Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica Suspension Problems

Comments

• tmt66tmt66 Member Posts: 3
    I had a severe case of rot on my sub frame. My vehicle was built on April 4, 2004, 4 days after the end of the amended period on the service note. When I called Chrysler to plead my case, I got absolutely nowhere. In fact, they told me it was up to the dealer. So....I called my local dealer. They were very sympathetic, and they agreed to replace the frame at their cost, with only a $100 "goodwill" fee from me. It pays to make sure that you follow up with every lead you can to get this resolved. It's amazing, the change in the overall handling of the car. One thing to note, the hole where the steering anchors to the replacement subframes is slightly off, so make sure they check and realign the car before you take it back.
  • charger3charger3 Member Posts: 210
    Good to see you followed every lead. I was happy to pay 250 on the second one. You did well
    I went to the NHTSA site and found 150 complaints about rusted engine cradles how many does it take to get a recall. I guess if someone drives it till the engine and trans fall out and the steering stops and kills a few people then they will issue a recall. See we went about it the wrong way. Injury or death is all they care about.
  • mrhoseheadmrhosehead Member Posts: 10
    Actually, if you read through them you will see that some have fallen out while driving.
    They lost steering, but luckily, did not crash.
  • squeakyoresqueakyore Member Posts: 1
    Hi... I have owned my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica for less than a year now and recently had it in the shop to diagnose a peculiar noise in the front end when breaking. Upon further inspection, my mechanic found that the sub-frame (engine cradle) was rusted almost completely through on the passenger side directly under where the AC condensation drips. He had me press very lightly on the rust and my finger went right through it. I've contacted the Chrysler Customer Assistance department and they stated that my 2005 Pacifica was not covered because it wasn't manufactured between 2/3/2004 and 3/31/2004. I have filed a safety issue over this because I feel, even though this was purchased used, this was an obvious safety issue and the direct result of the design of the vehicle. I'm posting this information to see if you or others have had any success getting a response from Chrysler as mention of this letter did not help me, other than getting Chrysler to disclose the dates for the extended warranty mentioned, which did not match what was stated in this letter to begin with. I'm just curious, from those who have had success with this issue, what you feel was the final criteria that triggered a positive response from Chrysler on this. Thanks and I do apologize if I've missed other details that might help, but I'm new to this forum.
  • molyneuxmolyneux Member Posts: 31
    Yes, you will find numerous postings on this site about Pacifica frame rust- through. There is a letter out from Chrysler stating that they are extending the warranty on this problem. I can e-mail a copy to you. I would certainly suggest that you report this issue to the NHTSA. I would think that they have a file started on this problem. Personally, my 2004 was outside the "manufacture time" covered. They did reimburse me 80% of the repair cost. You need to make noise. The only problem that I might see in your case is that you did not buy your Pacifica new from a Chrysler dealer.
    Good Luck.
    I bought both my Pacificas used and the 04 was covered. A month ago they replaced my wifes 2005 for 250 dollars. I have owned Chrysler cars from 1969 and they said that made a difference. I also said I would contact NHTSA and the attorney generals office the better business bureau and if that didn't work my wife's law firm would get involved. They called the next day and we settled for 250 dollars. If one person says no call back until you get someone that will listen. It took me 3 calls
  • pboissierepboissiere Member Posts: 1
    Check the lower control arm . I have a pacifica and had a front end noise and checked everything . And changed the lower control arm and the noise went away.
  • chaleur44chaleur44 Member Posts: 1
    Please email a copy of the letter as I cannot open the link. emal: tinapacifico@gmail.com
    Thank you.
  • charger71charger71 Member Posts: 4
    I have an '05 Pacifica with a rusted subframe found during an oil change. Chrysler Assistance sticks with their mantra that "you are outside the build range". Mine was built in June of '04. The service manager at the dealer has contacted Chrysler but says his hands are tied.

I understand that their was an original letter send that did not give VIN ranges. Unfortunately, according to Chrysler my car was registered in Canada so I never received any info from them. Can anyone email a copy of the letter(s) to chrypacifica05@gmail.com?

I have just started this battle!

Thanks!!
    I have a copy if the letter (not with me now) and it has done me no good.
    'If' I could get someone to admit the letter was valid, they immediately state that the letter was superseded by the updated one in 2012. That is the one that states it will only cover 2 months worth of build dates.
    I paid to fix mine and am now doing the letter writing campaign to Chysler corporate
  • anniev49anniev49 Member Posts: 30
    Glad to see that others have had some luck. In fact luck is needed. Sometimes no matter how doggedly you pursue, they ignore you or shut you down. I spent 18 months making noise. Called and wrote every possible contact. Nada. Chrysler had a potential life-long customer and instead made an enemy.
    Letter sent. I don't know why they replaced my 04 and 05 cradle. I guess I was lucky.
    Got this reply from an email I sent to Chrysler:

"Our records show that you have contacted us by telephone and we have
    addressed your concern. We have updated your file to reflect the latest
    information you provided in the email message."

