Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• mblanscetmblanscet Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out if the 1998 Expeditions are all California emissions compliant. We are buying in the Southeast region.
    And, is 15,500 a good deal on a lease trade in 1998 EB Expedition in excellent condition with 33,000 miles.

Thanks
  • abwndabwnd Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 Expedition XLT 5.4L with 6500 miles. I rotated the 17" General Grabber AW tires at 4000. I've clearly got "outside tire feathering" going on and I'm being told by the ford dealership that this is normal (Alignment is perfect - they checked) and that there is nothing that can be done. I've gone all the way up the chain at the Dealership.... Help!!! Do all Expedition do this? Is this normal? Anyone else have similar experience? Where do I go next?
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    SUVs are hard on tires. Your tires carry a lot of weight and abuse and yet your tires must be strong enough for off-road use, which makes them stiff and not as flexible as passenger car tires.

Ask around and find out which independent alignment shop in your community is considered the BEST. Take your Expy there and have them check your alignment. If it isn't "normal", have that shop document exactly what they found, but also have them re-align it. Then send a copy of the shop's findings to your Ford dealer's service manager and ask him to pay for the alignment. At least the dealer will know you're serious, plus you'll KNOW your alignment is what it should be.

OTOH, if your alignment is OK, your only option is to rotate your tires more often, say every 4000 miles. If you buy tires from Discount or Big O, rotation is free for the life of the tires. They will also re-balance at every rotation if you request it.

On our last SUV, I rotated tires every 4000 miles to compensate for the extra wear & tear on the front tires. I intend doing the same on our new Expy.

Good Luck!
  • keskes Member Posts: 7
    My wife drives a 97 xlt with @74K miles. no problems but she now has fever for a new rig. A local dealer has a 2K BE still sitting. not optioned exactly as desired but close enough. I see info @ a 3K incentive to dealers and that there was no hold back? I already have them at invoice minus the 3K (which is $33300). Are there more incentives that I am unaware of. reading this thread it seems to indicate further back that people were doing even better than this. its hard to fight for more if you don't know the facts. Trade on her loaded xlt is 17700 and the dealer is at 14K - that is since the truck is constantly detailed - including the engine compartment. any insight is appreciated
    Dealers have TONS of Expeditions out there. The last thing they want is yet another one.

The lower price you get them to agree to on the new one, the lower the trade-in will be on your '97. Its what they do.

the best you can do is try again to push them into giving you a better trade, or sell the '97 yourself. Seems to me you're getting a pretty good price on the EB.
    thanx for the input. I am satisfied with the $ on the leftover - just wanted to see if there were more dealer incentives that I was unaware of. It is aggrivating to take such a hit on the one she has though I see the market is saturated with used units. If she had time to sell on her own I know she could get another 3K pretty easily - thats still well below retail that would be on a lot. So tell me - is that Rickc5 as in Vette. signed kesZR1. thanx again
    All I wanted as a handle was RickC, but Edmunds gave me the RickC5. Guess that are/were four other RickCs out there before me, maybe more after. My Vette days are over. The Expy is my wife's vehicle (like your's). I have a Lexus ES300 as my daily driver/

Don't forget that most Ford dealers are also offering VERY low interest rates on loans. Ford has its own credit company. I think ours is 2.9% for 36 months. Almost free money.

We traded in a '98 Isuzu Trooper in near mint condition with about 30K miles that listed in all the price guides at $17-18K wholesale, but only got $14K as a trade-in and felt lucky to get that. Had offers of $12.5K from a couple of dealers.
    sorry for the misread on that handle. Guess I've been around vette's too long. Appreciate that added info for comparison - Her xlt has a trade value in NADA of 17.7K - give them 700 for new rubber to get 17K. best we can get is 14K offer and her payoff is 16K:-(. The 13K-14K offer seems fairly consistent he - several dealers and types of cars i.e leftover continental and 300M too. so we know the price we're at on the new one (i.e cost+) no one wants her truck on the lot and are calling wholesalers. 300m seems best bang for the $. but I like her and the baby in the exby - + hers has served us well. But alas - she must be the one that is happy - her car - her bill. I appreciate the feedback though - helps me think.
    You didn't mention where you live. We live in Aurora, near Denver, and all my stories relate to Ford dealers in this area.

