Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Safari/Chevy Astro Heating / Cooling

Comments

• rednekwizardrednekwizard Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me where to find a vacuum hose diagram for a 2000 chevy astro, had the same issues with the vacuum lines and replaced all of them from some vacuum scrap I had from rebuilding my camaro and also I need a part number for the rotary wheel that controls the rear ac/heat.
  • bdarbdar Member Posts: 19
    Hi rednekwizard,

I actually have a vacuum diagram for a 97 Chevy Astro. It should be about the same for the 2000 Astro Van. You can actually get it at the dealer. If you go to any Chevy Dealer and go to the Parts Department, they will usually print out any diagram that you need for free. I can send it to you if you give me your email address. So are you having problems with the air blowing out of the defrost?
  • tlsm1264tlsm1264 Member Posts: 3
    Help!! My 2005 Chevy Astro van & need a vacuum system diagram also! Labor Day wknd & have no ac going across front driver panels. Ac works at defrosts & rear but not on front driver/ passenger sides! Hot, Hot, Hot! My van is 6 cylinder Vortec.
    I appreciate your help & enjoy this holiday weekend.

tlsm1264@yahoo.com
    edited September 2010
    Hi Rednekwizard,
    I wanted to say THANK ~YOU for the very valuable information you had sent me via email to my posting on a vacuum system problem with my 2005 Chevy Astro van yesterday. My boyfriend went up to the corner NAPA Auto Parts store this morning and spent $3.50 on some vacuum line hose. The job took just an hour to fix and now my ac runs perfect. Thank you for helping us save $200+ for such as simple repair. You're an angel. Please stay safe & enjoy the rest of your Labor Day weekend. 0:)

Tyna
    Deltona, FL
  • riverdog118riverdog118 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I feel like a bit of an eavesdropper, but I am having an identical problem with my 2001 Chevy Astro van (AC only blows thru defrost and "Max AC" setting blows same as normal "AC" setting). This is after being charged $1600.00 for a new AC system. No, I will never use that mechanic again, I swear.
    Do you still have a diagram of the vacuum system? If so, could I beg you to send me a copy?
    Thank you,

Mike Dugan
    mdugan1@cfl.rr.com
    Hi Mike. I will forward the information to your email address. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner yesterday!
  • latinaonelatinaone Member Posts: 2
    Can someone please email me the diagram also. This has been an ongoing issue with my 2000 GMC Safari as well. Please help.
    rubalcavaaa@yahoo.com.
  • riverdog118riverdog118 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for sending the drawing and for taking the time to detail the repair.
    Very helpful and very appreciated!
  • babcantbabcant Member Posts: 1
    bdar-

I have a 2004 chevy astro with the same problem. The hvac is stuck on distributing air through the defrost. It changes the type of air output (max ac, ac, vent air) but won't move the flaps to change the output direction. If you could e-mail the solution to me that would be great... babcock.tony at gmail.com
  • latinaonelatinaone Member Posts: 2
    does anyone have a diagram of the vacuum hoses on my 2000 gmc safari? If anyone has it can you please email it to me at rubalcavaaa@yahoo.com?
  • groove104groove104 Member Posts: 1
    Could you please forward that vacuum hose diagram to ddelapaz@earthlink.net
    Thanks in advance.
  • andyctcandyctc Member Posts: 1
    Could you please e-mail me the vacuum diagram at andyctc@charter.net
  • englishmom6englishmom6 Member Posts: 1
    2001 GMC Safari Van. The a/c works but will not blow the any air hot or cold out front vents. There is a trickle of air on windshield and floor vents. We already replaced blower motor and dash switches and charged the freon. Front and middle passengers uncomfortable. Rear riders cold, rear overhead air works great.
    Hi~~~
    On 09/06/2010 I had posted a "trouble w/ my front ac vents on a 2005, Chevy Astro van not allowing the ac to flow out" question. The gentleman that assisted me told me abou a possible HOSE problem! That hose problem was NOT a $200+ mechanic job but marely a $3.50 hose problem that took my boyfriend a a short 1 hour start to finish job. Please check your ac hoses....so simple and so obvious that it totally floored me! Best of luck.

