' I beg to differ! When you pay $42,000 for a car you should expect that it can stay outside in a 'routine' downpour and not fall to pieces! She said that Audi was 'not aware of the problem.' I pointed out to her the fact that my research on various internet car forums had turned up many, many problems with the rear window separating from the convertible top. She said that the internet was 'not a reliable source.' I told her that I thought that the people who buy, drive and pay to maintain Audi automobiles are a pretty good source of how they run and the good and bad features. Right now my 2001 TT Roadster is sitting at Momentum Audi in Houston and is going to stay until I hear something back from the Audi advocate. It is $3100 for a new top and who is to say that the window will not separate again, since Audi is 'not aware of the problem' and is using the same glue.
  • arfstenarfsten Member Posts: 1
    I am having trouble with my trunk and fuel tank. I can't get either to open, my key remote seems dead, and the buttons inside won't work. I am waiting for new batteries for my key to arrive. Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a way to get into the trunk so I can manually open the fuel tank?
    Thanks.
  • azaritaazarita Member Posts: 3
    :( I have the exact same problem with my Audi TT roadster/2001 with 38000 miles on it...& it has been kept in an indoor garage in a show room condition!!! but did not matter i suppose>>>>...i have called the Audi of America several times, I took it to Audi Of Charlotte for an estimate (as per Audi of america,s advise!!!!.).The cost $3700 ( replacement part $2600 + labor $1100)...& Audi of America is willing to pay 10% of this expense to help me out!!!!???? so generous....I did not accept that offer....As per the service manager they have seen many cases of REAR WINDOW SEPARATION FROM CONVERTIBLE TOP IN AUDI TT...
    I,m looking for Audi tt owners with the same problem...Perhaps Audi of America is looking for another Class Action Lawsuit >>>????
    edited February 2010
    :D :surprise: I have the same problem, just few weeks ago i saw it on my Audi TT/quattro roadster/2001 with 38000 miles.......I noticed it while the car was parked in my indoor garage...plus my car has not been driven for the last 2 years that much!!!!...in 2 years i put less than 300 miles on it...i was so surprised to see that ...it cost $3700 to replace the whole convertible top.....insane!!!! ...It seems it has been a nationwide problem for Audi TT owners...but the AUDI OF AMERICA CORP is not willing to accept it as a manufacturing defect....I,m not happy about it..perhaps, if we can gather more AUDI TT owners with the same problem The Corp would listen and do something about it!!!!
  • nbreslownbreslow Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new ‘08 TT convertible in May of ‘09. The windows are “one touch” up and down when the engine is on, but adjustable up and down when engine is off. (Well, very rarely they are mulit-touch when the engine is on.) The service manager says he spoke to Audi engineering and they say that’s the way the car was designed, and there is nothing that can be done to give me “multi-touch” windows up and down with the engine on. Can this be true, or is Audi just trying to avoid a recall? If the latter, what should I do?
  • wdotwdot Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 TT quattro rag top. Recently the drivers window stopped doing the slight roll down when opening the door (it still works on the passenger door). If the car is running and I open the door it gives me the drivers door open display which goes away when the door is closed. Is this a computer issue that can be reset or are there multiple switches in the door?

Both windows do the slight roll down when I release the top latch like they should.

Any ideas where to start?
  • bur213bur213 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2002 Audi TT convertible and the rear window is separating from the top. It just happened today! The car is garage kept and has low miles. Did you ever come up with a satisfactory remedy for this problem. I called a local top repair and they want $1500 and said it's unrepairable. I saw on another post that a guy used rhino glue to repair his corvette.
  • pjcallicottpjcallicott Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 TT Roadster and 2 weeks ago the rear window separated from the top about 3/4 of the way around. I'm being told that it cannot be glued, that it will have to be replaced. $4000 if not under warranty. When I told the service Rep at Audi that I had seen some postings of owners having the tops re-glued he stated that he had never heard of that but would be glad to do some internet checking himself and give me a call back.
    I did resolve my problem with the rear window by changing it...the cost is around $1500, ...indeed, it can not be reglued...I believe it's a manufacturing problem, therefore...I advise you to call the Audi headquarter & based on the condition of your car (if it has been kept in an excellent condition ), they might partially help you out with the expenses of the replacement.......They really care about their Audi customers & their satisfaction...best luck!.
  • digitoodigitoo Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 TT quattro. My windows would roll down a couple of inches when I put the rag top down but they would not roll back up when I closed my door and the "rag top open" warning would come on. I took my car to my mechanic and he told me that the door latch mechanism in the doors control the windows going up and down. He replaced both latches (730.00!) and my windows work fine now, although the drivers side automatic feature is now screwed up. It goes down automatically but when you try to roll it up it rolls up 6" and drops 3", rolls up 2" and drops 2". He reprogrammed the windows but it still screws up. I have to roll the window up 2" at a time. Passenger side window works fine. Also, before I replaced the latches the door would re-lock even if I opened the door and put the key in the ignition without starting the car. New latches fixed the "locking" issue.
  • jb1950jb1950 Member Posts: 3
    Don't you love the guy saying he never heard of such a problem? I don't even own an Audi, and I've heard nothing but complaints from seemingly everyone owning this roadster, particularly about this window/glue issue.
  • wvelbinger1wvelbinger1 Member Posts: 1
    $3000 BY AUDI DEALER; $1800 AT UPHOLSTERY SHOP. DEFINATELY A MFG. DEFECT. AUDI REPLACED OURS UNDER WARRENTY.
  • dctanzdctanz Member Posts: 1
    My rear window came unglued in a car wash this morning. I am the original owner of the car and it is in excellent condition. I could not believe it when I sat there in the car and watched (and felt) water rushing in the back window. I am going to call Audi Service tomorrow and see what they intent to do about it. Warranty or not, the windows are suppose to stay attached to the car.
  • no_more_audino_more_audi Member Posts: 1
    Rear window on my '01 TT roadster started to separate after 7yrs, this after a long list of other expensive repairs together with Audi 's "couldn't give a damn + let's not inform our customers" attitude has turned me away from ever buying or recommending audi cars again.
  • upscaletoyotaupscaletoyota Member Posts: 1

2002 TT Roadster - Rear window separating from top. I am trying to get all those who have experienced this problem to respond or message me with their end resolution. I am considering filing a claim on my insurance (Geico) so if you have taken this route, please contact me and let me know what your experience was and how it concluded. Thanks in advance for any information. :)