Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper: Problems & Solutions

revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
edited October 2014 in MINI
Talk about and solve your problems here!

Comments

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    for Mini Cooper owners to discuss their vehicle problems and solutions. Have you experienced any problems with your Mini Cooper? Please share your solutions here. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    In addition to the feedback here, be sure to check out the Helpful Links and Additional Resources on the left side of the page. You'll find direct links to other Mini discussions and resources throughout Town Hall.

Revka
    Host
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    ... is the fact that there are no dealers in my state (Texas)! It is going to take a leap of faith for me to order a car from an out-of-state dealer, fly to pick it up, drive it home, and then discover a fault that can't be fixed because local BMW-only dealers won't service my car :(
  • segestasegesta Member Posts: 27
    I hate automatic air-conditioning systems in cars. My Mini came with the Premium package, so I'm stuck with it.

My question: why is it that when the system is Off, I still get warm air blowing up on the windshield? Does anyone else find that Off doesn't seem to really mean Off?

The owner's manual remains unenlightening. Thanks for any insights.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    still have a little bit of flow even when off. Every car I've owned has a tiny bit of air flow when off. I think it's to keep the cabin from becoming to stuffy, or possibly, to keep the air from becoming unhealthy under certain circumstances. On manual systems (non-climate control) it will blow at what temperature you have the knob set at even though it's "off". I don't know how that would work with climate control though.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    For no air without auto climate control, you put the fan in position 0 and press in the recirc button -- is there an equivalent with ACC?
  • segestasegesta Member Posts: 27
    Ah, the recirc button. That might do the trick. Thanks.

PS it's a measure of how great my Mini is, that the only problem I have is a trivial air-conditioning matter!
  • stryderstryder Member Posts: 140
    Not that I'm trying to be annoying, but the helpful links (and the TCO link) for MINI's don't exist. I assume this is due to collecting the data from MINIUSA and other sources. I'm getting depressed looking for stuff on my car and going from Mercury to Mitsubishi :(. I have however found MINIUSA's email support to be quite useful, they even answered senseless questions like what the button on the middle of the dashboard is (the temp. sensor for climate)
    on this page have been fixed. Stryder- Thanks for letting me know. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • richardjenkinsrichardjenkins Member Posts: 20
    So I guess from the lack of postings here all the Mini's must be outside playing in the sunshine?
    I seem to have bought some British weather with this car as we've had mostly rain (even some snow, OK that's Canadian) since I bought it. Oh well, at least I can legally run with my cool looking foglamps and I know the speed sensitive wipers work really well. ASC+T, EBD, CBC and ABS work well too.

I have a slight left pull in my car that I'll be mentioning to the dealer. I heard of really bad left pulls (unintended lane changes) with some other cars but mine isn't that bad, just feels like the alignment is a bit off. I had a dash rattle but it has all but gone away without intervention so overall I'm very pleased with the way my car was put together.
  • misterbeanmisterbean Member Posts: 7
    I've got the auto climate as well - what i've discovered is that when it's on - turn it to "low", then turn off... if you now just use the fan, it'll then push cool air through the vents when the a/c is off... I would have not gotten the auto climate stuff - but as you, it was part of the package. Love the car!
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    I guess it was inevitable, but the new MINI is starting to have problems. Cracking windshields, broken transmission linkages, faulty clutches, etc. I'm beginning to worry as my car is due in NJ on June 4th and my dealer is 80 miles away. I don't look forward to trips back and forth to correct these issues. Any comments?
    Yes, I've read of such problems. It is a first-year car so some will have glitches. That said, those with problems post more messages than those without problems. Recently built cars seem to have many or most problems solved (I believe the windshield issue is very old for instance).
    I'm happy to say that simple use of Armorall Interior cleaning wipes (the generic ones, not the fabric, leather or window ones) cleaned up the scuffs on the driver's seat leatherette from me sliding into the seat of my MINI. If the wipes hadn't done the trick I would have 'splurged' for the spray and some rags but for now the wipes seem more convenient, just pull one out, use it and toss it.
    Good point about first year vehicles (i.e. Mini Cooper) and glitches. The trade off of course is the excitement of being one of the first on the road with the new model....

