Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick La Crosse Steering

gerrycgerryc Member Posts: 9
edited August 2019 in Buick
My 2005 LaCrosse, with some 18,000 miles, has developed a sound of rubber on rubber in the steering wheel when making a normal 90 degree turn in either direction. The sound is something like a squeak and is best heard when the radio/CD player is turned off. It is disconcerting for some passengers.

My dealer has done a road test and confirmed the squeak is there but has adopted a wait and see approach as this is the first instance brought to its attention. It checked with GM and determined it is not a reported problem.

Has anyone in this Forum experienced this noise problem? Has anyone who has been able to get the problem resolved?

Comments

• bluecxsbluecxs Member Posts: 5
    I have not had this particular problem.
    I have had squeaky door panels, squeaky console to dash joint, squeaky seats, etc.
    They fixed the console to dash by filing the mating surface. The fixed the squeaky seats by replacing stripped screws and loose rivets.
    They did not fix the interior door panels. They fixed the exterior door panels with lubrication, that runs down the side of the car.
    This car has the noisiest interior I have ever experienced.
    You have to keep bring it back, or bring to multiple dealers.
  • frankkfrankk Member Posts: 35
    >>This car has the noisiest interior I have ever experienced.<<

How long have you had it?

The reason I ask is because I rented a Lacrosse last March in Las Vegas and drove it to LA and back. It was very quiet (I think it had about 20K on it already). This experience led me to buy one.
  • bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    Could it be as simple as the rubber shroud surrounding the bottom of the steering column near the driver's feet? With the car parked and engine running, have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you listen down by your feet. Could just take a little WD-40 to stop the squeak. If you try this and the sound is past that point, I would do the obvious: check power steering fluid. After that, it's likely a steering rack issue.
  • gerrycgerryc Member Posts: 9
    Thanks BXD for your suggestions. Will the WD-40 have any adverse effects on the rubber shroud (erode, shrink, harden, etc)?

gerryc
    No. And even if it did, this is not a part that is visible to anyone riding/driving the vehicle. It kind of protects the column by the area where the column exits the passenger cabin. If you hear it in this area, you may have to remove a plastic panel to be able to put a light coat of spray in there.

Get a friend to help and give it a listen. :)
  • sscott3sscott3 Member Posts: 6
    I'm not sure I would use WD-40. Typiclaly rubber and petroleum don't get along. Silicone spray might be better. If it's rubber it probably isn't natural rubber anyway so you might get away with it. Most synthetic rubber or TPEs would tolerate WD-40.
    Silicon is fine too. My point was to use a light lubricating spray. I don't think it's real rubber, it's too plasticky and stiff to be that in my opinion.
  • gntlmnnmigntlmnnmi Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 CXS exhibited similar symptoms that evolved into a fluid leak which in a matter of minutes emptied the resevoir. The dealer repaired the fitting but now the energy required to turn the wheel has increased significantly...the dealer says "We can't feel any problem". I was told the 2006 had similar problems that was covered in a service announcement that allowed dealers to install a new gear. Your 2005 may have a similar service announcement...they haven't authorized the upgrade for the 2007s.
  • ddhuynhddhuynh Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I have a LaCrosse 2006 CXS with some 13000 miles and its has almost indentical to your problems. I brought it to 3 differnce dealer, but they could not get it fixed. What would we do next? Should I write a letter to GMC or buick?

Thanks.
  • gntlmnnmigntlmnnmi Member Posts: 2
    In a followup with the dealer, I was told GM addresses these problems through a "service announcement" -- something short of a recall. But, that we customers must periodically ask about the announcement -- they won't call us.

I plan to contact GM.
    The Lemon Law Firm can help us to push forward for recall. I just called tham at 1-888-477-1474 (Karen), and it will not cost us any thing but the GM.
    Thanks.
    How do I follow up on this? Is there any channel for commnication with GM?