It sounds like what ever answer you get from the first contact remains the party line!
  • mick0212mick0212 Member Posts: 27
    Ugh, you can add one more person to the list of Pacifica owners with rusted out cradles.

I have an '04 with 117,000 miles, took it in for a tire rotation and they spotted it - one end is completely gone and the other is rapidly getting there.

Dreading the quote on this, since I'm pretty sure I'm outside the tiny range of build dates!
    I have seen quotes from $1700 to $2700.
    $900- $1100 of that was for parts
    I feel your pain, but, maybe I was lucky. My story sounds exactly the same as yours - rust out was spotted by a service person at a Goodyear store while I was getting an oil change and tire rotation, ready for a drive from the Cincinnati area to Florida. The service person showed me the one rail completely rusted through and the other getting a good start on rust. At that time I only had about 75,000 miles on my 2004. The Goodyear tech said "do not drive this to Florida". So, off to my Chrysler dealer. It took them a couple of days but the job was done for a little over $1,800.00. Then I went to Chrysler. With the help of the letter that has been circulating on Edmunds, they agreed to reimburse 80%. They also said that I was outside the parameters stated in the letter, but, they were "wanting to support their product". I took the 80%. Now we all need to file our stories with the NHTSA.
  • vabudavabuda Member Posts: 4
    I have also called and had Attorney General call on 3 way with me with NO help from Chrysler. I have a 05 Pacifica that is just sitting in my driveway because it is deemed unsafe to drive. I have to make monthly payments on this still for another 2.5 years! I do NOT have any money to fix this problem and I only have MAYBE 80k miles on it (I don't rem. exact mileage because I haven't been able to drive it since May!) They told me I was out of warranty because of the age of vehicle and they only fixed ones within that Feb/March of 04' range. If anyone can help me to get some assistance on them paying for it I would appreciate it. Sincerely mother of 2 small children with no vehicle yet I pay for one sitting in my driveway :(
    vabuda, I was in the same boat! So sorry to hear your situation. I never got satisfaction, not thru the Attorney General or otherwise. Single divorced parent, underemployed, 2 kids at home. Had to rely on friends etc for a few days; don't live near family. Finally sold most of my jewelry, bikes, sports equipment, better clothes/shoes other possessions to scrape together enough get it repaired by a local welder who gave me a reasonable deal. In the meantime, my Ex was nice enough to loan me our older first vehicle and share his wife's car. I grew up driving Chryslers and really made every effort to pursue this both reasonably and assertively. Shame on them.
    I wrote a letter describing my issue to the owner of the dealership where I bought the car. I was simply asking if they knew anyone at Chrysler that I could talk to since Chrysler Customer Service simply reads a computer screen.

The dealer's service director called a few days later. They offered to cover the parts if I was willing to cover the labor. The labor wasn't cheap, $740, but it was better than the $1700 - $2500 quotes that I am seeing on this forum.

I was certainly worth the postage stamp!!
    Yep, in your case sounds like it was. That's great, and if only that could be a consistent experience for the rest of us. I lost track of how many postage stamps, return-receipts, etc that I sent. It was nearly a year of very polite, clear, earnest inquiries. It didn't matter. They had made up their minds not to work with me, period. After that it was phone calls, Consumer Affairs, Attorney General, NHTSA, etc. There is a random element involved here; a customer is at the mercy of the individual moods and attitudes/prejudices of the people whom he or she reaches. I was very careful not to sound disgruntled (at least for the first year or so... until the car failed inspection and I was really in trouble). Sometimes people take every single correct step, and still get ignored or denied.
    I agree about dealer involvement. I have been a customer of the same dealership for, maybe, 20 years. When I went to Chrysler and they agreed to reimbursement 80%, in their letter to me, they indicated that they had contacted my dealer about my relationship with them. So, good point about going to dealer management for assistance on repair cost.
    Well I didn't buy from Chrysler, I bought from a used car dealership that was an hour away. And it has been 2 years so idk how I would go about that without actually buying from Chrysler?
  • myst1757myst1757 Member Posts: 1
    I would like a copy of that letter, my 2004 is rusted through as well and i have goten no where with them. please send to yborseth@gmail.com ty
    Letter sent
    I just don't understand why everyone gets a different price. Mine was $250 and I see above they paid 20% of whatever price Chrysler decided they would charge. This is just a guess but I think it is against the law to charge different prices to different people for the same work. Someone needs to look into this. You said you would sue me so I will do it for 250 this guy is nice I'll get 20% from him, Joe blow I'll charge 1,500 where will it end?
  • vickie427vickie427 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem could you please send me a copy of the letter chrysler has out
    I can send a copy of the letter but I need your e-mail address to do it.
  • kadinokadino Member Posts: 1
    hi
    if you don't mind could you also forward me I copy of that letter from Chrysler- I just bought a used 2004 pacifica and found out that its too has a rusted/rotted sub frame