The dealer we wound up purchasing from (after visiting four others) split his holdback with us, resulting in an additional $650 reduction in price from the invoice. This was over two months ago, and the best deal we could find then.

4x4s here in Denver are literally spilling out of the dealer's lots, both new and used. Rising gas prices and a declining economy, seem to have taken their toll. No more "dot-commers" with boat-loads of money to spend I guess. This is why dealers here don't want used 4x4s as trade-ins.

However, that little trick of establishing the value of your vehicle by calling the auctions/wholesalers is yet another slimy dealer ploy to convince you that your trade-in is practically worthless. They do it here too. We're buying a Ford, with an Isuzu to trade-in. The dealers all said "we'll call the Isuzu dealers to find out what they'll give us for your Trooper". Of course, since Isuzu is in the tank, Isuzu REALLY doesn't want more used Troopers. Hence the low bids.

The only way I was able to get $14,100 as a trade-in was to assert that I had another offer of $14,000 on the table (I didn't). So I got a little more out of the trade. I hated to lower myself to their level, but if that's how I have to respond to keep from getting screwed, so be it.

Last Sunday, Courtesy Ford (one of the John Elway/Autonation chain) ran an ad offering $8500 off the MSRP on ANY new 2001 Eddie Bauer Expy. However, its really only $7600 unless you're a new college grad ($500) and are going to lease AGAIN ($400). Still, not a bad deal!

Good luck!
  • hdlouiehdlouie Member Posts: 8
    Rick, I did have the 17" Firestones but took them off after the first 100 miles and put on Goodyear ATS's on which are truck tires. I should have sold them before the recall of the 15's and 16 inch tires.

The shocks took the bounce out and the swaybar took out the body roll.

My X handles ok now, a little stiff but that's what I like. And corner great for it's size.

Sorry it took so long to reply but I've been working too much lately.
    The added feedback certainly helps. The wholesaler call tactic seemed somewhat palatable from a few of the non-Ford dealers since the market is indeed flooded and they are a common item. We are in Mass. BTW. I went with the mrs to drive the 2K last night - wanted to feel how the load leveling differed. She went to put down a deposit to hold for a day so I walked the back of the lot. Found an xlt with the 4.6 , no options and 67K miles that the dealer has tagged at $23K. My point now, and to her after, was that they plan to put her truck on the lot and would be trying to pull in a min of 11K over what she is being allowed. Told her to do as she wishes but that I can't stomach that scenario. Personally, her 74K mile loaded 97 xlt (xpt no leather) has been great vehicle. its just a bit(by comparison to the no mile 2K) rolly and rattly at the moment. I think I could make her happy with some new rubber (Still has the original rubber - tread there but round and dry), some shocks maybe (Aftermarket) and a rear end rattle search (its either the third seat or the rear door). Your info re the 2001 incentive is very intersting to me - I now think if she had patience she could just sell hers outright for trade value and get one optioned her way for a couple K more (wh/ she'd get selling herself). BTW - the 2k has 17" F*restone Wilderness on it - now I was always a michelin, goodrich fan anyway -but... thanx again.
    Found out from a couple of the local dealers that the stripped 1-2 year-old XLTs showing up on the used market here in Denver are Ford's rental units. No wonder they look as if they've been ridden hard and put away wet. THEY HAVE! And still, they want pretty big bucks for them.

A final thought.... With a '97 and 74K miles, you just might be entering that "nickel-and-dime" zone, where your truck has frequent small problems to deal with. From past posts here, a lot of the older Expys seem to be plagued with minor bugs.
    Very intuitive. not that I consider it uncommon with any vehicle at this age, but your comment is What I believe my wifes core fear. Though I tend to do all our work I can, it can still add up. I already mentioned the rubber, she just changed the idler pulley and tensioner. the bearings were getting a bit noisy - its was just time. I think I hear the alternator bearing getting ready - again short money but time. I will need to change a front ball joint before the next inspection. Yes, all minor items that aren't real expensive but.... With her expy I think she is at the point were you either 1) move it and move on or 2) just keep it up and keep on driving it. It's not that I am unfeeling as to her concerns but I am used to driving cars and trucks with 100-180K miles and just doing what you need when its needed. Though I can't say I wouldn't feel a bit better with her and than new baby in a low mile warranted vehicle. I hear(2nd hand) that the exby is due for a revision in 2002. the back of my mind wants her to hold out and see whats coming. I haven't been able to verify the info yet.
    According to something I read on the web (I believe it was on Blue Oval News), the new Expy will debut in mid-2002 as a 2003 model. Improvements in aerodynamics and (something else) should give a 2 MPG improvement in gas mileage. So, we can expect a new body, but what else is unclear at this time. That's over a year from now.

