Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville Electrical Problems

Comments

• jamila3wld1jamila3wld1 Member Posts: 5
    can the maf sensor cause my car to shut off and stall when trying to start ? i just dnt want the run around paying for this and that. my funds are short and i need to no the real problem lol! did the ignition control module start after you got the sensor replaced or was that also a problem from the start ? whats the ciol housing? thanks
    where was the switch located? i no you have a 2000 and mines a 1997 but i would like to check for that also? thanks
  • azuazu Member Posts: 84
    Disconnect MAF sensor. If the car doesn't stall then you have a bad MAF sensor. Just note that the car will run a bit rough and a check engine light will light when doing this.
    ok i have a big problem right now can some one please help i mite repeat some things but i want to give all details for best help!
    PROBLEMS:

1.car starts then shut off after a couple seconds (symtoms)-run hard kind of shakey then turn off.
    2.some times power goes out also then come right back on after couple minutes whenit shuts down
    3. my tail lights will not go out
    4.autozone test came back maf sensor
  • jdowgjdowg Member Posts: 1
    Hi i can prob help you with the windows not working, but the a/c i am not sure mine just stopped working on my car its 2004 bonneville but anyway i left my windows down when it rained and it shorted out the side door panel modulator i went on ebay and found it for 15 bucks its the drivers side one it has the door locks and everything else i replaced it and bam everything works now! i always remember to leave the windows up now lol hope this helps, also did the mechanic say the fan blowers fuses blow did they test it cause its really ez to check yourself under the backseat in the jumper box even there are 3 fuses i think one for blower and two for a/c maybe give them a look remember to disconnect the bat before messing with the fuses,
  • azuazu Member Posts: 84
    Replace the MAF sensor. If you have to you can disconnect the sensor to get around a bit. The tail light problem may be the brake light switch sticking or went bad.
    Ok I was told it was my fuel pump I thought that a bad fuel pump can only stop the car from turning over or starting.. My problem is when I try to start it it do turn over for a couple seconds then cut off the power also then u wait a couple minutes then it some times start right up and stay on or as soon as I press the breaks it shuts off again I'm lost I'm go replace the sensor to day but u think it mite be more then one problem I want to take it to the shop but they always do stuff to your car to come back I'm sure if it what can I do?
    just wated to share thatthe car cutting off with these symtoms:power off at start,shut off after seconds started with power turning off also.. it was the starter wire it was running hot had to be changed now doesnt shut off. as for the parking light problem staying on i had a switch put in to turn on and off as i need. so far so good right now
  • hcbrhcbr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Bonneville - was running fine. Went to bank, came out and it would not start. The dash lights come on, but nothing when the key is turned. You can jump it from the starter, and will run 2-3 seconds and just die. Suggestions??
  • landpilot51landpilot51 Member Posts: 7
    There's a 2nd positive wire that runs from the battery + side to the center of the cowl area. Generally, you can move that connector around (at the battery) to get it running. I eventually replaced that cable (approx $45 at GM) and all starting issues went away.
  • mdeciphermdecipher Member Posts: 9
    I had a Pontiac do that years ago = fuel pump was failing

Although your problem does sound more electrical
  • jefferyodjefferyod Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    my battery has been going dead last couple of days or so I thought, I tried to charge it today wouldn't start, was still dead...jumped it wouldn't do anything, all of a sudden gauge went to fully charged started and drove fine...drove about 10 mins gauges went nuts, a/c quit, running rough now won't start again...checked battery is fully charged and good...checked ground by battery under back seat and the one on the frame by starter...am I missing something I have to get to work in the morning PLEASE help! :cry:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    edited July 2011
    Your car is 2000 and newer...

Check the ground on rear floor. Remove and clean then retighten.

Check the connections on fuses in the holders under the rear seats. i recall some have found loose connections there--might do that with the ground wire removed...

Check same on the fuse holder in the front... Doesn't the power wire go there and then to the starter?

