Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Sebring Warning Lights and Problem Codes

Comments

• wooldridgejkwooldridgejk Member Posts: 2
    We recently purchased a 2000 Sebring convertible 2.5l V-6. Shortly after I changed oil the Oil Pressure light began blinking at idle. Was not overly concerned as light went off if RPM went over 500 and did not have any valve noise. Oil levels checked ok. Problem was intermmediate but has gotten worse. Light is now remaining on at higer RPM (goes off at 1500) but still not having any other problems,(Oil levels OK, No burning oil smell, no valve noise, no check engine light). Have heard that the oil swich on these models has been a problem. Is this something I should be concerned about?
    Thanks
  • jsamplejsample Member Posts: 2
    Could a faulty fan belt cause the "service engine soon" light to come on? 1997 Chrysler Sebring convertible JXi, one owner (me) and have had nothing but problems with this car for almost 10 years now.

Thanks for any help.
  • mic11mic11 Member Posts: 4
    That just happened to my 99 jxi. Do you know what the problem is?
  • joejxijoejxi Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1998 jxi with the exact same problem. Oil light started coming on at low idle and has now progressed up to 2000 rpm. The Dodge dealer says my oil pressure is
    26 pounds at idle. I had the switch changed and it was ok for four (4) days! It rapidly progressed back to staying on at 2000 rpm. Dealer says change the switch again. I declined. The newer 2.7L engines apparently have a sludge problem. I am beginning to think that the pressure sensor is getting plugged up. Have you found any cause or cure yet?
  • wooldridgejkwooldridgejk Member Posts: 2
    What weight oil are you using. Had taken to mechanic to have the pressure verified and they indicated that engine did have low oil pressure and would probably need a ring job or overhaul. The poor man's repair was to switch to a lighter weight oil and so far that has worked. Was using 10-30 and swiched to 5-20.
  • joejxijoejxi Member Posts: 5
    My oil light continued to come on so I returned to Dodge/Chrysler dealer. They were right about replacing the sensor again. I had work done at my local garage where I was told that it was a simple job and they could do it cheaper than the dealer. When they put the new sensor in they apparently tightened it with a pair of pliers, fracturing the seal between the metal and the plastic. It leaked oil and would not activate the switch. I have the old unit and can see the marks on the plastic. Chryslers price for replacing the sensor was $10 LESS than my local garage and has a one year parts/labor warranty. L&L all is now well.
  • jimrapjimrap Member Posts: 2
    I suspect I need to replace the Oil Pressure sensor on my 2002 Sebring sedan with a 2.7 V-6 as the low oil pressure light comes on at low idle. Is this easy to replace? I am fairly mechanical so willing to try.
  • ohldepharteohldepharte Member Posts: 2
    Had same problem at about 50 - 60,000 miles on 2002 Limited conv. Lite would come on for a couple of days and then go off for a few days. Eventually, lite came on and off several times per day. Never did know why. I did have some vacuum lines replaced because of a check engine lite coming on, and the air bag lite has not come on since. Go figure
  • jimrapjimrap Member Posts: 2
    My low oil pressure light was fixed by replacing the sending unit. Buy the part from a dealer though as aftermarket are not reliable. Must first remove oil filter, then 3 bolts to take off a small shroud that protects the sending unit. I used a Crescent wrench to remove the sending unit and it was very laborious; but it did fix the problem.
  • qackqack Member Posts: 1
    Did you need to raise the car up to do get at the oil pressure sending unit? Also, is there enough room up there to put in a tee and a second pressure sending unit which would be attached to a real oil pressure gauge? I still want the idiot light to work as an idiot occasionally drives the car!
  • nitekappnitekapp Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday my check engine light came on. When I got back in the car and started it the air and the radio would not come on. Started it a few more times and everything came on. Engine light went off. Got home to the mailbox turned the car off and all of the dashboard lights came on. The ignition was off. Key was not in the ignition. Tried to start car and guess what it did not start. Someone please help me. I haven't checked it today. Is this electrical or something else. It's attempting to start but it's not starting.
  • hds2hds2 Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased an '06 Touring with 19k miles. Several times over the past few weeks the panic alarm has been activated when I've used the keyless entry to unlock the doors. For whatever reason, this has only happened in the early morning at home; I cannot get the conditions reproduced anywhere else or at home when I return from work. The alarm does shut off when I pull out of the driveway and reach 15 MPH. I cannot turn the alarm off by pressing the red panic button on the keyless entry device. Any thoughts?
  • nykiordan1nykiordan1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Sebring Convertible 2.7 V6 engine with the same problem. I checked the oile and it was loose. I could take it out without a wrench. I bought a new one ($7.00) and replaced it. I also changed the Oil pan Gasket (it was loosing some oil) and now everything works perfect!
  • burbugtoadburbugtoad Member Posts: 2
    Yes! The same thing is happening with my '06 Touring; it has about 25,000 miles on it. Recently - early in the morning - the panic button goes off when I use the keyless entry to unlock the door. I have to hold it down for at least 30 seconds before it shuts off. However, the horn and stuff goes off again when I'm driving! The first time I was just going around 40 mph, but today I was on the freeway doing about 70 mph when the horn started blowing and everything. Again, on both occasions, I had to hold the panic button down for about 30 seconds. Went to the dealership this afternoon, but of course it wouldn't do it's thing. The guy said I need to bring it in while the horn is blaring! Can't wait to drive down the street that way. He thinks it's some sort of elusive electric problem. UGH!!!
  • dcosnerdcosner Member Posts: 2
    I was driving my car, 2002 sebring, and it suddenly started running rough, and at the same time, the warning engine light was going on and off. It would go off, and then sporadically it would come back on, and everytime it did, the car started to feel like it was missing, or wasnt getting gas. Have it at the shop right now, but was wondering if this could be something major, as I have already put out about $1, 000 in assorted car repairs in the last 2 months. :confuse:
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    If you live in a cold winter climate it could be something as simple as ice in the fuel system. Not getting enough gas to the engine will certainly cause it to run rough.