Also, call me a cynic if you want, but I would never buy another new vehicle in the first year of a new model run. Even Toyota can no longer get it right the first year any more. Check out both the Tundra and the Sequoia topics. More niggling problems than you can shake a stick at.

OTOH, looks like you could easily keep her old Expy going for another year for $1000-1500, even if you don't do all the work itself. That's a lot cheaper than payments on a new one.

I've gotten spoiled as I grow older. I used to work on cars ALL the time. It was a hobby. No longer. After I passed 50, working on cars has practically lost all its appeal. Oil changes seem a drudgery. Anyway, should our Expy reach the point somewhere down the road where I enter the .05 & .10 zone, I'll send it down the road in a heartbeat, as long as I'm still working, and/or can afford to. The market is KILLING me.
  • auld_reekieauld_reekie Member Posts: 2
    I have a couple of question. I would like to know why my expedition vin says 2000 and my manual says 2000 but the vehicle I bought was 2001. Would this bother anyone? Am I over reacting? Is this Normal?
    I would sure be trundling down to my dealer and asking some VERY direct questions. Doesn't sound right to me. Good luck!
  • sstaylorsstaylor Member Posts: 35
    Greetings,

I have a '98 Expy with 44K miles, and I am experiencing a clicking sound coming from either the transmisson or the throttle linkage when shifting from 3rd to 4th. Has anyone else out there heard this?

Thanks,
    SST
  • jjmd1jjmd1 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 98 Expy with 38,000 miles, bought it at 33,000. I already have replaced the rear axle actuator (?) 1000 miles ago. My engine light came on an d now I was told that I have a bad O2 sensor. I was wondering if there is a separate warranty on the emission system in the Expys. Also, has anyone else had this problem?
  • jjmd1jjmd1 Member Posts: 14
    One more thing that I forgot to ask....
    Are you able to buy replacement floor mats, especially the front driver and passenger mats? How much? Thanx
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Usually (I haven't looked at my warranty book) the emissions warranty is 5/50. I think it is an EPA regulated part of the warranty that they require manufacturers to provide.
    You should be able to order the replacement mats from the parts dept.
    sorry no reply recently - been layed up with a Virus - still am. The mrs almost ended up with a 3oom this weekend out of frustration. not that its bad car - just not the room for a family as the exby. armed with your recent info plus reading blue oval - she has been trying to work out deal on a 2001. found out that along with the 1500 national rebate there is a 1500 Boston area dealer rebate - problem is none of the dealers here want to acknowledge the local dealer incentive. I imagine its a result of slow moving sales and that the truck plant has intermitantly closed 2nd and 3rd shift. Actually saw an EB with gray leather. thought couldn't do that - I never cared for the tan interior (my opinion only no offense intended)
    Funny you should mention the tan. I have long been repulsed by tan interiors - I could never understand why someone would want a tan interior. My wife was the same way. Now we have an EB, and love the tan. There are still lots of bad tans out there, but the EB is really kinda nice.
    I was wrong on the emissions - EPA guidelines are 2/24. Ford goes to 3/36 on regular duty vehicles, 5/50 on heavy duty. Some parts on regular duty vehicles are covered for 8/80; catalytic converter, electronic emissions controller, onboard diagnostic device. The numbers are different for California.
    Dealers REFUSE to discuss rebates/incentives, unless you come fully armed with all the data, and THEN they say "oh yeah, I guess we are offering (whatever)." Interesting...

