Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V Tires and Wheels

luxosportluxosport Member Posts: 22
edited August 2014 in Cadillac
The original Goodyears on my 3.6 2004 CTS are about ready for replacement at 23,000 miles. I was very happy with the Yokohama Avids I had on my wife's Buick. They looked almost new after about 25,000 miles so I'm considering them for the CTS. I've heard the only tire that "looks right" on the car is the Goodyear. I want a quiet ride and performance capability as well. Anyone riding on Avids? Happy with some other brand? Appreciate any response.

Comments

• teach76teach76 Member Posts: 9
    luxosport,
    Check my past posts/replies on tires for the CTS. I am very happy with the replacement tires on my '03 CTS - they are not Goodyear. :)
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I know one thing. I will not be replacing mine with Goodyears. As with you, they came on the car. I now have 22,000 miles on them and, unfortunately, they have plenty of tread left. They roar like the sound of a bad bearing.
  • supersmithsupersmith Member Posts: 1
    I bought an "04" CTS for my wife with 11000 on it. It was owned by an 85 year old lady, I knew her and it wasn't driven on Sundays at the local strip. When I test drove it, it noticed that the tires appeared to be cupped. Sure enough they were. I complained to the dealer and we came to an agreement on price, if they did something about the tires. Well their service dept. said they needed to be rotated. Bull. I took the car to a Goodyear Dealer, who got me a deal. Goodyear replaced all four tires, no charge. I rotated every 5500 miles. The Goodyear Dealer, realigned the car when the tires were installed. They checked the alignment again at the first rotation, because of cupping. Second rotation, cupping getting worse. Goodyear checked with local Cadillac Dealer and found that there was a sevice bulletin on this and the Camber and Toe should be Zero. Goodyear stood behind the tires and replaced them with a new set of Touring Performance Tires.
    Before replacing the second time I had the Cadillac Dealer do an alignment on the car to current spec's. They are close but not dead nuts. They won't tell me what the allowable tolerance is. They won't realign and reset it closer. They say it is closed enough. So who buys the next set of tires? Cadillac Customer Service says it should be realined at no cost to me. Dealer is refusing. This could get interesting.
  • lesstl1lesstl1 Member Posts: 21
    Supersmith, Right On. My 03 has exactly the same problems. Original Goodyears feathered (stairstepped front to rear on each tread element) and very noisy at 15K. Bal, rotated, aligned every 5K. Dealer verified correct alignment. Goodyear replaced tires. Another 15K later, bal, rotated and aligned every 3K, same result (feathering and howling). No dealer or tire dealer recommendations. Aligned closer to zero tolerance. Bought Bridgestone G 009s (directional tread). At another 20K (50K total), tires are starting to show some feathering and some noise, but not as bad. Rotated only front to rear due to directional tread. Everybody shakes their head in befuddlement and no recommendations. Caddilac dealers say 05 and 06s not bothered but alignment specs are almost identical. Any suggestions? Would demounting and swapping sides help as the inside does not seem as severe as the outside? :confuse:
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I have an '05 CTS. This is the first Cadillac that I have owned. I am accustomed to rotating tires at 15,000 on a rear wheel drive car and 10,000 on a front wheel drive. Big mistake on the CTS. I did not know that the recommended rotation is 5,000. The tires are very noisy with a roar. It is very irritating. I was hoping that when I did replace the tires and keep them rotated, as recommended, that I would not have that problem. After reading this, maybe not. The service supervisor at the Cadillac dealer told me that it had a very aggresive suspension. He said the car is really a race car. Obviously, that suspension causes problems. I doubt this happens in a BMW or a Mercedes which also would have aggresive suspensions.