Thanks
  • jcintennjcintenn Member Posts: 2
    For about 10 days ive had some klunking/knocking in my steering wheel. Turning Left or right and from take off. Today I went to the dealer and they replaced the Intermediate Steering Shaft. My Lacrosse had 28,000 on it when purchased and has 40,500 now.Luckily it was covered under warranty but i read on a another GM forum that this was a reoccurring problem with GM steering shafts.Anyone else had similar experience?

The difference in steering is amazing after the shaft was replaced. Very tight steering (Like A New Car) and absolutely no noise.
    Acually, they fixed the problem. But GM bought it back with full value of day one.
    I asked GM to buy back.

Thanks
  • rhinncrhinnc Member Posts: 66
    I have a 99 Silverado with 70000 actual one owner miles. The intermediate steering shaft was replaced at 300 miles, 32000 miles and 67000 miles. All free under warranty.

The service tech told me he changes 4-5 out a week. Just a bad design and I wonder if it is the same as my wifes 06 LaCrosse. It has 15k miles but no issues with the shaft so far.
  • jcintennjcintenn Member Posts: 2
    My Lacrosse is a 2006 also and had no problems til 40,000. (Well almost)

Take some tylenol with you if you ever have to get the Lacrosse keychain remote replaced

$183.00 for the one with Remote Start..That includes programming.
  • xqzmexqzme Member Posts: 1
    I had the problem on my 06 LaCrosse with 14k miles. GM bulletin #01-02-32-0010 covers this issue.
  • Buick_guyBuick_guy Member Posts: 8
    Some additional information for anyone still dealing with the clunking noise while turning, especially while pulling away from corner. The dealer replaced the intermediate shaft about 1.5 years ago saying there was a recall or many problems relating to this. Now at 40K miles, the problem is returning. Yes, the GM fix of using a so-called permanently lubricated shaft may not be 100% effective. I contacted the dealer informing them or a recurring problem and was told to bring it in. Has anyone had the shaft replaced some time ago without problems?
  • freddy515freddy515 Member Posts: 6
    Sounds like I need a new I shaft on my 2005 Buick LaCrosse with 21,000 miles on it.
    This condition started almost immediately after I bought the car new.
    I was told eventually it would go away but it has got worse.
    My dealer recently told me this is just an annoyance and is not dangerous and if they replaved it the fix may not work anyway.
    I called GM and they said since the car just went out of warranty I would have to pay for the new I Shaft if I choose to get it.
    They would not comment on whether this condition was dangerous or not.
    This doesn't sound right or fair to me--I mentioned the bulletin that was out on all LaCrosses made prior to 2006 and they said they would get back to me.

Does any of this make sense to anyone?
  • kairnskairns Member Posts: 8
    I've had the problem twice with my 2005 Lacrosse. First time was in January 2007 where the dealer re-greased the shaft joint. This was under warranty. Second time was this past winter (2008). This time I went to an independant mechanic (someone I use on a regular basis) and they took the shaft out and re-greased it again. It appears when the the dealer did it the first time, they didn`t use some sort of a cork plug to keep the grease inside the shaft. My mechanic purchased an after market kit for the Lacrosse which included the cork ends and white grease. Since the last repair, so far so good. The total cost second time was $45.00 including labor and repair kit.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    ".....This condition started almost immediately after I bought the car new.
    My dealer recently told me this is just an annoyance and is not dangerous and if they replaved it the fix may not work anyway.
    I called GM and they said since the car just went out of warranty I would have to pay for the new I Shaft if I choose to get it."