It could be many other things, though.

If the CEL came on the fault code is stored in the car's computer. The shop can connect a scanner to the vehicle and look it up to help pinpoint the problem.
  • aangellaangell Member Posts: 1
    This is much like what happens to mine except I have noticed it only happens on extremely cold mornings--much to the chagrin of my neighbors as they do not exactly appreciate their 7am wake up calls. The horn goes off and after blowing awhile I can feel clicking in the steering wheel that suggests it is the security system when in actuality it is not. The horn only stops once the car has warmed up a little and it will go off at will while driving (yes, folks will pull over and let you by) if it is below freezing outside. I mean what the ? I have looked online and it seems to be a common problem and appears to have been diagnosed in others to be a faulty horn pad. Unfortunately knowing the problem and trying to get the dealership to repair this has been a real issue. Still working on it. Any Suggestions?
  • burbugtoadburbugtoad Member Posts: 2
    Yes! I finally got mine fixed. After having the alarm go off early in the morning - and yes, only when it was really cold - I took it to the dealer. They couldn't find anything wrong with the electrical system, but went ahead and put a whole new computer brain in the car. (It's still under warranty, thank goodness!) So, I brought the car home and it happened again the very next day. Back to the dealer I went. What they finally discovered was that it was not a faulty horn pad, but in the steering wheel assembly with the air bag. The air bag was replaced and I have not had any problems since, and it's been cold here! I was told that this problem should be in the Chrysler system by now. Your dealer may be able to pull it up and get info.
  • drivervadriverva Member Posts: 1
    How can I find out whether the problem is in the Chrysler system? Just this week my horn has starting going off whenever it feels like it regardless of whether it is parked, driving along, cold or warm. Based on a phone call the dealer thinks I need to replace the horn pad with airbag attachment for $600 to $900. I have figured out that the horn will stop if I touch it but I have not figured out what triggers it to go off to begin with. Your problem seems to mirror mine except for the weather. Also, my horn sounds an elongated blow not a pulsated blow like the panic button renders.

Anyone else having this problem?
  • light731light731 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I had this problem also. I have a 2005 Sebring touring convert. The airbag light was coming on occasionally. Then the horn would come on at random times. The car could be parked or running. If I hit the steering wheel at the center hard enough it would stop sometimes. I took it to the dealer and paid almost $800.00 to fix the horn pad/airbag attachment. It was the ONLY part not covered by my extended warranty on the steering column. Is this a common problem for Chrysler? My airbag light is coming on again and the dealer told me it is the Seat Belt pre-tensioner this time, nothing to do with the previous repair. They want another 350.00 to fix that. Of course it is not covered by the warranty either!! What good is the extended warranty anyway?
    What good is the extended warranty anyway?

Are you going by what they are telling you is covered or did you read it in the warranty details?

The reason I ask is we bought a 5 yr/100,000 mile extended warranty for our Chrysler. For 4½ years they told us that a rental car was not included if the dealer had to keep our car overnight for a repair. They also said that a flat tire change was not covered - something my wife needed at 11 p.m. one night.