Could just be defective battery-post cracked. Bridged inside.... How old is battery?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jefferyodjefferyod Member Posts: 2
    2001 checked ground on rear floor one up front changed battery still same thing
    Check for tightness on the back floor fuse set on the clips that the fuses go into. I don't know if you unbolt the box and lift it to get to understide or how. I recall someone men tioned that as source of their problem in Bonneville long back.

The gauges and things going crazy sounds like a drop in voltage symptoms some people have when the battery gets old or bad. But you have replaced battery. Check the end of the positive cable to be sure battery acid didn't seep into it from the battery post and corrode something.

I would check the 2nd positive cable going from the battery to the top of the firewall. I had intermittent issues until I replaced that cable. Since then, no issues at all, except finding a brake caliper mounting bracket to convert from drum to disc on the rear of my SSEi.
    >I would check the 2nd positive cable going from the battery to the top of the firewall.

Is that on a 2000+ model that has that cable? I know the 92-99 models had one going to the Relay Center for fuses and relay power!

The main cable on 2000 and up goes to the front fuse relay center by the AC accumulator--right fender near front. I need to look into how the power goes from there to starter and others.

• joejoe35joejoe35 Member Posts: 2
    I have an1997 Bonneville with the same problem,I was just wondering did find out what problem was.
  • joejoe35joejoe35 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 1997 pontiac Bonneville that won't start,was working fine,all the lights come on when I try to start it up but nothing happen,I can jump it from the starter,but it goes off after a few seconds
  • jbv22570jbv22570 Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I have an '02 Bonneville with 90K miles. For the last 6 months or so it has been giving me trouble when trying to start the car. The problem definitely seems tied to the electrical system, as the dash lights often will not come on when I turn the key, and if they eventually do, only then will the ignition engage and start the car. We used to be able to "trick" it into starting by turning on/off the radio, rolling down a power window, or locking/unlocking a door--seemingly "waking up" the electrical system. That no longer works, and now it's taking sometimes 3 or 4 minutes of waiting to see if the thing will start. I'm afraid I'm going to get stranded any day now. She's my only source of transportation with 3 kids...anyone else had similar issues that can help me figure out what the problem might be? Needless to say, I'm not rolling in $$$ so I'd like to avoid a trip to the mechanic if it's likely a loose something-or-another or a part that I can troubleshoot/replace myself. (I'm a gearhead in disguise.)

Thanks!!!
  • jbv22570jbv22570 Member Posts: 2
    I also tried my other 3 regular keys and the Valet key, same result, so I know it isn't the transponder in the key. The only light that comes on in the dash is the "P" (Park)...and sometimes the security light flashes but not consistently. I do have a water leakage problem in both front floorboards and the trunk...typical Bonneville. :-/
  • carguymn37carguymn37 Member Posts: 1
    My speedo, tach, turn signals, and DIC have stopped working on my 2000 SSEi. I took a couple of dash panels out to get to my Cig lighter to see why that wasn't working. After that the speedo and tach quit working.

Any ideas?
  • mikey127mikey127 Member Posts: 1
    did u ever figur out the problem? i em haveing the same problem with my 97 bonneville ssei
  • tfensketfenske Member Posts: 1
    Hi - after trying everything we unhooked the battery (positive and negative) and let it kind of re-set. (we had taken the dash apart, disconnected the security system, etc - pulled our hair out!) Bingo - it worked. Hope it works for you!
  • tcaldertcalder Member Posts: 1
    JUST REPLACED DRIVERS DOOR MOD AND EVERYTHING WORKS UNTIL I SHUT THE DOOR AND THEN NOTHING WORKS.
  • clothednblackclothednblack Member Posts: 1
    Keyless entry only locks and unlocks fuel door, no power to auto locks but windows do work and all fuses check out good. no horn beep from locking with keyless no door chime from the dash. seat doesnt always move to set position, back up lights didnt work, lights wouldnt flash with keyless and so on.