Tyna
  • ohmickey63ohmickey63 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having same fan thru defrost vents only problem with my Astro van. Could you maybe help me out as well?
    Thanks so much.
    Hi Englishmom6,

Sorry i didn't respond earlier. I got the email notification about your post, but I forgot to get on the forum and message you. Just post an email address and I will email you the Vacuum Diagram and the instructions on how to fix the problem. This problem is a simple one and caused by the plastic vacuum lines breaking apart and so the AC unit doesn't have any vacuum (suction) to push the air through the vents and it just comes out of the defrost.
    Hi ohmickey63,

Just post your email address for me and I will email you the vacuum diagram and the information on how to fix the problem.
    Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to post my instructions for the vacuum line repair problem where the air blows out of the Defrost Vents only and not the front vents. It is an annoying problem, but certainly very cheap and easy to fix with a little work and some cheap parts. I also have the vacuum diagram, but I am not sure how to post it on the forum so if you need a copy, just post your email address and I will email you a copy of it.

I have the vacuum Diagram for a 97' Chevy Astro and from what I understand it should be the same for all the upper model astros and I think the GMC Safarri's as well (But I am not sure about the GMCs). If you are having the air come out from the defrost and not from the vents, you should check 3 critical areas. So I will try to explain it to you as best as I can. So if you are standing in front of the Astro and open the hood, you would look to your left hand side first. There is a big black box like thing all the way to the left (and that is the ac blower fan). Right beside that, there is a medium size silver canister that should have tubes coming out from it. That is the AC condenser and that is where you would recharge Freon to the car. Right next to the canister (on the right side, tucked in a little) you should find some sort of a t-connector with three vacuum hoses connected to it, Once should be going into the firewall (the wall of the car going into the vehicle, one should be going down towards the bottom of the car, and the other should be going to the right. Most likely, the one going to the right is the one that is broken. That one passes to the right by the alternator and other things on its way to the engine manifold where it connects in. That area is extremely hot (when the car is on) and that is why those vacuum lines tend to break down quickly (Thank Chevy for their stupid designs, LOL). It may take some bending and moving with your hand to get into those tight spaces to reach the other end of the vacuum hose. They sell replacement vacuum hose/tubing at Napa Auto Parts by the foot, and they have vacuum connector heads in multi-packs at Auto Zone. Basically, you will have to build your own new vacuum tube with a head on each end, one to connect into the t-connector and one to connect on the engine manifold. I would make the tube a bit longer so you can position it away from the hotter parts of the car and you can use plastic strapping ties to secure it so that it doesn't get caught in any gears belts, etc.