If you complained about the problem (please tell me you have it documented) when the car was new, and nothing was done, then it is still under warranty for that particular problem. Tell GM you have a copy of the repair from the dealer, (Presumably it would be dated 2005 or 2006, when you first reported it) and you want to fax it to them. Or, take the work order to a different dealer and explain your situation to them. I hope this helps.
  • luvsbeachluvsbeach Member Posts: 1
    Re remote - try keylessride.com. I got a new remote (and programmed it within 5 minutes) for my son's Chevy Blazer - $25. Refurbished ones are available for less. I have not looked at the site for a new remote with remote start, but they have to be cheaper than a dealer.
  • rhoertrhoert Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Buick LaCrosse (12k mi.) is developing a "clunking" sound when the wheel is turned. My previous 2 cars a 00 and 03 chev. Impala had similar sounds @ this mileage and were remedied by replacing /greasing the (I think) sector shaft. Is it posible that GM has'nt fixed this problem in 6 years and it still exists?
    It is most likely the Intermediate Shaft and has to be REPLACED not greased.
    I ran into this problem and got the run around until the car was out of warranty and had to pay to have it replaced and therefore I will never buy another GM car again.This has been a problem for a long time and GM never addressed it.
  • rhinncrhinnc Member Posts: 66
    My 1999 Chevy Silverado 4x4 had this issue ever since I bought it new. I am on my 4th one now (GM has paid for them all) My truck has 78k miles on it.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    >got the run around until the car was out of warranty

Show them the papers or have them look up the service records while in-warranty for your complaints about the steering shaft.

If worse comes to worse, have an independent get the updated shaft that's now available and put it in for you OR buy it for about $100 and put it in yourself. I'd rank it a 4.5 out of 5 on the shadetree skillset level, however.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I must have been fortunate to have an honest dealer. They knew exactly what the clunking noise was. The original design did Not have a permanetly lubricated shaft and once it became dry, the noise starts. Mine was replace with the upgraded design (sealed unit) and has been quite ever since. Good Luck!!
  • unclesalamiunclesalami Member Posts: 6
    How to I find/check the power steering fluid?
  • lacrossesoakedlacrossesoaked Member Posts: 87
    If you don't have an owner's manual, you can look at the manual for the 2007 LaCrosse, same procedure for the 2006 :

http://origin-buick-prod-iad.pnangis.gm.com/manuals/

power steering info on pages 378-379
  • dell46dell46 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2005 LaCrosse with less than 17000 miles. The steering noise was more pronounced on a right turn than on a left turn . I researched the NHTSA site and found many more complaints about this problem and also the service bulletin 010232001. I took this info to my dealer and right away he knew of the problem and said make an appointment to bring it in and verify that it was the intermediate steering shaft that was bad. He said with my mileage he would have no trouble taking care of it under warranty, which he did. They replaced the shaft. This is a very good Buick dealer who has always treated me fairly. I went home as another satisfied customer.
  • benc3981benc3981 Member Posts: 9
    I had posted about the steering noises in my new Lacrosse, General Motors finally posted a bulletin on the problem, my dealer called for me to bring my car in next week to replace the intermeadiate sateering shaft and the steering gear box, after all this denial from GM, they are finally going to repair my car,with pressure from an outside source
    I have read the previous posts and a couple refer to "grinding" noises when turning the steering wheel, especially when first starting up and attempting a moderate (not a sharp) turn. After driving 5 minutes or less, the problem is no longer present. I have had this problem since Day One, however, it has not gotten any worse. My questions are: is there a mechanical fix for this? Nothing to worry about? Thanks.
    I had the intermediate steering shaft replaced twice on my 2006 LaCrosse. The noise I heard was more "clunking" as I turned the corner, more noticable when pulling away from a stop. If it is this shaft, it will eventually make more noise but it is not going to break, just doesn't sound good. This was fixed for me under a recall warranty and I have not had any problem since. Hope you get your fixed as well.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    lacrossesoaked,
    Can you please email me with your VIN and current mileage? Thanks!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    edited January 2011
    Hi Christina,

I just finished emailing the requested info to your email as listed on your profile. If you didn't receive it, please post again.
    Thanks for your interest.
    May I suggest that you edit the previous post if you read this in 30 minutes of posting time to remove your email address. It may get picked up by the bots on the net and sold or abused.

Even the instructions for Post a Message try to remind us not to post our address.

THANKS! Just did as you suggested.
    Just to make the point: I can search for my username and edmunds.com on Google, and I come up with posts from the past, but not that distant, March 2010 for one.

Using your user name and just Edmunds, I get a post from January 22 has been saved for posterity by Google.