I trouble shot and found the broken wire that controled the locks/seat memory/alarm/lights flashing/ect. little purple wire under the seat coming out of the carpet to the wire loom that connects to the slider that moves with the seat. everything works now.

hope this helps someone. almost everything is tied to going under the driver seat.
  • santrellacsantrellac Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    3 months ago my blinkers started blinking slow and then stopped..what could that be? now this week my dash lights and break lights went out changed the fuse worked for a little while maybe 20 min then blew this happened 2 times what could that be need help
    Slow blinking may be corrosion on a bulb base or poor connection there. Remember there are some running lights on certain H-body models that are part of the circuits so check those bulbs and holders as well.

As to the brake circuits blowing a fuse..., that might be related if you're getting a short to ground through corrosion on the bulb holder. Time for thorough inspection of the whole set of bulbs on the front and rear.

ok thanks i will try all bulbs tom when i inspect what should i look for new to this trying to fix my car on my own money low
    Looking for corrosion in the socket or on the bulb metal.

The bulb holders twist about a quarter turn to remove and then the bulbs push into those holders. On the rear, the taillights have little nuts on studs holding the taillights onto the body. Remove those, the taillight unit pulls out, and then twist to inspect each bulb in its holder.

ok i found out why the dash and tail light was blowing i pulled the radio fuse and it hasnt went out i think i have a short on or around my cd player now to the blubs so the blinkers will work fingers crossed
  • diytosavediytosave Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2013
    Hi my name is Dan, Now I have done some leg work. By putting a test light between the neg cabel and the battery I have found that there is a maxi fuse on the firewall that say turn sig, horn, trunk when you pull that fuse the light dims down. Any ideas what is drawing the power??
  • craddoxcraddox Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi and I love it! I have had a weird problem though. The traction stability sensor comes on every time I begin to drive the car, followed by the Check tire pressure sensor. I know the tire pressure is fine as I check them weekly. The traction control though can kick in anytime it wants and the car thinks it is losing traction so the auto-braking comes on, pretty scary when you passing someone on the highway and all of a sudden your breaks apply themselves especially on snowy or rain soaked roads. The sensor shows the messages all the time the car is running, yet the traction control is an off and on thing, you never know when it will engage.; Luckily I don't have to do much highway driving, mostly in town where any flare ups are simple to control.

I should mention that the drivers seat heater stopped working about the same time all of the problems started. Any thoughts or solutions would be appreciated.
  • shortdoggshortdogg Member Posts: 1
    I have exact same problem, now it kills the car too, the whole DIC suts off, then car dies. GM replaced something under the seat but then called and said its still doing it, need another 500$ to diagnose it again.I took it home. It starts when i jiggle the fuse box under the hood, but doesnt stay started. DIC says everything the above guys just said. My back drivers window wont close all the way so the carpet on the floor is always damp,.not a puddle, but damp. I have a 2000 Pontiac Boneville essi. I really dont want to bring it to anyone else before I personaly find out whats wrong with it. I dont want to be told theres a magical fairy under the hood again,.lol..
    Sounds llike your connector at the wheel for the wheel speed sensor is corroded and not making contact, good contact, on one of the wheels. Or you have a wheel bearing loose enough it's affecting the wheel speed sensor inside. I suggest you go to each wheel and disconnect the connector and clean and reconnect. Check each bearing for noise and for play. The in and out play should be less than 0.005 in. That's in and out along the axis of the hub, not the wobble test usually talked about on forums.

My first bearing that went out had given some odd signs before my tire place mentioned my hub was getting some play in it. They mentioned that the Stability System code would show in the DIC when the bearing move enough the wheel speed sensor lost count. I had parked on a slant at a garden store. And when I left the stability system was applying one brake as soon as I got up to 15 or so mph. I stopped car. Turned it off for a minute and then restarted and everything was fine. But still got an occasional Service Stability System warning. Replaced bearing with Timken from Autozone and all was fine. Then the other wheel bearing started doing the same thing ending in replacement finally.

If you don't find what you're looking for, you can pull the fuse for the ABS and disable it. But it is a safety feature.

I recall reading long ago that some Bonneville owner had a similar problem. He disconnected battery under seat and then went through the various fuse blocks under back seat and tightened connections including the clips that contact fuses. Same thing for the underhood relay/fuse block. He solved the problem. It may have been the actual bolts to the positive supply under the hood that helped. I can't find a stored link to that post from a few years back.