thanks
    my email is kadino@optonline.net
  • pacman13pacman13 Member Posts: 1
    Same problem here. Please send copy of letter, if you would, to bargear1@yahoo.com. Thank you!!!
    This is ridiculous how many people are stuck with this expensive repair!! There has GOT to be something we can all do about this? Class action lawsuit? Something because this ain't right that we should all be footing the bill for their shotty materials. It's like they're waiting until we all are over 10 years with the vehicle so they can make an adjustment and say "as long as your car is under the 10 year mark we will fix for you" because all if the problems are happening in our years make and model.. So that will be their way of 'correcting the problem' I am so po'd to be paying for a car that just sits in my driveway useless while I have to use my husbands work truck to bring my kids to school etc. the gas I use driving his truck is outrageous but I don't have a choice because I can't afford the fix!
  • eroberts05eroberts05 Member Posts: 8
    Just had my 2004 Pac. repaired and got it back today for $1910
    Rusted cradle, motor mounts gone, engine strap gone, its a wonder the thing didn't fall out before I found out what was wrong.
    I would like to write to Chrysler a letter and ask for some reimbursement, I really can't afford this. Can you send me a copy of the letter please to eroberts2007@gmail.com ? I would really appreciate it. I hope I am replying to the right person.
    Letter sent. Sorry to some of your posts ended up in my junk mail and I did't see them till now
  • gmk1212gmk1212 Member Posts: 1
    I would like a copy gurtone (at) gurt . com please!

I really appreciate it.
  • t_repka2004t_repka2004 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 pacifica and sounds like the same issue clicking when turning forward or backward...thing is mine is paid off and warranty is expired...what does this cost to fix or is it a recall that i dont pay for..and also where would i take it...any dealer or the place i bought it used
    The issue that all of us are having is rust out of the front frame and engine cradle, mostly on 2004 Pacificas. In my case, I did not have any "clicking" noise. The frame rust-through was discovered by a Goodyear store service person when the car was up on the lift. The right rail was completely rusted through and the left rail was partially rusted through. He told me not to drive the car, that it was totally unsafe. I drove it directly to my Chrysler dealer and had the repair done for $1,875.00. Chrysler reimbursed me 80%. I had bought the Pac new but was beyond the normal warranty time but still well under 100,000 miles.
    Good Luck.
  • wgoodwgood Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone reading this from Canada? Has anyone with this problem in Canada had any luck recovering any cost at all from Chrysler? We were told by Chrysler Canada today just flat out NO to fix our 2005 Pacifica. What cost am I looking at to fix both the cradle and the motor mount? HELP - unsafe to drive! Should I trust my local mechanic where I bought the used car 5 months ago or should I take it to a dealer? Mechanic quoted $2000. Dealership still hasn't called me back.
    The costs are fluctuating widely. A lot of that is because of the region's labor cost. My mechanic told me the repair would be $2000 - $2500 US. That is near Chicago and I would imagine our labor rates are higher than elsewhere. My Chrysler dealer (where I bought the car) did the repair for labor only. Chrysler covered the parts. I also had to replace two motor mounts and two tie rod ends. The total bill was $1500 US. Hope this helps give you an idea of the cost.
  • wgoodwgood Member Posts: 2
    Appreciate the reply. I have an appointment at my local Chrysler dealer in the morning. The service manager said he would put my car up on the hoist, take pics and send to Chrysler but he told me not to hold out hope for ANY assistance. :( Used dealer where I bought my car will give me %6500 for the car in trade in ... that's a loss of $3500 from what I paid a mere 6 months ago. I feel trapped, used and robbed. I wish I could live without a vehicle! :(
    If your going to lose 3,500 and then this guy will sell you a new used car that could have problems. It only makes sense to try to get a loan and get it fixed. By the time your old car dealer adds the loss of your car into a new used car you will be paying a lot more than a loan against your car or house to fix it. I have seen them on the internet for about 460 and up new and then the price to have someone put it in
    What I don't get is why Chrysler is agreeing with some people to at least cover parts but straight out refuses others? I would be happy if they at least covered parts... I mean of course I feel they should cover most if not all of the costs but at least parts would be better than nothing at all. I almost feel as if I should try and call again?? What makes some of these people qualify for parts being covered and some get zero assistance even though it's for the same problem?
    edited October 2013
    I know your frustration they fixed one of mine under warranty and the other was a 05 both were bought used and I just had to pay a co pay I can't remember if it was 200 or 250. They don't play fair with people everyone gets a different price. It is to bad a lawyer couldn't take a few cases and set a precedent for all other cases.
  • estivaestiva Member Posts: 2
    I've been living with this "cancer" since when it was a minor issue, "to keep an eye on it". I just got my oil changed and the Chrysler mechanic now says its a safety issue. Wow, I love this car, but I've had to replace things I've never replaced on other cars, now this. Mine has 133,000 miles on it. I've been reading posts about a letter that extends the warranty out to 10 years or 150,000 miles. Is there another link to the letter??? :cry:
  • estivaestiva Member Posts: 2
    Where you able to get the letter? I tried unsuccessfully with the link. Would you be able to send me a copy? My email address is:

estiva93@gmail.com

Thanks!
  • bluec5bluec5 Member Posts: 3
    I have this problem also. One of several Chrysler does not want to discuss but should. The letter that has been mentioned I printed and called Chrysler Service to discuss. The extended warranty is known as the "X26 FRONT ENGINE CRADLE EXTENDED WARRANTY"> Now for the fine print.....
    It only covers vehicles made from 2-23-04 to 3-31-04.........
    Can you believe this? Based on the torrent of complaints on line they must have built a lot of cars in that month. Mine was built several months later but is falling apart due to the same rust problem. I am waiting for a call back from their supervisor.
    Yes, I for one can believe it, as I have been through this whole miserable process and posted about it here quite some time ago. Chrysler will only do the right thing if the car fits that very narrow window of manufacture dates. It's unconscionable. Would be interested to know if you get better results. Good luck.
    I have a copy of a letter where the warranty is being extended for Pacificas, model year 2004 & 2005. Nothing in the letter about dates of manufacture. Now, I have heard that later correspondence does include dates of manufacture. My 2004 Pacifica, that I purchased in May, 2003, was repaired and Chrysler reibursed me 80% of the repair cost. If you want a copy of the letter I have, e-mail me. bmbernhard@fuse.net.
  • 04chrysler04chrysler Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    After 2 days of hell the bottom line is we all have call the NHTSA 1-888-327-4236 and register a complaint against chrylser.there is power in numbers. please follow thru. Here's my story and I will keep it short. During my last oil change the rotted area in my front engine cradle became apparent. my 2004 Pacifica with only 88,008 miles was at the point that this is a real safety issue. I went to my nearest dealer and once my vin # was looked up I was told there was a warranty extension for some 2004-2005 Pacifica front engine cradles(x26 front engine cradle extended warranty program) however based on my vin # it was not listed as one of those covered. advised I call Chrysler Customer Care to verify if MAYBE my vehicle did qualify. Like most of you Kendra at Chrysler customer care was very polite,however after 10 minutes she told me my car was built 4/23/03 that was not in the period from 2/23/04-3/31/04 when the extended warranty applied. requested a supervisor call- which the next day Jason promptly did again politely stated my build date was not within the period qualifying period. He said they would go nothing because only the National Highway Transportation Safety Assoc. would Force them to do anything... so back to my opening statement ..if we flood the NHTSA with our complaints instead of ranting on the web we may get somewhere. Chrysler is asking $2908.00 for the parts , never mind the cost to change THEIR DEFECTIVE PARTS. where do they get off ignoring all the other cars built with this CANCER.... P'D off in MASS.
    AMEN, Brother!
    My 2004 Pacifica has a manufacture date of 04/03. I purchased it in May of '03, so, it was probably one of the first made. When my rust was spotted in October of '12 by a Goodyear store mechanic, my Pac had only about 68,000 miles. I know that my dealer went to bat for me. My repair was $1,875.41. I had gotten a copy of "the letter" and contacted Chrysler. They did reimburse me 80% of the repair cost. I did file the information with NHTSA many months ago because of the serious nature of the rust-out. Can you imagine how disastrous it would be if your engine dropped out on an Interstate at 75 miles an hour. I would think that Chrysler would be happy to pay for the repairs to avoid a suit from serious injury or death.
  • bluec5bluec5 Member Posts: 3
    I have spoken to the Customer Service Supervisor who is clearly reading prepared answers. In short they will not cover this. They have fixed a few to show concern but if they start fixing many more it will get noticed and they may wind up with a recall. (my view)
    I took the car to a local mechanic with a small shop. He is going to weld some steel plate over the affected areas for $400. I hope this solves the problem and gets me another year or two. Then I will buy another car but certainly not a Chrysler.
    By the way, I am very involved in a large Corvette club for the past 18 years. I attend may car shows and swaps. News like this travels fast!!