Tan vs. grey interiors. I've had both colors over the years and finally decided that I prefer tan. We spend a lot of time inside of our vehicles, and I concluded that the grey just wasn't a "warm" color. But that's only a personal opinion/preference.

We test drove four Expys before choosing one to buy. The interior color I liked least was the "dark graphite" cloth offered on the XLT with the sports package. Way too dark for me. The grey leather is much nicer and I have also seen one EB Expy (out of about 50) with the grey leather.

Hope you're feeling better. BTW- What's a 3oom????
    I usually don't bring things to the dealer other than a custom spread sheet I use to show them cost etc. In this case sending her alone (while I was layed up) I copied the notice of both the national and regional incentives (total 3000) two dealers are giving her a hard time saying the regional doesn't exist or is the same as the national (despite different periods and that the regional amounts across the country differ). I really wished I could go with her - I used to enjoy "the game" but alas I think I'm getting too old . The 300 M is what I meant. A chrysler model. large sporty sedan. very nice for what it is. And re: the tan. again, personal preference. My wife and I have both always "hated" tan interiors opting for gray and black. I had a 90 Zr1 in tan and got used to it. My wife said she wouldn't mind the EB (but she is getting frustrated I think) I'd like to see a gray EB in the daylight. I'm wondering how the gray interior would "compliment" (sarcasm) the gold/tan trim and running boards. I'm thinking I wouldn't care. though at the moment - I just want this over so I can get my taxes done and spend time playing with the baby . We also saw one with the 2nd row captains seats. Really liked it. But with the baby and our desire to have her in the center of the rear - both for her protection and her ability to see out the front - and ours to see her in the rear view. we think the bench is the way we need to go for now. Hey!! Maybe in all this she'll find a dealer that will tell her the 5.4 will get 22 mpg around town, after all - I could really use the fuel savings;-)
    Verbal jousting (haggling) is almost a lost art in this country, and getting rarer (not PC, I guess). Heck, I even ask for better deals when buying home electronics and other expensive items. It never hurts to "push the envelope" a little. I've actually gotten some really good deals by just asking for them.

The EB we saw with the grey leather interior was Wedgewood Blue on the outside and I wasn't repelled by the beige trim. Our EB is Estate Green, with tan interior (of course). We narrowed our color choices down to two: the Estate Green and Wedgewood Blue. We had about 12 green EBs and five blue EBs to choose from at one dealer. Chose one that had the free sunroof package and the other options we wanted.

Another thing re: the 2nd row captain's chairs. I'm not sure, but I believe when you fold them, you don't wind up with a flat floor. You have a big gap between the seats. I REALLY like the flat floor we get when the bench seat is folded.
  • carguy5000carguy5000 Member Posts: 146
    I put one on my '00 EB about 4 months ago (the way these things are depreciating, I figure I will have it for awhile) and I must say the most noticable thing that the filter aids in is, at normal highway speeds, it is less likely to shift out of overdrive with the slightest touch of the gas pedal. That alone is worth the $50 for the filter. Highly recommended!
    BTW: if you change your filter every 12k, and the over the counter price for a decent paper filter is $15, over 60k and the thing pays for itself!
  • awaiawai Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I just had our son (4 months old) and we are looking for a different vehicle. My wife wanted a mini van but I don't think just because you have a family, a mini van should be the car of choice. Anyway, we decided on an Expedition. We test drove a 4.6L and a 5.4L expedition. There is no comparison: the 5.4L had much faster pickup than did the 4.6L. I want to get the 4.6L because I would think that the gas mileage would be better that the 5.4L. I want the space the expedition provides but I also am conscious of the gas consumption. I heard that the horsepower on the 2000' 4.6L has been much improved. Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Michael
  • mbridermbrider Member Posts: 2
    Awai,