When my Bonneville was just going dead on me, it turned out to be the smaller power cable from the battery to the area above the firewall. I replaced that cable and we haven't had a problem since. On the traction control, it started happening after the CV joints were replaced, so I suspect the wheel sensors on that issue. It's a great car with a terrible electrical system. Sorry that Pontiac went out of business. Glad that GM dealers still carry parts.
    >n my Bonneville was just going dead on me, it turned out to be the smaller power cable from the battery to the area above the firewall.

What year is your Bonneville with that cable as the problem? 92-99?

• jillchiljillchil Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 Pontiac Bonneville Anniversary Edition that sat up for about seven months. I'm a fix-it girl, so I decided to see if I could get it going. I got it to running easily by working on the battery, adding water, cleaning the terminals, and installing new posts.

The car has had a few electrical issues over the past five years. I think a seal around a door is bad, because the car stays damp inside, sometimes with water on floorboard that i have had to shopvac out (not heater hose--checked and is good). I imagine that the moisture is causing part of my problem. I'll list the problems below:

1) Headlights stay on even after car turned off, key removed, and will stay on until the battery dies. Not as in the twilight sentinel way, but as in they stay on until the battery is dead.

2) Radio/CD Player has issues of flipping around, changing stations, being unable to control from either the actual unit or the steering wheel controls.

3) Dash Panel was working as recently as yesterday. Now the speedometer and rpm gauges are messed up.

Even though the problems above exist (and drive me crazy--I have to unbolt the posts to the battery every day I go to work, grocery, anywhere, to preserve battery), the electric seats still work. The power windows work. The electric antenna works.

I'd appreciate any advice... if you don't mind, when you mention a place to look, be pretty specific, because I don't know everything by professional name.

Thank you so much--jill
    The radio problem could be a result of corrosion on the ground busses on each side of front seat floor under carpet edge when you take off doorsill. It's about even with the front of the seat. The buss bar is wrapped in electrical tape.

Or it could just be the radio going bad.

The water problem may be the watershield plastic layer on the door over the metal. It's glued to the metal with a black mastic that looses its stickum. The shape of the mastic stripe is to lead water into the drains to feed bad toward the outside of the door. This is all under the inner part with the upholstery on it. The water comes in around the glass and drips down and is supposed to be kept away from the inside by the plastic layer. If not, you may find water tracks below the rubber seal to the inside of the door after rains that hit on that door when the car is outside.

The water may be from sunroof drains: got a sunroof? On the newer body in 2000+, they could break where they went through the floor and leak water inside.

I have also read about some few folks finding their intake for the HVAC that's under the plastic cowl with the slots in it when the hood is raised is no longer sealed. So rain water finds its way inside around the heater air intake opening.

The headlamps, well that's what I've been tryng to find my 98 service manual to look up. They may have retained power on your cars. Does it have the feature where inside lights, radio, headlamps, get turned off after about 12 minutes if you leave them on? That stays on until a door is opened or it runs out of time.

I believe that's controlled by a body control computer. I don't know where it's located, yet, til I find my 98 FSM to look it up.

And you may have a bad headlight switch with the twilight sentinel. I'm trying to think how that would bypass the retained power limit of 10 minutes because you say yours stay on permanently. I would think the retained power would turn the headlights and everything else off at that 10-12 minute mark.

And your two gauges now don't work. The Pontiacs had trouble with corrosion on the contacts where the gauge cluster slides into the contacts. And that may be from your water.

But the thing in the back of my mind is that the battery may not be up to snuff. Low battery voltage will cause some computers not to operate right. So I'd have the battery checked. The running down may have damaged a cell or just age may have damaged it along with sitting.

So I'd start with a known good battery. If there's one you can substitute for troubleshooting purposes that would be good for your efforts.