  • anythingct3anythingct3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 CTS luxury sport package. My OEM Goodyear Eagles have 39,000 and I am thinking of buying new tires before the winter sets in. I have not had any problems with these tires. However I have noticed that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S gets high ratings. I would appreciate any comments about your experience with the Michelins as a replacement for the OEM Goodyears. Has anyone replaced the OEM Goodyears with the same Goodyears?
  • luxosportluxosport Member Posts: 22
    I also have the '04 sport and replaced my Goodyears with Yokohama Avid V4s. They are quieter and hold the road better than the OEM tires and are less expensive than the Michelin by about $50.00/tire!!If you check the most recent consumer reports you will see the value of the Yokohama.
    The Avid V is a performance rated tire so you can enjoy the power and handling of your CTS as I certainly do...
  • rphsrrphsr Member Posts: 1
    Has any one found OEM winter wheels and tires that will fit the oversize brakes on this model. Tire rack does not have any.
  • ray35ray35 Member Posts: 5
    I was the proud driver of a 2005 Cadillac CTS with a 3.6 V6. When I was at the the dealer, Cadillac of Whittier, buying the car I saw these beautiful MHT wheels on the showroom floor that were outstanding. They were MHT Neeper Rise in 20 X 8.5 inch size. I bargained the price which was a hefty $4,000 including Nitto Z rated tires, down to $2,000. They agreed and I bought the car with the wheels dealer installed. Everything was fine for 11 months, 6121 miles, and then two studs on my left rear wheel broke. I brought the car to Cadillac of Whittier and they replaced the two studs and said they checked all the remaining studs on all the wheels. 5 Months later at 8,453 miles the same left rear wheel experienced a complets failure. All 5 studs broke and the wheel fell off of the hub and became lodged in the fender well causing body damage. Luckily I was only going 30 miles per hour at the time. I had the car towed to the dealer. This time they would not take responsibility for the damage. They said I hit something. I said if I hit something the front wheel would have hit first and anyway the tire would have failed and the wheel would have bent before the studs would have broken. The tire still had air in it but was chewed up by fender well. Cadillac of Whittier would not budge. I called my insurance company ALlstate and had the car towed to a body shop. The repairs were made and the insurance company is now arguing with Cadillac of Whittier. I cannot trust this car anymore, my wife would not even ride in it, so I traded it in on a new Lexus ES 350. By the way the resale value of the Cadillac stinks. I lost half its value in 16 months of ownership and 8,500 miles.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    were the rims rated for the weight of the CTS?....20 inch rims are a larger upgrade for this car.......just wondering aloud here.....also with that rim and the lower profile tires...you are adding additional stress to the suspension.....I do find it unusual that all 5 studs would go at the same time..without some sort of castrophic failure....
  • ray35ray35 Member Posts: 5
    When I was in the Cadillac Dealer's showroom I saw a CTS with these wheels on it for sale. I would have bought that one except I did not like the color of the car. So I asked the salesman to put those wheels on the black CTS I chose. When you buy a car from a dealer you have to assume that they know what they are doing. Whoever put those wheels on the car is responsible. My son who is involved with racing believes that the installer stretched the studs by over torqueing them. When the two studs broke the first time the dealer should have replaced all five. The three studs that were left on the hub were further weakened when the first two broke. Later on, the three weakened studs broke and the two new studs could not handle the load so they broke also. That's is the scenario that we think happened.
    plausible...but GM will probably not get involved since the dealer installed the aftermarket wheels which were not OEM from GM....just my thought.....if they fixed the first time...it would appear they would fix the second time.....especially with the castrophic failure..of all 5 studs......that simply doesnt happen....IMHO.....good luck with the outcome....