I had a 99 Expedition with the 4.6L and I now have an 01 Expedition with the 5.4L. If you get an Expedition get the 5.4L, the 4.6L just doesn't have enough power for a vehicle the size of the Expedition. I have not noticed any mileage difference between the two different Expeditions and when I'm towing the 5.4L actually gets better mileage. If you don't need the size of the Expedition for things like towing you might want to look at some other vehicles. The new 2002 Explorer is really nice and will get better mileage than Expedition while still having a third seat. The Acura MDX is a nice compromise between the minivan and SUV worlds but they are very popular right now and it will be difficult to find a good deal on one. Toyota has the Sequoia and Highlander which are nice but both are pretty expensive right now. If you decide to go with the Expedition there are some good rebate and financing deals right now. Have fun with your shopping.
  • jilonajilona Member Posts: 2
    We recently purchased a 99 EB with rear audio controls. My problem is that when the headphones are plugged in and the speaker on/off button is pushed to activate the headphones all the speakers go off. The book says that the front speakers are supposed to stay on and the back ones cut out. I have tried to figure it out and am supposed to take it to the service dept this week stopped by to see if a salesman could help me out or see if he knew what it was supposed to do but he couldn't figure it out either. I was more than disappointed to find out that the front and back couldn't listen to different things(radio/cd) at the same time salesman told me that is only on 2000 and 2001 but now I can't listen to anything if the kids have on the headphones. They love to wear them and it keeps them quiet but I want to be able to hear also. Any info would be appreciated, also any general info on 99 EB'S would be helpful (problems, warnings, things to look for) Thanks!
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    A few years back I took home a 1997 Ford Expedition XLT with every option. When I got home I started to test out all of the new options when boom, only the speakers or the headphones could be listened to at one time. What a rip off! 30 something thousand vehicle and a simple function that just doesnt work. Why did the dealers say that it is possible? Who knows. Anyway Im glad that you purchased a Ford Expedition and believe me you will enjoy it over the next few years.
  • jrdg1961jrdg1961 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy a 2001 XLT. Does anyone have an opinion on the 4x4 as the 4X2. What's the difference in gas mileage, etc. Also, I can but o the x-plan which is 4% above employee A-Plan and just below dealer invoice. I assume that Ford must incent the dealer to participate in the plan, sooo should I be able to negotiate off of that price and hte dealer still be ahead if theywere to sell at invoice to someone off the street?

Also what is the deal on the different drive train options (e.g. 3.31, 3.55. 3.75 and some with slip differential. Where can I find good technical help on this?
    We are really excited about buying one. Buy the way, live in outside philly and we don't get too much snow

thnx
  • frankno1frankno1 Member Posts: 68
    Having bought a 2001 Expedition 5.4L 4X4 with all the bells and whistles on it I can think of and use. I love the vehicle, I drove it from Columbus, Ohio to Wichita, Kansas in a terrible snow storm in December 00. I fell in love with the AWD and never had to use the 4X4 drive at anytime (but is was there if I needed it). A lot of people don't like 4wd because it cost a little more but I wouldn't go without it especially in the wintertime. If someone doesn't want 4wd thats ok also as it gives them a little more towing capacity. I definitely would not even consider the 4.6L engine. Hope this helps
  • naiglebnaigleb Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 2001 black XLT with sport package (couldn't resist the price). I have choosen for the 4.6L engine since I do not need to tow anything, and fuel consumption was a concern. I would like see if this board has any experience with modification like the Poweraid throttle spacer, and the Airaid filter.
    Do you see an improvement in the mileage and power ?
    Gas mileage is more dependent on vehicle weight and aerodynamics than 4x2 vs. 4x4. However, you could probably expect to get slightly better mileage with 4x2, perhaps 1-2 MPG. In case you haven't read lots of the older posts on this topic, gas mileage on these "monster trucks" is only about 12-14, with some folks reporting as high as 16-17 or so with the 4.6 engine.

Dealers here in Denver have been offering Expys at less than invoice since January. We paid $650 less than invoice for our 2001 EB.

Different axle ratios (like engines) are offered so you can choose what you need depending on your usage. For example, if you are going to tow a trailer or a boat, you'd likely want the 3:73. OTOH, if you did most of your driving on the highway, with no load, on flat ground, you might want the 3:31. Here in Colorado, the 3:73 Limited Slip is practically a no-brainer, with the altitude and mountains to contend with. Try and find a knowledgeable sales person to assist you (good luck!).