Other thoughts on leaks are that some Bonneville owners find water leaks on the trunk lid around the air dam if equipped and around the taillights. One even found a leak through the wheelwell housing inside the trunk due to corrosion and the tire slinging water while driving. He used aluminum metal to rivet in place and then sealed her up. But the point is check your trunk.

edited June 2013
    You've given me a lot of good places to start. I'm getting on tis tomorrow and will let you know the results...

Thanks!

ETA: Will start with battery check with good battery.
    Then will replace light switch.
    Then will check out module under driverside carpet.
    Then will pull radio to see if it's a corrosion problem.

I can do this!

Getting her ready to sale, so these are issues I want repaired so that the next owner doesn't have to fight it.

Thanks again, imidazol97
    The light switch needs to be checked electrically before replacing. You may be wasting money if you don't. The problem is it's in a circuit that complicated by having a body control module that may be bad--or may be reacting to low battery voltage or a bad ground.

The buss bars:

I'm still looking for my 98 manual with circuits on the headlights that may help. Or at least to find out where the body control module is.

I still recommend cleaning your battery connections for ground and positive, especially between the positive cables themselves. Clean grounds where small black wires go to the front fender from the battery connection.

And making sure you have a good battery in the power spot.

Again, THANKS, especially for the photo. Will post results as soon as I figure this out; your advice has been priceless!
    Which headlights stay on? Brights? DRLs--dim brights? Low beam?

There are several parts to the headlight circuit. AND lots of pages of troubleshooting. It really needs to have a Tech II type device that can track what's turned on and off. There's a headlight switch. There's a headlight relay if your can has a certain option, which may be twilight sentinal. Thre's a MALL which is the control module.

One thing I'd suggest is see which lights are on.
    See if it does it the same day or night (put a black cover over the sensor on top of the dash for the sunlight so it thinks it's night).
    If you pull the dash pieces off to remove the headlight switch, disconnect the headlight switch and see if the headlights stay on under the control of another of these relays and small computers.

Did you check grounds? Loosen, clean, retighten?

Did you substitute a good battery to be sure you've got adequate voltage?

• alleycat12alleycat12 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1992 Pontiac Bonnivlle and it acts like it wants to start and does not start, I also put in a new coil and i had the modulator tested and it was fine we put the part in and still no spark can you tell me what the problem may be?
  • alleycat12alleycat12 Member Posts: 2
    hi i am having electrical problems my car tried to turn over and there is no spark. any suggestions?
  • edarredarr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Bonneville and have been having the same problem others have had with the car stalling when turning on the rear defroster. I have cleaned the comb splice that is pictured on post #197 and also on #43. I started the car and the wires and the metal comb stay cool until I push the rear defrost button. Immediately the big wire in position A heats up and gets extremely hot. I did not leave it on long enough to stall the car. When I turn off the rear defrost the wire instantly cools back down.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows what wires are running to this comb splice or does anyone have an idea of what is causing the wire to heat up. I have a feeling it has something to do with the ignition switch... with the battery connected and the key in the ignition the door chime sounded. When I unplugged the wire in Position a the chime quit. Any ideas...?

Thanks
  • benritt76benritt76 Member Posts: 2
    I replaced the rear shocks on my mothers 2002 bonneville. Shortly after that her alarm went off for about 30 seconds and then shut off. She had not hit the panic button. A couple hours later she left got gas then the car wouldn't start. It turns over but won't fire. We sprayed starting fluid in the throttle body and it ran really ruff for a few seconds then quits. I tried pushing the gas pedal during that time and nothing happens. She does not have the funds to take it to the shop, so any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.
  • brandon45070brandon45070 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a problem with my dash lights on my 2003 bonneville se will not come on. My shift indicator lights come on but speedo lights, rpm lights, and other gage lights won't come on do you guys have any ideas
  • aharrod30aharrod30 Member Posts: 5
    @ benrit76 is the sea light on, I had the same problem in my 2000 Bonneville, and it was the crankshaft position sensor. I replaced that disconnected the battery first before replacing because of not the computer will think it's still bad. Start there, could be a bad fuel pump and modulator. I had to replace fuel pump, modulator, ignition coils and sensor in mine when it was doing the exact same thing. Good luck.