Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Safari/Chevy Astro Heating / Cooling

1234568»

Comments

• kdowneykdowney Member Posts: 6
    Awsome. I just did the exact same thing and have much more air blowing on all settings. I may even have heat now, but won't really know until it gets cold out :confuse:
    Replaced a couple other ones that were looking shabby as well while I was in there.. :shades:
  • old_fogeyold_fogey Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    I have found my broken vacuum line (L shaped ends) under the hood. Is the end that has to be connected to the intake manifold located on the left, or right side
    of the engine when viewed from the front of the car.
  • jim481jim481 Member Posts: 4
    Its located on the right side of engine. I accessed mine from inside vehicle.
  • kdowneykdowney Member Posts: 6
    I too found this hose. I think it ran from my firewall to the EGR valve or something. Either way it was practically disintegrated. Now I have SOME heat. Still not perfect.. :confuse:
  • thevoice2thevoice2 Member Posts: 2
  • thevoice2thevoice2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 safari van i have replaced the water pump and thermostat and the motor dose not heat up to put heat out the heater in side unless u drive it about 10 miles or more can any one help with this
  • thevoice1thevoice1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 safari van i have replaced the water pump and thermostat and the motor dose not heat up to put heat out the heater in side unless u drive it about 10 miles or more can any one help with this
  • sortofsortof Member Posts: 3
    I too have this same problem !! 95 astro van I have replaced the thermostat! The dealer that I WENT TO ONLY SELLS THE FACTORY RECOMMENDED 90 DEG. so I bough a 170 deg. at auto zone thinking of taking a trip across the desert and wanting a lower operating temperature doing so and the motor still dose not heat up to put heat out the heater in side unless u drive it about 10 miles or more ??/ so if you resolve this before I do ??/ sent some feed back as to the problem??/ and I well do the same !! Steve
  • gservegserve Member Posts: 1
    There is little to no heat on the front heater. Rear heater works fine. What do I got to do to fix this?
  • ptolleyptolley Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the detailed description of the vacuum line repair to my chevy astro!! the repair took me about 20 minutes including the autozone stop. Thanks again!!
  • matt777matt777 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. Is it possible for me to get an email of the Vacuum Diagram & instructions also?? Please & Thank you!!

[email protected]
  • loudawg11loudawg11 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All. My 98 Chevy Astro was not heating up front for some reason(rear was heating). So I replaced ALL the vac lines
    (which did work a few years ago) and still no heat. I even replaced the 6 port coolant valve plus the the rear vac control 2 port coolant valve (for the rear heat) and still no heat. Then I remember the events from last winter / spring leading up to it not working. (1.) we had to turn the temp control knob almost all the way into the blue (cold for the a/c side) because it was so hot in the van. (2.) We could hear a slap noise under the passenger side floor board if we turn the temp control knob to far in the blue. (3.) Then it took awhile before the heat would come back almost 5 min. It was either hot or cold no warm. So I removed the cup holder/glove box and the engine cover to gain access to the BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR mounted right under the passenger side dash between the black plastic heater core cover and the engine cover. It was lockup in the closed position(for a/c mode) The actuator is held in with (2) 5.5mm screws with a 3 wire plug. It was a $45 part at my autozone. Now the heat is working again on any temp setting. Hope this helps someone else.
  • bil253bil253 Member Posts: 2
    Okay, I have read numerous posts here about this heater/AC blower problem and I have changed the blower motor and fan, replaced blower resistor (twice) and the pigtail to the resistor, unit worked for most of summer, then one speed, (again!) now it does not work at all again, and it seems like the same 2 connectors on the plug going to the blower resistor are always cooked. Any suggestions? At wits end and it will be cold soon in Illinois. Thanks.
  • sortofsortof Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2013
    It could be (possibly not probable) Your fan could be laboring with erratic speeds that also would mean that either shorting out in the motor ( Brushes,barrings ect,)or That the fan isn't grounded well enough??/ A simple ground strap to firewall will take care of that??/ Simply that some of those fan shrouds are fiberglass and it doesn't allow the screws to do the grounding and even with the metal ones they put so much foam sealant in between the fitment area between the fan And to the firewall??/ Sometimes the that amount of resistance will send the current looking for alternate routes??/ Isolation between wires (connections at terminals) will also affect the current direction??/ Or if you only replaced the resister once since you started hunting the problem it could have been a bad resister right off the shelf ??/ Its been known to happen??/ Was it a generic ??/
  • bil253bil253 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, believe it was generic, purchased from Pep Boys, will try the grounding idea, being as that seems the only thing I have not tried, also seem to remember someone on another post mentioning something about soldering the connections from the pigtail rather than crimping. About ready to try and bypass with a relay and have only high speed on fan.
  • pawscoffeepawscoffee Member Posts: 1

I have a 97’ GMC Safari. I have replaced the water pump, Radiator, thermostat. But what the Problem is. If I turn on the heater (to hot) I can hear the door, blend door open and close but there is no heat. And if by chance it starts blowing hot I have to fill up the radiator .

• srdzfsrdzf Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 chevy astro I changed all the vacum line blower motor blower motor resistor the condencer now my problem is that I when I put it on a/c or max a/c little air pressure is coming through the vents but it is cold what can cause this problem? Help!!!