Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica Suspension Problems

1121314151618»

Comments

• bluec5bluec5 Member Posts: 3
    I have spoken to the Customer Service Supervisor who is clearly reading prepared answers. In short they will not cover this. They have fixed a few to show concern but if they start fixing many more it will get noticed and they may wind up with a recall. (my view)
    I took the car to a local mechanic with a small shop. He is going to weld some steel plate over the affected areas for $400. I hope this solves the problem and gets me another year or two. Then I will buy another car but certainly not a Chrysler.
    By the way, I am very involved in a large Corvette club for the past 18 years. I attend many car shows and swaps. News like this travels fast!!
  • charger3charger3 Member Posts: 210
    If you search the internet you can get an engine cradle for around $495 new and have your mechanic put it in. Chrysler gets 4.4 hours
  • waroquier2006waroquier2006 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 pacifica and I have been doing research on the engine cradle, Mine is rusted badly and I was not able to link to the letter copy for the recall info from Edmonds site. If you do could you forward me the letter so I can start dealing with Chrysler on this. Thanks for your help Scott waroquiers@aol.com
    I found the letter thanks
    The dealership just called and said my Pac is not covered because I am not the original owner. My Pac build date is 2/04 has anyone heard this excuse before. Thanks
    My 2004 and 2005 were both covered and both were bought used
    The dealership called me last night and said that Chrysler approved fixing my Pac with a $800.00 copay. I know its better then nothing but it seems alot higher then all the other copays. I am wondering if the dealership is trying to hose me on this. They are being very secertive about any contact info with Chrysler. Would you have any suggestions. Thanks Scott
  • molyneuxmolyneux Member Posts: 31
    It sort of sounds to me that they're getting you to pay the labor amount and the dealer and/or Chrysler is picking up the parts cost.
    My total repair cost (parts and labor) was about $1,875. I did get a check from Chrysler for about $1,400 - about 75% of the repair cost. I did agree to that settlement. My repair was in October, 2012.
    On my 2005 the co pay was 200 or 250 I would have to look it up
  • molyneuxmolyneux Member Posts: 31
    It would be interesting to see what percentage of the total cost your $200 or $250 was. It sounds like Chrysler is picking and choosing who they want to send reimbursements to and the amounts seem to be all over the ball park. It just shows that they're not honoring their warranty and standing behind their product. I, personally, will have to think long and hard about purchasing another Chrysler product when my Pacifica is ready to be traded.
    It was 250 It said they replaced 68002938AA Braket brake hose,4746389AH front suspension,4 4880339AB isolator-crossmember and 4 6503245 nut hexFC:part#:count: all (N/C) Then they did a free alignment. I know if you look up the cradle you can buy it for about 495 so you can bet they are getting them for about 250 is my guess. It could be that all I paid for was labor at near 100 an hour
    The dealership said Chrysler would cover the replacement with a $800.00 copay. I was curious what Chrysler Corp had to say about the $800.00 copay because the vast majority of victims they covered had a $250.00 copay. And the guy said what copay your car is not covered under the extended warranty. I asked even though my car was built 2/04. He said it was not in the correct build date of 2/23/04. Mine was 2/13/04.. The guy then said he was going to call the dealership to find out what was going on. I told the guy to forget I called and have a nice day. So I just dropped the car off at the dealership just now and they are replacing the cradle and front struts that are shot.. My luck Chrysler would screw everything up with my dealership.
    Your strut part #5142495AA 128 dollars each and labor 1.9 hours each side Plus alignment but the shouldn't charge you for that alignment because they have to do one when they replace the engine cradle and that should be part of your copay. You will notice the new cradle has drain holes in it so the water doesn't sit in there for five years and rust it out. Struts from Rock auto with new springs and bearings are 148 plus your time to put them in. If the dealer puts in new springs and bearings. Two springs 90 each and bearing top mount about 30 each. I don't see a listing for a complete unit
  • christyw200christyw200 Member Posts: 1

Hi charger3. Can I please get a copy of the letter? I also have the rusted Chrysler Pacifica frame. Thank you soooo much! christyw200@hotmail.com

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

Charger3, you should be able to attach the letter now with the new forums software.

• qwest70qwest70 Member Posts: 1
    Happy New Year charger3...could you also send me that letter please! I just found out about the rust issue today when I tried to sell my pacifica to we buy any car. My email is qwest11@yahoo.com
  • jill8026jill8026 Member Posts: 2

So I am the latest casualty of this catastrophe. In a nut shell I recently got an oil change from an independent place we use who notified us of the issue - the thing is rotting so bad it is leaving metal in our driveway. It is a 2004 with only 65K miles on it and well cared for.