all service departments are not alike.......so no...dealerships dont necessarily know what they are doing either....
  • larryszallarryszal Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2005 3.6L V6 CTS, 16,500 miles, just took the car for a NY State inspection and learned that I need tires and brakes. The price of the car was approx $37,500, I am disappointed that the life of the tires and brakes is so low.
  • larryszallarryszal Member Posts: 8
  • cdubayoucdubayou Member Posts: 1
    I have only had my cts for 4 mths and I have been trying to decide on wheels. I have 17's and thought I wanted 18's but now I'm thinking 20's. I'm struggling w/factory or aftermarket. I don't want to look like a pimp, but I do want bling bling. :shades:
  • jarrettwjarrettw Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2005 CTS with the 17" Sport package. I need to replace the factory Goodyear Eagle RS A tires. Does anybody have any experience with other W rated brands, price, mileage etc. Thanks
  • awesomeaustinawesomeaustin Member Posts: 1
    i have an '03 cts and was wanting a set of 20" wheels for my ride. I dont know alot about the sizes and offsets. i was wondering if anyone had any inclination on what offset and possibly pictures showing examples of one with that size wheel?
  • rbb3rbb3 Member Posts: 1
    My CTS needed front tires after two years (replaced other tire due to blow out) , the mobile mechanic said it was a bad alignment, the store mechanic said that the tires are only good for 25000 miles. So add $500 a year for tires, add $100 one alignment every year (no assurance or guarantee on alignment at dealer) and $ for one rotation a year-- That's about an extra $80 a month just for tires. With all that the tire busted the threads while driving.
  • deb413deb413 Member Posts: 1
    I purchases my CTS in September of 06 and I've already replaced a tire due to bulging or bubbles. I was told that it was my fault I must have hit a pothole! I have been driving for several years..too many to mention and I've never replaced a tire in 9 months and I've gone over many potholes. I've also complained of strong vibrations when you accelerate to merge on to a highway.
    I don't feel that the rest of the tires are holding up very well the car seems very low so I probably be back at the dealership again! :(
  • wascowasco Member Posts: 4
    Cadillac replaced my tires at 10,000 on my 07 CTS after I complained of a vibration and a bulletin came out, and at 28,000 miles I got the vibration back and the dealer told me my tires were bad again. Since part of the replacement bulletin was to alignment the tires after replacement, I showed where the dealer didn't do that so I convinced them to replace the front two tires and I paid for the back. After doing that, I still have a vibration just after 40 mph and right aroung 65 mph. I thought I was losing it until I read this forum and see it must be a common problem.
  • dina4dina4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 cts with the sport suspension package, I have had problems with tires, wheels and vibration since the day I brought it home. I have had 12 new tires, it has been realigned and tires rebalanced numerous times and all I keep hearing is that it is adverse road conditions. It also pulls to the right significantly which according to the service manager is because the earth is round. I finally got a lawyer after being told by a dealer not to return again with the same problem. After 8 months of financial offers they finally agreed to replace the car. I went to pick out a new one only to find the 3 I test drove with the sports suspension did the exact same thing, the salesman was speechless. I truly believe there is some kind of fault with these cars that they are not willing to acknowledge. I am so sad about this because other than this issue I am very happy with the car.
    I don't have the sports suspension. When I'm going on any type of incline between 45 to 50 mph, and on the highway over 65 mph the car vibrates. After replacing the four tires, aligning the car, it still did it. Last week they just replaced the differential, and there's no difference. Fortunately my service tech is very nice, but doesn't know what else to do. He said he'll do some more homework and call me next week, but in the meantime I'm going to start to look into the lemon law.
  • jessie64jessie64 Member Posts: 2
    hello, there is nothing wrong with the cts, I have a 2006 I have owned it for 1 year and 7 months! the problem I did run into were bad vibrations as a result of the tires! there is a bulletin out on the good year tires they put on the cts! I have had the tires replaced a couple of times after arguing with cadillac and the dealership for about a month or so I requested a different brand tire other than good year! I had them put michelin tires on and the ride is fantastic again like when I bought it! The good year tires have a defect excessive road force! they do not high speed balance and they have flat spots on them! usually a tire has a flat spot from sitting all night these tires do not take shape until they are warmed up and then they just get worse and do not shape up at all! the tires are bad ! they will effect the entire performance of the car any car for that matter! good year tires are bad!!!!!!!!
  • jessie64jessie64 Member Posts: 2
    IF THEY ARE GOOD YEAR TIRES THAT THE CAR HAD WHEN PURCHASED GET DIFFERENT TIRES! GOOD YEAR ON THIS MODEL ARE NO GOOD!!!!!! CAUSING VIBRATIONS!
    use a road force balancing machine as well.....that seems to get rid of the problem....most techs dont know how to properly use a machine or balance a tire today it seems..particular at a dealership....hunter makes a good machine for this I beleive...it may cost you more for this type..but its worth it
    Cadillac rep came in town Friday and drove car for himself. They are keeping it over the weekend because they say something is causing the engine to mis. Doesn't sound like a tire problem.
  • wunderbreadwunderbread Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if you've resolved this problem yet, but it sounds to me like you have a lock-up problem. The speeds at which you're describing your vibration is when the torque converter clutch engages, aka 'lock-up'. A lock up clutch can shutter/chatter on engagement--this problem is easily and often misdiagnosed as an engine misfire. There is a GM service bulletin on this exact problem for your car. Most of the time it is fixed by a simple reprogramming of the computer, if that does not fix it then step 2 is a new torque converter. Hope this helps, I can get the bulletin # if you need it.
    Problem solved. The rep finally came in and while I had my car in I told them I also needed an oil change too (I was about 2,000 over normal change time). Dealer called me back and said I had almost no oil in my car (kind of accusatory). I told them On Star told me I had oil life left and showed them the print outs they sent and I've had my car in several times for the shutter problem since my last oil change. They agreed to replace my entire engine under warranty and the shutter problem is gone with the new engine. They also charged me for the oil change (you'd think you'd get oil with a new engine).
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    Oil life and oil level in the crankcase are two different things. The oil monitor may say that there is oil life left even though there is no oil in the engine. You should check the oil level when you fill up the fuel tank or on some other regular basis.
  • jazzmon1951jazzmon1951 Member Posts: 9
    the original goodyears lasted 30k. currently my cts has 65k with original brake pads, something is not right there.
  • jazzmon1951jazzmon1951 Member Posts: 9
    for safety reasons stay with OEM.
  • 91199119119911 Member Posts: 54
    Please post Service Bulletin you referred to in item 31...about programming the computer or replacing the torque converter.