Also, good leather tip. Here's another one that worked for me: I once used a small piece of detailing clay to rub off a 2 inch long ink mark! You have to be careful though, that you don't rub off too much of the top surface. Otherwise your left with an even bigger problem. Talk later, and happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagon
    This is not a first year car - it has been in Europe for sometime. I don't think BMW would bring it to North America with serious glitches - such a risk! I have a few problems - not serious. The dealer has been good to deal with, so I'm not worried...
    It has only been made since October in the UK so it has been out for less than a year. The BMW MINI has very little in common with the previous Rover, Austin, Morris Minor, etc. versions other than styling cues and the name.

Small changes were required for the north american market and these changes make it new since the beginning of this year.
    This is a great site for what's going on in Europe - and says that the Mini was released in July '01. I consider this a second year car...

www.autoexpress.co.uk
  • someblondeguysomeblondeguy Member Posts: 45
    It's not even July 2002 yet.

If the Mini debuted in the U.K./Europe in July 2001, and currently it's the beginning of June 2002, then it hasn't even been out for a whole year yet.
  • minimike2minimike2 Member Posts: 50
    Well, I really don't see a lot of problems here.

Looks like the only guy complaining is the guy with the "automatic" air conditioning...who prefers less "creature comforts". Yes, there is an off button...

If since May 9th the worst problem is Automatic Air conditioning....I would say this is the best first year car I've ever seen....
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    Not according to the Edmunds "Consumer Rating", the MINI only scores a 7.7 overall. Many very unhappy MINI owners in there. Mostly stalling and rattle issues. Interesting reading, I guess they didn't bother posting here. Lot's of positive posts as well - but the unhappy ones are really unhappy.

As a point of reference the GTI has a 9.4 consumer rating.

Go to NEW, click on MINI and click on Consumer Rating on the right.
    Some of those might be real but all those people who say it drives like a moped and has no power after driving it for 2 or 3 months should LEARN HOW TO TEST DRIVE A VEHICLE BEFORE THEY BUY IT. They should also learn how to drive a vehicle PERIOD -- you can get the base Cooper to 60MPH in 8 seconds if you now how and that's no moped.

I bet many of those reviews are just from jealous owners of other cars. One guy complains that he doesn't like the car as the girls he dates now question the size of his manhood -- come on, you don't honestly believe that guy. How come none of those people (and I do mean NONE) have posted either here or in the Cooper owner's thread?

And these people should learn how to fill out a survey properly -- just because a car left you stranded doesn't mean the interior design is worth 1/10.

I always wonder why owners of other cars come over to forums about problems with other cars just to post about THEIR car. This isn't the MINI vs. others forum -- there are several of those that you've already discovered. If you have something helpful to say about a MINI problem, please chime in but otherwise, you should save your comparison comments for the appropriate forum.
  • someblondeguysomeblondeguy Member Posts: 45
    It's not fair to compare a first year, new from the ground up MINI, with a car that's been out a few years and has had the chance to have the bugs worked out of it. (I'm referring to the GTI).

Those consumer ratings will surely change as BMW gets the bugs out of their MINI's.

P.S. Had Edmunds' consumer rating system been around when the current model GTI debuted, I'm sure its (the GTI's) rating would have been lower, as well. Give it time. The MINI's rating will improve.
    Frankly I was suprised at how well the GTI did in the consumer review. Usually people are complaining about some of the same things I read in the MINI consumer review. Personally I've never had any issues with rattles in my GTI, apparently others have. One area the GTI never seems to have a problem is drivability, they always start and run great, rattles and minor electrical problems seem to plague some GTI's. That seems to be the way it goes with a lot of cars - some have issues and others don't.