With sites like Spokeo who make a business of information, personal privacy is minimized. Spokeo lets people search for usernames, email addresses, as well as names to find information. Spokeo then tries to sell it to the person searching for it. But once you've learned a little on Spokeo, it's easy to garner more directly through the net without paying them.

So the hosts are trying to help us by advising not to put emails into the posts.

Hi Chistina (GM Customer Service),
    I received an email from this forum asking for my VIN# and mileage. I think from looking at the recent posts that the person going by lacrossesoaked has answered. I don't think you want mine since it has been fixed over 2 years ago and more than 10,000 miles ago. I think it had around 40K when the problem started.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Buick_guy,
    Thank You and I apologize for the confusion. I&#146;m glad your issues have been resolved. Have a great weekend.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    As I posted earlier..."".....This condition started almost immediately after I bought the car new.
    I called GM and they said since the car just went out of warranty I would have to pay for the new I Shaft if I choose to get it."

I got one and had to pay for it.....The original dealer went out of business--I explained this all to the Buick people on the phone but was basically told there was nothing that could be done....Now they send me bargain ads all the time about purchasing a new Buick....I will never purchase another GM car after the way I was lied to and treated !!
    They knew this problem existed BEFORE they sold me the car and they didn't treat me fair.
  • msumsu Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchase the 2010 Buick Lacrosse CXL brand new had it only for 5 months over all it is a wonderful vehicle, luxury I love it! However, recently I noticed a "grinding noise" in the Steering when I turn slightly or backing out of a parking space in reverse of turning into a parking space in drive. I took it to thedealership after going through GM. The Dealership stated that they will replace the entire front sterring of the vehicle since it is under warranty. My concern is that will I have anymore problems with steering once it been replace and out of warranty then it out of my pocket. Until it is replace as of now waiting on parts to arrive. I do not feel safe driving the car. The Dearlership guarntee that it is safe to drive. I prefer a brand new Lacrosse since this one have a major defect in the steering. Have anyone else had this similar problem?
  • msumsu Member Posts: 2
    Im having the same problem with my 2010 NEW LACROSSE
    It is amazing they are still having this problem.

They made me pay for this fix on my 2005 LaCrosse so I will never buy from them again.....6 years later they are still building cars with the same problem !!
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    good luck with fix. Will you please let us know the Bulletin # if they fix yuour Buick under a warranty or recal or Technical Service Bulletin #. We had a Pontiac that made "noises" but was never diagnosed correctly or fixed. Needless to say it is no longer in the fleet. We do have a new lacrosse so you input iand experience has great vlaue to us.
    Thanks
  • edoggy777edoggy777 Member Posts: 5
    I had mine done about a month ago. No problems and actually feels better!
  • benc3981benc3981 Member Posts: 9
    I had the same problem with my Lacrosse,took it to 2 different dealers for a fix, both told me GM was working on a fix for the problem, they assured me it was safe to drive thecar, I finally brought a Lemon Law suit against GM, my problem got fixed, new steering shaft and new steering gear
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    I'm begining to think GM spends an astronomical amount fixing build problems that should never have existed.
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    I agree with that comment. Beancounters used to advise it is cheaper to save a nickel on 100% of the output than to spend $800 repairing 1% of cars under warranty or other complaint mechanism. The rise of Consumer's, JD Power and the NHTSB have made that approach much more expensive. I feel they are gradually leaving that business model, since the cars are definately much more dependable now than in the past and offer greater value all in all. Engineering is catching up with known weaknesses such as the joint development of the current 6-speed AT in GM, Ford and others. Engines with little planned maintenance for 100,000 miles is another big step. Cars are tremendously safer now- check the great insurance rating on the new (2010/2011) Lacrosse.
    Thanks to all for posting this ongoing problem with the steering. My 2006 LaCrosse had the issue and after having the intermediate shaft replaced twice, it has been OK. I am about to purchase a 2010 Buick, but since GM has not fixed this, I will look for a better car, most likely not GM.