I called Chrysler after finding this thread and gave them the service bulleting information that was kindly posted here. They pretty much told me touch luck - my car was built in 12/03.

I did not give up and finally got someone who said contact the dealer you got it from and see if they will help you and let us know. I called my dealer and he said too bad why are you calling us? I reported that back to Chrysler - who then said to take the car to a dealer and have the work needed recorded and a quote and they would see about a cost assist.

I take it to another dealer (who has been super nice) --- and was given a $2850 quote --- the cradle and 4 bushings and inserts need to be replaced.

I call Chryselr back and tell them what the dealer said - the guy "Jay" says hold on -- comes back 10 minutes later and says too bad you were not included in the extended warranty and your mileage is too high. SERIOUSLY? 65K miles for a 10 year old car is too high? The warranty is effective 2/04 - my car was manufactured 12/03.

So know I have a car I cannot drive - cannot sell -- and cannot trade in.

Oh - but fear not I am not shutting up that easy. I am reporting ever action on all social media outlets --- and am currently waiting back in regards to a Facebook post -- next step will be an attorney and I am considering a class action suit based on my findings.

NHTSA was also called - but it seems they do not take it seriously until someone gets hurt - not sure what the purpose of that is then - you would think the goal would be to PROTECT so no one gets hurt.

If I go through with the legal process and they decide to continue not helping me --- I will let everyone here now --- this is just not acceptable.

• jill8026jill8026 Member Posts: 2

Here is the original letter for those that still need it. Took me a while to find it so thought I would share it. I just submitted a BBB complaint to Detroit BBB --- attached this letter. Also wrote my attorney general and am researching attorneys about the class action suit so those that have paid can get their money back! Chrysler has a few more hours to get back to me about my specific issue and to make it right...if not I will contact attorneys tomorrow.

• rustedpacificarustedpacifica Member Posts: 1

I'm also a victim of this rust problem and am currently fighting with Chrysler, although their customer service recently told me never to call again. Classy.

Anyway, I expect to file my own lawsuit on the matter, but I learned that a class action has already been filed for anyone who is interested. And fortunately, news stations are starting to pick up this issue and run with it. I hope more stations do so. It frustrates me that Chrsyler is spending more than any other company on Super Bowl commercials to reinvent their image while still screwing over their loyal customers.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/Minivan-Owners-Want-Chrysler-To-Concede-Rust-Problems-241535881.html

• science1997science1997 Member Posts: 2

I called Chrysler last week about the engine cradle rust issue, and asked to speak to a supervisor. I was told one would call me back within 24 hours. No one called. Called Chrysler again today, and that person found out my message was never delivered last week. So now I"m waiting another 24 hours. And off to pay a huge bill at the mechanic for a new engine cradle, one that I can't afford. Please sign the petition at change.org about this issue: http://www.change.org/petitions/chrysler-recall-all-pacificas-for-engine-cradle-corrosion-2?utm_campaign=new_signature&utm_medium=email&utm_source=signature_receipt#share

• elbewalkerelbewalker Member Posts: 1

We've also just discovered a rust problem on a 2004 Pacifica. Our mechanic found a "TV remote" size hole in the engine mount - passenger front. They told me not to drive it.

Chrysler Canada had us take it to a dealership for a repair quote. They estimate $7,215 plus tax for the repair and they're calling it a rotted front cross member. Chrysler says it not their problem.

edited February 2014

Sorry everyone edmunds stopped sending me updates. I hope they show up in my emails now

edited February 2014

This is what it looks like

• pcaseiropcaseiro Member Posts: 1
    Complaints at the hstsa website continue to grow. I hope Pacifica's owners flood it and we can see this safety agency do what it is supposed to do

@pcaseiro I hope so too

• sickandtired2sickandtired2 Member Posts: 2
    This interesting my 2004 Pacifica front end has been raggedy every since I've purchased the car in 2012, I cannot tell you how much money I've spent in trying to fix this clunking/hard knocking noise in the front end while driving over rough surfaces, I'm telling you it sounds like the front end is about to fall apart its so bad. I've already replaced shocks, motor mounts, stabilizing links, upper control arms, cv joints and the problem just keeps getting worst. What I don't understand is how can something so obvious not able to get diagnosed?
    Sick and tired of driving into shops replacing parts paying for their service and leaving with the same problem. What else can it possibly be?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What type of repair shops are you using? I'm wondering if you should try a collision repair shop that has the latest in suspension and frame equipment. Anyone ever look at your strut mounts?