That should solve the problem. If it doesn't, I would check the second line from the t-connector going down to the bottom of the car. That line connects into the vacuum ball underneath the car. The vaccum ball is located underneath the car by the right front tire (in the same area as directly underneath the condenser. So you would have to get on the ground and slide underneath the car (Head first) and look with a flashlight underneath the front and you will find the vacuum ball. It is a round plastic ball thing and it should have a vacuum line connected to it. Check the line and also check the ball for any cracks, etc. If the line is bad, change the line and then if the ball is bad, you can get a new one from the dealer and I also think AutoZone has them (Check their website). The ball clips on with two clips/screws to the metal of the car and you would have to pull away the plastic flap of the wheel wall to see those two screws.
  • rab23465rab23465 Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2010
    I would also like a copy of that diagram. Is it possible that you could send me a copy of it as well? Thanks for all you help on this topic. send to: bbeckwith@shaw.ca
  • tchesebrotchesebro Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for your very helpful post.
    Please send me vacuum diagram for 2000 astro. Thanx
    tjchesebro@mac.com
  • josmoke21josmoke21 Member Posts: 1
    please send pic of vacuum line fix,thank you
  • 97riv97riv Member Posts: 4
    Have read the forum on Safari heat and cool problems. My problem is after starting the the van it throws heat when the temp. gauge is half way up to normal operating temp.Once it warms up to normal operating temp. the air goes luke warm and sometime cool,and once in a while it will throw hot air. It is hit and miss but normally it is cool air.I am going to change the thermostat today and see if that works.I have owned 3 of these vans and never had this problem ,just the rotted vaccuum which is common with these vans.Very good forum!
    Any ideas on this problem. I will post tommorrow about the thermostat change to tell if it was the problem. :confuse:
    It wasn't the thermostat? I tore everything I could apart, the heater lines are hot ,the damper door on the passenger side stays shut till you put it on A/C then it opens.The vaccuum actuated mixing valve seems to work O.K as the arm goes up on full heat position and down on cold position.Every morning I start the van and it clears the windshield (we have frost here now ) the temp. gauge goes quqrter qway up then it stars to blow cool air? Could it be the heater control resister heats up and goes to cold? I'm stumped.
  • tstormtstorm Member Posts: 10
    Are you sure the coolant level is full?
    :lemon: The coolant level is good.I found out my rear heat works fine, as I use it for a work van and don't use the rear heater,but have been lately to keep he van half warm.As I said before, lots of heat at the front till the temp. gauge goes to around 1/4 on the scale, then I can hear the blower speed up and the cool-to cold to luke warm air starts.When it first starts this it will cycle hot cool for a bit then just cool air. I'm sure it is the control that heats up and it is like turning it to cold, as it opens a damper to let the cold air in, I just don't know wher this damper door is?I know there is one by the passenger side where the heater core cover is but don't believe that is the one? Soon as E-Bay has the right control (rear defrost) at a reasonable price I will purchase one and try it.
  • gss56gss56 Member Posts: 1
    Could you send me a copy of the vacuum hose diagram. I'm having that exact same problem with my 98 Astro Van. Thanks!
  • daryllittledaryllittle Member Posts: 1
    bdar,

Can I get a copy of that vacuum diagram?

My e-mail is daryl.little@daryllittle.com
    Thanks
  • jtoldastrojtoldastro Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info. Please email me the diagram as I have just started to have this problem.
    joldfin@gmail.com
  • mstickwoodmstickwood Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have this exact same problem and I found the broken vac hose. I just need the diagram to run a new one, could you please e-mail it to me at matthew.stickwood@hotmail.com thanks a lot
  • kitara229kitara229 Member Posts: 1
    please send the diagram to kitara229@gmail.com

thank you, we've had this problem for way too long. it will be great to get it fixed.
  • ericakaren86ericakaren86 Member Posts: 1
    please please forward that diagram to me as well or maybe post a link to it on here....we have looked all over and can not find this diagram ANYWHERE!!!