I will revisit MINI ownership when the lease is up on my GTI in a couple of years. Those consumer reviews wouldn't deter me from MINI ownership. I've owned first year BMW's in the past (92 E36 325is) that had minor issues, BMW took really good care of me. One of the main reasons I didn't get a MINI S this time was the deplorable dealer experience - I wouldn't have bought a MINI skateboard from those clowns.
  • minimike2minimike2 Member Posts: 50
    Those ratings are worthless. You can read them and tell the people bashing the car don't even have them....just look at the made up names and what they say. In fact half of them are from a single person in the Bay area and is a guy as he keeps eluding to.

For someone who works at an Internet company, I find it disqusting when companies put up these absolutely worthless Internet Mini polls. If your going to do statistics, do them right or don't do them at all. Having taken many statistics classes, computer statistics as well as business statistics, Statictics done wrong are worthless.
  • mailewanmailewan Member Posts: 1
    i've gotten my mini(auto) for a bit over 1 month and it's been in the shop twice already. the first time i had to have it towed cuz the eml and service engine light came on and the car wouldn't go. the dealership fixed it by replacing the electronic throttle controller. well, it happened again but this time i was able to drive to the dealership with a little sputtering. right now, they are still working on my car and have not called me back on what seems to be the problem yet. has anyone had the same problem with their mini?
    Sorry to hear about your problem. I hope they have it sorted out for good very soon. I have heard of something similar on www.mini2.com -- that's the best place I've found for MINI discussions. Go see the Faults and Fixes forum in the Commutity|Forum section and post about your trouble or use the search function to look for it.

My car is a 5-speed but the throttle controller part should be common to all Coopers. I haven't had that problem. I've had the car for over 4 months and almost 7000km and it has never let me down (knock on plastic, particle board and wood).
  • 2shifty2shifty Member Posts: 6
    I live approximately 2 hrs. from the nearest Mini dealer and was wondering how often you are having to take the mini in for problems and for what reason? I love the looks and am thinking seriously about purchasing one but was concerned since it hasn't been out very long here in the usa? Do you have any regrets? Do you own a Mini or Mini S ?
    It isn't a Toyota but mine has been good. I've had my Cooper since April, over 7500km of driving. It needed the gearbox linkage recall fix done (never broke, just did it preventatively) but new ones don't have that problem. The top of the driver's seat back popped off a bit which they replaced but it wasn't really that noticable so you wouldn't need to get it fixed unless you hated it.

The first service is at ~16000km (10000miles) and the next one is at ~40000km (25000miles) so for service you won't need to visit them often (and you could always change the oil yourself).