Personally, I went for power, torque, acceleration and speed, and chose the 5.4 engine with the 3:73 LS differential. Lots of folks seem unhappy with the 4.6, and if you were to opt for the 5.4 and then the 3:31 axle, that also might be a poor combination, if you valued acceleration.

Try and test drive as many variations as you can. Don't be afraid to PUNCH IT to see how the different trucks accelerate, etc.
  • pwaspwas Member Posts: 34
    I also have 2001 XLT 4X4 with the sport package. I am very happy with this engine as well as the gas milege. For anyone just doing the regular driving on highway and city its fine. As long as your not towing. Actually the 4.6 is smoother and quieter than the 5.4 engine.
  • klkrauseklkrause Member Posts: 96
    I actually found that the 5.4 was smoother when I did comparison driving ..

just my 2 cents!
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    I hav 2 questions. I have a 97 Ford Expedition XLT and have read that the PCV valve needs replacing when the car hits 65,000 miles. I already have 80,000 miles and still dont have a replacement. Is it really neccessary? Also, can anybody tell me how many total watts the stereo has? I have one that says premium on the lids but it is not the MACH. Thanks
    Today I went to the Ford dealer and test drove an 2001 EB 4X4 with the Load Level Suspension and a 2001 XLT No boundaries 4X4 with the 5.4 engine. My conclusion the EB with the LL suspension rode a little better and Steering/handling had a better feel (fighter). Is there something different in the steering system? Also the 5.4 engine(BE) seem quieter than the 5.4 in the XLT. Is there better insulation in the EB? In the XLT you are riding higher because of the standard suspension. Steering is a little bit more difficult in the XLT (17 inch wheels) The 5.4 in both vehicles did have better pick up than my 4.6 engine, Not much more. Also I never mentioned that I have the regular axle, on my 2001 XLT 4X4. not the Limited slip axle that I see most of them come with. What is the disadvantages and advantages of having the non limited slip axle ? I have not seen a Expedition with out a limited slip axle. Mines is the only one i have seen so far. When i bought it i didn't pay it no attention.
    What Exactly is the horsepower for the 2001 expedition 4.6 engine ? I thought 240 but I was reading a ford brochore and it said 215 and some of the car website say 215 ? The Dealer was telling me 240 when i bought it back in oct 2000. Please help me. I have possibly been misled.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Well, Just 6 months into our 2000 Expy EB 4x4 and the Ford Quality :( ,I mean lack there of, has reared it's often seen head. Been having a knocking noise from the front end. Long story short. Out of alignment Chewed up the R front tire and the other we had rotated to the front during our first 12k miles. Dealer serviced and rotated better than scheduled and was not picked up despite my complaints of the noise. It has never been aligned properly and came off the truck that way. I just hope it can be aligned. Had to take it to Goodyear to figure it out. New rattles are springing up every day. Boy I sure am glad this is my Wife's car. I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder that puts this Expy to shame in build quality and reliability. I have had the PF over a year and still not a rattle or a mechanical prob!
  • sencsenc Member Posts: 44
    I have a 2001 4.6L XLT 4x2 with 3k miles. Transmission feels like it's slipping when going from stop to moving(and on dry ground!) Has anyone experienced this problem? I know there were problems with the Trans. in the 5.4L Exp. but had not heard of any with the 4.6L. Is this common? What is the solution? I'm taking it in tomorrow. I guess I get to rent a Focus again....I need to buy one to drive when the Exp. is in the shop...

ps: Had rear-axle replaced at 400 miles, been flawless since, but I'm in no mood for this. My confidence in Ford gets weaker every day...
    Returned yesterday from a 1,500 mile road trip in our new 2001 EB. All freeway driving on relatively flat ground. Gas mileage ranged from 13.5 to 15. Everything worked as expected, zero problems. Very comfortable on a long, boring trip.

However, I discovered I have the problem where you have to "squeeze" the last 3-5 gallons of gas into the gas tank. Frustrating and uncomfortable when its cold & windy at the gas station.