I have a 2008 CTS with 1200 miles and I experience a vibration from 40 through 65 MPH, it is worse when on an incline (slight or steep) it is worse at 40-42 MPH. Vehicle also vibrates in reverse when backing out of my garage (slight downward slope) with basically no accelerator applied.

Anyone having this problem please reply.

Cj
  • hatectstireshatectstires Member Posts: 1
    I am leasing a 2005 CTS. I have replaced the tires 5 times since 2005 and I have replaced two rims and had one rim straightened out. I am just finding out that I'm having problems because I have the 17 inch tires which come with the sports package. I'm told that this package is for highway driving and not city driving. Well, why didn't the dealer say something before I drove it off of the lot. Right now, I'm fed up. I contacted GM, they pulled my records and thought that giving me a $60.00 credit was enough compensation for this problem. Then, I get on this web site and find out that everyone is having tire problem. I feel as though I riding on plastic rims with balloons for tires. How can anyone design such a high end car and put such poor quality tires on this vehicle. I have owned GM cars for 12 years and I've never had problems like this with the tires. Oh, and don't purchase a Saab because the tires are equally poor. I'm truly upset because I was looking forward to the 2008 CTS. I feel that the car performs well. I love driving it but I'm always concerned about the next blow out. This is totally unexceptable. I will not be leasing or purchasing another GM car.
    your dealer is blowing smoke if you beleive a perfromance package...all summer tires is for highway only......you need to get a good road force balance done on all wheels using a good hunter machine and a mechanic who knows how to properly balance a wheel...

Im betting that will solve your problem....not all tire shops or dealers have this machine...
  • 91199119119911 Member Posts: 54
    Wunderbred,

Please post the bulletin # you wrote of in item # 31. I'm having vibration and rumbling noises at speeds between 40-65 MPH. Dealer want's me to let the tires run in for 7-8,000 miles. The vibration is worse at 42-43 MPH and in a slight pull or trying to maintain that speed straight and level.

Help!
    Cj
  • GovertGovert Member Posts: 1
    The Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) = 08-07-30-044 (reflashed TCM with software modification per bulletin).

I had the same issue as you are describing. Totally resolved after applying this TSB by my dealer. There is a warning with the TSB that the mpg may go down. Haven't noticed anything significant sofar.

It made all the difference to me. Highly recommend the solution. My CTS is once again just one great car. Wouldn't trade it for anything else.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    edited November 2010
    You are exactly describing a problem I had with my 2009 CTS at16,000 miles. Dealer replaced front wheel bearing. Problem solved.
This discussion has been closed.