I have no regrets about getting this car overall. I sort of wish I'd waiting for the 2003's (now out) as I hear they'll have an AUX input in the radio (maybe not the first ones but I hear they're phasing in the new head units), while I have to buy an AUX adapter for mine to use my MP3 player (I have an FM transmitter which is fair, not great for sound quality). But on the other hand, I've enjoyed having a rare car (still rare but I do see a couple per week now while I almost never saw another one months ago). For a first year car, I think it is well put together.
  • stryderstryder Member Posts: 140
    2Shifty, Since you don't have one, if you're worried about quality issues, nearly everything that has broken has been addressed at the factory, so assuming you buy an '03 (Sept '02 build or later) I imagine you won't experience tons of problems. I've been to my dealer a few times, but always because of customizing programming options except for the time I too went for the recall as a preventive measure. If you can live with the car not being the world's best made car but merely a high quality car, you should be fine. Oh, I also have a Cooper, got it in April as well. They have been out for nearly 6 months now, and over 14 months around the world, (there are actually very few differences across countries). It was just announced there are a bit over 15,000 on the road in the US now, so its no longer an experimental car, you just may not see them because you're far away from a dealer.
  • happycarhappycar Member Posts: 17
    In the past, most cars had a cable attached to the duct doors. Most cars nowadays with air condition have a diverter door within the duct system. With the system off, their is no vacuum applied to the duct door diaphram and hence the door allows outside air into to cabin. With the system turned and set to the maximum or recirculate mode, the door is positioned to block the warm outside air from entering the cabin so the pre-cooled air stays within the cabin and becomes cooler faster. If you want no outside air to enter but ain't hot, keep it on max and the fan on low just to keep the doors closed. This is very helpful when entering tunnels where the fumes accumulate.
    I decided to go ahead and order me a Mini. I ordered a Liquid Yellow, with a white top and bonnett stripes. They are expecting delivery in mid-November. Can't wait! They are having a Mini Sunday Safari here in a couple of weeks where you look for landmarks to answer a quiz and win prizes. Have any of you been on one of these runs? They are for Mini owners and future Mini owners.
    I need seat belt extenders for the Mini because my wife is real short and the seat belt hits her at the throat even with the height adjustment on the seat belt. I know that my Saturn has Seat Belt Extenders. They are actually designed for people who are to big for the normal seat belt, but it also works good on us short fella's too. The Mini dealer didn't know anything about them. Any Suggestions? Mini Thanks!!
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Hi,
    Where are you ordering now to get November delivery? Had you been in line? Or just get lucky?
    Thanks
    Footie,
    I live in Ohio. They said the delivery time would be Mid-November. It is a Cooper not a Cooper S. The waiting time for a Cooper is less than when you order a Cooper S. A Cooper S would have been delivered in May. I am using the Cincinnati Mini Dealership. I am tracking the progress of my mini on the Miniusa web site. It is pretty neat! What do you have??
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    I put a deposit down on a Cooper S in Boston on June 23rd. I will get it the spring next year -- unless Mini sales fall off with the economy softening.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Any info on how things went at Cincinnati MINI? Are they selling for MSRP, or more? How were you treated there? Thanks for any info. I drive right by there on the way to work everyday.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hey, kyfdx My Mini sold for exactly the same estimate I got from the web site Mini usa where you build your own mini. It was the same MSRP. No markups!! As far as the people at Cincinnati Mini, all I can say was the treatment was MAXIMUM at the MINI store.They were all great. Amy really knows her Minis and so does Gibson. It has been a pleasure doing business with them all. My mini should be here in Mid-November. Just look for the license plate 2shifty and honk! Don't hesitate--run!!! Your mini is waiting!!!
  • donniemacdonniemac Member Posts: 8
    2002 Cooper with 1200 miles. Took a long rural drive, 100 miles, in the rain yesterday, drove moderately hard for the conditions. Went out to dinner and when I got back in the Mini, I noticed that both the DSC and the tire pressure indicator lights were on, not flashing. Lights were not noticed right away, about 2 blocks from the coffeeshop, so I don't know if the lights came on as soon as I started the Mini or after I left the parking spot. It was a tight spot so I was concentrating on getting out of the spot. Checked tire pressure, and did a reset (Owner's manual instructions were hard to follow) which seemed to take, at least for 10 miles. Per the manual, flashing lights indicate low tire pressure and DSC working, solid light indicates a system problem. The manual also says that sometimes the tire pressure system will give a solid light after driving where some tire slip occurred (definitely yesterday's drive, but not on the way to dinner). Nothing like that comment in the DSC section. Anyways, if the lights do not come on again, I will wait and mention this condition and action at service I. Has anyone had similar experiences?
    Thanks for any thoughts.
  • ugly1ugly1 Member Posts: 52
    I've been to the dealer twice and every time I go and look at the MINI the same ugly thing rasies its ugly head. My question is, has anyone heard of the tach on the steering column being removed and replaced either on the column or elsewhere by something else?
    In other markets, they sell a MINI ONE which has no tachometer at all so you don't need one (certainly don't with a CVT). Maybe you can just take it off from there and hang an aftermarket one somewhere else?

In Australia the small instrument on the steering column is the speedometer while the big one in the centre is the tachometer. I don't know if a switch is possible.

If you get the navigation system you get a small tachometer and a small speedometer both on the steering column but you might find that even worse.

Personally, I like the tach on the column where it is.
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    You do still need a tach even if you have a Cooper CVT. I always want to know what the engine is doing and the RPM needle provides gobs of information about the health and performance of the engine.

The CVT has a "6 speed" Steptronic mode, and the tach needle is essential to make those upshifts and downshifts at the precise moment in time.