I stumbled across the details of our warranty online one day and found out that they hadn't been telling us the truth.
  • bpals250bpals250 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone happen to know the ignition timing for a 2004 sebring 3.0 liter motor?
    Thank you,
    Robert
  • wholesalerwholesaler Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Chrysler Sebring Convetible 2.7L with a 601A or 610A code coming up on the computer. The idiots at tire plus where I just had a tire balance performed said they have no clue what that code was. Does anyone have an answer for me?

Thanks

Stephen
  • maryellexoxomaryellexoxo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Chrysler Sebring with about 35,000 miles..There is an yellow exclamation point under the drive letter "D". Is this something I should worry about? What does this mean?
    There is an yellow exclamation point under the drive letter "D". Is this something I should worry about? What does this mean?

The owner's manual will tell you what each of the icons and warning lights on the IP represent. The one you're referring to is a low tire pressure warning. Be sure and keep the tires inflated to the cold tire recommended pressure on the sticker on the driver's door jam.
  • azzuraazzura Member Posts: 7
    i bought a 1999 chrysler sebring lx last year, and have had a few problems with it. it had 81000 miles when i bought it.

the check engine light is on most of the time. when the computer is put on the car, the code is 1492 which they said is a manufacturers code. what does this code mean.

my mechanic told me that it is nothing to worry about, but i am concerned
  • 08_slvr_sea08_slvr_sea Member Posts: 2
    Hello all! I was wandering if it is possible for me to reset this indicator on a 2008 Sebring with out a programmer/reader? I have taken the car to the dealer and gotten the oil changed there as they did it for free. But they have removed that from their budget in order on cut back on costs. So I took it to the local Valvoline to get the oil changed and they did not have the information to tell them how to reset it. If I have overlooked where this was posted in a prior thread, I do apologize. Thanks for your time. ~ J
  • andy63andy63 Member Posts: 1
    my check engine light is on and wont go off, my error code is po137 what does this code mean.plese help.
    A quick Google search and...

P0137
    O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Either a defective O2 sensor or possibly a loose connection to it.
  • racerx01racerx01 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 Sebring Lxi and I'm having the same problem. My O2 sensors have been change, But I'm still getting the P0141&P0136 reading. I try resetting the system by discounting the battery but still no luck. The check engine light came back go. What did you do or canyou help.

Sincerely,
    JohnB :mad:
  • jbug1964jbug1964 Member Posts: 3
    The book states that the solid light has to do with the gas cap. The gas cap is tight but the light remains on. Can someone please HELP ME!!! I don't know how to reset this light.
    i have that same problem. the check engine light stays on all the time and my gas cap is on tight. does anyone have an answer for this.
  • qwestgirlqwestgirl Member Posts: 8
    I have an answer for this. I have been having the same issue. The check engine light in MY Sebring does not blink. It is a constant light when something is sending an error. I simply took my car to Advance Auto and allowed them to run a free scan with their little handy gadget and they were able to determine that there is air getting into the gas tank. The attendant told me that condensation will form causing the problem. So, he recommended that if it continues, try replacing the gas cap as it may be the source of the problem. I have not replaced it at this point, I simply make sure that when I put the cap on, I allow the cap to "click" AT LEAST six times as instructed by this attendant. No more issue!...Additionally, the light will stay on until it is checked by a mechanic and then THEY will reset the light and clear the code for you when they are done. But, ALAS.......Advance Auto will also tell you what error code is present (and heck, may as well get the necessary parts needed to fix it while you are there..LOL) & they will reset and clear the codes for you saving you a trip to the mechanic. PLEASE NOTE HOWEVER, if you are intending to take it to a mechanic to have the issue fixed, DO NOT let Advance Auto reset the codes for you. YOUR mechanic will need to see these codes in order to fix. Without them, they will not be able to determine the issue until your check engine light comes back on. I hope this helps with your issue!!!
    THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!! I will try this. I was almost to the point of wanting to sale the car.
    thank you so much for the information. I don't think we have an advance auto in new york. is that the same as pep boys.
    I recently posted about the engine light and gascap light staying on. Now the airbag light keeps coming on. Any advise?
  • light731light731 Member Posts: 2
    I get this message off and on. I have had my steering column replaced and my seat belt tensioner replaced at a cost of over $1,000.00. None of the work was covered by my so-called warranty that I bought. Neither fixed the problem. I notice when I move the passenger seat back and forth the light will come on the remain off and on for a while then I might not see it again for months. I still don't know what the problems is either but I don't trust Chrysler to look at it again the charge me more money that should be covered by my warranty. And, yes, I did fight that but lost.
    Unfortunately, Advance Auto is not the same as PEP Boys. If you have an Auto Zone in your area they will also reset the check engine light for you. I am sure that there are other "chain" auto stores that will also reset this light. You may need to just check around until you find one.