I would really appreciate it!
    Thanks

ericakaren86@gmail.com
    Post # 213 has the vacuum diagram.The vacuum line that usually needs relacing is a small line about 1/8" and runs from behind the accumulator (silver can) on the passenger side to the motor behind the A/C condensor.It's hard to change without removing the engine cover but can be done as I did mine 2 months ago.
  • nosferatu1968nosferatu1968 Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if you got it fixed yet but the most common problem with the fan motor is either the fan itself or, most likely the governor switch..it's located on the heater box under the hood. Has a plug going into it right next to the blower fan. The coils corrode and break...These are your speed condensers..:)
  • rab23465rab23465 Member Posts: 9
    It still is not working on the high speed. Hasn't for a couple of years now but only on the first two settings. Is this the type of problem that could easily be fixed by replacing the govenor switch? Is it something that one can install or change easily with little mechanical knowledge? Thanks everyone for much information about the various problems with the heater contorols.
  • duecekdduecekd Member Posts: 19
    Had this problem on a '92 GMC Safari. It is most likely the high speed fan relay located on the firewall above the fan box on the far left side of the engine compartment looking at the firewall. There are 2 relays there, and I don't remember which one, but if you trace wire harness on plug, it should lead to the fan motor. You can get this part at any parts store or the dealer for fairly cheap. The replacement may not be exactly the same shape, but it will work fine. Just make sure its attached to the firewall or the frame for a ground. Good Luck, it's too damn cold not to have "HIGH"!!
  • geraldlgeraldl Member Posts: 3
    Heat from vents blows luke warm or cool air. When van idles or I come to a stop, air blows cool. When I accelerate, air becomes luke warm but not hot. When there is stress on the engine going uphill, air sometimes stops blowing from vents, but when I remove my foot from the accelerator, the air comes back, but still luke warm or cool air.
    Replaced radiator, new radiator cap, new radiator fluid, replaced thermostat, replaced heater core, replaced water pump, mechanic checked all vaccumn lines and performed smoke test on vaccumn lines to check for leaks, replaced T where vaccumn hoses connect and a few other minor parts, but still the same problem. Mechanic says he doesn't know what else to do.
    I getting tired of taking the van back & forth to the mechanic with no results. Currently 228,000 miles. Can anyone solve my problem?
  • 8poncho8poncho Member Posts: 1
    2005 Astro, read many of your blogs, looked at the diagram, opened the hood and patched the hose in 5 minutes. Thanks, if I could buy you lunch, I would.
  • winkledorfwinkledorf Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my vents not switching, its stuck in the defroster position. I will try your written instructions but if you could please send me the diagram of the vacuum system.
    God Bless,
    Sincerely, Mike Evangelista
    emailto:winkledorf@hotmail.com
  • blakelobergblakeloberg Member Posts: 2
    i have a 98 astro and i took many of the inside panels out for shelving on mine the rear heater core is right behind the driver seat and i think the panel just pops out. i have not tried to take mine out but i did have a mechanic recomend just bypassing the rear heat since mine doesnt work anyway.
    but ussually its not that hard to get them out sometimes its a pain if you have to take the hole dash apart
  • blakelobergblakeloberg Member Posts: 2
    yea mine did the same thing it was bad i had a small crack on my windsheild and it cracked all the way across cause i couldnt change it turned out the vacumm line was right under the hood on the passenger side up by the firewall
  • jockohjockoh Member Posts: 3
    could you please explain how to do this, where do you cut and what do you do after you cut,and how do you fill the hole that will be left after the job is done thank you for your time
    If you still have that diagram for the vac hose could you please send it to me via email
    please send to r.secord@gmail.com
  • scottcb1scottcb1 Member Posts: 4
    I don't know if you still reading threads on edmonds, but I am having similar problems with my 96 astro awd with rear a/c heat installed. I am losing freon fast, [about 1 hour and presure gone after putting some in] I can't hear it leak out but it has to be a BIG leak somewhere. Just want to ask someone before I try tracing this down and dissasembling VAN all the way to rear of vehicle. Any shortcuts, advice, suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
    ScottCB1@Live.com
  • billiam3billiam3 Member Posts: 1
    That is great you found the diagram! Could you please send it to me? billiam49ers@yahoo.com
    That is great you found the diagram! Could you please send it to me too? ScottCB1@Live.com
  • voxon4voxon4 Member Posts: 2
    Please send me a diagram , have a nice weekend.
  • jstnfields240jstnfields240 Member Posts: 1
    i was wonderin if you might be able to help me. i own a 96 chevy astro 2 wheel drive 4.3 liter . my vacuum lines are a mess and the ac blows fine in the rear but only comes out of the defroster. i dont think its a switch but something isnt getting enough vacuum to open . ive looked under the doghouse and the line is secured to the top of the engine , it goes across the top of the engine over the alternator and just stops, i can hear vacuum but i cant figure out where this hose goes.i live in the high desert and it gets 110 degrees in the summer. so air would be great. please help me thank you
    I would like to help you out but I don't have a clue. I asked several people on this board for vacuum diagrams that are floating around, but no one ever responded to me. perhaps you will have better luck than I did. If you do get this diagram would you send me a copy of it, it sure would help.

thanks,
  • geraldlgeraldl Member Posts: 3
    I believe you may be correct when you are guessing vacuum problem. However, I have no solution. Please note that if the AC has the correct amount of Freon, the AC will kick on and off frequently. When the AC stays on forever, it typically means there is not enough freon. The only remedy I can think of is to let a mechanic test the vacuum lines. If you have the time, check for old/cracked/dried vacuum lines/hoses. Especially where the lines connect. If dried/cracked, replace the vacuum lines/hoses. Also make sure the fitting of the hoses are not loose. Good luck.