Also noticed some sensitivity to head winds and cross winds, but nothing serious (where you felt the need to drive slower, for example).
  • bear36bear36 Member Posts: 10
    I'm hoping to get some responses from folks out there who may have tried some of these modifications. I've already put a K&N filter on my 2000 5.4. Gas milage improved about .5 miles per gallon and I have observed more power, faster response at higher RPM's. However I am still looking for more power and efficiency out of the engine. Like an earlier poster I am interested to know if anyone has put on a Power aid throttle spacer or other type helix device and the results. I've read claims that state as much as 2 more MPG and plus 20hp 30 torque. Also, cat back systems seem to be the next logical step to enhance power. I don't want noise just more power. I understand Gibson makes a good system for mid range RPM's that doesn't make alot of noise. Anybody have experience with Gibson or other brand cat backs that are quiet and still provide good power and MPG increases? On other boards I have read comments from Expy owners that switched out exhaust systems and found little or no difference (although they had brands I never heard of) some even say there has been a decrease in power. Other posters have responded by stating the in the 99 Expy, the exhaust was already tuned so well for the truck that most after market systems don't improve over the stock. Anybody hear that before? Also isn't the 1999, 2000 and 2001 drive train pretty much identical, I think it is? If anybody else has increased power and efficiency I'd love to hear how you did it. Also I know there are (or at least I think based on some posts) some dealers that cruise this board, what are your thoughts and how do these things effect warranty, I am told cat backs and K&N's don't, but what about the helix devices?

thanks
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    In an effort to provide some negotiating strength to those shopping for Expeditions, I thought the following information might be of help. On the other hand if your considering GM's full size SUVs, they appear to be significantly growing in appeal and popularity.

I compiled this info from ai-online.com for a response on another site and thought the readers here might find it of interest.

All sales figures are in units sold for the months of Jan and Feb 2001 compared to the same months in 2000.

FORD: 2001 vs 2000

Explorer/Mountaineer 54,277 vs 73,840 down -26%
    Expedition 27,494 vs 31,683 down -13%
    Excursion 5,238 vs 7862 down -33%
    Navigator 4789 vs 6215 down -23%

GM 2001 vs 2000 (GMC, Chevy and Olds models combined):

Blazer/Jimmy/Envoy/Bravada 49,950 vs 59,371 down -16%
    Tahoe/Yukon 40,113 vs 27,253 up +47%
    Suburban/Yukon XL 31,061 vs 28,974 up +7.2%
    Escalade 2084 vs 3788 (The sales for the Escalade were almost exclusively in Feb. for 2001 as this is a new model and sales were very minimal in Jan. compared to 2000. If you doubled Feb sales (2x 2723) and compared to Jan/Feb 2000, sales were up +43%).

FYI: The Sequoia is not in the same league in sales at 9,494 for the first 2 months of 2001, however it is an up and comer. Time will tell if they become a real competitor to the full size SUVs from Detroit.
  • ranwinranwin Member Posts: 15
    Just received my Expedition on Monday, April 9, ordered February 26th. Has tan interior. I have noticed the dash board is a darker tan than the door panels. Is this normal?

Also arrived with 4 1/8-1/4 inch scratches in colored paint beneath clear coat above the rear tail light. Any idea if this can be fixed?
  • bear36bear36 Member Posts: 10
    On my 2000 EB the door panels and dashboard match and the leather matches real close to the panels and dash. The carpet, floormats and cargo bay floor covering are darker but match to each other.
  • stage3stage3 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if it possible to remove the head restraints on the rear captains seats. When they are folded down the fronts seats are restricted from going back all of the way.
    Our 2001 EB has a much darker (tan) dash than the rest of the interior, except the carpet, which is also quite dark, but not the same shade as the dash.

The dealer will most likely respray a large section of your rear fender to "fix" the scratches. Personally, I wouldn't let them do that. Your best bet is to have them give you some touch-up paint and try to fix it yourself. I've done body work (MANY years ago) and there's just no way to make scratches look new again.
  • mjensen1000mjensen1000 Member Posts: 1
    The fan on my '98 EB always runs and living in Fargo you can be certain the engine is cold at startup about 7 months out of the year. Is this common?

Also there is a vibration I can feel in the floor when traveling over 15 mph. When it is in park but running a vibration can be heard. Like a piece of sheet metal underneath the drivers side is loose. I can't see anything loose underneath. Advice? Thoughts?