It amazes me how many people think that if the problem is fixed, the light will just go off by itself. Don't we wish!...The light has to be reset. You can also disconnect the positive side of your battery (about 10 minutes or so) and reconnect after that time. This will reset the light. However, you could end up with chugging and sputtering problems for a spell because the "memory" will also reset. Probably not something to recommend unless you have done this before.

Good luck!
  • mpereamperea Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 chrysler sebring LXi starting w/ speed problem after fueled ,dont want to change the overdrive and still rnning slow. The computer revealed code P0605 ,also the airbag and engine lights still on ,need some recommendations ,its that related to trasmission problem,im very worry Please help me!
  • tchado1tchado1 Member Posts: 3
    Hey, where did you go to get the blower motor fixed? Just wondering if a dealer is cheaper than someplace like pep boys...
  • tchado1tchado1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Just wondering if you could tell me about fixing the climate control fan ....my air bag light also just came on this week....
    Thanks, Chad
    tchado1@yahoo.com
  • shoethkeshoethke Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Chrysler Sebring convertible, 6 cylinder with 100,000 miles on it and recently the engine light came on and the code is p0302 which i was told was the 1/1 oxygen sensor, so i changed the sensor and the spark plugs and cleared the code but the enging light came back on and stays on, what can i do?
    It could be something as simple as a gas cap issue. I recommend going to either Advanced Auto or Auto Zone and having them run the scan to get the latest code. They will do this free of charge and even clear the code for you if that is what you choose. However, clearing the code is not recommended if you plan on taking it to a mechanic to fix. If the code is cleared they will not be able to determine if a problem in fact exists. Most places here, in Florida, won't guarantee that the work performed will fix the problem if they don't in fact know what that problem was. They will not diagnose the problem simply based on info supplied to them. They cannot even run a diagnostics test to determine the problem until that light comes back on.

I hope this info helps...Good luck! :)
    I am also thinking that the P0302 code may actually be a misfire...It could be any one of the following and in my case it was the camshaft position sensor.

* Faulty spark plugs or wires
    * Faulty coil (pack)
    * Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
    * Faulty fuel injector(s)
    * Burned exhaust valve
    * Faulty catalytic converter(s)
    * Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
    * Faulty camshaft position sensor
    * Defective computer (highly unlikely)
  • vegascarsickvegascarsick Member Posts: 1
  • css53css53 Member Posts: 4
    Battery light For the past 2-3 months, my battery light on the dash board lights up and then sometimes it does not even come on, comes and goes and my radio blinks on and off??
    Can you tell me what was wrong with your car? I am having same problem.
    I have a 1999 chrysler sebring with 92,000 miles. the check engine light stays on most of the time, and at times it goes off for days. what do you think is causing that. the car runs good.
    have been having the same problem with my battery light...ugh so i cleaned battery cables and guess what the light has gone away at least for now!!!
    There are two modes of check engine light illumination, the first is the light will come on for a short time then go off. This mode means there is a problem that is considered "minor". The next mode is the light stays on continuously. This means a minor problem has been allowed to continue for an extended amount of time or the problem is more serious and needs attention sooner than later. I recommend that you get the car checked for error codes and then go from there. This can be done FREE of charge at most retail chain auto parts stores such as Advance Auto. They can run a free scan that will display the error codes indicating the problem on your car, if any. PLEASE NOTE, if you are going to take the car to a mechanic to have it fixed should any codes show up, MAKE SURE that the check engine light is NOT reset until you get it to the mechanic. Also, make sure that you write down exactly what the error code(s) display...You can give this info to the mechanic fixing your car and save you $$ by not having to run the diagnostic again. Once they fix the issue, THEY will reset that light for you. If you have the light reset before going to the mechanic, they will almost always recommend the diagnostic testing again which is a waste. In addition, if they don't know the issue because of a check engine light reset, they won't guarantee the work if it doesn't fix the problem since they are basing the work to be performed off of your information, not off of the information supplied by running their expensive tests..The engine light is coming on for a reason. The car may be running good now but, better safe than $$ BROKE $$ later on when it becomes a bigger problem. Please keep us posted...I hope this info helps! Good luck! :)