Besides in the MINI ONE you get an ugly empty space in front of the steering wheel due to the removal of the tach cluster.
  • dieseldustdieseldust Member Posts: 1
    I have a MINI Cooper with just over 16,000 Km. (10,000 Miles) on it. So far I am averaging 1 deficiency every 1000 Km. The list so far:

1. Engine Sound insulation caught fire.
    2. Front end suspension parts have been replaced.
    3. 12 volt trunk plug came out completely upon first use.
    4. Engine has had a valve job.
    5. Seats don't return easily to upright position.
    6. Air bag harness has been replaced.
    7. Car was delivered with a dent in the A pillar.
    8. Engine staul out after cold start.
    9. ECM light comes on after quick stops. Or quick change in engine revs.
    10. Trunk hatch loosens and rattles requiring adjustment.
    11. Second adjustment for loose hatch.
    12. Silver paint on steering wheel hup already chipping off.
    13. After valve job to correct staul out problem, the problem still persists.
    14. Intermittent low tire pressure warning, but tire pressures are ok.
    15. Plastic body parts easily removed in auto car wash.
    16. Transmission is being replaced for warn differential.

If this is what I've experienced in the first 10 months of ownership, what is in store for the balance of ownership. I certainly can't recommend this vehicle as a sensible reliable vehicle. It is such a shame as the driving experience in the car is phenomenal and the technical engineering of this car is fantastic. However, on mechanical principal, do not by one of these cars unless they are much improved.
    Your MINI ownership experience isn't at all normal - I'd suggest you have a lemon. Any car manufacturer can produce a lemon now and then, it sounds like you have one.
    I haven't heard of any north american MINIs which have had that many repairs, just very early ones in the UK.

My MINI Cooper with nearly 15000km on it has had 1) a preventitive recall done on the gear linkage; 2) and the plastic trim on the back of the driver's seat repaired as it popped off and wouldn't stay on; 3) plus the rear hatch adjusted once because of a rattle. All very minor stuff. This is a February built car. I love my MINI Cooper and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to a friend or a family member.

I hope your car is now fixed and you can enjoy trouble-free motoring from now on.
    because it was not appropriate for this discussion.

Just a reminder that this discussion was created specifically for Mini Cooper owners to share their vehicle problems, and hopefully find solutions. Messages that are not in line with these goals will only clutter this board making it difficult for owners to discuss/resolve their Mini Cooper problems. Okay?

Feel free to send me an email if you have any question/comments. And now, back to the subject Mini Cooper - Problems & Solutions. Thanks!

Revka

Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons

First of all, I don't see this car being called a lemon under any definition. It is only a lemon if the same problem can't be repaired after multiple visits or the car is under repair for more than a certain number of days. While that car has seen an inordinate number of repairs I doubt it would qualify as an actual lemon yet.

And unfortunately, that lemon law info applies only to the USA. Just like it varies from state to state it also varies from country to country. In Canada, auto manufacturers can chose whether or not to participate in the consumer-manufacturer arbitration system which is what amounts to the lemon law here. MINI Canada and its parent BMW Canada do not participate in the programme and there is no other lemon law to help here so a BMW/MINI customer with serious problems will need to find a lawyer if they fail at all attempts at getting their dealer and the parent company to repair or replace their car. Hopefully it won't come to that!
    I'd ride it out and get it repaired, at some point it will be dependable for many miles. I had a new BMW that had a lot of issues it's first year. Once I got past that year it turned out to be a very dependable car for close to 170k miles.
  • timk5timk5 Member Posts: 2
    We have a MINI who flashed his marker lights and repeatedly locked his doors throughout the night.
    After a trip to the dealer, he now repeatedly and randomly unlocks his doors through out the night. Of course, he could be doing this during the day as well - when nobody is looking.
    Does ours have personality, or might these be messages coming from the cemetery down the street?
    Oh, and I believe that 12V thing in the back lacks a bit of a fastener system.
    What do you think?
This discussion has been closed.